PDA

View Full Version : No home playoffs games for JMU for 2 years

Dukie95
August 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Because of stadium construction.

No official link right now, but the twittersphere and CAAZone are abuzz with this development.

http://twitter.com/VASportspen

AppStsGr8
August 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM
OUCH!

93henfan
August 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Oh, I was thinking they had approved a sports lottery in Virginia when I saw that title.

Dukie95
August 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
It likely won't affect us that much anyway.

We went what, 12 years without a home playoff game prior to last year? As long as App St. keeps making the field, our only chance to get a home game is with a seed anyway.

Uncle Rico's Clan
August 14th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Does each phase of the expansion require that much time that the administration is willing to risk losing home playoff games? I'm curious why that decision would be made.

Dukie95
August 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Does each phase of the expansion require that much time that the administration is willing to risk losing home playoff games? I'm curious why that decision would be made.

Well the first year, yes. They're tearing down and replacing an entire side of the stadium. In order to get it done by the start of the 2010 season, they need to start as soon as the Towson busses roll out.

The next year, I'm not so sure...they're adding permanent seating to an endzone that only has temporary bleachers today.

Edit: Actually the first year they're tearing down the one side and building up to the same height as today. The following year, they're adding on the extra height. The year after that comes the endzone.

jmufan999
August 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
totally worth it.

Dukie95
August 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM
What happens should JMU and UD meet in the playoffs in the next two years...

We should all hope for that to actually happen.

The Moody1
August 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
What happens should JMU and UD meet in the playoffs in the next two years...

We should all hope for that to actually happen.

I am sure they would set up the brackets to make that impossible.

Husky Alum
August 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
What happens should JMU and UD meet in the playoffs in the next two years..

Two Words....

PARSONS FIELD.

Uncle Buck
August 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Two Words....

PARSONS FIELD.

I swear it, i have to get to Parson's once in my life to see the mystique of this parking lot/stadium. :p

GannonFan
August 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Frankly, I think it's all just an excuse so that JMU doesn't need to put up the money required to host - they've been cheap before (losing a bid to Lehigh in '04) so I think this is their master plan to cover that contingency again. Yup, spending the millions they are to expand the stadium is their way to avoid being overbid by a Patriot League team again!!! xlolxxlolx

93henfan
August 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Two Words....

PARSONS FIELD.

xbowx xlolx

appfan2008
August 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
bummer for jmu but i guess it will be worth it in the end... does a week or 2 really matter for the construction?... what about if you are a seed?... that will be weird...

Uncle Rico's Clan
August 14th, 2009, 10:58 PM
If it really is that much of a time crunch hopefully the construction guys work quickly, it would be too bad if it ran into the following years regular season.

BDKJMU
August 14th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Over on the CAA zone it was reported JMU's (rather incompetent IMHO) opinion AD has backed off the original statement and said defintely no home playoff games in 09', but there is a possibly JMU could host in 2010.

Tribe4SF
August 15th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I swear it, i have to get to Parson's once in my life to see the mystique of this parking lot/stadium. :p

Well, the stadium has mystique, but there is no parking lot. It's "back yard football"....literally.xnodx

millwoga1
August 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Where in the hell will the playoff selection committee send Wofford then?

Reign of Terrier
August 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Where in the hell will the playoff selection committee send Wofford then?

Montana

Husky Alum
August 16th, 2009, 08:24 AM

Northeastern-Hofstra, Saturday November 14.

It's NU's homecoming, so the crowd will be a bit larger than normal, so your view may be jaded. To enjoy a true Parsons "experiece" you need a game against a team like Towson on a sunny Saturday afternoon when BC is home, the Sox are in the playoffs and people are apple/pumpkin picking.

However, at homecoming, see FCS football at its worst, then head over to Matthews Arena for pre-game cocktails in the Varsity Club, and see NCAA Division I hockey at its finest - a sold out game in Matthews against Maine.

Just say the word and we'll be glad to host you at the Husky Alum Homecoming Tailgate and at the hockey game.

BDKJMU
August 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM
This article was out yesterday:

No Home Playoffs
JMU Won't Host In '09 (At Least) Because Of Renovations
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=39997&CHID=3&sub=

BDKJMU
August 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
What sucks is this.

1.This season there is no bye week after the 1st game because JMU doesn't have their 1st game till Sept 12. Well at least there is the 6 games at home....Nope, only 5 home games..

2. Only 5 games at home. Well, 6 away games isn't too bad with a bye week....nope, no bye week.

3. Well, only 5 home games, no bye week, maybe (if JMU makes the playoffs) could get a home playoff game....nope, no home games.

No bye week, only 5 home games, and no possibility of a home playoff game is a triple whammy. Its one thing to have one of those 3 happen in a season, at worst, 2, but all 3xeekx

BDKJMU
August 16th, 2009, 06:46 PM
My big question is this. If JMU can't host this season and possibly 2010 and makes the playoffs, would the committee take into consideration that JMU couldn't host before making the pairings? Reason I ask is this. Say
-ASU goes 10-1 & is the #1 seed (good possibility).
-JMU goes 10-1 and is ranked #2 (I know, HIGHLY unlikely this season, but for the sake of this hypothetical, just play along).
-SCSU doesn't win the MEAC, (good possibility) meaning JMU would be the closest non So-Con playoff team to ASU.

Since the committee knows JMU can't host, would they:

A.
-Ignore JMU as far as seeding purposes go
-Look at who is the closest non seed OOC to ASU, see that it was JMU, and send JMU to ASU, which would be a #1 vs #2 matchup in the 1st round?

or

B. Go ahead and seed JMU #2, pair the closest OOC non seed with JMU as per standard practice, but simply instead of JMU hosting have JMU go on the road?

In 2010 This type of scenario is more likely to come about as JMU should be more of a contender for a seed than this season. You could also maybe add UD to there for 2010. I know the playoffs will be expanded for 2010. If either UD or JMU were top 4, would the committee not seed them since they can't host and thereby possibly send them to another top 4 team (in this case it would be in the 2nd round, which would be the round of 16)?

If a team can't host for some reason that shouldn't come into play on who gets seeds and how the pairings are made. It should only come into play after the bracket is set as far as where the game is played.

JSU02
August 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM
What sucks is this.

1.This season there is no bye week after the 1st game because JMU doesn't have their 1st game till Sept 12. Well at least there is the 6 games at home....Nope, only 5 home games..

2. Only 5 games at home. Well, 6 away games isn't too bad with a bye week....nope, no bye week.

3. Well, only 5 home games, no bye week, maybe (if JMU makes the playoffs) could get a home playoff game....nope, no home games.

No bye week, only 5 home games, and no possibility of a home playoff game is a triple whammy. Its one thing to have one of those 3 happen in a season, at worst, 2, but all 3xeekx

It could be worse, you could have no chance for the playoffs at all. xoopsx

Ivytalk
August 17th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I have two words for you: Charlottes. Ville.:D

BDKJMU
August 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Our AD made the dumb a** remark of JMU wouldn't seek out hosting at an alternative stadium in VA because it wouldn't matter because JMU would have lost its homefield advantage anyway. What an ignorant statement. At least if it was at a neutral stadium in VA it would keep the other team from having a homefield advantage. Helloxconfusedx And another stadium in VA vs an out of state team JMU would still have a homefield advantage, just not nearly as big as it would be at JMU.

JSU02
August 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Our AD made the dumb a** remark of JMU wouldn't seek out hosting at an alternative stadium in VA because it wouldn't matter because JMU would have lost its homefield advantage anyway. What an ignorant statement. At least if it was at a neutral stadium in VA it would keep the other team from having a homefield advantage. Helloxconfusedx And another stadium in VA vs an out of state team JMU would still have a homefield advantage, just not nearly as big as it would be at JMU.

WOW, that really is a stupid thing to say. Maybe he should think about that one some more...