PDA

View Full Version : Montana games in '06

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I'm heading up to Montana in the fall of '06 to see a game....which one of these do you think would be the best game?

9/9/2006 South Dakota State 1:05 PM MT (gave Montana a good, but boring, game last year, 7-0)

9/16/2006 Central Washington 1:05 PM MT

9/23/2006 Sacramento State * 1:05 PM MT (Big Sky opponent...2-9 last year)

There are games after 9/23 (10/14 against NAU is the next home game, homecoming), but I'm about 99% sure I don't want to head to Montana in October....too damn cold!

I'm really excited about this trip....woohoo!! :hurray: :hyped: :hyped:

grizzpaw
December 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM
if thoughs are the only games you can then sdsu is the best one but try to make the 3rd week in november IS the ONLY game! :beerchug: :eek:

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 08:36 AM
if thoughs are the only games you can then sdsu is the best one but try to make the 3rd week in november IS the ONLY game! :beerchug: :eek:

I know which game that is...and I'd LOVE to go. :nod: But I'm not sure I could fly into Montana that time of year if there's some bad weather...or, to be more accurate, I'm not sure I could fly out of my area (DC) if there is bad weather. That's just not something I'm going to take a risk on. They shut the airports down when it rains (or so it seems). :confused: SO...I'm going to buy my tix as soon as they go on sale in '06, then buy my flight.

Also...what's the cheapest/closest airport to fly into? I don't mind driving a few hundred miles...actually, I was planning on it so I can see what Montana (and Idaho) has to offer.

LacesOut
December 9th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I'm heading up to Montana in the fall of '06 to see a game....which one of these do you think would be the best game?

9/9/2006 South Dakota State 1:05 PM MT (gave Montana a good, but boring, game last year, 7-0)

There are games after 9/23 (10/14 against NAU is the next home game, homecoming), but I'm about 99% sure I don't want to head to Montana in October....too damn cold!

Come up to Newark for a UD game, you tool!

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Come up to Newark for a UD game, you tool!

I already have....that place is a HOLE!!!! I peed on your walls when I left last time..

LOL, just kidding. I enjoy that place. Good fans, good games (usually).

kalm
December 9th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Don't let October weather scare you. It had to be 75 degrees for the EWU game on the 15th this year. But if it is cold, all the better. A little October snow adds to the ambience, and you will be experiencing Big Sky football as it's meant to be played :nod:

RockyMtnGriz
December 9th, 2005, 08:52 AM
what's the cheapest/closest airport to fly into? I don't mind driving a few hundred miles...actually, I was planning on it so I can see what Montana (and Idaho) has to offer.

Check into flights to Spokane. It's about 3 hours from there to Missoula. Should be able to get something a little cheaper in to there. The Drive over is a good one.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Don't let October weather scare you. It had to be 75 degrees for the EWU game on the 15th this year. But if it is cold, all the better. A little October snow adds to the ambience, and you will be experiencing Big Sky football as it's meant to be played :nod:

I understand...but I'm not willing to book a flight in October/November from over 2,000 miles away if there is a chance that either airport could be shut down because of weather, and then I'm ***** out of luck. Once I get there...I have no problem with the weather (except the cold part, but that's why I generally don't romp around naked when it's cold out). It's getting there that is the issue.

grizbeer
December 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Also...what's the cheapest/closest airport to fly into? I don't mind driving a few hundred miles...actually, I was planning on it so I can see what Montana (and Idaho) has to offer.

As far as airports, Missoula is served by Northwest (connect Minneapolis), United (Denver), Delta (Salt Lake City), Alaska (Seattle), and Allegiant (Las Vegas). Occasionally you can get good rates into Missoula.

Spokane is the closest larger airport, 200 miles away. Southwest and all the majors fly into Spokane. Beautiful drive through Northern Idaho to get here.

Salt Lake City and Seattle are both about 500 miles away. Calgary Alberta is 450 miles away, and depending on your route could be one of the most scenic drives you have ever taken.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 09:04 AM
As far as airports, Missoula is served by Northwest (connect Minneapolis), United (Denver), Delta (Salt Lake City), Alaska (Seattle), and Allegiant (Las Vegas). Occasionally you can get good rates into Missoula.

Spokane is the closest larger airport, 200 miles away. Southwest and all the majors fly into Spokane. Beautiful drive through Northern Idaho to get here.

Salt Lake City and Seattle are both about 500 miles away. Calgary Alberta is 450 miles away, and depending on your route could be one of the most scenic drives you have ever taken.
Good info...thanks. I'm definitely looking forward to the drive and the scenery. One of the reasons I'm heading out there.

Tailbone
December 9th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Good info...thanks. I'm definitely looking forward to the drive and the scenery. One of the reasons I'm heading out there.

Be sure to give yourself time to see Glacier Park and Yellowstone Park.
you can drive from GP to YP via the Swan Valley. along the way you can see Flathead Lake,the Seely/Swan chain of lakes and perhaps a plethora of wildlife. If you manage to make Yellowstone, consider this in your planning: Geothermal sights are on the west side of the park, the east side has more/better wildlife viewing.
The Grand Tetons are in Wyoming just outside the south entrance of Yellowstone.

DaGriz
December 9th, 2005, 10:07 AM
That Sac. St. game might actually be your best bet if you don't want to risk the weather. Our offense has started slow the last few years and rumors are swirling about a transfer I-A QB. That will probably mean the first couple of games are going to be low scoring while the O gets on the same page. Not only that, last time Suc St. played in Missoula they were spraying each other with cooking spray to make themselves slick. So if the game is boring, they'll keep you entertained.
Southwest flies into Spokane. Rent a car and drive if you are looking for cheap.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 10:14 AM
You guys are full of info! You rock! :hurray:
I've always wanted to head out to that part of the country. Now that I've got the money to actually enjoy myself, i decided hell, why not do it next year.

Now be honest...is it worthwhile to hang around Missoula for more than a night/day or so? Or should I just head to Missoula for the tailgate/game, stay a night and then be on my way to check out the rest of the state?

griz37
December 9th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Bandl if you come to a game in September then definetly head to Glacier National Park. It is about a 3 hour drive from Missoula but you will be blown away by the beauty, especially in the fall. A lot of the park shuts down though around Sept. 20th & the pass has to be open to really experience the park.

putter
December 9th, 2005, 10:34 AM
bandl,

You can always PM ChickenMan as he came out 2 years ago and is also coming out next year. He and his wife went throught Glacier and stayed in Missoula. I would stay in Missoula and enjoy the pre/post game festivities as it is a blast and the weather is usually not that bad in September/October. Glacier, IMO, is more scenic and remote than Yellowstone but they are both amazing places.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
bandl,

You can always PM ChickenMan as he came out 2 years ago and is also coming out next year. He and his wife went throught Glacier and stayed in Missoula. I would stay in Missoula and enjoy the pre/post game festivities as it is a blast and the weather is usually not that bad in September/October. Glacier, IMO, is more scenic and remote than Yellowstone but they are both amazing places.

What's camping like in Glacier/Yellowstone? Do I need a permit/reservation? Only camp in designated spots or is it 'free country'? Need a gun to fend off the curious wildlife?

ChickenMan
December 9th, 2005, 10:38 AM

We made the trip to Missoula and caught a Griz game in '04 and are planning on getting back again next year. Our best rates relative to airfare were into Spokane... the drive over to Missoula is about 200 miles and very scenic. We had a geat time at the Griz game... great stadium and friendly fans.

PS... If you are interested in such things... I would highly recommend getting up to Glacier National Park... about 2 1/2 hrs north of Missoula and well worth the drive... if you have the time.

catbob
December 9th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Glacier is my favorite part of Montana, scenery wise.

Also in West(East?) Glacier, there is a human-sized maze that is somewhat amusing to go through. :)

putter
December 9th, 2005, 11:00 AM
There are places to camp inside and just outside of the park. You do need a permit to enter the park but you can find more info by calling or on the web. As far as a gun, you never know! :eyebrow: There were two hikers attacked by a Grizzly this year so you have to be careful but if you make a lot of noice you won't surprise them and they usually go away.

griz37
December 9th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Bandl,
Glacier has designated camp sites.
Go to http://www.nps.gov/glac/ (http://) for more info. Glacier is my favorite place in the world, if you are the outdoorsy type it is truly amazing.

DaGriz
December 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM
There are places to camp inside and just outside of the park. You do need a permit to enter the park but you can find more info by calling or on the web. As far as a gun, you never know! :eyebrow: There were two hikers attacked by a Grizzly this year so you have to be careful but if you make a lot of noice you won't surprise them and they usually go away.

Actually, guns aren't allowed in the park.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I've always wanted to head out to that part of the country. Now that I've got the money to actually enjoy myself, i decided hell, why not do it next year.

Now be honest...is it worthwhile to hang around Missoula for more than a night/day or so? Or should I just head to Missoula for the tailgate/game, stay a night and then be on my way to check out the rest of the state?

Bump...what's up in Missoula?

kalm
December 9th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Glacier is phenominal, but anytime after the 2nd week in September and your risking the Going To The Sun Road to be closed, which is something you don't want to miss.

Another thought, if you have a few days, is to fly into Portland. The trip from Portland to Missoula takes you through the unbelievably scenic Columbia River Gorge and along the way represents just about every type of terrain you will find out west - from coastal type rainforest and cascades to alpine ( 11,000 ft Mt Hood), transitional Ponderosa Pine forests to desert. The only boring part for some is the 3 hours from the Tri Cities to Spokane - which is mostly flat wheat country. But from Spokane to Missoula you travel over two mountain passes and along the Clark Fork river. All told, about 9 hours, you could do it one day, or stay in Spokane at the historic Davenport Hotel before moving on to Missoula.

If you had the time you could also check out the Oregon Coast - 2 hours from Portland.

griz37
December 9th, 2005, 12:45 PM
The Oregon Coast is very worth checking out. Cannon Beach is almost a straight shot from Portland & is the best coastal town in the west. Also I agree w/Kalm the Davenport is one of the nicest hotels you can ever stay at, my girlfriends love it. I love gushing about Montana & how great it is in case you couldn't tell.

SochorField
December 9th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Don't bother going to see Slac St. up there....those guys seriously suck, trust me.

I would love to see a game at Montana, that is what every I-AA school should be like.

grizbeer
December 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Bump...what's up in Missoula?Really depends on what you are into. Obviously coming from Washington DC you are not going to visit any museums, or look for culture, etc. There are a few things in town that are pretty cool - The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Smoke Jumpers Center Microbreweries, etc - but most people come to Montana for nature, and Missoula makes a nice base station for day trips.

This thread on E-Griz offers some suggestions
[URL=http:www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/viewtopic.php?t=4235[/URL]

Now if you are into drinking with hot college chicks, no real reason to leave Missoula. Ever.

griz37
December 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM
If you are into hot chicks be sure to check out Amvets! :nod:

tanagriz
December 9th, 2005, 02:02 PM
That's so not nice to tell him to check out AmVets!! The only reason we ever went there was to dance and not get hit on!!! The gay guys are quite entertaining too. :)

mlbowl
December 9th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Really depends on what you are into. Obviously coming from Washington DC you are not going to visit any museums, or look for culture, etc.

What about CM Russell museums?

Ronbo
December 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I'd come for the SDSU game. It's opening day and that is always special. Also should be a better game this year as our Offense gets tons of starters back and we are on the verge of signing a couple big I-A Offensive talents. SDSU was one of the best 6-5 teams in the country so they are definately the best of the three.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 02:55 PM
The Oregon Coast is very worth checking out. Cannon Beach is almost a straight shot from Portland & is the best coastal town in the west. Also I agree w/Kalm the Davenport is one of the nicest hotels you can ever stay at, my girlfriends love it. I love gushing about Montana & how great it is in case you couldn't tell.
Sorry, that part of the country is not in the cards...I'm strictly sticking with Montana and any immediate outlying cities/parks. Maybe on another trip...maybe to see EWU play???

catbob
December 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Just make sure you have something exciting planned for just after the game, because watching the Griz offense for nearly 4 hours is going to put you to sleep. :beerchug:

Bronco
December 9th, 2005, 03:14 PM
It must really suck that when fans in 1-AA towns think Montana football it's always the Griz.

http://bestsmileys.com/signs7/17.gif

putter
December 9th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Sorry, that part of the country is not in the cards...I'm strictly sticking with Montana and any immediate outlying cities/parks. Maybe on another trip...maybe to see EWU play???

Well, immediate outlying takes a new meaning out here from the east coast as there is A LOT of space out here. Yellowstone is about 3+ hours from Missoula and Glacier is about 2, although Glacier is much closer. Make sure you schedule compensates for travel time.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Well, immediate outlying takes a new meaning out here from the east coast as there is A LOT of space out here. Yellowstone is aobut 3+ hours from Missoula and so is Glacier, although Glacier is much closer. Make sure you schedule compensates for travel time.
I meant immediately outside Montana as a whole, not just Missoula. Sorry for being vague (I've done that a bit today).

slostang
December 9th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Cal Poly is playing in Missoula again next year. I am not sure of the date, but it would be a great game to catch.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Cal Poly is playing in Missoula again next year. I am not sure of the date, but it would be a great game to catch.

November 4th...a little too late in the season to risk flying in from the east coast.

JALMOND
December 10th, 2005, 06:05 PM

bandl---

Do yourself a favor (if you've never been to Missoula) and spend a week if you can. Not only is the game atmosphere great, but it will be the best week you spent anywhere.

bandl
January 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
bandl---

Do yourself a favor (if you've never been to Missoula) and spend a week if you can. Not only is the game atmosphere great, but it will be the best week you spent anywhere.

Anyone know roughly when the University of Montana football tix go on sale to the general public? I'm looking to get tix for their home opener on 9/9. Gracias.

VictorG
January 10th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Glacier Park is a MUST!!!! And when you go, do yourself a HUGE favor, take the "Red Bus" tour over the divide. The "Going to the Sun" road is the main attraction and you really can't see much if your driving. Plus it will scare the cr*p out of you if you're a flat lander. It is spectacular on those busses and the drivers are full of information (stories as well). The fee for the tour is well worth it. The longest tour is about 6 hours. You can see most of Glacier that is accessible via a car in about 2 days including the 6 hour bus tour.

If you have time, Yellowstone is very nice as well. I enjoy Yellowstone the most in June when the big game is still down in the valleys. I'm not sure how much wild life you will see that time of the year. Yellowstone is huge and a person could easily spend a week there and still not see all the sites accessible by vehicle.

From Glacier either the Swan Valley route, or the drive along Flat Head Lake is very nice. If you take the Flat Head route, you can flip off PolsonGriz as you drive through Polson!

After that I would recommend coming down HWY 93 south of Missoula through the Bitterroot Valley. Then head through Wisdom (Don't remember the HWY number off the top of my head) and stop at "Bannock" (Nice restored ghost town), then Virginia City which is another simi ghost town but has been build up into a tourist site. It's still interesting though.

Anyway, there is more to the itinerary if your interested PM me and I'll fill in the rest including hwy numbers you can follow on the map!

Green Cookie Monster
January 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Don't bother going to see Slac St. up there....those guys seriously suck, trust me.

Why should we trust you? All you do is smear other people. Why not stand on your own big man aggie?

mineral griz
January 10th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Make sure to join the E-Griz board so we all know when your coming and can invited you to tail gate.................... :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

bandl
January 10th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Make sure to join the E-Griz board so we all know when your coming and can invited you to tail gate.................... :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Good suggestion, I surely will! I'll use the same username and avatar (if egriz allows them)....or some other pic of a hot babe as my avatar.

:hyped: :hyped:

SochorField
January 10th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Why should we trust you? All you do is smear other people. Why not stand on your own big man aggie?

Well, I've seen Sac State play for starters. All I do? This is the only time I've said something like this...and you are our rival, get over it.

grizband
January 10th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Anyone know roughly when the University of Montana football tix go on sale to the general public? I'm looking to get tix for their home opener on 9/9. Gracias.
I think it was August 1 this year, although I could be a little off on the date.

Grizo406
January 12th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Good suggestion, I surely will! I'll use the same username and avatar (if egriz allows them)....or some other pic of a hot babe as my avatar.

:hyped: :hyped:

You should have zero problems with the username or avatar on eGriz, bandl.

Look forward to seeing you over there!

bandl
January 12th, 2006, 12:40 PM
You should have zero problems with the username or avatar on eGriz, bandl.

Look forward to seeing you over there!
Just logged onto egriz for the first time....take it easy on me over there!!! :beerchug:

And your emoticons are SOOOOO much cooler than AGS's....what's up with that??? :confused:

Grizo406
January 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Just logged onto egriz for the first time....take it easy on me over there!!! :beerchug:

And your emoticons are SOOOOO much cooler than AGS's....what's up with that??? :confused:

As I said on eGriz, glad you're there.

It does get more than a little frustrating over there at times because some "di*khead(s) posse, or group" with some type of axe to grind shows up, and tries to disrupt things.

Quick identifiers to these types are:

(1) Constant, and I mean constant bashing of Bobby Hauck, calling for his immediate firing with rhetoric saying the Griz, with him as coach, can only hope to be no better than 1 & done in a very good year.

(2) One word/line responses to posts that add absolutely nothing to the conversation. I noticed one from a poster in the thread you started.

The list could go on, but I don't wanna' ruin the surprise for ya'. If you spend any degree of time over there, you'll learn very quickly who has something to say, and who's just pulling stuff out of their a$$es. Kinda' like here.

As far as the emoticons over there, the site is owned and ran by a great guy named Chris that started it as a school project a few years back. He used his creativity, and listens to suggestions. One of the benefits of that is the pretty sweet collection of said emoticons.

bandl
January 13th, 2006, 07:22 AM
As I said on eGriz, glad you're there.

It does get more than a little frustrating over there at times because some "di*khead(s) posse, or group" with some type of axe to grind shows up, and tries to disrupt things.

Quick identifiers to these types are:

(1) Constant, and I mean constant bashing of Bobby Hauck, calling for his immediate firing with rhetoric saying the Griz, with him as coach, can only hope to be no better than 1 & done in a very good year.

(2) One word/line responses to posts that add absolutely nothing to the conversation. I noticed one from a poster in the thread you started.

The list could go on, but I don't wanna' ruin the surprise for ya'. If you spend any degree of time over there, you'll learn very quickly who has something to say, and who's just pulling stuff out of their a$$es. Kinda' like here.

As far as the emoticons over there, the site is owned and ran by a great guy named Chris that started it as a school project a few years back. He used his creativity, and listens to suggestions. One of the benefits of that is the pretty sweet collection of said emoticons.

Thanks for the welcome over there! So far, so good. I did notice what you wrote...
1) The first thread I saw was "Fire Hauck, Today!" ...What's up with that?? Even one of my 'welcome' responses was "We hate Hauck and he hates us" or something like that. I'll just be sure to steer clear of any commentary on that subject!! :confused: :nod:

2) Yep, noticed that also. A bit odd....unless there are cash prizes for those with the most post counts!!! xidiotx

So, so, so looking forward to that trip. I originally was planning on doing just a 3 or 4 day trip...fly in somewhere a few hundred miles from Missoula, take my time heading to Missoula, watch the game, take my time getting out of there. But after all the tips and ideas I've received from everyone, it's looking like I should take at LEAST a full week out there, and I know that still won't be enough time!! :rotateh:

The griz fans have been great so far. Can't wait to meet some of 'em in late '06. :nod: xprost2x

DuckDuckGriz
January 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Don't forget to head 45 minutes south of Missoula through the beautiful Bitterroot Valley into Hamilton. Head to Nap's on 3rd Street and ask for the 12 oz Nap's Deal. You'll thank me later. Oh yeah bring Tums. :beerchug:

Grizo406
January 13th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome over there! So far, so good. I did notice what you wrote...
1) The first thread I saw was "Fire Hauck, Today!" ...What's up with that?? Even one of my 'welcome' responses was "We hate Hauck and he hates us" or something like that. I'll just be sure to steer clear of any commentary on that subject!! :confused: :nod:

2) Yep, noticed that also. A bit odd....unless there are cash prizes for those with the most post counts!!! xidiotx

So, so, so looking forward to that trip. I originally was planning on doing just a 3 or 4 day trip...fly in somewhere a few hundred miles from Missoula, take my time heading to Missoula, watch the game, take my time getting out of there. But after all the tips and ideas I've received from everyone, it's looking like I should take at LEAST a full week out there, and I know that still won't be enough time!! :rotateh:

The griz fans have been great so far. Can't wait to meet some of 'em in late '06. :nod: xprost2x

In reference to my "Obvious Identifiers" #(2)...I think this is what we're dealin' with here...
http://demoni.ca/drupal/newspics/IHS.jpg
We be talkin' Griz football, dawg!

bandl
April 12th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Back to this topic...I'm still heading up to Montana in September!!! :hurray: :hurray: I'm looking for 2 tix for the September 9th home game in Missoula...

So who wants to sell two tix to me???

OR...will I be able to buy tix straight through the school? :confused:

Ronbo
April 12th, 2006, 09:27 AM
You want to buy the tickets through the ticket office in August. You call them and decide if you want them sent to you (a $2 surcharge I believe) or have them put them in will call (pick them up game day).

Here's the web page.
http://www.griztix.com/

Here's the toll free number.
1-888-666-8262

Get your tickets early, there's big excitement for this season and tickets will sell out fast.

You'll like coming to Opening Day, everyone is extra excited for the first home game.

bandl
April 12th, 2006, 09:58 AM
You want to buy the tickets through the ticket office in August. You call them and decide if you want them sent to you (a $2 surcharge I believe) or have them put them in will call (pick them up game day).

Here's the web page.
http://www.griztix.com/

Here's the toll free number.
1-888-666-8262

Get your tickets early, there's big excitement for this season and tickets will sell out fast.

You'll like coming to Opening Day, everyone is extra excited for the first home game.
Thanks for this info Ronbo. Yep, I'm coming for opening day. If you remember...can you PM me when you find out the exact dates the tix go on sale??

This might be a silly question...but will there be anywhere I can watch (assuming it's on TV) the JMU/App State game that day in Missoula?? Perhaps a local bar has the college game package?? I know the chances are slim...but I gotta try. If not...I'll just have to settle for the updates through my cellphone. :(

Ronbo
April 12th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for this info Ronbo. Yep, I'm coming for opening day. If you remember...can you PM me when you find out the exact dates the tix go on sale??

This might be a silly question...but will there be anywhere I can watch (assuming it's on TV) the JMU/App State game that day in Missoula?? Perhaps a local bar has the college game package?? I know the chances are slim...but I gotta try. If not...I'll just have to settle for the updates through my cellphone. :(

Right across the river bridge from the stadium is a Sports Bar called the Press Box. They have 25 TV's, 27" to 70" and 3-4 wide screens. They have all the sports packages. I've seen I-AA games on there all the time and they take requests.

VictorG
April 12th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Good thing you're coming for the 9/9 game because 9/16 is now an "open" date. They needed it to restock the beer after the 1st 2 weekends of football!:)

Rabbit3467
April 12th, 2006, 11:11 AM

The game was actually quite exciting last year. It came down to the wire with SDSU scoring a TD that was called back (good call by refs, although a bit late). The best part for me was (not bashing griz fans) was hearing the crowd boo their team. This is because I didnt think (but hoped) the game would be as close as it was. I hope the game is good this year also. Hopefully you can meet some jackrabbit fans also. Check out sdsufans.com if you interested in meeting some.

CrunchGriz
April 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM
The game was actually quite exciting last year. It came down to the wire with SDSU scoring a TD that was called back (good call by refs, although a bit late). The best part for me was (not bashing griz fans) was hearing the crowd boo their team. This is because I didnt think (but hoped) the game would be as close as it was. I hope the game is good this year also. Hopefully you can meet some jackrabbit fans also. Check out sdsufans.com if you interested in meeting some.

Montana fans spent an inordinate amount of last season booing not the team, per se, but the offensive coordinator, who is not highly thought of by many Griz fans. I'm sure it's hard to tell that if you're a player, though.

The fact is that from 1986-1999 Montana fans had grown accustomed to one of the highest-powered passing offenses in I-AA, but that has changed in the past six years with the last two head coaches, who both emphasize more balanced offenses. Combine that with the fact that in 2005 Montana had its worst pass offense since 1978, and you begin to understand the disgruntlement of many of the Griz faithful.

Those of us who follow Griz football closely don't expect to see last year's level of passing ineffectiveness this year--which is why most of us are very excited about the coming year.

Unlike last year, defenses won't be able to key on the rushing game this year, which will make the whole offense much harder to stop. If defenses have to defend against the pass and Lex gets just a little more room to run, his 1300 yards rushing last year will more likely become 1500-1700 this year. Add in another 1000 or so extra passing yards, and the Griz D that bailed UM out all last year will also be even better, because they won't be spending so much time on the field.

Ah, optimism...Spring seems to bring it out in all of us....

bandl
April 12th, 2006, 01:21 PM

That's generally why I picked to attend this game...that and the fact that I don't want to head to Montana too late in the year (it's already been discussed in this thread). I'm just hoping for a good game in a great atmosphere. Hopefully Montana won't get whooped up in the game prior to this one and end up limping through their home-opener.

I love that pic, btw...looks like a very intimate place! :)

DaGriz
April 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Hopefully Montana won't get whooped up in the game prior to this one and end up limping through their home-opener

I don't really care if we get whooped, I just hope their aren't a lot of key injuries. That could make for a long season. I think you probably picked a perfect weekend to go. We'll most likely lose to Iowa and then come out with something to prove at the home opener and take it out on the Jackrabbits.

Ronbo
April 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM

No need to PM as there might be someone else that might want to get tickets too. I know Chickenman is coming back out for an early Sept. game too.

I just got off the phone with the ticket office. They are planning to start ticket sales the first week of August. The guy I spoke to says this could change so call again in the last week of July. At that time they will have an exact day that tickets will be available.