PDA

View Full Version : Future of Gridiron Classic, Pioneer in the Postseason?

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Starting in 2010, the NEC champion will be set to participate in the Division I playoffs (let's leave the smack out, gents!). With that happening, the NEC will no longer have their top team to send to a Gridiron Classic event against the Pioneer champion.

What happens to the Gridiron Classic? Could we see the second-place team from the NEC play the Pioneer champ? Or is this it for the Gridiron Classic.

And what options does the Pioneer have for playing in the postseason since it seems, like the NEC until 2010 - there is not much of a realistic chance that any of their teams are going the way of the playoffs.

hebmskebm
August 13th, 2009, 02:22 PM
My guess is that over the next few years the Pioneer expands to 11-12 teams, splits into divisions again and just plays a conference champ. game at the end of the season like they used to and that the Gridiron Classic is finished.

It's possible that the game continues on with the 2nd place NEC team for a year or two but I just can't see it lasting much longer with playoffs on the horizon and the NEC becoming more of a schollie league.

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
What do you feel will be the makeup of the Pioneer league as it expands to 11-12 teams? Which of the rumored programs - New Orleans, Winthrop, Detroit Mercy, etc - do you feel is more likely of making the jump to having Division I football and in the Pioneer?

gophoenix
August 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM
What do you feel will be the makeup of the Pioneer league as it expands to 11-12 teams? Which of the rumored programs - New Orleans, Winthrop, Detroit Mercy, etc - do you feel is more likely of making the jump to having Division I football and in the Pioneer?

If you ask me:
New Orleans
High Point - Scouting a stadium location....

Winthrop - If they start, it will go all the way....

Model Citizen
August 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM
It is my understanding that this is the last year for the Gridiron Classic.

Detroit Mercy is the only serious new member candidate right now. I think the economy has things on hold, though.

OhioHen
August 14th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Wright State has started a Club football program. If the school decides to move to intercollegiate competition, the Pioneer would be an excellent fit. A local rivalry could develop with Dayton (with some early domination by the Flyers likely) and WSU is in the Horizon League with Butler and Valpo for all other sports.

TexasTerror
August 14th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Club football is getting restored it seems and more organized, like it was back in the 1970s. They are doing a national poll, All-American team and a few other things that lend a bit more credibility to it.