PDA

View Full Version : Which SLC Team Can Top TXST for AQ?

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I almost put which team can top Central Arkansas at the summit of the standings - but since we're all more concerned at the national level with automatic qualifiers - which team do you think has the best shot in the Southland at replacing the defending SLC champions as the AQ?

And yes, we're going to pretend that the Bobcats are not repeating and you are going to have to do your best at providing a name of a squad outside of San Marcos that can make it into the playoffs and why! xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM
If not given the chance to select UCA or TXST...

I would have to go with McNeese State. This is a program that does not typically drop off the map in any year and they have a proven head coach.

Throw in veteran experience at the quarterback position (Derrick Fourroux) and a running back who is the reigning SLC Offensive Player of the Year in Todd Pendland and that alone gives you a formidable team. Sure, we've heard they have some concerns along the offensive line and of course, Steven Whitehead finally graduated - but is there any other team that returns the playmakers on offense that McNeese does outside of SFA (Moses/Brooks)...?

Defensively...this team does not have the "star power" of SLU, UCA or SFA by any stretch - but they seem to have a workman-like mentality. Terrance Freeman, Deron Minor come to mine. Throw in Darrell Jenkins. We'll see, but I'd have to go with the Pokes...

Of course, that would mean they would have to get a 'W' against TXST. Good luck with that!

89Hen
August 10th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I would have to go with McNeese State. This is a program that does not typically drop off the map in any year and they have a proven head coach.

Throw in veteran experience at the quarterback position (Derrick Fourroux) and a running back who is the reigning SLC Offensive Player of the Year in Todd Pendland and that alone gives you a formidable team.
xnodx

lionsrking2
August 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM

I see McNeese in a rebuilding mode...the backbone of their team the last couple of years was their offensive line and speed at WR and they just about have to replace it all...I'm sure they feel like they may some younger guys ready to step in but it takes time for O-lines to develop maturity and continuity, and you don't simply replace a Lawrence and a Whitehead...also lost a lot of guys on defense...I don't think they'll "drop off the map" like they did in '04 or even '05, but I think we'll see a general drop off from the last three years.

JohnStOnge
August 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM

They did kind of drop off the map at least a couple of time. They went from 13-1 in 1995 to 3-8 in 1996. They went from 10-2 in 2003 to 4-7 in 2004. I do not favor them to get the AQ. But I do look at them as being a sleeper in that, as long as they stay reasonably healthy (which hasn't happened over the past two seasons), they will have a very strong contigent of playmakers on offense. I'm also hoping that some coaching changes will mean they're a little bit better on defense.

txstatebobcat
August 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I voted SLU, however this has got to be one of the most wide open SLC races in memory.

BEAR
August 10th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm going with McNeese. After watching the game at Estes last year, it seemed like when the Cowboys wanted to turn it up, they did successfully. That's scary to me. If they come out with confidence I think they will be the two loss team that gets the AQ.

Oh...and by the way......TRANSITION SUCKS! xmadx

blackfordpu
August 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Gotta go with my Kats.

Forever optimistic. xnodx

TexasTerror
August 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Gotta go with my Kats.

Forever optimistic. xnodx

I think yesterday's scrimmage increased the optimism about our offense, defense and special teams. I'm still saying 6-5 or 7-4 at this point. Until we see the guys play WIU - we really will not have a clear assessment of what this team can be.

McNeeseState311
August 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I see McNeese in a rebuilding mode...the backbone of their team the last couple of years was their offensive line and speed at WR and they just about have to replace it all...I'm sure they feel like they may some younger guys ready to step in but it takes time for O-lines to develop maturity and continuity, and you don't simply replace a Lawrence and a Whitehead...also lost a lot of guys on defense...I don't think they'll "drop off the map" like they did in '04 or even '05, but I think we'll see a general drop off from the last three years.

Although we loss the veteran O-line and Lawrence and Whitehead we should still have a pretty strong offense. Bernardo Henry will be a name to remeber this year along with Friddle at WR. We are strong at TE and as for the line I think we are fine. Once they get some experience we should have a consitent offense.

As always my question is defense. The coaches seem to be excited about this group but still has to be proven to me.

Mainly I like where the conference is heading, I think this will be the most competitive year in memory.

RabidRabbit
August 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I think yesterday's scrimmage increased the optimism about our offense, defense and special teams. I'm still saying 6-5 or 7-4 at this point. Until we see the guys play WIU - we really will not have a clear assessment of what this team can be.

WIU may not be the best team to measure by this year. Lost their two stars, and their QB, in for 3rd straight season, isn't super. A better measure will be NDSU. Their QB situation is challenging, but otherwise, they'll be a competitive team this season. See them as top 30 material.

TexasTerror
August 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
WIU may not be the best team to measure by this year. Lost their two stars, and their QB, in for 3rd straight season, isn't super. A better measure will be NDSU. Their QB situation is challenging, but otherwise, they'll be a competitive team this season. See them as top 30 material.

WIU would be an average SLC team in my estimations, if not a slightly better than average one. SHSU has struggled against teams from the Gateway/Missouri Valley during regular season play - it's a home contest and there's plenty of new wrinkles. It will be a good test. Maybe not seem like much of a measurement, but it is...

McTailGator
August 14th, 2009, 02:26 PM

O-Line really is a concern for me, but I think we will make up for it with a lot of quick slants, and by getting the ball outside very quickly.

This O-line will be inexperienced, but HUGE, and still pretty quick. I worry about the 4th quarter due to depth there however.

I think you will find that we replaced Whitehead VERY nicely, as well as Q. Lawrence, with a couple of transfers as well as a kid that was coming around last year in QL's absence.

NO, I'm not worried ONE bit about this offense, as I believe it will score more points than in the recent past, because I think we will spread things out MUCH more.

I think we will hold our own on the D-Line, and I think this will be the best group of DB's at McNeese in 12 years (couple of un-advertised transfers that we have kept underwraps).

My concern is with the LB's, not due to talent, but due to another change in coaching at that position again this year. We need to stop that.

I think the D will be improved, but will it be enough? We will just have to wait and see. The high powered offense is OK, but give me a monster sufficating defense ANYDAY.

GeauxColonels
August 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I went with McNeese. Really, every team has issues one way or another. With Nicholls State, they don't have a QB on the roster that's taken a snap in college.

MSU_77
August 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
McNeese's offense should have no problem putting up points. On defense, there is a load of talent on paper, especially in the secondary, but we'll have to see whether that translates into effective defense on the field. A lot of new faces on defense.

NSUDemon98
August 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I almost put which team can top Central Arkansas at the summit of the standings - but since we're all more concerned at the national level with automatic qualifiers - which team do you think has the best shot in the Southland at replacing the defending SLC champions as the AQ?

And yes, we're going to pretend that the Bobcats are not repeating and you are going to have to do your best at providing a name of a squad outside of San Marcos that can make it into the playoffs and why! xthumbsupx

This poll should read: Who has the most fans present on AGS...lol.

McNeese75
August 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM

xnodx Well, that pretty much applies to all polls put on this board. Damn East Coast Bias will kick your butt every time, xlolx

NSUDemon98
August 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
xnodx Well, that pretty much applies to all polls put on this board. Damn East Coast Bias will kick your butt every time, xlolx

So true...about the polls that is. I aint touching the other part of your post with a 10 ft. POLE.

TexasTerror
August 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM

The voters for McNeese are not all Pokes...

89Hen, Bearable, crossfire07, FCS_pwns_FBS, FormerPokeCenter, GeauxColonels, griz&beer, GSUhooligan, Jimbo, JohnStOnge, McNeese72, McNeese75, McNeeseState311, McTailGator, MSU_77, mvemjsunpx, PantherRob82, pokefan02, Silenoz, supercat11, UCABEAR, wideright82

FormerPokeCenter
August 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Northwestern's on the EAST coast of the Sabine River...and the East Coast of Sibley Lake...surely that counts for some of their votes, right? ;)

NSUDemon98
August 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
The voters for McNeese are not all Pokes...

89Hen, Bearable, crossfire07, FCS_pwns_FBS, FormerPokeCenter, GeauxColonels, griz&beer, GSUhooligan, Jimbo, JohnStOnge, McNeese72, McNeese75, McNeeseState311, McTailGator, MSU_77, mvemjsunpx, PantherRob82, pokefan02, Silenoz, supercat11, UCABEAR, wideright82

Since you're in the mood to show who all has voted for who and totally given away any anonymity the poll had...who did you vote for?

I'm a homer...but you probably already knew that. ;)

FCS Go!
August 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
NSU Demon 98,

EVERYONE can see who voted for who by checking the results of the poll and clicking on the number of votes.

TexasTerror
August 18th, 2009, 07:03 AM
NSU Demon 98,

EVERYONE can see who voted for who by checking the results of the poll and clicking on the number of votes.

Exactly - "Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected." xreadx

NSUDemon98
August 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM
NSU Demon 98,

How?