PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Blogger on the NDSU game

Umass74
August 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Iowa State blogger previews the Cyclone's season and predicts an easy victory over NDSU (http://www.clonechronicles.com/2009/8/9/982930/2009-predictions-iowa-state-first).

NDSUDude
August 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM
It does't look like he put a lot of thought into that.

"Oh look, an FCS team. I think we might stand a chance against them. WIN"

darell1976
August 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM
As a Cornhusker fan i have no love for Iowa State, but their reason for an easy win is because NDSU lost to SDSU who got "waxed" by ISU. Thats it for their reason? I think this game will be close it could go either way, it will be far from a easy win. Maybe NDSU needs to show them what an easy win looks like and shut them up.

FargoBison
August 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Ball State, CMU, Minnesota the first time(they wised up the second time though), and Wyoming all thought they would pound us, it hasn't happened yet.

JayJ79
August 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I wonder if mplscyclone is related to mplsbison

JohnStOnge
August 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I posted the following comment:

"Have you looked at how North Dakota State has done against I-A/FBS opponents since moving from Division II to I-AA/FCS? In 2008 they lost 13-16 to Wyoming. In 2007 they beat MAC champ Central Michigan 44-14 and also beat Minnesota 27-21. In 2006 they beat Ball State 29-24 and lost to Minnesota 9-10. In other words they have a winning record against I-A/FBS schools and have been competetive every time. It’s a small college program but it’s a small college program that’s had only one losing season in the past 33 years. They know how to win and they know that they really should’ve beaten Minnesota both times as they dominated both games with the Gophers statistically. If they were playing Oklahoma it’d be different but when they go to Iowa State they’re going to go there to win; not just to collect a check. I think Iowa State’s history pretty much suggests that the Cyclones can’t afford to overlook good I-AA/FCS teams."

Uncle Buck
August 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM

"Have you looked at how North Dakota State has done against I-A/FBS opponents since moving from Division II to I-AA/FCS? In 2008 they lost 13-16 to Wyoming. In 2007 they beat MAC champ Central Michigan 44-14 and also beat Minnesota 27-21. In 2006 they beat Ball State 29-24 and lost to Minnesota 9-10. In other words they have a winning record against I-A/FBS schools and have been competetive every time. It’s a small college program but it’s a small college program that’s had only one losing season in the past 33 years. They know how to win and they know that they really should’ve beaten Minnesota both times as they dominated both games with the Gophers statistically. If they were playing Oklahoma it’d be different but when they go to Iowa State they’re going to go there to win; not just to collect a check. I think Iowa State’s history pretty much suggests that the Cyclones can’t afford to overlook good I-AA/FCS teams."

Excellent post. This is a team that has played 1A before and Iowa State as you point out is NOT Oklahoma. I expect the Bison to be very competitive and a win will certainly not come as a surprise.

Twentysix
August 10th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I honestly havent been a college football fanatic for that long, i started just 3 years ago, Though everyone i talk to says Iowa state is terrible. Are they historically terrible, or just as of recent?

If they are this terrible constently how are they still in the big 12? Is money the only factor?

UNIFanSince1983
August 10th, 2009, 07:56 AM
They are pretty much historically terrible. They have had runs in the past where they went to bowl games and actually won a couple. They have been in the Big 12/Big 8 forever so it is history, and it is hard for conferences to kick teams out especially ones that are good in other sports.

It may not be a walk by the Cyclones and I have no idea who they have coming back, but historically it is tough to go to Jack Trice and win for FCS teams. I believe UNI has actually only beat the Cyclones 3 or 4 times. I expect NDSU can keep it close, but I see the Cyclones winning this one.

bkrownd
August 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I honestly havent been a college football fanatic for that long, i started just 3 years ago, Though everyone i talk to says Iowa state is terrible. Are they historically terrible, or just as of recent?

ISU was consistently horrible from the 80's until the late 1990's. Then they rose to the lofty status of inconsistent and inept. Now they're back to consistently terrible. Go light on the 'clones - their fans have to be among the most frustrated in all history.

They've been in the Big 8 and Big 12 forever. They are often good in other sports, and particularly in wrestling.

Silenoz
August 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM

I love the first response someone left to your comment. Bashing a close loss to a Wyoming team with only 4 wins, when ISU won 2 last year xlolx

These comments remind of the stuff we heard from San Diego State fans who thought they deserved someone better than Hauck as a head coach. People who are oblivious to their own program's lack of quality

PantherRob82
August 10th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I think Iowa State will be down again, and they need to keep in mind that they just lost to a FCS team 2 years ago, right after we almost beat them the year before.

The bigger issue to me is that NDSU is unknown at QB, and isn't showing signs of 2008 being a fluke. I'm not a believer in NDSU at this point.

Thunderstruck84
August 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I think Iowa State will be down again, and they need to keep in mind that they just lost to a FCS team 2 years ago, right after we almost beat them the year before.

The bigger issue to me is that NDSU is unknown at QB, and isn't showing signs of 2008 being a fluke. I'm not a believer in NDSU at this point.
2008 wasn't a fluke for the Bison, it was a reminder of how 10-1 turns into 6-5 pretty quick when you take away a couple clutch players who consistently make clutch 4th quarters plays. Hopefully this year will show how quickly it can go the opposite way.

unigriff
August 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I disagree mightily too that. NDSU fans were very cocky coming into the Valley...none of us stood a chance so the Bison said. Then your wake up call. The Bison showed signs of being a contender by beating SIU at the 2nd Dome, but alas, that was all.
It might be awhile before the Bison see a 10 in their win column again.

Gil Dobie
August 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I disagree mightily too that. NDSU fans were very cocky coming into the Valley...none of us stood a chance so the Bison said. Then your wake up call. The Bison showed signs of being a contender by beating SIU at the 2nd Dome, but alas, that was all.

You need a good team to win 10 games not good fans. xrulesx

onbison09
August 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
What that guy said is what every single fan base has said before we played an FBS team. I'm not saying we'll win but, we will show up and give them a good game.

Gil Dobie
August 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
What that guy said is what every single fan base has said before we played an FBS team. I'm not saying we'll win but, we will show up and give them a good game.

I'm not as confident of this years team as I was in 2006 (Ball St and Minnesota) & 2007(Central Michigan and Minnesota)

FargoBison
August 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM

We'll see....We'll see.

PantherRob82
August 10th, 2009, 11:36 PM
2008 wasn't a fluke for the Bison, it was a reminder of how 10-1 turns into 6-5 pretty quick when you take away a couple clutch players who consistently make clutch 4th quarters plays. Hopefully this year will show how quickly it can go the opposite way.

I'm just saying that at the moment, these appear to be down years in the program, not a fluke losing season. I was acknowledging that last year sucked in part because of losing players. Mertens is a terrible QB IMO.

FargoBison
August 11th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm just saying that at the moment, these appear to be down years in the program, not a fluke losing season. I was acknowledging that last year sucked in part because of losing players. Mertens is a terrible QB IMO.

Mertens isn't so bad, part of the problem was our OC who has moved on to put it nicely. I actually remember Bohl going up to him during one of our last games and yelling something like "What are you doing!" at him. I don't think I have ever noticed Bohl going over and yelling at a coordinator prior to that during a game.

So lets just say NDSU has undergone some major changes in offensive and defensive philosophy in the offseason. Some changes are geared to adapt better to the MVFC and some will feature Mertens strengths(running and throwing on the run) instead of what he isn't great at, which is being a pure pocket passer.

I don't think NDSU will go 10-1 this year but I don't think 8-3 is out of the question.

PantherRob82
August 11th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I'm fine with that. I was on the field for our game with NDSU and it seemed like Mertens lacked in ability on the field, but maybe it was just the OC. I'd rather have NDSU towards the top of the standings than YSU. ;)

FargoBison
August 11th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I'm fine with that. I was on the field for our game with NDSU and it seemed like Mertens lacked in ability on the field, but maybe it was just the OC. I'd rather have NDSU towards the top of the standings than YSU. ;)

I'm sure it looked that way, but you guys did have the best defense we saw last year. Regardless of what we were doing it would have been a tough game to win. I just wish our OC would have tried the SDSU gameplan earlier in the year, he anchored Nick in the pocket for the first 10 games of the season and then cuts him loose against SDSU and lets him run around. He was a different QB to say the least.

Thunderstruck84
August 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Mertens isn't so bad, part of the problem was our OC who has moved on to put it nicely. I actually remember Bohl going up to him during one of our last games and yelling something like "What are you doing!" at him. I don't think I have ever noticed Bohl going over and yelling at a coordinator prior to that during a game.

So lets just say NDSU has undergone some major changes in offensive and defensive philosophy in the offseason. Some changes are geared to adapt better to the MVFC and some will feature Mertens strengths(running and throwing on the run) instead of what he isn't great at, which is being a pure pocket passer.

I don't think NDSU will go 10-1 this year but I don't think 8-3 is out of the question.
Mertens probably got more blame than he deserved last year but the primary reason was he was the major difference between 2006/2007 and 2008. IMO, if you put Mertens on the 2007 team instead of Steve Walker, you've got a 7-4 team. You put Steve Walker on the 2008 team, you've got a 9-2 team. There was plenty of blame to go around but a good QB can make up for a lot of deficiencies and a bad QB can amplify them.

PantherRob82
August 11th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Mertens probably got more blame than he deserved last year but the primary reason was he was the major difference between 2006/2007 and 2008. IMO, if you put Mertens on the 2007 team instead of Steve Walker, you've got a 7-4 team. You put Steve Walker on the 2008 team, you've got a 9-2 team. There was plenty of blame to go around but a good QB can make up for a lot of deficiencies and a bad QB can amplify them.

Good points. I'd love to see you guys win in Ames. It's fun celebrating on their field. :)

UNIFanSince1983
August 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM
It was pretty fun to storm the Jack Trice field. I actually have a picture from the mob of players and fans looking up into the stands! :)

Drblankstare
August 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM
To beat almost anyone in DI you have to have both a ground and air threat. As of now NDSU does not scare anyone in the air. Im sure the running game will be good, but we still need to prove that we can go deep when they stack the line.

onbison09
August 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Historically in our program after a crappy year, we've bounced back. Hopefully it happens this year. I'm just not sure.

OrygunBison
August 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Historically in our program after a crappy year, we've bounced back. Hopefully it happens this year. I'm just not sure.

Notice how 6-5 is a very, very crappy year for our fans. Some teams would be speaking the praises of their coaches and players just to finally have a winning season.

We'll be fine this year. I predict 8-3 and a first round loss in the playoffs. I also predict a good rise in the program in the years to follow. We've been really nailing the recruiting as of late.

UNI Pike
August 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Notice how 6-5 is a very, very crappy year for our fans. Some teams would be speaking the praises of their coaches and players just to finally have a winning season.

We'll be fine this year. I predict 8-3 and a first round loss in the playoffs. I also predict a good rise in the program in the years to follow. We've been really nailing the recruiting as of late.

The first round of the playoffs for you is 10/10/09 - your prediction will hold true.

Chi Panther
August 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
New coach always spells trouble...but I don't see NDSU within 2 TDs in this one. Sounds like alot of players missing for NDSU....ISU has a BIG Oline this year, a very solid QB, and 2 decent RBs.