PDA

View Full Version : Which would be bigger for your program?

achrist70
August 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM
This is a question that I have been pondering for a few days.

Which would be better for your program a win over a BCS conference team or a National Championship?

phoenix3
August 8th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Uh, NC!

mtgrizfan4life
August 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Considering we are FCS, I will take a national championship as fan. With that said though, a BCS win is recognized and remembered by the nation, an FCS championship is only recognized and remembered by the fans at the FCS level.

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Depends on who the BCS team is: Duke or Florida?

TheBisonator
August 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Since NDSU's already been there done that (Gophers) and we already recieved the positives from that kind of thing, I would have to say a National Championship.

MR. CHICKEN
August 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
HOW 'BOUT BOTH.........LET'S SAY YA BEAT.......UH..UM...ER....EH....MICHIGAN.....DEN.. .PROCEED TA PICK-UP....DUH I-AA CHAMPIONSHIP BLING....IN 'NOOGAH.......AGIN'......UH TEAM....WHIFF DUH SAME HELMETS...&...UH #1 NFL QB DRAFT PICK.......NAH...DAT WOOD BE CRAZY....HUH...xconfusedx.............AWK!!

RichH2
August 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
NC is our goal we are FCS . While FBS win may be newsworthy and fun for alumni, 10 yrs later National championship is still there,a win over an FBS from 10 yrs earlier will probably engender a comment like "..... State must have been bad that year". Let us beat Mass or Montana. Trust me we will treasure that much more than a win over Army, Ohio, or another FBS school that "deigns"xoopsx to play us

achrist70
August 8th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I guess what I meant was a top BCS team eg. App. State over Michigan. I would like a National Championship, but at the same time I would love to see UNI beat Iowa and see how ESPN reacts, and hear all of the whining from Iowa fans.

NDSU over Minnesota wasn't that big of an upset, just like UNI over Iowa State wasn't that big of an upset.

Cocky
August 8th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I guess what I meant was a top BCS team eg. App. State over Michigan. I would like a National Championship, but at the same time I would love to see UNI beat Iowa and see how ESPN reacts, and hear all of the whining from Iowa fans.

NDSU over Minnesota wasn't that big of an upset, just like UNI over Iowa State wasn't that big of an upset.

Bigger for the program:
Top level (at least name wise) BCS victory

Personally:
I would get more enjoyment out of a NC.

TheBisonator
August 8th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I personally prefer a national championship. If it meant us losing to Iowa State on 9/3, I would take it.

Silenoz
August 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
No one around here remembers beating Washington State in 1996, but everyone remembers winning the 1995 title

crusader11
August 8th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I'd take a win over USC over a National Championship. I can't even imagine the news/publicity something like that would get.

I think the point of this thread was a realistic win over an FBS team (MAC / Independent / weak FBS team, not the dominant ones), and in this case I would choose the National Championship.

hawkeye
August 8th, 2009, 11:54 PM
HOW 'BOUT BOTH.........LET'S SAY YA BEAT.......UH..UM...ER....EH....MICHIGAN.....DEN.. .PROCEED TA PICK-UP....DUH I-AA CHAMPIONSHIP BLING....IN 'NOOGAH.......AGIN'......UH TEAM....WHIFF DUH SAME HELMETS...&...UH #1 NFL QB DRAFT PICK.......NAH...DAT WOOD BE CRAZY....HUH...xconfusedx.............AWK!!

Mr. Chicken, how do you do it?

I Bleed Purple
August 9th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Realistically, in terms of recognition in the state, I imagine a win over Wyoming and/or Colorado State this year would mean more than a national championship.

Go Poly
August 9th, 2009, 12:34 AM
For Cal Poly I think a win over Fresno State in '10 would rank pretty high to the program....although I would personally rather have a FCS National Championship.

CrunchGriz
August 9th, 2009, 12:53 AM
No one around here remembers beating Washington State in 1996, but everyone remembers winning the 1995 title

There's a good reason no one remembers it--it never happened. However, the Griz did wax Oregon State in 1996, 35-14. ;)

That was a very fun game to watch (saw it from the roof of then-Parker Stadium in Corvallis as I was helping my brother film it for a Portland TV station), but I'd take a NC any day of the week, without any doubt in my mind.

Silenoz
August 9th, 2009, 01:10 AM
My bad, getting 1995 and 1996 mixed up

bonarae
August 9th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Since the Ivy League is a very special case, attaining the items in my wish list (found in other threads throughout AGS) would be really needed in order to answer this question. For now, if the Ivies were eligible for both FBS scheduling and Chattanooga, I'd take a defeat over an FBS team, since the Ivies haven't played them in a long time and fans will appreciate us going back to football reality if that would happen.

jonmac
August 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Well, let's see. I believe it's beating Michigan that has made other FBS/BCS teams take us much more seriously and gave us much more national recognition than the Championships. But realistically, both have enhanced the other. I think it was very important that we won the NC after we beat Michigan. It does depend on what FBS/BCS team you beat as far as how long it will be remembered. Our UM win is a bit tarnished because of their fall from prominence(they will be back) but it was still the Michigan Wolverines, winningest program of all time, traditional powerhouse, historic stadium, home of Heisman Trophy winners, etc. I do think that since the goal for FCS teams is to win a championship then it should be bigger but since we don't get the press of FBS it may not be considered so by those who are ignorant of FCS. Beating a good FBS/BCS team will be remembered by more people, outside of FCS, longer than winning an FCS championship, at least the way it is now.

JohnStOnge
August 9th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I think it depends on who the BCS team is. Like someone said, if a FCS beats USC that's going to give their program incredible publicity (like when App beat Michigan only a little more). For better or for worse, if a FCS beats a Stanford or Duke or even a North Carolina they get very little publicity for it. I say that because I noticed that, when things like Furman blowing out Duke, UCDavis beating Stanford, and Richmond shut out Duke happened, the FCS victors got very lilttle press for it; at least on a national level. In fact one thing that disappoints me is that bottom dwellling FBS teams tend to get more publicity for beating bad to mediocre BCS league teams than FCS teams do. Like if a MAC team beats a Big 10 team you always hear about it regardless of which Big 10 team it is.

A national championship doesn't get a FCS much national publicity either, but I do think that it stirs interest in the program, increases attendance and alumni donations, etc. Of course, when it comes to personal preference, my wish would be for the national championship if it comes to a choice. Like if McNeese plays LSU next year. If would love for McNeese to miraculously beat the Tigers. But if I had to choose between that and a national title, I'd want the national title. Thing is, though, that if McNeese did beat LSU it'd probably mean they'd have a team good enough to have a legitimate shot at the national title as well.

NHwildEcat
August 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I can't remember which year for either game, but it would be pretty sweet to beat BC or Pitt in the next half decade...however, I would still take the NC because then you get to show off your team's accomplishment...no plaques or trophies for beating a BCS team.

NHwildEcat
August 9th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I can't remember which year for either game, but it would be pretty sweet to beat BC or Pitt in the next half decade...however, I would still take the NC because then you get to show off your team's accomplishment...no plaques or trophies for beating a BCS team.

It is Pitt in 2010 and BC in 2014.

appfan2008
August 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I think app is a special case having recently reached the pinnacle of both... I think your average bcs win is no where near as important as a nc but we really shouldnt joke around... I know the fans want a nc more than a bcs win but the question is which would be bigger for your program... it is hard for me to decide which is bigger in boone bc we had both at the same time but locally i would say 3 straight is much bigger but the amount of national attention that came with the michigan blows the 3 straight out of the water and may in fact be more important to the program on a national level... sad to say

89Hen
August 9th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I think your average bcs win is no where near as important as a nc but we really shouldnt joke around... I know the fans want a nc more than a bcs win but the question is which would be bigger for your program... it is hard for me to decide which is bigger in boone bc we had both at the same time but locally i would say 3 straight is much bigger but the amount of national attention that came with the michigan blows the 3 straight out of the water and may in fact be more important to the program on a national level... sad to say
No doubt. When App beat UD for it's third straight, did it even get a mention in SI? When you beat Michigan it was the cover story. It got replayed all over the country over and over and over. I think most here agree that the NC's are more important to us and the team, but the BCS win garners a lot more attention.

Husky Alum
August 9th, 2009, 08:54 AM
This year it would be beating Boston College.

I don't see how playing for a FCS title would generate a lot of interest at NU for several reasons..

1. We likely wouldn't draw well and we'd have to go on the road.

2. Hockey Season

3. Hockey Season

4. Word would get out how much money we'd lose (all people talk about NU when you mention winning a FCS title is - 'UMass won the title and they lost a ton of money')

It would be great, a handful of us would love it, but we'd get more juice locally by beating BC.

DFW HOYA
August 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I think this question has two answers.

If yout school is one of the 12-15 schools that, by wins, by revenue, and ability to host home playoff games, has the distinct ability to win a championship, then that's going to be important. But if your school is one of the 100-105 schools to which a true championship scenario is really not feasible, beating a I-A opponent has more weight.

89Hen
August 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM
If there's any doubt remaining. The most important quote comes at the 3:00 mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjQ_LBjib8E&feature=related

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I think all the hard core fans from UNH would say the National Championship. But there is a different dynamic at UNH because of the ice hockey program that plays at the highest level of D-I. Many people either ignore all other UNH sports programs or treat them with disdain because they don't play at the highest level of D-I. The fact that there are only around 60 D-I ice hockey programs rather than 225+ in football and 325+ in basketball doesn't sink in with this crew.

Our wins at Rutgers, Northwestern, Marshall and Army were instrumental in changing the perception of UNH Football with many within this hockey fanbase. Similarly, the sizable group of state residents who follow UNH Athletics casually, at best, also recognized the accomplishment of beating FBS teams. Unfortunately, there are far too many hockey fans and state residents who don't understand how great an achievement it would be for UNH to win in Chatty.

For the members of the program, winning the championship would be bigger. For the program to increase support (attendance, donations, corporate sponsorship, etc.), the FBS wins unfortunately might be bigger.

Monarch Nation
August 9th, 2009, 09:25 AM
App State beating Michigan was astounding, quite a feat, but in my opinion the three NCs they won stands as a mightier achievement.

App State fans, please don't read this as an attempt to start a fight, that is not my intent.

When you talk to the average college football fan in Florida, App State beating Michigan is perceived as the ultimate fluke. An aberration (although most people down here have no clue what that word means) against what should normally happen in the college football.

As for me, the rigors of going though the playoff system three times in a row and remaining undefeated each time stands as a testament to the coaching and team play of App State. While the upset of Michigan may or may not have been a "fluke," winning three NCs certainly was no fluke.

Uncle Buck
August 9th, 2009, 09:35 AM
NC without a doubt. I don't care who the FBS is, i want an NC.

MSUBear42
August 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM
The only FBS team that would make it worth it for me is if we would beat the crap out of Mizzou. Other than that, the NC, fo sho

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
This year it would be beating Boston College.

I don't see how playing for a FCS title would generate a lot of interest at NU for several reasons..

1. We likely wouldn't draw well and we'd have to go on the road.

2. Hockey Season

3. Hockey Season

4. Word would get out how much money we'd lose (all people talk about NU when you mention winning a FCS title is - 'UMass won the title and they lost a ton of money')

It would be great, a handful of us would love it, but we'd get more juice locally by beating BC.

While I was writing a reply, I see that my friend Husky Alum brought up the Chestnut Hill Beagles. IIRC, I've discussed with him how UNH beating UCH in 2014 might be even better than winning a National Championship for many hard core football fans at UNH, including myself. Maine, Northeastern, UMass and UNH are ice hockey rivals of the Beagles in Hockey East. Their hockey fan base is particularly obnoxious, arrogant and condescending. (Jump in Husky Alum!!)

Based on that and the regional recognition that would be gained, winning at Chestnut Hill would be huge for UNH as well as NU, UMass and Maine. Adding in how absolutely humbling it would be for UCH and how galling it would be to "Pinhead Nation" would just make it oh so sweet. Just like it would be to the UConVicts if they would schedule and lose to a top tier CAA team that was a former Yankee/A-10 mate!!!

While nationally, it wouldn't be viewed in the same light as App-Michigan, here in New England I believe it would be if any regional FCS squad took down the Beagles. I can't think of a similar dynamic elsewhere in the country, but it is a real one up here. It's probably feelings from deep within the dark side, but we're talking about considering selling your soul to ensure victory over the Beagles type stuff. xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
August 9th, 2009, 10:09 AM
To me beating Iowa would be HUGE. I would just love to shut all those Hawkeye fans up. I talk about UNI consistently having a chance at a National Championship, but all they say is that we play in a lower division. They brag about a New Years Day bowl when they go 7-5. Plus I would love to be able to see only UNI shirts in the dome for a game sometime. Half the time when ya go there are about a quarter of the people wearing Hawkeye gear.

There is no doubt I would love the National Championship more, but I think in the scheme of things in Iowa beating the Hawkeyes would be huge and probably mean more for us.

lucchesicourt
August 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I don't know how you can compare Stanford to Duke as to quality of a football team. Standford finished with a 5-6 record for the year when the Ags beat them. While Duke is usual lucky to win a game. I would say your comarison is incorrect, and that UCD did get national press for beating Stanford. Jim Rome mentioned the UCD victory over Stanford daily for at least a week, and locally it sure helped with recruiting. I know for sure Joe Trombetta's decision to attend UCD was strongly influenced by this game.

DX Man
August 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
National Championship(s)!

Jackman
August 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I'd take the BCS win, because we've had a National Championship more recently than one of those. I'd probably change my answer back to preferring a National Championship after we got the BCS win, excluding a win over a huge name program like Ohio State, etc.

Pitbull
August 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM

Which would be better for your program a win over a BCS conference team or a National Championship?

I would think the NC would be bigger....xthumbsupx

Minuteman87
August 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Beating a BCS school means you played a great game.
Winning the NC means you had a great season.
I'll take the great season.

darell1976
August 9th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I think it depends on the team in the FBS, if say we upset Texas Tech we gain respect throughout the FBS world and the publicity would be great...just the way that NDSU upset Minnesota it was all over ESPN and in the papers it boosted their program (too bad they were still in transition at that time so no NC was in site that year). But the ultimate goal for any team in the FCS is the NC. When we were in D2 we upset Northern Iowa it gave our team a big boost and earned more respect in the D2 world and i am sure it gained us respect from N. Iowa...but we didn't win a NC that year so it was a bitter-sweet season. Sweet you beat an FCS team, bitter you didn't end up #1 in D2. So IMO i see a NC more important than an FBS team.

GeauxColonels
August 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
In general, I think a National Championship. A win over just any "BCS" team might not really get much recognition...Duke? Baylor? Syracuse? But a win over a top-tier team or perenial power has much more of a national impact a la Appalachian St. over Michigan.

coover
August 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM
For Cal Poly I think a win over Fresno State in '10 would rank pretty high to the program....although I would personally rather have a FCS National Championship.

This year, Poly plays at Ohio and at San Jose State. While wins over either or both would be satisfying, they certainly would not be unexpected. Of course if San Jose State beats Southern California in their opener, a win over them would be HUGE, but I really do not think that is realistic.

A National Championship, however, would be bigger than HUGE. That is the always the goal, but almost unobtainable. And that is where Poly wants to be, and will be soon. Maybe not this year ... but it is coming!

JayJ79
August 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I think this question has two answers.

If yout school is one of the 12-15 schools that, by wins, by revenue, and ability to host home playoff games, has the distinct ability to win a championship, then that's going to be important. But if your school is one of the 100-105 schools to which a true championship scenario is really not feasible, beating a I-A opponent has more weight.

There are more than 15 schools that have the ability to win a championship.
Yes, being able to host home playoff games does help a bit, but winning on the road isn't impossible.

No, it may not be completely "fair", but most teams (barring the Ivies, the SWAC teams, and the non-scholarship teams) actually have a CHANCE at the championship. Which is more than can be said in the FBS, where the "championship game" won't ever include a team from a non-BCS conference.

Hammerhead
August 9th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'd take the championship. Sure, it's fun to see your FCS team all over ESPN for a week, but how many FBS fans even remember the name of that "I-AA" team that beat Michigan?

mtgrizfan4life
August 9th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Every Michigan fan remembers, and that is a lot of fans. xthumbsupx

BisonNDSU
August 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM
i'd definately say a national title. no doubt in my mind

spdram
August 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Ths Spiders have done both, and although beating a BCS team is something to be proud of it's not even close to winning the FCS NC. Getting to the playoffs and then winning it all, that's what it's all about!

MaximumBobcat
August 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
4 BCS teams in Texas. A&M, UT, Tx Tech, and Baylor.

A NC would be a bigger for our program than beating Baylor.

A NC might be better for our program than beating Tx Tech. A toss-up really.

Beating A&M would probably be better for our program (more media attention, more donations, more fan support, attendance, etc) than winning a NC.

Beating UT would be insane and would be ALL over the news. Season tickets would quintuple, students would be pouring in, etc...

IMO, beating A&M or UT > National Championship. As far as generating interest, attendance, etc for Texas State's program.

JALMOND
August 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Realistically, in terms of recognition in the state, I imagine a win over Wyoming and/or Colorado State this year would mean more than a national championship.

It won't matter, IBP. When we beat Hawaii (1999) and New Mexico (2006), the papers still talked about the Ducks and Beavers games, and buried us on page 6 of the sports sections. The best thing for state recognition is to beat the big in state FBS schools (us-Oregon and Oregon State; you-Utah and BYU). Those wins are the only ones I'd take over a national championship (and we got our shot this yearxthumbsupx).

elcid83
August 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM

As big as he App State win was, do any of our learned posters really think Michigan was a top BCS program at the time that App State beat them? I really have to say no.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

elcid83
August 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
By the way, I enjoyed my other Bulldogs - The Citadel Bulldogs beat Arkansas [they fired their coach the next day] and the SC Gamecocks [I was there]. Beating those guys is a lot of fun. I suspect the players would much rather have a national championship, though.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

g-webb1994
August 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
You play for the national championship, period. Beating a FBS team is nice, but the title is what the goal of every FCS team is at the start of every year.

A good example is when Dick Sheridan was at Furman. A legendary coach who beat Georgia Tech., South Carolina, and NC State twice while in charge, yet could never win the title. I bet he would have traded one of those FBS-level wins for a title.

DFW HOYA
August 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM
There are more than 15 schools that have the ability to win a championship...No, it may not be completely "fair", but most teams (barring the Ivies, the SWAC teams, and the non-scholarship teams) actually have a CHANCE at the championship. Which is more than can be said in the FBS, where the "championship game" won't ever include a team from a non-BCS conference.

Since 1984, every single champion (and 22 of the last 25 finalists) have been among the top three schools in one of five conferences: Big Sky, CAA, Missouri Valley, Southern, or Southland. The MEAC, Patriot and Big South titleists are no longer in the first tier of consideration. Does one really think a team like Holy Cross or Liberty can win the national title in a playoff system this year?

BearsCountry
August 9th, 2009, 09:39 PM
The only FBS team that would make it worth it for me is if we would beat the crap out of Mizzou. Other than that, the NC, fo sho

Arkansas would be just as big as beating Mizzou. I would say any of the Big 12 North teams sans Iowa State would be as well. Actually in all honesty I say beating the FBS teams would be a bigger deal than NC's in our state. Look at Northwest's track record in D2. We would be looked at as same as them, which isnt right but its how the majority view FCS football.

ur2k
August 9th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Last year UR won the NC and played UVA and lost. I'll take that combo any day of the week.

MR. CHICKEN
August 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM
As big as he App State win was, do any of our learned posters really think Michigan was a top BCS program at the time that App State beat them? I really have to say no.
Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

MICHIGAN WAS RANKED 2007 AP POLL PRESEASON #5.....STUNNED BAH APPY......PROMPTLY LOST DUH NEXT GAME TA OREGON...39-7....WENT 9-4....WHIFF WINS OVERAH #10 PENN STATE...#14 MICHIGAN STATE...#21 MINNESOTA...# 25 ILLINOIS......DRUBBED NOTRE DAME....LOST 14-3...TA #7 OHIO STASTE...&...#13 WISCONSIN 37-21.....ON DUH ROAD.....BEAT...#9 FLORIDA 'GATORS...41-35 IN DUH....CITRUS BOWL...........AH'D HAVE TA SAY YES......xnodx......BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

DX Man
August 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

You would "really" be wrong!xnonox

ASU_Fanatic
August 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
We've done both. xnodx

crusader11
August 9th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Since 1984, every single champion (and 22 of the last 25 finalists) have been among the top three schools in one of five conferences: Big Sky, CAA, Missouri Valley, Southern, or Southland. The MEAC, Patriot and Big South titleists are no longer in the first tier of consideration. Does one really think a team like Holy Cross or Liberty can win the national title in a playoff system this year?

If Richmond can do it, granted with scholarships, I see no reason Holy Cross can't make a deep run in the playoffs. Sure, we may not win it, but getting to the final 4 or 8 is very plausible. We will have one of the best offenses in the nation, and if the defense can tighten up a bit, we will be a tough out for anyone. And DFW don't be such a cynic...on Any Given Saturday......

Maroons
August 10th, 2009, 12:00 AM
For the next couple of years, beating an FBS team would have a greater impact on the school's fame/prestige/notoriety. But in the long-term, schools don't hang up banners for beating FBS teams and the national championship would be most remembered locally and institutionally.

For example, EKU beat (then) I-A teams regularly in the late 80s including shellacking Louisville one season but hardly anyone on campus remembers that ancient history. However, there are flags and trophies displayed on campus that recognize the pair of national championships from '79 and '82 so those are much more important events in the history of the school.

FargoBison
August 10th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Titles, they are what this level of football is all about.

DFW HOYA
August 10th, 2009, 06:18 AM
If Richmond can do it, granted with scholarships, I see no reason Holy Cross can't make a deep run in the playoffs. Sure, we may not win it, but getting to the final 4 or 8 is very plausible. We will have one of the best offenses in the nation, and if the defense can tighten up a bit, we will be a tough out for anyone. And DFW don't be such a cynic...on Any Given Saturday......

All I'm saying is that under the current I-AA playoff seeding (including home field advantage), it's very difficult for a PL or Big South team to be considered a significant championship contender. If HC got first and second round games at Fitton, great, but more than likely a PL champ will be sent on the road where its record has been less than dominating in the years since 2003.

As for the PL's at-large bids, these seem to have gone the way of the pay telephone.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Definitely a NC.....We have enough wins against FBS teams....

Unless U meant one from the Power 6 Conferences Perhaps? xeyebrowx

andy7171
August 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Bigger for the program? The best thing to happen to Towson football and really put it on the map, a win over Maryland in 2011. People would wake up and start coming to games if that happenes.

89Hen
August 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Bigger for the program? The best thing to happen to Towson football and really put it on the map, a win over Maryland in 2011. People would wake up and start coming to games if that happenes.
FINALLY. Somebody that gets the question. xthumbsupx

AggieManiac704
August 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I'd take the National Championship any day...but uhhhh we Aggies got some rebuildin to do

The Moody1
August 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=When you talk to the average college football fan in Florida, App State beating Michigan is perceived as the ultimate fluke. [/QUOTE]

Does that same Florida fan think it was a fluke when that same Michigan team beat Florida? :)

The Moody1
August 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Florida probably thought they were pretty good when the same Michigan team waxed them in their bowl game.

bjtheflamesfan
August 10th, 2009, 06:34 PM
A national championship would be pretty big Id think but in Liberty's case Id say a win over an FBS program. considering where the program has come from in three short years I think that would be bigger. I dont think LU is quite at the level of winning the NC yet though

Old Cage
August 10th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Times change. Thirty years ago (1978) we beat up on Boston College 27-0 before a large crowd at our stadium, then a few weeks later lost to Florida A&M in the I-AA championship game. The BC victory was larger for sure, and would have been if we had won the I-AA final, as recruiting and fan interest was more regional. "We played where? Florida who? For what title?"

Now, with television exposure, the situation is different with both the fan base and with recruiting. I read with interest the comments above from the UNH and Northeastern guys. We have beaten Boston College a few times in hoops and in hockey, and actually gave them an excellent go two years ago in football when Matty Heisman was their qb. Our championship game versus App State was much more important. In fact, I was at a meeting where Jack Wilson, the President of the five school UMass system, said that game ranked second in importance for the system that year, behind only one of our medical researchers winning a Nobel Prize.

Of course, if we beat Michigan in 2010....

FCS_Fan
August 10th, 2009, 06:53 PM

National Championship, every kid dreams of playing for one. Special at every level.

BJuice
August 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
No doubt about it...National Championship.

Being a graduate and a fan of an FCS school that is building the foundation, tradition, and culture of a winning program and a part of a conference that is also building the same things, it has to be a national championship.

A single win against an FBS school brings ten minutes of fame, 20 if it is big name.

A national championship brings hardware, history, and credibility. It says that you were the best, the #1 program for that year among the schools of the level on which you compete on a daily basis, not just for wins on the field, but for recruits and all of the other resources that go along with building a program.

KiddBrewer
August 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
No doubt about it...National Championship.

Being a graduate and a fan of an FCS school that is building the foundation, tradition, and culture of a winning program and a part of a conference that is also building the same things, it has to be a national championship.

A single win against an FBS school brings ten minutes of fame, 20 if it is big name.

A national championship brings hardware, history, and credibility. It says that you were the best, the #1 program for that year among the schools of the level on which you compete on a daily basis, not just for wins on the field, but for recruits and all of the other resources that go along with building a program.

A win over a top 10 FBS school brings money, history, and credibility.

with that said.....ill take both, in the same year!

but really, id say NC's mean more to a program in the long run. especially for people that actually know football. xcoffeex

Gil Dobie
August 10th, 2009, 08:32 PM

NDSU over MAC Champ and bowl team in Central Michigan by 30 points was a bigger upset, but beating the local FBS team was bigger to the program. UNI beating Iowa is bigger than UNI beating Iowa St too I bet.

g-webb1994
August 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Florida probably thought they were pretty good when the same Michigan team waxed them in their bowl game.

Yep, Tebow's Heisman year. What Appy did in the Big House is still nothing short of amazing.

BJuice
August 10th, 2009, 09:26 PM
A win over a top 10 FBS school brings money, history, and credibility.

but really, id say NC's mean more to a program in the long run. especially for people that actually know football. xcoffeex

Just playing a top 10 FBS school brings money.

KiddBrewer
August 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Just playing a top 10 FBS school brings money.

just think about how many "michigan sucks", "where is ann arbor?", etc shirts were sold.......

not just money to the school, but to the community

BDKJMU
August 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I don't know how you can compare Stanford to Duke as to quality of a football team. Standford finished with a 5-6 record for the year when the Ags beat them. While Duke is usual lucky to win a game. I would say your comarison is incorrect, and that UCD did get national press for beating Stanford. Jim Rome mentioned the UCD victory over Stanford daily for at least a week, and locally it sure helped with recruiting. I know for sure Joe Trombetta's decision to attend UCD was strongly influenced by this game.

Before last season that might have been the case with Duke. But Cutcliff is turing that program around. Last season Duke was better than half the teams in I-A last season. Hell, they:
-creamed UVA 31-3,
-beat a Navy bowl team
-beat a bowl Vandy team 10-7 that went .500 in the SEC
-lost in OT to a bowl Wake team.

I would not be surprised to see Duke 6-6 this season and in a toilet bowl.

BDKJMU
August 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM

A 6 point win is a waxing in your bookxeyebrowx

BDKJMU
August 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
If it was one of the top 10 BCS programs (I'm talking Top 10 over the course of this decade):
-Fla
-Ga
-LSU
-Ohio St
-Tx
-OK
-USC

And Auburn & Michigan if they both proved last season was an aberration.

Ok, well thats 9. I didn't forget:
-Tenn (2 losing seasons this decade including last season)
-Bama (3 losing seasons this decade + a 6-6 and 7-6 in 06'-07')
-Penn State (4 losing seasons this decade)
-FSU (back to back 7-6 in 06'-07')
-Miami (7-6 and 5-7 06'-07').

So if it was a win over one of those 9 powerhouse BCS teams or over
-VT, because they have been a top 25 team almost the whole decade, are less than 2 hrs away from JMU, and get the majority of the college football publicity in VA.
-UVA because they about an hr from JMU, are second to VT in publicity in VA, and because I hate them so much :D

So I think an NC would be bigger than beating 90% of I-A's. But there's about 10% laid out above that would be an exception to that.

TXST_CAT
August 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM
TXST has TCU this year and is predicted to win the SLC. Would be nice to upset TCU and make it to the Championship. Not a top Ten BCS program but a major program none the less. xnodx

The Cats
August 11th, 2009, 06:51 AM

I'd certainly settle for a conference championship at this point. xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
August 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM
A win over a BCS program would certainly be great but after a while it just becomes a footnote. A National Championship is something that stands out forever.

ur2k
August 11th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I don't wear a "We beat Duke in 2006 13-0" t-shirt or a hat or drink out of a coffee mug that says that. But I do have all of those things with 2008 National Champions on them. Same goes for banners on campus.

A win over a FBS team is a nice accomplishment. A championship should be the goal for all programs that play at this level.

yosef1969
August 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Depends 100% on the FBS team. Wins against perennial top tier FBS programs along with historical powerhouses such as UM, Notre Dame, Auburn, Nebraska bring far more to the program that wins against Duke, Wake, Wyoming, Troy, etc.

As an ASU fan there is no doubt in my mind that the win over Michigan was bigger to the program overall. You just can't buy that kind of publicity.

89Hen
August 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM
A win over a BCS program would certainly be great but after a while it just becomes a footnote. A National Championship is something that stands out forever.
Not really. Did you honestly know that FAMU, Idaho State, SIU and Montana State all have NC's?

PantherRob82
August 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'd take a win over USC over a National Championship. I can't even imagine the news/publicity something like that would get.

I think the point of this thread was a realistic win over an FBS team (MAC / Independent / weak FBS team, not the dominant ones), and in this case I would choose the National Championship.

The debate is UNI beating Iowa, the dominant team in the state that we have not beat in recent history. It would make huge gains for us in the state. Most of our fans would rather get the NC, but their would be huge financial benefits to beating Iowa.

PantherRob82
August 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I'd take the championship. Sure, it's fun to see your FCS team all over ESPN for a week, but how many FBS fans even remember the name of that "I-AA" team that beat Michigan?

I'd say most college football fans remember App St. Whenever someone isn't familiar with FCS they always ask me if that's like App St.

apppackdad
August 11th, 2009, 01:43 PM
The NC's were the Steak, the Michigan win the gravy!

Remember when App was the " best FCS program not to win a National Championship." Those days sucked in a lot of ways, especially when encountering GSU or Furman fans.

Also did not every article or TV commentary on the Michigan game mention that App was "the two time defending FCS champion.".The Michigan win would have been somewhat hollow, if not for the third NC.

By the way, the wins over Wake were sweet just because they were/are Wake. Local fans know exactly what that means!xsmiley_wix

Cobblestone
August 11th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Not really. Did you honestly know that FAMU, Idaho State, SIU and Montana State all have NC's?

I recall that one all too well.

GaelsFootball
August 11th, 2009, 04:11 PM
There is no definate answer for this question. It all depends on what FCS and FBS programs you are talking about. For example, I live in the heart of New York City and I would have to say that a very large majority of people don't even know what conference or whether Hofestra is even considered DI. If they were to win a NC they will garner some respect but they will still be buried pages deep in the papers. If Hofestra however were to beat a Rutgers team which is gaining respect and media attention here in the city then that would be a bigger deal in terms of exposure for the program and will get the attention of local recruits.
Compare that scenerio to perhaps Montana where they are the main ticket there; I would imagine that a NC helps them alot more than it would a school like Hof.
Every school and scenerio is different...it is impossible to compare schools and say there is a definate answer to this.

MR. CHICKEN
August 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I recall that one all too well.

HOW SO.......xconfusedx.........AWK!

IN 1984...MONTANA STATE.....KNOCKED OFF LOUISIANA TECH......19-6.....IN CHARLESTON, SOUFF CAROLINA!

BDKJMU
August 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I don't wear a "We beat Duke in 2006 13-0" t-shirt or a hat or drink out of a coffee mug that says that. But I do have all of those things with 2008 National Champions on them. Same goes for banners on campus.

A win over a FBS team is a nice accomplishment. A championship should be the goal for all programs that play at this level.

Duke was horrible that yr, 0-12. Even UR didn't make the playoffs in 06' after beating Duke, finishing 6-5. So of course you wouldn't have a "We beat Duke 13-0" t-shirt from 06'. But if UR had beaten say, GA, Fla, LSU, Auburn, Ohio State, Texas, OK USC, etc or since its Virginia VA Tech you damn well would have had that t-shirt, and a-lot more. Far more college football fans would have known UR for that than for winning the NC. That includes in the state of VA and even the Richmond area. That's just the reality.

Of course an NC should be the goal for all teams at this level. Unfortunately outside of the diehards like us on AGS and on each schools own message boards, ie the casual fan masses, that would never rank up there with beating a top 10 BCS, heck make that a top 20 BCS or the big in state power if there is one.

techstate
August 12th, 2009, 04:04 AM
NC! We need more money for a new stadium.

Tealblood
August 12th, 2009, 07:06 AM
at this point I would say FBS win

we play Clemson and Kent St this year

the Kent St. not so much

but a win at Clemson this year would be huge

ur2k
August 12th, 2009, 07:15 AM

And outside of App beating Michigan I can't name any other FCS over FBS wins that involve teams other than Richmond.

Tealblood
August 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM
this discussion should be broken down by class within a class

I mean FBS includes the Kent St.'s and the Clemson

you have BCS members of conferences and then the rest of FBS

it is also important to note for us to beat Clemson would be bigger than beating lets say Virginia

but for JMU it would be bigger to beat a Va Tech than say Clemson

URMite
August 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM
this discussion should be broken down by class within a class

I mean FBS includes the Kent St.'s and the Clemson

you have BCS members of conferences and then the rest of FBS

it is also important to note for us to beat Clemson would be bigger than beating lets say Virginia

but for JMU it would be bigger to beat a Va Tech than say Clemson

There may actually be quite a few classes, high, middle, & low of both BCS & Non-BCS. And that doesn't include geography.

How many FCS wins are there since the mid-90s over a BCS team (not FBS) that ended the season 7-4 or better?

89Hen
August 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM
And outside of App beating Michigan I can't name any other FCS over FBS wins that involve teams other than Richmond.
The App win was the first win over a ranked BCS team and the thread specifically asked about BCS teams, not FBS. xpeacex

Redbird Ray
August 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I'll be in the minority here and say that I would rather have a win over a major BCS opponent than a NC. As mentioned several times already, few people outside of hardcore FCS fans even care about our NC. The national title game is hardly a blip on ESPN ratings (let's be honest, if it were, we would be on a different time than Friday night).

Beating a BCS powerhouse in a stong year for them ala App St over Mich means that you could not only dominate your own class level, but you are/were among the best of any team in the country. That sort of respect is not inherent in the eyes of most people with merely winning the FCS title. I'm sorry, but it just isn't.

Of course, winning a NC in the same season as having a monster upset further helps a team's cause, but if I had to pick one, I think I'd take the huge upset over the BCS caliber team.

ur2k
August 12th, 2009, 01:02 PM
The App win was the first win over a ranked BCS team and the thread specifically asked about BCS teams, not FBS. xpeacex

OK, I'll ammend my statement.

And outside of App beating Michigan I can't name any other FCS over BCS wins that involve teams other than Richmond.

Silenoz
August 12th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Montana State over Colorado was pretty recent

BDKJMU
August 12th, 2009, 02:18 PM

The obvioulsy you don't follow the CAA. Even in this decade besides UR over Duke, UNH 4x, UD over Navy, Maine over Miss State, I think Nova over Temple (beginning of 00s). And that's just off the top of my head.

URMite
August 12th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Montana State over Colorado was pretty recent

Was that 2006? And wasn't Colorado 2-10?

Not directed specifically toward you, but I'd still like to know if the App St - Michigan game is the only win that our division has over a team from one of the BCS conferences that ended the season 7-4 or better. xconfusedx

ur2k
August 12th, 2009, 02:52 PM
The obvioulsy you don't follow the CAA. Even in this decade besides UR over Duke, UNH 4x, UD over Navy, Maine over Miss State, I think Nova over Temple (beginning of 00s). And that's just off the top of my head.

I knew they happened, I just couldn't name them without looking it up. Just being honest in relation to the question posed.

I'll ask the UNH fans since they have so many FBS wins - would you trade all of those for a National Championship?

A National Championship is a reflection on the success of your program - a win over a BCS is one game and can be construed as a fluke. App did beat Michigan but then got blown out of the water by LSU the next year. So what? They won 3 consecutive championships - I think that is a better reflection on the strength of their program.

PantherRob82
August 12th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I knew they happened, I just couldn't name them without looking it up. Just being honest in relation to the question posed.

I'll ask the UNH fans since they have so many FBS wins - would you trade all of those for a National Championship?

A National Championship is a reflection on the success of your program - a win over a BCS is one game and can be construed as a fluke. App did beat Michigan but then got blown out of the water by LSU the next year. So what? They won 3 consecutive championships - I think that is a better reflection on the strength of their program.

they might trade those, but we're talking about a major in-state or regional rival.

PantherRob82
August 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM
App did beat Michigan but then got blown out of the water by LSU the next year. So what? They won 3 consecutive championships - I think that is a better reflection on the strength of their program.

and the year they lost to LSU they didn't even make the championship

Gil Dobie
August 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM

NDSU over Minnesota and a blocked FG from 2x.

andy7171
August 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
they might trade those, but we're talking about a major in-state or regional rival.

A agree with PR. A Towson victory over Maryland would be earth shattering and talked about for years and years.

JohnStOnge
August 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Was that 2006? And wasn't Colorado 2-10?

Not directed specifically toward you, but I'd still like to know if the App St - Michigan game is the only win that our division has over a team from one of the BCS conferences that ended the season 7-4 or better. xconfusedx

I think that the answer is yes. I think it was only the second win by a I-AA/FCS team over a team that's currently in the BCS conferences that finished with a winning record. And the first one was before the BCS era when 6-5 South Carolina lost to The Citadel in 1990.

yosef1969
August 12th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I think that the answer is yes. I think it was only the second win by a I-AA/FCS team over a team that's currently in the BCS conferences that finished with a winning record. And the first one was before the BCS era when 6-5 South Carolina lost to The Citadel in 1990.

I think you're right. ASU tied a Wake Forest team in 1988 that went 6-4-1 but that's not a win and they weren't 7-4 or better either.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
August 12th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Remember, the question is what would be bigger for your program not what is the greater achievement. To me, having to win four playoff games is the greater achievement, but because of differences in fan bases and locales, the FBS win could be bigger for the program.

Sure, I as a hard core fan might trade the Rutgers win in 2004 for a National Championship. And we would have won in Statesboro, Missoula, at Sam Houston State then in Chatty over JMU to win the crown. That would have been a monumental achievement, but I'm not sure it would have brought the same notoriety and publicity that the Rutgers win did. After that Rutgers win we have press from the NY Times, the San Francisco Something-or-other, etc. crawling all over the UNH Athletic offices wanting to know more about this freshman quarterback Ricky Santos beating Rutgers in his first start. We didn't have much of a fanbase back then and that win over Rutgers made a huge statement to many people who unfortunately didn't know how good the FCS Playoff teams really were.

In an earlier post, I mentioned the ice hockey dynamic at UNH. Unfortunately, many of this crew looked at the Rutgers win as a bit of a fluke and they didn't view Rutgers as good or truly big time. Now in 2006 when we beat Northwestern that really opened eyes because they were a Big Ten team. Didn't make a difference how good they were, they were a member of one of the oldest, traditionally strong conferences. That win coupled with the Rutgers win really broke down some barriers at UNH. Again, as a hard core fan, I think I would trade the Northwestern win for a National Championship. But again, I'm not sure it would have had as much impact as that Northwestern win. Yeah, people would have taken notice because we would have beaten UMass in Amherst to advance to the semi-finals, but as others have said, to all these casual fans who don't know much about FCS, beating a Big Ten team at their stadium was viewed as something they never thought UNH was capable of doing. Our football was always knocked because were "small time" and "didn't really play anybody". After beating Rutgers and Northwestern, that could no longer be said.

I'm sure it's not the same for programs that have been established for years and have strong fan bases (Delaware, Montana, GA Southern, etc.). But for other programs who haven't had the success, play in the shadow of a FBS or professional program, grabbing a big time FBS win is probably bigger for their program. For example:

UNH/Maine/Northeastern/URI over BC/UConn
Towson over Maryland
Albany over Syracuse
Elon over Wake Forest/North Carolina/NC State
Wofford over South Carolina/Clemson
Northern Iowa over Iowa
Any Big South over any ACC
Any Southland from LA over LSU

I'm guessing that W&M/Richmond/JMU over VA Tech/UVA would have a pretty big impact. Even as established as the GaSoU program is, a win over Georgia might be bigger for their program and school then winning another NC. How about if Eastern KY beat Kentucky? Or TN-Martin were to beat the Vols? Or WIU/EIU/SIU/ISU were to beat the Illini?

BTW, it is very difficult for me to actually conceptualize trading the FBS wins because my experience being in the stands at Rutgers and Northwestern were once in a lifetime type experiences. I feel like a greedy, never happy, never satisfied type fan for even considering trading those experiences. :p I will go to my grave with memories of those two games. I'll keep those for now and hopefully will get to add a Chatty experience down the road!! ;) :D

wingt2flex
August 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM
A major win over a FBS team. When ASU beat Michigan it was a showstopper.
Since that win, the FCS is no longer considered the little sister in college FB.
Transfer from FBS now consistently looking at finishing their football careers at FCS schools. The NFL has taken notice and is drafting QBs, CBs, and WRs in the 1st to 3rd rounds. The upside for Cal Poly was a $400,000 pay day at Wisconsin.
The downside was our TO coach got a job with Army. What the FCS needs is more
TV exposure on a weekly basis with a game of the week leading up to the playoffs. Televised playoffs, and a national setting for the championship game
(ie Dallas' new stadium - sorry, Chattanooga). As a graduate of Cal Poly, then graduate courses at both USC and UCLA, I personal love every victory of a FCS team over the FBS. IF we had scholarship parity, we would have football parity. The shortcoming almost every FCS school is in the OL and DL. If you good some
All-Americas, they are usually beat to pulp come play off time. As our ex-coach
Ellerson said, "in the FCS, you have one and a half players for every two positions; at the FBS level you have three players for every two positions. The
question on the table (because scholarships are internally generated expenses) is what God like power determined 85 versus 63 scholarships. Change that rule and it would be like the old NFL versus AFL arguement, who is better. Hence, the battle cry should be "All for 85 and 85 for all". Thanks for the soap box. Go FCS.

BDKJMU
August 12th, 2009, 11:39 PM
OK, I'll ammend my statement.

And outside of App beating Michigan I can't name any other FCS over BCS wins that involve teams other than Richmond.

I did my 1st reply before I saw you're amended statement. As far as just CAA over BCS this decade in additon to UR over Duke in 06':
03' Nova over Temple (Temple was still in the Big East until 05')
04' UNH over Rutgers
04' Maine over Miss State
06' UNH over Northwestern

Like I said, anybody who has been following the CAA the last 1/2 doz years knows that.

BDKJMU
August 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
A major win over a FBS team. When ASU beat Michigan it was a showstopper.
Since that win, the FCS is no longer considered the little sister in college FB.
Transfer from FBS now consistently looking at finishing their football careers at FCS schools. The NFL has taken notice and is drafting QBs, CBs, and WRs in the 1st to 3rd rounds. The upside for Cal Poly was a $400,000 pay day at Wisconsin.
The downside was our TO coach got a job with Army. What the FCS needs is more
TV exposure on a weekly basis with a game of the week leading up to the playoffs. Televised playoffs, and a national setting for the championship game
(ie Dallas' new stadium - sorry, Chattanooga). As a graduate of Cal Poly, then graduate courses at both USC and UCLA, I personal love every victory of a FCS team over the FBS. IF we had scholarship parity, we would have football parity. The shortcoming almost every FCS school is in the OL and DL. If you good some
All-Americas, they are usually beat to pulp come play off time. As our ex-coach
Ellerson said, "in the FCS, you have one and a half players for every two positions; at the FBS level you have three players for every two positions. The
question on the table (because scholarships are internally generated expenses) is what God like power determined 85 versus 63 scholarships. Change that rule and it would be like the old NFL versus AFL arguement, who is better. Hence, the battle cry should be "All for 85 and 85 for all". Thanks for the soap box. Go FCS.

The ASU over Michigan win I doubt made much difference in the amount of guys looking to transfer down outside of those looking to transfer to ASU.

You think the NFL all of a sudden said, "Gee, ASU beat Michigan. So maybe we'll start drafting I-AA guys in the 1st 3 rounds." Give me a break. xlolxxlolxxlolx The win over Michigan made zero difference in how the NFL grades potential draftees. The NFL evaluates hundreds of guys each year. One monster upset doesn't change how they evaluate people. xrolleyesx

And as far as scholarships, if I-AA was all of a sudden granted 85 you think that would put the top I-AA teams programs on par with Ohio State, Texas, Ok, Fla, Ga, LSU, Auburn, USC, etc, etc? Give me a breakxlolx There is a FAR bigger difference between the 2 levels than just 22 scholarships.

"FBS teams went 85-2 (.977) against FCS teams last season, and are 375-37 (.910) since 2003."
That's due to a lot more than a 22 scholly difference.

"This year, 87 FBS teams will play a total of 94 games against FCS foes. Duke, Kansas State, Mississippi, North Carolina, N.C. State, Rutgers and USF each play two FCS teams."
http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/games_preview.html

URMite
August 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Thanks! That's what I was looking for, I could find the wins but not the FBS teams' records without looking up each one. xoopsx

I guess I'm slightly surprised (not much) because Richmond was in a conference in the 50-70's that allowed them enough opportunities that they would win one every 7-8 years or so and I thought it might still happen somewhere in FCS occasionally.

URMite
August 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Remember, the question is what would be bigger for your program not what is the greater achievement. To me, having to win four playoff games is the greater achievement, but because of differences in fan bases and locales, the FBS win could be bigger for the program.

Sure, I as a hard core fan might trade the Rutgers win in 2004 for a National Championship. And we would have won in Statesboro, Missoula, at Sam Houston State then in Chatty over JMU to win the crown. That would have been a monumental achievement, but I'm not sure it would have brought the same notoriety and publicity that the Rutgers win did. After that Rutgers win we have press from the NY Times, the San Francisco Something-or-other, etc. crawling all over the UNH Athletic offices wanting to know more about this freshman quarterback Ricky Santos beating Rutgers in his first start. We didn't have much of a fanbase back then and that win over Rutgers made a huge statement to many people who unfortunately didn't know how good the FCS Playoff teams really were.

In an earlier post, I mentioned the ice hockey dynamic at UNH. Unfortunately, many of this crew looked at the Rutgers win as a bit of a fluke and they didn't view Rutgers as good or truly big time. Now in 2006 when we beat Northwestern that really opened eyes because they were a Big Ten team. Didn't make a difference how good they were, they were a member of one of the oldest, traditionally strong conferences. That win coupled with the Rutgers win really broke down some barriers at UNH. Again, as a hard core fan, I think I would trade the Northwestern win for a National Championship. But again, I'm not sure it would have had as much impact as that Northwestern win. Yeah, people would have taken notice because we would have beaten UMass in Amherst to advance to the semi-finals, but as others have said, to all these casual fans who don't know much about FCS, beating a Big Ten team at their stadium was viewed as something they never thought UNH was capable of doing. Our football was always knocked because were "small time" and "didn't really play anybody". After beating Rutgers and Northwestern, that could no longer be said.

I'm sure it's not the same for programs that have been established for years and have strong fan bases (Delaware, Montana, GA Southern, etc.). But for other programs who haven't had the success, play in the shadow of a FBS or professional program, grabbing a big time FBS win is probably bigger for their program. For example:

UNH/Maine/Northeastern/URI over BC/UConn
Towson over Maryland
Albany over Syracuse
Elon over Wake Forest/North Carolina/NC State
Wofford over South Carolina/Clemson
Northern Iowa over Iowa
Any Big South over any ACC
Any Southland from LA over LSU

I'm guessing that W&M/Richmond/JMU over VA Tech/UVA would have a pretty big impact. Even as established as the GaSoU program is, a win over Georgia might be bigger for their program and school then winning another NC. How about if Eastern KY beat Kentucky? Or TN-Martin were to beat the Vols? Or WIU/EIU/SIU/ISU were to beat the Illini?

BTW, it is very difficult for me to actually conceptualize trading the FBS wins because my experience being in the stands at Rutgers and Northwestern were once in a lifetime type experiences. I feel like a greedy, never happy, never satisfied type fan for even considering trading those experiences. :p I will go to my grave with memories of those two games. I'll keep those for now and hopefully will get to add a Chatty experience down the road!! ;) :D

Yes, a VA FCS over a BCS would have a big impact, but maybe not as much as you think. Since Richmond (and W&M) were routinely playing UVA, VA Tech, WVU, MD, UNC, USC, UGA, Bama...in the 50s through the 70s a win isn't entirely unprecedented. I'm pretty sure Richmond went 3-1 again VA Tech late 70s, early 80s.

I think it would have a bigger impact on teams that have moved from DII instead of from what is now FBS. Not completely sure of their history but Towson over Maryland is a good example. Maryland is the major FBS in the state, and I don't think there are any FCS teams that were a major competitor in a previous life. So that would be huge.

AmsterBison
August 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'll take a national championship, please. It's the greatest accomplishment an FCS team can achieve.

Besides, I don't think NDSU can top either the first or second Gopher game. No other BCS program is located in a city with such a large concentration of alumni and the next time NDSU plays the Gophers there won't be any opportunity to outnumber their fans (and the number of Bison fans who showed up was what really opened some eyes in Minnesota)... And, no, we'll never get tired of yapping about it. :)

JDC325
August 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Since the question is BETTER for the program and not which one would you prefer.

IT would be beating a good BCS program hands down for recogniction and getting apathetic alumni back interested in FCS football.

GSU has won more NC's than anyone else but beating UGA or Tech would dwarf any of the individual NC's in what it would bring to the program.

App's NC's did not get near the coverage that beating Michigan did. They did not put the Mich score on the NC for no reason.

Should have been a poll.

blazrdog#1
August 13th, 2009, 12:47 PM
we scared the hell out of Ole Miss for three quarters and that was good enough for me ! SAMFORD RULES !!!xbowxxbowxxbowx

EmeryZach
August 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
National Championship by far.

BDKJMU
August 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
National Championship by far.

xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx I know you'd prefer a NC by far, as would I for JMU. But you don't think a UMass win over BC would be bigger for the UMass program in terms of getting recognition in the state and throughout New England and getting the alumni masses & casual fan masses to take notice?

89Hen
August 13th, 2009, 03:51 PM
xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx I know you'd prefer a NC by far, as would I for JMU. But you don't think a UMass win over BC would be bigger for the UMass program in terms of getting recognition in the state and throughout New England and getting the alumni masses & casual fan masses to take notice?
I do. UMass already won a NC and they still don't regularly fill McGuirk. No smack, just saying.