PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brunner love thread

blukeys
August 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I know I am really old but I just can't take it anymore. Armanti Edwards will not play a down as a NFL QB. Neither will Rodney Landers. There have been many great sub FBS QB's and they have actually played in the NFL. I have seen NFl Qb's in Greg Landry and Mike Buck. The level of talent I have seen over the years including Westbrook and Chrebet has been extraordinary.

I am frustrated by the lack of love that Scott Brunner has gotten. He actually played as a pro. He did a great job for the New York Giants and was a starter. This is Something Rodney Landers or Dave Dickinson will never do.

Scott Brunner backed up Jeff Komlo (starter at the Detroit Lions) at Delaware , Personally, I thought Scott was better. Scott had a Joe Flacco type of arm. His throws were always a frozen rope. His performances against Youngstown State are legendary.

Scott was a starter for the New York Giants. The Giants thought Phil Simms was better. Phil did win a Super Bowl with Scott as a backup. My opinion is that Scott was better than Phil but that issue can never be resolved.

With all of the talk of recent FCS QB's I am perplexed that my Delaware friends are not giving Scott the love he rightly deserves. I know we have had many great QB's at Delaware in addition to Scott but I have seen the names of many QB's on another thread who could not carry Scott's jockstrap.

FCS Go!
August 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I think the other thread is about the best FCS (and by implication I-AA) QB you've seen play in person. Brunner played in D-II right?

Uncle Rico's Clan
August 6th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I don't know why you are comparing Dave Dickenson to Rodney Landers and Armanti, are you aware DD graduated from the University of Montana in the spring of '96? He then went on to have one of the most prolific careers in CFL history, in fact many of his stats in that league are better than Warren Moon's. Had Dave been a few inches taller his professional career would have been much different. Also, the only reason Landers and Armanti may not play QB in the NFL is because of their personal playing style, it has nothing to do with their athletic ability.

Hellgate60
August 6th, 2009, 07:34 AM
In my mind, the great FCS/I-AA quarterbacks don't have to play at all in the NFL. That's not the criteria to make a great FCS/I-AA quarterback. His College performance is what makes him a great FCS/I-AA quarterback. Davey D helped the Grizzlies in winning their first National Championship and he won the Walter Payton Award and still holds some Grizzly records. Armanti Edwards has won two National Championship rings and has won the Walter Payton Award. Some of the App State fans can inform of you of his records. What did Scott Brunner do in his Collegiate career?

Hellgate60
August 6th, 2009, 09:32 AM
In my mind, great FCS/I-AA quarterbacks don't have to play in the NFL. I think what makes a great FCS/I-AA quarterback is someone who puts up great numbers in College. Davey D helped lead the Grizzlies to their first National Championship and won the Walter Payton Award. He also still holds Grizzly records. Armanti has two Championship rings and won the Walter Payton award. App State fans can inform you of his records. Tom Brady's NFL numbers don't make him a great College quarterback

89Hen
August 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I am perplexed that my Delaware friends are not giving Scott the love he rightly deserves.
I'm 42. Not old, but no spring chicken. Probably in the upper end of Hen fans that post here. My first UD game in person was probably in 1970 or 71, but I was only 3 or 4. I was 12 when Brunner and the Hens won the NC. I'm sure I saw him play, but honestly, he was a little before my time. My son is now 11 and I don't think he'll really remember seeing Flacco play as a Hen when he's 42. xsmiley_wix

Seahawks Fan
August 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM
With all due respect, Scott Brunner couldn't tie Phil Simms shoes. xnodx

Ivytalk
August 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Tha Flacco analogy is pretty good. Both were big guys with atrong, accurate arms, and both were winners.xnodx

Go...gate
August 6th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I know I am really old but I just can't take it anymore. Armanti Edwards will not play a down as a NFL QB. Neither will Rodney Landers. There have been many great sub FBS QB's and they have actually played in the NFL. I have seen NFl Qb's in Greg Landry and Mike Buck. The level of talent I have seen over the years including Westbrook and Chrebet has been extraordinary.

I am frustrated by the lack of love that Scott Brunner has gotten. He actually played as a pro. He did a great job for the New York Giants and was a starter. This is Something Rodney Landers or Dave Dickinson will never do.

Scott Brunner backed up Jeff Komlo (starter at the Detroit Lions) at Delaware , Personally, I thought Scott was better. Scott had a Joe Flacco type of arm. His throws were always a frozen rope. His performances against Youngstown State are legendary.

Scott was a starter for the New York Giants. The Giants thought Phil Simms was better. Phil did win a Super Bowl with Scott as a backup. My opinion is that Scott was better than Phil but that issue can never be resolved.

With all of the talk of recent FCS QB's I am perplexed that my Delaware friends are not giving Scott the love he rightly deserves. I know we have had many great QB's at Delaware in addition to Scott but I have seen the names of many QB's on another thread who could not carry Scott's jockstrap.

Amen. Glad I'm not the only one. Even the UD supporters don't seem to give him his due!

Go...gate
August 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I think the other thread is about the best FCS (and by implication I-AA) QB you've seen play in person. Brunner played in D-II right?

He played right before UD's move to I-AA. Their schedule did not change much.

ChickenMan
August 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Scott Brunner's problem was that he played only one season at UD... the other years he was a backup to the now infamous Jeff Komlo.

Brunner did lead the Giants to the playoffs and I witnessed his beating of the Eagles at the Vet in a playoff game in 1981.

GannonFan
August 6th, 2009, 01:01 PM

He played right before UD's move to I-AA. Their schedule did not change much.

Here we go again!!! DII prior to the creation of DI-AA was equivalent. Both were, as FCS is now, the first division below whatever name the top division in football had/has (DI, DI-A, FBS, etc).

Go...gate
August 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Here we go again!!! DII prior to the creation of DI-AA was equivalent. Both were, as FCS is now, the first division below whatever name the top division in football had/has (DI, DI-A, FBS, etc).

OK, thanks.

Brunner was damn good. Period.

89Hen
August 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
xnodx Delaware's 1979 schedule included: Rhode Island, Temple, Lehigh, Villanova, William & Mary, Maine, Youngstown State and Colgate. :)

CrusaderBob
August 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Minor nit ...

Brunner was not on the Giants when they won their first Super Bowl in January 1987. Jeff Rutledge was the backup to Simms that year.

I think Brunner's final season with the Giants was '83 or '84.