PDA

View Full Version : EKU's new look for 2009

EKU05
August 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM
The new uniforms were unveiled last week. A little more traditional looking. The darker maroon has been popular on the EKU board, as well as the return to mix and match pants and jerseys as opposed to the monochromatic scheme from the past few years.

The helemt switching from "EKU" to "E" has been slightly more controversial, but I think I like it. I'll be interested to hear thoughts from around FCS.

http://www.ekusports.com/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=16

uofmman1122
August 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
They look pretty good. I'm really not a fan of the E logo on the helmets, though.

PantherRob82
August 6th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I like the uniforms. The E almost reminds me of Eastern Michigan

FCS Go!
August 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM
They look pretty good. I'm really not a fan of the E logo on the helmets, though.

Exactly what I was going to say.

slostang
August 6th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I like them. Well done.

Uncle Buck
August 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I actually like the E on the hats but i'm not a fan of the number style. I like more of a block style with an offset or border. I do like the darker colors.

Bull Fan
August 6th, 2009, 06:24 AM
The number font is gross.

Bam
August 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Hey we had the event in a bar. Nuff said.

LacesOut
August 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM
The number font is gross.

This.

Good lord, the numbers just look scotch taped on. And the EKU on the hats were better than that E.

Sorry! Not a fan of these uni's.

Bam
August 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I think moving away from Nike brand was a mistake. Oh well, the uni's are OK, but it's whats under them is the key.

ASU_Fanatic
August 6th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Those are nice.

89Hen
August 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
The helemt switching from "EKU" to "E" has been slightly more controversial, but I think I like it. I'll be interested to hear thoughts from around FCS.
I like the idea of an E, but the execution didn't work. EKU would be probably be better, but I don't like the one in your avatar either. Agreed with the others that the font just doesn't do it for me. xpeacex

Bam
August 6th, 2009, 08:39 AM
EKU05's avatar is the helmets in the 80's & 90's. Last yr's helmet looked too much like East Carolina's (ECU). IMO.

FCS_Fan
August 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I like them. They numbers do not look that bad on most of the players. Hardman is so big it distorts them a little.

I like the "E". Remember this is the 100th anniversary of the program and they are trying to go a little nostalgic as a tribute to the past.

89Hen
August 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM
EKU05's avatar is the helmets in the 80's & 90's. Last yr's helmet looked too much like East Carolina's (ECU). IMO.
Ah. How about the one in FCS_Fan's avatar? Is that last years? If so, I like that one better than the new E.

Bam
August 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Yes last yr's. Looks like ECU to me? The E is cool.

hawkeye
August 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Those look good. I was glad UTM changed their uni's. I really like the Orange shirts when we wear those. When UTM played South Florida first game last year, the student section for South Florida was yelling "Auburn Tigers" We certainly didnt play like Auburn that night. Ouch.

EKU05
August 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Those look good. I was glad UTM changed their uni's. I really like the Orange shirts when we wear those. When UTM played South Florida first game last year, the student section for South Florida was yelling "Auburn Tigers" We certainly didnt play like Auburn that night. Ouch.

The UTM uniforms do look a whole lot like Auburn. Before those came out wasn't it more of a true blue than the navy that you guys use now?

89Hen
August 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
The UTM uniforms do look a whole lot like Auburn.
Must be something in Tennessee. UTC's unis were GT's with just a slightly different gold.

http://www.utc.edu/Administration/UniversityRelations/Chattanooga_Today/200709/art/newlook.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-jBoonhKJtU/SZi7zHkWAZI/AAAAAAAAAHo/dzaUiSEtJY4/s400/Georgia+Tech.jpg

LacesOut
August 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Must be something in Tennessee. UTC's unis were GT's with just a slightly different gold.

http://www.utc.edu/Administration/UniversityRelations/Chattanooga_Today/200709/art/newlook.jpg

Ooh, now those I like!

Something about the three different color scheme does it for me, LOL. Black helmets, gold jerseys, white pants.

89Hen
August 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Something about the three different color scheme does it for me, LOL. Black helmets, gold jerseys, white pants.
I do too, but it's GT's unis. USF's white-green-gold are one of my favorites for that reason.

https://admin.xosn.com/pics10/0/PG/PGHQPBEDPVFDDDC.20081229162154.jpg

jaxstatealum
August 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Nice unis! Now go win the conference since we can't ;)

TTUEagles
August 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Nice unis! Now go win the conference since we can't ;)

Hey! Why them and not us? Can't you be for a major, major underdog?xlolx (kidding).

I like the new logo and helmet, that, and the new field, too! Going to be an excited bunch for their first home game. Maybe you can add cement shoes for all the players, so at least TTU will have a chance...

GeauxColonels
August 6th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I like the EKU unis, but definitely not the helmet. I don't think that the "E" is unique enough to stand on its own as a logo. I say go back to EKU or throw the Colonel up on those hats.

EKU05
August 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I like the EKU unis, but definitely not the helmet. I don't think that the "E" is unique enough to stand on its own as a logo. I say go back to EKU or throw the Colonel up on those hats.

I actually thought the Colonel might look pretty cool too, but I don't hate the "E." Everything was too small when it said EKU. I like the bolder, more singular look of it.

hawkeye
August 6th, 2009, 07:54 PM
The UTM uniforms do look a whole lot like Auburn. Before those came out wasn't it more of a true blue than the navy that you guys use now?

Yes they changed the complete color scheme.

GeauxColonels
August 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I actually thought the Colonel might look pretty cool too, but I don't hate the "E." Everything was too small when it said EKU. I like the bolder, more singular look of it.
I like the idea of the single letter on the helmet, but I think it just needs something more to make it more identifiable.

ekufbfan
August 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I like the new unis. Especially the return the true EKU dark maroon color and the stipes on the pants. I don't like the E on the helmet. If we are going to use the "E", I think the old block E we used once last year looked better. I don't care for the rebranding done several years ago, incuding the new Colonel logo. There is something to be said about tradition and the EKU with the pride stripes was tradition!

That said, WINNING is most important. If we do that who will care what the helmet looks like. GO EKU!!

Have not seen the new turf yet, but hear it looks good (even with the Colonel logo).

ngineer
August 7th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hey, considering what colors you have to work with,(Lehigh people have this 'thing' about maroon and white ;)) the unis are pretty good. I would also agree on the "E"...Too generic. For those that don't follow closely, they may think you are Elon. The 'E' is not unique for EKU, whereas, only EKU can mean EKU. I would have gone for a new logo with the school's intials or perhaps with a decal of your mascot. I always felt the same about Michigan State putting a block 'S' on its helmets years ago. Made no sense to me. There are a lot of 'States' out there.

GeauxColonels
August 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I like the new unis. Especially the return the true EKU dark maroon color and the stipes on the pants. I don't like the E on the helmet. If we are going to use the "E", I think the old block E we used once last year looked better. I don't care for the rebranding done several years ago, incuding the new Colonel logo. There is something to be said about tradition and the EKU with the pride stripes was tradition!

That said, WINNING is most important. If we do that who will care what the helmet looks like. GO EKU!!

Have not seen the new turf yet, but hear it looks good (even with the Colonel logo).
Really? I LOVE that logo.

EKU05
August 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Really? I LOVE that logo.

I love it too. I'm not sure they could have possibly done a better job actually. I think a lot of people dislike it only because it broke tradition. EKU had never been known for being sleek or modern with it's branding, and a lot of people who have been fans for a long time weren't ready for the change. I get that, but I think it was time.

Buzzcut
August 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I love the rebranding. The old Colonel logo always reminded me of an overly friendly Colonel Sanders. The Colonels are about winning football games, not peddling chicken, and the school's logo should reflect that. Say what you want about tradition, it's time to get with the modern times.

Same goes with the new field turf - the natural grass looked good for about the first two home games and after that it went south fast. That game against Murray State last November in the rain/snow storm proved beyond a doubt the need for a new playing surface.