PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly installing new Daktronic Video Scoreboard

slostang
August 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- A new state-of-the-art videoboard and scoreboard for use in football and men’s and women’s soccer matches at Cal Poly's Alex G. Spanos Stadium is expected to be installed in time for the 2009 fall season.

Albert and Patty Moriarty have made a substantial naming gift of $600,000 for the project. Moriarty played football from 1953-56 for the Mustangs, primarily as a tackle and end, and also played basketball as a freshman. He was inducted into the Cal Poly Athletics Hall of Fame in 2002.

The videoboard, manufactured by Daktronics, measures almost 16 feet high by 28 feet wide and will be flanked by four sponsor displays. Cal Poly is seeking new sponsors for the four side panel displays. Also included will be the scoreboard below the videoboard and a pair of LED display boards to the left and right of the scoreboard.

Link to article on Gopoly.com: http://gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&id=0&article_id=73981

appfan2008
August 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM
congrats... looks great... they sure make the game better when the replays get up there...

Gringer1
August 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
On first glance, I thought it said "Mortuary Enterprises." I was thinking that was a little morbid and mood breaking xlolx It really does look good though.

89rabbit
August 5th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Looks good and you will enjoy it. I guess two things from Brookings, SD are coming to your stadium. xthumbsupx

ncbears
August 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Looks great!

UNC needs a new score board in a bad way.

ASU_Fanatic
August 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
That looks nice!

slostang
August 5th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Looks good and you will enjoy it. I guess two things from Brookings, SD are coming to your stadium. xthumbsupx

I hope more than two. I know the Jacks travel in big groups.

Dont drink to much wine at J. Lohr before the game or you might think we bought two Daktronic scoreboards.xsmiley_wix

slostang
August 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Looks great!

UNC needs a new score board in a bad way.

The one it is replacing was over 30 years old and they could no longer get parts for it so I know how you feel. One game last year (I think the Montana game) all that worked on it was the clock and scoring sections. The sections like down and distance, time outs left or ball on _ yard line were not working. I am sure that is when Mr Moriarty decided it was time to get a new one. We are very greatful that he did.

I am sure one is in the Bears near future.

slostang
August 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Article from today's Telegram Tribune (San Luis Obispo's local paper): http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/story/807254.html

Here are the dimensions (Just short of 53 feet wide by almost 37 feet high):

slostang
August 22nd, 2009, 12:51 AM
Still need to install the sponsor boards, but here it is:

techstate
August 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Very sick

coover
August 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Still need to install the sponsor boards, but here it is:

Will the fence/poles/posts be there when the season starts?

slostang
August 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Will the fence/poles/posts be there when the season starts?

That fence is the fence at the far end of the field that encloses the field. It is about 170 yards or more from the scoreboard. That is how big the scoreboard is.

BEAR
August 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Article from today's Telegram Tribune (San Luis Obispo's local paper): http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/story/807254.html

Here are the dimensions (Just short of 53 feet wide by almost 37 feet high):

I was trying to picture the size of the scoreboard so I used the UCA scoreboard as a reference point. The video portion of the UCA board is 30 x 17. I can't read the exact porportions of the Cal Poly video board but it looks like it's 15 by 27! NICE ! Very Nice! What a difference for the crowd a nice video board makes for the overall game experience!

RabidRabbit
August 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Dad & mom's Bridge party-mates thank you for the order! xlolxxlolxxbowxxbowx

Great to see a continuing legacy between two fine schools will continue for years. xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Hope that Cal Poly/SDSU will find more games to play beyond this season. Know that we're playing in men's BB as well as in football. What's the chances of getting wrestling also? xpeacex

slostang
August 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM
15'10" x 27'10" are the dimensions of the main video board. It also has two smaller video boards in the bottom corners that will be used for graphics and stats. Those are 9'x 12'.

Rabbit, I would love to see SDSU and Cal Poly face off on the mat. I think very highly of the Jacks and their fans and the more we play the better I like it.

techstate
August 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Went by today and it looks awesome.

Go...gate
August 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Colgate's Daktronics board seems to have worked out very well. Good luck with yours - it looks very good.

slostang
August 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks Go....gate. All the Daktronic boards I have seen look great including yours. Here a little better picture of the new board as it is being installed:

GoBlueHens83
August 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Looks wonderful! xthumbsupx

UNI Pike
August 24th, 2009, 11:44 PM

I don't see the Rainbow swingset - when is it arriving? xsmiley_wix