PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Thoughts on Patriot League Media Day

Lehigh Football Nation
August 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/08/patriot-league-media-day.html

You can read my full conference report at College Sporting News, which includes exclusive quotes from the executive director of the Patriot League. In addition to the report I filed there (and the upcoming blog exclusives with junior QB J.B. Clark, senior DT B.J. Benning, and coach Coen) , I wanted to share with you, dear Reader, my impressions of Patriot League media day.

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/08/05/csn-diary-scholarships-patriot-league-me?blog=5

Patriot League media day probably ought to have been dominated by talk about any number of subjects concerning the upcoming 2009 season: the intra-league parity, once again, of the top five (or six) teams in the conference; the very distinct possibility that Holy Cross quarterback Dom Randolph will shatter nearly every Patriot League passing record by the time he finishes his career as a Crusader; if Colgate quarterback Matt Sullivan can lead the Raiders to a second-straight Patriot League title; or Lafayette’s defense, led by linebacker Mark Leggerio, is rapidly becoming a fearsome, top-rated unit that is perennially one of the top defenses in all of FCS.

But it was Fordham’s table - and head coach Tom Masella - that was getting much more attention than in years past.

Fordham’s announcement in May that they were going to abandon a Patriot League restriction on football scholarships dominated nearly every conversation, whether the TV cameras were rolling or no. Once only talked about in hushed tones, everyone - coaches, players, and the media alike - were talking about the subject that will change the Patriot League football forever one way or another.

Fordham and football scholarships for the Patriot League dominated yesterday's Media Day, and I weigh in with my thoughts.

RichH2
August 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Good article. Too bad there weren't a few Presidents around. Could Bucknell go the way of gettysburg , an original member of the Middle Five back in the 60s , now DivIII.1 to FBS 1 to the CAA ,rest to PL

Go...gate
August 5th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Great work, LFN. An important piece of information are the schools you discussed:

Marist (most likely only if PL stayed need-based)
Northeastern (scholarship or, IMO, need-based)
Hofstra (scholarship only and would correct a mistake the PL made 15 years ago)
Monmouth (scholarship only)
Bryant (scholarship only)

ngineer
August 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Great work, LFN. An important piece of information are the schools you discussed:

Marist (most likely only if PL stayed need-based)
Northeastern (scholarship or, IMO, need-based)
Hofstra (scholarship only and would correct a mistake the PL made 15 years ago)
Monmouth (scholarship only)
Bryant (scholarship only)

Agreed on the artcle as well. IF, the PL goes to scholarships, then I see Hofstra making the switch. Natural geographic radius, existing rivalries with Fordham nearby, and Lafayette and Lehigh only 2 hour drives. Hofstra and Lehigh have really gone at in on the wrestling mats in recent years, and Hofstra's academic profile has grown significantly. IF, the PL punts and remains need-based, then FU will leave and Marist the likely replacement.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Agreed on the artcle as well. IF, the PL goes to scholarships, then I see Hofstra making the switch. Natural geographic radius, existing rivalries with Fordham nearby, and Lafayette and Lehigh only 2 hour drives. Hofstra and Lehigh have really gone at in on the wrestling mats in recent years, and Hofstra's academic profile has grown significantly. IF, the PL punts and remains need-based, then FU will leave and Marist the likely replacement.

Hoftra's a great school and would be a perfect fit for the league. I have always considered them the most logical choice.

TheValleyRaider
August 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Could we have both Hofstra and Northeastern, going for the always-logical 9 team league?

Good writeup, as always from our finely feathered Hawkineer friend xthumbsupx

Just one small complaint on the CSN article. Our QB's name is Greg Sullivan, but I'm sure you'll remember him soon enough ;) :D

Fordham
August 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Could we have both Hofstra and Northeastern, going for the always-logical 9 team league?

Just one small complaint on the CSN article. Our QB's name is Greg Sullivan, but I'm sure you'll remember him soon enough ;) :D

That would be great imo. Add another school in VA/DC/MD and you'd have a bit larger 10 team league but every school would have a natural geographic rival.

HC/Northeastern
Fordham/Hofstra
Lafayette/Lehigh
Colgate/Bucknell (the biggest stretch when it comes to geographic rivals)
Gtown/ ?

Those would be great season-ending games imo.

jimbo65
August 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM
That would be great imo. Add another school in VA/DC/MD and you'd have a bit larger 10 team league but every school would have a natural geographic rival.

HC/Northeastern
Fordham/Hofstra
Lafayette/Lehigh
Gtown/ / Fordham Prep

Those would be great season-ending games imo.
Just Kidding

Lehigh Football Nation
August 6th, 2009, 09:24 AM
HC/Northeastern
Fordham/Hofstra
Lafayette/Lehigh
Gtown/ VMI

Food for thought.

Go...gate
August 6th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Just as long as it isn't ED Sullivan. He's out of eligibility. :D

Go...gate
August 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Food for thought.

Damn straight.