PDA

View Full Version : AJC: Who will be the top Black College FB Team?

TexasTerror
August 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
So, who will be the team to win the "Black College National Championship"? Does the winner of Grambling v So Carolina State have the inside track?

What happens if Tennessee State goes undefeated against the SWAC this year and has a strong OVC campaign...? And will this be another one of those years when a sub-Div I team reigns supreme, possibly because there are no clear runaway teams in the MEAC and SWAC?

So, who do you think will be the best Black College football team of the 2009 season?

Grambling won the Black College national title last season and is the preseason pick to capture the SWAC championship. South Carolina State won the MEAC last season, had a strong showing in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) playoffs before losing and is the preseason pick to win the conference again.

Albany State is the preseason pick in the SIAC, earning the top spot in a slim margin over Tuskegee, with Fayetteville State earning the nod in the CIAA. Do you think one of those four preseason conference picks will emerge as the top team at the end of the year?

What about a team that didn’t earn its conference’s top position in the preseason such as Florida A&M in the MEAC, Tuskegee in the SIAC or Jackson State in the SWAC? Will one of those teams rise to the top?

http://blogs.ajc.com/hbcu-football-blog/2009/08/03/who-will-be-the-top-black-college-team-in-2009/

MsippiRattler
August 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
The title of 'National Black College Champions' is a worthless joke because the pollsters lump FCS, Div II, Div III, and NAIA together.

andy7171
August 3rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Dark Horse Cheney State!

WileECoyote06
August 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Until somebody proves otherwise, SC State.

whoanellie
August 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
it's 2009-2010 LSU? Florida, ? Penn State?

3rd Coast Tiger
August 4th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Here we go..... xsmhx

OhioHen
August 4th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Here we go..... xsmhx

Would there be an uproar if someone started a poll to crown the "White College Football Champion" as well? I submit that there would.

WileECoyote06
August 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Would there be an uproar if someone started a poll to crown the "White College Football Champion" as well? I submit that there would.

Well, here we go.

Klandbulldog
August 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Here we go again???.....its always been regarded as Black College National Champs because HBCU's were not allowed in the playoffs with ALL WHITE SCHOOLS...So HBCU's created their own thing to delcare a National champ. I guess you would complain about it being called HBCU's too....once again people of color were not allow at other schools (white schools)..so they created the own thing....... oh wait until events like what happen with Texas Western & Kentucky (Basketball) or USC & Alabama (Football)....then people of color were allowed. Know the history before you get upset.....

813Jag
August 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I say go for it. Change the name of all the polls, it would fit.

Bull Fan
August 4th, 2009, 09:06 AM
What is stopping the black schools from participating in the playoffs nowadays?

andy7171
August 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
The existance of HBCU's alone should be reason enough for a HBCU ranking. I don't think anyone is saying the end of year HBCU #1 team rivals the FBS or FCS champ.
WTF is the big deal? Does anyone complain about the Lambert Cup being fraudulent because of excluding anyone outside the Northeast?

xrolleyesxxnonono2x

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Nothing, The MEAC schools participate as well as TSU whenever we make it.

Bull Fan
August 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM
My beef is not having all I-AA teams eligible for the playoffs- be it the Ivy's or black schools not wanting to send their teams, etc. To me, the essence of I-AA is being able to play for your championship on the field. Counter-intuitive if you ask me.

Make it work.

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Know your history. White schools did have their championships and their majority schools still have them.

OhioHen
August 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Know your history. White schools did have their championships and their majority schools still have them.

I know the history. What I didn't know a couple years ago was provided to me on this forum by knowledgable individuals.

But it is HISTORY, not the present. Those "white majority schools" you reference do not have white majority football teams across the board. They are integrated and play for a championship. The "Black Football Champions" label was necessary in the past due to societal inequity. Continuing it today is self-imposed segregation.

89Hen
August 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM
My money is on Coppin State or UMES. xsmiley_wix

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 10:04 AM
My beef is not having all I-AA teams eligible for the playoffs- be it the Ivy's or black schools not wanting to send their teams, etc. To me, the essence of I-AA is being able to play for your championship on the field. Counter-intuitive if you ask me.

Make it work.

I think that has more to do with the classification of I-AA. It is odd to have partial scholarship schools mixed in with full scholarship schools. None of the schools make the classifications made by the NCAA.

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I know the history. What I didn't know a couple years ago was provided to me on this forum by knowledgable individuals.

But it is HISTORY, not the present. Those "white majority schools" you reference do not have white majority football teams across the board. They are integrated and play for a championship. The "Black Football Champions" label was necessary in the past due to societal inequity. Continuing it today is self-imposed segregation.

Those schools are mostly white institution and those institutions tend to serve their majority constituents. Rivalries have been formed over the years and no one has told the white majortiy schools to stop playing their rivals. They want us to break up and disperse, but they refuse to do the same.

Oh, you let us sign up to your school to play sports.
Where are the black AD's? Where are the black coaches? Where are the black Presidents? Where's the black faculty?

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Good joke 89hen

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Listen, I am going to take a step back here.
Now, the black college football thing is a fictious award voted on by sports writers. The NCAA doesn't recognize and HBCU followers are starting to believe it is useless. Many rivalries have an award or trophies given out after the game. (Side note. Do you get money or trophy for being black college champs??)

This should be considered no differently. It is teams with traditional rivalries who people decide and say okay this is the best team out of that group. it is individual and is private.

No one should be mad about that at all.
I htink some people get offended when you say "Black"

OhioHen
August 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Listen, I am going to take a step back here.
Now, the black college football thing is a fictious award voted on by sports writers.

Not unlike the BCS "championship." At least ALL the HBCU's begin with a legitimate chance to be selected as the top team.

Bull Fan
August 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM
black black black black black black black black black black black black black black black black black.

There, I said it. It actually puts the "BLACK" in "HBCU". And if a black man tells me that I'm white, well it is what it is.

To me it remains more out of tradition than for practical utility. If those schools want to continue on as they do, so be it. I'd like to see them participate in the tournament, but the scholarship thing gets in the way. It's I-AA's version of BCS and mid-major conferences, so I should adjust my view.

OhioHen
August 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Those schools are mostly white institution and those institutions tend to serve their majority constituents. Rivalries have been formed over the years and no one has told the white majortiy schools to stop playing their rivals. They want us to break up and disperse, but they refuse to do the same.

Oh, you let us sign up to your school to play sports.
Where are the black AD's? Where are the black coaches? Where are the black Presidents? Where's the black faculty?

University of Delaware Director of Athletics and Recreation Services, Bernard Muir. His previous position was at Georgetown University.
http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/news/images/muir-pressconference(72).jpg

3rd Coast Tiger
August 4th, 2009, 10:41 AM

I would actually help campaign for it in all honesty. Seriously.

TexasTerror
August 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I would actually help campaign for it in all honesty. Seriously.

If it includes a playoff system...it does make it somewhat enticing! xoopsx

OL FU
August 4th, 2009, 12:00 PM
black black black black black black black black black black black black black black black black black.

There, I said it. It actually puts the "BLACK" in "HBCU". And if a black man tells me that I'm white, well it is what it is.

To me it remains more out of tradition than for practical utility. If those schools want to continue on as they do, so be it. I'd like to see them participate in the tournament, but the scholarship thing gets in the way. It's I-AA's version of BCS and mid-major conferences, so I should adjust my view.

Many of the schools do participate in the playoffs.

But you got it right it is tradition. It is important to some fans. Nothing wrong with it.

Bull Fan
August 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM
My ignorance is showing through, but I thought most of the black schools don't participate.

andy7171
August 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
My ignorance is showing through, but I thought most of the black schools don't participate.
Two conferences in FCS, SWAC and MEAC and TSU as an independant(I think thats it) The MEAC does, the SWAC doesnt. The SWAC chooses to have a conference title game instead of sending a team to the playoff. WGAF?

The Sheridan Poll ranks ALL the HBCU. FCS, D.II and D.III. So maybe thats where you were thinking.
Which makes it even more comical because the mid to low level FCS teams would run circles around the lower division teams that are ranked over them. roTSU is correct in saying it's a ficticous title, so what gives?

This thread is just harrassing certain members. I could start a similar thread harrassing other AGS member and have it deleted and get strikes against me for doing so. Complete BS.

lizrdgizrd
August 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Can't we just bring back this thread from last year or the year before that.....

OL FU
August 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Can't we just bring back this thread from last year or the year before that.....

Lizzie, where ya beenxconfusedxxthumbsupx

UAalum72
August 4th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Two conferences in FCS, SWAC and MEAC and TSU as an independant(I think thats it)

Savannah State too, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roTSU50

Where are the black AD's?

Lee McElroy, University at Albany

andy7171
August 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM

WTF!?! lizgiz is alive! xeekx

lizrdgizrd
August 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Lizzie, where ya beenxconfusedxxthumbsupx

WTF!?! lizgiz is alive! xeekx

New internet policy at work + moving to a new house + 2 kids running around who are not school-age yet = me with no free time. :(

WileECoyote06
August 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Two conferences in FCS, SWAC and MEAC and TSU as an independant(I think thats it) The MEAC does, the SWAC doesnt. The SWAC chooses to have a conference title game instead of sending a team to the playoff. WGAF?

The Sheridan Poll ranks ALL the HBCU. FCS, D.II and D.III. So maybe thats where you were thinking.
Which makes it even more comical because the mid to low level FCS teams would run circles around the lower division teams that are ranked over them. roTSU is correct in saying it's a ficticous title, so what gives?

This thread is just harrassing certain members. I could start a similar thread harrassing other AGS member and have it deleted and get strikes against me for doing so. Complete BS.

That isn't entirely true. Most of the time when the division II teams are highly ranked; it's because they've played and beaten an FCS team.

Now I don't believe they should be ranked together, but if the reason the poll exists in the first place is 'history' then why change it now? We won the title in 2006, and I sure don't feel the need to lobby to give the trophy back to the Sheridan Broadcasting Network.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 4th, 2009, 01:36 PM

No way!!!!! xeekx

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM
No way!!!!! xeekx

I think this is a way wasted discussion. Also there are some NAIA schools that can be considered as well.

We do what we do for preservation of our legacy and honestly it is the most convienant way for us to make money.

The local public OVC schools in TN has a pact to win the Sgt. York Trophy (Tennessee Tech, Austin Peay, TSU, and UT Martin).

I didn't hear anyone complain about that trophy.

If you are not involved this doesn't affect you.

Thank the responders for the 2 black ADs. Their isn't that many out there.xthumbsupx

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 02:32 PM
That isn't entirely true. Most of the time when the division II teams are highly ranked; it's because they've played and beaten an FCS team.

Now I don't believe they should be ranked together, but if the reason the poll exists in the first place is 'history' then why change it now? We won the title in 2006, and I sure don't feel the need to lobby to give the trophy back to the Sheridan Broadcasting Network.

I just think it should be ammended. Our schedules are so diverse that it is hard to compare ourselves.

The process doesn't work right now. I think it very rarely selects the right team as champs.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I think this is a way wasted discussion. Also there are some NAIA schools that can be considered as well.

We do what we do for preservation of our legacy and honestly it is the most convienant way for us to make money.

The local public OVC schools in TN has a pact to win the Sgt. York Trophy (Tennessee Tech, Austin Peay, TSU, and UT Martin).

I didn't hear anyone complain about that trophy.

If you are not involved this doesn't affect you.

Thank the responders for the 2 black ADs. Their isn't that many out there.xthumbsupx

roTSU50, see it's like this.... this topic of discussion comes up at least two... maybe three times a year.

Next will be "Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton" comments and the good ole "Why is there a need for BET, Jet Magazine and Ms Black USA Pageant".

And I hope you get to read this post before it's deleted.

813Jag
August 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
roTSU50, see it's like this.... this topic of discussion comes up at least two... maybe three times a year.

Next will be "Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton" comments and the good ole "Why is there a need for BET, Jet Magazine and Ms Black USA Pageant".

your post won't get deleTed you didn't insulT any one.

mrklean
August 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Al and Jesse get blamed from the JFK assassination to Global Warming....................lol

3rd Coast Tiger
August 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM

I cerTainly hope you know whaT you're talking about? xlolx

JagHammer
August 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I cerTainly hope you know whaT you're talking about? xlolx

WhaT's really going on around here. I mean This is sad. xsmhx

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
WhaT's really going on around here. I mean This is sad. xsmhx

Somewhat new to the baord. I didn't realize some folks wanted to complain about us.

catbob
August 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
On a national scale, I care about the playoffs. If you don't participate in the playoffs, then I really don't care about your school or conference. It isn't meant as a slight, but the playoffs are what make this level of football special. The HBCU's can do whatever they want, but it is all about the playoffs baby.

I also don't follow the mid-major, non-scholarship going ons either. The big time conferences, and the teams that do well in those respected conferences. Yup. :)

andy7171
August 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM

tee-hee-hee xlolx

A level of fairness would be appreciated. I mean, if SOME AGS members are allowed to harrass other AGS members outside of the SMACK, others should be.

...just sayin'xrolleyesxxnonono2x

Bulldog87
August 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM
This is funny. The only way to make these discussions go away is for a HBCU to win the FCS title and be crowned Black College Champs the same year. Hopefully my Bulldogs will take care of that sometime soon.

Panther88
August 4th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Somewhat new to the baord. I didn't realize some folks wanted to complain about us.

It's embedded in some of their DNA. They can't help it, just like their great-grand-pappy and great-grand-mammy on back. :D

You had some great responses and actually got posters to post 2 WHOLE ADs out of over 300+ institutions. 2 funny.

Panther88
August 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
This is funny. The only way to make these discussions go away is for a HBCU to win the FCS title and be crowned Black College Champs the same year. Hopefully my Bulldogs will take care of that sometime soon.

Bulldog87, some of us don't require validation or verification from "others" or "outsiders." Feel me? xreadx

Let them gripe. It's their job. Get on it guys! xthumbsupx

JagHammer
August 4th, 2009, 10:11 PM

You good man.xlolx

Mr. Tiger
August 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM
This is pretty early for this thread. Season hasn't even started yet. xlolx

OhioHen
August 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM

Q: Did FAMU win the Sheridan Poll title in 1978 when they won the I-AA Championship?

A: Yes, they did. (And don't start with the "but there were only four teams in the playoffs so it doesn't count" argument - the Rattlers EARNED the championship on the field).

Q: Did that make this debate go away?

A: Obviously not.

WileECoyote06
August 5th, 2009, 07:03 AM
On a national scale, I care about the playoffs. If you don't participate in the playoffs, then I really don't care about your school or conference. It isn't meant as a slight, but the playoffs are what make this level of football special. The HBCU's can do whatever they want, but it is all about the playoffs baby.

I also don't follow the mid-major, non-scholarship going ons either. The big time conferences, and the teams that do well in those respected conferences. Yup. :)

Some BCS schools would echo a similar sentiment about FCS football. I would like to think that FCS fans embrace the uniqueness of our situations and support everyone.

WileECoyote06
August 5th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I just think it should be ammended. Our schedules are so diverse that it is hard to compare ourselves.

The process doesn't work right now. I think it very rarely selects the right team as champs.

It works itself out with the de facto requirement of a lower division team to have an undefeated regular season; and to defeat an FCS school.

813Jag
August 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM
It's a cycle, it'll die down, then somebody new will see an HBCU topic and the whole thing will repeat itself.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM
So, who will be the team to win the "Black College National Championship"? Does the winner of Grambling v So Carolina State have the inside track?

Yup.

MoBear
August 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
So what everyone is saying is that South Carolina State will be the best HBCU for the 09 season. That is unless FAMU are as good as advertised.

ASU_Fanatic
August 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
South Carolina State

GAD
August 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
It's a cycle, it'll die down, then somebody new will see an HBCU topic and the whole thing will repeat itself.
You know the routine

blackcaesar3k5
August 6th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Keep sharp eye on Tuskegee State and FAMU Rattlers on sharing black national title..

Big Dawg
August 6th, 2009, 05:05 AM

TSU is in the OVC

3rd Coast Tiger
August 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Keep sharp eye on Tuskegee State and FAMU Rattlers on sharing black national title..

Golden Lions you meant? xconfusedx

bosshogg
August 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM
as i have stated on this site many times.

SCSU, head football coach buddy pough, our players, and fans do not care about a HBCU title. Our coaches have said plainly and repeatedly that they play for real titles, not mythical ones. Our coaches want a 1-AA title. There was a time when a HBCU title was all we could play for. Times have changed, and so have our goals. We want to build the best 1-AA program period. Not the best black college program. if we build the best program we can, then by default we will be the best HBCU program.

GSUhooligan
August 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I think Yale will win the HBCU title this year.

WestCoastAggie
August 7th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Cal Poly???

3rd Coast Tiger
August 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM

SCSU, head football coach buddy pough, our players, and fans do not care about a HBCU title. Our coaches have said plainly and repeatedly that they play for real titles, not mythical ones. Our coaches want a NCAA Division I title. There was a time when a HBCU title was all we could play for. Times have changed, and so have our goals. We want to build the best NCAA Division I program period. Not the best black college program. if we build the best program we can, then by default we will be the best HBCU program.

Fixed it for you! xthumbsupx

Some people are sensitive around here 'bout that.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I think Yale will win the HBCU title this year.

Or Brigham Young or Notre Dame xsmiley_wix

crossfire07
August 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM

SCSU, head football coach buddy pough, our players, and fans do not care about a HBCU title. Our coaches have said plainly and repeatedly that they play for real titles, not mythical ones.

why schools continue to chase those "mythical titles" is beyond me. excellent post sir.

ASU_MBA
August 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM
SC State is the real deal...just ask any ASU fan

MasonJar
August 7th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Here we go again???.....its always been regarded as Black College National Champs because HBCU's were not allowed in the playoffs with ALL WHITE SCHOOLS...So HBCU's created their own thing to delcare a National champ. I guess you would complain about it being called HBCU's too....once again people of color were not allow at other schools (white schools)..so they created the own thing....... oh wait until events like what happen with Texas Western & Kentucky (Basketball) or USC & Alabama (Football)....then people of color were allowed. Know the history before you get upset.....

Not intending to be bashing or insensitive here... but we (all races in the US) didn't have playoffs until 1978, and didn't Florida A&M, an HBCU, win it for a real national championship that year? xnodxxnodx I think the D-II, D-III and NAIA programs may have started playoffs earlier and there was some exclusion back in the day, just not sure how far back... D-II and DIII playoffs started around '72... There was definately exclusion the further you go back.

If you are talking about ap/upi or BCS national championships, well, there are a lot of colleges/universities excluded from that one (HBCU or otherwise). xchinscratchx

As for my choice for Black College National Champs, I switch the words a little to come up with my choice for "college/university wearing black national champs" and I vote for ASU! xpeacex

Otherwise, I would say SC-State. xthumbsupx

blackcaesar3k5
August 8th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Grambling will beat SCSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panther88
August 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
My original 2 responses were deleted by the "powers" that be. It's your site, do as you may but I'm certainly stating truth and your simplicity doesn't allow you to see truth. ;)

It's hard for me to imagine that there are really very closed and insipid minds like you (admins who deleted my posts) actually matriculating freely in this country.

Just cannot expire fast enough for me, IMHO. xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx Tell reagan Panther88 sez "what's up?" when you get down there. lol xlolx

andy7171
August 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM
My original 2 responses were deleted by the "powers" that be. It's your site, do as you may but I'm certainly stating truth and your simplicity doesn't allow you to see truth. ;)

It's hard for me to imagine that there are really very closed and insipid minds like you (admins who deleted my posts) actually matriculating freely in this country.

Just cannot expire fast enough for me, IMHO. xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx Tell reagan Panther88 sez "what's up?" when you get down there. lol xlolx

You wouldn't be the only one who had posts deleted in this thread. xrolleyesx

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM
why schools continue to chase those "mythical titles" is beyond me. excellent post sir.

You do know the BCS is mythical also.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Grambling will beat SCSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I really dont think its going to be close.

Pitbull
August 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM

SCSU, head football coach buddy pough, our players, and fans do not care about a HBCU title. Our coaches have said plainly and repeatedly that they play for real titles, not mythical ones. Our coaches want a 1-AA title. There was a time when a HBCU title was all we could play for. Times have changed, and so have our goals. We want to build the best 1-AA program period. Not the best black college program. if we build the best program we can, then by default we will be the best HBCU program.
xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

OL FU
August 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM

I agree, SC State in by 17xthumbsupx

OL FU
August 8th, 2009, 12:55 PM
And I really dont think its going to be close.

I agree SC State by 17xthumbsupx

ASU_MBA
August 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
SC State would hold it's own in the SoCon...Ford is no joke and that D is better than people think against the run anyways...

crossfire07
August 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM
that is a totally different topic and has no common ground so don't even try to spin it.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
that is a totally different topic and has no common ground so don't even try to spin it.
The bcs is mytical. And who are you to tell HBCU fans what should and shouldnt be important to us.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I agree SC State by 17xthumbsupx

The other way around. I really see Gram running away with this thing. xthumbsupx

Pitbull
August 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM
The other way around. I really see Gram running away with this thing. xthumbsupx

Are you basing that on the fact that they spanked you all last season? xconfusedx

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 8th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Are you basing that on the fact that they spanked you all last season? xconfusedx

They beat SU, but it wasnt no spanking. If B.Lee wouldnt have gotten hurt, SU was going go win that game. Im basing it on coaching and other intagibles that I wont mention :) .

andy7171
August 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I guss I will throw my choice in the ring.... Grambling 20 SCSU 18

Other than that this thread is bogus.

WileECoyote06
August 9th, 2009, 08:24 AM

No really it isn't. The AP award and the BCS awards are awarded by votes and not settled on the field. So they both are mythical.

WileECoyote06
August 9th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Grambling vs SC State

(Am I over Broadway leaving NCCU to coach at Grambling yet? . . . .hmmm)

Nah, just kidding. I think SCSU's defense is far above anything the SWAC offers currently; and SCSU will win 30 - 21.

blackcaesar3k5
August 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Grambling State Defense is going shutdown the running game of South Carolina State... the bulldogs passing game isn't that lethal whatsoever..

Buddy Pough has knack for choking in big games like his mentor Willie Jefferies...

Broadway and Yoshida will have those players ready for Bulldogs...

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Yoshida will have those players ready for Bulldogs...
There it is, the reason Grambling will beat SCSU. He was the best DC ever @ SU. Still dont know why Pete never hired him back. xsmhx

OL FU
August 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM

I'll admit my South Carolina Homerism, but the only FCS loss last year for SC State was a very very good ASU compared to a loss to very mediocre NW St by Grambling. I will stick with SC State by 17:pxnodx

Of course that was last year but SC looks like they should be better this year than lastxnodx

Big Dawg
August 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
There it is, the reason Grambling will beat SCSU. He was the best DC ever @ SU. Still dont know why Pete never hired him back. xsmhx

Man SCSU is a BEAST. I know GSU is talented but I think SCSU will win this one. I just hope it's a good and very physical game.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I'll admit my South Carolina Homerism, but the only FCS loss last year for SC State was a very very good ASU compared to a loss to very mediocre NW St by Grambling. I will stick with SC State by 17:pxnodx

Of course that was last year but SC looks like they should be better this year than lastxnodx

That was before Gram found their QB. At the time, Gram was starting another QB. Trust Gram will not lose this game.

Klandbulldog
August 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Grambling State Defense is going shutdown the running game of South Carolina State... the bulldogs passing game isn't that lethal whatsoever..

Buddy Pough has knack for choking in big games like his mentor Willie Jefferies...

Broadway and Yoshida will have those players ready for Bulldogs...

Funny statement...last year SCSU total offense gained more yards on the ground and in the air than Grambling...they did that playing a more difficult schedule. And yes we have all of our weapons back. Is Grambling defense up for the challenge??? I think they lost some key guys off the defense....

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Man SCSU is a BEAST. I know GSU is talented but I think SCSU will win this one. I just hope it's a good and very physical game.

SCSU will not be able to run on Gram and their passing game is below average to me.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 9th, 2009, 04:23 PM
...they did that playing a more difficult schedule. ..
According to who. xconfusedx

coover
August 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Just wondering ... who is going to win the Asian College Football Championship? The Hispanic College Football Championship? The American Indian College Football Championship?

Finally, who is going to win the Racist College Football Championship?

GATA
August 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Well..considering most colleges are historically white...I'd say that the BCS championship and the NCAA division I championship are pretty much the "white college football champions"...

Anybody who gets mad about HBCUs having their own "national championship" needs to calm the **** down. It's no different than having an Ivy League championship or a SOCON championship. There is nothing wrong with the tradition of crowning a "black college football champion"...white people created the need for this title...and now white people are the only ones who are upset about it still being around...it's harmless.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I kept this quote from the fifty-first time I noticed this topic come up back in Sept. 2006

A very condensed and sloppy bit of history:

1. White man enslaves black man and brings him to America.
2. White man frees slaves, but excludes black man from practically everything.
2a. Black man, being excluded, forms own social leagues and societies.
3. 100+ years later, black man has fought for equality, and makes great strides.
4. White idiots immediately demand deconstruction of more than a century of black heritage, because they say so and think it's best.

ALL men agree that it will be a great time in history, probably unnoticed because it will take many, many decades, if not centuries, when color, race, sex, etc. just doesn't matter.

But still, white man wants it on his schedule, he has deemed it so.

GAD
August 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Yoshida was the best we had, but Vite wasn't bad either
Graves well i'll just leave that alone

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Yoshida was the best we had, but Vite wasn't bad either
Graves well i'll just leave that alone

I would take Vite back in a heart beat. Vite just couldnt beat Famu.

Big Dawg
August 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM
SCSU will not be able to run on Gram and their passing game is below average to me.

Did you really just say that SCSU won't be able to run on Gram??? You must not know about Will Ford.

bosshogg
August 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
http://thetandd.com/bulldogzone/

more info on those Dogs!

Jaguar79
August 10th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Why people allow the NCAA to pillage their playoff system and play hands-off with the big boys is way beyond me .... xwhistlex

3rd Coast Tiger
August 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Why people allow the NCAA to pillage their playoff system and play hands-off with the big boys is way beyond me .... xwhistlex

xnonox

Play fair Jaguar79, we've got to play by their rules on AGS so we've got to strictly promote the FCS playoffs as the end all be all and degrade FBS and other "mythical" national championship accolades. SHAME ON YOU!!!

blackcaesar3k5
August 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM
SUjag: Pete needs bring Karl Morgan and promoted him to Defensive Coordinator and bring back Fast break offense that Southern so scary back in ninties!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: who was Southern Jagaurs Defensive Coordinator back in 03, when the Jags won Sbn national title???

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM
SUjag: Pete needs bring Karl Morgan and promoted him to Defensive Coordinator and bring back Fast break offense that Southern so scary back in ninties!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: who was Southern Jagaurs Defensive Coordinator back in 03, when the Jags won Sbn national title???
SU's defense SUcked in 03 against the run. SU scored so many points teams couldnt run on us. I think we scored on the opening drive in every game that season.

SU Jag
August 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Just wondering ... who is going to win the Asian College Football Championship? The Hispanic College Football Championship? The American Indian College Football Championship?

Finally, who is going to win the Racist College Football Championship?

As soon as you can name any Historically Hispanic Schools and ect. that play football I guess!xcoffeex

Bigmoneymike
August 30th, 2009, 03:03 PM
As soon as you can name any Historically Hispanic Schools and ect. that play football I guess!xcoffeex

xlolx

Some people are so ridiculous when it comes to this topic. The people that get mad or it bothers need to look in the mirror.

Big Al
August 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Not this white guy. I think HBCU football and it's unique traditions are, on the whole, a good thing. I still would like to see the HBCUs that don't participate in the playoffs do so, however. I'm sure there is a way the Turkey Day Classic and the SWAC championship could be changed to somehow allow for teams to get into the playoffs, as well. I think it would be a win-win for the SWAC and the FCS.

Anybody who gets mad about HBCUs having their own "national championship" needs to calm the **** down. It's no different than having an Ivy League championship or a SOCON championship. There is nothing wrong with the tradition of crowning a "black college football champion"...white people created the need for this title...and now white people are the only ones who are upset about it still being around...it's harmless.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 31st, 2009, 04:41 PM
It might be easier to move Thanksgiving than the Bayou Classic

xlolx

crossfire07
September 1st, 2009, 09:49 PM
If the SWAC was to ever get a school that could compete outside of their league and had a chance to make runs in the playoffs, they would move that game.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM
If the SWAC was to ever get a school that could compete outside of their league and had a chance to make runs in the playoffs, they would move that game.

The SWAC has always had teams to compete outside of the conference. The BAYOU CLASSIC will never ever move. When both schools make 3 plus million damn a playoffs.

Mr. Tiger
September 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM

Wrong. The Bayou Classic will remain at its current date. The decision has NOTHING to do with competition. The school presidents don't see a financial reason to move a game that draws 60,000 and is televised on NBC or eliminate a championship game that draws around 40,000 and is televised by ESPN Classic in favor of a chance to make very little money (if any) in a playoff game. The SWAC Championship revenue is also shared among all SWAC schools. I would LOVE to see the SWAC return to the playoff system but I can't make an economic case for it and until someone can, then I really can't see the school presidents changing their mind. I hope one day the FCS playoff system will offer REAL payout money, then I believe the SWAC would be interest, but until then...xwhistlex

kirkblitz
September 1st, 2009, 10:42 PM

What happens if Tennessee State goes undefeated against the SWAC this year and has a strong OVC campaign...? And will this be another one of those years when a sub-Div I team reigns supreme, possibly because there are no clear runaway teams in the MEAC and SWAC?

http://blogs.ajc.com/hbcu-football-blog/2009/08/03/who-will-be-the-top-black-college-team-in-2009/

this what i have to think about black teams and uni's

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/killergluestick/thats_racist.gif
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/PerfectElement2k/racist.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/robert817/cats/racist.gif
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/WiiMaster705/thisisracist.gif
but if i have to pick one, go sc state xpeacex

3rd Coast Tiger
September 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
I would LOVE to see the SWAC return to the playoff system but I can't make an economic case for it and until someone can, then I really can't see the school presidents changing their mind. I hope one day the FCS playoff system will offer REAL payout money, then I believe the SWAC would be interest, but until then...xwhistlex

Especially in these economic times, Southern, Grambling and Alabama State are not going to give up a guaranteed lucrative payday for what's currently proposed with the NCAA playoff formula.

Even Division II Tuskegee who plays Alabama State in the Turkey Day Classic, they could go to the playoffs and possibly do quite well but you won't see them give up the money to assist with keeping the athletic department operating to go to the NCAA Div. II playoffs.

813Jag
September 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
this what i have to think about black teams and uni's

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s28/killergluestick/thats_racist.gif
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/PerfectElement2k/racist.gif

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/robert817/cats/racist.gif
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb125/WiiMaster705/thisisracist.gif
but if i have to pick one, go sc state xpeacex
What has a black Uniform ever done to you? xconfusedx
http://www.noticias0.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/steelers.jpg

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/fortyniners/2006/12/04/sp_niners105350x351.jpg

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxreadx

appmaj
September 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
SC State

kirkblitz
September 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
What has a black Uniform ever done to you?

unis= university's in that context

but i will say the steelers are evil xsmhx

813Jag
September 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
unis= university's in that context

but i will say the steelers are evil xsmhx
I know, just being a smartass. I hate the Steelers.

SIUallDay
September 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
The SWAC has always had teams to compete outside of the conference. The BAYOU CLASSIC will never ever move. When both schools make 3 plus million damn a playoffs.

lol @ the thought of the SWAC beating anyone in the FCS Playoffs.....

crossfire07
September 3rd, 2009, 07:56 AM

like who? what playoff FCS team has lost to a SWAC team in the last 5 years? In your eyes it might have to do with money but as one SWAC coach said, we have been to the playoffs 18 times and lost 18 times, whats the point. It has more to do with the SWAC having teams that can't compete more than it is about money.There is not a coach alive that would pick a win over A Southern or Grambling over a national championship.

SoCon48
September 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Don't know if they have a chance, but I always like to see Grambling do well. Good coach there, now. Too, Grambling has such a great history.

DSUrocks07
September 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
What has a black Uniform ever done to you? xconfusedx

I hate black pepper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip_gVSl46xI)! xlolx