PDA

View Full Version : Just noticed this...

AppGuy04
December 7th, 2005, 09:12 PM
The I-AA Championship game is on a Friday night, while the Division III game is Saturday at 1pm on ESPN2

WTF is up with that???? DIII getting a better slot than us???

PantherMan
December 7th, 2005, 09:37 PM
The I-AA Championship game is on a Friday night, while the Division III game is Saturday at 1pm on ESPN2

Nope. We got the better slot. Primetime on a Friday evening is better than Saturday early afternoon. Just because a game is on Saturday doesn't guarantee it a better timeslot. Would I have potentially (assuming UNI makes it) liked an extra travel day? Heck yeah! But primetime is pretty valuable IMO. xprost2x :beerchug:

blackfordpu
December 7th, 2005, 09:37 PM

It was like that last season as well.

AppGuy04
December 7th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Nope. We got the better slot. Primetime on a Friday evening is better than Saturday early afternoon. Just because a game is on Saturday doesn't guarantee it a better timeslot. Would I have potentially (assuming UNI makes it) liked an extra travel day? Heck yeah! But primetime is pretty valuable IMO. xprost2x :beerchug:

I don't know, i guess I disagree, Saturday afternoon college football has always been a tradition for me

GSUBass
December 7th, 2005, 10:18 PM
it's been like that for a while now.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 7th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I think most people associate Friday Night Football with highschool, which doesn't help 1-AA look any better imo.

PantherMan
December 7th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I don't know, i guess I disagree, Saturday afternoon college football has always been a tradition for me

Oh I completely agree with your point there, I follow the same tradition. I guess I just like the timeslot and playing under the lights. I can definitely see your point though.

Retro
December 7th, 2005, 10:49 PM
I think most people associate Friday Night Football with highschool, which doesn't help 1-AA look any better imo.

Yes, but by the end of November, HS football is pretty much over except for the final playoff games which only matter to the areas involved.

In December, Saturday afternoon is not a good time to get a TV audience with so many people out shopping.

In addition, if the game were on saturday, like the DIV III game, it competes with the NFL which starts saturday aftn games now.. That saturday, Tampa plays New England and both are in the playoff hunt.

The only thing better than a friday night game is a Saturday night game, but even thats not good this year because of another NFL game..

It may not matter to some people that the game is on at the same time with an NFL game, but if I-AA wants publicity, then the game needs to be free of TV competition of other football games.

Plus, i think the game will look better at night especially with a better field now in place.

igo4uni
December 7th, 2005, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=Retro] it competes with the NFL which starts saturday aftn games now..[QUOTE]

What is nfl??

If it's not I-AA I'm not interested. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

December 8th, 2005, 01:44 AM
[QUOTE=Retro] it competes with the NFL which starts saturday aftn games now..[QUOTE]

What is nfl??

If it's not I-AA I'm not interested. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:Wow! I love the way you think igo4uni!!!! :hyped: :hurray: :hurray: :rotateh: :rotateh: :xmas: :xmas: :beerchug: xprost2x xsmoochx :D :D :nod: :) :)

SoCon48
December 8th, 2005, 02:18 AM

TOTALLY agree!!!

JohnStOnge
December 8th, 2005, 05:23 AM
If you're going to have a I-AA telecast and you have to choose between high school football on Friday night or NFL football on television as competiion you'll choose Friday night if you're wise.

Tribe4SF
December 8th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Most high school football is done by next week. Virginia state championships are all this Saturday, and I think most states have their championships on Saturday.

Friday night primetime is a huge plus for I-AA. Our audience will be way bigger than the Div III game. It will be the only football on TV that night. I'd also wager that the Friday night semi will have higher ratings than the Saturday semi.

AppGuy04
December 8th, 2005, 07:43 AM

yep, Saturday is college football, and Sunday is that "other league" right Ralph?

I guess its about perception, we are the highest level of playoff football and we get bumped to Friday night, and btw, i don't care if its "primetime" or not, how many people are actually home on a Friday night? not really primetime in my eyes

ASUalumni05
December 8th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Sat. afternoon is the better time slot. For example, for the semi finals the sat. game was reserved for the higher seeded team left. If New Hampshire would have won it would have been them playing on sat. and App playing on Fri night. Instead New Hampshire had to screw up the whole Furman vs App on a Friday night in Boone. Man that would've been crazy. It's still going to be a wild game though. Go Apps!

AppGuy04
December 8th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Sat. afternoon is the better time slot. For example, for the semi finals the sat. game was reserved for the higher seeded team left. If New Hampshire would have won it would have been them playing on sat. and App playing on Fri night. Instead New Hampshire had to screw up the whole Furman vs App on a Friday night in Boone. Man that would've been crazy. It's still going to be a wild game though. Go Apps!

a Friday game in Boone would prevent alot of alumni from coming, and think that goes for any school for that matter, travel is hard for a Friday night game if people don't live close

ASUalumni05
December 8th, 2005, 07:55 AM
I'm not really worried about everyone else! I live 2 hrs and can get off work a little early on friday so i would have been in great shape! j/k. I just remember so well when our home opener was a sat. night game. I believe it was always against liberty. Man those were fun at KB.

LacesOut
December 8th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Night football is high schoolish. And even pee wee footballish.

Put the game on a Saturday damnit! Oh an NFL game is on?? So what? That's why they invented the remote control! So you can flip channels while your fat butt is in the EZ chair. People do this every single weekend, when multiple sporting events are televised. At at sports bar are ya?? Well guess what, that's why the bar has multiple freaking TV's, so multiple sporting events can be watched simultaneously.

I mean, how many non I-AA football fans are actually watching this game, on a Friday night at 8 pm??? JMO

bandl
December 8th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Strictly from a fan attendance standpoint...I think that a Saturday game is better. Last year when JMU went to Chatty, I knew plenty of folk who said they really wanted to go and were willing to do the 9 hour drive, but they couldn't take off work (too close to the holidays, gotta save up vacation time to visit the family, new year's eve plans taking up vacation days, etc.). If the game had been on Saturday...sure, they could have driven down there friday night or ass-early saturday morning.

From a nationwide audience...there aren't any worthwhile I-A games that time of year (don't anyone dare say that the Fruit Loop Bowl or Good Housekeeping Magazine Bowl is worthwhile), so people may be more inclined to tune in to a 'championship' game, no matter what the level, on a saturday afternoon.

GtFllsGriz
December 8th, 2005, 10:51 AM
AGS has ruined me forever!!!! I used to watch the NFL on Sunday but now I get all my football fix on Saturday watching I-AA. I purchased the ESPN package for one day just so I could see all the quarter final games last week. Watched football all day and loved it!!! I would not have done that were it not for AGS and the interest it generates in all the teams.

The NFL is a waste of time after watching kids work their butts off in a real championship playoff system.

I can't wait to watch the championship game!!!

Retro
December 8th, 2005, 09:29 PM
You guys are brain dead!

Mcneese went to the national championship game in 1997 and 2002.. The 97 game was saturday afternoon 8,000+ mcneese fans.. The 2002 game was friday night 8,000+ fans... People who want to go with find a way to go.. With the exception of maybe a 100 people or so, the true fans will make arrangements..

As far as TV, There are no more people home watching football on saturday afternoon than friday night, except for the 16- 28 yr olds out partying all night and they won't get up in time to watch saturday anyway! :rolleyes:

Whoever said night games are high schoolish is also clueless.. Many Southern teams play all their games at night and draw much better than most teams that play 11:00 am saturday games..

If i were as objective as some of you in my business, i'd been out of business long ago. :boring:

ASU Kep
December 8th, 2005, 10:14 PM
AGS has ruined me forever!!!! I used to watch the NFL on Sunday but now I get all my football fix on Saturday watching I-AA. I purchased the ESPN package for one day just so I could see all the quarter final games last week. Watched football all day and loved it!!! I would not have done that were it not for AGS and the interest it generates in all the teams.

The NFL is a waste of time after watching kids work their butts off in a real championship playoff system.

I can't wait to watch the championship game!!!

I know where your coming from. Sunday used to be my big football day as I was a rabid Falcons fan. I-AA football has completely replaced that, and now I find myself a few weeks even forgetting that the Falcons are on. They need to space em out a little more to give me a chance to recover. :beerchug:

Tod
December 8th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I know where your coming from. Sunday used to be my big football day as I was a rabid Falcons fan. I-AA football has completely replaced that, and now I find myself a few weeks even forgetting that the Falcons are on. They need to space em out a little more to give me a chance to recover. :beerchug:

Same with me and the Vikings. Nice to see I'm not the only one that "sold out". ;) ;) ;)

It is nice to see the Vikes doing well lately, but I've been a fan for 30 years and it's just getting old now. I still have my Vikings tattoo and will always be a Vikes fan (until Montana get an NFL team :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ), but I enjoy I-AA football so much more.

SoCon48
December 9th, 2005, 07:23 AM
You guys are brain dead!

Mcneese went to the national championship game in 1997 and 2002.. The 97 game was saturday afternoon 8,000+ mcneese fans.. The 2002 game was friday night 8,000+ fans... People who want to go with find a way to go.. With the exception of maybe a 100 people or so, the true fans will make arrangements..

As far as TV, There are no more people home watching football on saturday afternoon than friday night, except for the 16- 28 yr olds out partying all night and they won't get up in time to watch saturday anyway! :rolleyes:

Whoever said night games are high schoolish is also clueless.. Many Southern teams play all their games at night and draw much better than most teams that play 11:00 am saturday games..

If i were as objective as some of you in my business, i'd been out of business long ago. :boring:

11:00 Saturday games? Very rare on the east coast.
Friday college football.....even more rare.
Night games in the south? Sure early in the season..but NEVER Friday night college games.
Friday nights become huge HIGH SCHOOL basketball nights as soon as high school football ends.
Friday night is high school. Plain and simple. Saturdays are college.

Objective? Sure, I guess some would watch or attend even on Tuesday night or Thursday morning, but that's beside the point.
Friday night or late afternoon play-offs are just piss poor marketing. Plain and simple. It's a case of being "relegated" Not marketed. Anything else is just rationalization.

It's just high school plain and simple.

LacesOut
December 9th, 2005, 07:30 AM
11:00 Saturday games? Very rare on the east coast.
Friday college football.....even more rare.
Night games in the south? Sure early in the season..but NEVER Friday night college games.
Friday nights become huge HIGH SCHOOL basketball nights as soon as high school football ends.

Objective? Sure, I guess some would watch or attend even on Tuesday night or Thursday morning, but that's beside the point.
Friday night or late afternoon play-offs are just piss poor marketing. Plain and simple. It's a case of being "relegated" Not marketed. Anything else is just rationalization.

It's just high school plain and simple.

This post rocks. It says everything I am too stupid to say.

SoCon48
December 9th, 2005, 07:41 AM
You guys are brain dead!

Let's see. McNeese played Westen KENTUCKY in the 2002 championship game in Chattanooga, TENNESSEE and had 8,000 plus of the 12,000 fans?

Yeah, sure.

SoCon48
December 9th, 2005, 07:47 AM
This post rocks. It says everything I am too stupid to say.

Naah. It's just that I'm not hesitant to raise the ire of some posters.

And the idea that "there are as many home watching football on TV Friday nights" as many as Saturday afternoons is mind boggling.
College football???

AppFootballAlum
December 9th, 2005, 07:51 AM
...I still have my Vikings tattoo and will always be a Vikes fan (until Montana get an NFL team :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ), but I enjoy I-AA football so much more.

It's not like you have much of a choice on that Vikings Tattoo thing? :D JK - Same goes for me with I-AA :beerchug:

Retro
December 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Let's see. McNeese played Westen KENTUCKY in the 2002 championship game in Chattanooga, TENNESSEE and had 8,000 plus of the 12,000 fans?

Yes, ask other Mcneese fans or WKU fans yourself.. I many be off by a few hundred either way but Mcneese had nearly double that of WKU even though they are closer. FACT!

Retro
December 9th, 2005, 09:03 PM

OK, Go back and read my post.. I'm not promoting or saying FRIDAY nights are better for regular season or post season games outside of maybe the Championship game and This semi-final game.

This time of year, friday night is the best time for tv exposure (semi's and champ game only) and High School basketball is not that big anywhere in the south until maybe playoff time.. I've lived in alabama, texas and louisiana and it doesn't hold a candle to college football if there is option for people with interest.