PDA

View Full Version : Taking the risk at Finley (T-FP)

chattanoogamocs
May 2nd, 2005, 02:09 AM
From the frontpage of the Monday morning Times-Free Press...

http://www.mocfans.com/images/TFPtakingrisk.jpg

‘Promotion and commotion’ to bring Southside stadium alive
By Bob Gary Jr. Staff Writer

Frank Burke hasn’t taken over operation of Max Finley Stadium yet, but that hasn’t kept him from scribbling a to-do list.
"I’ve got to get a big ladder and climb up on the goal posts," he said. "I want to see if we can shoot fireworks out of the tops of the posts.
"If we can’t, I’m sure we can from the top of the scoreboard," he said.
The Stadium Corp. voted March 30 to give Mr. Burke, the Bell-South Park and Chattanooga Lookouts owner, a contract to manage the Southside stadium, which lost nearly $1.2 million during the last four fiscal years.
Stadium Corp. Chairman Ryan Crimmins said lawyers for his board and Mr. Burke are doing detail work on the contract, which should be final by summer.
In his presentation to the Stadium Corp., Mr. Burke said he would assume 100 percent of the financial risk. He proposed splitting profits equally, if and when profits are realized, and he pledged never to ask the Chattanooga or Hamilton County governments for extra money. Extra money from the county was once a way of life at the $28.5 million stadium, where an overflow crowd of more than 22,000 watched the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga’s football team christen with a win over Tennessee State in October 1997. But UTC’s football program struggled, and so have the stadium’s finances. Hamilton County’s government chipped in with an extra $1.35 million in hotel/motel tax money from 1999 to 2003, but County Mayor Claude Ramsey said in September 2003 that he would recommend no further funding of that type for the stadium.

(full article can be read at Mocfans.com)
http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=1893.topic

polsongrizz
May 2nd, 2005, 09:07 AM
They can spend all the money they want, that will not get the locals to the game. And unless it is two teams in close proximity attendance will never be great. Unless of course the Griz are playing ;)

igo4uni
May 2nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
How much money goes to installing grass that doesn't rip up?

peace

igo4uni

Kill'em
May 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Reports are that Finley Stadium will have field turf next season :nod:

polsongrizz
May 2nd, 2005, 09:57 PM
Still sour about that Griz loss I see...
:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: xcoffeex

Accept it. Chatty will be green and spotless for the next Champ game. On top of that is the new stadium manager... a successful event man. I think we will see an even more spectacular show this year. And besides the bad turf, 2004 was a fantastic game and event.
Doesn't change a thing, the majority of the town still has no clue that there is even a game being played. Hence the "what is that baseball" reply you recieved at breakfast. truth hurts Ralphie my boy :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :( :( :mad: :mad: ;)

Grizo406
May 3rd, 2005, 12:04 AM
Seeing as how I'm closer to pols than you are, geographically speaking, ralph...want me to rough him up for you a little bit?

Say the word, bro, and I'll be on it like wet on water, white on rice, something...I can't remember what, on a June Bug. :p

I won't hurt him too bad, because the pols and I plan on making a fairly large fashion statement at the first Griz home game. :nod: :nod: :nod: I can't and won't say anymore about it because we are still in the early planning stages of it, but rest assured there will be pictures, and it will be talked about for sometime...that is, of course, unless pols forgot about it already. :cool: :rolleyes:

At the risk of future attacks with the following statement...my lips are sealed. :D

Grizo406
May 3rd, 2005, 12:49 AM
Give him a little perspective Grizo. As I remember, the crowd at Chatty was pretty loud with DOOOOOOOOK DAAAAWWWWGGGGG in the fourth quarter. I was impressed that JMU had brought the posse for the game and how vocal they were. Overall I was pretty puffy-chested for I-AA that day because of both side's representation and the quality of the game... despite the NCAA turf decision.

The Griz made the finals and the fans showed up. Ask Delaware fans in 2003 and McNeese State fans in 2002 how they represented ... FANtastic!

Consider it done.

I have no idea why I didn't go, but for whatever the reason, it was the wrong one. Maybe some deep seated fear of having to share a hotel room with "you know who".

It was a very good year for I-AA, and I remember thinking, after we beat Montana State, anything after that is nothing but thick gravy for me.

Lets hope next season will be as exciting as the last one. :nod:

polsongrizz
May 3rd, 2005, 01:06 AM
Heeheehee... WORD

Give him a little perspective Grizo. As I remember, the crowd at Chatty was pretty loud with DOOOOOOOOK DAAAAWWWWGGGGG in the fourth quarter. I was impressed that JMU had brought the posse for the game and how vocal they were.

The Griz made the finals and the fans showed up.
**** they should have been they only had to drive a few hours to get there. ;) :rolleyes: :D

igo4uni
May 3rd, 2005, 08:48 AM
Accept it. Chatty will be green and spotless for the next Champ game. On top of that is the new stadium manager... a successful event man. I think we will see an even more spectacular show this year. And besides the bad turf, 2004 was a fantastic game and event.

Ralph, does this mean that the game will be held in Las Vegas next year?? :D :D

peace

igo4uni

Kill'em
May 3rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
If that's so, then I won't be able to go, which stinks because THE Championship game is getting moved to ESPN-U so I wouldn't even be able to watch it. ESPN-U isn't offered on my satelllite.

Hansel
May 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
If that's so, then I won't be able to go, which stinks because THE Championship game is getting moved to ESPN-U so I wouldn't even be able to watch it. ESPN-U isn't offered on my satelllite.

Where did you hear this :confused:

Kill'em
May 3rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
I read it in the newspaper.

Retro
May 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
It's not being moved to ESPNU! There as not been any definite indication the the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME itself was being moved onto ESPNU... Here's what was released a while back........

Associated Press

BRISTOL, Conn. -- ESPN and the NCAA agreed Tuesday on an eight-year contract to broadcast several NCAA championships on the new college sports station, ESPNU.

The new network will broadcast portions of at least nine Division I championship tournaments: women's basketball, softball, baseball, men's lacrosse, men's ice hockey, men's and women's volleyball, Division I-AA football, and wrestling, and Division II women's basketball.

Hansel
May 3rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks Retro- that's what I remembered as well

MR. CHICKEN
May 4th, 2005, 09:08 AM
They can spend all the money they want, that will not get the locals to the game. And unless it is two teams in close proximity attendance will never be great. Unless of course the Griz are playing ;)

PLAYIN' [email protected]/not.scared.o'.bares!

polsongrizz
May 4th, 2005, 10:14 AM
PLAYIN' [email protected]/not.scared.o'.bares!
If'n you boys come to the parade I will buy you some chicken feed boy... ;)

Kill'em
May 4th, 2005, 02:57 PM
It's not being moved to ESPNU! There as not been any definite indication the the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME itself was being moved onto ESPNU... Here's what was released a while back........

Associated Press

BRISTOL, Conn. -- ESPN and the NCAA agreed Tuesday on an eight-year contract to broadcast several NCAA championships on the new college sports station, ESPNU.

The new network will broadcast portions of at least nine Division I championship tournaments: women's basketball, softball, baseball, men's lacrosse, men's ice hockey, men's and women's volleyball, Division I-AA football, and wrestling, and Division II women's basketball.
This is one time I'm glad to be wrong :doh: