PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Forecast - Elon

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 31st, 2009, 10:54 AM
The Good - Minimal rebuilding required on both sides of the ball. Riddle is back. Hudgins is back. The defense may be as good as it has been since Elon joined the SoCon. Elon has two OOC games that are fairly safe bets for wins, which is more than you can say for most SoCon teams this year.

The Bad - Elon will have their third OC in 3 years. Will inconsistency continue to be a problem? Road SoCon schedule could be tough with games versus Wofford, Furman, Samford, and a possible trap game against Western Carolina.

The Verdict - They have a shot at the playoffs if they don't crumble at the end of the season with games against Wofford, App. State, Samford, and Western.

OOC game predictions

Davidson - Elon takes on their frustrations on Davidson, who will be even more discouraged from joining the SoCon in football. Elon wins 38-3.

Presbyterian - PC takes their second SoCon spanking and Elon wins 30-6.

Wake Forest - Elon will make a decent game of it, but will be overpowered 28-17.

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Big year for Elon. A lot is expected of them in 2009. I think anything less than a playoff appearance has to be a major dissapointment. For the past two years the Phoneix have been on the cusp of locking up a playoff spot with a win and couldn't close the deal. Can't waste too many years of Riddle and Hudgins, they won't be there forever.

phoenixphanatic21
July 31st, 2009, 11:44 AM
Big year for Elon. A lot is expected of them in 2009. I think anything less than a playoff appearance has to be a major dissapointment. For the past two years the Phoneix have been on the cusp of locking up a playoff spot with a win and couldn't close the deal. Can't waste too many years of Riddle and Hudgins, they won't be there forever.

As in this will be the last year they are together. I've noticed, every x number of years, a school will get all the ingridients together to form what could become a great season for them, like Utah this past year and a few years before that when they beat Pittsburgh in one of the BCS bowls, or Hawaii when they got to the Sugar Bowl. This is that year for us. Coach Lembo's first recruiting class is now all seniors and for the first time under Lembo, we have a good amount of upperclassmen on the roster.

Our offense will be as good as always. Riddle just needs to cut back on the interceptions. With the balance with have with our great stable of RBs (Brandon Newsome, AJ Harris, Jamal Shuman and Dontay Taylor) and some good promising WRs (Lance Camp and Sean Jeffcoat have done well already, and redshirt freshman Aaron Mellette had a hell of a spring game), not to mention what I assume is one of the most experienced OLs in the Socon, I expect the offense to put up some good numbers, even with the third offensive coordinator in 3 years.

What I was really impressed with was our defense last year. We went from 7th in the SoCon and 90-something overall the year before to 2nd in the SoCon and I wanna say like 30-something overall (but don't quote me on that) this past year. We have very good young linebackers in Joshua Jones and Brandon Wiggins and our defensive backfield is probably the strength of our defesnse. At the corners, we have senior Karlos Sullivan and junior Terrell Wilson, who led the team with 4 picks last year. At the safeties, we have 3 interchangable seniors (literally. Coach Lembo splits the playing time between the three of them) with Cameron McGlenn and 2 of the 3 team captains, Walker White and Nolan Ward. Our DL has Eric Ludwig, but after him most of the players seem to be just average in my eyes. Not that that's a bad thing. I just don't think they really stand out.

The biggest question for us will no doubt be our special teams. We lose Andrew Wilcox and Brandon Lane, two of the better kickers and punters in the SoCon and now will play two guys who have basically been untested until now. It will be very interesting to see how they do. In the return game, we should be solid as ever. Sullivan will be returning punts again (and he did return one to the house last year against Stoney Brook in a frickin monsoon) and I have heard Dontay Taylor and/or Jamal Shuman will now assume kickoff return duties. I am very interested to see how that shall work out.

I am very excited for Elon football this year. Hell, I haven't been this excited for football on any level since the Panthers made the Super Bowl in '03. This is the year for us to make some noise and I think we shall do it. This is the year we get over the hump and finally get in the playoffs. Third time's a charm, right?

Phoenixrising
July 31st, 2009, 12:46 PM
I agree with Phoenixphanatic21, this team seems to have all the ingredients to put tremendous points on the board and unlike previous seasons under Lembo, actually hold off other teams from scoring on the other side of the ball.

I also agree however that field position will be a serious problem without a strong punter and kicker, and keeping the wind in this team's sails as the end of the season comes to a close as been an obvious challenge for Lembo. I guess there's not much more to do other than wait and see.

Can't wait to watch Davidson try to wipe the poop out of their pants after they see the halftime scoreboard. That's what you get for putting all athletic funds towards one sport.

AppIAA
July 31st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Did you have the team last year? And the year before?? Just saying... ;)

In all honesty, Elon should be good this year... National championship contender? Probably not.. but they will make some noise in the SoCon, and IF (thats a big if with their recent chokes at the end of the season -- not trying to talk smack, just the way it is, it seems) all cylinders are firing at the end of the regular season, they could pull an upset or 2 in the playoffs..

phoenixphanatic21
July 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Did you have the team last year? And the year before?? Just saying... ;)

In all honesty, Elon should be good this year... National championship contender? Probably not.. but they will make some noise in the SoCon, and IF (thats a big if with their recent chokes at the end of the season -- not trying to talk smack, just the way it is, it seems) all cylinders are firing at the end of the regular season, they could pull an upset or 2 in the playoffs..

I don't think we'll be national championship contenders. Honestly, I'll be happy if we can make the playoffs and just get over the hump so I can finally stop hearing it from you guys haha.

OL FU
July 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
I agree with Phoenixphanatic21, this team seems to have all the ingredients to put tremendous points on the board and unlike previous seasons under Lembo, actually hold off other teams from scoring on the other side of the ball.

I also agree however that field position will be a serious problem without a strong punter and kicker, and keeping the wind in this team's sails as the end of the season comes to a close as been an obvious challenge for Lembo. I guess there's not much more to do other than wait and see.

Can't wait to watch Davidson try to wipe the poop out of their pants after they see the halftime scoreboard. That's what you get for putting all athletic funds towards one sport.

I hope you murderlize themxnodx:D

biggie
July 31st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Having the othe 2 OOC games being a little easier has to help, compared to last years last game.

I went with 8, losing to WF, App, and One of Woff/FU/GSU. But with those 3 it could become a 6 win season instead of 8.

elon77
July 31st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Well let's see.

Elon vs Davidson Elon win
Elon vs Presbyterian Elon win
Elon vs Wake Hmmmmm Wake could be close though
Elon vs GSU Elon win, 3 years in a row
Elon vs Furman Elon win close game they will be mad from last years spanking
Elon vs The Citadel Elon win
Elon vs Chatty Elon win
Elon vs Wofford Elon win Will remember last years beat down
Elon vs WCU Elon win Western still has a year or two to grow
Elon vs ASU Elon win Finally beats dem Hillbillies
Elon vs Samford Samford win Elon has let down after beating ASU

Finishes 9-2 and makes playoff.

whoanellie
July 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM
The Bad - Elon will have their third OC in 3 years. Will inconsistency continue to be a problem? Road SoCon schedule could be tough with games versus Wofford, Furman, Samford, and a possible trap game against Western Carolina.

Offense is Lembo's side of the ball. So there is an understanding there. Offense is better balanced but it's hard not to play throw and catch with Riddle to Hudgins.
Offensive line is good and deep. receiving & running back depth.

gophoenix
July 31st, 2009, 10:16 PM
I hope we beat Davidson by more than that.

I want Elon to run that school over and make them feel what its like to play a real SoCon in a place they should be man enough to put their team. The worst of us had to play their basketball team... it's time for them to feel the brunt of it for football.... I want that win to not just be a win for the us, but an example of how the conference feels about them in the Pioneer.

Saint3333
August 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM
Don't beat them too bad then ASU will never get to play them.

drpnut
August 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Elon wins over Davidson by 30
Elon wins over Presby by 20
Wake over Elon by 10
Elon over GSU by 3
Elon over Furple by 3
Elon over ElCid by 7
Elon over Chatty by 24
Woffy over Elon by 10
Elon over WCU by 10
Appy over Elon by 10
Elon over Sammy by 7

8-3 with a shot at playoffs. If Woffy finishes with 8-3 with 2 Conference losses, Woffy gets tie-breaker over Elon, by virtue of head to head. However, I think the SoCon could get 3-4 teams in this year. So I will say if Elon goes 8-3 they have a strong shot at getting in.

Hoolaxconfusedx:D

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM
I've got a feeling we are going to get Elon this year. We've been in the past two games with them even though they have the better team. Hatcher will certainly have the team ready to play, too.

blueballs
August 1st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Don't underestimate the effect on the two kickers exhausting their eligibility... the FG kicker was the difference between Elon being a playoff contender and an also ran .500 team the last two years.

T-Dog
August 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM
8-3 will get Elon a playoff spot. Elon looks to have more tough road games than tough home games in the SoCon, but having App at home is huge, especially in November. Last year's game that same weekend in Boone was quite the experience for the visitors. xnodx

appfan2008
August 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM
i went 7-4 with 5-3 in conference

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
This is a big year for Lembo at Elon. It took about 3 or 4 years of failing to win the big games at Lehigh for the fans to get up in arms. I think he's a good coach but he did struggle to produce results when the money was on the line.

gophoenix
August 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
This is a big year for Lembo at Elon. It took about 3 or 4 years of failing to win the big games at Lehigh for the fans to get up in arms. I think he's a good coach but he did struggle to produce results when the money was on the line.

No offense, but Elon in the Patriot League would be playoff bound each year. The SoCon is much tougher and we started out in a WAY worse position than where Lehigh was before Lembo started as head coach.

It will be WAY longer before anyone at Elon is up in arms....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
No offense, but Elon in the Patriot League would be playoff bound each year. The SoCon is much tougher and we started out in a WAY worse position than where Lehigh was before Lembo started as head coach.

You certaintly can't say that. In fact that's a rediculous comment. Elon hasn't made the playoffs in who knows how long. Lafayette went down to Boone a few years ago and gave the 'Eers all they could handle. The PL has been down the last couple years. This year they could have 3 Top 25 teams.

ASU_MBA
August 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Well let's see.

Elon vs Davidson Elon win
Elon vs Presbyterian Elon win
Elon vs Wake Hmmmmm Wake could be close though
Elon vs GSU Elon win, 3 years in a row
Elon vs Furman Elon win close game they will be mad from last years spanking
Elon vs The Citadel Elon win
Elon vs Chatty Elon win
Elon vs Wofford Elon win Will remember last years beat down
Elon vs WCU Elon win Western still has a year or two to grow
Elon vs ASU Elon win Finally beats dem Hillbillies
Elon vs Samford Samford win Elon has let down after beating ASU

Finishes 9-2 and makes playoff.

Not sure about the win over App. I know you guys are at home and all....but you will have to run the ball again. Not to be a big homer but I think this ASU Secondary will be one of the best if not the best in the nation. It may not be a fun day for Riddle.

I say 9-2 or 8-3
with one or two conference loses....

phoenixphanatic21
August 5th, 2009, 10:42 PM
You certaintly can't say that. In fact that's a rediculous comment. Elon hasn't made the playoffs in who knows how long. Lafayette went down to Boone a few years ago and gave the 'Eers all they could handle. The PL has been down the last couple years. This year they could have 3 Top 25 teams.

And we went to Boone and gave them a run for their money too. No offense to the PL, but I think we would get in the playoffs nearly, if not every, season.

Not sure about the win over App. I know you guys are at home and all....but you will have to run the ball again. Not to be a big homer but I think this ASU Secondary will be one of the best if not the best in the nation. It may not be a fun day for Riddle.

I say 9-2 or 8-3
with one or two conference loses....

I think Elon could run the ball on you again. We got 165 rushing yards against yall and will should have good balance again on offense, not to mention 3 very good RBs behind Brandon Newsome. So if needed, yes, we could run the ball againt App. Does that mean we will beat yall this year? No, I don't think so. But I sure as hell hope we do. xnodx

gophoenix
August 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Elon hasn't made the FCS playoffs, ever. But making the playoffs means absolutely nothing to how good a team is compared to the rest of the country. In 1999, Elon beat the MEAC champion and the SoCon champion we didn't make the playoffs while they both did. Doesn't mean we didn't have a good team, but that year we were ranked higher than all the Patriot schools. In 2000 we were ranked above all but Lehigh. And the past few years, down or up, we have been ranked higher and consistently play a harder schedule. 1 game against Lafayette isn't a measuring stick. We gave App just as good of a game last year and we didn't make the playoffs. So.....

The truth is, it isn't a ridiculous comment, it is simple truth. Sorry you don't like it.

blueballs
August 6th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Elon hasn't made the FCS playoffs, ever. But making the playoffs means absolutely nothing to how good a team is compared to the rest of the country. In 1999, Elon beat the MEAC champion and the SoCon champion we didn't make the playoffs while they both did. Doesn't mean we didn't have a good team, but that year we were ranked higher than all the Patriot schools. In 2000 we were ranked above all but Lehigh. And the past few years, down or up, we have been ranked higher and consistently play a harder schedule. 1 game against Lafayette isn't a measuring stick. We gave App just as good of a game last year and we didn't make the playoffs. So.....

The truth is, it isn't a ridiculous comment, it is simple truth. Sorry you don't like it.

Elon defeated one of the three SoCon co-champions in 1999, not THE SoCon champ.

GSU was one of the co-champions that year and went on to win the national title. They did not play Elon in 1999.

Just a point of order as I absolutely agree with your larger point.xthumbsupx

WOCO
August 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Ok hope this doesn't make anyone too mad but I have one question. Doesn't elon at some point have to SHOW that they can win when it matters. One random good win here and there doesn't count. Loosing the game that WOULD HAVE made them co-conference champs doesn't count. Loosing a game to liberty that they had to win to make the playoffs doesn't create credibility. Last years wasn't really a meltdown by elon. They just finally got to the tough part of the schedule. I know elon has talent but at some point, don't you actually have to make something happen? Wofford had to go through 2002 to gain credibility by beating 2 top 5 teams and they still didn't make the playoffs. Just kinda seems to me that credibility is being ordained on elon instead of earned BY elon for some reason. Last I checked moral victories don't count in the record books.

I'll wait for the hate coming in 3........................2....................1

elon77
August 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Ok hope this doesn't make anyone too mad but I have one question. Doesn't elon at some point have to SHOW that they can win when it matters. One random good win here and there doesn't count. Loosing the game that WOULD HAVE made them co-conference champs doesn't count. Loosing a game to liberty that they had to win to make the playoffs doesn't create credibility. Last years wasn't really a meltdown by elon. They just finally got to the tough part of the schedule. I know elon has talent but at some point, don't you actually have to make something happen? Wofford had to go through 2002 to gain credibility by beating 2 top 5 teams and they still didn't make the playoffs. Just kinda seems to me that credibility is being ordained on elon instead of earned BY elon for some reason. Last I checked moral victories don't count in the record books.

I'll wait for the hate coming in 3........................2....................1

No hate here, I think you have made several good points. But, I will say this, 5 years ago Elon really sucked at football. They have come a long way in a very tough conference in a short time. The fans that really enjoy Elon football hope that this is the year we get over the hump, if not I will show up at you know who's house to drown my sorry.

OLDMAIN80
August 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
6-5 Bank it!!!!!!!!!!

elonfan06
August 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
No hate here either. IMO, yes Elon does need to string together more than one big win in a season and PROVE themselves. GSU was big last year, WoCo two years ago but we have not been able to get more than one big upset, yet. Going back to the previous comment about Lembo having to win this season. Seeing as football "didn't matter" or was an assumed social event first- football second- activity until his arrival means that he (from a fan perspective) has a few more years before we start calling for the ax since we finally are winning and do get the 1 "big" win of the year. I think with the die-hards and the Administration, yes playoffs has to be accomplished SOON (this year would be nice). For the first time in a while Elon has made strategic athletic decisions putting things in place brick by brick (using what has been from a facility/academic standpoint throughout the rest of the U).

I agree with 21 that our special teams/kicking is the biggest question mark to start the season. Unproven players in a position that has won us the big games (GSU) in the past, can they be reliable this year? I am looking at an 8-3 record as well that will get us into the playoffs. I do think one of those wins will be against App State. Being in the stadium last year in Boone I think we held things together pretty well and while Edwards was injured were better able to contain the offense. I think two or the three losses come at Wofford and at Wake. The third is TBD.

I can say that I'm just happy that camp opens this weekend.

ElonPride
August 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM

No hate coming from here either. This is something I believe most Elon fans have expressed. Two years ago, the team peaked mid season. Last year, the new OC seem to lack creativity, but did create a running game.

Hopefully, Elon's deep football history is helping gain credibility while moving up through the divisional ranks. I personally don't think cred is flat out being "ordained."

FUrams7
August 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Pete Lembo the Head Coach is a former high school teammate of mine.. I wouldnt be suprised if Elon won 10 games and made a nice run in the 1aa playoffs. I cant speak about the talent level of the players on the squad but Lembo is a solid coach, a program builder and a bright guy. As long as he is there the program will continue to move in the right direction.

gophoenix
August 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM

No, those are fairs points. I don't think anyone is giving us more credit than what is due honestly. We turned a few corners but haven't turned that extra one. Like I said, I think we'd love to make the playoffs, but compared to where we were, we're just happy to be competitive and winning the big games too. Not sure what a moral victory is to you, but winning games against top 25 teams is good enough for me. I don't think anyone es giving us any more than that. You win some, you lose some. It's way better than losing them all.

2002 for Wofford is a lot like 1999 for us. That year we beat two top 10 teams and 5 teams that were ranked when the among 7 top 25 games... and we didn't make the playoffs.

gophoenix
August 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
IN addition, what Lembo is doing is the right way of doing things. Putting together a solid squad with solid student athletes and graduating players. If you can do that, and win most of the big games and (for the most part) be in the big games; then what can you fault? We have 9 teams in this conference. Right now, you have 7 teams very capable of finishing in the top 3 and Western is on the right track. With that said, teams are going to win and lose yearly. The conference on the whole is fantastically matched right now, and for that, as long as we're not getting blown out, every team is in it every game. And as long as we are, even if we don't win them all, I am happy.

I think a lot of you GSU, Wofford and App fans don't understand anything about losing. Which is fortunate in one respect, but it doesn't make you really appreciate where your team is now. Samford, The Citadel and Elon all sucked way bad not terribly long ago while having good seasons within most of our recent memory. Western fans will get to say that again soon too. For some reason, I think a lot of us have a greater appreciation for where our teams are overall than you guys because we know what its like to not only be on the bottom, but to be on the bottom going to games knowing a win is next to impossible.

GoDukes86
August 6th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Since Liberty isn't on the schedule this year...8-3.

Zeus69
August 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth.... could have been in the dance last year if not for the whoopin they took at the hands of the Flames..

elon77
August 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth.... could have been in the dance last year if not for the whoopin they took at the hands of the Flames..

Your memory is short, but you can brag. Remember we kicked your butt the year before. If you hadn't lost to, was it Presbyterian, last year you might have made the playoffs.xrolleyesx I wish we were playing the flame outs this year, you know what they say about payback.

phoenix3
August 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Boy are you right about that! Everyone I know is still embarassed about that one. Of course, you know how that feels having lost to Presbyterian. Otherwise the Flames would've been in the playoffs as well.

ASU_MBA
August 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Boy are you right about that! Everyone I know is still embarassed about that one. Of course, you know how that feels having lost to Presbyterian. Otherwise the Flames would've been in the playoffs as well.

I have never pulled for Liberty in my life....and probably never will again....but on that day we were all Flames....

The question is whether Elon does a classic end of the season melt down. ? If they hold it together I see a playoff bound team.

ElonPride
August 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I have never pulled for Liberty in my life....and probably never will again....but on that day we were all Flames....

The questions is whether Elon does a classic end of the season melt down. ? If they hold it together I see a playoff bound team.

After that terrible, terrible pounding LU took at the hands of this team 2 years ago, Elon was obviously overlooking LU. I think I remember Terrell Hudgins saying in a pregame interview that it was a "guaranteed win." Opps!xsmiley_wix

phoenix3
August 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM

The question is whether Elon does a classic end of the season melt down. ? If they hold it together I see a playoff bound team.

That both surprises and disappoints me. I have always been an Elon fan first and a SoCon fan second. I have pulled for App on many occasions. App pulling for Liberty against Elon? I don't get it?!?!?!?

gophoenix
August 9th, 2009, 07:55 AM

I don't want to see an App fan ever again ever again lecturing anyone on not pulling for the conference in OOC games....

Saint3333
August 9th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Yep this guy speaks for EVERY App fan...

This ASU fan was pulling for Elon that day, but I don't pretend to speak for ASU as a whole.

ASU_MBA
August 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I don't want to see an App fan ever again ever again lecturing anyone on not pulling for the conference in OOC games....

I pulled for Liberty because frankly I did not want to play you guys again in the playoffs...and second I was not too excited about how AE was hurt in the Elon game...I thought it was pretty malicious..but under normal conditions I always pull for SoCon teams in out of conference games.

hapapp
August 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I was very disappointed that Elon lost to Liberty. I was hoping for a 3rd SoCon team in the playoffs. My guess is that the overwhelming number of App fans were pulling for the Phoenix...of course, there will always be exceptions.

wcucat85
August 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I think its the BEST conference in America and has been even since my playing days in the early 80's.We should all be proud our respective schools are in this conference.Its going to get tougher as time moves forward.You may see a time when 3 losses earns you the conference title.Western still has a hill to climb ,but thank goodness for Dennis Wagner showing up.Kent Briggs had destroyed the program.....literally.....Apps is the king of the hill right now and what a class act they have for a head coach as well.

Phoenix87
August 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
i think too many people are getting caught up on the OC issue. Skrosky is a heck of a coach and he had much more say than people realize on how the offense was run last season. Now to the App fan that commented on their secondary. Were you at the game last year in Boone? We ran the ball up and down the field all day. Newsome ran hard all day long. One of the best games I've seen in the Socon in a long time. The weather was nasty and both teams left it all on the field slugging it out. Unfortunately for us, we were on the losing end. While most people thought that we ran because of the weather however, the running game is Skrosky's game. He will run, run, run, and then go long with the pass when the opponent leasts expects it. There are too many good running backs on the roster to not rotate them through and it burns clock and it keeps our defense fresh. Two years ago we scored like wild fire but our defense couldn't get any rest. Last year our offense ate some clock, which allowed for the defense to be TONS better.

This year is probably the best chance for the Phoenix to win a Socon Champ and Nat'l Champ. The defense will be even more improved, and the offense will be in year 2 running Skrosky's offense (even though this is his first official year as OC).

As far as the Phoenix's ST... I think they have a solid kicker, but the punting is a major issue. More Scott Riddle punts Phoenix fans? I guess we'll see when the season starts. He took some reps during spring ball, and not in the quick kick formation.

Overall I predict an 8-3 season. Losses against Wake Forest, Georgia Southern, and Samford

phoenix3
August 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Skrosky was the OC last year. Just didn't have the badge.

Phoenix87
August 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Skrosky was the OC last year. Just didn't have the badge.

exactly

gophoenix
August 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I think its the BEST conference in America and has been even since my playing days in the early 80's.We should all be proud our respective schools are in this conference.Its going to get tougher as time moves forward.You may see a time when 3 losses earns you the conference title.Western still has a hill to climb ,but thank goodness for Dennis Wagner showing up.Kent Briggs had destroyed the program.....literally.....Apps is the king of the hill right now and what a class act they have for a head coach as well.

I think you're right, and I think the time of the SoCon getting 3 and having 4 real teams having a shot at the playoffs is about to be over. We're all just hammering all over each other during the season now. And With Western coming into that mix and Samford already stepping it up, it's just going to be that much harder for teams to come up clearly on top like in the 90s. Problem is, if the champ has 2-3 losses, the 2nd and 3rd place teams will likely have more. And with the OOC schedules getting way better, its going to be tough to make the playoffs that way as an at large. I mean, just look at the I-As being scheduled by the teams over the next handful of seasons.

whoanellie
August 9th, 2009, 10:08 PM
exactly

even with all the other hoopla our OL just might be the strongest unit now
it had the most to improve but running game gives us balance and ability to run clock and keep defense fresh. aerial game has so much skill it can be intoxicating or am I intoxicated when I see it?
We might have some scary numbers if "D" plays a take away give us great field position. We can be very good.

PhoenixSupreme
August 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I agree with some of the earlier posts that this is gonna be a "Now or Never" type of year. Hudgins is a senior, and thus this is the last year we'll see the chemistry of Riddle and T-Mobile working together. I'm not taking anything away from the running game, the other WRs, or defense, but this season feels like a pinnacle season for the team in regards to whether or not Elon will stay near the top of the SoCon for years to come. I have a gut instinct that this season will have that kind of impact on the team's future. I'm hoping with the impending double-teams that will probably be on Hudgins, we'll see some of the younger receivers step it up and show their potential towards being a leader for the next few years.

As for my prediction, I'm saying 9-2 with a playoff win. The team has to be bitter from losing the final two games from each of the past two seasons to be knocked out of the playoffs, and I think the pressure is mounting on Elon to get over the hump and show it can win consistently win the big games when they matter. Also I think everything will fall together this year, as this feels like the all-important year. Losses to Wake and Furman (I don't know...drew random SoCon team out of a hat).

drpnut
August 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Supreme

I believe if you go 9-2 you will have to beat Wake, because I really believe you will lose to Appy and Woffy, especially since you play us in "Sparkle City" I stick by my earlier post that you go 8-3.

PhoenixMan
August 13th, 2009, 09:07 PM

I love the Phoenix as much as anyone, but not sure where all the Lembo love is coming from. I lived through Seagraves and Hamilton and remember all too well how it was to suck. However, with the level of talent they have now...and to choke not once, but two seasons in a row. Can't score one touchdown at Liberty with everything on the line. No playoffs this year, I think a lot will be up in arms. AD Dave Blank has already shown that if you don't get it done, you get gone. No playoffs this year, I'll be saying the same thing. If they make the playoffs, then Lembo is the guy....he has certainly taken them a long ways. No more end of the season chokes or LEMBO must GO.

phoenix3
August 14th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I love the Phoenix as much as anyone, but not sure where all the Lembo love is coming from. I lived through Seagraves and Hamilton and remember all too well how it was to suck. However, with the level of talent they have now...and to choke not once, but two seasons in a row. Can't score one touchdown at Liberty with everything on the line. No playoffs this year, I think a lot will be up in arms. AD Dave Blank has already shown that if you don't get it done, you get gone. No playoffs this year, I'll be saying the same thing. If they make the playoffs, then Lembo is the guy....he has certainly taken them a long ways. No more end of the season chokes or LEMBO must GO.

2005 - 0-7 last in SoCon

2008 - 6-2 3rd in SoCon

2005 Cellar Dweller

2007 & 2008 Contender in the toughest FCS conference

Three years + the above and more... Blank is kissing Lembo booty, trust me!

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

gophoenix
August 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
2005 - 0-7 last in SoCon

2008 - 6-2 3rd in SoCon

2005 Cellar Dweller

I'm with you.

elon77
August 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM

What kind of drug are you taking? When Pete arrived at Elon there were 4 or five linemen on the team. I belive that's offensive and defensive, and the football program is not fully funded yet. What he has done for the school, the community, and the football program is incredible. If he goes somewhere it will be because another school see's what a great job he has done and snatches him away, not because Blank's gives him walking papers. xcoffeex

gophoenix
August 14th, 2009, 08:47 AM
What kind of drug are you taking? When Pete arrived at Elon there were 4 or five linemen on the team. I belive that's offensive and defensive, and the football program is not fully funded yet. What he has done for the school, the community, and the football program is incredible. If he goes somewhere it will be because another school see's what a great job he has done and snatches him away, not because Blank's gives him walking papers. xcoffeex

The program is fully funded. It was finished being fully allotted under Hamilton.

phoenixphanatic21
August 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM

I'd rather have 7 and 8 win seasons and not make the playoffs than being stuck in the cellar again. By all means, if you think you can find a better coach than Lembo, go ahead and call for him to be the new head coach. Until we start losing more games than we are winning on a consistant basis and I stop seeing improvement of the football program in general, I will fully back Coach Lembo.

elon77
August 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'd rather have 7 and 8 win seasons and not make the playoffs than being stuck in the cellar again. By all means, if you think you can find a better coach than Lembo, go ahead and call for him to be the new head coach. Until we start losing more games than we are winning on a consistant basis and I stop seeing improvement of the football program in general, I will fully back Coach Lembo.

amen to that.

gophoenix
August 14th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Yup, absolutely!

Saint3333
August 14th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I believe I heard similar stories of Lembo at Lehigh, which had good years under him, but didn't have a great record in the "big" games. He has more resources at Elon though, through the reputation of the conference and somewhat easier academic restrictions. Before someone jumps down my throat, Elon has good academics and this is not a slight to them more of a complement to Lehigh.

PhoenixMan
August 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM
2005 - 0-7 last in SoCon

2008 - 6-2 3rd in SoCon

2005 Cellar Dweller

See, that's the problem fellow Phoenix fans. CONTENDER is what you seem to be happy with. As I said, the man has done an outstanding job. However, he hasn't shown that he can get it done at the end of the year when it matters. Also, the records you mentioned, like 2005, were when Elon was new to FCS and SoCon. To be expected. Now expectations must be much higher. Do I like winning games and having fun in Rhodes Stadium....heck yes! Am I content with being an also ran at the end of the year 2 years in a row? never.

SU DOG
August 14th, 2009, 12:46 PM
You guys remind me of your old "Fighting Christians" nickname. xlolx

phoenix3
August 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
See, that's the problem fellow Phoenix fans. CONTENDER is what you seem to be happy with. As I said, the man has done an outstanding job. However, he hasn't shown that he can get it done at the end of the year when it matters. Also, the records you mentioned, like 2005, were when Elon was new to FCS and SoCon. To be expected. Now expectations must be much higher. Do I like winning games and having fun in Rhodes Stadium....heck yes! Am I content with being an also ran at the end of the year 2 years in a row? never.

You're right. I've reconsidered. FIRE THE BA$TARD! Then hire... well... who do you suggest?

whoanellie
August 15th, 2009, 08:03 AM

for goodness sake lighten up a bit...... my advice is to put you on decafe until game days.... xcoffeex let's get into the season win in a very tough league where We can now hold our own..... not every win We get is an upset now..... but our team and coaches know We will have to bring it every time out... which We should.
flush last year!!! it's over...
this season should should make ALL of Elon even those outside the bubble very proud. expect positive outcomes &
wear maroon

PhoenixMan
August 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
for goodness sake lighten up a bit...... my advice is to put you on decafe until game days.... xcoffeex let's get into the season win in a very tough league where We can now hold our own..... not every win We get is an upset now..... but our team and coaches know We will have to bring it every time out... which We should.
flush last year!!! it's over...
this season should should make ALL of Elon even those outside the bubble very proud. expect positive outcomes &
wear maroon

Just having a little fun, and trying to make the point that a lot of factors have gone into Elon's recent successes....albeit, the head coach is the biggest single factor. The bigger concern right now is that more than a dozen players are quarantined in their rooms with what appears to be an outbreak of swine flu. Duke's team has more than 30 in the same situation. I'm afraid this virus will wreak havoc when schools and colleges start back.
By the way...as for my suggestion for a coach...Tommy Bowden is just hanging out at the beach right now, and Elon has the $$ to pay himxnodx

elonpuckhog
August 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I lived through the end of the Seagraves years and the Hamilton years as well. I have been pleased with how things have gone under Lembo, but I think if we miss the playoffs again this year the grumblings will get louder. Remember, we've never made the playoffs.

As for this year, I think we will make the playoffs.

elon77
August 15th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Just having a little fun, and trying to make the point that a lot of factors have gone into Elon's recent successes....albeit, the head coach is the biggest single factor. The bigger concern right now is that more than a dozen players are quarantined in their rooms with what appears to be an outbreak of swine flu. Duke's team has more than 30 in the same situation. I'm afraid this virus will wreak havoc when schools and colleges start back.
By the way...as for my suggestion for a coach...Tommy Bowden is just hanging out at the beach right now, and Elon has the $$ to pay himxnodx

tommy Bowden? I thought you were on drugs, now I know you are on drugs.xthumbsupx

PhoenixMan
August 15th, 2009, 11:54 PM
tommy Bowden? I thought you were on drugs, now I know you are on drugs.xthumbsupx

Times are tough....Bowden needs a job!