PDA

View Full Version : Would Tracy Hamm and Bobby Lamb be studs in today's FCS?

drpnut
July 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM
It is a boring time of summer waiting on the season to start... Had a little time on my hands and just wanted throw something out there...

Would Tracy Hamm and Bobby Lamb be studs in today's FCS?

Holla;)

AshevilleApp2
July 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Blueballs?

OL FU
July 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure it matters. Football players and the game changes and it is tough to compare. What matters is what you do against the competition that you are playing against. But my guess is yes. Hamm was an athlete. although bigger than Edwards, he was the same type of do everything player (of course in a different way that Edwards). He ran the GSU option about as good as it could be run and even though he didn't throw alot when he did he was dead on target. Lamb wasn't terribly fast, he didn't have a strong arm, wasn't a finesse runner. But he ran Furman's option to perfection. Extraordinarily smart running the offense. He didn't make mistakes and just to piss off 89, gave 110%.xsmiley_wix

Lamb and the Furman offense beat NC State two years in a row and beat Ga Tech during his four years. The year we beat Tech he wasn't the starter but played the game when the starting QB was injured. The second game against NC State wasn't close. FU put up more than 40 points in the second game.

blueballs
July 30th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I didn't see Lamb play enough to answer the question with any degree of certainty but in the case of Tracy Ham the answer is unequivocably yes. In fact Ham theoretically might even have been more dangerous operating out of today's shotgun style spread with a more sophisticated passing game than he was under center in the triple option. Dude was a magician...

GannonFan
July 30th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think I ever saw Lamb play, but Hamm was an out and out stud - he might be the best player ever in I-AA/FCS history (well, after Gannon of course xsmiley_wix) so a definite yes on him.

89Hen
July 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
He didn't make mistakes and just to piss off 89, gave 110%.xsmiley_wix
xmadx xnonox :p

OL FU
July 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I didn't see Lamb play enough to answer the question with any degree of certainty but in the case of Tracy Ham the answer is unequivocably yes. In fact Ham theoretically might even have been more dangerous operating out of today's shotgun style spread with a more sophisticated passing game than he was under center in the triple option. Dude was a magician...

They were certainly different types of players. I don't think Bobby could turn a game around single handed like Hamm (I know it takes more than the QB) but in our 85 game it certainly looked like Hamm could beat us by himself in the second half.

In Furman's history we have a few studs but that really wasn't what made Furman tick. It was the discipline and working to together of the team. Very few superstars. Lamb did get drafted by the NFL though ( I have no clue which round) but I don't think he even tried the NFL. Always said he wanted to be a coach. Furman had some damn good QBs after him but the next one I remember getting picked in the draft was Martin.

g-webb1994
July 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Both of them.....hell yes.

Brad82
July 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Played against Lamb and I can say-without a doubt!!
So could:
Ham
Tom Ehrhardt
Doug Butler
Marty Horn
Kelly Bradley
Rich Gannon
Pete Muldoon

from yrs-1984-85. less sure on:
Frank Bauer
Bob Bleir
Dave Palazzi
Bill St. Jean

these were top/upcoming QB's then

JohnStOnge
July 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I'll echo the sentiments of some others: If I saw Lamb play, I don't remember. So I can't comment on him.

But I saw Tracey Ham play both live and on TV. The answer on him is an emphatic "Yes."