PDA

View Full Version : Would a New Mexico School become FCS?

drpnut
July 30th, 2009, 10:12 AM
This may seem obscure to some, but I travel through NM a lot and am aware that the only DI programs are UNM and NMstate. They don't have any FCS programs.

What would it take for NM Highlands to move up or how about WNMState? I think they would be good additions to the GReat WEst or the Big Sky could take them and then split into divisions.

Yeh... I":m bored waiting on the start of the season, but I really would like to see NM put some schools in the FCS.

Hollaxpeacex

Green Cookie Monster
July 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM
S. Utah would come b4 any NM schools, unless NMSU joins FCS and Big Sky.

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Any New Mexico school that goes FCS would be a GREAT fit for the Great West Conference and a potential OOC game for the Southland! ;)

Franks Tanks
July 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
This may seem obscure to some, but I travel through NM a lot and am aware that the only DI programs are UNM and NMstate. They don't have any FCS programs.

What would it take for NM Highlands to move up or how about WNMState? I think they would be good additions to the GReat WEst or the Big Sky could take them and then split into divisions.

Yeh... I":m bored waiting on the start of the season, but I really would like to see NM put some schools in the FCS.

Hollaxpeacex

It appears that Eastern NM typically has the best FB team of the New Mexico D-II schools and they seem to get some good players from Texas.

JALMOND
July 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Hollaxpeacex

Maybe a better fit for the Great West than the Big Sky. Especially in this economy, we need to look at the ease of getting from one opponent to another, and trying to get to Silver City from anywhere is rather difficult (maybe easier for the Great West schools as they are use to getting into difficult places like Cedar City and Vermillion).

I pride myself on knowing where a lot of the schools are, but I'll be damned if I know where NM Highlands is. Eastern NM is in Tucumcari I believe, another rather difficult place to get to.

We don't have charter planes we can just hop on and presto, we are there. Also, unlike the east, the great distances between towns in the west makes bussing difficult, especially as winter draws near. Many schools out west are struggling to find the funds necessary to travel. Forcing them to go to out of the way places every year is quite a burden on the budget. If New Mexico is feeling the same pinch that they rest of us are, they are probably happy keeping things as they are.

drpnut
July 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
JALMOND

NM Highlands is in Las Vegas, NM.

chrisattsu
July 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I would be hard pressed to be believe it.

Eastern NM is the only one that I could possibly see moving up. They are already playing in the Lone Star Conference which leaps and bounds ahead of the RMAC (where Highlands and Western play).

The problem is that the Greyhounds only have 2300 students and they are in the middle of nowhere.

I think the only way that you would see them move up is if West Texas A&M moved up. They are big time rivals (the last few in Canyon games have averaged over 20,000 fans). They are only 150 miles apart (which is not much in West Texas).

Although, I will tell you this. Nobody wants to play at the 'Draw'. ENM's stadium is located in Black Water Draw, an archeological site. Every year, one of the LSC's top teams gets loses out there. I don't know if it is the air, the time difference, or the idea of an Indian Burial Ground, but it is not a place our players look forward to going to.

OhioHen
July 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM
S. Utah would come b4 any NM schools, unless NMSU joins FCS and Big Sky.

Southern Utah is alread FCS. xrolleyesx

Franks Tanks
July 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Southern Utah is alread FCS. xrolleyesx

I think he meant joining the big sky--or maybe not

GeauxColonels
July 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Any New Mexico school that goes FCS would be a GREAT fit for the Great West Conference and a potential OOC game for the Southland! ;)
SOME, of the Southland.

coover
July 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM
The Great West needs more than 5 teams and would welcome just about anybody west of the prairies who could recruit a sufficient number of decent FCS athletes. As most of the 5 are already difficult to get to (Davis is the only school reasonably near a major airport), I think they would be inclined to accept any New Mexico schools.

And let's add another candidate ... the University of San Diego is already an FCS (non-scholarship) school in the Pioneer League, which is described as "coast to coast". Wouldn't they save money in transportation costs by joining a regionalized league, perhaps enough to actually give scholarships?

JALMOND
July 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
JALMOND

NM Highlands is in Las Vegas, NM.

Las Vegas, New Mexico, got it. I actually know where that is (and no I do not mean the big Las Vegas). I thought I was doing well to know where Western and Eastern New Mexico were. If someone had put a gun to my head as to where Highlands were and told me to guess, I would have said Gallup so I was way off. Thanks again. xthumbsupx

laxVik
July 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I live in NM and the prospects would be slim at best. WNMU is on an island in Silver City, barely gets 200 people in the stands. NMHU is in the largest city (50K) but is always having money issues. ENMU has generally a better FB program but again lack of money. The best chance is having NMSU slide down a notch.

RabidRabbit
July 31st, 2009, 11:04 AM
The Great West needs more than 5 teams and would welcome just about anybody west of the prairies who could recruit a sufficient number of decent FCS athletes. As most of the 5 are already difficult to get to (Davis is the only school reasonably near a major airport), I think they would be inclined to accept any New Mexico schools.

And let's add another candidate ... the University of San Diego is already an FCS (non-scholarship) school in the Pioneer League, which is described as "coast to coast". Wouldn't they save money in transportation costs by joining a regionalized league, perhaps enough to actually give scholarships?

Is a major airport only hub airports? Or would 10-15 flights/day from a major hub qualify?

USD is 30 mins from Sioux City, IA airport and 60 min from Sioux Falls, SD, and 2 hours from Omaha, all but 15 miles total on interstate. Davis is "close" to SF, and Sac.

coover
August 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
QUOTE=RabidRabbit;1376826]Is a major airport only hub airports? Or would 10-15 flights/day from a major hub qualify?

USD is 30 mins from Sioux City, IA airport and 60 min from Sioux Falls, SD, and 2 hours from Omaha, all but 15 miles total on interstate. Davis is "close" to SF, and Sac.[/QUOTE]

10 to 15 flights a day from where? Actually, it makes little difference.

Cal Poly - closest major airport, Fresno, CA, about 2 1/2 hours away (Santa Barbara, 1 3/4 hours has some flights). LAX and SFO are 4 to 5 hours away, depending upon traffic

SUU - closest major airport, Las Vegas, NV, about 3 hours away

Davis - San Francisco (1 1/2 hours), Oakland (1 1/4 hours), and Sacramento (20 -25 minutes) give lots of choice for flights

North Dakota - Grand Forks, I don't know the area, but it looks like Winnipeg, CA at 135 miles is the closest (everybody have a passport?), while Bismarck is about 300 miles. And it is a bit expensive to fly there. I assume pretty much everything to and from Grand Forks would be charter.

The Great West is not a very good travel league.

TheBisonator
August 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM
QUOTE=RabidRabbit;1376826]Is a major airport only hub airports? Or would 10-15 flights/day from a major hub qualify?

USD is 30 mins from Sioux City, IA airport and 60 min from Sioux Falls, SD, and 2 hours from Omaha, all but 15 miles total on interstate. Davis is "close" to SF, and Sac.

10 to 15 flights a day from where? Actually, it makes little difference.

Cal Poly - closest major airport, Fresno, CA, about 2 1/2 hours away (Santa Barbara, 1 3/4 hours has some flights). LAX and SFO are 4 to 5 hours away, depending upon traffic

SUU - closest major airport, Las Vegas, NV, about 3 hours away

Davis - San Francisco (1 1/2 hours), Oakland (1 1/4 hours), and Sacramento (20 -25 minutes) give lots of choice for flights

North Dakota - Grand Forks, I don't know the area, but it looks like Winnipeg, CA at 135 miles is the closest (everybody have a passport?), while Bismarck is about 300 miles. And it is a bit expensive to fly there. I assume pretty much everything to and from Grand Forks would be charter.

The Great West is not a very good travel league.[/QUOTE]

I think teams usually fly into Fargo and bus to Grand Forks if I'm not mistaken...