PDA

View Full Version : Best Player in the FCS this year?

HenZoneNation
July 29th, 2009, 11:06 AM
With football season right around the corner I was wondering two things:

1) Who do you think is the best FCS player this year?

2) Who do you think will be the best FCS player next year?

I have a feeling that a lot of people will put AE for this year and wanted to make it more interesting so I added future stars to the discussion.

GannonFan
July 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
It's certainly Edwards this year, hard to imagine there's even a discussion about that.

For 2010, could be Devlin - let's see how he does this year (but keeping my fingers crossed). xpeacex

TexasTerror
July 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Edwards this year...

And just looking at SLC talent, perhaps someone like TXST's Karrington Bush next year? He is a sensational all-purpose player.

Bam
July 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
AE this yr & next yr will be Appy's FBS transfer QB they gain in the off season.

mcveyrl
July 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
AE this yr & next yr will be Appy's FBS transfer QB they gain in the off season.

I thought they had a guy named Pressley that was supposed to be AE incarnate...

PaladinFan
July 29th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Pressley is undoubtedly a talented athlete. However, I think it is pretty unreasonable to think anyone can step in for AE and keep things going at the same level. Edwards is one of the great players this level has seen.

Bam
July 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM
AE Incarnate sound like a great name for my metal group.

SideLine Shooter
July 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM

I like your thinking on that, but Pressley may be a better passer than Armanti.

Appinator
July 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Must not follow our program much.....App really does not rely on any FBS transfers for key role players on either side of the ball. Devin Radford has really been the only "major" additions to the Apps over the last two seasons FBS transfer wise, but he is listed as our 3rd running back on the depth chart. Not knocking transfers at all, just saying it hasn't been our historical "MO". Over our championship run, our only significant FBS transfer was our kicker, everyone else was homegrown.

Pressley has a chance to be great, just not Armanti GREAT. If you get to see him play any this year (hopefully not in an extended appearance, only at the end of games), you'll be impressed.

ASU_MBA
July 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM
AE this year and either Pressley or the transfer QB Travaris Cadet for App next year...he is suppose to be sick and was a top recruit in 2007
look at the info....
http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=44038&sport=1

Appinator
July 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM
AE this year and either Pressley or the transfer QB Travaris Cadet for App next year...he is suppose to be sick and was a top recruit in 2007
look at the info....
http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=44038&sport=1

I just don't think Cadet is going to play QB for us. I think after Pressley, Jammil Lott will be the next guy. Cadet still isn't even listed as a QB. If he doesn't get assigned to that spot by the end of camp, I would say is chances are slim.

Lott, on the other hand, put up some great numbers for Kannapolis (one of NC's best HS teams) this past year, and is a prime time player.

Silenoz
July 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM
So it's nearly unanimous that 2010's best player is someone with little to nothing proven yet xlolx

ASU_MBA
July 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I like Lott also but his passing game is light years behind the college level....Cadet may move to WR but the tape on that guy shows he is the real deal.....and I understand he chose App over other schools so he could have a shot at playing QB. It should be interesting...

Mikeyosef
July 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
No doubt the best FCS player this year has to be AE. Next year who knows but this year it's AE baby!

ASU_MBA
July 29th, 2009, 12:29 PM
So it's nearly unanimous that 2010's best player is someone with little to nothing proven yet xlolx

I agree....more of a wish I guess...

BobcatJH
July 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Armanti Edwards, but that qb at Brown is a close second........

elon77
July 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Armanti Edwards, but that qb at Brown is a close second........

No, Scott Riddle is second.xnodx

Black Saturday
July 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM

LOL! Not by a long shot. And don't let anybody tell you differently. I hear fans say that and I'm wondering where its coming from. Not even close. imo

DuckDuckGriz
July 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Armanti Edwards

Possible contenders IMO:
Trevyn Smith
Marc Mariani

asknoquarter21
July 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM
09 Armanti Edward

10 is anyones guess

as far as the DeAndre Pressley thing

he is certainly faster than Armanti but his accuracy is no where near Armanti. DeAndre can run the offense and he has the coaches trying to figure out how to put him on the field.

I can't wait to see him and Armanti lineup in the backfield together this season.....

R.A.
July 29th, 2009, 08:09 PM
South Carolina State University Bulldog
RB Will Ford
http://www.scsuathletics.com/images/2008/7/31/rp_primary_will-ford-vs-howard-(photo-by-Rodney-Pierce)-for-web.jpg

AppMan
July 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I just don't think Cadet is going to play QB for us. I think after Pressley, Jammil Lott will be the next guy. Cadet still isn't even listed as a QB. If he doesn't get assigned to that spot by the end of camp, I would say is chances are slim.

Lott, on the other hand, put up some great numbers for Kannapolis (one of NC's best HS teams) this past year, and is a prime time player.

I like Lott a bunch and gave him my sleeper candidate at QB, but this Cadet kid is something special.

BDKJMU
July 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Must not follow our program much.....App really does not rely on any FBS transfers for key role players on either side of the ball. Devin Radford has really been the only "major" additions to the Apps over the last two seasons FBS transfer wise, but he is listed as our 3rd running back on the depth chart. Not knocking transfers at all, just saying it hasn't been our historical "MO". Over our championship run, our only significant FBS transfer was our kicker, everyone else was homegrown.

Pressley has a chance to be great, just not Armanti GREAT. If you get to see him play any this year (hopefully not in an extended appearance, only at the end of games), you'll be impressed.

Didn't ASU get a DL transfer from LSU 2 years ago who is starting?

Reign of Terrier
July 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I won't say he's the best but I think one of the 2 Qbs for Wofford will open some eyes, simply because they are probably the real first of their kind, like a mix of Josh Collier and Ben Widmyer in terms of natural talent (JC) and knowing the offense pretty well going in (BW). Mitch Allen sliced defenses last year while running the option with his relief duty and he's not a bad passer either. Robby Davis has some quick feet and hasn't shown much, but that's a PT thing as oppose to a talent thing.

bottom line: they'll open some eyes this year.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sout/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/2586998.jpeg
Southern University's Bryant Lee

wideright82
July 29th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Aaron Ball

ericsaid
July 29th, 2009, 09:46 PM

No, Jamal Jackson looks like the quarterback they should choose from the videos. He's big has a strong arm and can run. Jammil Lott wasn't the best passer from what I saw.

AppFan61
July 29th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Didn't ASU get a DL transfer from LSU 2 years ago who is starting?
Yes, but he wound up leaving after a year. Never really was an impact player.

ASUTed
July 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Dude, you have lost it.

Lott will not even get a look at QB and cadet could be starting over pressley next year. AL brown is not even close to Miami Central, I don't care how good the numbers are, at QB you have to be able to pass. Lott cannot pass.

VT Wildcat Fan53
July 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM
AE this year, but how about pre-season CAA Offensive Player of the Year, Jr QB, RJ Toman, of UNH for the fall of 2010? Being the projected best offensive player in the best conference in the nation must count for something.

Go...gate
July 29th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Dominick Randolph of Holy Cross?

KiddBrewer
July 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM

no, cause i believe its gonna be Brian Quick, Appalachian WR....who has proven he can be a BEAST!

and arent we kinda beating a dead horse here even having the question "who will be the best player this year?"xcoffeexxeyebrowxxthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
July 29th, 2009, 10:42 PM
LOL! Not by a long shot. And don't let anybody tell you differently. I hear fans say that and I'm wondering where its coming from. Not even close. imo

xcoffeex.....people said Appalachian would never see another Richie Williams......xcoffeex

just kidding, i hate coffee AND armanti is the best we'll probably ever see.

Appinator
July 29th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Dude, you have lost it.

Lott will not even get a look at QB and cadet could be starting over pressley next year. AL brown is not even close to Miami Central, I don't care how good the numbers are, at QB you have to be able to pass. Lott cannot pass.

No, Jamal Jackson looks like the quarterback they should choose from the videos. He's big has a strong arm and can run. Jammil Lott wasn't the best passer from what I saw.

I like Lott a bunch and gave him my sleeper candidate at QB, but this Cadet kid is something special.

I didn't know that throwing for over 1800 yards and 20 TDs in a spread option system was "not being able to throw". Lott can definitely throw.

AE's numbers his Senior year: 1100 yards, 18 TDs

Cadet might be good, but I am just saying I think Lott will be better.

Just think about it: IF Cadet was a prototypical QB for our system, WHY would he be transferring from Toledo, where Satterfield went? Does that make sense at all that he would leave a situation where he would be the best "fit" in their (Toledo's) group of QBs to run our EXACT SAME OFFENSE? If he didn't think that he would get to run it there, why would he be able to do it better at ASU? All three of their QBs on the depth are pocket passers, and their 4 year starter at QB had -44 yards rushing last year, you don't think they could have used someone who was a true dual-threat at QB if they were anything over decent?

Maybe we have found a diamond in the rough, but I just don't think he is going to be everything that you all are making him out to be.....

jsugamecocks1
July 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I know we can't go to play-offs this year but we are still allowed to be ranked and such So I say what about Perrilloux or the WR transfer from GA Tech Greg Smith
Just wanted to throw those names out for debate

crusader11
July 29th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Dominick Randolph of Holy Cross?

Not the best, but he is right up there. Kid is going to put up MONSTER numbers this year, and will pretty much rewrite the record books in the process.

BDKJMU
July 29th, 2009, 11:59 PM
AE this year, but how about pre-season CAA Offensive Player of the Year, Jr QB, RJ Toman, of UNH for the fall of 2010? Being the projected best offensive player in the best conference in the nation must count for something.

Toman is good, but I don't get picking him over 4 yr UR starting QB Eric Ward.

appmountaineer
July 30th, 2009, 12:06 AM
surprised I have not heard Cameron Higgins thrown in the mix yet.

of course i will say AE this season, but what Higgins did last season was special. If they can get some talent around him this year and next year he could be look at a Payton award winning QB

sorry Weber fans, i'm not really sure what you guys lost or gained this season. Curious to know though.

CrunchGriz
July 30th, 2009, 12:52 AM
surprised I have not heard Cameron Higgins thrown in the mix yet.

of course i will say AE this season, but what Higgins did last season was special. If they can get some talent around him this year and next year he could be look at a Payton award winning QB

sorry Weber fans, i'm not really sure what you guys lost or gained this season. Curious to know though.

Weber State brings back almost all of the offensive talent they had last year: Higgins; Trevyn Smith, who will likely be one of the last 4 players added to the Payton Watch; Tim Toone, one of the top WRs in the country (84 catches, over 1500 receiving yards last year); and Cody Nakamura, a WR/TE hybrid with very good skills, just to name the most obvious stars. They lose Bryant Eteuati, a big threat at WR and returner.

Weber's question marks are on the defensive side, where they lost a lot of starters, but they still have at least a few very good players coming back: safety Beau Hadley, projected to be All-BSC; DE Kevin Linehan, and CB Josh Morris, already on the Buck Buchanan Watch.

WSU also is breaking in an inordinate number of coaches, which may or may not be a problem.

ur2k
July 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Toman is good, but I don't get picking him over 4 yr UR starting QB Eric Ward.

Agreed, but for some reason Ward always gets overlooked. He doesn't have the flashy stats that wins these things - but he just wins games. That's ok if it makes him play with a huge chip on his shoulder.

UNIFanSince1983
July 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I was very very impressed (angered) with Eric Ward last year. He has a ton of moxie and just that swagger that he will not let his team lose a game (like Vince Young at Texas). I am just not sure he is the 'best' player in FCS. He is a great player, however, and I completely agree he gets overlooked.

I am surprised there aren't any defensive players on this list or many wide receivers. I agree AE is probably the best, but who knows what will happen. There could be a star that emerges from somewhere we don't expect.

MasonJar
July 30th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Yosef don't play that! Must have us confused with Furman or Delaware...

drpnut
July 30th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I think we need to give serious consideration to what criteria we are using to judge who "is the best player in FCS."

Is the best player tag given to the best athlete?

Or is the Best player the one who leads his team the farthest?

Or is the best player the one who makes the most out of what he is given to work with(team, etc.)?

Etc....

My friends there can be too much "rationalization". Right now I think AE is the obvious choice, he is a freak of nature... but...

Hollaxconfusedx

DLS
July 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I think we need to give serious consideration to what criteria we are using to judge who "is the best player in FCS."

Or is the best player the one who makes the most out of what he is given to work with(team, etc.)?

Etc....

My friends there can be too much "rationalization". Right now I think AE is the obvious choice, he is a freak of nature... but...

Hollaxconfusedx

“This is his senior year and I’m marking that down on my calendar,” Wofford coach Mike Ayers said of the Mountaineers’ quarterback. “That way, hopefully, I’ll not have as many nightmares about that guy.”

how about who gives the most nightmares to coaches

elcid03
July 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
The person doing the most for his team is The Citadel's Andre Roberts. He was just named to the Payton Watch List, is a 2X All-American and is listed as the #1 FCS NFL prospect for the draft next year. He burnt the Clemson starting defense for 157 yards and 2 touchdowns last year. He also had a 65 punt return with 2 minutes left last year to win the game against UTC. He has young guys around him and will be helping them along to make imoprovements for the future of Citadel footbal. I know it is homerish to say, I just want to give this young man his due. Just my .02

Aho_Old_Guy
July 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Etc....

Hollaxconfusedx

Pretty much this.

If Appalachian stumbles a bit who's not to say someone like Matt Nichols if he has a monster year and EW runs the table. Success and a surprise element can go a long way.

Or Chase Reynolds rushes for 2,000+ yards and scores 30 TDs and the Griz whoop everyone's butt.

It may not seem fair but I'm pretty much best player with monster stats-best team. There is no 'I' in team - but there is one in wIn - xlolx - Just win, baby!

AppAlum2003
July 30th, 2009, 11:33 AM
The person doing the most for his team is The Citadel's Andre Roberts. He was just named to the Payton Watch List, is a 2X All-American and is listed as the #1 FCS NFL prospect for the draft next year. He burnt the Clemson starting defense for 157 yards and 2 touchdowns last year. He also had a 65 punt return with 2 minutes left last year to win the game against UTC. He has young guys around him and will be helping them along to make imoprovements for the future of Citadel footbal. I know it is homerish to say, I just want to give this young man his due. Just my .02

Agreed that Roberts is special, but Cortez Gilbert completely shut him down last year. The best player in FCS does not get shut down.

ur2k
July 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
“This is his senior year and I’m marking that down on my calendar,” Wofford coach Mike Ayers said of the Mountaineers’ quarterback. “That way, hopefully, I’ll not have as many nightmares about that guy.”

how about who gives the most nightmares to coaches

Speaking of nightmares, do you think Armanti Edwards still has nightmares about Patrick Weldon #39 chasing him down?

/ ducks xsmiley_wix

Just kidding. I do think AE is the best player at this level. I think he and Sczur from Nova are 2 of the most exciting players to watch b/c you have no clue what's coming next.

jmufan999
July 30th, 2009, 12:53 PM
i'm not reading 5 pages about this.

i guess it comes down to how you define "best". person who wins the WP award? or the best NFL prospect? Rodney Landers finished 2nd in the WP voting, ahead of Ramses Barden. but Barden is obviously an NFL caliber player while Rodney is not.

so assuming we're saying "best" meaning, "who will win the WP award".... it's almost always a QB. only been a WR once, if i remember right... Brian Finneran of Villanova. so if it's 90% likely that it's a QB, i really like Cameron Higgins. i actually think he's got a shot this year. he put up pretty sick numbers last year as a sophomore (right?).

elcid03
July 30th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Didn't Presbyterian shut down AE last year? I seem to believe that was your big "scare" of the year and the amount of "pissed offness" that you guys had towards that game.

hapapp
July 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Didn't Presbyterian shut down AE last year? I seem to believe that was your big "scare" of the year and the amount of "pissed offness" that you guys had towards that game.

Passing Att-Cmp-Int Yds TD Long Sack
--------------------------------------------
Armanti Edwards 23-12-0 220 1 72 1

I also believe he ran for 51 yards on 8 carries.

ASU won 48-14 with almost 700 total yards. AE only played 3 quarters of the game.

coover
July 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hey, isn't this thread to decide who may be the best FCS player, not the best FCS player on the East Coast, or the best FCS player in the CAA? I haven't seen much, here, on Big Sky or Great West Schools, and they, certainly have some of the best FCS players in the nation. The QB at Davis looks great, and Montana will have a monster line and backfield. Perhaps the best will come from there. Certainly Edwards from Appy is an excellent candidate, but he is not the only one.

HenZoneNation
July 30th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I think Coover makes an excellent point. AE plays a position that gets a lot of attention and there is no doubt that he is a very good FCS QB. That being said, he's not at the same level that Pat White was (they are very similiar QB's) and White went in the second round and according to most reports on the NFL channel on Sirius White's a Wild Cat QB and a WR in most other packages. I know that this is a question solely based on college play, however, doesn't the play and evaluation of a player determine how good they really are? If you look at recent history, there will most likely be 2-3 players from the FCS that are taken before him. Maybe more. They may not have the hype or be in a position to post the stats that AE does but wouldn't that suggest that they are better than AE? The reporters on the NFL channel have been saying for weeks that Vick is a great athlete, not a great QB. Can the same be said for AE?

AE beat Joe Flacco in 07...who will end up being the better QB overall? I can't see any NFL team taking AE over Flacco. AE is a great athlete, I don't know if he's the best qb never mind best player in the FCS.

Just food for thought.

Spider
July 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Eric Ward, just keeps getting the job done. Will be playing on Sunday's next year....xthumbsupx

UNIFanSince1983
July 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM
The college game and NFL game are very very different. I think some of how well you project in the NFL determines how great of a player you are. That, however, should not be the sole determinant in this. There have been plenty of great NFL players who weren't the best in college, and plenty of great college players who never made it in the NFL.

DX Man
July 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM

NO! xnonox

DLS
July 31st, 2009, 08:06 AM
I think Coover makes an excellent point. AE plays a position that gets a lot of attention and there is no doubt that he is a very good FCS QB. That being said, he's not at the same level that Pat White was (they are very similiar QB's) and White went in the second round and according to most reports on the NFL channel on Sirius White's a Wild Cat QB and a WR in most other packages. I know that this is a question solely based on college play, however, doesn't the play and evaluation of a player determine how good they really are? If you look at recent history, there will most likely be 2-3 players from the FCS that are taken before him. Maybe more. They may not have the hype or be in a position to post the stats that AE does but wouldn't that suggest that they are better than AE? The reporters on the NFL channel have been saying for weeks that Vick is a great athlete, not a great QB. Can the same be said for AE?

AE beat Joe Flacco in 07...who will end up being the better QB overall? I can't see any NFL team taking AE over Flacco. AE is a great athlete, I don't know if he's the best qb never mind best player in the FCS.

Just food for thought.

as far as the vick is a great athlete and not qb thing goes, i believe that is half true and half because he is black and thats what the media wants to portray.

i like comparing white to edwards for a couple reasons:
1. he throws better than white
2. he might not be as fast at white but he runs north/south more which is overall better for the nfl

comparing edwards to flacco is stupid. that 07 game flacco was going up against the app defense not AE. also they are in two very different offenses.

i dont believe the wildcat is going away, at least not for awhile and AE will be one of the best wildcat qb's in the 2010 draft. of course nfl's view of him will mostly depend on the performance pat white puts on this year.

ElonPride
July 31st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Four players come to my mind:

Eric Ward
Armanti Edwards
Terrell Hudgins
Andre Roberts

ASU_MBA
September 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Dude, you have lost it.

Smart Man....this was weeks ago...

jus10asu
September 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Smart Man....this was weeks ago...

I second that...I have much respect for DP but Cadet may have stolen the job after this Saturday.

ericsaid
September 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Travaris Cadet next year and AE this year.

TC is so explosive and ECU could not take him down at all.

SuperJon
September 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Never saw this thread but I'd just like to point out that Mike Brown had 11 catches for 157 yards and a touchdown, a rushing touchdown, and 107 yards on three kick returns.

Against West Virginia.

jmufan999
September 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
With football season right around the corner I was wondering two things:

1) Who do you think is the best FCS player this year?

2) Who do you think will be the best FCS player next year?

I have a feeling that a lot of people will put AE for this year and wanted to make it more interesting so I added future stars to the discussion.

you guys realize no one has EVER won the WP award twice, right? a list that includes McNair, Westbrook, and the other A. Peterson...

not saying he WON'T, but the odds are against him. if it's close, they'll give it to someone else. they do the same thing with the Heisman.

doesn't have to be fair, just the way it is.

Big Dawg
September 6th, 2009, 01:45 PM
FAMU QB Curtis Pulley threw went 12-19 for 140 yards and rushed for 196 yards, last night.

bjtheflamesfan
September 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I got a name for you guys...Mike Brown. Yesterday against WVU he caught 11 passes for 157 yards and a TD, added another TD rushing and had three KO returns for 107 yards. oh and he is also the backup QB too (didnt attempt a pass yesterday but that is because he was all over the field in the other areas)

Skjellyfetti
September 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM
you guys realize no one has EVER won the WP award twice, right? a list that includes McNair, Westbrook, and the other A. Peterson...

not saying he WON'T, but the odds are against him. if it's close, they'll give it to someone else. they do the same thing with the Heisman.

doesn't have to be fair, just the way it is.

Well, to be fair... Brian Westbrook and Adrian Peterson were playing at the same time... and won the awards over each other. 2001 probably had the best field for the Payton ever. Tony Romo, Westbrook, Peterson.

appfan2008
September 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
AE is the best player this year... next will be anyones guess...

DX Man
September 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
This year it is Armanti Edwardsxthumbsupx

Next year it will be Travaris Cadetxpeacex