PDA

View Full Version : New UCA President: Athletes is the Front Porch

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM
There's no question that UCA has had their struggles in the transition, namely due to some on-campus issues which I am sure our friends from the Conway, Ark. area can explain better than I. However, it is good that the "new blood" at the top of the food chain gets it.

Worth noting - one of his children played football at Elon and he's one of the individuals responsible for football at UNC-Pembroke...

“If you think of a house, sports is kinda like the front porch,” he said. “No one thinks of the front porch as the most important part of a house, obviously. The kitchen, the living quarters are the most important parts of a house. But when people drive by your house, they see your porch. They don’t see your kitchen; they don’t see your living room; they don’t see your library; they don’t see your bedrooms. That makes it very important that your porch has everything in order.”

http://www.thecabin.net/news/local/2009-07-25/new-uca-president-taking-front-porch-philosophy-athletics

BEAR
July 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM
He's right. His immense and charitable past has got him as an organizer who wll do things right.

UCA will first get private donations to go up. Then they will schedule a few more pay games. Then they will have the ammunition to go to the student body and say athletic fees are going up. But raising athletic fees without any effort on the part of the department to raise more money would be suicide in the local media. xnodx I forsee big donations and higher student fees. xlolx

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 03:54 PM
How restricted are the laws and related regulations in the state of Arkansas pertaining to student athletic fees? We've seen how it has held back the schools in Louisiana for a long time. Should we expect once UCA has completed their transition and with potential fees, as a school that should put some "breathing room" between those in La...?

BEAR
July 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Once the transition is finished and the new prez and AD Teague put forth a fund drive there should be no more issues with $ that should be contraversial. I don't think there is a limit on student fees for athletics as some college in Arkansas have double the fees as UCA. Harding or Henderson State I believe have much higher $ requests of their students.

JoshUCA
July 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I found the minutes for our Board of Trustees from May 2009 and our athletic fee will be $14.00 (per credit hour) this year...up from $13.00 last year Link (http://www.uca.edu/divisions/admin/board/documents/090508botminutes.pdf) (Page 3). I thought I remembered seeing some kind of comparison for all the fees from Arkansas universities somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now.

BEAR
July 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM
ASU-Jonesboro has a $12/hr per semester.
UA-Monticello is $3/hr per semester.
SAU is $165 a year.
UCA has for 6 hours of graduate work an $84 fee per semester. Full time undergraduate I have no idea.

Here's the breakdown on ticket price increases for UCA..especially football and basketball.

Football and basketball:
2009-$13 general
2010- $14 general
2011- $15 general

Just $1 a year per seat. If the games sell an average of 10k seats per game, not necessarily attedance, then that's at least 50k more per year with 5 home games in football. Basketball is a who knows situation.

BEAR
July 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I found the minutes for our Board of Trustees from May 2009 and our athletic fee will be $14.00 (per credit hour) this year...up from $13.00 last year Link (http://www.uca.edu/divisions/admin/board/documents/090508botminutes.pdf) (Page 3). I thought I remembered seeing some kind of comparison for all the fees from Arkansas universities somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now.

15 hours is full time so 15 x 14 = 210 per semester per student.
If 10,000 students are full time with 3k part time that brings the total to $2,100,000 per semester for full time and $378,000 for part time students. NOT enough to run a budget of $5-$7 million needed to field the teams. xeekx

Now add ticket sales, merchandise, food profits minus staff, coaches salaries, etc...xlolx