PDA

View Full Version : NCAA / Major Pro Sports Leagues Sue Delaware

93henfan
July 24th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Looks like the expected lawsuit has/will be filed today, led by the NCAA, NFL, and the other major sports leagues:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090724/NEWS/90724017/Leagues+sue+to+stop+Del.+sports+betting

Led by the National Football League, America’s major sports leagues and the National Collegiate Athletic Association will jointly sue Delaware today to block sports betting here, an NFL source said...

bluehenbillk
July 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Much ado about nothing, it was only a matter of time & will provide the expected ruling. They won't even get an injunction. It's been decided on twice already.

gmoney55
July 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hypocrites.

tribe_pride
July 24th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Why are they suing Delaware but not Nevada? (this is a real question - at a minimum what is their rationale behind suing 1 and not the other (haven't read the lawsuit so I'm not going to guess about the grounds for a suit))

Lehigh Football Nation
July 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Much ado about nothing, it was only a matter of time & will provide the expected ruling. They won't even get an injunction. It's been decided on twice already.

I love how folks seem to think it's "much ado about nothing", as if lawsuits from the NCAA and major sports leagues happen all the time in their states. Or that US Senators (Hatch and Kyl) feel the need to weigh in.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that there's no worries in Hentown that the NCAA has put their name on this lawsuit. This from the same folks who thought it was a fait accompli that the NCAA was going to back off from their threats of yanking playoff games. If they're indeed "backing down", why are they putting their name on the lawsuit?

GannonFan
July 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I love how folks seem to think it's "much ado about nothing", as if lawsuits from the NCAA and major sports leagues happen all the time in their states. Or that US Senators (Hatch and Kyl) feel the need to weigh in.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that there's no worries in Hentown that the NCAA has put their name on this lawsuit. This from the same folks who thought it was a fait accompli that the NCAA was going to back off from their threats of yanking playoff games. If they're indeed "backing down", why are they putting their name on the lawsuit?

Huh? How does the NCAA deciding perhaps not to punish student athletes who had nothing to do with the legislation, have anything to do with the NCAA's general stance towards gambling? Of course the NCAA is going to go along with the lawsuit - if the NCAA could, they would love to stop Vegas from sports betting as well, but that obviously won't happen. But of course the NCAA wants to stop the spread of gambling. I'm sure they'll be a party in opposition to New Jersey's attempt to overturn the 1992 law as well. But none of that has anything to do with the NCAA re-evaluating it's position on using student athletes as de facto hostages as a way to convince lawmakers to do something different. That and the fact that Montana got thrown into the whole broo-hah-hah as well.

aust42
July 24th, 2009, 05:12 PM
The NCAA argues that "Delaware's sports betting plan 'would irreparably harm professional and amateur sports by fostering suspicion and skepticism that individual plays and final scores of games may have been influenced by factors other than honest athletic competition,' the leagues and NCAA said in a lawsuit filed in federal court in Delaware."

This whole argument is laughable considering the easy access of sports betting via the internet. Anyone with Internet access can set up an account in the Caribbean and gamble on college sports. Despite congress effort to stop people using credit cards and pay pal to set up said accounts, now all you need is a phone card to establish an account. Look no further than the Toledo football and basketball teams recent point shaving scandals. The state of Ohio does not have legalized sports betting yet dishonest collegiate competition happened there.

YoUDeeMan
July 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
The NCAA argues that "Delaware's sports betting plan 'would irreparably harm professional and amateur sports by fostering suspicion and skepticism that individual plays and final scores of games may have been influenced by factors other than honest athletic competition,' the leagues and NCAA said in a lawsuit filed in federal court in Delaware."

Is anyone not laughing at that statement? xeyebrowx

How can Delaware's sports betting "irreparably harm" sports? If that were so, then sports have already been "irreparably" harmed by Vegas. xeyebrowx

Hoyadestroya85
July 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM
The frivolity of this suit absolutely blows my mind. I'd much rather have sports books in control of professionals than a bunch of kids with spiky hair on college campuses.