PDA

View Full Version : S. Utah 2009

TBirdz
July 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has the same belief that my beloved SUU Thunderbirds could be one of the next FCS teams to make the jump toward the upper echelon of the division. When you take into account the excellent location between Vegas and Salt Lake, the population growth the area is experiencing and about to experience (experts predict S. Utah to have a population just short of a million in the future), and the coaching and administration in place now, I think they are primed to take a big leap just like JMU did in the early 2000's. I personally think they compare a lot to Texas St. A lot of speculation has them predicted to join the Big Sky in the future or even the Big West if it ever brought back football. I would love to see them ignore all the conference that have looked past them for so long, and potentially join a restored FBS Southwestern Conference. CUSA drops all the CUSA West schools and picks up all of the Southern Conference, Big South, and CAA schools that want to make the jump up to FBS. I am sure there would be some reshuffling with the Sun Belt there too, with some realigning there. The Southwestern Conference could be all of the CUSA West schools, LA Tech, North Texas, Texas St., UTSA, New Mexico St., and S. Utah. Georgraphyically this would make a lot of sense. The WAC could then pick up Cal Poly, UC Davis and any of the Big Sky schools that want to make the jump. Just thought I'd throw this all out here to discuss.

darell1976
July 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has the same belief that my beloved SUU Thunderbirds could be one of the next FCS teams to make the jump toward the upper echelon of the division. When you take into account the excellent location between Vegas and Salt Lake, the population growth the area is experiencing and about to experience (experts predict S. Utah to have a population just short of a million in the future), and the coaching and administration in place now, I think they are primed to take a big leap just like JMU did in the early 2000's. I personally think they compare a lot to Texas St. A lot of speculation has them predicted to join the Big Sky in the future or even the Big West if it ever brought back football. I would love to see them ignore all the conference that have looked past them for so long, and potentially join a restored FBS Southwestern Conference. CUSA drops all the CUSA West schools and picks up all of the Southern Conference, Big South, and CAA schools that want to make the jump up to FBS. I am sure there would be some reshuffling with the Sun Belt there too, with some realigning there. The Southwestern Conference could be all of the CUSA West schools, LA Tech, North Texas, Texas St., UTSA, New Mexico St., and S. Utah. Georgraphyically this would make a lot of sense. The WAC could then pick up Cal Poly, UC Davis and any of the Big Sky schools that want to make the jump. Just thought I'd throw this all out here to discuss.

If they can stay above the attendance requirement i say go for it, there are teams in the FBS that don't draw a lot of people and should step down and make room for the teams that draw great crowds (cause great crowds = $$$$$ in the eyes of the NCAA!!) Maybe in 10 or 20 years UND will look at the move there are some that say NDSU could make a jump up and they have the building to do it where UND would need to move or renavate the Alerus Center.

TBirdz
July 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Better mention that I too think if SUU were to ever more up it will be after the growth of the area. They are nowhere near where they need to be. I just believe that the program and the university are headed in the right direction. We will see how far it has come in a little over a month. If S. Utah grows, SUU grows, then who knows, maybe they would be a possibility for a conference such as a restored Southwest in the future.

Thundar
July 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
I just think its cool there are getting to be more SUU fans on here!!!xthumbsupx

oh yeah SUU has a LOONNGGG ways to go before even thinking about FBS football IMO, but you do have to have goalsxpeacex