PDA

View Full Version : Voting - Preseason Polls

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM
What's the deal? It seems like every time there is a preseason poll that has coaches or media casting ballots, there's some very awkward votes.

For instance, in today's SWAC release - you have a very heavy AAMU/JSU vote in the SWAC East, with two random votes for Alcorn State, who did not fare so well on any other ballots. Same goes for UAPB in the SWAC West.

Eastern Division
Jackson State (13) 103 pts
Alabama A&M (8) 95
Alabama State 56
Miss. Valley St. 46
Alcorn State (2) 45

Western Division
Grambling State (14) 104 pts
Southern (5) 86
Prairie View A&M (3) 76
Texas Southern 43
Arkansas-Pine Bluff (1) 36

Same can not be said for the Big Sky poll where all the votes went Montana or Eastern Washington - but you better believe, we'll see it elsewhere. We do every year.

And no SWAC fans, your conference is not the only ones who did this. Just the first "guilty party" this preseason. I'll try to make sure to post others as they come out!

coover
July 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
Coaches will frequently not vote for their team, particularly in pre-season or early season polls.

I'll never forget my former high-school coach come in to the dressing room during half-time when our team was down to a team all the polls said we should easily beat. "Read about yourself" he said as he threw newspapers all over the dressing room. "See how great you are" he roared.

Coaches do not want their athletes to think that they can win "just by showing up".

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 08:53 PM
This was more in reference to individuals who vote an "oddball" first when no one else does by overwhelming margins, possibly trying to help their own cause at being at the top of the preseason polls...

See it all the time...

ngineer
July 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately a lot of people play games with polls to effect rivals as well.