PDA

View Full Version : Playoff contenders

drpnut
July 21st, 2009, 07:11 AM
I know this is early but let's have a little pre-season fun-- Name your early play-off contenders.

I"ll start (and this is in no particular order):

UNI
SoIll
West. Illi
SDSU

Appy
Woffy
Elon
GaSouth

SC State
FAMU

EKU
Tenn. Martin

Colgate
Lehigh

JMU
UNH
Richmond
Villy
Bill and Mary
UMass

TxSTate
Nicholls ST.
Cal Poly

Holla

FCS Go!
July 21st, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'll go out on a limb and predict that Montana will be a playoff contender this year.

BDKJMU
July 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
I know this is early but let's have a little pre-season fun-- Name your early play-off contenders.

UNI
SoIll
West. Illi
SDSU

Appy
Woffy
Elon
GaSouth

SC State
FAMU

EKU
Tenn. Martin

Colgate
Lehigh

JMU
UNH
Richmond
Villy
Bill and Mary
UMass

TxSTate
Nicholls ST.
Cal Poly

Holla

So-Con: I'm sure my So-Con brethren will tell you you can add Furman, and possibly Samford and the Citadel to the So-Con list. From what I've heard, ASU is everyone's 1st pick, and the next 4-6 teams its a crap shoot.

CAA: Add in UD. The whole CAA South with the exception of Towson are playoff contenders.

Patriot: I've read where some Patriot people have said Holy Cross is the favorite.

Big Skyxconfusedx Hello, you forgot them:
Montana
Weber State
EWU would be, but they are on probation & not allowed to compete in the playoffs this season.

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2009, 08:31 AM
So-Con: I'm sure my So-Con brethren will tell you you can add Furman, and possibly Samford and the Citadel to the So-Con list. From what I've heard, ASU is everyone's 1st pick, and the next 4-6 teams its a crap shoot.

CAA: Add in UD. The whole CAA South with the exception of Towson are playoff contenders.

Patriot: I've read where some Patriot people have said Holy Cross is the favorite.

Big Skyxconfusedx Hello, you forgot them:
Montana
Weber State
EWU would be, but they are on probation & not allowed to compete in the playoffs this season.

Samford will be good, but not playoff good. They return a lot of players but they hit the road a lot and won't sneak up on teams this year.

Furman I think has an equally good shot at the playoffs as the GSU, Elon, Woffy crowd. Again, with Furman's recent additions could make them a very dangerous team...no one really knows.

The Citadel needs to bounce back. They were picked as a playoff contender last year and got taken to the woodshed repeatedly in conference play. They have talent, but not as much as the aforementioned.

jmufan999
July 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM

i don't really know anything about Samford, so i'll take your word there. furman is a solid enough program that they're dangerous in many (if not most) years.

not so sure about The Citadel. they've only made the playoffs in 1988, 1990, and 1992. i think it will be very, very tough for them to make it in that conference. yes, i know about roberts.

i agree with you on the caa south.

Big Cats
July 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM
Western Illinois will NOT be a playoff contender.

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 08:58 AM
TxSTate
Nicholls ST.

You may be the only one to have the Colonels in the mix for the playoffs. I think TXST, McN and perhaps NWST will be the three teams that are in the argument for the SLC title midway through the season (with UCA also there - but we know that situation). SLU could be a spoiler.

elon77
July 21st, 2009, 09:12 AM
The summer before the season starts, isn't everyone a playoff contender? xconfusedx

GannonFan
July 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM
The summer before the season starts, isn't everyone a playoff contender? xconfusedx

Well, Del St's already lost one conference game (forfeit to NC A&T) and one OOC game (at Michigan) so while not technically out of the playoffs, Del St starts the season already on the edge of being eliminated. xthumbsupx

GaSouthern
July 21st, 2009, 09:36 AM
Furman should at least be a fringe playoff team. I think GSU will be as well. The winner of the GSU / FU game might be the one to make it this year vs. the loser.

McNeese75
July 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
xnottalkingx Your are right, it is too early and your predictions support that xlolx

drpnut
July 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Sorry to my Big Sky friends... I did not puposefully leave you off

Montana
Weber St.
Montana St.

add Furman

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2009, 10:01 AM
In order of their chances to make the playoffs ...

1. Montana
2. App State
3. SCSU
4. UNI
5. SIU
6. Holy Cross
7. UNH
8. Richmond
9. 'Nova
10. JMU
11. Elon
12. Wofford
13. Weber State
14. William and Mary
15. Georgia Southern
16. Furman
17. Delaware
18. Hofstra
19. UMass
20. Colgate

Obviously done with the teams who are in auto-bid conferences and likely to win at the top (hence Holy Cross and SCSU where they are) and also with UR and 'Nova down the list at 7 and 8 (because of the strength of the CAA South) and the other CAA teams

RichH2
July 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Cant opine on other conferences with any confidence but Patriot probably s/b Holy Cross as favorite with Lehigh, Colgate and Lafayette very very tight behind HC

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 10:09 AM

1. Montana
Agreed. I can't think of a scenario where they don't make the playoffs. xcoolx

FCS_Fan
July 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM

1. Montana
2. App State
3. SCSU
4. UNI
5. SIU
6. Holy Cross
7. UNH
8. Richmond
9. 'Nova
10. JMU
11. Elon
12. Wofford
13. Weber State
14. William and Mary
15. Georgia Southern
16. Furman
17. Delaware
18. Hofstra
19. UMass
20. Colgate

Obviously done with the teams who are in auto-bid conferences and likely to win at the top (hence Holy Cross and SCSU where they are) and also with UR and 'Nova down the list at 7 and 8 (because of the strength of the CAA South) and the other CAA teams

Who is your Auto Bid for the OVC or did I miss it? Sorry if I did.

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Furman should at least be a fringe playoff team. I think GSU will be as well. The winner of the GSU / FU game might be the one to make it this year vs. the loser.

See, that's where this season is a complete unknown. I thought Furman was a fringe playoff team before the additions of Forcier and Maples. Granted, those two players may just be warm bodies to throw out there, but at the same time they may be Ingle Martin-like impact players.

Either way, if I were Presbyterian's defensive coordinator I wouldn't have a bloody clue what to expect when the season opens. FU could come out running option up and down the field, or spead their receivers out and throw all over the field. At this point, I don't even think the coaches know what they have just yet.

jmufan999
July 21st, 2009, 10:33 AM

1. Montana
2. App State
3. SCSU
4. UNI
5. SIU
6. Holy Cross
7. UNH
8. Richmond
9. 'Nova
10. JMU
11. Elon
12. Wofford
13. Weber State
14. William and Mary
15. Georgia Southern
16. Furman
17. Delaware
18. Hofstra
19. UMass
20. Colgate

can't argue with that list. might even put UNH up a bit higher, just seems like the North division has been less competitive the last few years. the North winner will make the playoffs pretty much every year, and they should be right up there. returning 9 starters on defense won't hurt, either.

SUUTbird
July 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM
My Picks for teams that have a shot at the playoffs in 2009:

BIG SKY:
-Montana (need i say anything else?)
-Weber State (To good to keep out)
-EWU (Ban could possibly be lifted)

BIG SOUTH:
-Liberty (Should have been in them last year instead of Maine)

CAA:
-Delaware (Now that they got a QB hens have a shot in 09)
-JMU (Return plenty of talent to get the job done)
-Maine (Just got in last year, possible higher seeding in weaker north division)
-Villanova (Easily best team in the sense of returning players)
-New Hampshire (Wildcats O needs to preform)
-Richmond (Good enough to get their this year)

GREAT WEST:
-Cal Poly (Offensive ? needs to be answered)
-SUU (A little based of Bias and skill returning for SUU)

MEAC:
-South Carolina State (Last years CONF. Champs will do so again this year)

MVC:
-UNI (Panthers are the team to beat)
-South Dakota State (Was very underated last year)
-Southern Illinois (Has the weapons to get it done)
-North Dakota State (Get a QB= a better season)

NEC:
-Albany (Very underated team last year, chance to surprise)

OVC:
-Eastern Kentucky (Alot of talent returning plus 7 FBS transfers)
-Jacksonville State (Need to win the close games in 09)

PATRIOT:
-Colgate (Only team worth mentioning in 08)
-Holy Cross (How much will loss of star QB affect them?)

SOCON:
-App State (Talent returning, can they win at Wofford?)
-Wofford (Weapons to get it done, can they beat App State?)
-Elon (can they get over the hump and win games the need to?)

SOUTHLAND:
-Central Arkansas (Very good team, can finally get into playoffs in 09)
-Texas State (Always in the running)
-Mcneese State (need to win the close games)

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Would be great to have a new team in the playoffs, but I don't think you have a schedule that is going to allow for a playoff push. Do games against UND and USD count as DI this year? If not, you only have 8 games against DI. Even if they do count, San Diego State and Utah State are most likely losses which makes it tough to get to 9-2. I think it will be tough for SUU to even get back to 4-7 of last year.

Cobblestone
July 21st, 2009, 10:59 AM
We'll be playoff contenders.

someday. xsmhx

Bam
July 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM
JSU in the OVC cannot contend. Probation.

UNHWildCats
July 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM
We'll be playoff contenders.

someday. xsmhx
Would URI be playoff contenders if they played in Division III of the Rhode Island Interscholastic League xlolx

JMU Newbill
July 21st, 2009, 11:11 AM
How many 3 & 4 loss teams will get in from the CAA and SoCon? That's what I want to know (could JMU be one of them?)

matt01621
July 21st, 2009, 11:15 AM

He's back for a 5th year after getting a red shirt for his freshman year.

crusader11
July 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
PATRIOT:

You couldn't be more off target. Holy Cross looks to be the favorite with Randolph returning and one of the best offenses in the country. Colgate is probably a close second with Lehigh and Lafayette not too far behind. I really think Lehigh could be a darkhorse this year with JB Clark having a big season at quarterback.

elon77
July 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Well, Del St's already lost one conference game (forfeit to NC A&T) and one OOC game (at Michigan) so while not technically out of the playoffs, Del St starts the season already on the edge of being eliminated. xthumbsupx

But, couldn't they win their conference and get an automatic berth? Doesn't the MEAAC get an auto berth?

T-Dog
July 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
But, couldn't they win their conference and get an automatic berth? Doesn't the MEAAC get an auto berth?

Yes but South Carolina State are the big favorites to win the MEAC as well they should be.

DFW HOYA
July 21st, 2009, 12:15 PM
You couldn't be more off target. Holy Cross looks to be the favorite with Randolph returning and one of the best offenses in the country. Colgate is probably a close second with Lehigh and Lafayette not too far behind. I really think Lehigh could be a darkhorse this year with JB Clark having a big season at quarterback.

Now for the other three...

BEAR
July 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM

BIG SKY:
-Montana (need i say anything else?)
-Weber State (To good to keep out)
-EWU (Ban could possibly be lifted)

BIG SOUTH:

CAA:
-Maine (Just got in last year, possible higher seeding in weaker north division)

GREAT WEST:
-Cal Poly (Offensive ? needs to be answered)

MEAC:
-South Carolina State (Last years CONF. Champs will do so again this year)

MVC:
-UNI (Panthers are the team to beat)
-South Dakota State (Was very underated last year)
-Southern Illinois (Has the weapons to get it done)
-North Dakota State (Get a QB= a better season)

NEC:
-Albany (Very underated team last year, chance to surprise)

OVC:
-Eastern Kentucky (Alot of talent returning plus 7 FBS transfers)
-Jacksonville State (Need to win the close games in 09)

PATRIOT:

SOCON:
-App State (Talent returning, can they win at Wofford?)
-Wofford (Weapons to get it done, can they beat App State?)
-Elon (can they get over the hump and win games the need to?)

SOUTHLAND:
-Central Arkansas (Very good team, can finally get into playoffs in 09)
-Texas State (Always in the running)
-Mcneese State (need to win the close games)

Not Quite! Eligible in 2010..next year. But I do like your confidence in that perennial top 15 transitional team! xthumbsupxxlolx

tribe_pride
July 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM

CAA:

Not even a shot for W&M? They should have at least as good of a shot as Delaware and maybe Maine.

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
How many 3 & 4 loss teams will get in from the CAA and SoCon? That's what I want to know (could JMU be one of them?)

History seems to suggest zero for the SoCon. The SoCon is shaping up to a be a blood bath this year. The conference champ may have two conference losses. You would think after the years of SoCon success in the playoffs that the committee would take a flyer on a third SoCon team over, say, a 5th CAA team or a team from a non-bid conference with a good record. Doesn't seem like that will be the case though.

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Not even a shot for W&M? They should have at least as good of a shot as Delaware and maybe Maine.
If not better. xthumbsupx

LUHawker
July 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM

Randolph may, in fact, carry Holy Cross on his back to the PL title this year, although he hasn't been able to do it the past two years, and I think he had more support than this year.

I agree that Lehigh is a darkhorse this year. More of a "show-me" story, so don't expect early season top 25 votes, unless they score a major upset of Nova.

I-AA Fan
July 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
can't argue with that list. might even put UNH up a bit higher, just seems like the North division has been less competitive the last few years. the North winner will make the playoffs pretty much every year, and they should be right up there. returning 9 starters on defense won't hurt, either.

Do any of you CAA fans realize how you sound ...post after post? "Can't argue" with a list that almost half of it is comprised of A-10/CAA teams. Yet some how the strongest conference in the country (at least equal to the CAA) can only muster 2? No, there is absolutely no bias on this board at all ...LOL. It was just a few years ago when the only OOC teams you ever played were Ivy and PL. Have we officially changed the board's name yet? AGSitCAA

Sorry ...it needed to be said.

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2009, 01:04 PM
Do any of you CAA fans realize how you sound ...post after post? "Can't argue" with a list that almost half of it is comprised of A-10/CAA teams. Yet some how the strongest conference in the country (at least equal to the CAA) can only muster 2? No, there is absolutely no bias on this board at all ...LOL. It was just a few years ago when the only OOC teams you ever played were Ivy and PL. Have we officially changed the board's name yet? AGSitCAA

Couldn't agree more. No way in hell CAA deserves all the bids they have been getting. CAA is a tremendous conf., maybe the best year in and year out, but I'm sorry, you're not 2-3 bids better than the Socon and MVC. But I suppose as long as the selection committe is impressed with wins over IVY, NEC, and Patriot League teams, CAA will keep churning out 4-5 bid seasons. xnonono2x

terrierbob
July 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
History seems to suggest zero for the SoCon. The SoCon is shaping up to a be a blood bath this year. The conference champ may have two conference losses. You would think after the years of SoCon success in the playoffs that the committee would take a flyer on a third SoCon team over, say, a 5th CAA team or a team from a non-bid conference with a good record. Doesn't seem like that will be the case though.

Given a 5th, 6th, or 105th CAA choice, the committee would Woof the entire SoCon.

leatherneck177
July 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Western Illinois will NOT be a playoff contender.

I had such high hopes. Well I guess there is always next year!

ur2k
July 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Couldn't agree more. No way in hell CAA deserves all the bids they have been getting. CAA is a tremendous conf., maybe the best year in and year out, but I'm sorry, you're not 2-3 bids better than the Socon and MVC. But I suppose as long as the selection committe is impressed with wins over IVY, NEC, and Patriot League teams, CAA will keep churning out 4-5 bid seasons. xnonono2x

You sound angry. Please elaborate on why the CAA is not deserving of what they've gotten over the last few years. You can probably argue with Maine last year but who was more deserving than them (W&M maybe Liberty)?

The playoff record seems to be pretty good - the last few national champs consist of App State and 3 (different) CAA teams.

Dukie95
July 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM

He was agreeing with a list that had 8 CAA teams and 5 Socon Teams. The list, by the way, is likely playoff contenders, not a ranking.

The CAA South is going to be very competitive and it's fair to say that any team, save Towson, has a chance at the playoffs. And we know that we'll get at least one team in from the North. That's easily 6 teams right there (THAT WILL CONTEND). If you really feel the SoCon can go that deep for playoff contending teams, list them.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM
He was agreeing with a list that had 8 CAA teams and 5 Socon Teams. The list, by the way, is likely playoff contenders, not a ranking.

The CAA South is going to be very competitive and it's fair to say that any team, save Towson, has a chance at the playoffs. And we know that we'll get at least one team in from the North. That's easily 6 teams right there (THAT WILL CONTEND). If you really feel the SoCon can go that deep for playoff contending teams, list them.

Yeah, if you're referring to my list, it was by no means a ranking, but a "chances of making the playoffs" list .. hence the reasons I had SCSU up there so high as well as Holy Cross. I had so many CAA teams on there to indicate that there would be a tough battle, particularly between the 5 teams (sans Towson) in the CAA South who will be battling for the playoffs, not suggesting that all 5 days from the south WILL be in the playoffs...

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM

1. Montana
2. App State
3. SCSU
4. UNI
5. Eastern Kentucky
6. SIU
7. Holy Cross
8. UNH
9. Richmond
10. 'Nova
11. JMU
12. Elon
13. Wofford
14. Weber State
15. William and Mary
16. Georgia Southern
17. Furman
18. Delaware
19. Hofstra
20. UMass
21. Colgate
22. Lehigh

tribe_pride
July 21st, 2009, 02:01 PM

Last year the CAA was 4 - 1 in the first round.

CAA's 5th team (Maine) was beaten out at MVC's tied for 1st.
CAA's tied for 3rd team (Richmond) won it all beating out OVC's 1, at Southern's 1, at MVC's tied for 1, and Big Sky's 1 (neutral).
CAA's tied for 3rd team (UNH) won at MVC's 1, and loses at MVC's other 1.
CAA's 2nd team (Nova) won v. Patriot's 1 and lost at CAA's 1.
CAA's 1st team (JMU) won v. Southern's 2, won v. CAA's 2, and lost v. Big Sky's 1.

Could there be an argument that CAA's 5th team should not have made it over others? Sure but the fact that the CAA 3/4 team who needed to beat CAA's 6th team (maybe should have been 5th team) in OT just to make the playoffs won the whole thing shows that the CAA deserved a minimum of 4 teams last year. Southern's only other possibility lost 3 of its last 4 including the last one by 23 points to another playoff contender. MVC had nobody else that was eligible. Personally I think that W&M should have gotten in before Maine but that's for another argument.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Big Sky:
1) Montana
Weber State

CAA:
2) UNH
3) Villanova
Richmond
James Madison
William and Mary

MEAC:
SCSU

MVFC:
4) UNI
SIU

OVF:
EKU

Patriot:
Holy Cross

SoCon:
Appalachian State
Elon
Wofford

Southland:
Texas State

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Yet some how the strongest conference in the country (at least equal to the CAA) can only muster 2?

It was just a few years ago when the only OOC teams you ever played were Ivy and PL. Have we officially changed the board's name yet?
It was just a few years ago when the CAA wasn't the best conference in the country. Things change.

PaladinFan
July 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
Last year the CAA was 4 - 1 in the first round.

CAA's 5th team (Maine) was beaten out at MVC's tied for 1st.
CAA's tied for 3rd team (Richmond) won it all beating out OVC's 1, at Southern's 1, at MVC's tied for 1, and Big Sky's 1 (neutral).
CAA's tied for 3rd team (UNH) won at MVC's 1, and loses at MVC's other 1.
CAA's 2nd team (Nova) won v. Patriot's 1 and lost at CAA's 1.
CAA's 1st team (JMU) won v. Southern's 2, won v. CAA's 2, and lost v. Big Sky's 1.

Could there be an argument that CAA's 5th team should not have made it over others? Sure but the fact that the CAA 3/4 team who needed to beat CAA's 6th team (maybe should have been 5th team) in OT just to make the playoffs won the whole thing shows that the CAA deserved a minimum of 4 teams last year. Southern's only other possibility lost 3 of its last 4 including the last one by 23 points to another playoff contender. MVC had nobody else that was eligible. Personally I think that W&M should have gotten in before Maine but that's for another argument.

Listen, no one's debating its a good conference. The reality is they don't deserve five bids. The playoffs are a privilege, not a right, and the criteria for getting there needs to be a bit more stringent than "My team is in the CAA and we beat Towson and Rhode Island."

Lot of good teams there, no doubt, but other posters are right, the CAA is certainly not three bids better than the SoCon. The argument has yet to be settled even on the field who has the stronger conference, so I don't see how one can be favored more heavily.

And again, I'm certainly not advocating that they should give bids to the SoCon instead of the CAA. I just think they need to be more evenly distributed.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
SCSU @ ASU
William and Mary @ (4) UNI

Weber State @ Texas State
EKU @ (1) Montana

Elon @ James Madison
SIU @ (2) UNH

Wofford @ Richmond
Holy Cross @ (3) Villanova

Dukie95
July 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
The argument has yet to be settled even on the field who has the stronger conference,

So much of the discussion here is a lot of agreeing to disagree on this very point.

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
But I suppose as long as the selection committe is impressed with wins over IVY, NEC, and Patriot League teams, CAA will keep churning out 4-5 bid seasons. xnonono2x
Last year's MVC wins OOC...

UNI > South Dakota, Southern Utah, Nichols
SIU > Hampton, North Dakota
NDSU > Austin Peay and CCSU
WIU > Quincy, SFA
SDSU > SFA
YSU > Central State
MSU > SEMO (and lost to Washburn)
ISU > Murray State
InSU > nobody

Glass houses.

ChickenMan
July 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
No, there is absolutely no bias on this board at all ...LOL. It was just a few years ago when the only OOC teams you ever played were Ivy and PL. Have we officially changed the board's name yet? AGSitCAA

Try getting your 'facts' straight before you make a false statement...

Between the '00 and '05 seasons (a few years ago) the below CAA schools (regular playoff contenders) played the following OOC opponents..

JMU - South Florida.. Virginia Tech.. W Virginia

UMass - Marshall.. NC St.. Kansas St.. Boston College

W&M - Furman (2).. C Florida.. E Carolina.. Indiana.. N.Carolina.. Marshall

UNH - Rutgers.. C Michigan.. Cal Davis.. Kent St

Delaware - GSU (2).. Citadel (2).. Navy (2)

Maine - Montana (2).. Mississippi St.. Nebraska

Villanova - Rutgers (3).. Temple

Richmond - Virginia (2).. Arkansas St.. Furman (2).. Vanderbilt.. NC St

care to re-evaluate your above statement???

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 02:26 PM
And again, I'm certainly not advocating that they should give bids to the SoCon instead of the CAA. I just think they need to be more evenly distributed.
Almost sounds like you're for redistribution just for the sake of it. Who got Woofed last year?

BTW, I don't think Maine deserved the bid either, but I can't find anyone other than W&M that deserved it more.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
SCSU @ ASU

EKU @ (1) Montana

Elon @ James Madison
SIU @ (2) UNH

Wofford @ Richmond

Round 2:

Appalachian State @ (4) UNI
Weber State @ (1) Montana

SIU @ James Madison
Wofford @ (3) Villanova

Round 3:

James Madison @ (3) Villanova
Weber State @ Appalachian State

Championship:

(3) Villanova vs. Appalachian State

mcveyrl
July 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Almost sounds like you're for redistribution just for the sake of it. Who got Woofed last year?

BTW, I don't think Maine deserved the bid either, but I can't find anyone other than W&M that deserved it more.

This is the question that a lot of people dodge. Who else would you put in?

I guarantee you if Elon beats Liberty, they get in over Maine and W&M. But it didn't happen.

WHO SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN IN FROM THE OTHER CONFERENCES THAT DIDN'T LAST YEAR? Answer that question honestly and I'll listen.

I don't think the CAA is a five (or even four) bid league every year. But last year everybody else fell to the wayside.

Dukie95
July 21st, 2009, 02:38 PM

The response is usually something about unbalanced schedules that don't yield a true champion, or something something...

tribe_pride
July 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM
Listen, no one's debating its a good conference. The reality is they don't deserve five bids. The playoffs are a privilege, not a right, and the criteria for getting there needs to be a bit more stringent than "My team is in the CAA and we beat Towson and Rhode Island."

Lot of good teams there, no doubt, but other posters are right, the CAA is certainly not three bids better than the SoCon. The argument has yet to be settled even on the field who has the stronger conference, so I don't see how one can be favored more heavily.

That's fine if you want to say that but who should have gotten the bids instead of the CAA. I think we can all agree that Nova, JMU, Richmond and UNH deserved bids (if not - then skip the next paragraph). That leaves the Maine bid up for grabs.

Who are you going to give that one to? Maine, W&M, Elon, Liberty? I think those teams were all in contention and nobody else really was. All had pluses and minuses. I can't believe that you advocate eliminating a team from contention just because you believe that there are already too many from that conference in the playoffs.

A few years down the line maybe Southern or Big Sky or MVC will be the dominant conference and have tons of teams that are better than other conferences and I hope that some of those teams don't get screwed by an arbitrary limit set by people.

ur2k
July 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM

I guarantee you if Elon beats Liberty, they get in over Maine and W&M. But it didn't happen.

WHO SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN IN FROM THE OTHER CONFERENCES THAT DIDN'T LAST YEAR? Answer that question honestly and I'll listen.

I don't think the CAA is a five (or even four) bid league every year. But last year everybody else fell to the wayside.

Absolutely agree. If another team was more deserving than the 5th CAA team last year - they would've been in the playoffs. But Elon imploded at the end of the season.

GannonFan
July 21st, 2009, 02:47 PM

As others have said, let's hear the objective arguments for who should've gotten in over the bids that the CAA has received. If all you have is the argument that a conference shouldn't get that many bids then that's not a very good argument - the playoffs are about the teams, not the conferences they come from. Since 2004, the A10/CAA gotten 4 teams, 2, 3, 5, and 5 in each of the respective years, so it's not 4 or 5 every year. When the CAA doesn't have the teams to merit a lot of playoff spots, they don't get the spots. And in the years where the CAA has gotten 4 or 5 teams, they've done extremely well in the playoffs, even without homefield advantages.

So again, for all of those agitating the CAA has not deserved the playoff spots received, let's hear the arguments for who got Woofed and deserved to be in rather than the CAA. Just had to be said. xpeacex

DLS
July 21st, 2009, 02:49 PM
SCSU @ ASU

EKU @ (1) Montana

Elon @ James Madison
SIU @ (2) UNH

Wofford @ Richmond

Round 2:

SIU @ James Madison
Wofford @ (3) Villanova

Round 3:

Championship:

does anyone else find it funny that this is a fully filled out bracket in july?

how long until pratices start? this man reeeaaaally needs some football.

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Nice to see I pissed off a few east coasters. CAA definitely had three legit teams for the playoffs last year in Rich, JMU, NH. Villanova, eh. Maine was crap though. From the Valley, both Dakota States, and WIU would have housed Maine last year. I'm sure there are other conferences that had a second or third team that was comparable to Maine last season. BUT, Maine had 7 wins, therefore, they got the bid.

I just don't see how a conf that almost as a whole, save one FBS game/year, loads up wins on a bunch of non-schollies, gets 5 bids a year because they have 12 teams.

It's a great league, and no one's disputing that, but like I said before, you're league is not 2-3 bids better than the other FCS power conferences (MVC, Socon, Big Sky)

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
does anyone else find it funny that this is a fully filled out bracket in july?

how long until pratices start? this man reeeaaaally needs some football.

xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

darell1976
July 21st, 2009, 03:10 PM
Is North Dakota (2012) too early?;):D

Tribe4SF
July 21st, 2009, 03:29 PM
Nice to see I pissed off a few east coasters. CAA definitely had three legit teams for the playoffs last year in Rich, JMU, NH. Villanova, eh. Maine was crap though.

Villanova, eh???? They were 9-1 against FCS with wins over Richmond, New Hampshire and W&M.

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Villanova, eh???? They were 9-1 against FCS with wins over Richmond, New Hampshire and W&M.

Ok, I'll admit I just don't like Villanova and I also thought they had another FCS loss, but they still had two wins over non-schollies. If you want to play regional rivals that's fine, but teams shouldn't be rewarded with playoff bids for scheduling lesser opponents.

Proud Griz Man
July 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM
I'll go out on a limb and predict that Montana will be a playoff contender this year.

Never heard of them. xreadx Who are they?

bostonspider
July 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Nice to see I pissed off a few east coasters. CAA definitely had three legit teams for the playoffs last year in Rich, JMU, NH. Villanova, eh. Maine was crap though. From the Valley, both Dakota States, and WIU would have housed Maine last year. I'm sure there are other conferences that had a second or third team that was comparable to Maine last season. BUT, Maine had 7 wins, therefore, they got the bid.

I just don't see how a conf that almost as a whole, save one FBS game/year, loads up wins on a bunch of non-schollies, gets 5 bids a year because they have 12 teams.

It's a great league, and no one's disputing that, but like I said before, you're league is not 2-3 bids better than the other FCS power conferences (MVC, Socon, Big Sky)

As stated above, if you think Villanova was not worthy, you are smoking something.. You never give a good answer on which team should have taken Maine's place. They were 8-4, and had finished second in the CAA North, which team had a better resume and should have taken their place? The CAA is only getting so many bids because teams from the other "power" conferences are not stepping up.

ur2k
July 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
Redbird -

You mentioned WIU as more deserving than Maine - I just looked and they played someone named Quincy last year and won 63-0. That win should've vaulted them right in with their 6-4 record.

jmufan999
July 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM

no, what needs to be said is that you're apparently unable or unwilling to read. and to those of you that have read post after post backing me up, don't get mad at me... but i at least should get a chance to defend myself, since i was the one he quoted.

as many others have said, the list (on page 2, post #13) was LIKELY PLAYOFF CONTENDERS, not "who is the best team/conference". and as someone ALSO said, it included plenty of non-CAA teams too. SCSU is listed as the #3 team, do you really think anyone in their right mind would consider them the #3 team in the country? before you get all pis*y about something, you might want to understand what you're reading first.

and i have been saying what you other CAA fans are saying for months... if not Maine, then WHO??? the thing is, we say this ALLLLLL the time and NEVER get a real answer. ok, I-AA fan, who should it be? give me a team name instead of bashing our opinions. i'll start it for you, you can quote me: instead of Maine getting in, the team that should have made the playoffs in 2008 is _______. here's why: ________". i could see W&M having an argument (although i am quite certain they would have lost to UNI also), but guess what.... another CAA team! and Elon ABSOLUTELY was in with a win against Liberty, but they weren't even competitive. Liberty's the only other team that had a legit beef, but the committee rewards tough schedules, which they obviously didn't have. you've got to have a pretty weak schedule to go 10-2 and miss the playoffs, let's be real.

and ALSO (again, don't blame me for this, i didn't start the list OR this conference superiority chat on this thread), when the CAA CONSTANTLY shows the committee that they made good choices by giving lots of bids to CAA teams, why would they change? we've played in 5 of the last 6 national championship games and 4 different teams have won it since 1998. if CAA teams were getting clobbered in the playoffs, the committee wouldn't keep giving us lots of bids. i'm sure this sounds like a broken record, but when you stop fighting it (or come up with logical reasons why another conference is superior [conference strength is top to bottom, not just one team] ), we'll stop banging our drum.

jmufan999
July 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM

this has so many errors i don't even know where to start. ok, i'll just pick one.

if not for the hail mary play, Villanova was the CAA champ last year. if they beat JMU in the second round, they ABSOLUTELY could have gone on the road and beaten the Griz [edit: Griz fans, notice i said "could have" not "would have"]. and they had already beaten Richmond during the year... MAJOR disrespect to an excellent team with outstanding speed, athleticism, and coaching.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
It's a rainy day in CT so I finally took the time to document something that I've wanted to document for some time now. All this anti-CAA banter inspired me to do so this afternoon, albeit quickly.

2008 CAA OOC Games outside the NEC, Patriot and Ivy:

Ball State (NU)
Boston College (URI)
UConn (HU)
Iowa (Maine)
Maryland (UD) -- Twerps only won 14-7
West Virginia (VU)
NC State (W&M) -- Pack only won 34-24
Navy (TU)
Duke (JMU)
Army (UNH) -- Wildcats won 28-10
Syracuse (NU) -- Orange only wins by nine in the Dome
Virginia (UR)
Texas Tech (UMass)

Elon (UR) -- Spiders won 28-10 in NC
NC Central (JMU) -- Dukes 56-7
Morgan St (TU) -- Tigers 21-16
GaSoU (NU) -- In Statesboro, a 34-27 OT win for the Eagles
Stony Brook (Maine) -- Cubs win 28-13
Stony Brook (HU) -- Dutch win the Battle of Lawn Guyland 43-3 at SBU
VMI (W&M) -- Tribe 52-17
VMI (UR) -- Spiders travel over the mountains for a 56-16 win
Furman (UD) -- Paladins win by two, 23-21 in SC
Coastal Carolina (TU) -- Beach Chickens win big at home, 31-3
Norfolk State (W&M) -- Tribe wins big 42-12 in the Burg
App State (JMU) -- Dukes win a close one 35-32 in the other VA Burg
UC Davis (NU) -- Parsons magic for the Huskies, 27-10
Iona (Maine) -- Cubs 55-7 in Orono

That's 11-3 against FCS minus the Patriot, Ivy and NEC with games against the Big South, SoCon, Great West, MEAC

BTW, the CAA OOC record vs. the Patriot, Ivy and NEC was 14-2 (Fordham over URI 16-0, Albany over Hofstra 22-16)

Playoffs: 7-3 against teams outside the CAA (one loss to Montana, two losses to UNI)

Home wins -- OVC (1), Patriot (1), SoCon (1)
Home Losses -- Big Sky (1)
Road Wins -- MVFC (2), SoCon (1)
Road Losses -- MVFC (2),
Nuetral -- won National Championship

2007 CAA OOC Games outside the NEC, Patriot and Ivy:

Northwestern (NU)
North Carolina (JMU)
Maryland (VU)
Vanderbilt (UR)
Army (URI) -- Cadets win 14-7 in OT
Marshall (UNH) -- Wildcats 48-35
Virginia Tech (W&M)
Boston College (UMass) -- Beagles only by 10, 24-14
Navy (UD) -- Hens outscore the Middies 59-52
Connecticut (Maine)

Morgan State (TU) -- Tigers by 7
Furman (HU) -- Dutch 32-17 on Lawn Guyland
Northwestern State (NU) -- Parsons Huskies 42-14
VMI (W&M) -- Tribe 63-16 in Lexington
VMI (JMU) -- Dukes 45-17
Liberty (W&M) -- Tribe 48-41
UC Davis (NU) -- 28-10 home win for Davis
Coastal Carolina (JMU) -- Dukes 45-10 in the Valley
Stony Brook (HU) -- Dutch win 33-28
Stony Brook (UR) -- Spiders at home, 42-0
Stony Brook (Maine) -- Seawolves get the upset at home 30-23 (2OT)
Iona (UNH) -- Wildcats cruise 49-21

That's 10-2 against the SoCon, Big South, MEAC, Southland and Great West
And for the record against the Ivy, Patriot and NEC was 12-2 (Fordham over URI 27-23, Colgate over Towson 27-17)

Playoffs: 6-5 (three losses to App, one at UNI and one at SIU)

Home Wins -- MEAC (1), Patriot (1), OVC (1)
Home Losses -- none
Road Losses -- SoCon (2), MVFC (2)
Nuetral -- lost National Championship

The CAA in the last two years:

has three FBS wins in the past two years along with multiple outstanding efforts that enhanced their relative strength.
has almost 2/3rds of their OOC schedule against FBS and FCS schools outside the Patriot, Ivy and NEC.
has only three annual match-ups with the Ivy, all in-state match-ups: UNH-Dartmouth (goes on hold after this year), URI-Brown and Villanova-Penn. The CAA is not fattening up on the Ivy!
has on average less than one Patriot opponent per team per year. (Didn't look, but I bet at best it's each Patriot team playing one CAA game.) Besides The Patriot funds most of their programs like the power conferences, they're not the Pioneer version of non-scholarship.
has more road/neutral playoff wins than home wins, has one national champion and one runner-up. Their only playoff losses in the past two years have been to App State, UNI, Montana and SIU.

I'd say the CAA is putting a OOC and Playoff resume out there that demonstrates success against all FCS leagues and a strength that compares favorably with every other FCS league. Unfortunately, finances will always mean very few CAA games with the Southland, Great West, Big Sky and MVFC outside the playoffs.

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 04:29 PM
From the Valley, both Dakota States, and WIU would have housed Maine last year.
That's one opinion. xcoffeex

Silenoz
July 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM
All this anti-CAA banter
You're only seeing that because people are tired of having CAA conference strength crammed down their throat here

katstrapper
July 21st, 2009, 04:58 PM

UNI
SoIll
West. Illi
SDSU

Appy
Woffy
Elon
GaSouth

SC State
FAMU

EKU
Tenn. Martin

Colgate
Lehigh

JMU
UNH
Richmond
Villy
Bill and Mary
UMass

TxSTate
Nicholls ST.
Cal Poly

Holla

Nicholls St?xlolx Surely it is a typo!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Ok, I'll admit I just don't like Villanova and I also thought they had another FCS loss, but they still had two wins over non-schollies. If you want to play regional rivals that's fine, but teams shouldn't be rewarded with playoff bids for scheduling lesser opponents.

But it's OK when a MVFC/Gateway team over the years has played Drake, Valparaiso or any other Pioneer team? BTW, did you realize that two MVFC teams have a NEC team on their schedule this year? xwhistlex And Quincy and SW Baptist really enhance OOC schedules. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Serious question for SIU folks -- why would you play SW Baptist when you've got potential bus games with EIU, TN-Martin, Murray State, Austin Peay, TN State, TN-Chatty, Eastern KY, TN Tech, maybe even Jax State or Samford, etc.? xconfusedx xconfusedx Valparaiso, Butler and Morehead State make significantly more sense than SW Baptist. Not saying it is going to happen, but here's a team that at 8-3 probably won't be viewed as an equal to teams with eight D-I wins. You know sometimes the CAA gets another bid because other schools have D-II wins that don't count in the committee's eyes. xwhistlex And that sure isn't the CAA's fault!!

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM
You're only seeing that because people are tired of having CAA conference strength crammed down their throat here
Well if the Griz would stop losing the NC game to CAA teams, we wouldn't hear any of it. xsmiley_wix

Silenoz
July 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Well if the Griz would stop losing the NC game to CAA teams, we wouldn't hear any of it. xsmiley_wix
If only we had won. We'd have as many rings as your entire conference combined xmadx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM

JMHO, but the conference strength cramming is just as often pontificated by posters from the SoCon, MVFC and Big Sky. This particular discussion was not started by a CAA poster.

I know personally that I only post in reaction to other's statements. I have too much respect for all the power conferences. And I'd like to think that I've seen enough playoff games in person now to be wise enough not to post like a homer.

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
If only we had won. We'd have as many rings as your entire conference combined xmadx
Did you know that the CAA won more playoff games last year than your entire conference mates have since Idaho and Boise were members? xwhistlex

Redbirdz
July 21st, 2009, 05:24 PM
If not for the APR thing, Jacksonville State would definitely be in there.

SU DOG
July 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Last July I was on here screaming that because of Pat Sullivan's recruiting, Samford would be competitive in the SoCon. Almost NO ONE would listen. Now, I am here one year later, and this time I am telling you that if these SoCon teams behind App St are considered possible playoff contenders, then Samford should be also. It is true that the SoCon schedule will result in a blood-bath almost every Saturday, and none of us can foresee things like key injuries. Any of us will have to have a little luck to go along with the good players. The Bulldogs, however, do figure to be considerably better this season. This team has lots of talent and now more experience. 'I'm just sayin.' Is anyone listening....ANYONE?....ANYONE?

james_lawfirm
July 21st, 2009, 06:26 PM

I don't think Holy Cross participates in the Playoffs. At least under previous administrations, I remember they were ranked in the top 5 of I-AA teams, won their conference (not sure if they got an AQ), but chose not to play. Has anyone heard that they would now participate?

SUUTbird
July 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM

If any team should have gotten that bid it should have been Liberty, They went undefeated in Big South Conference play (Presbyterian wasnt in yet) and beat elon, They should have easily gotten in ahead of Maine, not saying maine is a bad team because they arent, just saying they deserved it more.

Proud Griz Man
July 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Did you know that the CAA won more playoff games last year than your entire conference mates have since Idaho and Boise were members? xwhistlex

xeyebrowx xoopsx You have been spewing the same propaganda every year since I first visited AGS in 2002.

Conference mates? The Griz have no control over the rest of the BSC conference, just like Delaware has no control over the rest of the CAA. Circular and hollow argument.

hippy@GSU
July 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Last July I was on here screaming that because of Pat Sullivan's recruiting, Samford would be competitive in the SoCon. Almost NO ONE would listen. Now, I am here one year later, and this time I am telling you that if these SoCon teams behind App St are considered possible playoff contenders, then Samford should be also. It is true that the SoCon schedule will result in a blood-bath almost every Saturday, and none of us can foresee things like key injuries. Any of us will have to have a little luck to go along with the good players. The Bulldogs, however, do figure to be considerably better this season. This team has lots of talent and now more experience. 'I'm just sayin.' Is anyone listening....ANYONE?....ANYONE?

I'm not taking you guys lightly, and I don't think the rest of the conference is either.

SUUTbird
July 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
I was quite impressed with samfords showing in the SOCON, who knows maybe they will knock off a few key opponents and make things interesting xthumbsupx

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
this has so many errors i don't even know where to start. ok, i'll just pick one.

if not for the hail mary play, Villanova was the CAA champ last year. if they beat JMU in the second round, they ABSOLUTELY could have gone on the road and beaten the Griz [edit: Griz fans, notice i said "could have" not "would have"]. and they had already beaten Richmond during the year... MAJOR disrespect to an excellent team with outstanding speed, athleticism, and coaching.

Lots of could have's and if's in this reply

SUUTbird
July 21st, 2009, 06:38 PM
Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda...thats the game of football, sometimes things just dont go your way

GATA
July 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM
I was quite impressed with samfords showing in the SOCON, who knows maybe they will knock off a few key opponents and make things interesting xthumbsupx

Well ****...I'll say it. I think Samford is a SOLID team with a great defense...I don't think they're going to win the conference though...or even get close...just like GSU and the rest of the SOCON teams.

Samford doesn't have one QB worth mentioning either.

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM
As stated above, if you think Villanova was not worthy, you are smoking something.. You never give a good answer on which team should have taken Maine's place. They were 8-4, and had finished second in the CAA North, which team had a better resume and should have taken their place? The CAA is only getting so many bids because teams from the other "power" conferences are not stepping up.

Pretty sure I said that both Dakota States and WIU would have housed Maine last year, and yes, they would have. The CAA North? Please. There are high school conferences that had more depth than the CAA North did last year. Take two non-schollies of Villanova's schedule last year, and maybe they do or don't finish 9-2. Just saying.

SUUTbird
July 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
I agree Samford wont win the conference but i could see them upsetting a few teams like possibly app state or wofford.

crusader11
July 21st, 2009, 06:58 PM
I don't think Holy Cross participates in the Playoffs. At least under previous administrations, I remember they were ranked in the top 5 of I-AA teams, won their conference (not sure if they got an AQ), but chose not to play. Has anyone heard that they would now participate?

Do you follow FCS football? xconfusedx

Redbird Ray
July 21st, 2009, 07:02 PM
:)
It's a rainy day in CT so I finally took the time to document something that I've wanted to document for some time now. All this anti-CAA banter inspired me to do so this afternoon, albeit quickly.

2008 CAA OOC Games outside the NEC, Patriot and Ivy:

Ball State (NU)
Boston College (URI)
UConn (HU)
Iowa (Maine)
Maryland (UD) -- Twerps only won 14-7
West Virginia (VU)
NC State (W&M) -- Pack only won 34-24
Navy (TU)
Duke (JMU)
Army (UNH) -- Wildcats won 28-10
Syracuse (NU) -- Orange only wins by nine in the Dome
Virginia (UR)
Texas Tech (UMass)

Elon (UR) -- Spiders won 28-10 in NC
NC Central (JMU) -- Dukes 56-7
Morgan St (TU) -- Tigers 21-16
GaSoU (NU) -- In Statesboro, a 34-27 OT win for the Eagles
Stony Brook (Maine) -- Cubs win 28-13
Stony Brook (HU) -- Dutch win the Battle of Lawn Guyland 43-3 at SBU
VMI (W&M) -- Tribe 52-17
VMI (UR) -- Spiders travel over the mountains for a 56-16 win
Furman (UD) -- Paladins win by two, 23-21 in SC
Coastal Carolina (TU) -- Beach Chickens win big at home, 31-3
Norfolk State (W&M) -- Tribe wins big 42-12 in the Burg
App State (JMU) -- Dukes win a close one 35-32 in the other VA Burg
UC Davis (NU) -- Parsons magic for the Huskies, 27-10
Iona (Maine) -- Cubs 55-7 in Orono

That's 11-3 against FCS minus the Patriot, Ivy and NEC with games against the Big South, SoCon, Great West, MEAC

BTW, the CAA OOC record vs. the Patriot, Ivy and NEC was 14-2 (Fordham over URI 16-0, Albany over Hofstra 22-16)

Playoffs: 7-3 against teams outside the CAA (one loss to Montana, two losses to UNI)

Home wins -- OVC (1), Patriot (1), SoCon (1)
Home Losses -- Big Sky (1)
Road Losses -- MVFC (2),
Nuetral -- won National Championship

2007 CAA OOC Games outside the NEC, Patriot and Ivy:

Northwestern (NU)
North Carolina (JMU)
Maryland (VU)
Vanderbilt (UR)
Army (URI) -- Cadets win 14-7 in OT
Marshall (UNH) -- Wildcats 48-35
Virginia Tech (W&M)
Boston College (UMass) -- Beagles only by 10, 24-14
Navy (UD) -- Hens outscore the Middies 59-52
Connecticut (Maine)

Morgan State (TU) -- Tigers by 7
Furman (HU) -- Dutch 32-17 on Lawn Guyland
Northwestern State (NU) -- Parsons Huskies 42-14
VMI (W&M) -- Tribe 63-16 in Lexington
VMI (JMU) -- Dukes 45-17
Liberty (W&M) -- Tribe 48-41
UC Davis (NU) -- 28-10 home win for Davis
Coastal Carolina (JMU) -- Dukes 45-10 in the Valley
Stony Brook (HU) -- Dutch win 33-28
Stony Brook (UR) -- Spiders at home, 42-0
Stony Brook (Maine) -- Seawolves get the upset at home 30-23 (2OT)
Iona (UNH) -- Wildcats cruise 49-21

That's 10-2 against the SoCon, Big South, MEAC, Southland and Great West
And for the record against the Ivy, Patriot and NEC was 12-2 (Fordham over URI 27-23, Colgate over Towson 27-17)

Playoffs: 6-5 (three losses to App, one at UNI and one at SIU)

Home Wins -- MEAC (1), Patriot (1), OVC (1)
Home Losses -- none
Road Losses -- SoCon (2), MVFC (2)
Nuetral -- lost National Championship

The CAA in the last two years:

has three FBS wins in the past two years along with multiple outstanding efforts that enhanced their relative strength.
has almost 2/3rds of their OOC schedule against FBS and FCS schools outside the Patriot, Ivy and NEC.
has only three annual match-ups with the Ivy, all in-state match-ups: UNH-Dartmouth (goes on hold after this year), URI-Brown and Villanova-Penn. The CAA is not fattening up on the Ivy!
has on average less than one Patriot opponent per team per year. (Didn't look, but I bet at best it's each Patriot team playing one CAA game.) Besides The Patriot funds most of their programs like the power conferences, they're not the Pioneer version of non-scholarship.
has more road/neutral playoff wins than home wins, has one national champion and one runner-up. Their only playoff losses in the past two years have been to App State, UNI, Montana and SIU.

I'd say the CAA is putting a OOC and Playoff resume out there that demonstrates success against all FCS leagues and a strength that compares favorably with every other FCS league. Unfortunately, finances will always mean very few CAA games with the Southland, Great West, Big Sky and MVFC outside the playoffs.

Just about everyone schedules an FBS team every year, so points about scheduling FBS teams are stupid. Yes, NH beats crappy FBS teams every year and that is awesome. Putting a scare into FBS teams doesn't count for much though. Every good FCS league has teams that put scares into FBS teams every year.

Even with all of this research here, the CAA (the largest of the FCS power conferences) still schedules of third of their non-conf games against non-schollies and the NEC (basically a non-scholly level of play). Those are wins that should not have the same merit as wins over other FCS conf teams. Thus, maybe what 7 or 8 wins would get you from the MVC, should equate to 9 wins from the CAA. Sure, you might see an MVC team schedule a Pioneer team or a D2 team every now and again, but its rare to see 2 or 3 games scheduled that way as has been the case in CAA before.

SU DOG
July 21st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Well ****...I'll say it. I think Samford is a SOLID team with a great defense...I don't think they're going to win the conference though...or even get close...just like GSU and the rest of the SOCON teams.

Samford doesn't have one QB worth mentioning either.

I don't understand the QB quote, since we had the SoCon Freshman POY winner in our QB Dustin Taliaferro. xconfusedx

crusader11
July 21st, 2009, 07:04 PM
When has a CAA team played 3 games against teams from the PFL or Sub-D1 levels?

BDKJMU
July 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
SCSU @ ASU

EKU @ (1) Montana

Elon @ James Madison
SIU @ (2) UNH

Wofford @ Richmond

Round 2:

SIU @ James Madison
Wofford @ (3) Villanova

Round 3:

Championship:

Skins, how do you think UNH and Nova are going to get the #2 and #3 seeds when they play each other xconfusedx

drpnut
July 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
Wofford will compete for the NC in 2010.

BDKJMU
July 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM

First of all, check your facts because Maine had 8 wins going 8-4.
-WIU, then went 6-5. They had 5 Div 1 wins. xlolx
-NDSU, they also went 6-5. Also lacked the necessary 7 Div I wins to get an at large.
-SDSU is the only credible team of the 3 you mentioned, as they went 7-5, all 7 wins Div I.

Unbelievable, someone advocating 6-5 teams getting at at large bid. xlolx And Villanova wasn't a legit playoff team? xeekx Who went 9-2, 7-1 in the CAA, beating UR and UNH, only losing to JMU on a hail mary. One of the most ignorant posts I've seen in a while. xlolx

BossEagle
July 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
I don't understand the QB quote, since we had the SoCon Freshman POY winner in our QB Dustin Taliaferro. xconfusedx

As oppose to what other freshman in the conference??? serious question, no sarcasm, I really like Taliaferro, him and evans make a dangerous backfield.

BUT PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE, you know how we solve all of this????

BOWL GAMESxthumbsupx

xlolx

BDKJMU
July 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM

Exactly. I saw them twice in person against JMU plus twice on TV (against UR and UD). Only an idiot was say Nova wasn't playoff worthy. Every school though has at least one poster like that. We have ours in Alexale. xrolleyesx

UNHWildCats
July 21st, 2009, 07:44 PM
SCSU @ ASU

EKU @ (1) Montana

Elon @ James Madison
SIU @ (2) UNH

Wofford @ Richmond
I could just kiss you for putting UNH and UNI in opposite sides of the bracket.... but dont worry... I wont xlolxxlolxxlolx

WrenFGun
July 21st, 2009, 07:46 PM
:)

Just about everyone schedules an FBS team every year, so points about scheduling FBS teams are stupid. Yes, NH beats crappy FBS teams every year and that is awesome. Putting a scare into FBS teams doesn't count for much though. Every good FCS league has teams that put scares into FBS teams every year.

It's a good thing all those other FCS teams are beating those crappy FBS teams year after year...otherwise UNH might have a selling point or something. These threads are tired.

xwhistlex

UNHWildCats
July 21st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Skins, how do you think UNH and Nova are going to get the #2 and #3 seeds when they play each other xconfusedx
Lets say UNH goes 11-1 and Villanova goes 11-1

UNH beats Villanova say 24-21 and its only loss is to a 9-2 William & Mary by the score of 31-28

How can both of them not get seeds?

james_lawfirm
July 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Do you follow FCS football? xconfusedx

Are you trying to offend?

I had not heard of Holy Cross's success in many years. When they refused to participate in the playoffs, it was still I-AA.

I'll give you another chance - if you know the answer.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM
BDK...

I honestly haven't gone through both schedules and compared, but I did predict that 'Nova would beat UNH. So if 'Nova loses to Richmond, Richmond loses to JMU, JMU loses to 'Nova, you could have a situation where the top of the CAA South is:

'Nova: 7-1
Richmond: 6-2
JMU: 6-2

Now, assume that UNH runs the table against a weak north and beats Towson (i think they play) in the south and knock off W&M ... they could be 9-2 (losing FBS) as well as 'Nova, and both teams being tops in the CAA, could get seed talks ... just a hypothetical ... I know a lot of people thought 'Nova could have been seeded last year if the chips fell right as a #4 seed and jmu at #1 and they played each other too ...

UNHWildCats
July 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM

I had not heard of Holy Cross's success in many years. When they refused to participate in the playoffs, it was still I-AA.

the last time Holy Cross had a record worthy of being a top 5 team was 1991. While I am not familair with the history of the Patriot League my guess is the conference didn't participate in the playoffs at the time.

Silenoz
July 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM

Well it's a good thing I couldn't care less about how well the rest of the Big Sky does

crusader11
July 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM

Sorry. Little harsh. Every PL team has a chance at making the playoffs via the auto bid. In fact, HC was in the "title" game for the PL the last three seasons but came up short each time.

Holy Cross has been in playoff discussions much of last year during the latter parts of league play, and also throughout the spring and summer months with out Payton candidate Dom Randolph returning for a 5th year.

Guess that's why I asked if you followed FCS football. Again, sorry, I was a bit harsh I suppose. I sometimes get irritated when guys don't give HC or the PL the time of day.

Big Dawg
July 21st, 2009, 09:53 PM
I just LOVE how everyone is assuming that SCSU is the best that the MEAC has

WCU LawCat
July 21st, 2009, 10:00 PM

Because they are. Played App TOUGH in Boone. I'd would think Hampton and FAMU would still be outside contenders.

At this point I would honestly say 8 SoCon teams are playoff contenders. One team suprises every year. App returns many, Elon also, Wofford has questions, GSU should improve but there seems to be player turnover every year. Furman has been on a downslide but Lamb may be focused this season. Citadel has every kid on the team in summer school and a great WR with experienced QB. Western's improvement is a mystery right now until they hit the field but I suspect the will be the suprise team this season. UTC has MAJOR work to do ans also only has about 25 kids in summer school. I'd say UTC has no shot.

JmuSkinsfan
July 21st, 2009, 10:01 PM

Okay, then enlighten us! I like to think I know a little about FCS outside of the CAA and major conferences but truth be told there are a ton of teams out there and honestly I have no clue about most of the teams ...

Big Dawg
July 21st, 2009, 11:57 PM
Okay, then enlighten us! I like to think I know a little about FCS outside of the CAA and major conferences but truth be told there are a ton of teams out there and honestly I have no clue about most of the teams ...

When you look at FAMU, you will see a team that ONLY graduated 4 players from last years team...only 2 of them were starters. FAMU is pretty stacked this year and I would say that this is one of the most talented teams we've had in years.

Big Dawg
July 21st, 2009, 11:59 PM
Because they are. Played App TOUGH in Boone. I'd would think Hampton and FAMU would still be outside contenders.

Just because they played App tough LAST YEAR dosen't mean that they are the BEST that the MEAC has to offer this season. I mean SCSU is stacked but I think this year is FAMU's year. I would also put BCU ahead of Hampton.

R.A.
July 22nd, 2009, 01:24 AM
FAMU makes a strong argument... they went 9-3 last season, they're a Joe Taylor coached team, and they return most of their talent-- including the top quarterback in the conference Curtis Pulley.

Even if FAMU loses to Miami & SCSU in Orangeburg, the Rattlers would still potentially be a 9-2 squad... it's hard to keep a 9-2 Florida A&M out of the playoffs folks.

And lets reverse roles here. If FAMU goes 10-1, defeats FAMU and wins the conference, it might be even harder to keep a 9-2 SCSU out of the playoffs.

Big Dawg
July 22nd, 2009, 03:21 AM
FAMU makes a strong argument... they went 9-3 last season, they're a Joe Taylor coached team, and they return most of their talent-- including the top quarterback in the conference Curtis Pulley.

Even if FAMU loses to Miami & SCSU in Orangeburg, the Rattlers would still potentially be a 9-2 squad... it's hard to keep a 9-2 Florida A&M out of the playoffs folks.

And lets reverse roles here. If FAMU goes 10-1, defeats FAMU and wins the conference, it might be even harder to keep a 9-2 SCSU out of the playoffs.

I really think that's the best chance for the MEAC to squeeze 2 teams into the playoffs.

Redbird Ray
July 22nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
First of all, check your facts because Maine had 8 wins going 8-4.
-WIU, then went 6-5. They had 5 Div 1 wins. xlolx
-NDSU, they also went 6-5. Also lacked the necessary 7 Div I wins to get an at large.
-SDSU is the only credible team of the 3 you mentioned, as they went 7-5, all 7 wins Div I.

Unbelievable, someone advocating 6-5 teams getting at at large bid. xlolx And Villanova wasn't a legit playoff team? xeekx Who went 9-2, 7-1 in the CAA, beating UR and only losing to JMU on a hail mary. One of the most ignorant posts I've seen in a while. xlolx

None of you CAA rimjobs have convinced me why your league is still 2-3 bids better than other FCS power conferences. Yeah, I'm calling out Nova, wins over non-schollies and a watered down CAA North is NOT the same as 6-5 or 7-4 in a tougher league. I don't care if your team almost lost to them, maybe JMU was overrated also. Sure seemed outmatched against Montana. And everyone knows Richmond barely made into the playoffs last year anyway, and got hot at the right time. Not sure a win earlier in the year is as justified as in retrospect.

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM

Agreed. People just look at last year and ASSume....

I remember earlier this year looking up SCSU's starters returning (from the game notes of their SCSU game) and it was only about 9 of 22, same as the other playoff team from SC, Wofford.

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Lets say UNH goes 11-1 and Villanova goes 11-1

UNH beats Villanova say 24-21 and its only loss is to a 9-2 William & Mary by the score of 31-28

How can both of them not get seeds?

That would assume UNH and Nova beat Ball State and Temple. Now if it was the Ball State and Temple from a few years ago, that would be one thing. But Ball State went 12-2 last season, and should be one of the top teams in the MAC. Temple returns 15 starters from a team that went 5-7/4-4 in the MAC. 4 of those losses were by 4 pts or less, and a 5th was to Navy in OT. I'd be shocked if Temple doesn't have a winning record this season and go to a toilet bowl. Both of those teams should be among the top MAC teams. Yes I know UNH has won 4 straight over I-A, but that was against
04' Rutgers, 4-7
06' Northwestern 4-8
07' Marshall 3-9
08' Army 3-9
but 09' Ball State will probably be better than any of those 4.
The odds are against either UNH beating Ball State and Nova beating Temple. The odds of BOTH UNH and Nova pulling off the upsets are very remote. THEN, ON TOP OF THAT, they both likely would have to go 7-1 in CAA play to get the #2 & 3 seeds. There fore, the odds against them both getting seeds, esp the #2 and #3, are astronomical. Sure, UNH and Nova could BOTH get seeds. And I could win a million in the lottery if I played.

jstclmet
July 22nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20090717_Owls_drop_Galette_and_Robinson.html
That would assume UNH and Nova beat Ball State and Temple. Now if it was the Ball State and Temple from a few years ago, that would be one thing. But Ball State went 12-2 last season, and should be one of the top teams in the MAC. Temple returns 15 starters from a team that went 5-7/4-4 in the MAC. 4 of those losses were by 4 pts or less, and a 5th was to Navy in OT. I'd be shocked if Temple doesn't have a winning record this season and go to a toilet bowl. Both of those teams should be among the top MAC teams. Yes I know UNH has won 4 straight over I-A, but that was against
04' Rutgers, 4-7
06' Northwestern 4-8
07' Marshall 3-9
08' Army 3-9
but 09' Ball State will probably be better than any of those 4.
The odds are against either UNH beating Ball State and Nova beating Temple. The odds of BOTH UNH and Nova pulling off the upsets are very remote. THEN, ON TOP OF THAT, they both likely would have to go 7-1 in CAA play to get the #2 & 3 seeds. There fore, the odds against them both getting seeds, esp the #2 and #3, are astronomical. Sure, UNH and Nova could BOTH get seeds. And I could win a million in the lottery if I played.

If we were talking about last year's Temple team, I might be inclined to agree. However, the QB spot is wide open @ Temple, and the two guys JMU have could beat out the guys battling for the starting job @ Temple. Plus Temple just dropped two defensive starters (DL & DB) from their football squads. The DL was a 3 year starter. The DB had returned from a year away @ JUCO. Temple had some other departures prior to that. TU has also had some kids come in who failed elsewhere. TU has fingers crossed that they can come out of the Nova game with the "W". This game is Nova's to lose.

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
None of you CAA rimjobs have convinced me why your league is still 2-3 bids better than other FCS power conferences. Yeah, I'm calling out Nova, wins over non-schollies and a watered down CAA North is NOT the same as 6-5 or 7-4 in a tougher league. I don't care if your team almost lost to them, maybe JMU was overrated also. Sure seemed outmatched against Montana. And everyone knows Richmond barely made into the playoffs last year anyway, and got hot at the right time. Not sure a win earlier in the year is as justified as in retrospect.

In you're earlier post you said UNH was a legit playoff team. Well, I failed to mention that Nova not only beat UR (rather soundly as Nova was up 26-13 until a late UR TD) but Nova also beat UNH 24-13. The same UNH team that beat SIU @ SIU in the 1st round and lost @ UNI by 2 in the quarterfinals. And secondly, clueless, Nova plays in the CAA South. xlolx

Anyone who thinks Nova didn't deserve the playoffs last season is an idiot.

Maybe JMU was overrated also? xlolx GPI: 4-1 against the top 5 and 7-1 against the top 17.

And of the final 3 major polls: 4-1 against the top 6-1 against the top 20. xrulesx

Uncle Buck
July 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM

Holy Cross had a hell of a team in the late 80's into '91. They were conference champs in '86, '87, '89, '90, '91 and did not go to the playoffs. Sorry, the question intrigued me since i remember Holy Cross being a good team back then.

Uncle Buck
July 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM

Redbird Ray, you are a bitter man my friend, a bitter man.

mcveyrl
July 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM

Nova's in the South.

How, exactly did JMU seem outmatched against Montana?? We had some bad turnovers but fought back to make it close - with a backup QB in the game.

Then again, our wins against the top two teams in the SoCon probably were some sort of fluke too...xrolleyesx.

And are you really saying that the MVFC doesn't have it's share of cupcakes at the bottom??

I'm not saying that the CAA is continually deserving of 5 bids every year, but last year there weren't many other options. Maybe if WIU doesn't lose to Youngstown State and plays somebody besides legendary pop producer Quincy Jones, they get in.

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM

I like Samford. They have a good defense and play smash mouth football. I like what Sullivan is doing over there. Playing Wofford, Furman, The Citadel, and App State on the road is no easy task for a young team. Those are tough venues even for hardened SoCon vets.

I think they have a good shot. I don't think they are as talented top to bottom as Furman, Elon, Wofford, GSU and App. That's no slight, though. What they did in the first year in conference is really incredible.

Bull Fan
July 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
So winning the national championship was a fluke is what you're saying? All teams in the tournament had the same chance as them. FWIW, getting hot at the right time is the key to the playoffs. Do you expect a team in a relative funk to win it all? It's a single-elimination format....

Talk about sour grapes.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
xeyebrowx xoopsx You have been spewing the same propaganda every year since I first visited AGS in 2002.

Conference mates? The Griz have no control over the rest of the BSC conference, just like Delaware has no control over the rest of the CAA. Circular and hollow argument.
It was in reply to a Griz comment. :)

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Nova's in the South.

How, exactly did JMU seem outmatched against Montana?? We had some bad turnovers but fought back to make it close - with a backup QB in the game.

Then again, our wins against the top two teams in the SoCon probably were some sort of fluke too...xrolleyesx.

And are you really saying that the MVFC doesn't have it's share of cupcakes at the bottom??

I'm not saying that the CAA is continually deserving of 5 bids every year, but last year there weren't many other options. Maybe if WIU doesn't lose to Youngstown State and plays somebody besides legendary pop producer Quincy Jones, they get in.

There's no need to get into a spitting contest here. Every conference has good teams. Every conference has not so good teams.

The reality is that NO conference, no matter how good, deserves nearly half the bids in the playoffs. There are good teams out there deserving of a spot. I'd be in favor of a San Diego or Dayton getting in over a 5th CAA team.

ur2k
July 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
It just seems that Ray is bitter about his team's 3-8 record last year since the rest of us rimjobs haven't been able to get the point across clearly enough.

Ray - what team deserved to be in the playoffs over the last 2-3 CAA teams which apparently didn't deserve to be in according to you?

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20090717_Owls_drop_Galette_and_Robinson.html

If we were talking about last year's Temple team, I might be inclined to agree. However, the QB spot is wide open @ Temple, and the two guys JMU have could beat out the guys battling for the starting job @ Temple. Plus Temple just dropped two defensive starters (DL & DB) from their football squads. The DL was a 3 year starter. The DB had returned from a year away @ JUCO. Temple had some other departures prior to that. TU has also had some kids come in who failed elsewhere. TU has fingers crossed that they can come out of the Nova game with the "W". This game is Nova's to lose.

The DL was a 2 yr, not 3 yr starter. The DB was not a starter. So they return 14 starters. They will still be favored, and it' still Temple's, not Nova's game to lose.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/homepage/20090717_Owls_drop_Galette_and_Robinson.html

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Sure, you might see an MVC team schedule a Pioneer team or a D2 team every now and again, but its rare to see 2 or 3 games scheduled that way as has been the case in CAA before.
In the 2000's...

UNI vs Morningside, Prairie View, Wayne State, Wayne State, Mankato State, Drake, Minnesota-Duluth, Drake, North Dakota, Mankato State, Drake, South Dakota, St Francis.

SIU vs Drake, Kentucky Wesleyan, West Virginia Tech, Quincy, St Josephs, William Penn, Union, Lock Haven, Ark-PB, Southern Utah, Quincy, Southern Utah, Ark-PB, North Dakota, Southwest Baptist.

Those are the top two teams since 2000 and they are averaging quite a bit more than one per year vs non-playoff I-AA's or DII's. xpeacex

mcveyrl
July 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
There's no need to get into a spitting contest here. Every conference has good teams. Every conference has not so good teams.

The reality is that NO conference, no matter how good, deserves nearly half the bids in the playoffs. There are good teams out there deserving of a spot. I'd be in favor of a San Diego or Dayton getting in over a 5th CAA team.

I was just trying to respond to his "watered down" comment. I don't think the discussion over last year is even about conferences, it's about teams. There just weren't any other teams that met the criteria the committee puts on selection. I'm not saying that Maine was definitely better than SDSU, NDSU, WIU, Elon, or even Ga. Southern, they just met the criterya and didn't play any of those teams head to head. I have a feeling that if any of those teams were qualified, they get in over Maine. If there's a problem, it's with the selection criteria and not with the CAA, yet the conference gets heat for it.

The only way to solve it is to have a 5 game season, expand the playoffs to 64 teams and start them in October.

And if you're really saying that you'd rather have San Diego or Dayton in there, I think it defeats the purpose of trying to get the best 8 at-large teams in the bracket.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
None of you CAA rimjobs have convinced me why your league is still 2-3 bids better than other FCS power conferences.
First off, a big part of it is the CAA has 12 teams. That's at least one more bid before the teams take the field. Lately, the CAA has been performing better as a whole than the SoCon and MVC. That's another bid. Last year was just a weird year. I think pretty much every CAA fan here has said Maine wasn't really deserving of a bid, but there was nobody else out there who was more deserving.

Who knows, maybe the CAA will not be as good, beat each other up and only get three bids. You do know that the MVC was the first conference to get four bids in one year, don't you? Things change.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
FAMU makes a strong argument...
They disappointed me last year. I'm waiting for FAMU to return to the front of the MEAC. They had a couple good showings in the playoffs too before they made that I-A blunder.

93henfan
July 22nd, 2009, 08:58 AM
You do know that the MVC was the first conference to get four bids in one year, don't you? Things change.

Was that the year we beat half of them? :p

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'd be in favor of a San Diego or Dayton getting in over a 5th CAA team.
A 9-2 Dayton or USD? What are you smoking? xlolx

SUUTbird
July 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I was just trying to respond to his "watered down" comment. I don't think the discussion over last year is even about conferences, it's about teams. There just weren't any other teams that met the criteria the committee puts on selection. I'm not saying that Maine was definitely better than SDSU, NDSU, WIU, Elon, or even Ga. Southern, they just met the criterya and didn't play any of those teams head to head. I have a feeling that if any of those teams were qualified, they get in over Maine. If there's a problem, it's with the selection criteria and not with the CAA, yet the conference gets heat for it.

The only way to solve it is to have a 5 game season, expand the playoffs to 64 teams and start them in October.

And if you're really saying that you'd rather have San Diego or Dayton in there, I think it defeats the purpose of trying to get the best 8 at-large teams in the bracket.

I agree it is not neccesarily the CAA fault that the committee favored them in 08 and allowed Maine to get in, but that doesnt mean we cant be pissed off about it xthumbsupx. And San Diego nor Dayton can get in as their leauge has a no schollie clause. However teams like SDSU, Liberty, Southern Illinois, Albany, ect....all i think had a better case to get in.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Was that the year we beat half of them? :p
That would have been 2003. The MVC went 3-1 in the first round and 1-2 in the Quarters. I remember a lot of debate as to whether they proved they deserved 4 teams. After the first week, it was decidely yes, but after the second round... xeyebrowx

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM

You think San Diego or Dayton should have gotten the 5th spot xlolx The reality is the 8 at large bids should go to the BEST 8 teams. PERIOD. Doesn't matter if they come from 2,3,4, or 5 different conferences. Remember, you have to have 7 Div I wins, which eliminates alot of 7-4 teams from the CAA/So-Con/MVFC/Big Sky who play a Div II. If not Maine and W&M, then who had a BETTER RESUME? Some say Liberty, but they had 8 Div I wins to Maine's 8. Liberty also lost to a transition Presbyterian and a non scholly Lafayette. Plus they beat 2 Div 2 teams.

5 of 12 CAA teams got in, about 42%. Its possible (although unlikely) that the So-Con could get 4 of 9 in, which would be about 44%, higher than the CAA.

FWIW, I think this season the CAA will get 4 in (3 at large), and the So-Con will get 3 in (2 at large). That would be the same %, 1/3 of each conference. Think the MVFC will get 2-3 in (1-2 at large, esp depending on who wins the SDSU/GSU game) , the Big Sky will get 2 in (1 at large, esp since EWU is on probation) which would be 7-8 at large. That might mean one at large from either the Southland, Great West, or Big South.

Redbird Ray
July 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Redbird Ray, you are a bitter man my friend, a bitter man.

very much so :)

Redbird Ray
July 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
First off, a big part of it is the CAA has 12 teams. That's at least one more bid before the teams take the field. Lately, the CAA has been performing better as a whole than the SoCon and MVC. That's another bid. Last year was just a weird year. I think pretty much every CAA fan here has said Maine wasn't really deserving of a bid, but there was nobody else out there who was more deserving.

Who knows, maybe the CAA will not be as good, beat each other up and only get three bids. You do know that the MVC was the first conference to get four bids in one year, don't you? Things change.

Yes, I am aware of all this. And I'll give you the point of CAA being larger and therefore, in good years, deserving a 4th bid. But there's no way in hell Maine deserved to be in over the second and third place teams from a number of other conferences. That is East Coast Bias my friend.

And yes, I'm an idiot, Villanova is in the Southxoopsx, but they still play two non-schollies just about every year and that is weaksauce. xcoolx

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
I agree it is not neccesarily the CAA fault that the committee favored them in 08 and allowed Maine to get in, but that doesnt mean we cant be pissed off about it xthumbsupx. And San Diego nor Dayton can get in as their leauge has a no schollie clause. However teams like SDSU, Liberty, Southern Illinois, Albany, ect....all i think had a better case to get in.

-SIU was in the playoffs. Hello xconfusedx
-Liberty was 8-2 vs I-AA. They played no I-A, played 2 Div 2, lost to 4-8 in transition Presbyterian and non scholly Lafayette.
-SDSU had 5 losses. No 5 loss team has ever gotten an at large.xlolx
-Albany? They went 1-3 vs the CAA OOC. I mean, they lost to UD 38-7 last season xeekx

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Yes, I am aware of all this. And I'll give you the point of CAA being larger and therefore, in good years, deserving a 4th bid. But there's no way in hell Maine deserved to be in over the second and third place teams from a number of other conferences. That is East Coast Bias my friend.

And yes, I'm an idiot, Villanova is in the Southxoopsx, but they still play two non-schollies just about every year and that is weaksauce. xcoolx

Again who? Don't just name the teams, but lay out their resumes.

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
FWIW after next season (2010) we'll be having this arguement about who should have gotten the 10th and last at large. 2010 playoffs go to 20 teams. If it was last year's results, Liberty and Albany would have been the 2 additional AQ, and the 2 additonal at large would have come do W&M, JSU, and Elon. And whichever 1 of those 3 teams didn't get in would be bitchin about how they were screwed. The only other team from the scholly confereces that had the requisite 7 Div I wins was FAMU and SDSU (5 losses, and again, no 5 loss team has ever gotten an AQ).

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
unfortunately for your argument, there is no tougher league. xcoolx

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM

Why? Sand Diego and Dayton have yet to put forth a deserving season. Just give them a spot because you think another team has too many teams in? Stupid!

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
In the 2000's...

UNI vs Morningside, Prairie View, Wayne State, Wayne State, Mankato State, Drake, Minnesota-Duluth, Drake, North Dakota, Mankato State, Drake, South Dakota, St Francis.

SIU vs Drake, Kentucky Wesleyan, West Virginia Tech, Quincy, St Josephs, William Penn, Union, Lock Haven, Ark-PB, Southern Utah, Quincy, Southern Utah, Ark-PB, North Dakota, Southwest Baptist.

Those are the top two teams since 2000 and they are averaging quite a bit more than one per year vs non-playoff I-AA's or DII's. xpeacex
89Hen take a long shot from behind the arch..... NOTHING BUT NET!

Redbird Ray
July 22nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Again who? Don't just name the teams, but lay out their resumes.

South Dakota St., Montana St., Central Arkansas, McNeese St., Elon...all had 7 wins, any of whom would have made more sense than Maine.

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM

If you don't think wins over "weaksauce" teams like Lehigh are worthy then why aren't you arguing for the Patriot to lose their AQ?

Last I looked, second place teams from the power conferences all got in, so are you arguing that #2s from the Southland, MEAC or OVC were more deserving? Check out some of the OOC schedules for those teams, and then apply your "weaksauce" standard.

Only one team deserved a spot more than Maine last year, and I think you can guess who that was.

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
South Dakota St., Montana St., Central Arkansas, McNeese St., Elon...all had 7 wins, any of whom would have made more sense than Maine.
Central Arkansas isnt playoff eligible yet.

McNeese only had 5 Div I wins, not eligible.

Montana State only had 6 Div I wins, not eligible.

Elon lacked any real impressive wins and got crushed by Liberty.

South Dakota State lacked any real impressive wins.

For what its worth, Maine also lacked an impressive win but no argument can be made that any of the other teams lacking impressive wins were more deserving.

SUUTbird
July 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
If you don't think wins over "weaksauce" teams like Lehigh are worthy then why aren't you arguing for the Patriot to lose their AQ?

Last I looked, second place teams from the power conferences all got in, so are you arguing that #2s from the Southland, MEAC or OVC were more deserving? Check out some of the OOC schedules for those teams, and then apply your "weaksauce" standard.

Only one team deserved a spot more than Maine last year, and I think you can guess who that was.

Way to sound just like the BCS in stating "this team is weak and not good enough to get in because they play in this conference" crap xthumbsdownx. There were alot better choices then maine for the 08 playoffs (Liberty,SDSU, SIU, ect..) and it shouldnt matter what conference, ANY team from ANY conference (that can get in the playoffs) deserves a shot regardless of the competition. If there is one thing about college football that is enjoyable to watch its underdog stories and proving the critics wrong. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
July 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
Way to sound just like the BCS in stating "this team is weak because they play in this conference" crap xthumbsdownx. There were alot better choices then maine for the 08 playoffs (Liberty,SDSU, SIU, ect..) and it shouldnt matter what conference, ANY team from ANY conference (that can get in the playoffs) deserves a shot regardless of the competition. If there is one thing about college football that is enjoyable to watch its underdog stories and proving the critics wrong. xthumbsupx

When did he say that??

He was applying the OOC argument that RayRay was making to the other teams.

SUUTbird
July 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Exactly my point, several CAA schools had weaksauce opponents as well, its not everyone but the CAA.

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM

Are you that ignorant? I've already stated this, but apparently you don't read to well. So I'll state it again. Read really slowly: YOU HAVE TO HAVE S-E-V-E-N, THATS 7 DIVISION I WINS TO GET AN AT LARGE BID.xrulesx
-Cent Ark: Was playoff ineligible last season. Will be playoff ineligible this season. Hello xconfusedx
-MCNeese State: Only had 5 Div I wins. Delta State and Southern VA aren't Div I.
-Montana State: Only had 6 Div I wins. Adams State isn't Div I.

-Elon didn't play an FBS, and had 4 FCS losses. Maine did play an FBS and had only 3 FCS losses.

-SDSU's had 7 Div I wins. Maine had 8.

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM

For what its worth, Maine also lacked an impressive win but no argument can be made that any of the other teams lacking impressive wins were more deserving.

Beat me to it.

Redbird Ray
July 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM

You mean aside from the fact that it would have made for a playoff that didn't feature 5 teams from one conference.

Forgot about the UCA issue. If a team (Mont St.) has the guts to schedule 2 FBS schools, and they are competitive otherwise 7 wins (dont care if they are all D1 wins), they should be rewarded with a playoff bid.

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 10:53 AM
Way to sound just like the BCS in stating "this team is weak and not good enough to get in because they play in this conference" crap xthumbsdownx. There were alot better choices then maine for the 08 playoffs (Liberty,SDSU, SIU, ect..) and it shouldnt matter what conference, ANY team from ANY conference (that can get in the playoffs) deserves a shot regardless of the competition. If there is one thing about college football that is enjoyable to watch its underdog stories and proving the critics wrong. xthumbsupx

Not sure how you see me arguing that. I was asking the Redbird to justify his characterization of Lehigh as "weaksauce". Jump on his case, not mine.

SDSU was not playoff eligible last year. Who is "SIU"? Liberty blew their playoff shot when they got pounded at home by Lafayette (who I'm sure the Redbird would characterize as "weaksauce").

ElonPride
July 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
YOU HAVE TO HAVE S-E-V-E-N, THATS 7 DIVISION I WINS TO GET AN AT LARGE BID.xrulesx

Thought that was more of a "verbal" point from the playoff committee, and not written into the guidelines. Is that not a corrrect assumption?

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
You mean aside from the fact that it would have made for a playoff that didn't feature 5 teams from one conference.

Forgot about the UCA issue. If a team (Mont St.) has the guts to schedule 2 FBS schools, and they are competitive otherwise 7 wins (dont care if they are all D1 wins), they should be rewarded with a playoff bid.

How thick are you? You have to have 7 Div I wins to get an at large. Period. Doesn't matter if you schedule 1, 2 3, 5 FBS schools. Dems the rules.xrulesx

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM

that is not a reason to leave a team out of the playoffs... If you can't come up with a better argument then go find another thread to whine in.

No one cares what you rhink about how competitive Montana State was... EVERY TEAM knows the rules when they make the schedule... Don't get 7 Div I wins, you wont be in the playoffs... If you want a better shot at the playoffs then play a team that will actually count for you instead of a Div II team.

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM

Your argument should be with the NCAA Committee, not the CAA. While we're at it, let's just do away with all playoff requirements except final winning percentage. Then Jacksonville, Dayton and San Diego can limit the MVFC to only two teams.

SUUTbird
July 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Didnt mean to put SIU (southern illinois) in there, but now your saying if a team is upset once that automatically means they cant get in?

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Thought that was more of a "verbal" point from the playoff committee, and not written into the guidelines. Is that not a corrrect assumption?

It is written into the guidelines that teams without seven D-I wins will get less consideration. Makes it pretty clear that without seven, you ain't getting in.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
There were alot better choices then maine for the 08 playoffs (Liberty,SDSU, SIU, ect..)
First off, SIU was IN the playoffs. Can we please stop including them in the list.

Liberty's lone ranked win was Elon and were 8-2 vs DI opponents.

SDSU didn't have any ranked wins and were 7-5. NO 5 loss team has EVER gotten an at-large.

I'm not seeing "alot".

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Didnt mean to put SIU (southern illinois) in there, but now your saying if a team is upset once that automatically means they cant get in?
Liberty had a weak argument to begin with, getting crushed in the final game to a not so good team did kill any chance they had.

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 11:01 AM

In Liberty's case it was the telling loss. The rest of their resume was not strong enough to convince the committee they deserved the spot over Maine.

jmufan999

yeah actually i think you might be right about that.

regardless, this gets so old so fast.

to all the people saying the CAA gets too many teams in: you're right. the committee (which is comprised of AD's from EVERY region in the country equally) just has it out for you guys. and they've done this two straight years, JUST to spite you. no wait, someone must be bribing them. no wait, they just don't know football at all. or maybe it's just plain old not fair! (this is where you run to your room, sobbing... slamming the door behind you and writing in your diary)

89Hen

xnutsx Conversation over.

SUUTbird
I understand that, but when the comittee decides to overload the playoffs with teams from one conference...that is total crap, and in reference to maine here we go thinking again like the bcs...they play so and so, and that means they arent good enough to get into the playoffs. Thats bull.

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
It is written into the guidelines that teams without seven D-I wins will get less consideration. Makes it pretty clear that without seven, you ain't getting in.
Here is the exact wording.

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

SUUTbird
July 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
And i personally believe Liberty would have done rather well in the playoffs, they had a bad game, who hasnt?

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
I understand that, but when the comittee decides to overload the playoffs with teams from one conference...that is total crap, and in reference to maine here we go thinking again like the bcs...they play so and so, and that means they arent good enough to get into the playoffs. Thats bull.
so if UNH became an indy and scheduled the likes of St. Francis, Monmouth and Stonby Brook every season and went 11-0 every season averaging 55 points per game and allowing 10 per game. Are they worthy of a playoff spot based on that?

NO!

Who you play is a big part of the decision making for atlarge bids and has nothing to do with the BCS.

tribe_pride
July 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM

Assuming you are talking about Liberty. Besides losing to Lafayette, they also lost to a 4-8 Presbyterian team who only had 1 other D-I win. The other 2 were D-II I believe. I don't think any of the other contenders had a loss that was that bad.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
And i personally believe Liberty would have done rather well in the playoffs
No offense, but that's not a reason for the NCAA to select them. xpeacex

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
And i personally believe Liberty would have done rather well in the playoffs, they had a bad game, who hasnt?
I personally believe the Red Sox would have beaten the Phillies if not for that bad game they had in the ALCS game 7.

Can I now demand the Phillies turn over the World Series Trophy to Boston?

I personally believe the Patriots would have won the Super Bowl last year if not for that bad game against Miami early in the season which eventually kept them from the playoffs.

Can I now demand the Steelers turn over the Lombardi Trophy to the Patriots?

I personally believe the Bruins would have won the Stanley Cup if not for the bad game they had against Carolina in game 7.

Can I now demand the Penguins hand over the Stanley Cup to the Bruins?

I personally believe the Patriots would have won the Super Bowl vs the Giants if not for that unbelievable catch by Tyree.

Can I now demand the Giants hand over that Lombardi Trophy to the Patriots?

I personally believe the Red Sox would have won the 2003 World Series if Grady Little wasnt a moron leaving Pedro in so long in game 7 of the ALCS,

Can I now demand the Marlings hand over the World Series trophy?

Hey, I like this game you gone and started.

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
I understand that, but when the comittee decides to overload the playoffs with teams from one conference...that is total bull, and in reference to maine here we go thinking again like the bcs...they play so and so, and that means they arent good enough to get into the playoffs. Thats bull.

The committee's job is to pick the best eight teams to complete the field. They give no consideration to conference affiliation when choosing at-large teams. Strength of schedule is the primary factor for them when making comparisons of teams. They have their own formulas for strength of schedule, but history tells us that it is probably very close to the GPI.

What you and others seem to be arguing is that a team (Maine) should have been kept out of the playoffs because of the conference they belong to. That they should be punished because they happen to belong to a large conference that has alot of good teams. That the deciding factor in choosing the last few teams in should not be who is best, but who is over-represented. "No Child Left Behind" comes to collegiate football!

JmuSkinsfan
July 22nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
This is such a stupid argument. Basically everyone played themselves out of the #5 spot last year. I personally think W&M got hosed, and should have been in place of Maine. Everyone else didn't qualify because of the # of wins (6 div 1) and Liberty literally played themselves out of their spot. They weren't even necessarily a guarantee to make the playoffs had they won their last game, but they got beat badly, so they didn't even get to be discussed.

I thought the discussion last year after the selection show was how W&M got hosed .... where is all this crap about other conference teams coming from? Noone else deserved to be in there!!!

I remember after the last week of the season last year looking at the bubble teams and seeing that noone qualified who had a legitimate shot (sorry Dayton and San Diego, you wouldn't make the playoffs if you went 12-0 because you play all pansies) ... William and Mary, Liberty and Maine were all that were left standing, and Liberty had just come off a big loss ....

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
This is such a stupid argument. Basically everyone played themselves out of the #5 spot last year. I personally think W&M got hosed, and should have been in place of Maine. Everyone else didn't qualify because of the # of wins (6 div 1) and Liberty literally played themselves out of their spot. They weren't even necessarily a guarantee to make the playoffs had they won their last game, but they got beat badly, so they didn't even get to be discussed.
I thought the discussion last year after the selection show was how W&M got hosed .... where is all this crap about other conference teams coming from? Noone else deserved to be in there!!!

I remember after the last week of the season last year looking at the bubble teams and seeing that noone qualified who had a legitimate shot (sorry Dayton and San Diego, you wouldn't make the playoffs if you went 12-0 because you play all pansies) ... William and Mary, Liberty and Maine were all that were left standing, and Liberty had just come off a big loss ....

I agree about Liberty not having the resume, but Liberty beat Elon 26-3 in their last game. xconfusedx

tribe_pride
July 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
I agree about Liberty not having the resume, but Liberty beat Elon 26-3 in their last game. xconfusedx

Yeah I think people are mixing up Elon and Liberty. Elon played itself out with its last few games especially the Liberty blow out. Liberty played itself out according to Tribe4sf with the Lafayette loss and I think with the Presbyterian loss.

JmuSkinsfan
July 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM

I apologize, I meant the loss to presbyterian (i got elon and liberty mixed up haha)

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Liberty had a weak argument to begin with, getting crushed in the final game to a not so good team did kill any chance they had.

Liberty beat Elon in their final game 26-3. xconfusedx

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM

Yeah, they busted Elon's bubble. The thing with Liberty was not only the loss to Lafayette, but their loss to transitional Presbyterian. With their strength of schedule, they just couldn't afford two bad losses.

UNHWildCats
July 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Liberty beat Elon in their final game 26-3. xconfusedx
i too got Elon and Liberty mixed up xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Doesnt change the fact though, Elon and Libert were both undeserving of the playoffs.

BossEagle
July 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Sooooo.....bowl games it is???? all in favor...!

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
Yup. Pretty much EVERYONE here had it...

1. Maine
2. W&M
3. Liberty

or

1. W&M
2. Maine
3. Liberty

We are being pretty mean to these new guys. SUUTbird and Redbird Ray, please stick around and keep interacting. xthumbsupx

jmufan999
July 22nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
if you think about it, this same issue comes up in college basketball.....

"(insert conference with most bids) got too many in." there really is no right answer, all we have is subjectivity. the committee is designed to be impartial. the fact that there were 5 bids in two STRAIGHT years... don't you think the committee was aware of this? and don't you think they knew there would be backlash for doing so? that speaks EVEN MORE to why we CAA fans feel this way. they knew they would catch hell because many people look at it in a very superficial way ("this conference had too many bids") instead of looking at the best overall eligible at-large teams. so if the committee knew they were going to get grief for it, and they STILL gave us 5 bids, it's either speaking to the depth of our conference or at least the lack of depth in all the other conferences. how can one logically argue otherwise?

jmufan999
July 22nd, 2009, 01:09 PM
whoops forgot something. i know i said this in another thread... or maybe it was this thread. whatever, i'm saying it again so deal with it.

so the committee chooses 5 teams... and 4 of them make it to the final 8 (so they go 4-1 in the first round), didn't those CAA teams prove to the committee that they made a good choice? so why are you all upset if the CAA teams are WINNING in the playoffs? how does that not prove it to you? are you upset because of the ONE LOSS??? so you're giving us crap for going 4-1... in the PLAYOFFS.

yeah, that makes a lot of sense. and for what it's worth, how often does the "last team in" actually win their first round game? that was my point... Maine, Liberty, and W&M, i think all of them would have struggled against UNI. that's not a knock against them, UNI was a damn good team. almost took out the eventual national champs, that speaks to their talent.

long story short, i can't think that the "last team in" usually does very well regardless of what conference it is. if you think that Elon would have gone on the road and beaten UNI in the Unidome, with that crowd noise... 1 week after getting pummeled by Liberty, i think you're sorely, sorely mistaken.

RabidRabbit
July 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
SDSU did themselves in, especially in letting the McNeese Cowboys escape Brookings with a win. They went 1-3 OOC.

This year the Jacks have MN Gophers, GA Southern, and Cal Poly OOC. If they go 2-1 OOC, and hold their home games, they'll be in the play-offs. Most challenging MVFC away game should be YSU/WIU.

YSU was a highly erratic team in '08. Which team will show up in Youngstown this year vs Jacks? WIU had two stars, and graduated both, a middling QB. I believe the Jacks will win all their away MVFC games this season.

Jack will be one of the last teams selected for the 2009 play-offs, after finishing in a three-way tie for first with 2 conference losses. UNI/SIU the other two co-champs. xtwocentsx

Redbird Ray
July 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
Rejoice! For this will be the last post I make on this thread. Maine had OOC wins last year against Monmouth, Stony Brook, and Iona. Are you kidding me? These are 3 of the 7 wins they had to attain credibility in receiving an at large. And don't give me any crap about the NEC and Big South. Those conferences suck.

In conf. they barely skated by a number of weak CAA North (totally confident Maine is in the CAA North :o).

If there was any sort of judgement on SOS or RPI like index, as their should be in tournament entry playoff format, Maine would have been out and SDSU, even with the OOC loses would be in.

I gaurantee CAA does not get 5 bids this year.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
If there was any sort of judgement on SOS or RPI like index, as their should be in tournament entry playoff format, Maine would have been out and SDSU, even with the OOC loses would be in.
You mean like this?...

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/stats/writer/GPI/20081124gpi.html

14 Maine
18 Liberty
26 S Dakota St

tribe_pride
July 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
You mean like this?...

12 William & Mary
14 Maine
16. Elon
18 Liberty
26 S Dakota St

Fixed ;)

By the way Ray, you don't need to stop posting on the thread.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Fixed ;)
Yes, quite right. My oversight. :o

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
SDSU did themselves in, especially in letting the McNeese Cowboys escape Brookings with a win. They went 1-3 OOC.

This year the Jacks have MN Gophers, GA Southern, and Cal Poly OOC. If they go 2-1 OOC, and hold their home games, they'll be in the play-offs. Most challenging MVFC away game should be YSU/WIU.

YSU was a highly erratic team in '08. Which team will show up in Youngstown this year vs Jacks? WIU had two stars, and graduated both, a middling QB. I believe the Jacks will win all their away MVFC games this season.

Jack will be one of the last teams selected for the 2009 play-offs, after finishing in a three-way tie for first with 2 conference losses. UNI/SIU the other two co-champs. xtwocentsx

SDSU won't beat both SIU and UNI at home.

Last season you had a bunch of OOC games between playoff eligible ranked teams:
UR @ Elon
FU @ UD (was top 10 at the time I believe)
ASU @ JMU
Montana @ Cal Poly

This season OOC between playoff eligible ranked teams:
SDSU @ Cal Poly
GSU @ SDSU
Cal Poly @ Montana
Cal Poly @ Weber St

I might have missed 1.

Its highly likely GSU will beat Albany and lose to UNC. Its better than 50/50 SDSU will win @ Cal Poly (no Dally, Barden & new HC) and lose to Minnesota. Highly likely that neither GSU or SDSU will go 7-1 in their respective conferences. Which means the loser of the GSU @ SDSU game on 9/12 highly likely won't make the playoffs, while the winner will have a decent shot. That game should be national game of the week over what might be considered "sexier" picks in McNeese @ ASU and UR @ UD. xcoffeex

ChickenMan
July 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
You can turn it upside down.. inside out and throw against the wall.. but regardless.. it always comes out the same way........ the CAA deserved the five playoff bids they received last year. The ONLY legitimate debate was... should that 5th school have been Maine or W&M.

tribe_pride
July 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
And nobody from the CAA is arguing that the CAA deserves 5 bids this year so that should not be part of the discussion right now.

In fact if you look at the beginning to middle of November, I believe (but am not positive) that the CAA members on this board were all saying that 4 bids made sense until the contenders in the other conferences self-destructed during the final week or 2 (not sure that Liberty was even in consideration at that point either).

UNIFanSince1983
July 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Last year the only team with a legitimate beef that they were left out of the playoffs was William and Mary. I think they would have fared better in the Dome than Maine. Maine was a decent team, but when you rely on the running game as much as they do against a great run defense you will have problems.

This year it seems pretty up in the air. There are a few teams that seem to be locks for the playoffs, but for the most part those last few seeds SHOULD come down to more teams this year than last year (unless someone Elons themselves). I think it should play out pretty awesome and there are quite a few great matchups. I think like BDKJMU said that GSU/SDSU game looks to be a play in game of sorts. I think if SDSU pulls it out they will make the playoffs as I think they can probably beat everyone in the conference except maybe UNI or SIU (but having those in Brookings is a huge plus and will help out).

Anyway you look at it I can't wait for the season to start so all the speculation goes away, and our teams show us who the real contenders and pretenders are!!

wideright82
July 22nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
You can turn it upside down.. inside out and throw against the wall.. but regardless.. it always comes out the same way........ the CAA deserved the five playoff bids they received last year. The ONLY legitimate debate was... should that 5th school have been Maine or W&M.

Even the year before when we got 5 it was between UNH and Nova..... xcoffeex

R.A.
July 22nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
They disappointed me last year. I'm waiting for FAMU to return to the front of the MEAC. They had a couple good showings in the playoffs too before they made that I-A blunder.

September 4 at Delaware State L 35-28 1-1 (0-1)
October 4 South Carolina State L 28-21 3-2 (1-2)
November 1 Morgan State L 13-10 6-3 (2-3)

That's how close they were last season from going undefeated. So it's going to be interesting folks.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Morgan State L 13-10 6-3 (2-3)
xoopsx xoopsx No offense to Bears fans.

Big Dawg
July 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
xoopsx xoopsx No offense to Bears fans.

In all 3 of those games, the refs made one HORRIBLE call that cost us each game.

Delaware State...bogus pass interference call late in the game.

SCSU...forward pass that was ruled a fumble...Bulldogs ran it back for a touchdown as the Rattler offense was saying "WTF!?"

Morgan St...where do I start.

Sure we shouldn't use the refs as an excuse because we didn't execute like we shuld've, but they sure didn't help our cause.

Native
July 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Agreed. I can't think of a scenario where they don't make the playoffs. xcoolx

Me three. I reckon Montana will make it.

slycat
July 22nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Not Quite! Eligible in 2010..next year. But I do like your confidence in that perennial top 15 transitional team! xthumbsupxxlolx

Don't get that NDSU confidence now....:p

Redbird Ray
July 23rd, 2009, 06:36 AM
You mean like this?...

14 Maine
18 Liberty
26 S Dakota St

Not bad, I wouldn't give the same weight to all of the SOS indexes as some seem to take probability into the discussion much more than actual outcomes, but this looks ok for now. Are they going to use this for the playoff field this year?

It's been real, but I have to go to Ann Arbor/Detroit to go take a leak on the big house, and see my ChiSox take over the Central this weekend. Im out. :)

elcid83
July 23rd, 2009, 07:10 AM

BIG SOUTH:

Sorry Tbird,

Liberty lost their shot at the playoffs last year when they got thumped 31-28 by a terrible PC team [admittedly, not a usual thumping, but by the PC team that beat them, it was a thumping]. Liberty also graduates lots and lots of very talented all year starters who did not give the reserves a chance to get seasoned. It is going to take them a couple of games to get their legs before anyone believes they are serious Big South Championship contenders, much less playoff contenders.

As for me, I'll be a homer and add my Gardner Webb Runnin' Bulldogs into the playoff picture. The Runnin' Bulldogs return lots of seasoned talent and are looking to return to the top of the Big South. An upset over NC State or Buffalo will solidify their playoff chances if they win the Big South.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

elcid83
July 23rd, 2009, 07:34 AM

They had a bad game against a terrible PC Blue Hose team. That is going to keep you out of the playoffs every time.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

BDKJMU
July 23rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
Sorry Tbird,

Liberty lost their shot at the playoffs last year when they got thumped 31-28 by a terrible PC team [admittedly, not a usual thumping, but by the PC team that beat them, it was a thumping]. Liberty also graduates lots and lots of very talented all year starters who did not give the reserves a chance to get seasoned. It is going to take them a couple of games to get their legs before anyone believes they are serious Big South Championship contenders, much less playoff contenders.

As for me, I'll be a homer and add my Gardner Webb Runnin' Bulldogs into the playoff picture. The Runnin' Bulldogs return lots of seasoned talent and are looking to return to the top of the Big South. An upset over NC State or Buffalo will solidify their playoff chances if they win the Big South.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Problem is GWU has 2 I-As but also 2 DIIs on their schedule. Would have to go 9-2, in all liklihood 7-0 vs the I-AA competition to get the 7 Div I wins to be playoff eligible, and I don't know if that would be good enough because there's a good chance there wouldn't be a quality win in there. Might have to knock off Buffalo and go 10-1 to get an at-large. The GWU AD basically screwed much chance of the playoofs by scheduling 2 Div I-As and 2 Div IIs.

https://goomer.ncaa.org/reports/rwservlet?hidden_run_parameters=p_mfb_complete_sch edule&pn_acadyr=2009&pv_division=1&pv_subdivision=2

Southern VA? I'm from VA, and until last year I'd never evn heard of them. Are they even Div II?

SUUTbird
July 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Personally i think the team to watch out for in the Big South this year is VMI. With talent returning, the triple option offense and Sparky Woods at the helm the Keydets i think could really make an impact this year.

mcveyrl
July 23rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Problem is GWU has 2 I-As but also 2 DIIs on their schedule. Would have to go 9-2, in all liklihood 7-0 vs the I-AA competition to get the 7 Div I wins to be playoff eligible, and I don't know if that would be good enough because there's a good chance there wouldn't be a quality win in there. Might have to knock off Buffalo and go 10-1 to get an at-large. The GWU AD basically screwed much chance of the playoofs by scheduling 2 Div I-As and 2 Div IIs.

https://goomer.ncaa.org/reports/rwservlet?hidden_run_parameters=p_mfb_complete_sch edule&pn_acadyr=2009&pv_division=1&pv_subdivision=2

Southern VA? I'm from VA, and until last year I'd never evn heard of them. Are they even Div II?

I believe they are NAIA. They plaed McNeese last year, IIRC.

GannonFan
July 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Personally i think the team to watch out for in the Big South this year is VMI. With talent returning, the triple option offense and Sparky Woods at the helm the Keydets i think could really make an impact this year.

I throw VMI in the same boat as I do WCU and TN-Chatty - plenty of times we've been told that they will become a team to watch out for, and it's been a long, long time since any of those teams have been anywhere close to deserving of that moniker. I wouldn't hold my breath on VMI this year. xreadx

SUUTbird
July 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
I would for VMI, this will be Sparky Woods second year as head coach and in his first year the Keydets shattered alot of expectations and did better then anyone thought they would. I see VMI easily taking the number one or two spot this year.

JMU Newbill
July 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I believe they are NAIA. They plaed McNeese last year, IIRC.

I've never heard of them either. What city is that in?

bostonspider
July 23rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
They are associated with the LDS Church (though not officially affiiated) and are based in Buena Vista, VA. Buena Vista is in Rockbridge County. Very small school, looks like less than 800 full time students...

GannonFan
July 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
I would for VMI, this will be Sparky Woods second year as head coach and in his first year the Keydets shattered alot of expectations and did better then anyone thought they would. I see VMI easily taking the number one or two spot this year.

Just asking, but "shattered alot of expectations"? How? They won 2 more games than the year before, but 4-7 is hardly a great record. And those 4 wins came against teams that none of which had a winning record and had a combined record of 12-33. Sure they beat a so-so Coastal Carolina team, but that was it. No other wins of note. Of course anything could happen, but VMI was hardly a juggernaut last year (or any of the previous 25 years) to all of a sudden predict that they've turned a corner. Just saying.

BDKJMU
July 23rd, 2009, 03:10 PM
They are associated with the LDS Church (though not officially affiiated) and are based in Buena Vista, VA. Buena Vista is in Rockbridge County. Very small school, looks like less than 800 full time students...

45 minutes from JMU, and I never heard of them before last yr.