PDA

View Full Version : Prairie View A&M to the Southland conference?

Panther88
July 19th, 2009, 07:16 PM
PV should bolt the SWAC really soon in hopes of joining the SLC. Financially/travel/budget/regional matchups are very attractive while TxState/UT-SA bolt for FBS'dom (anticipating) :

1. SHSU
2. SFA
3. McNeese
4. Prairie View A&M
5. UCA
6. Lamar
7. SELA
8. UTA
9. Northwestern
10. Nicholls

While keeping our tilt w/ Grambling @ the SFC in Dallas, if not an FBS Tx school (UNT, SMU, Rice, UofH, Baylor, et al). Assuming the 10 previous will have their football programs in order by 2010 (Lamar/UTA) .

We have the infrastructure and we'll have the new stadium w/ fans to support such a move.

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Prairie View A&M - that's a new one!

Do not forget Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is also in the league. If the SLC lost two teams (UTSA, TXST) as you proposed - we'd either stay at 10 or add two.

The names of schools mentioned in the past: Houston Baptist, Centenary, UT-Pan American, Tarleton State, Delta State, New Orleans

FYI - UTA is not adding football!

Panther88
July 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I thought UTA was gearing up for the 2010 football season (like Lamar)? xreadx They had a summer camp (or two if memory serves correct) to stir up interest in potential recruits from Tx-La-Ark.

Totally forgot about aTm-CC since they're not a football playing school. Regionally speaking, and that could even equate financially xreadx, it makes better sense for PV to be in the SLC.

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I thought UTA was gearing up for the 2010 football season (like Lamar)? xreadx They had a summer camp (or two if memory serves correct) to stir up interest in potential recruits from Tx-La-Ark.

UTSA is starting football in 2011. That is probably who you were thinking about. UT-Arlington has a club football team, but decided that a special events facility was the way to go for them instead of a football team. Football is often mentioned at the school, but we are now approaching 25 years without one at UT-Arlington.

Totally forgot about aTm-CC since they're not a football playing school. Regionally speaking, and that could even equate financially xreadx, it makes better sense for PV to be in the SLC.

Is it financially better? Perhaps in the long run, but right away - PV would have to spend a pretty penny to upgrade facilities - namely football, baseball and softball. The Panthers would also be behind the eight-ball competition-wise all sports would be a 'step up' from the SWAC. I think PV would be able to compete instantly in women's hoops - but not sure they'd be a threat in much more.

El Gato
July 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Pan Am will never get the funds to field a legitimate football team. Even if they did, all the athletes would come straight out of the RGV, and it would be good for them, but I don't see it happening. If they do, is the SLC that serious about granting them full membership? The Bronc baseball team had 13 wins last season and were ranked in the bottom 5 in the nation. The basketball teams are just as bad, and I don't even remember what volleyball and other sports are like. I attended that university for 2 years, before transferring to Texas State, and it was the worst two years of my life.

But if we are talking football, they have had some success...xwhistlex

Students can get involved with extracurricular sports teams such as The University of Texas-Pan American intramural flag football team, the Stallions, who were recently crowned the 2007 National Intramural Recreation Sports Association Flag Football Champions. xeyebrowx
http://www.utpa.edu/tuition/advantages.htm

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Pan Am will never get the funds to field a legitimate football team. Even if they did, all the athletes would come straight out of the RGV, and it would be good for them, but I don't see it happening. If they do, is the SLC that serious about granting them full membership? The Bronc baseball team had 13 wins last season and were ranked in the bottom 5 in the nation. The basketball teams are just as bad, and I don't even remember what volleyball and other sports are like. I attended that university for 2 years, before transferring to Texas State, and it was the worst two years of my life.

UT-Pan Am has applied. I am not lending any credibility to their efforts (same goes for Centenary, who looks destined for Div III), but they have applied, have been an affiliate member of the league in the past (men's tennis) and will more than likely apply any chance they get.

El Gato
July 19th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Also, wasn't Pam-Am looking at gaining entrance into the Great West Conference? If that is the case, why doesn't Prairie-View consider that route if the SLC doesn't work out?

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Also, wasn't Pam-Am looking at gaining entrance into the Great West Conference? If that is the case, why doesn't Prairie-View consider that route if the SLC doesn't work out?

UT-Pan American is in the Great West Conference (along with Houston Baptist).

The league stretches to a very big footprint and would cost Prairie View even more money than the SWAC and SLC. While the Panthers are not in the bad financial straits that some of their SWAC counterparts are, I do not think it would be feasible.

They have a home in the SWAC and with the tradition there, could any of those teams leave? Only changes I see there are if Tennessee State, Florida A&M or someone like that joined them. No one is leaving. Those schools have a hard enough time keeping up with the other Div I schools.

txstatebobcat
July 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I'm sure that Prairie View would save tons of money on travel costs. Otherwise I wonder how the panther fan base would take the loss of their traditional conference rivals.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 20th, 2009, 12:53 AM
It was either 05 or 06 when the SLC Brass approached our former Regent Chairmen about offering us membership (at the time the SLC was wanting to move their headquarters to Houston).

Big Dawg
July 20th, 2009, 01:19 AM
They have a home in the SWAC and with the tradition there, could any of those teams leave? Only changes I see there are if Tennessee State, Florida A&M or someone like that joined them

Hell no

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I'm sure that Prairie View would save tons of money on travel costs. Otherwise I wonder how the panther fan base would take the loss of their traditional conference rivals.

Thinking more on it - Prairie View A&M becomes a Tennessee State-like program with the move. After a few years, they will have no choice, but to become more competitive on the greater scale.

TnSt has become relatively competitive and has won conference champions in a PWC conference in sports that HBCUs have not typically fared well in. They have become a different program compared to what one expects of the HBCUs. Not sure why this is, I'm just looking at conference titles and not so much, the personnel.

Same thing for PV. In order to compete, they would have to fix up facilities, increase coaches' salaries, etc. They would play and within years, beat their former SWAC competitors across the board, just like their new conference-mates do at a clip of 90% plus across all sports.

Redbird Ray
July 20th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Does anyone else think Corpus Chrisit (UTCC) would be a good FCS market? Maybe like a Tenn-Chattanooga, or a Sac State? xcoffeex

NSUDemon98
July 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Do not forget Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is also in the league. If the SLC lost two teams (UTSA, TXST) as you proposed - we'd either stay at 10 or add two.

The names of schools mentioned in the past: Houston Baptist, Centenary, UT-Pan American, Tarleton State, Delta State, New Orleans

If they don't have football they don't need to be in the SLC. xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I don't know if it will ever happen, but I could see it. For the SLC especially it could mitigate the loss of a Texas State since the SLC would no longer lose its foothold in football-mad EAST Texas.

Panther88
July 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Thinking more on it - Prairie View A&M becomes a Tennessee State-like program with the move. After a few years, they will have no choice, but to become more competitive on the greater scale.

Thank you. We're on the same page. Those were the EXACT same thoughts myself and other "power-broker" alums, of which I am not lol, were treading on. We would have NO choice but to upgrade in order to compete in all facets. We've slowly increased our campus infrastructure to support such a move. I cannot give too much 411 away @ this point but actual $$$$ (hundreds of thousands plural xreadx ) have already been spent regarding placement/locale of our new on-campus athl complex, which shall include new football stadium venue, separate baseball & softball complex, soccer field, football practice area, soccer practice area, tennis courts, et al.

From a financial standpoint, it makes the most cents. From a travel/lodging standpoint, it makes the most cents. Who cares about "historical" matchups? It's time to for us to move forward, ahead, and on.

A Sam Houston State vs Prairie View A&M labor day w/e tilt in Reliant would do better than what we're offering currently IMO. There won't be 10,000 people filling empty Reliant stadium this fall.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM
If they don't have football they don't need to be in the SLC. xcoffeex

I thought the Demon faithful were interested in adding Centenary and harping on me for coming up with reasons that Centenary was no good for the league. They do not have football.

Does anyone else think Corpus Chrisit (UTCC) would be a good FCS market? Maybe like a Tenn-Chattanooga, or a Sac State? xcoffeex

FYI. It is Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Not a member institution of the Texas system. They love their prep sports, much in the same way that Southeast Texas does. There's some big-time inner city football and baseball rivalries. Perhaps they are keeping tabs on Lamar.

I don't know if it will ever happen, but I could see it. For the SLC especially it could mitigate the loss of a Texas State since the SLC would no longer lose its foothold in football-mad EAST Texas.

TXST is more of "central" Texas, as is UTSA. With the addition of Lamar, I think the SLC has a pretty good stronghold in East Texas with SHSU, SFA and LU.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Who cares about "historical" matchups? It's time to for us to move forward, ahead, and on.

PV would more than likely be able to maintain games against TxSo, Grambling, Southern and whomever else they wanted if they stayed in the SLC. You guys would need OOC games and I am sure the SWAC schools would be willing to squeeze you in between their "body bag" basketball schedules and as a replacement to games against Wiley College, Huston Tillotson and LSU-Eunice in baseball (especially since no one in the SWAC plays the max. amount of games in baseball).

A Sam Houston State vs Prairie View A&M labor day w/e tilt in Reliant would do better than what we're offering currently IMO. There won't be 10,000 people filling empty Reliant stadium this fall.

You do not do it in Reliant. Our fans would be driven aback by the parking prices. You do it at the Berry Center. Close to both our fan bases, a good place to market our universities, etc.

chrisattsu
July 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Do you think the SLC would every consider bringing in West Texas A&M?

WT has a large stadium, and has averaged over 20,000 a game since 2005.
Their other sports (W soccer, volleyball, softball, and baseball, and M/W basketball) teams advance to the D2 playoffs consistently.
Last fall the students agreed to double their athletic fee to $20/credit hour athletic fee to build a new sports complex

The SLC would get the Canyon / Amarillo Media market, and a foothold in far west Texas.

Also, there is complaints that there are not enough FCS schools west of the Mississippi.

NSUDemon98
July 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I thought the Demon faithful were interested in adding Centenary and harping on me for coming up with reasons that Centenary was no good for the league. They do not have football.

FYI. It is Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Not a member institution of the Texas system. They love their prep sports, much in the same way that Southeast Texas does. There's some big-time inner city football and baseball rivalries. Perhaps they are keeping tabs on Lamar.

TXST is more of "central" Texas, as is UTSA. With the addition of Lamar, I think the SLC has a pretty good stronghold in East Texas with SHSU, SFA and LU.

I don't speak for the Demon faithful...just like you don't speak for NSU when trying to act as our publicist.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 20th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Now what now?

ATTENDANCE.................... 83271 36508
Games/Avg Per Game.......... 7/11896 6/6085

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I don't speak for the Demon faithful...just like you don't speak for NSU when trying to act as our publicist.

Okay, you bring up a good point. I will leave the 'facts' to you. You have brought many great ones to the table including "the SLC doesn't want anymore non-Texas schools...fact." (credit Fork'em Demons). Would not want to stray from the truth too much...

Do you think the SLC would every consider bringing in West Texas A&M?

Their other sports (W soccer, volleyball, softball, and baseball, and M/W basketball) teams advance to the D2 playoffs consistently.
Last fall the students agreed to double their athletic fee to $20/credit hour athletic fee to build a new sports complex

The SLC would get the Canyon / Amarillo Media market, and a foothold in far west Texas.

Also, there is complaints that there are not enough FCS schools west of the Mississippi.

What is the status of those D2 programs in the LSC? How many of them actually have stated in a mission statement or plan like Tarleton State that they would like to move to Division I?

West Texas A&M is intriguing, but does the league really want to expand in that direction unless there was another school "that way". UCA is kind of an odd ball, but it does bring the SLC back into Arkansas and particularly Little Rock.

What is the closest school in terms of distance amongst football schools - to WTAMU?

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Now what now?

Good catch 3rd Coast. WTAMU brings in 20k plus when they play their rival - Eastern New Mexico. Outside of that, they do not break the 20k mark on a regular basis. Had 23k in 2007. That's a nice little rivalry there. Even then, average attendance was not much more than it was in 2008.

NSUDemon98
July 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Okay, you bring up a good point. I will leave the 'facts' to you. You have brought many great ones to the table including "the SLC doesn't want anymore non-Texas schools...fact." (credit Fork'em Demons). Would not want to stray from the truth too much...

What is the status of those D2 programs in the LSC? How many of them actually have stated in a mission statement or plan like Tarleton State that they would like to move to Division I?

West Texas A&M is intriguing, but does the league really want to expand in that direction unless there was another school "that way". UCA is kind of an odd ball, but it does bring the SLC back into Arkansas and particularly Little Rock.

What is the closest school in terms of distance amongst football schools - to WTAMU?

You assume I am in favor of PV joining the SLC...which I haven't said either way...just no more non-football schools is all I said, Big Guy.xreadx

How about you just leave NSU out of your discussions, whether it is good or bad.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
You assume I am in favor of PV joining the SLC...which I haven't said either way...just no more non-football schools is all I said, Big Guy.xreadx

Never said you were in favor or not in favor of PV. I just said you stated, "the SLC doesn't want anymore non-Texas schools...fact." on Fork'em Demons.

How about you just leave NSU out of your discussions, whether it is good or bad.

Never fear - I'll make sure to express an opinion. xwhistlex

chrisattsu
July 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Now what now?

Good catch on the typo, I meant to say 10,000. My bad.

Us Bobcats have never been good with attendance figures...

TT is right, they averaged 23,000 last time the Wagon Wheel (Eastern NM) was in Canyon.

chrisattsu
July 20th, 2009, 01:03 PM

The D1 question comes up off-and-on , in much the same way that FBS-expansion and conference realignment threads show up during the offseason. Aside from Tarleton, I haven't heard any clear desires to move to FCS.

The WT crowd seems to be a mixed bag. They were previously D1 (and their fans remember those days), they have a tradition of athletic success, and they have a large stadium. They are building new facilities, and increasing the athletic fee. This could indicate a desire to move back to D1. HOWEVER, the LSC is more geographically appealing. Canyon is West Texas, and their fans could identity more with Abilene, San Angelo, Wichita Falls, and Eastern NM more than Beaumont, Nac, Huntsville, or the LA schools.

I think this West Texas identity is true for Abilene Christian and Angelo State as well. A&M-Kingsville has the tradition, fanbase, and facilities to make the jump. If they wanted to move up, they would have done it when SWT, SHSU, and SFA did back in the 80s. ENM and the Oklahoma schools (sans Central Oklahoma) do not have the financial backing to make that jump.

Central Oklahoma and A&M-Commerce could make the jump in the future. UCO opens the Oklahoma market to the SLC, and A&M-C is stuck in the LSC-North because of a Divisional Realignment. They fit the SLC footprint nicely, and I imagine they could spark up a rivalry with SFA and Sam in no time.

Current FCS schools 'close' to WT (in miles)-
Northern Colo - 500, Northern Ariz - 623, Central Ark - 581, Mo State - 559, Sam - 555
Closest Rival : SFA - 553
Farthest Conference member - SELA - 863

For a point of reference, currently speaking their closest rival is 108 miles away, farthest is 650 miles, and the average falls in the 270 - 500 mile range. Closest rival : ENM - 108, Farthest Conference member A&M-Kingsville - 650

Moving to Division 1 would allow other sports to schedule games against TTU, Colorado, OU, UNM, NMSt, UTEP, KSU, Colo State, North Texas, and Tulsa - all of which are closer than some of their current conference mates.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 01:11 PM
One non-football school that I would not mind for the SLC is Oral Roberts. Opens up the Tulsa market. With Centenary leaving, they lost their travel partner in the Summit League. I do not see how that conference benefits them in anything since the SLC is constantly ranked higher than them in many regards. The travel stinks for them there and would be improved if they went to the SLC.

If the SLC added both UCO and Oral Roberts - that'd be a nice extension into Oklahoma.

SLC 2015
SLC North: Tarleton State UCA, UCO, Oral Roberts, UT-Arlington, Northwestern State, Stephen F. Austin
SLC South: Sam Houston State, Lamar, McNeese, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern, Prairie View A&M

I did not include Nicholls State as I think the financial situation in the state is going to get much worse, really hurting them. They may have a tough decision to make in a few years.

NSUDemon98
July 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Never said you were in favor or not in favor of PV. I just said you stated, "the SLC doesn't want anymore non-Texas schools...fact." on Fork'em Demons.

And?

I am sure you will be sure to express your biased, hate filled opinion.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 01:24 PM
And? I am sure you will be sure to express your biased, hate filled opinion.

Just goes to show your shortcoming as it relates to reading comprehension. Would be nice if we could have a meaningful discussion on Football Championship Subdivision football, yet you continue to make claims that I said things when I've got a pretty consistent way of going about things... xrulesx

Let's get back to the subject of Prairie View, Southland Conference expansion, without the constant bickering about someone who holds a grudge with a school because he is upset that his school got sent to Missoula in 2004.

NSUDemon98
July 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Just goes to show your shortcoming as it relates to reading comprehension. You continue to make claims that I said things when I've got a pretty consistent way of going about things... xrulesx

I am pretty sure I am not the only person who mis-reads your anti-(insert school here) posts made on several boards.

Panther88
July 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM
If the SLC added both UCO and Oral Roberts - that'd be a nice extension into Oklahoma.

SLC 2015
SLC North: Tarleton State UCA, UCO, Oral Roberts, UT-Arlington, Northwestern State, Stephen F. Austin
SLC South: Sam Houston State, Lamar, McNeese, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Southeastern, Prairie View A&M

I did not include Nicholls State as I think the financial situation in the state is going to get much worse, really hurting them. They may have a tough decision to make in a few years.

Very, very, VERY intriguing and fiscally appealing. xreadx Regional matchups w/in each division. Wow.

BTW, NSUDemon, Prairie View A&M does bring football to the table. :)

NSUDemon98
July 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Very, very, VERY intriguing and fiscally appealing. xreadx Regional matchups w/in each division. Wow.

BTW, NSUDemon, Prairie View A&M does bring football to the table. :)

I know PV has football. My comment was directed at the notion of adding UTPA or Houston Baptist. xthumbsupx

chrisattsu
July 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM
One non-football school that I would not mind for the SLC is Oral Roberts. Opens up the Tulsa market. With Centenary leaving, they lost their travel partner in the Summit League. I do not see how that conference benefits them in anything since the SLC is constantly ranked higher than them in many regards. The travel stinks for them there and would be improved if they went to the SLC.

SLC 2015

TT,

I have a couple of thoughts about this.
1. Who is UCA's rival in this pairing?
2. Would you really split Sam and SFA into different divisions (the current divisions does not account for football, and everyone still plays everyone else).

Panther88
July 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I know PV has football. My comment was directed at the notion of adding UTPA or Houston Baptist. xthumbsupx

My bad Demon98. :D

I want this to happen really bad. It makes the most sense and cents.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 07:57 PM
1. Who is UCA's rival in this pairing?

Do they truly have a rival now? Not really. I originally had UALR in the SLC North with New Orleans in SLC South. Decided to change that. Just not sure what the future of the SBC brings, but with the large financial gift to UNO possibly coming to fruition, those two schools will remain in the SBC. A 10/12 conference.

2. Would you really split Sam and SFA into different divisions (the current divisions does not account for football, and everyone still plays everyone else).

They are already split up now 50% of the time. The reason I did the divisions as is was for financial purposes. Figured that keeping the Oklahoma schools in the north would limit potential flights for schools like Corpus and SLU, who have the longest journey of the group.

We could split the schools in West and East formats if you want, but you would probably have the same issue once more, breaking up rivalries.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 21st, 2009, 01:10 AM
xrotatehx

Panther88
July 21st, 2009, 01:13 AM
xrotatehx

You have something to say 3rd Coast? :D

Let it rip. xwhistlex

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 07:36 AM
xrotatehx

TSU is invited into the SLC once they upgrade football, baseball and softball facilities. xnodx

TSU and PV in 2014, 2015 - once TXST and UTSA leave? A package deal? xthumbsupx

BearsCountry
July 21st, 2009, 08:51 AM
That would help the SWAC out scheduling wise for sure.