PDA

View Full Version : ODU turns people away

DTSpider
July 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM
ODU had to turn away requests for roughly 1000 season tickets. Very impressive support by the alumni & community.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/ODUF18_20090717-221603/280672/

kdinva
July 18th, 2009, 07:09 AM
ODU had to turn away requests for roughly 1000 season tickets. Very impressive support by the alumni & community.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/ODUF18_20090717-221603/280672/
......a nice "problem" to have. Congratsxthumbsupx

Monarch Nation
July 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Now all we have to do is actually play some football. xlolx

I'm one of the lucky ones, I got to select seats on the second day, and got really good seats. I hope we can impress enough people in our first year so that we can keep up the level of interest or at worst only have it drop off a little.

Like I said before, most of us are heavily invested in this, having worked for this for over two decades. It is unlikely a few lean years will dampen those spirits much, but for those not as invested, I can see interest falling without a winning product on the field. Our first year of CAA play (2011) will separate the real fans from the casual fans, because I don't see a whole lot of wins coming our way that year.

DTSpider
July 18th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I just hope that the students come out and fill in those 6000 seats. Would be a real shame to have turned people away that have worked to bring football to ODU if the students don't come.

elon77
July 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Those 1000 people can jump in their cars and drive 31/2 hours to Elon and see a top 10 team play in the best and toughest FCS conference in America. We would love to have their support. By the way I have had ODU basketball season tickets for 30 years, but didn't get football tickets. I can't go to Elon games and ODU games at the same time. Socon is the best FCS football conference.xnodx

Uncle Buck
July 18th, 2009, 07:45 AM
That is great news for the ODU football program. Hopefully the student support will be equally impressive.

tribe_pride
July 18th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Those 1000 people can jump in their cars and drive 31/2 hours to Elon and see a top 10 team play in the best and toughest FCS conference in America. We would love to have their support. By the way I have had ODU basketball season tickets for 30 years, but didn't get football tickets. I can't go to Elon games and ODU games at the same time. Socon is the best FCS football conference.xnodx

Seriously? You are going to go there? xnonox

UNHWildCats
July 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM

89Hen
July 18th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Socon was the best FCS football conference.xnodx
Fixed

Uncle Buck
July 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Fixed

You truly are the master of quote manipulation xbowx

wideright82
July 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Fixed

Oh, i just thought we adopted Elon for this year. In do time..... in do time.... the master plan is allllll coming together. :Dxcoffeex

jmufan999
July 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM
hahahaha. hahaha. hahahaha. haha. haha. wait, i'm almost done. hahahahaha. ok, i feel somewhat better.

based on last year, i'd say you need to worry about Elon and not which conference is the best.
you lost 3 of your last 4 games, including an absolute embarrassment to Liberty, a non-playoff team.

let's see... you got crushed 28-10 by the CAA's #3 playoff representative. you got CRUSHED by Wofford (who lost to JMU), lost to App State (who went 0-2 vs. the CAA), hm... what else. oh, how about we had the national champ, 4 out of the final 8 teams in the playoffs (and two of them had to play each other in that round), the best conference GPI, and the top TWO individual teams in the GPI. but your argument was good too. and by good, i mean "retarded".

elon77
July 18th, 2009, 08:29 PM
hahahaha. hahaha. hahahaha. haha. haha. wait, i'm almost done. hahahahaha. ok, i feel somewhat better.

based on last year, i'd say you need to worry about Elon and not which conference is the best.
you lost 3 of your last 4 games, including an absolute embarrassment to Liberty, a non-playoff team.

let's see... you got crushed 28-10 by the CAA's #3 playoff representative. you got CRUSHED by Wofford (who lost to JMU), lost to App State (who went 0-2 vs. the CAA), hm... what else. oh, how about we had the national champ, 4 out of the final 8 teams in the playoffs (and two of them had to play each other in that round), the best conference GPI, and the top TWO individual teams in the GPI. but your argument was good too. and by good, i mean "retarded".

Alexis, where have you been.? Glad you are back.

JMU Newbill
July 20th, 2009, 06:25 AM
How did Elon do in the playoffs last year?

elon77
July 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM
How did Elon do in the playoffs last year?

Lost to ASU in a pre playoff game, seemed to take the wind out of our sails. We are getting there, if you could have seen the program 4 years ago Elon and a winning season would not even have been mentioned. Program is doing pretty good now and it's not fully funded yet. Maybe we will be meeting you guys in a playoff game real soon.xnodx

JMU Newbill
July 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Lost to ASU in a pre playoff game, seemed to take the wind out of our sails. We are getting there, if you could have seen the program 4 years ago Elon and a winning season would not even have been mentioned. Program is doing pretty good now and it's not fully funded yet. Maybe we will be meeting you guys in a playoff game real soon.xnodx

No doubt, it would be a fun game.

The Cats
July 20th, 2009, 07:37 AM

xshakingmadx

Redbird Ray
July 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Perhaps this is worthy of a separate thread, but could any of the Virginia/Maryland people on this board tell me if the other Virginia/DC schools (VCU, George Mason, George Wash) ever plan on instituting football programs? Or is it because these schools are largely urban/commuter schools that they don't have/want football? In any case, it's cool that Old Dominiom is getting football.

JMU Newbill
July 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Perhaps this is worthy of a separate thread, but could any of the Virginia/Maryland people on this board tell me if the other Virginia/DC schools (VCU, George Mason, George Wash) ever plan on instituting football programs? Or is it because these schools are largely urban/commuter schools that they don't have/want football? In any case, it's cool that Old Dominiom is getting football.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't see VCU getting a football team anytime soon. I've only lived in Richmond 3 years, but I have not heard any talk of it.

I am from Portsmouth (right on the other side of the tunnel from ODU). I would say that ODU is widely considered a commuter school as well. I am interested to see what the student section is like for these games.

89Hen
July 20th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Lost to ASU in a pre playoff game...
I think the loss to Liberty had a little more to do with Elon not making the playoffs than the loss to App. xeyebrowx

Jackman
July 20th, 2009, 10:48 AM

The story goes that GMU voted on adding football 10 years ago and came within 1 vote of doing so. I'm sure that if ODU's program is successful, it will come up again. They're not really an urban school, and it looks like they have land to build on.

VCU hasn't made as much noise, but they've just had two things break their way: their very publicly anti-football president recently decided to call it quits, and the U. of Richmond recently decided to abandon University Stadium in favor of an on-campus facility. The stadium Richmond currently plays in is about half the distance from VCU's campus as it is from Richmond's. It is owned by the city, not UR. So if VCU was going to make a move, now would be the time. They do not have space to build their own stadium.

GWU is a different kettle of fish. They're a private university in a hugely expensive location. Their one and only outdoor athletic field is a couple streets down from Georgetown's "stadium", and they're not allowed to have lights or spectator seating there. It would take a BCS-like investment for GW to start a football team, and best case scenario they'd play in the Patriot League.

gophoenix
July 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I think the loss to Liberty had a little more to do with Elon not making the playoffs than the loss to App. xeyebrowx

I don't think it was any one more than the other. I think it was more of the fact we lost 3 of 4 ending games.

GannonFan
July 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I don't think it was any one more than the other. I think it was more of the fact we lost 3 of 4 ending games.

Thing is, though, Elon was in the playoffs with those other 2 losses, assuming they beat Liberty. Getting blown out by Liberty, though, was the difference between Elon making it and not. Elon wins that game, Elon gets in and Maine stays home. xthumbsupx

henfan
July 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Lost to ASU in a pre playoff game...

That's what we call a normal regular season game in the CAA.;)

bandit
July 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM

i live about 5 minutes from the GMU campus, and there is definitely room for a stadium. Football was voted down a number of years ago, and I have no idea if there is any movement to try and revisit the issue. There is really no football to watch in Northern Virginia and GMU football could be huge if done right. I know I'd be there on Saturdays.

henfan
July 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
There is really no football to watch in Northern Virginia and GMU football could be huge if done right.

Important to note that Mason has had a club program for a number of years. While that's vastly different than the school sponsoring a D-I program, it's not as if FB is foreign to the school.

Mason is probably the one school among the CAA's I-AAA FB holdouts (VCU, UNCW & Drexel) with the best chance of sponsoring the sport in the next 5-10 years.

http://gazette.gmu.edu/images/football2.jpg

bandit
July 20th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I hope so. It would seem Mason has some $$, as they are always expanding/upgrading different things on campus and I read that they've bought up more land. I think traffic could be a huge problem though.

DFW HOYA
July 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
VCU hasn't made as much noise, but they've just had two things break their way: their very publicly anti-football president recently decided to call it quits, and the U. of Richmond recently decided to abandon University Stadium in favor of an on-campus facility. The stadium Richmond currently plays in is about half the distance from VCU's campus as it is from Richmond's. It is owned by the city, not UR. So if VCU was going to make a move, now would be the time. They do not have space to build their own stadium.

Actually, they have a 12,134 seat facility leased for baseball which could be converted to football if need be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_(Richmond,_Virginia))

JMU Newbill
July 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM

Not last year.....

elon77
July 21st, 2009, 07:25 AM

As bad as you were last year you had a season full of Pre playoff games.xnodx
But it's another year and maybe both teams will make the playoffs this year.xnodx

ur2k
July 21st, 2009, 08:36 AM
Actually, they have a 12,134 seat facility leased for baseball which could be converted to football if need be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_(Richmond,_Virginia))

That will 100% never happen.

jmufan999
July 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM

you nailed it.

i think it's just a matter of time for VCU, and they'll definitely take City Stadium (is that te official name? i forget.) if it's still available at the time. it's not the most attractive facility but it's better than nothing. i wouldn't expect anything to change for at least a few years. who really knows for sure, though.

jmufan999
July 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM
Alexis, where have you been.? Glad you are back.

and by the way, i have no idea who Alexis is.

elon77
July 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM
and by the way, i have no idea who Alexis is.

I thought everyone from JMU knew who she was.xnodx

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM
A feature story on ODU...

NORFOLK | Craig Wilkins was not sold on playing football at Old Dominion by a string of playoff appearances.

Nor by a gleaming weight room.

Nor by any sort of tangible evidence.

The defensive back out of the District's H.D. Woodson High School saw a video depicting what the nascent, built-from-the-ground-up program might look like once he arrived at a school fresh off the decision to revive a program from a long slumber.

Wilkins imagined the sensation of tugging on his crisp new jersey, stepping out of a freshly constructed locker room and rushing through a tunnel from the locker room to the end zone of a packed stadium as the Monarchs made their return to the sport.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jul/21/scratching-out-success/