PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Forecast - Western Carolina

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 17th, 2009, 07:50 AM
[EDIT] - My apologies for leaving out Ja'Quayvin Smalls, who was one of the leaders on WCU's defense. RIP

The Good – With WCU returning 7 starters on offense (Adam Hearns being the only major loss), and this being Wagner’s second season, things should run much more smoothly on the offensive side. Defense should be just as good or better than last year with 7 returning starters and Quintin Phillips being the only significant loss. Western has a promising transfer and some nice signees that can add depth to the team.

The Bad – Even though they are going in the right direction, it’s still going to take at least a few more years of recruiting before they can be competitive in the SoCon. With most of the SoCon teams improving, 5-6 is probably the very best they can hope for.

OOC games

Vanderbilt – I’m not so sure that Wagner doesn’t play vanilla play calling against FBS teams, but I will assume he does not. The commodores beat WCU 41-21 but the game gives them confidence to start the season.

Gardner-Webb - Maybe GW will make a run for the Big South title. But I don’t think they will win in Cullowhee. Cats win 27-13

Eastern Kentucky – After a rough season, Catamounts get a win over one of the best OVC teams as a consolation prize. Final score is 31-28.

The Verdict - Don't underestimate Western. Wagner has a real knack for offense and has a proven record of turning programs around (he turned a bad NAIA into a offensive power in DII). Western is most likely looking at a 5-win season at best but I wouldn't bet against them getting an upset from one of the top 4 SoCon teams.

elcid83
July 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM
There is no way that WCU will score 27 points against our defense. Take that to the bank!

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Bam
July 17th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Settle down with that EKU win for the Cats.

The Cats
July 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM
There is no way that WCU will score 27 points against our defense. Take that to the bank!

Just which bank would that be?

The Cats
July 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM
The Verdict - Don't underestimate Western. Western is most likely looking at a 5-win season...... I wouldn't bet against them getting an upset from one of the top 4 SoCon teams.

A 5 or 6 win season would mean 3 or more SoCon wins. I'd certainly classify that improvement...... but the Cats just may just improve a little more that that. xthumbsupx

catamount man
July 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I picked 5-6. After 3-9 going up from 2-9 and 1-10 under Kent Briggs, it would be a big step towards getting back to some respectability. I think people underestimate how bad Briggs tanked it here. Bill Bleil had 18 starters coming back from a 2001 7-4 season before he was yanked out of Cullowhee. We are STILL feeling it.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

NSUSPARTAN
July 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM
WCU 3 wins or less this year. They could lose all OCC games. And it not like anyone in the SoCon that beat them last year is going to be a easy win this season.

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM
WCU gave us a tough game last year in Greenville. It wouldn't shock me to see them pull an upset somewhere.

ButlerGSU
July 17th, 2009, 09:17 AM
If Western clicks they can easily win 4-5 games. No doubt their program is heading in the right direction but may not be there yet.

elon77
July 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Their schedule sure doesn't help them much. I think a key is how they rebound from the loss of a teamate. I know he was new, but he still was a member of the team. Best of luck to the kitty cats, but not against the fightin Christians.

DX Man
July 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
The only guaranteed win I see for them is UTC

hippy@GSU
July 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I have a bad feeling that WCU is going to scare the crap out of Eagle fans is Statesboro. Really.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 17th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Sorry that I forgot about Smalls. I changed the OP. He'll be missed on and off the field. RIP

:(:(

Saint3333
July 17th, 2009, 01:19 PM
If Western clicks they can easily win 4-5 games. No doubt their program is heading in the right direction but may not be there yet.

Agreed, still at least a year away.

Mountaineer
July 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Western is most likely looking at a 5-win season at best but I wouldn't bet against them getting an upset from one of the top SoCon teams other than ASU.

Fixed. xrotatehx The Cants last win in Boone came in 1984. The losing streak continues. xreadx

WCU LawCat
July 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
The team will improve through confidence alone IMO. The team will be a little better to boot and I feel like the defense will be fairly solid. 5-6 would not be a stretch and I could see more than that if the team just believes that it can contend.

I would expectations for 2010 to be pretty high for a fan base that is drooling.

The Cats
July 19th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I could see more than that if the team just believes that it can contend.

I don't think that will be as much of a problem as in years past. This is Wagner's second season, and most of these kids recruited from winning high school programs, they know how to win, they just got to show it on the field this season.

appfan2008
August 5th, 2009, 08:26 PM
i got em at 3-8 going 2-6 in conference

ASU_Fanatic
August 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Western sucks.

proasu89
August 5th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Western sucks.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, this is not the Smack Forum.xnonox

appfan2008
August 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Western sucks.

no need for that... they are turning things around...

catamount man
August 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm gonna be conservative and say 4-7. Going to watch the first practice this Saturday. CANNOT WAIT!!! GO CATAMOUNTS!!! xthumbsupx

ASU_Fanatic
August 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
no need for that... they are turning things around...you are right about that their coach is going to be good in a few years

chattanoogamocs
August 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM
The only guaranteed win I see for them is UTC

Nothing I love more than a sports fan on a message board "guaranteeing" something. :)

Heck, I can't even "guarantee" that I will wake up in the morning.

DX Man
August 5th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Nothing I love more than a sports fan on a message board "guaranteeing" something. :)

Heck, I can't even "guarantee" that I will wake up in the morning.

I stand corrected. I should have not used the word "guaranteed"xpeacex

WCU LawCat
August 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I'm gonna be conservative and say 4-7. Going to watch the first practice this Saturday. CANNOT WAIT!!! GO CATAMOUNTS!!! xthumbsupx

You gotta quit doing that. You know we are going to be better than 4-7. I would consider 4-7 disappointing. I say 5 wins minimum.

ASU_MBA
August 7th, 2009, 09:42 AM
You gotta quit doing that. You know we are going to be better than 4-7. I would consider 4-7 disappointing. I say 5 wins minimum.

Please list the 5 teams that you plan on beating.....for this "5 wins minimum" idea

elcid83
August 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Please list the 5 teams that you plan on beating.....for this "5 wins minimum" idea

And GW better not be one of themxmadx

ASU_MBA
August 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Bad news for WCU is that they don't play Shorter or Presbyterian this year....they have a tough schedule. I just don't see how they get the 5 wins. They are headed in the right direction but Wagoner needs time to develop the players he recruited.

at., Sep. 5 at Vanderbilt ---- Just not going to happen 0-1 Vandy by 21

Sat., Sep. 12 vs. Gardner-Webb ---- This game is a win-able to maybe. WCU should put a good defense on the field. Whether WCU can move the ball against G-W will be a question mark. This is a G-W team that lost to Charleston South, only beat Stony Brook by 1 point but at the same time played Ga Tech close in 2008. I would say as a SoCon team that wants to get respect WCU should win this game but i just don't know. If WCU loses it will be a long year for them.

Sat., Sep. 19 at Georgia Southern ---- GA Southern will not lose this game in Statesboro. GA Southern by 10

Sat., Sep. 26 vs. Furman --- Nope Furman Wins by 3

Sat., Oct. 3 at Samford ---- Samford is better than most people give them credit for...that o-line and running back will not be fun to play. I give the win to Samford. by 14

Sat., Oct. 17 vs. The Citadel --- This is another maybe. I believe a homecoming game. Citadel is an up and down team the past couple years. Can WCU control Roberts? I will give this win to WCU but I would not go bet money on it

Sat., Oct. 24 vs. Wofford---I still don't know what Wofford team we see this year...they lost a lot of guys on both sides of the ball. But WCU could not figure out how to stop the Wofford O and I am not sure another year helps...Wofford wins by 3 scores.

Sat., Oct. 31 at Chattanooga ---This should be a win for WCU and anything less is a setback for the year and fans. WCU wins by 2 scores.

Sat., Nov. 7 vs. Elon---- getting close to the end of the year when Elon gets bored of playing. I.E Liberty last year...but Elon Wins...by 20

Sat., Nov. 14 at Eastern Kentucky ---- Some people predicted this one and I just don't see it. It is a road game and EKU will have a possible playoff game on the line or a home game in the 1st round. EKU wins...it might be close but no win for WCU

Sat., Nov. 21 at Appalachian State---- No...No and No. Only shot is if AE is hurt or gets rested for the playoffs again. App by 21

If they beat G-W, Chatty and Citadel they win 3....I just can't see anymore than that...sure you could substitute wins...you know a win over Furman instead of Citadel, etc.
At the most they win 2 out of conference which will not be a picnic. Then I just don't see three teams in the SoCon that they beat.

Eaglesrus
August 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I have a bad feeling that WCU is going to scare the crap out of Eagle fans is Statesboro. Really.

I think they had their shot at us last year, but I also think that they'll get a win or two this year that no one expects them to.

WCU LawCat
August 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM

I say 5 minimum. I believe we are capable of winning more than 5. Can't name just 5...

ASU_MBA
August 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I say 5 minimum. I believe we are capable of winning more than 5. Can't name just 5...

Sounds like something a lawyer would say.....

Well you can wish for 5 games in one hand and poop in another and see which one fills up first....

You guys are on the right track but i just don't see the 5. I hope I am wrong... I would love to see you guys playing good ball again.

elon77
August 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Let's see

Vandy L
G-W Toss up
GSU L
Furman L
Samford Toss up
The Citadel W
Woffy L
Chatty W
Elon L
Eastern KY Toss up
App L

I don't know, 5 and 6 at best and maybe 3 and 8.

The Cats
August 8th, 2009, 05:11 AM
No toss up with GW !!!! The Cats will not lose this game.

elon77
August 8th, 2009, 07:32 AM

All in the Socon hope you are right.xnodx

catamount man
August 8th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I will not take G-W lightly. This game scares me more than some of the others. I don't think people realize JUST HOW LOW Kent Briggs tanked our program. Believe me, 2006 and 2007 were the lowest of the low and we were playing, I'm sorry, with d2 talent.

LAWCAT and THE CATS are friends of mine to be sure and I champion and agree with their enthusiasm. As for me though, I'm gonna play it safe. Believe me, I spoke to a lot of people in Cullowhee about a month ago who would take 4-7 and run with it, CONSIDERING all that Wagner and his staff were dealt with upon arriving in Cullowhee.

I will always consider Kent Briggs a friend, but something happened in the offseason between our 5-4 2005 season and the last 2 horrible years and many of us are still trying to figure out what it was. I have my opinions, but don't have 100% facts.

Oh well...I saw Wagner take Brigg's talent and win 3 games in one year with it when in Briggs last 2 years, they won 3 games combined. It's a slow process and I will pray for the patience of Job in watching Wagner and his staff turn WCU around.

Just my 2 cents.

appfan2008
August 8th, 2009, 10:28 AM

GW is no slouch potato... they aint bad i would watch out if i were you

wcucat85
August 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM
First of all....I WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE FOR BEING LESS THAN PROFESSIONAL IN MY PRIOR POSTS

Now with that said let me give my reason for Western going 6up and five down this year...

I of course played for Western under Bob Waters so I feel entitled to my opinion.

Vandy beats Western 21-13
I had a chance to see Westerns defense this spring and what Palowski did as far as implementing the 2nd phase of his defensive scheme.........ITS IMPRESSIVE........ZONE BLITZ AND ALL...People really dont know much about this guy and what he did at Grand Valley State for 5 yrs.

App is the class of the field and that wont change for a few years.I can remember a time when bags were worn by App fans 80 -84.............But an awesome football program right now!

GARDNER WEBB ...WIN

FURMAN....WIN

UTC...WIN

CITADEL....WIN

WOFFORD...WIN....Wofford lost a lot of folks yall!!

Eastern Kentucky..toss up...Again lost a lot of folks and Western played pretty well on the road last year

Georgia Southern....Last year you saw a team that did not know how to win or close the deal....Again toss up Georgia S has better talent overall right now so that gives them a definite edge.

We win one of those games ...makes 6

As long as we beat Furman all is well

Thanks and good luck to all the teams

SOUTHERN CONFERENCE....THE BABY SEC!!!

ASU_MBA
August 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
6 wins for WCU............WOW.....make me a glass of the Kool-Aid....

Reign of Terrier
August 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM

xeyebrowx we did last year too, that didn't stop us from beating you worse.xthumbsupx and we lose less now than we did then, not to mention our defense will no doubt be better.

SU DOG
August 8th, 2009, 03:54 PM
First of all....I WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGIZE FOR BEING LESS THAN PROFESSIONAL IN MY PRIOR POSTS

Now with that said let me give my reason for Western going 6up and five down this year...

I of course played for Western under Bob Waters so I feel entitled to my opinion.

Vandy beats Western 21-13
I had a chance to see Westerns defense this spring and what Palowski did as far as implementing the 2nd phase of his defensive scheme.........ITS IMPRESSIVE........ZONE BLITZ AND ALL...People really dont know much about this guy and what he did at Grand Valley State for 5 yrs.

App is the class of the field and that wont change for a few years.I can remember a time when bags were worn by App fans 80 -84.............But an awesome football program right now!

GARDNER WEBB ...WIN

FURMAN....WIN

UTC...WIN

CITADEL....WIN

Eastern Kentucky..toss up...Again lost a lot of folks and Western played pretty well on the road last year

Georgia Southern....Last year you saw a team that did not know how to win or close the deal....Again toss up Georgia S has better talent overall right now so that gives them a definite edge.

We win one of those games ...makes 6

As long as we beat Furman all is well

Thanks and good luck to all the teams

SOUTHERN CONFERENCE....THE BABY SEC!!!

Er ah - Do you still have a game on Oct 3rd? xeyebrowx

WCU LawCat
August 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Sounds like something a lawyer would say.....

Well you can wish for 5 games in one hand and poop in another and see which one fills up first....

You guys are on the right track but i just don't see the 5. I hope I am wrong... I would love to see you guys playing good ball again.

I'm not a Lawyer...

wcucat85
August 9th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Wofford folks are a testy bunch....Starting to resemble Furman folks there???..............I said toss up...............Yes you guys had some big plays that nailed us and our TO'S killed us.............You all won the game no need to throw darts any longer.....I agree with LAWCAT Kent Briggs is a good man but he destroyed the program....literally destoyed it

Reign of Terrier
August 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Wofford folks are a testy bunch....Starting to resemble Furman folks there???..............I said toss up...............

you definitely said win and I was pointing out that saying that just because we lost players doesn't necessarily mean we will be just an average team. last year we lost roughly the same if not more and we were probably better.

wcucat85
August 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I stand corrected.............................I left off a game ......ah Samford..................toss up...

wcucat85
August 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Mike Ayers another good coach......Gets a lot out of players and the SYSTEM really helps as well. That triple option or HAMM BONE as in GSU is a thing of beauty just look at what the WESTERN GRAD PAUL JOHNSON IS DOING AT GEORGIA TECH with it...Yes Western Grad

Laserlips
August 9th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Mike Ayers another good coach......Gets a lot out of players and the SYSTEM really helps as well. That triple option or HAMM BONE as in GSU is a thing of beauty just look at what the WESTERN GRAD PAUL JOHNSON IS DOING AT GEORGIA TECH with it...Yes Western Grad

wcu:

I know..

Every time the news media talk about Coach Johnson it's always "Paul Johnson, the Western Carolina graduate"....

As a GSU Eagle fan, I hate hearing that crap..

All I know is he was delivered to the field at Paulson Stadium in a wicker basket with a blue bow tied around it and a note saying "he graduated from Western Carolina but he belongs to the GSU football program and the GSU faithful now" xthumbsupx

And while I'm thinking of it, I don't appreciate your team scaring the pants off our Eagles last season either. xnonox

Simmer down, just razzing ya.. :)

Jesse

AppStsGr8
August 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I don't see WCU winning more than 3 ... yet. Wagner seems to be turning things around - staring with attitudes. IMO, a better WCU makes a better SoCon.

ASU_MBA
September 30th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Should we do a new poll....like we did for Chatty....

just curious.... xsmiley_wix

catamount man
September 30th, 2009, 06:07 AM
yep.........keep kicking us when we're down........one day boys, the worm will turn.............