PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network SoCon Preview

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Around FCS: Edwards returns to lead ASU in SoCon
By David Coulson, FCS Executive Director

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Should Appalachian State return to the national championship game in 2009, opposing coaches in the Southern Conference might be prompted to celebrate Dec. 18 as the final night of Armanti Edwards' college football career.

Edwards, the mercurial quarterback of the Mountaineers, has already led ASU to two national championships, with knee and hip injuries putting a damper on his efforts to get them back to the title game last season.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4243021

BossEagle
July 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I thought Chris Covington won the Defensive POY award last year for the SoCon???

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I thought Chris Covington won the Defensive POY award last year for the SoCon???

Roman was named DEF POY by the coaches while Covington was the DEF POY by the media.

kdinva
July 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
The one thru nine ranking looks like what most mags. have posted.........

BossEagle
July 16th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Roman was named DEF POY by the coaches while Covington was the DEF POY by the media.

Ohhh, alright...alright, thanks.

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Ohhh, alright...alright, thanks.

No problem. It is confusing when they pick a different player!

chattanoogamocs
July 17th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I have no problem where Coulson picked the Mocs...but it appears that after he got past the top teams, he just kind of mailed in the rest of the article (and I can't completely blame him for that either, who wants to spend much time talking about teams that will probably suck).

My reason for posting is that he has Jare Gault as the heir apparent to be the starting QB...has he not heard of BJ Coleman (transfer from UTK)?

If he was just talking about returning players, I would have not even made mention of it, but he offered a paragraph about Forcier (UCLA to Furman).

Mocs have a 4-star QB coming in and it isn't even mentioned? tsk, tsk Dave. :)

Carry on. xthumbsupx

OL FU
July 17th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Seems like reasonable picks. I don't think there is any doubt that ASU is still at the top but this is the year they hit the road for some of their tougher games.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 17th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I can tell you right now GSU will not lose 5 conference games.

OL FU
July 17th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I can tell you right now GSU will not lose 5 conference games.

Did he predict that. Maybe I skimmed this to quickly but it doesn't really look oike he predicted the order of finish other than first for ASU. Everything else looks like a repeat of last year. Am I wrong?

Never mind. I see it what he was doing.

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I do agree that he, along with everyone, has no idea what Furman will be like. Furman could have a repeat of last year, or come out gang busters.

Hopefully the defense can fill in the holes left by graduation. I think the Paladins, though, could have one heck of a scary offense.

OL FU
July 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I know people take offense at where they are placed in the list but I think he has it right and that is that 6 teams are chasing ASU. I think he has it right that Wofford and Elon have the best shots at the number two postion and Samford, FU, GSU and The Citadel fall after them.

I also agree that FU is the biggest unknown. A pretty good season last year except for the Elon game and the last two of the season. The last two were the most confusion. We appeared to simply quit on offense. Maybe it was injuries but the play calling was horrible.

phoenixphanatic21
July 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I know people take offense at where they are placed in the list but I think he has it right and that is that 6 teams are chasing ASU. I think he has it right that Wofford and Elon have the best shots at the number two postion and Samford, FU, GSU and The Citadel fall after them.

I also agree that FU is the biggest unknown. A pretty good season last year except for the Elon game and the last two of the season. The last two were the most confusion. We appeared to simply quit on offense. Maybe it was injuries but the play calling was horrible.

I loved the Elon game last year. Much better than the game at your place the year before that. xnonono2x Think we can have a repeat of last year when we visit yall this season?

As for the list, I got nothing to argue about. Seems perfectly fine to me. One of the better previews I've read so far...granted I've only read about 3 so far.

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I loved the Elon game last year. Much better than the game at your place the year before that. xnonono2x Think we can have a repeat of last year when we visit yall this season?

As for the list, I got nothing to argue about. Seems perfectly fine to me. One of the better previews I've read so far...granted I've only read about 3 so far.

I'd like to see a repeat of that 2007 game. I was impressed with just how dangerous Hudgins was in that game. Furman beat the snot bubbles out of Elon in the first half but had to hang on for dear life to get the win...and it wasn't like our offense just went to sleep either.

That said, I don't see this game being either like the 2008 or 2007 games. Furman will be able to run the ball and run the option with Forcier. I think the 2009 matchup will be much closer and, though Elon might be a better team on paper right now, they play in Greenville where i don't think they've ever won.

phoenixphanatic21
July 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I'd like to see a repeat of that 2007 game. I was impressed with just how dangerous Hudgins was in that game. Furman beat the snot bubbles out of Elon in the first half but had to hang on for dear life to get the win...and it wasn't like our offense just went to sleep either.

That said, I don't see this game being either like the 2008 or 2007 games. Furman will be able to run the ball and run the option with Forcier. I think the 2009 matchup will be much closer and, though Elon might be a better team on paper right now, they play in Greenville where i don't think they've ever won.

I was at that game in 2007. All I can say is frickin Jerome Felton. We just couldn't tackle the guy to save our lives. Was one hell of a game, just wish we had come out on top.

And I do agree that this game will be nothing like year's past. The question will be who's defense can stop the other offense. I honestly look forward to that game and hope I can make another trip down to Furman. And while we have not won in Furman ever (as far as I can remember at least), we hadn't won at Georgia Southern or The Citadel before last year too, so looks all streaks must come to an end at some point. Why not this year I say.

OL FU
July 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I tend to forget things I want to forget, but my recollection was that Sorrells had been near perfect until that game and then threw too many interceptions and then we threw a few fumbles in the mix also. Don't know if they were great defensive plays or just sloppy offensive paly but either way you have too good of a team to give the ball to you. A sure fire recipe for defeatxnodx

CrackerRiley
July 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I was at that game in 2007. All I can say is frickin Jerome Felton. We just couldn't tackle the guy to save our lives.

Could anyone?! xmadx

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM

I don't think you are giving our offense or your defense enough credit. I think going into that game Hatcher decided that the OL had matured enough that he could go all-out with the passing game. What GSU did versus Furman was different than what we had done in every game before that, and I don't exactly think Furman was expecting it. GSU getting more conservative combined with Furman's adjustments in the second half created the second-half shutout. You guys still held GSU to fewer points (in regulation) than any team last year, including Georgia.

As for Wofford, who didn't hold them to fewer than 30 points? The only FCS team that did that was App. State, and they still gave up 24 points and a ton of yards. Honestly, I think GSU and Furman are going to be as good as Elon and Wofford this year.

Saint3333
July 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Could the Big Three regain the top spots in 2009. I don't think there will be a large gap between the top three and next three, but I wouldn't be surprised if Furman and GSU rise back to the top with ASU.

OL FU
July 17th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I don't think you are giving our offense or your defense enough credit. I think going into that game Hatcher decided that the OL had matured enough that he could go all-out with the passing game. What GSU did versus Furman was different than what we had done in every game before that, and I don't exactly think Furman was expecting it. GSU getting more conservative combined with Furman's adjustments in the second half created the second-half shutout. You guys still held GSU to fewer points (in regulation) than any team last year, including Georgia.

As for Wofford, who didn't hold them to fewer than 30 points? The only FCS team that did that was App. State, and they still gave up 24 points and a ton of yards. Honestly, I think GSU and Furman are going to be as good as Elon and Wofford this year.

I hope you are correctxthumbsupx

GaSouthern
July 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
They forgot about #40 JB Shippy, I love watching that guy play!

Mountaineer
July 17th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I wonder who will get the AQ with everyone going 8-0 this year. xrolleyesx

xlolx

SU DOG
July 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Hmmm. Just for the sake of accuracy, you might want to check some of those statements with the Samford scores. xeyebrowx We had a pretty decent "D".

OL FU
July 17th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hmmm. Just for the sake of accuracy, you might want to check some of those statements with the Samford scores. xeyebrowx We had a pretty decent "D".

They scored the same on Samford and Furman.

I think the difference he was speaking to is that Chapple played instead of Henton and Chapple threw like 60 times ( That is probably not the number but it was close). I watched a few GaSU games on the tube and they certainly opened it up against us. He had a lot of completions but they didn't score that much. The other difference was our offense was lack luster to say the least. No offense doesn't help a team's defense.

GSU might be the team to beat this year but I will still hold the position from the outsider looking in ( of course I am not an outsider when it comes to FU) that Colson's predictions look pretty good and I will stick with mine that WC and Elon are the teams with the best chance of knocking off ASU. That doesn't mean that I am right. We get surprises every year and Samford was one of them last yearxnodx

elon77
July 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Yes they have, it was the first year they went from dII to 1AA, I believe they came to Furman and won like 10-3 or 10-7. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Maybe 1997, 98, or 99.

elon77
July 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Just found it 1999, Elon 24 Furman 22 in purple land. Elon finished 9-2 and didn't make the playoffs. Lost to Western Illinois and Hofstra. Elon ran the wishbone and had a QB named Derrick Moore who could flat run.

citdog
July 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM
No love for the Dogs from Dave Coulson, but I like being picked there. Please take us lightly!

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
No love for the Dogs from Dave Coulson, but I like being picked there. Please take us lightly!

I want to go on record to saying that if Citadel has consistency at QB they could be a top 20 team. They have the top WR in the nation, a solid OL, and some standouts on the DL. They just need to gain more experience in the secondary and have someone emerge as the leader at RB and they should be very solid!xthumbsupx

GATA
July 17th, 2009, 05:43 PM
They scored the same on Samford and Furman.

I think the difference he was speaking to is that Chapple played instead of Henton and Chapple threw like 60 times ( That is probably not the number but it was close). I watched a few GaSU games on the tube and they certainly opened it up against us. He had a lot of completions but they didn't score that much. The other difference was our offense was lack luster to say the least. No offense doesn't help a team's defense.

GSU might be the team to beat this year but I will still hold the position from the outsider looking in ( of course I am not an outsider when it comes to FU) that Colson's predictions look pretty good and I will stick with mine that WC and Elon are the teams with the best chance of knocking off ASU. That doesn't mean that I am right. We get surprises every year and Samford was one of them last yearxnodx

Chapple isn't any better than Henton...they just had totally different styles. GSU fans are just trying to spin the Lee Chapple start against Furman into some kind of positive leading into 2009. The fact is you're right...we only scored 13 points against Furman...period. On top of that...a fumble by Chapple should have been returned for a TD but the refs didn't help you guys out on that one.

Don't get me wrong...I think Chapple has a lot of potential...he's certainly a better PASSER than Henton was...but Henton could make plays with his feet and improvisational skills.

GSU is going to be just as "hot and cold" as they were last year. 2010 is the year when I would expect to actually see GSU field a championship caliber football team.

GATA
July 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Aren't you guys used to this? Every year the Citadel is picked to finish at the bottom and every year they don't disappoint. It's easy to say "I like being picked there" when you're not exactly going out on a limb to say it...

If the Citadel sucks again...so what...they always suck. If they play well, you'll go back and pull this quote out of your ass.

blueballs
July 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM
The rankings by Dave seem to reflect a "most known commodity to least known commodity" in teams 1-6, which is perfectly understandable. The old saying "You gotta' go for what you know" certainly seems to apply here. I can't see any head scratcher picks here at all.

Nevertheless, these teams are still pretty close talent wise for the most part, and just like the past two years seasons will be won and lost on a few key plays; those who make them win and those who don't rue close losses and wonder what might have been.

SU DOG
July 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM
The rankings by Dave seem to reflect a "most known commodity to least known commodity" in teams 1-6, which is perfectly understandable. The old saying "You gotta' go for what you know" certainly seems to apply here. I can't see any head scratcher picks here at all.

Nevertheless, these teams are still pretty close talent wise for the most part, and just like the past two years seasons will be won and lost on a few key plays; those who make them win and those who don't rue close losses and wonder what might have been.

DITTO blueballs!! I have always thought that your posts generally inject much-needed pure logic into a thread.

citdog
July 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Aren't you guys used to this? Every year the Citadel is picked to finish at the bottom and every year they don't disappoint. It's easy to say "I like being picked there" when you're not exactly going out on a limb to say it...

If the Citadel sucks again...so what...they always suck. If they play well, you'll go back and pull this quote out of your ass.

Says a guy who follows a team that took three overtimes to beat this team that sucks so bad. Pigs ass,Ga did this with a qb who was a convicted criminal and a bunch of boys majoring in TV or some such nonsense.

PaladinFan
July 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Just found it 1999, Elon 24 Furman 22 in purple land. Elon finished 9-2 and didn't make the playoffs. Lost to Western Illinois and Hofstra. Elon ran the wishbone and had a QB named Derrick Moore who could flat run.

Ok, ok...so it's been 10 years :)

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Chapple isn't any better than Henton...they just had totally different styles. GSU fans are just trying to spin the Lee Chapple start against Furman into some kind of positive leading into 2009. The fact is you're right...we only scored 13 points against Furman...period. On top of that...a fumble by Chapple should have been returned for a TD but the refs didn't help you guys out on that one.

It was 17 points...and we probably could have gotten more but I think Hatcher decided since the D was playing good and that he would play conservative in the second half and not take any chances. Most of the passes in the second half were screens and quick passes. It looked like we were trying to emulate Furman's offense. Considering the likes of Virginig Tech and App. State put 24 and 26 on them, I'd say that's not too bad a day.

I think it was a positive. Chapple showed that when he has a decent amount of time he can get it to our receivers. Henton only got the start because the OL play was horrendous for most of the season and we needed someone who could escape the pocket.

wcucat85
July 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
App St wins conference again............Why??...Coaching and its simple.You have a staff that for the most part has been in place anywhere from 8 to 18 years.The Head coach more importantly has been given a lot of latitude to do whats necessary to win.If you look at the programs struggling one common theme is apparent even at Western Carolina....A coaching turn table.App,Wofford,Furman and now Elon have stable long term staffs in place who are getting the support (full)of their schools.Westerns last coach to fit that mould was the late Bob Waters who passed at an extemely young age of Lou Gehrigs disease. Western has never been the same since and really until a year ago had never really committed to turning the program around..

APP
WOFFORD
ELON
SAMFORD
FURMAN
GSU
WESTERN
CITADEL
CHATT
In that order.................

wcucat85
July 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I will take Russia over GSU AND FURMAN for the record!............These are the most whining and complaining folks in the conference

Gringer1
July 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Well, this thread was a pretty intelligent discussion of odds and stats, but of course something unnecessarily angry had to be tossed in.

Eagle22
July 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Well, this thread was a pretty intelligent discussion of odds and stats, but of course something unnecessarily angry had to be tossed in.

You'd be bitter too if your team choked away a 31-3 fourth quarter lead xlolx

Glad I stayed to see it happen.

Wagner will get WCU turned around. Huesmann will get UTC respectable. Both are good coaches and in both situations, I believe they'll get the time to sort it out and build a strong foundation.

The predictions each year will get tougher as a result.

2009 might be a little early for GSU to arrive, but the two vital games for the Eagles are early and on the road. We have to take care of business on the road vs. Wofford and Elon to have a realistic shot at what Eagle fans term a successful season ... entry into the playoffs.

SCPALADIN
July 18th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I will take Russia over GSU AND FURMAN for the record!............These are the most whining and complaining folks in the conference

Says the guy with 22 posts, one year on the AGS, and who pulls for a team whose performance stinks worse than Chewbacca's grundel.xrolleyesx

GATA
July 18th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Says a guy who follows a team that took three overtimes to beat this team that sucks so bad. Pigs ass,Ga did this with a qb who was a convicted criminal and a bunch of boys majoring in TV or some such nonsense.

So you admit that the group of choir boys that suited up for the Citadel "football team" in 2008 got beat by a bunch of retards led by a felon?...works for me...a win is a win. I'm baffled that a group of high quality student athletes like those on the Citadel football team couldn't find a way to pull out a victory over GSU's band of unorganized misfits and morons...

kdinva
July 19th, 2009, 07:08 AM
So you admit that the group of choir boys that suited up for the Citadel "football team" in 2008 got beat by a bunch of retards led by a felon?...works for me...a win is a win. I'm baffled that a group of high quality student athletes like those on the Citadel football team couldn't find a way to pull out a victory over GSU's band of unorganized misfits and morons...
......and it wasn't because The Citadel's players, during the week, were too busy with afternoon classes and Military duty.....

james_lawfirm
July 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
App St wins conference again............Why??...Coaching and its simple.You have a staff that for the most part has been in place anywhere from 8 to 18 years.The Head coach more importantly has been given a lot of latitude to do whats necessary to win.If you look at the programs struggling one common theme is apparent even at Western Carolina....A coaching turn table.App,Wofford,Furman and now Elon have stable long term staffs in place who are getting the support (full)of their schools.Westerns last coach to fit that mould was the late Bob Waters who passed at an extemely young age of Lou Gehrigs disease. Western has never been the same since and really until a year ago had never really committed to turning the program around..

I agree completely. Many posters underestimate the importance that longevity at the Coaching spot & his staff has on a team. ALL alumni expect too much too quickly from a new coach. In addition, having an administration that supports the team and the coach is also an important part of the mix of a good team.

WADR, Western's problem was that the administration did not know what to do after Bob Waters' became ill. I recall seeing him on the field at ASU in a wheelchair - late '80's maybe??? One can only imagine that his coaching abilities deteriorated along with his health. While that was a terrible thing, WCU's administration simply dropped the ball. They gave little support to the team and refused to name a replacement coach. I understand that was out of respect for a great coach - he took WCU to their only National Championship in 1988 I think, but the team suffered as a result of Coach Water's deteriorating health and the fact no replacement was named. I mean no disrespect to WCU or Coach Waters - just calling it like I see it.

I truly hope Hatcher turns things around up there. The rivalry with ASU should continue. But, in order to be a heated rivalry, WCU is going to have to improve. Right now, if you asked most ASU fans which team was our best rival, IMO most would say GaSo.

Gringer1
July 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I think James here is right about the rivalry situation. WCU is supposed to be App's biggest rival, but to have a real rivalry, the teams have to be fairly evenly matched. The past 3 meetings between GSU and ASU have come down to the very final play in the game. This kind of competition really heats up a rivalry. I do have a question though, did you mean to say Wagner instead of Hatcher? Hatcher does have a little reloading to do with Southern, but it seems more like you meant Wagner over at WCU.