PDA

View Full Version : Cap'n Cat's Notes On The New Hampy Trip:

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Operative words: Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!!!!

Talk about CLASSY New Hampshire guys, we met up with a couple coaches at a sports bar in Portsmouth Saturday night and had a TERRIFIC time talking with them about the game. Ralph, PantherRob and I ran up a pretty sizeable tab for beer and food (PantherRob82 musta HAD three orders of wings!!!) as we had been there for hours before the guys showed up. Next thing I know, this cute little waitress comes up to me and says, "Just wanted to let you know, your tab's been taken care of".

Half-dicked up, Cap'n Cat wheezed, "What? Who paid it?"

"The owner of the bar."

"Oh yeah, well, where is he?"

"He's not here right now."

Cap'n Cat looks at one of the UNH coaches who has a little *****-eatin' grin on his face, and says, "Why, you wily old SOB, you!" The coaches picked up our tab!

CLASS.

Thanks, guys! That helped offset the nearly $400 I spent on gas gettin' out there!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Regarding UNH fans and their behavior, Cap'n Cat had a lot of time to think about it and, having read the thread way down below, He's come to the conclusion that, whereas it made some people feel uncomfortable, you're gonna have that stuff wherever you go. Ninety-nine point nine nine nine nine percent of people there were wonderful. The guys parked next to us at the tailgater were fun and friendly; they shared their awesome chili with us. Some UNH Ath Dept bigwig walked out to welcome us and she was highly complimentary and oozing with goodwill.

Cap'n Cat walked through the thick of tailgating with his Northern Iowa sweatshirt and hat on and got no jeers, but, rather a lot of "Welcome to New Hampshire"'s.

Cap'n Cat was interviewed by the Nashua Telegraph, throughout which The Cap'n said nothing but complimentary things about UNH, their players, administration and fans. (Story was published yesterday - unfortunately, all I said about UNH was not included, as it was a game wrap up article).

Superb experience.

UNI players celebrating on the Wildcat logo?

Yes, it happened. MOF, Cap'n Cat was inches away and has some thoughts on what really occurred.

1. It was a small handful of UNI players who were actually "stomping" on the emblem and being buttholes. The rest were just jumping around, probably oblivious to the fact that they were actually on top of the logo.

2. The New Hampshire players exercised great restraint as they approached the logo and did not feel the need to get into a shoving match and possible riot (CLASS) (by this time, fearing for his own personal safety, Cap'n Cat had backed away about twenty yards - those New Hampy players were HUGE!!!!!).

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, Coach Farley, before any ********* could get started was in the middle of it all, dragging the offenders out and tossing them to the locker room, all the while yelling about how wrong it was and "if you win, you shake hands......". He did a monumental job of preventing any problems.

4. Note to all UNH players and staff - I'm sure the instigators got a blistering earful. Guarantee it.

5. 'Nuff said.

All the best to the New Hampshire program for decades to come.

Thanks for hosting us!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

GannonFan
December 6th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Always good to hear from the Cap'n - one reason why I could actually be happy if UNI gets to the promised land of Chattanooga. I'm picking Texas St, but my picks have blown so far so that's a plus for UNI actually.

FL connection
December 6th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Wish EIU would still play UNI....just so I could meet the GOOD "CAP'N"........since my wife is a UNI alum....connection out!!

TxSt02
December 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM
you coming down here???

also any pics of girls with the Cap'n???

Hansel
December 6th, 2005, 10:42 AM
you coming down here???

also any pics of girls with the Cap'n???
I am guessing any girls there were tightly bundled in flannel

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks, guys.

Wanted to make sure no one is harboring any bad feelings. I met some SUPER UNH people.

Re: Texas State, don't know yet. May have to make the mad dash down again!!!

More to come.

And, no New Hampy girl pics from me, but Ralph has a few from the game in his I-AA.org "Raod Ralph" cache.

WildcatFan
December 6th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Thank you for posting this. I have to stay I was so steaming mad about all the garbage posted about UNH. Anyone and everyone can post all they want about our poor facilities but saying our fans and players were classless was over the edge. Good luck this weekend.

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Thank you for posting this. I have to stay I was so steaming mad about all the garbage posted about UNH. Anyone and everyone can post all they want about our poor facilities but saying our fans and players were classless was over the edge. Good luck this weekend.

WCF,
Thanks for the "good luck".

I won't say there weren't issues with behavior. The point is, it's over. Don't know where you were in the stadium, if you were there, but.................

:rolleyes:

And, I don't think anyone ever said anything about UNH players (???) - the New Hampy players were positively golden. Along with their coaches, a super bunch of guys who represent their "U" very well.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

WildcatFan
December 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Yes I was there (but not on the visitors side)

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Yes I was there (but not on the visitors side)

It was, um, interesting there...............

MarkCCU
December 6th, 2005, 11:51 AM
that's awesome.

Granite
December 6th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Regarding UNH fans and their behavior, Cap'n Cat had a lot of time to think about it and, having read the thread way down below, He's come to the conclusion that, whereas it made some people feel uncomfortable, you're gonna have that stuff wherever you go. Ninety-nine point nine nine nine nine percent of people there were wonderful. The guys parked next to us at the tailgater were fun and friendly; they shared their awesome chili with us. Some UNH Ath Dept bigwig walked out to welcome us and she was highly complimentary and oozing with goodwill.

Cap'n Cat walked through the thick of tailgating with his Northern Iowa sweatshirt and hat on and got no jeers, but, rather a lot of "Welcome to New Hampshire"'s.

Cap'n Cat was interviewed by the Nashua Telegraph, throughout which The Cap'n said nothing but complimentary things about UNH, their players, administration and fans. (Story was published yesterday - unfortunately, all I said about UNH was not included, as it was a game wrap up article).

Superb experience.

Good to hear Cap'n. I have no doubt that there were some issues, but I'm glad that you were able to put them into perspective and still have a good time.

Glad to have met you, Ralph, and PantherRob before the game - wish I could've joined you all later, especially knowing that our coaching staff picked up the tab!

Good luck against those other Cats down in Texas, and I hope that we get a rematch sometime soon! :)

Granite

Cap'n Cat
December 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Good to hear Cap'n. I have no doubt that there were some issues, but I'm glad that you were able to put them into perspective and still have a good time.

Glad to have met you, Ralph, and PantherRob before the game - wish I could've joined you all later, especially knowing that our coaching staff picked up the tab!

Good luck against those other Cats down in Texas, and I hope that we get a rematch sometime soon! :)

Granite

Back atcha, Granite!

Regarding the tab, that's the same exact thing the other UNI fans said after showing up an hour later!!

All the best!!!

:bow: :bow: xsmoochx xsmoochx xprost2x xprost2x

ngineer
December 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Good to read your report. Really helped put some perspective on what was being ranted about earlier. Never been to UNH, but when LU has gone there in the past, it was a pleasant experience. "New England hospitalilty".
Must say your Panthers are doing the right things and making the plays to win. Will be rootin' for da' "Purple Haze" on Friday night.. ;)

PantherRob82
December 6th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Good to read your report. Really helped put some perspective on what was being ranted about earlier. Never been to UNH, but when LU has gone there in the past, it was a pleasant experience. "New England hospitalilty".
Must say your Panthers are doing the right things and making the plays to win. Will be rootin' for da' "Purple Haze" on Friday night.. ;)
That's funny, my dad thought purple haze would be a great name for a UNI fan group. Especially when the dome is packed and loud.

Coopernh
December 7th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Great to Hear Cap'n.... UNH is Classy!!! Good Luck against Tex State they were impressive the last two weeks, But I think UNI has got "IT"!!!!

Cap'n Cat
December 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Great to Hear Cap'n.... UNH is Classy!!! Good Luck against Tex State they were impressive the last two weeks, But I think UNI has got "IT"!!!!

We'll see, Coop!

:)

colgate13
December 8th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Hey Cap'n, I might have missed it, but how was the weather on that drive? Did you hit a lot of snow like we all feared???

December 8th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Hey Cap'n, I might have missed it, but how was the weather on that drive? Did you hit a lot of snow like we all feared???Catch the road ralph segment of the 12/06 I-AA WAVES Show
http://iaawaves.libsyn.com/media/iaawaves/20051206show.wma

The segment was combined with the Where's Matt segment at the beginning of the show.

Cap'n Cat
December 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Hey Cap'n, I might have missed it, but how was the weather on that drive? Did you hit a lot of snow like we all feared???

TERRIBLE snow from Cleveland, through Pennsylvania and all the way past Jamestown, NY. The thickest Cap'n Cat ever saw in his life! My eyes hurt trying to look through it! It swirled in front of the windshield like we were going through a car wash!

We just opened another beer and accepted our fate, which, happily was positive!

xlolx

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 31st, 2005, 08:31 PM
Operative words: Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!!!!

Talk about CLASSY New Hampshire guys, we met up with a couple coaches at a sports bar in Portsmouth Saturday night and had a TERRIFIC time talking with them about the game. Ralph, PantherRob and I ran up a pretty sizeable tab for beer and food (PantherRob82 musta HAD three orders of wings!!!) as we had been there for hours before the guys showed up. Next thing I know, this cute little waitress comes up to me and says, "Just wanted to let you know, your tab's been taken care of".

Half-dicked up, Cap'n Cat wheezed, "What? Who paid it?"

"The owner of the bar."

"Oh yeah, well, where is he?"

"He's not here right now."

Cap'n Cat looks at one of the UNH coaches who has a little *****-eatin' grin on his face, and says, "Why, you wily old SOB, you!" The coaches picked up our tab!

CLASS.

Thanks, guys! That helped offset the nearly $400 I spent on gas gettin' out there!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Superb experience.

UNI players celebrating on the Wildcat logo?

Yes, it happened. MOF, Cap'n Cat was inches away and has some thoughts on what really occurred.

1. It was a small handful of UNI players who were actually "stomping" on the emblem and being buttholes. The rest were just jumping around, probably oblivious to the fact that they were actually on top of the logo.

2. The New Hampshire players exercised great restraint as they approached the logo and did not feel the need to get into a shoving match and possible riot (CLASS) (by this time, fearing for his own personal safety, Cap'n Cat had backed away about twenty yards - those New Hampy players were HUGE!!!!!).

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, Coach Farley, before any ********* could get started was in the middle of it all, dragging the offenders out and tossing them to the locker room, all the while yelling about how wrong it was and "if you win, you shake hands......". He did a monumental job of preventing any problems.

4. Note to all UNH players and staff - I'm sure the instigators got a blistering earful. Guarantee it.

5. 'Nuff said.

All the best to the New Hampshire program for decades to come.

Thanks for hosting us!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

When I returned from NH on Sunday after the game, I know I didn't get to the computer until late evening when I was exhausted if not until Monday morning. Add in my deep depression and I know I didn't fully appreciate what the Cap'n said in this post. Just wanted to take a moment tonight to thank the Cap'n for taking the time to write such a detailed, genuine post. Should have written these words sooner, but I was in la-la land.

I'd also like to take time on this New Year's Eve for everybody to remember this type of "incident" when they attend games in 2006. If you see it happening, then speak up to stop it and/or contact your security staff. I know I experienced a couple of things while at Georgia Southern that made me uncomfortable, so I can appreciate what it is like to be on unfriendly soil. My experience on this type of forum has lead to some very positive experiences at road games and has actually led to some new friendships. It's a lot more fun to finish the game with some drinks with rival fans than being involved in some ugly incident. It's just another aspect of I-AA football that I'd like to think is superior to the "big boys". I'd like to think we do it the correct way whether it is cost containment, having true STUDENT-Athletes or fan behavior.

Happy New Year everyone and success in 2006 on the road to Chatty!!!

ngineer
December 31st, 2005, 09:43 PM
When I returned from NH on Sunday after the game, I know I didn't get to the computer until late evening when I was exhausted if not until Monday morning. Add in my deep depression and I know I didn't fully appreciate what the Cap'n said in this post. Just wanted to take a moment tonight to thank the Cap'n for taking the time to write such a detailed, genuine post. Should have written these words sooner, but I was in la-la land.

I'd also like to take time on this New Year's Eve for everybody to remember this type of "incident" when they attend games in 2006. If you see it happening, then speak up to stop it and/or contact your security staff. I know I experienced a couple of things while at Georgia Southern that made me uncomfortable, so I can appreciate what it is like to be on unfriendly soil. My experience on this type of forum has lead to some very positive experiences at road games and has actually led to some new friendships. It's a lot more fun to finish the game with some drinks with rival fans than being involved in some ugly incident. It's just another aspect of I-AA football that I'd like to think is superior to the "big boys". I'd like to think we do it the correct way whether it is cost containment, having true STUDENT-Athletes or fan behavior.

Happy New Year everyone and success in 2006 on the road to Chatty!!!

Here, Here!!! xprost2x