PDA

View Full Version : Undefeated Regular Season

Ronbo
July 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Which top team has the best chance to go undefeated? I'm just listing the top ranked. If you think someone like Harvard, Grambling, or South Carolina State can go undefeated list them in a post.

DetroitFlyer
July 13th, 2009, 09:13 AM
If Dayton can get good QB play, we have a decent shot....

AshevilleApp2
July 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hard to tell without knowing the schedules. I think App loses Game 1, so I went with Montana.

Tribe4SF
July 13th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I voted Montana. Going undefeated is a matter of schedule, as well as talent. Making it through unscathed is tough in the CAA, Socon and MVC...especially when you play an FBS. A team from the PFL, Ivy, or SWAC probably has the best chance this year.

RabidRabbit
July 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Montana has the best shot. No FBS teams on the schedule. Weber St. at Missoula.

The other two with a reasonable shot are UNI and SIU. UNI has to knock off Iowa (which they've done before), and win the Dakota State's away games, and hold the home games.

SIU has their FBS game, a D-II game, and winnable OVC game for their OOC. However, have SDSU and UNI as away games in MVFC action. Because of the D-II game, IMHO, SIU only makes play-offs as MVFC champ.

Weber St. has virtually no chance of being undefeated as they have two FBS games to win, and Montana at Montana. NDSU was the last team to win two FBS games in a season, and they had half? of the FCS>FBS wins in 2007, a year that included the App St > Michigan win.

Always a surprise if either a SoCon or a CAA-South team goes through conference unscathed.

crusader11
July 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I hate to be a homer here, but if Holy Cross plays to the level they are capable of playing they have a real good shot of running the table as their schedule is relatively weak this year. With Northeastern replacing UMASS, and Sacred Heart replacing Yale, there is a very real possibility we could go 11-0.

jmufan999
July 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I voted Montana. Going undefeated is a matter of schedule, as well as talent. Making it through unscathed is tough in the CAA, Socon and MVC...especially when you play an FBS. A team from the PFL, Ivy, or SWAC probably has the best chance this year.

totally true. and most CAA/SoCon teams play at least one FBS team, so going undefeated is virtually impossible. even App State lost 2 conference games in the "Michigan year".

i had guessed UNI (because i believe they beat Iowa State one year and almost beat them in another year... 1 point), but I had forgotten about Montana. by my count, they've only played 2 FBS games since 2001 (the furthest back i could go was 2002) and they're not playing an FBS game this year. so the Griz have the best shot.

JMU Newbill
July 13th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I voted Montana for reasons already mentioned (no FBS game)

UNIFanSince1983
July 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
UNI has never beat Iowa (unless it was way way back), but we have beat Iowa State a few times.

We have a decent shot to go undefeated, but not close to the best as Iowa is a top 15 ranked team this year. Getting SIU at home is always good as the home team has won every time since like 1983 or something. NDSU and SDSU will be the other two games that might get us as both of those are on the road.

I think this year App or Montana might have the best shot (of the teams listed). A CAA south team could possibly do it, but their in conference schedule is so brutal that probably won't happen. I think the best shot is a team in the Ivy, Pioneer or one of those smaller conferences.

jstclmet
July 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
xhomerx voted for Nova

Native
July 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
xsmiley_wix

I voted for the WEBER STATE WILDCATS! xhomerx

...figured it would be good for half a dozen counter-posts telling us how stooooopid it is to vote for a team facing Montana and two FBS programs on the schedule.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Ronbo
July 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
If you guys beat Wyoming you'll be the first FCS/IAA team to ever do it.

BEAR
July 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I don't think any team will go undefeated. Too many possibilities of injury to key players, bad official calls, etc...xcoffeex

Skjellyfetti
July 13th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Montana has a pretty favorable schedule. Only 2 games that look to be a much of a challenge... and they're both at home.

Ronbo
July 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Montana has a pretty favorable schedule. Only 2 games that look to be a much of a challenge... and they're both at home.

You're going to be surprised how good Davis, Montana State, and Northern Arizona will be. They will all be + .500 teams and a couple of them could go 8-3. All these games are tough road games.

Native
July 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM
You're going to be surprised how good Davis, Montana State, and Northern Arizona will be. They will all be + .500 teams and a couple of them could go 8-3. All these games are tough road games.

I disagree with your assessment of NAU for 2009, Ronbo. Too many key losses.

biggie
July 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Because of the scheds Montana probably has the best shot, but doubt any of those will.

Even if App beats ECU I think we'll lose another game. Same with Mich, its too much of a 'high' from beating a 'big' team that there is a let down at somepoint in the season, especially with a tough road sched.

catbob
July 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Montana because of the schedule.

Uncle Buck
July 13th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Since Hofstra was my initial thought but left out of the poll, i just went with Montana as the next best shot at going undefeated.

Tribe4SF
July 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM
xhomerx voted for Nova

xlolx Odds not good with three others from that list plus Temple, W&M and Delaware on the schedule. However, if anyone can do it in the CAA this year it's probably Villanova.

Silenoz
July 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
UM because of the reasons already covered

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Voted for Montana, but I think the schedule will be tougher than most think. Weber State is going to be really good, and EWU and NAU will be pretty good as well. Sacramento State and Montana State are also on the way up.

Personally, I don't think any of those teams will even be undefeated in FCS games.

Silenoz
July 13th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Voted for Montana, but I think the schedule will be tougher than most think. Weber State is going to be really good, and EWU and NAU will be pretty good as well. Sacramento State and Montana State are also on the way up.

Personally, I don't think any of those teams will even be undefeated in FCS games.
I think that's debatable

Hoyadestroya85
July 13th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I think Villanova is the most likely team to go undefeated amongst the teams in the CAA/Teams that play FBS teams. Montana is probably most likely to go undefeated though. Villanova is perhaps the only team on this list to have a proven Commodity at both starting and backup quarterback as well as a backfield that could be three or four deep. If the Cats play good defense this year.. they could be tough to stop.

McNeese75
July 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Da Griz xnodx

Redbird Ray
July 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'll say Indiana State. 11-0. Take it to Vegas.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

AppIAA
July 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Villanova is perhaps the only team on this list to have a proven Commodity at both starting and backup quarterback as well as a backfield that could be three or four deep. If the Cats play good defense this year.. they could be tough to stop.

Must not know much about App?

I picked Montana... for reasons already stated

Appinator
July 14th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Because of the scheds Montana probably has the best shot, but doubt any of those will.

Even if App beats ECU I think we'll lose another game. Same with Mich, its too much of a 'high' from beating a 'big' team that there is a let down at somepoint in the season, especially with a tough road sched.

I think it is definitely getting overlooked by the vast majority of ASU followers, but even if we come out of ECU victorious, we turn right back around and face a very good McNeese team with a lot of potential. I know this will be our first game at the new fully completed Rock, but we still will be challenged.

GOKATS
July 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I went with App. St. The griz have the weakest schedule with no FBS game but I don't see them going undefeated this year.

Redbird Ray
July 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
But seriously, I'll say Montana for all the above mentioned reasons. UNI and SIU are going down somewhere in MVC play, just too tough.

McNeese75
July 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I think it is definitely getting overlooked by the vast majority of ASU followers, but even if we come out of ECU victorious, we turn right back around and face a very good McNeese team with a lot of potential. I know this will be our first game at the new fully completed Rock, but we still will be challenged.

xshhhx shhhhhhhhhh

darell1976
July 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
If the Sioux can beat Texas Tech they will run the table!!:D

biggie
July 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Yes, will be a challenge, though I don't know much of McNeese's gains/losses from last year to this one. Shocked there hasn't been a McNeese/App thread, haven't heard of any of them making the trip.

And the Rock won't quite be completed, but still should be great.

WrenFGun
July 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Frankly, UNH and Richmond are the two teams from the CAA who could potentially win their FBS games, and thus have a shot of going undefeated, but I don't think any CAA South team will do it. UNH has Villanova at home, Ball State and W&M on the road, so I think it's unlikely that they do it, too. However, UNH is 4-0 against FBS the last 4 tries.

I think Montana is the best bet. No FBS games, favorable schedule. I don't think the MVC is nearly as good as MVC fans give it credit to be, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an MVC team run the table if they beat their FBS foe.

crossfire07
July 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Yes, will be a challenge, though I don't know much of McNeese's gains/losses from last year to this one. Shocked there hasn't been a McNeese/App thread, haven't heard of any of them making the trip.

And the Rock won't quite be completed, but still should be great.

McNeese graduated A LOT. 20. it is basiclly a rebuilding year. a lot of kids will get thrown to the wolves early starting with a true freshman kicker. they might even have to do what the hockey team here used to do, stop and pick up people along the way to play.

there are a few that post here that will be making the trip. my grandson and I are flying up Thursday before the game.

biggie
July 14th, 2009, 03:38 PM
McNeese graduated A LOT. 20. it is basiclly a rebuilding year. a lot of kids will get thrown to the wolves early starting with a true freshman kicker. they might even have to do what the hockey team here used to do, stop and pick up people along the way to play.

there are a few that post here that will be making the trip. my grandson and I are flying up Thursday before the game.
Ah ok. We had a freshman kicker last year, nothing horrible (ok a few missed extra points). If there is that much rebuilding I'm surprised at the preseason polls then.

Hope to meet up with some of the fans and I hope to make it the away game down there since I have a place to stay that isn't too far away.

As we get closer I'm sure any App fans will help with McNeese travel info.

93henfan
July 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Nobody in the CAA is going undefeated.

DuckDuckGriz
July 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
totally true. and most CAA/SoCon teams play at least one FBS team, so going undefeated is virtually impossible. even App State lost 2 conference games in the "Michigan year".

i had guessed UNI (because i believe they beat Iowa State one year and almost beat them in another year... 1 point), but I had forgotten about Montana. by my count, they've only played 2 FBS games since 2001 (the furthest back i could go was 2002) and they're not playing an FBS game this year. so the Griz have the best shot.

6 FBS games since 2001

Hawaii (01)
Idaho (01, 02, 03)
Oregon (05)
Iowa (06)

GOKATS
July 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
6 FBS games since 2001

Hawaii (01)
Idaho (01, 02, 03)
Oregon (05)
Iowa (06)

Officially Idaho is FBS, but counting them as three of the six FBS games the past eight years is pretty weak, especially taking into consideration that 2 out of 3 of those games were played in Missoula. Real FBS teams don't play FCS teams on the road.

wideright82
July 14th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Officially Idaho is FBS, but counting them as three of the six FBS games the past eight years is pretty weak, especially taking into consideration that 2 out of 3 of those games were played in Missoula. Real FBS teams don't play FCS teams on the road.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

nothing like some good ole fashion logic to start off a night.

wideright82
July 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Nobody in the CAA is going undefeated.

No probably not.... but it has been done before... and I think it'll be hofstra this year. that's right you heard it hear first. Hofstra. Undefeated.

93henfan
July 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
No probably not.... but it has been done before... and I think it'll be hofstra this year. that's right you heard it hear first. Hofstra. Undefeated.

I will wear a UD shirt and no pants at the UD-Nova game this year if Hofstra is undefeated at that point.

wideright82
July 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I will wear a UD shirt and no pants at the UD-Nova game this year if Hofstra is undefeated at that point.

Hell I'LL wear the UD shirt and no pants at the game this year if they are xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Uncle Buck
July 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Hell I'LL wear the UD shirt and no pants at the game this year if they are xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Trust me, i'll hold the both of you to it.

89Hen
July 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Trust me, i'll hold the both of you while you do it.
xeekx

93henfan
July 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
^
I see what you did there. xnonox

SpidersSportsEditor
July 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I think Villanova is the most likely team to go undefeated amongst the teams in the CAA/Teams that play FBS teams.

Nova has to play at UNH, JMU, and Richmond. That would be an impressive three-for-three. Richmond returns almost everyone from the national championship team except for the tight ends, defensive ends and starting backfield, but the replacements at those positions are all very good. And the entire offensive line, which produced the best two running backs in school history, is back. Season opener at Duke is the toughest game on the schedule, if they can pull that off, they could run the table with JMU down a little bit and home games against Nova, UMass, and W&M. Plus, JMU and Nova beat them last year, so they'll be ready.

DuckDuckGriz
July 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Nova has to play at UNH, JMU, and Richmond. That would be an impressive three-for-three. Richmond returns almost everyone from the national championship team except for the tight ends, defensive ends and starting backfield, but the replacements at those positions are all very good. And the entire offensive line, which produced the best two running backs in school history, is back. Season opener at Duke is the toughest game on the schedule, if they can pull that off, they could run the table with JMU down a little bit and home games against Nova, UMass, and W&M. Plus, JMU and Nova beat them last year, so they'll be ready.

All I can say is that offensive line is crazy good.

Uncle Buck
July 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
89Hen, i just threw up in my mouth. But very funny indeed.

griz&beer
July 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Duke will not be that tuff. xrolleyesx

Silenoz
July 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Unless Sutcliffe (is that it?) is the real deal and keeps that program on the rise

Mikeyosef
July 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Though I would dearly love to vote for App State I don't think we have a better than 50% chance to beat our first opponent. Plus the rest of our season is going to be pretty tough with a couple of key games away from the Rock. Still you never know and an undefeated season is definitely out of the realm of possibility. Can't wait to see how it all turns out...One thing I can guaranty; I'll be there with App every step of the way!

blueballs
July 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Though I would dearly love to vote for App State I don't think we have a better than 50% chance to beat our first opponent. Plus the rest of our season is going to be pretty tough with a couple of key games away from the Rock. Still you never know and an undefeated season is definitely out of the realm of possibility. Can't wait to see how it all turns out...One thing I can guaranty; I'll be there with App every step of the way!

Good first post there Mikey... welcome to the community!

srgrizizen
July 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
It's tough for anyone to go undefeated, but I voted for Montana. And yes, the schedule is a big part of it, but UMs opponents are not (all) as inept as many continually maintain, though not on this thread, thankfully.

Mountaineer
July 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3535/dickie5b25d.jpg

Gotta go with da Griz!! There's a reason they've won 45 straight Big Sky titles, baaaaybeee!

DuckDuckGriz
July 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Dickie V never comes out here. East coast bias.