PDA

View Full Version : Is Wofford's new weight room best in FCS?

WOCO
July 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Wofford's new weight room just opened up. It's built to NFL standards because the panthers have camp at wofford. It's a huge recruiting tool too. Check it out.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=14

smallcollegefbfan
July 13th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Wofford's new weight room just opened up. It's built to NFL standards because the panthers have camp at wofford. It's a huge recruiting tool too. Check it out.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=14

It is certainly up there. There are some other new weight rooms in FCS and some that are currently being built. I would like to see pictures of all of them and compare.

Richardson has always given money to his old college but when is he going to start bringing their players into camp? I really wish he would have given Andy Strickland a chance before the Jaguars did. The OG Pat Illig is one that Carolina could use in two years from now. xthumbsupx

ButlerGSU
July 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Very nice. My only question would be why does it have carpet instead of rubber flooring?

SideLine Shooter
July 13th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Very nice. I guess Wes Herlocker is in heaven in the new weight room. Must be nice having Jerry write the checks.

SuperJon
July 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM
It's probably nicer aesthetically but I would take Liberty's weight room over pretty much anyone. It's bigger and has more stuff than most NFL weight rooms. I know for sure that it's better than the Patriots, Jaguars, and Seahawks.

Tribe4SF
July 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Good strength training facilities are a must these days. W&M's Montgomery Weight Room was one of our first upgrades back in the Nineties.

http://web.wm.edu/speedstrength/photos2.html

Eight Legger
July 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Well, in my personal tours of 89 FCS weight rooms, I would definitely rank this one in the top 8...

terrierbob
July 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Well, in my personal tours of 89 FCS weight rooms, I would definitely rank this one in the top 8...

Kidding about the 89 weight rooms, right?!?

jmufan999
July 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Kidding about the 89 weight rooms, right?!?

yeah i think he's being sarcastic....

Old Cage
July 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM
http://www.umassathletics.com/genrel/071503aaa.html

"one of the finest facilities nationally among NCAA Division I institutions"

Franks Tanks
July 13th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Wofford's is very nice, but a lot of FCS schools now have great weight rooms. At Lafayette we have two weight rooms- one just for FB and one for all other sports. The all sports area is nice, but not great. The FB only area is very nice with the logo printed on the weights just like Wofford.

Uncle Buck
July 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Nice room. Weightrooms have definitely changed since my playing days. Half of the equipment in the pictures, i had no idea what the hell it was for!

Bench, dumbells, power rack, leg press, that was the staple to get it done. Now everything looks too damn confusing. Takes all the creativity out of working out!

Tribe4SF
July 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Nice room. Weightrooms have definitely changed since my playing days. Half of the equipment in the pictures, i had no idea what the hell it was for!

Bench, dumbells, power rack, leg press, that was the staple to get it done. Now everything looks too damn confusing. Takes all the creativity out of working out!

xlolx Yeah, some of us older guys would need a three-credit course just to complete a modern workout. The biggest advances in training have been in the area of developing strength along with flexibility. In the old days we were all stiff by comparison.

Uncle Buck
July 13th, 2009, 11:48 AM
xlolx Yeah, some of us older guys would need a three-credit course just to complete a modern workout. The biggest advances in training have been in the area of developing strength along with flexibility. In the old days we were all stiff by comparison.

Isn't that the truth. I would need a course and a cheat sheet. Some of those contraptions looked downright midievil!

andy7171
July 13th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I dont like the rubber weights.

Too many dumbells, decreases team work!

Green26
July 13th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Dartmouth has a new 10,000 sq. ft. weight room. There are multiple photos in this link.

http://dartmouthsports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&PALBID=16679

DFW HOYA
July 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Wofford's is very nice, but a lot of FCS schools now have great weight rooms.

Do "temporary" weight rooms count?

EagleDawg
July 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Seemed a bit dark like working out in a cave but maybe it was just the photography. Wofford usually does things pretty much first class so I wouldn't expect the weight room to be an exception. From just a personal taste standpoint, I prefer higher ceilings and more light. On the other hand, the room is there to lift so once you are lifting the focus is all on the weights, the correct posture and getting the work done.

OLDMAIN80
July 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Very nice. I guess Wes Herlocker is in heaven in the new weight room. Must be nice having Jerry write the checks.

Jerry didn't write the check for this one. The funds were provided by Joe E. Taylor, 1980 graduate of Wofford.xthumbsupx

WOCO
July 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM
We all know that the weight room is for lifting but we also know that a huge part of the weight room is for recruiting. I really think the aesthetics matter a lot. You want recruits to walk away and say that they haven't seen anything like that in the past. That being said, sign me of for that 3 hour course because I wouldn't have had a clue what to do with half of the stuff in there when I played either. I think we used to flip tractor tires up a hill or something lol!

BDKJMU
July 13th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Very nice. My only question would be why does it have carpet instead of rubber flooring?

Looks great, but I don't get the carpet either. With heavy use (would all sports be using it?), carpet in a weight room is going to get torn up. Probably would have to re carpet every few years. If they want asthetics they could still get that with rubber mats in the team colors which would look almost as nice asthetically for the recruits. It might be even more expensive than carpet, but would last a lot longer and be more practical.

BDKJMU
July 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Thats for all the cleans, power cleans, and push presses teams do now a days. Can't be boucing metal plates off the platforms!

wideright82
July 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM

kickers xrolleyesx

KiddBrewer
July 13th, 2009, 03:27 PM
ill let ya know when i see the new one at KBS haha.....but yea i would have to believe WC's is definitely up there.

Wildcat80
July 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
There are ALOT of terrific weight rooms throughout FCS football. Heck even UNH's equipment is top notch thanks to Jerry Azumah!!! Just need a new, bigger room. Just do it Cats!:)

SuperJon
July 13th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Ours is 16,000 square feet and football only. It's got 20-something racks along with room for cardio and other things.

Are these other ones football only? Are they in your football facility or located somewhere else?

I just want to compare all of them since this has been an upgrade of teams recently.

Saint3333
July 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
In two month it may not be the best in the SoCon. ASU will finalize a 10,000 sq. ft. weight room as well as a state of the art rehab center including three hydrotherapy pools in the new facility.

blitz4
July 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Looks great, but I don't get the carpet either. With heavy use (would all sports be using it?), carpet in a weight room is going to get torn up. Probably would have to re carpet every few years. If they want asthetics they could still get that with rubber mats in the team colors which would look almost as nice asthetically for the recruits. It might be even more expensive than carpet, but would last a lot longer and be more practical.

I have been in it and there is rubber "mondo" flooring around the free weights. The quality of equipment is top of the line, (UCS I think). Some schools are going to be able to equal the quantity, but NOONE on our level will be able to beat the quality and quantity.

WCU LawCat
July 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Western Carolina Digs include view of the field as you lift...

http://www.catamountsports.com/ot/strength-conditioning.html

BEAR
July 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics29/200/BT/BTZFTHTJDIHVBVN.20080131191641.jpg
The Bears are looking into building a new weight room. $ is always the issue. With this guy on staff...you gotta give him the best equipment. 2008 FCS Samson Strength and Training Coach of the year!xnodx

Cobblestone
July 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM
The equipment is impressive but the carpeting and lighting are horrible. Still, I have no doubt that I could get a great workout there.

Hammerhead
July 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Wofford's weight room looks classier than NDSU although the BSA's weight room is bigger by 2000 sq. ft.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&ATCLID=74763

That area used to be racquetball courts and a basketball court back in they day when I was a student and when I participated in the NYSP before college.