PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rushmore of FCS

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Can't remember if someone already did this but if you had to select 4 heads to put on the Mount Rushmore of FCS who would you select? The player had to play during the years since I-AA/FCS was formed by the NCAA thus making players from 1978-present worthy of the list.

Here are the four I would select.

LB Dexter Coakley, Appalachian State
Coakley is still the only two-time winner of the Buck Buchanan Award after recording 165 and 166 tackles in his last two seasons. His senior season included 3 games of 20 tackles or more with his performance at I-A Wake Forest among the highlights of those 3 games. He also capped of his illustrious career at App State as the all-time leading tackler in NCAA Football history with 616. Coakley was drafted in the 3rd round of the 1997 NFL Draft by the Cowboys and was named to 3 Pro Bowls (99, 01, 03) during his tenure in the NFL. His tackle data before 2001 is not available but he posted 438 tackles since 03 and 13 career interceptions.

QB Steve McNair, Alcorn State
McNair is the 1994 winner of the Walter Payton Award and finished 3rd in the balloting for the Heisman Trophy. He threw for 14,496 yards and finished with 16,823 career yards, both of which are the most all time. He also is the all-time leader in career yards per game (400.5), season yards per game (527.2), and season yards (5,799). He was selected 3rd overall and spent 13 years in the NFL playing for the Oilers, Titans, and Ravens. He threw for 31,304 yards, 174 touchdowns, posted an 82.8 QB rating, and was a 3-time Pro Bowl selection (00, 03, 05). Some have called McNair the toughest QB to ever play the game.

FB Adrian Peterson, Georgia Southern
Peterson is perhaps the most decorated running back in I-AA/FCS history most known for his 1999 Walter Payton Award and the highlights known as "The Run" and "The Son of the Run". His 6,559 yards, which is the most all-time, don't even include all of his impressive postseason performances. He ranks second in yards per game by averaging 156.2 and totaled 84 rushing touchdowns, which is 15 more than anyone else in I-AA/FCS history. Peterson went on to be selected in the 6th round of the 2002 NFL Draft and has spent 7 years in the NFL playing for the Bears where he has totaled 1,232 yards and eight touchdowns in a backup role.

WR Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State
Rice finished tied for 5th in career receptions per game (7.3), 5th in season receptions per game in 1984 (10.3) and 6th in 1983 (10.2). He is 4th all-time in career receptions (301), 3rd in career yards per game (114.5), first in career receiving yards (4,693), and first in season points per game (16.2). Rice was selected 16th overall in the 1985 draft and spent 20 years in the NFL playing for the 49ers, Raiders, and Seahawks and finished as the all-time leader in receiving yards (22,895) and receiving touchdowns (197). He was a 13-time Pro Bowl selection, 12-time All-Pro selection, and 3-time Super Bowl Champion.

HONORABLE MENTION
DE Jared Allen, Idaho State
RB Jerry Azumah, New Hampshire
QB Dave Dickenson, Montana
RB Kenny Gamble, Colgate
QB Tracy Ham, Georgia Southern
FS Rashean Mathis, Bethune-Cookman
RB Dave Meggett, Towson
QB Ricky Santos, New Hampshire
RB Brian Westbrook, Villanova

Who would you select? List your four and why. NFL accomplishments can only be used as icing on the cake and not the main point of your argument.

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Does it have to be players...?

Peterson and Rice are hands down, but before I vote - I want to make sure no one was left off. McNair may be an IN too, just because of how he really got himself on the map with his Heisman votes and getting that SHSU/Alcorn game on ABC! A person like Dave Meggett of Towson...one of the most explosive players in I-AA/FCS history. ;)

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Does it have to be players...?

Peterson and Rice are hands down, but before I vote - I want to make sure no one was left off. McNair may be an IN too, just because of how he really got himself on the map with his Heisman votes and getting that SHSU/Alcorn game on ABC! A person like Dave Meggett of Towson...one of the most explosive players in I-AA/FCS history. ;)

It says "player" in the post. Did not say it specifically had to be because I would assume just players if I was reading it but good question. Players only! xthumbsupx

Why would you not say McNair and Coakley are hands down? No other player ever finished as high as McNair in the Heisman balloting or put up the amount of yards he did as nobody ever put up near the tackles Coakley did and he is still the only 2-time winner of the Buchanan.

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Because I am trying to be difficult... ;)

And I want to open it up some more.

Peterson
Rice
McNair
Meggett

Defense wins championships, but we all like a good offense!

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Because I am trying to be difficult... ;)

And I want to open it up some more.

Peterson
Rice
McNair
Meggett

Defense wins championships, but we all like a good offense!

Well, this makes my next thread tough because I wanted to have an overall four and then one for offense, defense, and for coaches.

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
If you had to select 4 heads to put on the FCS Defense Mount Rushmore who would you select? The player had to play during the years since I-AA/FCS was formed by the NCAA thus making players from 1978-present worthy of the list.

DE Jared Allen, Idaho State
Allen became the first Big Sky player to win Buck Buchanan Award in 2003 after tallying 102 tackles, 28 TFL, and 17.5 sacks as a senior. His four-sack game against EWU, 3 fumble recoveries, and nine pass deflections were also among the many impressive feats he accomplished that year. He also averaged 1.46 sacks per game that year and is 5th all-time in season pass sacks (17.5). A four-time All-Big Sky selection, Allen twice earn All-America honors. He was selected in the 4th round of the 2004 NFL Draft and played 4 years with the Chiefs, earning a Pro Bowl selection (07) with 15 1/2 sacks and is currently on the Vikings roster.

LB Dexter Coakley, Appalachian State
Coakley is still the only two-time winner of the Buck Buchanan Award after recording 165 and 166 tackles in his last two seasons. His senior season included 3 games of 20 tackles or more. He also capped of his illustrious career at App State as the all-time leading tackler in NCAA Football history with 616 and was a 3-time All-American. Coakley was drafted in the 3rd round of the 1997 NFL Draft by the Cowboys and was named the 1997 NFC Defensive Rookie of the Year. Coakley was named to 3 Pro Bowls (99, 01, 03) and while no tackle data before 01 is available he had 438 tackles since 03 and 13 career interceptions.

LB Boomer Grigsby, Illinois State
Grigsby probably would not be on most lists but he is on mine because he is the best player to never win a Buck Buchanan Award of those who have been eligible. He finished in the top 3 as a junior and senior for the award and finished with a school record 179 tackles back to back seasons. He finished 2nd all-time in career tackles per game (12.5), 1st in season tackles per game (16.3), and 2nd in career tackles (580). Grigsby is also a 3-time I-AA All-American (02-04). He was selected in the 5th round of the 2005 NFL Draft and has played 4 seasons in the NFL for the Dolphins and Chiefs. He is currently on the Houston Texans roster.

FS Rashean Mathis, Bethune-Cookman
Mathis is a 3-time All-American who finished with 31 career interceptions and played both CB and FS, in addition to playing PR and was a sprinter on the track team. He was the first DB to win the Buck Buchanan Award in 2002 after breaking I-AA season records for INTs and INT return yards that year. He finished with 200 tackles, 41 deflections, 3 FR, and 3 FF in his career. His 31 INTs topped the I-AA career-record of 28 by Dave Murphy of Holy Cross and 667 INT return yards broke all-time record of 488 yards by William & Mary's Darren Sharper. He was selected in the 2nd round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Jaguars and was named to the Pro Bowl in 06.

HONORABLE MENTION
DE Steve Baggs, Bethune-Cookman
LB Jordan Beck, Cal Poly
LB Liam Ezekiel, Northeastern
DE Chris Gocong, Cal Poly
DE Shawn Johnson, Delaware
FS Corey Lynch, Appalachian State
DE Robert Mathis, Alabama A&M
DB Dave Murphy, Holy Cross
DT Freddy Pesqueira, Georgia Southern
DB Darren Sharper, William & Mary

Who would you select? List your four and why. NFL accomplishments can only be used as icing on the cake and not the main point of your argument.

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Here is the Mount Rushmore of FCS Offense.

QB Steve McNair, Alcorn State
McNair is the 1994 winner of the Walter Payton Award and finished 3rd in the balloting for the Heisman Trophy. He threw for 14,496 yards and finished with 16,823 career yards, both of which are the most all time. He also is the all-time leader in career yards per game (400.5), season yards per game (527.2), and season yards (5,799). He was selected 3rd overall and spent 13 years in the NFL playing for the Oilers, Titans, and Ravens. He threw for 31,304 yards, 174 touchdowns, posted an 82.8 QB rating, and was a 3-time Pro Bowl selection (00, 03, 05). Some have called McNair the toughest QB to ever play the game.

FB Adrian Peterson, Georgia Southern
Peterson is perhaps the most decorated running back in I-AA/FCS history most known for his 1999 Walter Payton Award and the highlights known as "The Run" and "The Son of the Run". His 6,559 yards, which is the most all-time, don't even include all of his impressive postseason performances. He ranks second in yards per game by averaging 156.2 and totaled 84 rushing touchdowns, which is 15 more than anyone else in I-AA/FCS history. Peterson went on to be selected in the 6th round of the 2002 NFL Draft and has spent 7 years in the NFL playing for the Bears where he has totaled 1,232 yards and eight touchdowns in a backup role.

WR Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State
Rice finished tied for 5th in career receptions per game (7.3), 5th in season receptions per game in 1984 (10.3) and 6th in 1983 (10.2). He is 4th all-time in career receptions (301), 3rd in career yards per game (114.5), first in career receiving yards (4,693), and first in season points per game (16.2). Rice was selected 16th overall in the 1985 draft and spent 20 years in the NFL playing for the 49ers, Raiders, and Seahawks and finished as the all-time leader in receiving yards (22,895) and receiving touchdowns (197). He was a 13-time Pro Bowl selection, 12-time All-Pro selection, and 3-time Super Bowl Champion.

Santos won the 2006 Walter Payton Award after throwing for 2,681 yards, 23 TDs, and 12 rushing TDs. After just 3 seasons he threw for 9,796 pass yards, 93 TD passes, and just 24 INTs. He finished his career averaging 292.3 yards per game, finished 8th in season yards (4,296), 7th in career pass eff. (157.2), 3rd in career yards (13,212), 1st in completions (1,122), and was a 3-time All-American (05-07), 4-time All-A-10/CAA (04-07), and 3-time A-10/CAA OFF POY (05-07) selection. His #2 jersey was retired by New Hampshire. He signed with the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent and is currently playing in the CFL for Montreal.

HONORABLE MENTION
QB Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State (will be on the top 4 if he wins the Payton again)
RB Dave Meggett, Towson

I only selected an honorable mention for this because it was so tough picking my 4th player. I think any of those in the honorable mention could easily go in the top 4.

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Armanti would be ineligible by my books until he completes his eligibility. I've never been a fan of anointing someone to a Hall of Fame or retiring a jersey until they are finished...

Thanks for mentioning Meggett this go-arond. Where would you include David Ball? Is he honorable mention-worthy? And how do you go about dealing with those great one-year transfers that have come through?

smallcollegefbfan
July 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Armanti would be ineligible by my books until he completes his eligibility. I've never been a fan of anointing someone to a Hall of Fame or retiring a jersey until they are finished...

Thanks for mentioning Meggett this go-around. Where would you include David Ball? Is he honorable mention-worthy? And how do you go about dealing with those great one-year transfers that have come through?

I only listed AE because I knew people would say that he should be considered once he is finished. I don't like putting someone in the Hall of Fame or retiring jerseys until they are done. Ball was close to honorable mention but I did not want to water it down by including 15 names or so.

If a transfer breaks all the single season records in his 1-2 year stint, wins a Payton, national title, etc. then I would say he should be considered. I really like honoring those who chose the I-AA/FCS route out of high school and not the ones who couldn't cut it at the I-A/FBS level and thus decided to transfer down.

andy7171
July 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Dave Meggett

Was the original 3rd down back in the NFL.

If anyone replaces him, AE would be the one.

Hoyadestroya85
July 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Mount Rushmore of FCS coaches?

93henfan
July 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Mount Rushmore of FCS coaches?

3 Rs. Robinson, Raymond, Russell. I'm sure there are other worthy candidates, but those three instantly come to mind.

T-Dog
July 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I only listed AE because I knew people would say that he should be considered once he is finished. I don't like putting someone in the Hall of Fame or retiring jerseys until they are done. Ball was close to honorable mention but I did not want to water it down by including 15 names or so.

People are going to think I'm crazy but I still think Richie Williams was a better QB than Armanti. Armanti has more to work with than Richie and didn't have to go from a Power I to a Spread Option.

I find it hard to argue with the original four.

CrunchGriz
July 13th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Here is the Mount Rushmore of FCS Offense.

Santos won the 2006 Walter Payton Award after throwing for 2,681 yards, 23 TDs, and 12 rushing TDs. After just 3 seasons he threw for 9,796 pass yards, 93 TD passes, and just 24 INTs. He finished his career averaging 292.3 yards per game, finished 8th in season yards (4,296), 7th in career pass eff. (157.2), 3rd in career yards (13,212), 1st in completions (1,122), and was a 3-time All-American (05-07), 4-time All-A-10/CAA (04-07), and 3-time A-10/CAA OFF POY (05-07) selection. His #2 jersey was retired by New Hampshire. He signed with the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent and is currently playing in the CFL for Montreal.

HONORABLE MENTION
QB Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State (will be on the top 4 if he wins the Payton again)
RB Dave Meggett, Towson

I only selected an honorable mention for this because it was so tough picking my 4th player. I think any of those in the honorable mention could easily go in the top 4.

Well, no offense to Ricky Santos, who was a great QB, and you can call this a homer post, but neither the numbers nor the results add up to putting him in the top four over Dave Dickenson.

Virtually every number you have for Mr. Santos above was bettered by Dickenson, most handily. Dickenson averaged 321 yards/game passing (Santos 292), had a higher single season passing yards number (5,676 versus 4,296), had a higher career quarterback efficiency rating (167.5 versus 157.2), had more career passing yards (13,486 versus 9,796), TD passes (116 versus 93), and was responsible for more TDs (at least 138 [see below] versus 123). Dickenson's passing yardage total alone is more than Santos' passing and rushing yardages combined (and Dickenson had quite a few rushing yards himself, although I can't seem to be able to find the totals).

He also still holds four playoff records: Most yards passing in one year's tournament (1500 yards in 1995); most passes completed in one year's tournament (122); best single game completion percentage (.841 versus Delaware in 1993); and best tournament completion percentage (.768 in 1994).

In the playoffs, against arguably the toughest I-AA/FCS competition in the country, he shone even brighter than his regular-season laser-like accuracy, with a 173.3 QB efficiency rating, 75.1% completion percentage, and 343.7 passing yards/game [even including one game against McNeese which he had to leave in the first quarter because of injury--counting only the six games he was able to finish, he averaged 390.8 yds passing/game] in seven career playoff games, including 20 TDs and only 2 interceptions.

Additionally, he rushed for at least 22 TDs (I can't find playoff rushing numbers for his first two years in the playoffs, so he may have had more). Like Santos, he too was a three-time All-American and three-time conference Offensive POY, and last and certainly not least, he led the Griz to their first national championship, something Santos was never able to do for his team.

He technically did play in four seasons, but he only threw 27 passes as a freshman, so he essentially played the same number of seasons as Santos.

Dickenson is one of those who are slighted because his playoff numbers aren't included in the NCAA records, but once you add those numbers back in (for comparing apples to apples), it's very clear that he was better than Santos.

smallcollegefbfan
July 13th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Well, no offense to Ricky Santos, who was a great QB, and you can call this a homer post, but neither the numbers nor the results add up to putting him in the top four over Dave Dickenson.

Virtually every number you have for Mr. Santos above was bettered by Dickenson, most handily. Dickenson averaged 321 yards/game passing (Santos 292), had a higher single season passing yards number (5,676 versus 4,296), had a higher career quarterback efficiency rating (167.5 versus 157.2), had more career passing yards (13,486 versus 9,796), TD passes (116 versus 93), and was responsible for more TDs (at least 138 [see below] versus 123). Dickenson's passing yardage total alone is more than Santos' passing and rushing yardages combined (and Dickenson had quite a few rushing yards himself, although I can't seem to be able to find the totals).

He also still holds four playoff records: Most yards passing in one year's tournament (1500 yards in 1995); most passes completed in one year's tournament (122); best single game completion percentage (.841 versus Delaware in 1993); and best tournament completion percentage (.768 in 1994).

In the playoffs, against arguably the toughest I-AA/FCS competition in the country, he shone even brighter than his regular-season laser-like accuracy, with a 173.3 QB efficiency rating, 75.1% completion percentage, and 343.7 passing yards/game [even including one game against McNeese which he had to leave in the first quarter because of injury--counting only the six games he was able to finish, he averaged 390.8 yds passing/game] in seven career playoff games, including 20 TDs and only 2 interceptions.

Additionally, he rushed for at least 22 TDs (I can't find playoff rushing numbers for his first two years in the playoffs, so he may have had more). Like Santos, he too was a three-time All-American and three-time conference Offensive POY, and last and certainly not least, he led the Griz to their first national championship, something Santos was never able to do for his team.

He technically did play in four seasons, but he only threw 27 passes as a freshman, so he essentially played the same number of seasons as Santos.

Dickenson is one of those who are slighted because his playoff numbers aren't included in the NCAA records, but once you add those numbers back in (for comparing apples to apples), it's very clear that he was better than Santos.

Many players are screwed by the playoff rule. Once the NCAA does the right thing and includes them I would definitely look at it again. In the current record books Santos is ahead of Dickenson in several categories but Dickenson is ahead in a few himself. I want to see the record books with playoffs included on everyone since 1978.

89Hen
July 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Well, this makes my next thread tough because I wanted to have an overall four and then one for offense, defense, and for coaches.
It's your game, but how can you have four different Mount Rushmore's? Isn't the whole point to have the four most representative no matter if they were offense, defense or a coach? xeyebrowx

smallcollegefbfan
July 13th, 2009, 09:02 AM
It's your game, but how can you have four different Mount Rushmore's? Isn't the whole point to have the four most representative no matter if they were offense, defense or a coach? xeyebrowx

I just did it to see who people would point out for each category. That brings up a good point. Who would be the 4 overall? I would guess Eddie Robinson, Jerry Rice, Steve McNair, and I could see any of 4 in the 4th spot.

Gil Dobie
July 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I would replace Coakley with Tracy Ham.

Only quarterback to rush for 3,000 yards and pass for 5,000 yards in a career. Led GSU to 2 I-AA Titles. Great come-from-behind victory over Furman for the NC. Later became the first CFL QB to rush for 1000 yards.

smallcollegefbfan
July 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I would replace Coakley with Tracy Ham.

Only quarterback to rush for 3,000 yards and pass for 5,000 yards in a career. Led GSU to 2 I-AA Titles. Great come-from-behind victory over Furman for the NC. Later became the first CFL QB to rush for 1000 yards.

Actually, Ham was the only one until this past year. Armanti Edwards has passed for 7,101 yards and rushed for 3,682 yards. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armanti_Edwards He could perhaps surpass 4,500 rushing and 10,000 passing for a career.

Still, at this point it is a tough call. AE definitely goes on the list with Rice, McNair, and Peterson if he throws for 2500 yards and runs for over 1,200 yards and wins a 2nd Payton.

I have a hard time leaving Coakley off any list like this because of the 2 Buchanan Awards, all-time leading tackler in all of college football, and then he went on to the NFL to play a decade and was selected to several Pro Bowls.

I am trying to find Ham's yearly college stats. Anyone have them?

catamount man
July 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Mount Rushmore of FCS coaches:

Tubby Raymond
Roy Kidd
Jerry Moore
Bob Waters

(It's a shame Waters and Moore never matched wits)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catbob
July 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
What about Neil Lomax for PSU? I believe of his 4 years at PSU, 3 were in I-AA; I can't confirm this though.

But:

He threw for 13,220 yards, 106 TDs, including 7 TDs in a quarter in a 105-0 win against Delaware State. All in 35 starts.

In 1980 he threw for 4,127 yards, 37 TDs, 5 rushing, 12 INTs. That is averaging about 434 passing yards a game.

At one time he held over 90 I-AA records, and finished 7th in the Heisman voting in 1980.