PDA

View Full Version : Story of UND/UCA "Reclassification Bowl"

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM
No one returned calls, North Dakota did. Great job UND! I've been talking in SLC circles about how much this game makes sense for the teams...

UCA returns the game in 2012 - when their schedule reportedly includes Ole Miss and Oklahoma State. Does this mean the only home games are SLC ones...?

LITTLE ROCK — An offensive coordinator at heart, Clint Conque’s anticipatory skills are keen.

The caller from Little Rock was bumbling through a question about naming the Nov. 28 game between the University of Central Arkansas and North Dakota when the UCA football coach interrupted with “Transition Bowl.”

Nice. Descriptive and uncluttered with corporate names or dot.coms.

Brad Teague, the UCA athletic director, finished second in the name-that-game contest when he promised to call back with some answers about the “Reclassification Bowl.”

http://arkansasnews.com/2009/07/11/bowl-game-of-sorts-for-uca/

BEAR
July 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Nice. Needs another name though. I can't wait for the return game at North Dakota. I hear it's beautiful country. Conque, Teague and the whole athletic staff really are trying to make UCA competitive in the FCS. xbowx Hawaii...geez, wish I could go. xlolx

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
UCABEAR, what's the deal with 2012...? Three road games (Ole Miss, UND and Okie State) to make up the entire OOC? Or is Oklahoma State coming off the schedule (maybe moved?)?

BEAR
July 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
7 conference games
2 out of conference (UND and ? )
1 FBS game (OSU or Ole Miss)
...that still leaves 1 game available as either OOC or FBS. Why would UCA drop either? 2 money games may be losses but that will help the budget. Plus they're both close to Arkansas at Okie and Ole Miss. Sounds reasonable after geting nice checks from 2 FBS schools. Am I missing something? xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
July 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
7 conference games
2 out of conference (UND and ? )
1 FBS game (OSU or Ole Miss)
...that still leaves 1 game available as either OOC or FBS. Why would UCA drop either? 2 money games may be losses but that will help the budget. Plus they're both close to Arkansas at Okie and Ole Miss. Sounds reasonable after geting nice checks from 2 FBS schools. Am I missing something? xeyebrowx

Seven conference games...?

What happened to Lamar? The SLC slates are set through 2012 and starting in 2011, that includes Lamar (and yes - Texas State) to give us eight. Four home. Four away.

It is not a 13-game season.

BEAR
July 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Well then I guess one OOC game gets dropped but UND will be on the schedule.

8 conference games
2 money games
1 UND game

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I am going to assume that one of the FBS games is not signed off on despite popular belief. I know the Ole Miss game has been signed off on since it gets mentioned at every chance, but I just can not see UCA doing a schedule with FOUR home games and SEVEN away games.

Thundar
July 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I don't see the big deal with this game? UCA will win easily

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I don't see the big deal with this game? UCA will win easily

The "big deal" is that it is two PWCs that are playing following the end of the traditional regular season in a non-postseason game (no playoffs, no Gridiron Game, no SWAC game). It's a neat idea.

BEAR
July 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
The only reason UCA gets to play UND in a 12th game is because the NCAA allows any team that is part of an 11 game schedule to play a 12th if they play Hawaii..it's an incentive I guess. I don't know much about UND, but I'm glad to get a home game that late in the year...it's a long long 9 months between games. xlolx

RabidRabbit
July 13th, 2009, 08:33 AM
The only reason UCA gets to play UND in a 12th game is because the NCAA allows any team that is part of an 11 game schedule to play a 12th if they play Hawaii..it's an incentive I guess. I don't know much about UND, but I'm glad to get a home game that late in the year...it's a long long 9 months between games. xlolx

Isn't UCA eligible for play-offs by 2012? I thought they were in transition purgatory through 2010 or 2011, about 2 years behind SDSU.

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2009, 08:48 AM
RR - they are talking about this year as it relates to the 12th game - not 2012. We worked that one out - they only have one FBS game plus the road trip to UND.

They will be eligible in 2010. The two fast-tracked sports (baseball, w soccer) are eligible this year.

F'N Hawks
July 13th, 2009, 09:25 AM
The "big deal" is that it is two PWCs that are playing following the end of the traditional regular season in a non-postseason game (no playoffs, no Gridiron Game, no SWAC game). It's a neat idea.

In case you guys haven't noticed already, Bison fans are experts on everything football. All the time. Year round.

RabidRabbit
July 13th, 2009, 09:43 AM
RR - they are talking about this year as it relates to the 12th game - not 2012. We worked that one out - they only have one FBS game plus the road trip to UND.

They will be eligible in 2010. The two fast-tracked sports (baseball, w soccer) are eligible this year.

Thanks TT! xbowxxbowx I think even UND/USD are eligible in 2012. xnodxxnodx

OrygunBison
July 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
In case you guys haven't noticed already, Bison fans are experts on everything football. All the time. Year round.

That was helpful. Thanks much for your thoughtful insight.

dakotadan
July 14th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Yep, 2012-13 will be UND's and USD's first season eligible for playoffs in all sports.

And it's nice to see the home-home with UCA. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of our other sports teams compete also.

NDB
July 15th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Nice. Needs another name though. I can't wait for the return game at North Dakota. I hear it's beautiful country. Conque, Teague and the whole athletic staff really are trying to make UCA competitive in the FCS. xbowx Hawaii...geez, wish I could go. xlolx

Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, especially if one is concerned with the aesthetics of the Red River Valley.

For many, the area triggers memories of feeling up their first high school Twiggyesque girlfriend - My God! Could it be any more flat!?!