PDA

View Full Version : The NCAA should require a buffer zone

blazrdog#1
July 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM
around football fields. The new fieldhouse at Samford IS too close to the end zone! I guess the new football slogan will be " Fear THE Wall !" And I don't mean the defensive line.

sikolec
July 10th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Any pictures?

sikolec
July 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I agree 100%. This reminds me last year of the Houston WR. I remember watching this live and feeling so bad for this kid. He made a great TD catch and after leaving the endzone didn't even see the equipment cart that broke his leg.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqVloclNNI

blazrdog#1
July 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Go to samfordsports.com.... can't copy & paste right now.

Skjellyfetti
July 10th, 2009, 11:33 AM
UNI doesn't have much room either:

http://www.pantherfb.org/XPanthers/100_5011.jpg

UNHWildCats
July 10th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I agree 100%. This reminds me last year of the Houston WR. I remember watching this live and feeling so bad for this kid. He made a great TD catch and after leaving the endzone didn't even see the equipment cart that broke his leg.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqVloclNNI
nasty hit there. But he didnt catch it

sikolec
July 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Wow. That is super close but looks fantastic.

Here to help you out:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/sikolec/samfordfieldhouse.gif

sikolec
July 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM
nasty hit there. But he didnt catch it

Haha you're right. Guess the only thing I remember was him breaking his leg xoopsx

TexasTerror
July 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Well - us at SHSU know all about that, but at Montana - it's cannons instead of walls.

JSU02
July 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM
It does look kinda goofy since it was built on top of the track, especially since there is still track between the stands and the field. But the building itself does look nice!

Uncle Rico's Clan
July 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM
A lot of opposing teams that visit Washington Grizzly Stadium say the same thing, except their complaint is usually how close the crowd is to the field.

crossfire07
July 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
the building looks like a cell block but someone did a really poor job in its location. it is not like they could not have moved it back 20 feet.it is just stupid for anyone anywhere to build something that close to a field that is outside. I want to see the picture after they hang the padded mats on it. it will be a real beauty. lol

Uncle Buck
July 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
At Maine last year, we lost one of top receivers, Ottis Lewis, for the remainder of the season after he tore tendons in his hand when he ran into a sponsors tent just outside of the endzone while going for a pass.

crossfire07
July 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Things like that should not happen. The NCAA should have gave him another year to play.

Gringer1
July 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I'm shocked that they don't have some sort of buffer requirement. It's a serious hazard to have players sprinting toward a brick wall. I don't care if they put a mat over it, players will still either break off runs to the end zone thus changing the spirit of the game or they'll crash into the wall and hurt themselves.

bkrownd
July 10th, 2009, 10:10 PM
That looks like about the normal amount of room I'm used to seeing behind the endzone.

http://watsoninfo.com/images/ahusstadium.jpg

mtgrizfan4life
July 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM
That looks like about the normal amount of room I'm used to seeing behind the endzone.

http://watsoninfo.com/images/ahusstadium.jpg

Football heaven. Does not get better than Nebraska gamedays. At the BCS level my team is Nebraska. At the FCS level it is Montana. What do they have in common? Great gamedays, great fans, they are "THE SHOW" for the whole state. xthumbsupx xbowx

crossfire07
July 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Nebraska has some pretty classy fans as well. they were very respectful to the Cowboys after the game with a standing ovation. I really use to like watching them on tv during the running years.

Tribe4SF
July 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
W&M has about 7 feet from the endlines to the plywood signs adorning the base of each endzone. The worst collision there was a Richmond player who went under the stands after crashing into the base of the plywood. He was down for about 10 minutes.

Tribe4SF
July 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
In this shot, Caldwell is standing on the end line.

Go...gate
July 11th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Football heaven. Does not get better than Nebraska gamedays. At the BCS level my team is Nebraska. At the FCS level it is Montana. What do they have in common? Great gamedays, great fans, they are "THE SHOW" for the whole state. xthumbsupx xbowx

Right - very much a first class group in terms of support for their team, courtesy to opponents and their fans and sportsmanship.

Jiggs
July 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
the building looks like a cell block but someone did a really poor job in its location. it is not like they could not have moved it back 20 feet.it is just stupid for anyone anywhere to build something that close to a field that is outside. I want to see the picture after they hang the padded mats on it. it will be a real beauty. lol

Who can question someone from Louisiana's knowledge of prisons?xlolx

Hood
July 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Who can question someone from Louisiana's knowledge of prisons?xlolx

Not as much as Sam Houston State and Huntsville relatives :) (I'm playing).

At Nicholls are Endzones have the problem of Fraternity wood signs on one end with bushes behind them, and just bushes on the other side. No real hazards there.

The UNI dome reminds me of a really extravagant AF2 arena.

jmufan999
July 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Nebraska has some pretty classy fans as well. they were very respectful to the Cowboys after the game with a standing ovation. I really use to like watching them on tv during the running years.

not trying to be mr. negative, but pretty much EVERY FBS school's fans are nice to FCS fans when they visit... want to know why? because they know there is very little chance they will lose, so it's a "relaxer" type game. if you visited them wearing an Oklahoma or Texas jersey during one of those games, i don't think they'd be nearly as nice. at least not to the same degree.

89Hen
July 13th, 2009, 10:24 AM
My view from the North End Zone at the Tub.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper781/stills/q6xm7vnv.jpg

89Hen
July 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
not trying to be mr. negative, but pretty much EVERY FBS school's fans are nice to FCS fans when they visit...
You coming up to the JMU/Maryland game this year? xwhistlex

saccat
July 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM

I don't know if the friz are THE SHOW for the whole state...;)

McNeeserocket
July 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM
not trying to be mr. negative, but pretty much EVERY FBS school's fans are nice to FCS fans when they visit... want to know why? because they know there is very little chance they will lose, so it's a "relaxer" type game. if you visited them wearing an Oklahoma or Texas jersey during one of those games, i don't think they'd be nearly as nice. at least not to the same degree.

Nebraska fans are by far the nicest fans (FCS or FBS) to have hosted the Cowboys in the last 9 years for sure. Nebraska fans engaged us in conversation anywhere we went before or after the game. McNeese has played at least 11 FBS teams since 2000 and Nebraska has been the only one to give us a standing ovation. Since 2000, we have played at Miami, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Kansas State, University of North Carolina, Southern Mississippi, Florida International, South Florida, Toledo, ULM and ULL.

I have to say that the least friendly fans (other than ULL which is an historic 60 mile away rival) was Kansas State. Kansas State fans were not ugly, but simply ignored us, like we didn't exist.

SideLine Shooter
July 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM
That is exactly why I like having the track around the field. I know everybody else hates the track, but it gives players and photographers plenty of room.

Uncle Buck
July 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM
My view from the North End Zone at the Tub.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper781/stills/q6xm7vnv.jpg

Nice view, but those field level seats are literally right on top of the action!

Haha, i couldn't resist. xthumbsupx

bkrownd
July 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Nebraska fans are by far the nicest fans (FCS or FBS) to have hosted the Cowboys in the last 9 years for sure.

That's good to hear. Lincoln isn't the small quiet town I left 30 years ago, and I worry that the "nice" will be lost.

It wasn't always that nice. Notre Dame stopped visiting Lincoln in the 20's or 30's because the anti-catholic atmosphere was so ugly. :o

I have to say that the least friendly fans (other than ULL which is an historic 60 mile away rival) was Kansas State. Kansas State fans were not ugly, but simply ignored us, like we didn't exist.

That happens at a lot of schools that have only enjoyed recent success. Lots of bandwagon fans that don't know the ups and downs, and all the hype goes to their heads.

crossfire07
July 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM

I disagree with that statement totally. the last one I visited, the Tar Holes of North Carolina was some of the most obnoxious people I have ever met in my life and it got even worst when they was losing and knew they was not going to "kill an ant with a sledgehammer". o yeah, the fans at ULL was just so great. NOT! I do not know where you get "but pretty much EVERY FBS school's fans are nice to FCS fans when they visit... " but I would like to get some water from that well too!

Uncle Buck
July 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I disagree with that statement totally. the last one I visited, the Tar Holes of North Carolina was some of the most obnoxious people I have ever met in my life and it got even worst when they was losing and knew they was not going to "kill an ant with a sledgehammer". o yeah, the fans at ULL was just so great. NOT! I do not know where you get "but pretty much EVERY FBS school's fans are nice to FCS fans when they visit... " but I would like to get some water from that well too!

In fairness, jmufan999 did say "...because they know there is very little chance they will lose, so it's a "relaxer" type game."

McNeese probably went into the ULL game as the favorite and UNC wasn't a given either! xthumbsupx

UNIFanSince1983
July 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah the UNI-Dome really doesn't have much room either. Both ends are pretty close. The one in the picture was actually new last year, and I was surprised they never put mats over that thing. The other end only got mats after 1992 when in a playoff game against McNeese Kenny Shedd went head first into it, and got a concussion. I guess there really isn't much room on the sidelines either.

crossfire07
July 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM
and to think people actually got paid to design things so stupid. just a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt at one of these places with NO buffer and a lawyer finds a way to hold people that build stuff like that accountable.