View Full Version : FCS Teams That Should Move to FBS

ButlerGSU
July 8th, 2009, 10:23 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...fbs-i-a#page/1

sikolec
July 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Link is messed up.

This one works:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/213942-the-fcs-i-aa-teams-that-should-move-up-fbs-i-a

mcveyrl
July 8th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Grizz fans would also be a huge boost to whatever bowl selected them, draping the entire citie in a hugh of visiting purple.

Ummmm....tee-hee.

Although I agree with all his selections as top candidates.

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Who the heck is this? Looks like Montana's scrimmage squad at a HS stadium. xeyebrowx

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/680/slideshow_68092/display_image.jpg

mlbowl
July 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Who the heck is this? Looks like Montana's scrimmage squad at a HS stadium. xeyebrowx

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/680/slideshow_68092/display_image.jpg

I think that's Southern Utah...but who are the Grizz...sheesh...all the guy had to do was look at the helmet in the pic he postedxbangx

mtgrizfan4life
July 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Have the GRIZ changed their team colors to Purple? Other than mistake, I agree with what was said about the GRIZ.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Ouch! "Southern Alabama"...???

With no offense meant towards the University of Southern Alabama and Texas State, FBS football deserves better.

For every Boise State to move up there have been numerous Florida Internationals that have just cluttered the landscape of college football's premier level.

And no - Mount Union does not play FCS!

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I think that's Southern Utah...but who are the Grizz...sheesh...all the guy had to do was look at the helmet in the pic he postedxbangx
I was saying this doesn't look like your uniforms to me. Plain white jerseys and no stripes on pants either.

mcveyrl
July 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I was saying this doesn't look like your uniforms to me. Plain white jerseys and no stripes on pants either.

Does Montana have a JV squad that would wear uniforms like that? And that would play Southern Utah. And probably beat them. :D

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Does Montana have a JV squad
Could be. I count 92 players, plus the one carrying his book bag out the tunnel. :p

http://filemanager.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz3/landing_pages/files/football/2008_team_photo/Grizzlies-8X10-thumbnail.jpg

CrazyCat
July 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM

My guess is Cal State-Northridge, I don't think the griz ever played at SUU.

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 11:40 AM
You may be on to something and that would be a great pull. Most recent game AT CS-N (or SUU) was 10/14/2000 @ Cal State - Northridge. That makes me feel a LOT better about questioning the Griz unis. Author went back almost 9 years to find a photo of the Griz? Even more amazing is he picks a photo of an away game instead of the rabid fans at Wa-Griz. xpeacex

mlbowl
July 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Even more amazing is he picks a photo of an away game instead of the rabid fans at Wa-Griz. xpeacex

That had me a little puzzled as wellxnodx

chrisattsu
July 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think there is some validity to his argument. The teams mentioned would be a good addition to FBS if they ever decided to move.

I don't know if it is far to compare us with FIU. It is not like we are going to hire Isiah Thomas to be our basketball coach or cut the funding for our cheerleaders and marching band.

poly51
July 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM
From a discussion on the Fresno State Bark Board about Cal Poly moving to the WAC.

Cal Poly joining the WAC would only make sense for Football and only after they complete the next phase of stadium expansion to 22,000. The Big West is a much better fit for all other sports. The furthest travel in the Big West is UC Davis at 300 miles.

What would really make more sense if for the Big West to reinstate Division 1-A football, bring in San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Sac State,Cal State Bakersfield (non football), Nevada, and UNLV. Sac State, UC Davis and Cal Poly would have to move up.

That would be a 16 team conference with 8 1-A football schools. The furthest travel in the conference would be 580 miles.

PaladinFan
July 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Teams if anything should drop down. This move to FBS is an epidemic and it creates a lot of watered down football. Put schools of similar financial capabilities playing one another.

Look, I'm all for schools reaching for the stars or whatever it is that's driving them to move up, but it just doesn't make sense. Take Georgia Southern. University of Georgia football made $44 million dollars last year. That is $8 million more than Georgia Southern's university endowment (according to this 2007 ranking http://www.nacubo.org/Images/All%20Institutions%20Listed%20by%20FY%202007%20Mar ket%20Value%20of%20Endowment%20Assets_2007%20NES.p df)

Those two schools don't have any business playing one another. I guess I follow a small school that has no aspirations of anything greater than the SoCon, but it just doesn't seem to make fiscal sense. History has shown that FAR more programs fail after moving up than succeed.

CrackerRiley
July 8th, 2009, 12:31 PM
...uhhh I think Mount Union should move up to at least FCS before making a leap to FBS. They would be like a high school team to most FBS teams, IMO.

GOKATS
July 8th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I think you probably nailed it. I made the trip down once when the Cats played Northridge and the stadium really was like a small HS caliber. The north end zone had a small set of bleachers and a small beer garden but the other end zone had nothing behind it. Side bleachers were small and the "press box" was a small plywood shack tacked onto the top of the west side bleachers.

BDKJMU
July 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Teams if anything should drop down. This move to FBS is an epidemic and it creates a lot of watered down football. Put schools of similar financial capabilities playing one another.

Look, I'm all for schools reaching for the stars or whatever it is that's driving them to move up, but it just doesn't make sense. Take Georgia Southern. University of Georgia football made $44 million dollars last year. That is $8 million more than Georgia Southern's university endowment (according to this 2007 ranking http://www.nacubo.org/Images/All%20Institutions%20Listed%20by%20FY%202007%20Mar ket%20Value%20of%20Endowment%20Assets_2007%20NES.p df)

Those two schools don't have any business playing one another. I guess I follow a small school that has no aspirations of anything greater than the SoCon, but it just doesn't seem to make fiscal sense. History has shown that FAR more programs fail after moving up than succeed.

Yeah, starting off with the whole Slum Belch conference.

bandit
July 8th, 2009, 01:23 PM
This guy did pick the best 4 in FCS to move up, but the slam against Texas State and - in particular - USA is unwarranted. South Alabama is in position to be very successful.

bandit
July 8th, 2009, 01:26 PM
From a discussion on the Fresno State Bark Board about Cal Poly moving to the WAC.

Cal Poly joining the WAC would only make sense for Football and only after they complete the next phase of stadium expansion to 22,000. The Big West is a much better fit for all other sports. The furthest travel in the Big West is UC Davis at 300 miles.

What would really make more sense if for the Big West to reinstate Division 1-A football, bring in San Diego State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Sac State,Cal State Bakersfield (non football), Nevada, and UNLV. Sac State, UC Davis and Cal Poly would have to move up.

That would be a 16 team conference with 8 1-A football schools. The furthest travel in the conference would be 580 miles.

San Diego State would never leave the MWC for such a league, nor would Fresno, SJSU, Nevada and UNLV leave the WAC. The WAC and MWC already have automatic bids to the NCAA tournament, TV deals, bowl tie-ins, etc. A league starting from scratch would have none of these things.

I do think the WAC is probably keeping a close eye on UC-Davis and Cal Poly, and certainly Montana, and would probably love for 1 or more of those schools to make the move to FBS. I think it will happen eventually.

CollegeSportsInfo
July 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM
San Diego State would never leave the MWC for such a league, nor would Fresno, SJSU, Nevada and UNLV leave the WAC. The WAC and MWC already have automatic bids to the NCAA tournament, TV deals, bowl tie-ins, etc. A league starting from scratch would have none of these things.

I do think the WAC is probably keeping a close eye on UC-Davis and Cal Poly, and certainly Montana, and would probably love for 1 or more of those schools to make the move to FBS. I think it will happen eventually.

Agreed. The idea of having a Big West conference with the below makeup looks great...it's just something that wouldn't ever happen. Meaning, the WAC schools would not go to the Big West unless UC Davis and Cal Poly were already FBS and succeeding as say, independents, along with new programs/revivals like Fullerton.

*San Jose St
*Pacific
*Fresno St
*Sacramento St
*UC Davis
*Cal Poly
Santa Barbara
Cal St. Northridge
*LBSU
UC Irvine
*Fullerton St
UC Riverside

* = football

It's just as easy for Cal Poly, UC Davis, etc to upgrade and join the 9 team WAC which has plenty of room.

McNeese75
July 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM
...uhhh I think Mount Union should move up to at least FCS before making a leap to FBS. They would be like a high school team to most FBS teams, IMO.

The suggestion for Mt Union to move up is just plain silly.

PaladinFan
July 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah, starting off with the whole Slum Belch conference.

I'd like them to. You have so many natural rivalries that would show up again if some of these over-their-head schools would drop back. Montana/Idaho, Troy/Jacksonville State, Marshall/everyone that hates Marshall.

BEAR
July 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I think Texas State should move up. .. the rich alumni..check out that crowd in the background..talk about fan support!

http://football.ugo.com/images/movies/necessary-roughness.jpg

TT was right...they're perfect for the FBS Sun Belt. xthumbsupx

Ronbo
July 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM

That's QB Johnny "Montana" Edwards (#5) and I would guess that's the 2000 team playing at Cal State Northridge. See the palms?

Cobblestone
July 9th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Mt. Union is an interesting choice. From D-III to I-A (FBS)? xeekx Obviously they'd have to do it in steps. I'd be interested to see how they would do at our level. No doubt that Kehres is a tremendous coach and has built a legendary program.

griz8791
July 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I appreciate having the program listed in the article but have to disagree with the writer about beating Idaho being any kind of predictor for success at the next level.

FCS Preview
July 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I think Texas State should move up. .. the rich alumni..check out that crowd in the background..talk about fan support!

http://football.ugo.com/images/movies/necessary-roughness.jpg

TT was right...they're perfect for the FBS Sun Belt. xthumbsupx

and the hottest kicker ever to play college football:

http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/images/w07_necrough_ireland.jpg

I-AA Fan
July 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I know this will just make more people read it, but this is PURE dribble. The biggest waste of a read I have had in a long time. 5 minutes of my life that I can never get back. A DIII school? Are you on drugs? Why not Select Ohio Northern or Wittenburg, they have both beaten MU in the last 2 seasons. In fact, Ohio Northern won the division just 2 years ago. Gee, take a look at all of the players that once wore scarlet & gray and are now wearing purple?

Proud Griz Man
July 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM

I believe that you are correct. I think that is QB Sean Davis, and the Griz lost that day in 1998. Yes, it was at the UC-Northridge stadium.

10/10/1998 @ Cal State - Northridge * * 4:00 PM MT 7-21 (L)
Davis, Sean* 1998, Lakewood, CO

In 2000, the Griz won at Northridge with Drew Miller and John Edwards at QB and that doesn't look like them in the picture.

Cocky
July 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM
and the hottest kicker ever to play college football:

http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/images/w07_necrough_ireland.jpg

This one will give her a run for her money and she really played for the Gamecocks.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0809/best.firsts.in.sports/images/martin.jpg

McNeese75
July 9th, 2009, 10:26 PM
When was she on the squad? Seem like I remember her being there the last game between McNeese and JSU.

Husky Alum
July 10th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I think you probably nailed it. I made the trip down once when the Cats played Northridge and the stadium really was like a small HS caliber. The north end zone had a small set of bleachers and a small beer garden but the other end zone had nothing behind it. Side bleachers were small and the "press box" was a small plywood shack tacked onto the top of the west side bleachers.

Sounds quite Parsons Field-ish to me.

Except for the beer garden - then again, we hve a small set of bleachers and the tailgate section - which for those of you who've tailgated with me before, does qualify as a beer garden.

mrklean
July 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM

HATER!!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx

KiddBrewer
July 15th, 2009, 12:32 AM
mount union to FBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait...what?!

Gringer1
July 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM

I don't guess anyone has any images of the old North Campus Stadium? All evidence of it's existence seems to have slipped away.

Redbird Ray
July 15th, 2009, 08:57 AM
It's pretty agravating how little even esteemed college football writers know about FCS. xmadx