PDA

View Full Version : Best Out of Conference Rivalries?

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
What are your favorite out of conference rivalries for your school? For other schools around the nation?

For Sam Houston State - I would like to see us develop a rivalry with Prairie View A&M, something we missed out on when the storm hit last year and PV bailed out this year.

Over the years, we've played Western Illinois a fair share more than most OOC foes and we'll be starting a four year home-and-home with them. While I do not view this as a rivalry, perhaps some of the older Bearkat fans do...?

BisonNDSU
July 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
NDSU vs. UND is a very heated rivalry....even though it is on a little delay. once it starts up again it is very dirty...passionate....and full of hatred. i've never hated a team more than UND.

JoshUCA
July 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM
UCA hasn't developed any OOC rivalries with FCS teams yet, but I would love for one to develop between us and Missouri State.

WVAPPmountaineer
July 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM
APP State - JMU ----

TheValleyRaider
July 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
SUNY-Ithaca

Ud1Hens
July 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
While the media would like it to be Delaware-Delaware State our true OOC rival we don't even play anymore...Lehigh. This would be a game I'd like back on the schedule, the last game was an '05 overtime thriller.

RichH2
July 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
For Lehigh, it used to be Delaware,since they dropped us it is Nova even tho they stompedus lastyear

Saint3333
July 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Wake during the 80's and 90's.

EKU late 90's early 2000's.

JMU mid 2000.

Montana soon to be.

ASU - JMU makes the most sense.

JBB
July 7th, 2009, 08:18 PM
NDSU vs. UND is a very heated rivalry....even though it is on a little delay. once it starts up again it is very dirty...passionate....and full of hatred. i've never hated a team more than UND.

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Wow!! Thats all the reasons for not playing them. Dont you think a rivalry should be spirited, competitive and played at the highest levels of good sportsmanship and mutual respect?

The worst thing NDSU could do is get involved in that hate fest again. There is nothing positive about it.

NSUDemon98
July 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Northwestern had a good thing going for about 10 years with Southern...but when we took 4 of the last 5 meetings they ended the series after the 2002 season.

FCS competition OUTSIDE of the SLC is pretty remote in the ArkLaTex area and you'd have to go a few states over to find a OOC to get a good rivalry going with, outside of Southern and Grambling.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM
FCS competition OUTSIDE of the SLC is pretty remote in the ArkLaTex area and you'd have to go a few states over to find a OOC to get a good rivalry going with, outside of Southern and Grambling.

I'm hoping that Grambling/NWST, Southern/McNeese, SLU or Nicholls/Alcorn, UCA/UAPB, TxSo/TXST and PV/SHSU become regular fixtures on the schedule.

With the mandate returning, this looks less likely since some of those schools love those FBS games and also have some solid OOC rivalries (FAMU, TennSt, etc.)

Franks Tanks
July 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Penn is the only long standing non-conference rival for Lafayette. Not sure if Penn considers Lafayette a rival, but we have played about 87times.

JoshUCA
July 7th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I don't see UCA/UAPB happening again any time soon! THANKFULLY!

GannonFan
July 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
For Lehigh, it used to be Delaware,since they dropped us it is Nova even tho they stompedus lastyear

Uh, actually, Lehigh asked Delaware to be let out of the series when Lehigh opted to do away with schollies - something about being concerned that they wouldn't be competitive any longer. xthumbsupx

RichH2
July 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Lehigh never had schollies and did not ask to be let out . Delaware would only continue with Lehigh playing at delaware. No home and home for an extended period. Lehigh declined the offer

MR. CHICKEN
July 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Lehigh never had schollies and did not ask to be let out . Delaware would only continue with Lehigh playing at delaware. No home and home for an extended period. Lehigh declined the offer

YOU & TUBBY MAY DISAGREE ON DIS ONE......PELL GRANTS......AH BELIEVE.....AWK!

slycat
July 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Texas State doesn't have any. I don't see Texas Southern turning into one.

My favorite OCC team to play is Cal Poly.

Jaguar79
July 7th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I would love Southern to set something up with Southeastern Louisiana. They are right down the road.

NW State brought nothing TO Southern as that was the only other series worth mentioning. Nicholls is the same way.

I would focus on the Lions and maybe sprinkle McNeese in.

mays1
July 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
This might not be one of the best, who am I to say one way or the other, but hasn't Cal Poly SLO and Montana played an awful late in the past 10 or 12 years?

RichH2
July 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Do you even know what Pell grants are? . back then all aid was need based and mostly loan and work packages, more recent years loans replaced with grants but still need based. I still would like the series to restart. While we might not win many the games would be goodeven if PL does not go merit aid

GannonFan
July 7th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Come on, were you even around in the 80's when all this happened? Delaware never made those demands and the fact that Lehigh was concerned about the future competitiveness of the series was well documented as the reason for Lehigh asking out of the series.

The whole Delaware only wanting to play in Newark didn't happen until sometime late in the 90's after UD and Lehigh tried to restart the series after Lehigh left the annual series (which was a home and home series) in the 80's when the Patriot league began. Hard to find fault with UD's stance in the late 90's when Lehigh abandoned the series more than a decade earlier.

Houndawg
July 8th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Geographically, SIU is located within a couple of hours or less of SEMO, UTMartin, Eastern Illinois and Murray State. Probably none of whom would want to schedule us regularly. UCA is a little farther and would be a good series, but the loser would have his work cut out to make the playoffs.. UNH would make a good rival if we were closer because the teams are similar in a lot of ways recently, and I have in-laws in NH.xnodx

crusader11
July 8th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Probably Harvard for us. Although, I would love to see UMASS or UNH turn into a rivalry game every year.

poly51
July 8th, 2009, 12:41 AM
For Cal Poly the number 1 OOC rival historically would be Fresno State. Though they have not played since 1985 they are still the the most played opponent. 41 Times. Fresno leads 29-10-2. They are also the closest football playing schools to each other.

Fresno State became a Division 1 school in 1972 and Division 1 A in 1978. Cal Poly remained D-II until 1994. From 1972 until 1985 they were 6-6-1 even though the last 5 games were all played in Fresno. The last game played in San Luis Obispo was 1979. Cal Poly 26 Fresno State 0.

The rivalry is being renewed in 2010 and 2013.

The current best Cal Poly rivalry is probably Montana though it is a little one sided. Montana leads the series 12-1. Cal Poly's win was a playoff game in Montana.

mays1
July 8th, 2009, 01:15 AM
For Cal Poly the number 1 OOC rival historically would be Fresno State. Though they have not played since 1985 they are still the the most played opponent. 41 Times. Fresno leads 29-10-2. They are also the closest football playing schools to each other.

Fresno State became a Division 1 school in 1972 and Division 1 A in 1978. Cal Poly remained D-II until 1994. From 1972 until 1985 they were 6-6-1 even though the last 5 games were all played in Fresno. The last game played in San Luis Obispo was 1979. Cal Poly 26 Fresno State 0.

The current best Cal Poly rivalry is probably Montana though it is a little one sided. Montana leads the series 12-1. Cal Poly's win was a playoff game in Montana.

That is what I thought. Didn't know Cal Poly SLO played Fresno State that many times.

Big Dawg
July 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I know we don't play as often anymore, but I will always mention FAMU vs. SU. When these two teams meet, it's always an exciting game...just look at how last years game was.

Redwyn
July 8th, 2009, 01:58 AM
SUNY-Ithaca

HA, I love it so much!

Stony Brook - Hofstra. Took a bit to get that started, but we've obsessed over it and they seem to just be starting to get into it.

Cobblestone
July 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Our rivalry with Brown is still pretty good although not as big as it was decades ago. There is still some heat left though.

DFW HOYA
July 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
No true non-conference rivalries to speak of, which is a little discouraging after what, 120 years?

(I would like to see Georgetown play Villanova, but Villanova is not interested.)

AppHokie
July 8th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Although I am in favor of the recent JMU-App games, one that has not been mentioned is renewing soon - VMI vs. Cit

andy7171
July 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Back in the day Towson was an independant, all games were OOC. In those days I would have to say JMU, far and away, with Liberty and Del State as a 2 and 3.. Now that we have been in the PL and CAA, I guess you could say Morgan State, but that game is a snooze fest. I'd much rather go back to playing Howard or Del State.

zilla
July 8th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Even though the two teams have never played each other on the gridiron, I've always thought that Coastal & The Citadel would have the makings of a pretty decent OOC rivalry. Myrtle Beach is only two hours from Charleston.

Additionally, Coastal played Georgia Southern in '06 & '07 and the series will be renewed again next year. The 2007 game in Conway was a good one.

kdinva
July 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Although I am in favor of the recent JMU-App games, one that has not been mentioned is renewing soon - VMI vs. Cit
You beat me to it!

10/29/2011, it will re-start in Charleston.:)

bobcatalum05
July 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Texas State doesn't have any. I don't see Texas Southern turning into one.

My favorite OCC team to play is Cal Poly.

Agreed. We dont even do a home and home with TxSo. They just come to our house and then the Bobcats give'em a butt whippin'.

813Jag
July 8th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I know we don't play as often anymore, but I will always mention FAMU vs. SU. When these two teams meet, it's always an exciting game...just look at how last years game was.
I agree, that's a game I grew up with. I love that matchup.

aceinthehole
July 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Since reclassifing to I-AA in 1993, CCSU doesn't have one.

We have played Marist 6 times since then, the most of any non-conference FCS team. I'm not a big fan of that series.

We've played Towson 4 times since then and I would love to see us play the Tigers more often.

Our best chance could be Rhode Island. We've only played them twice, but it could be a very good rivalry based on geographic proximity. We should be much more competative with the Rams now.

jmufan999
July 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
APP State - JMU ----

no doubt.... it's JMU - ASU. so, so, so much drama in the last two games. even the one before that was relatively interesting.

i would argue it's one of the most intense OOC rivalries in the country. few things you need to make a rivalry:

1. close proximity is better than not (redskins fans would argue their rivalry with the cowboys is intense, but that's kind of an anomaly [they also play each other twice per year, every year] )
2. very competitive (read: GOOD/talented) teams.... if both teams suck, who cares, besides the fans of each team?
3. not a completely lopsided record favoring one team in the last few years
4. playing "big" games is better than not (one was a playoff game and the other was #1 vs. #3, or whatever we were at the time last year)
5. playing each other at least somewhat regularly

i'd say this rivalry has all 5. and we'll probably play many more times because of how the NCAA chooses playoff teams/sites.

UNIFanSince1983
July 8th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I am not sure UNI really has one. We used to play McNeese quite a bit, but haven't in a long time. Right now I think we are trying to bring back our rivalry with USD as we will have played them two years in a row. This rivalry started, though, when we were conference foes in the ole NCC. Maybe we could consider Drake, but no matter where or when we play them it is a slaughter fest. I kind of consider Iowa State a rival, but they are FBS (although recently they are of the caliber of a FCS team and not a good one).

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
For Lehigh, it used to be Delaware,since they dropped us

Uh, actually, Lehigh asked Delaware to be let out of the series when Lehigh opted to do away with schollies

Lehigh never had schollies and did not ask to be let out .

YOU & TUBBY MAY DISAGREE ON DIS ONE......PELL GRANTS......AH BELIEVE.....AWK!

Do you even know what Pell grants are?

Come on, were you even around in the 80's when all this happened?
I think it's pretty clear who the most hated rival would be. xsmiley_wix

Uncle Buck
July 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I would have to agree with Redwyn. For Hofstra our best out of conference rivalry is probably Stony Brook because of the short distance between both schools and the direction SBU is moving in.

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
BTW, for Delaware it's either Hofstra or UNH. xsmiley_wix

Uncle Buck
July 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
BTW, for Delaware it's either Hofstra or UNH. xsmiley_wix

I would agree with in conference, UD has always been our measuring stick for football. UMass has also been a good last game of the season matchup that i look forward to.

bostonspider
July 8th, 2009, 09:54 AM
For the Spiders I guess it would be the VMI Keydets. UR and VMI have played each other 85 times with and all time record of 40-40-5. Unfortunately it looks like VMI is dropping off the schedule in the near future for a few years.

McNeese75
July 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM
There are none that come to mind for McNeese. There have however been some great games played with Montana and UNI in the past. xnodx

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I would agree with in conference
You missed the xsmiley_wix. I'm hoping somebody gets the relevance of my post.

Dane96
July 8th, 2009, 09:56 AM
For Albany...has to be Stony Brook now that they are no longer in our conference.

They can spend all the money they want...we still smack their mouth in ;)

Uncle Buck
July 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM
You missed the xsmiley_wix. I'm hoping somebody gets the relevance of my post.

Hah, you're right. The wife is working today and i am home policing the rug rats while trying to get my fix of football. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
July 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM
For the Spiders I guess it would be the VMI Keydets. UR and VMI have played each other 85 times with and all time record of 40-40-5. Unfortunately it looks like VMI is dropping off the schedule in the near future for a few years.

The next best thing to quitting while you're ahead is quitting while you're tied. :D

Of recent years, ours has obviously been App. I suspect if we make the playoffs this year that will continue.

But, we also have developed a good rivalry (i.e., we play often) with both VMI and Liberty recently.

MSU_77
July 8th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Although they are FBS, McNeese's biggest OOC rivalry is still with ULL. The only game they've played in the past 20+ years was in 2007, with the Cowboys prevailing 38-17. McNeese's other natural rivalries are with its former SLC foes ULM and LA Tech, who are also FBS. Since none of these schools are likely to ever become FCS, McNeese still needs to develop other OOC rivalries. The two games with Grambling a few years ago were nice. Southern still owes McNeese a return game, which will occur in 2010. The upcoming home-and-home series with App State and Montana may develop into something resembling a true rivalry.

GAD
July 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Although they are FBS, McNeese's biggest OOC rivalry is still with ULL. The only game they've played in the past 20+ years was in 2007, with the Cowboys prevailing 38-17. McNeese's other natural rivalries are with its former SLC foes ULM and LA Tech, who are also FBS. Since none of these schools are likely to ever become FCS, McNeese still needs to develop other OOC rivalries. The two games with Grambling a few years ago were nice. Southern still owes McNeese a return game, which will occur in 2010. The upcoming home-and-home series with App State and Montana may develop into something resembling a true rivalry.
Lamar is coming back

GannonFan
July 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I think it's pretty clear who the most hated rival would be. xsmiley_wix

Yup - it would Temple, no doubt about it. xthumbsupx

eaglewithabus
July 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I would love to see us get something going with McNeese or Montana or JMU or Richmond. Geographically none of them make a ton of sense. But I think it could work if we could get scheduled consistently with any of these teams. The thing is that over the last few years our OOC games have been pretty random, coming up to schedule release, there is no way in hell to guess who we have scheduled as our OOC for the season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Before GSU joined the SoCon, you might say we had rivalries going on with Central Florida, Middle Tennessee State, JMU, and Savannah State. Of course most of these were pretty lopsided...
JMU 7-1
Central Florida 10-1
Middle Tennessee State 7-4
Savannah State 8-0
:D

DrG
July 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Probably Harvard for us. Although, I would love to see UMASS or UNH turn into a rivalry game every year.
Seeing as UMass and HC have played 48 times and the schools are 50 miles apart, I guess this would be the closest to an OOC rivalry game for us. I would be in favor of making this an annual game once again.

andy7171
July 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Now that Towson is playing a FBS game each year, and we are apparently locked in with dumb old Morgan State, means we only have one OOC game. I like the Coastal series, it's new and fresh. I'd love to play Princeton. We could call it the LAX Bowl.

93henfan
July 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yup - it would Temple, no doubt about it. xthumbsupx

Really? I'd almost be embarrassed to play Temple.

Since 1985:

Winless seasons - 2
1-win seasons - 7
2-win seasons - 5
3-win seasons - 1
4-win seasons - 7
More than 4 wins - 2

That's the Temple that most of us under 40 picture.

andy7171
July 8th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I always thought West Chester was your most hated rival.

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM

True, but for those of us just a little older, we remember the games with them fondly. Especially since they would come to Newark. I don't think they'd do that today and IMO that makes that 'rivalry' moot. :)

kdinva
July 8th, 2009, 11:22 AM
We'd love to play UR and The Citadel about every year for OOC games. But, both UR and Citadel are locked into 8 Conf. games, and both also like one 1-A game each season.

We do have a fresh 6-game series with The Citadel for 2011-2017.

We go to UR this Sept., and in Sept. 2011, while UR goes to Lex. in 2012. That is the end of the current 6-game contract. We'll get another 4 or 6-game contract signed soon, I am confident.xthumbsupx

89Hen
July 8th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I always thought West Chester was your AD's most hated rival.
Fixed it for you.

GannonFan
July 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Since 1985:

Winless seasons - 2
1-win seasons - 7
2-win seasons - 5
3-win seasons - 1
4-win seasons - 7
More than 4 wins - 2

True, but for those of us just a little older, we remember the games with them fondly. Especially since they would come to Newark. I don't think they'd do that today and IMO that makes that 'rivalry' moot. :)

Well, I'm still under 40 and I vividly remember the Temple games - they make the nova games today look tame by comparison. Whether playing them at the Vet in Philly or playing them in Newark, it was the rivalry game every year. Shame we had to beat them so many times that they decided it wasn't in their best interest to continue losing to Delaware. xnodx

Redbird Ray
July 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Probably one of the longest running, and most competitive OOC rivalries no one here has mentioned is Illinois State vs. Eastern Illinois. Play em every year, I believe the longest running football rivalry in the state of Illinois. :)

gjw007
July 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx

Wow!! Thats all the reasons for not playing them. Dont you think a rivalry should be spirited, competitive and played at the highest levels of good sportsmanship and mutual respect?

The worst thing NDSU could do is get involved in that hate fest again. There is nothing positive about it.

This is an example of what he (BisonNDSU, post #2) referred to. You will never get a positive on UND out of JBB or LakesBison and of course, NDSU can never do no wrong, after all, it never loses a game right?

Waco Kid
July 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Does anyone else find it interesting that out of all of the different schools represented on this site only a handful of OOC rivalries can be named? Out of the ones named many no longer play each other, don't play every year, or have only occurred in recent years. There are only a handful of long lasting OOC rivals to be found.

I think this is the biggest drawback about the current playoff system and people trying to get 8 wins no matter who they get them against. If SOS were vauled more so than just reaching a certain number I think we could see some really good OOC games that we don't see currently. A lot of my fellow Apps bring up the JMU series, but we have only played 4 times in nearly 20 years. Despite that it is the best OOC rival we have at the moment.

How good would it be to see game like ASU-JMU, Georgia Southern-McNeese, Delaware-Youngstown, Montana-UNI every year? I know there are many other possibilites out there that could all have a big impact on the polls and playoffs. I'm an ASU fan in favor of moving up and the lack of decent OOC games may be the main reason why I'd like to move.

I know the last few years the trend is starting to change for a few teams (us included) but it needs to happen everywhere if FCS football want to get the best teams in the playoffs each year.

93henfan
July 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I really like the Delaware-Navy series. Very competitive at 7-7 all-time. It's an easy drive, nice stadium, etc. The only drawback is the Navy habit of going at people's knees to compensate for their smaller size. They really hobbled us in '07. Other than that and the fact they stopped coming up to Newark, it's a lot of fun.

MSU_77
July 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Lamar is coming back

Yes, but they will be a conference rival. Even back when Lamar played football in the SLC, they were never much of a rival although the two schools are less than 60 miles apart. The real rivalry was 80 miles to the east with ULL, then known as USL.

bostonspider
July 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM
The next best thing to quitting while you're ahead is quitting while you're tied. :D

Thankfully we get to play them this year before the hiatus, so hopefully we can pull ahead in the rivaly for the first time since the inception of the series. We started the series in 1893 with them, and promptly went 1-12-1 in the first 14 games. UR and VMI played some what sporadically from 1893 until 1926 when they started playing every year until 1989, from there it has been a usual if not always annual game. UR and VMI did not play in 1990 and 2000- 2002. VMI spanked UR for much of the first 70 years of the rivalry going 33-12-5 up till 1966, but since 1967, UR has gone 28-7 versus the Keydets.

bostonspider
July 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM
We'd love to play UR and The Citadel about every year for OOC games. But, both UR and Citadel are locked into 8 Conf. games, and both also like one 1-A game each season.

We do have a fresh 6-game series with The Citadel for 2011-2017.

We go to UR this Sept., and in Sept. 2011, while UR goes to Lex. in 2012. That is the end of the current 6-game contract. We'll get another 4 or 6-game contract signed soon, I am confident.xthumbsupx

I hope the series does pick up again after the 2012 game. For UR, we tend to like to play one FBS game every year, which leaves us two FCS OOC games. I see no reason why one could not be VMI every year. The other can rotate between Elon, Furman, Wofford or other southern schools. Recently we have been playing a PL team every year, with Georgetown this year and last, and home and homes with Lafayette and Bucknell in the recent past. But with the departure of our PL loving former president, it seems we are looking more to the south again, with games against CCU and Elon scheduled for 2010.

bkrownd
July 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Seeing as UMass and HC have played 48 times and the schools are 50 miles apart, I guess this would be the closest to an OOC rivalry game for us. I would be in favor of making this an annual game once again.

I never saw any 'rivalry' quality in that one.

Boston College games were a big deal way back. I'd prefer a Harvard series. Going out of state would probably greatly reduced student interest, except Syracuse would have possibilities. The lacrosse series with Syracuse has always been a big David-Goliath game for UMass, and a football series would be similar if SU ever gets their act together again. These days Syracuse deserves to go on the road to places like McGuirk.

Amherst College used to be the real OOC rival. ;)

AggieFinn
July 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I hope we get one going with Montana...but the Big Sky's Sac State will always be there.

MSUBear42
July 8th, 2009, 03:38 PM
UCA hasn't developed any OOC rivalries with FCS teams yet, but I would love for one to develop between us and Missouri State.

And we would like to have you as a football rival ;)

JagHammer
July 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Southern vs. FAMU.
Jackson State vs. Tennessee State
xthumbsupx

catbob
July 8th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Umm...

We coulda had a good one going with NDSU but we back out on our home and home, which was a real shame. We played Cal Poly a whole bunch in the Kramer days but they whooped us so many times I wouldn't call it a rivalry haha.

Maybe we can get one going with Dixie State... :P

Redwyn
July 8th, 2009, 05:09 PM
For Albany...has to be Stony Brook now that they are no longer in our conference.

They can spend all the money they want...we still smack their mouth in ;)

Any word of when we'll play again?

SIUallDay
July 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
S.E.M.O. : Rivalry is there, even though the last few games have been very lopsided in the past few meetings. Last played in 2005 but they are on the schedule this year again for a game in Cape Girardeau.

Eastern Illinois: They have only met in the playoffs the last few times. I would like to see them on the OOC Schedule in the future.

Northern Illinois: I think it's that "North vs. South" thing....I sometimes wonder why this isn't an annual bragging rights game

carney2
July 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
A true rivalry has to have history, intensity and current significance. Oh yeah, it has to be viewed as a rivalry by both sides. I'm not seeing much of this in these posts.

SU Jag
July 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
1. Tennessee State vs Florida A&M (The Atlanta Football Classic)
2. Jackson State vs Tennessee State (The Southern Heritage Classic)
3. Southern vs Florida A&M
4. Tennessee State vs Alabama A&M
5. Southern vs Tennessee State
6. Alabama State vs Tuskegee (Turkey Day Classic)

darell1976
July 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM

And us Sioux fans hate the Bison too. I agree we must have the most heated rivalry when we were in D2. It was long and every game was intense. When and not if it starts up it will be the same especially if UND gets into the same conference as NDSU.

RichH2
July 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
89Hen,

Yup , pretty self rxplanatory (lol)

Gannon, unfortunately I go back to the Middle 5 when I played for LU vs. Delaware every year. Rivalry was great then it would be great again. I graduated LU late60s and was an eyewitness as it were to a fair portion of the rivalry and itsdemise

JBB
July 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM
And us Sioux fans hate the Bison too. I agree we must have the most heated rivalry when we were in D2. It was long and every game was intense. When and not if it starts up it will be the same especially if UND gets into the same conference as NDSU.

Yea, if you pass enough laws maybe or hound enough folks behind the scenes your dream or relevancy may come true. For me and a lot like me it was a hate fest not worth revisiting. You guys are on the shelf with Fargo College. NDSU doesnt need an in-state rival to capture the media and get the fan attention in North Dakota.

Far more interesting is the chance to resume with Montana State. Two Mighty State Universities playing for State bragging rights. That game means something to both the states of North Dakota and Montana. I dont know if it would be as big as the Border Battle but it would be a lot of fun.

Rumor in BISONSports is the home/home is on and Montana State never bought out their half. Have you MSU fans heard anything about that?

Proud Griz Man
July 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM

The 12-1 record is a little lopsided, but the recent games were extremely competitive.
Ellerson's Mustangs played really Good football. Good fans, good stadiums, good towns, etc. I am interested to see how Walsh runs his program, and adds to Ellerson's built-up CP program.

LUHawker
July 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Let's get Lehigh and Delaware together again. While its nice that we've picked up Nova to start another series, I'm not sure the VU folks care enough for it ever to be a rivalry. Lehigh and UD have lots of history, some trash-talking (by Tubby mind you- or at least that's what I've been told) and good fan interest. I bet Lehigh would do a 2 for 1, but no way should we do a series without some home component. Besides, South Mountain isn't too far for the Hen faithful and it is a great venue.

ngineer
July 8th, 2009, 10:18 PM
A true rivalry has to have history, intensity and current significance. Oh yeah, it has to be viewed as a rivalry by both sides. I'm not seeing much of this in these posts.

Agreed. The Lehigh-Delaware series was great from 1970-1999, but each programs' need no longer matched up. There was the history and intensity. UD insisted that it's future games with us be at UD. The UD game at Lehigh was usually the second biggest crowd of the year for Lehigh, next to Lafayette. We did make a singleton appearance at UD in 2005 that was, again, a great intense game that was won by the Hens in Overtime, 34-33. Crowd was also great. Would certainly be nice to renew the series when our series with Villanova ends in 2010, but I see little chance of that happening.xsmhx

ngineer
July 8th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Other than Delaware, our series with Harvard and Princeton have become pretty good, but the history is not as deep as with the Hens. But over the past 10 years we've played both schools frequently with the games being pretty entertaining and hard fought.

RichH2
July 8th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Nova is getting there, but Ido harken back to the 60s with the Blue Hens as the one that beat the cr*p out of us every yr but when we won it was very sweet

AppMan
July 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Does anyone else find it interesting that out of all of the different schools represented on this site only a handful of OOC rivalries can be named? Out of the ones named many no longer play each other, don't play every year, or have only occurred in recent years. There are only a handful of long lasting OOC rivals to be found.

I think this is the biggest drawback about the current playoff system and people trying to get 8 wins no matter who they get them against. If SOS were vauled more so than just reaching a certain number I think we could see some really good OOC games that we don't see currently. A lot of my fellow Apps bring up the JMU series, but we have only played 4 times in nearly 20 years. Despite that it is the best OOC rival we have at the moment.

How good would it be to see game like ASU-JMU, Georgia Southern-McNeese, Delaware-Youngstown, Montana-UNI every year? I know there are many other possibilites out there that could all have a big impact on the polls and playoffs. I'm an ASU fan in favor of moving up and the lack of decent OOC games may be the main reason why I'd like to move.

I know the last few years the trend is starting to change for a few teams (us included) but it needs to happen everywhere if FCS football want to get the best teams in the playoffs each year.

These intersectional rivalry games are typical in FBS, but they aren't scheduling 8 wins to qualify for a playoff and strength of schedule has an impact on bowl match ups. It is refreshing to see the AD's at JMU, Montana, McNeese, and ASU have stepped up to the plate to scheduled games which are appealing to fans and not just filling the slate with W's. For the FCS is to be taken seriously the remaining FCS schools need to follow their lead.

GaSouthern
July 9th, 2009, 08:00 AM

I remember when you guys came down to Statesboro and (excuse my spelling) I was a TON of Souix SUCK shirts. Got a pretty good laugh out of it. I was very impressed with your fans, seemed classy and knowledgeable.

I-AA Fan
July 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
APP State - JMU ----

What rivalry?

Husky Alum
July 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Not sure NU has one, to be honest.

We were an Indy until 1993, so our "Rivals" are now our conference mates. Even back then we rarely played BU or Harvard.

I'd love to say Harvard or Holy Cross, but playing so infrequently makes that point moot.

Even if we were to play Harvard and HC on a more regular basis, we wouldn't be "the" rivalry game for either school.

Heck, we don't even play in a "Trophy" game after the Canine Classic with Boston U went away.

GannonFan
July 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Agreed. The Lehigh-Delaware series was great from 1970-1999, but each programs' need no longer matched up. There was the history and intensity. UD insisted that it's future games with us be at UD. The UD game at Lehigh was usually the second biggest crowd of the year for Lehigh, next to Lafayette. We did make a singleton appearance at UD in 2005 that was, again, a great intense game that was won by the Hens in Overtime, 34-33. Crowd was also great. Would certainly be nice to renew the series when our series with Villanova ends in 2010, but I see little chance of that happening.xsmhx

Like I said, Lehigh let that cat out of the bag by dropping Delaware in the 80's when they didn't mind playing home and homes and went to Bethlehem every other year. By the time Lehigh realized they could be in the Patriot League and still match up on the field against a UD, UD had moved on and could afford to take the admittedly hard-nosed position to insist on all games in Newark. I don't know if UD would've been that insistent with a rival that had a continual series going back as long as UD and Lehigh would've had had the series not been dropped. Unfortunately, we'll never find out.

jstate83
July 9th, 2009, 11:09 AM
JSU have played Tennessee State for generations.
The series took a 13 year break after the 1962 game which we won 36-6 and then went on to beat our other OOC rival FAMU 22-6 in the Orange Blossom Classic.

Since 1975, the Tennessee State game has been played every year the second game of the season. xnodx
This year will mark the 29th year of continuous play.xthumbsupx

We have not played FAMU on a consistant basis in so long, (last time a 28-14 loss in 2003), I don't even think the student's today would even understand what that game would mean if we played them again. xlolx

WileECoyote06
July 9th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Until we get in a conference:

NCCU vs NC A & T; fights, intense games, yet still great sportsmanship and fellowship. In North Carolina the only more intense/electric OOC rivalry is NCSU vs ECU.

wapiti
July 9th, 2009, 11:42 AM

can one team have a rivalry with a whole confrence?
If so, I would say Cal Poly vs the Big Sky.
It is probably due to geography and travel distances, but Cal Poly seems to play at least one Big Sky team every year, if not two or three.

89Hen
July 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I bet Lehigh would do a 2 for 1, but no way should we do a series without some home component. Besides, South Mountain isn't too far for the Hen faithful and it is a great venue.
I'd definitely be up for that. I still have 90% of my extended family in the LV and would love to come up every three years. xthumbsupx

I do wonder if some of the edge of the rivalry would be lost for a while. With Tubby gone and probably some of the reporters at the Call gone, it may not be the same.

GSUhooligan
July 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Georgia Southern- Savannah State.

poly51
July 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM
can one team have a rivalry with a whole confrence?
If so, I would say Cal Poly vs the Big Sky.
It is probably due to geography and travel distances, but Cal Poly seems to play at least one Big Sky team every year, if not two or three.

Cal Poly has a lot of History with the Big Sky teams.

Cal Poly's record against some current and former Big Sky Schools
Boise State 3-12-1
Eastern Washington 2-1
Idaho State 11-6
Montana 1-12, 1-AA playoffs 1-0
Montana State 9-4
Nevada 3-6
Northern Arizona 0-8
Northern Colorado 7-2
Portland State 9-9
Sacramento State 15-15
Weber State 3-4, 1-AA playoffs 0-1

Overall 62-79-1

Most of these games were played when Cal Poly was still D-II. Some when both teams were D-II. Many of these games were before the opponent was Big Sky.

Since Cal Poly moved to 1-AA they are 25-32 with the Big Sky. 14-5 in the last 19 games.
Cal Poly played 6 games against the Big Sky in 2005 and went 5-1. Last year they were 1-2.

In 1980 Boise State was the Big Sky and 1-AA National Champion. Cal Poly was the D-II National Champion. Cal Poly beat Boise State in 1980 23-21.

darell1976
July 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Yea, if you pass enough laws maybe or hound enough folks behind the scenes your dream or relevancy may come true. For me and a lot like me it was a hate fest not worth revisiting. You guys are on the shelf with Fargo College. NDSU doesnt need an in-state rival to capture the media and get the fan attention in North Dakota.

Far more interesting is the chance to resume with Montana State. Two Mighty State Universities playing for State bragging rights. That game means something to both the states of North Dakota and Montana. I dont know if it would be as big as the Border Battle but it would be a lot of fun.

Rumor in BISONSports is the home/home is on and Montana State never bought out their half. Have you MSU fans heard anything about that?

OMG!!!! You never made me laugh so hard as i did reading this post.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx You think NDSU is never going to renew its in-state rivalry but instead resume its rival with Montana State???? I have never seen a NDSU-Montana State game on tv across the state of ND, i have only seen UND-NDSU every year in D2. 2012 is coming and so is the rivalry better get ready JBB reality is coming!!!!

catbob
July 9th, 2009, 01:04 PM
NDSU UND would be sweet, I'd love to attend one of those.

But more selfishly I want a NDSU MSU rivalry. Just a nature rival, would work well.

TheBisonator
July 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM

But more selfishly I want a NDSU MSU rivalry. Just a nature rival, would work well.

NDSU vs UND is worse than Americans vs Soviets circa 1945-1991. It's more like the Battle of Matter vs Antimatter from 13,700,000,000 BC. I make the rounds around different college football messageboards, and I know for a fact that there is no rivalry in which so much gutteral hatred exists between two fan bases like NDSU/UND. South Carolina/Clemson I think has a lot of the same feelings involved, but Bison/Name To Be Established Later is the worst in the country.

Appfan_in_CAAland
July 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
For App:
1 - Wake Forest, their coaches admit their too chicken to play us any more, but overall its clearly the best.
2 - JMU - only for the last three years, but it would be great to see it continued and grow
3 - UNC Chapel Hill - even though they've only played once, in 1940 - I'd say the Tar Holes seem to be the most hated team among Appfans.

RabidRabbit
July 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Rabbits and Coyotes - nearly 100 games playedxeekxxeekx

Always tough games, and records/rankings can get tossed out (rather than rabbit and coyote carcasses :p ) when these two play.

TheBisonator
July 9th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Rabbits and Coyotes - nearly 100 games playedxeekxxeekx

Always tough games, and records/rankings can get tossed out (rather than rabbit and coyote carcasses :p ) when these two play.

USD/SDSU can get nasty, but it's child's play compared to the hatred between NDSU/UND.

GaSouthern
July 9th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Georgia Southern- Savannah State.

that is a slaughter, not a rival.

RichH2
July 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I dont know whether it would be the same for under 40 fans but for the rest of us it would be great. The young'uns woluld pick up on it quick enuf, methinks

WileECoyote06
July 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
NDSU vs UND is worse than Americans vs Soviets circa 1945-1991. It's more like the Battle of Matter vs Antimatter from 13,700,000,000 BC. I make the rounds around different college football messageboards, and in my opinion there is no rivalry in which so much gutteral hatred exists between two fan bases like NDSU/UND. South Carolina/Clemson I think has a lot of the same feelings involved, but Bison/Name To Be Established Later is the worst in the country.

Fixed that for you.

Eaglesrus
July 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
One that doesn't exist yet but could be huge a few years down the road (if neither changes classifications): GA Southern - GA State

RabidRabbit
July 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM
USD/SDSU can get nasty, but it's child's play compared to the hatred between NDSU/UND.

Agreed. But at least your mascots are such that frozen carcasses of mascots will never be tossed out from the stands. xsmiley_wix

ngineer
July 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'd definitely be up for that. I still have 90% of my extended family in the LV and would love to come up every three years. xthumbsupx

I do wonder if some of the edge of the rivalry would be lost for a while. With Tubby gone and probably some of the reporters at the Call gone, it may not be the same.

I agree. I bet Lehigh would be willing to do a 2 for 1 ratio on home and away to get that series back. We like to say "Tradition never graduates".....;)

da_bears
July 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Missouri State and SEMO seem to play every year.

MSU leads the series 45-28

JBB
July 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Now your talking. The last time we played it was state wide tv. I recorded it. Im still curious about the home/home. We have reports it is still on.

As for the hate fest that delights UND fans like Darrel so much:

Its too bad UND shot itself in the foot and lost its pride. UND might be able to whine a game or two here and there, who knows? They dont have the money to pay a guarantee so if we need them I guess they will come to Fargo. Either way they can hardly wait for the return to relevancy. A game in Fargo might help put them on the map but with the glorified D2 team and coach they have now its doubtful, but dont forget they are sporting 1 FCS win so far!!!

I hear we were offering bus fare, a light lunch and full use of the locker rooms at Shepard Arena. It will be a nice warm up walk to the FFD for the UND players and what a thrill for them to be in the FFD and back on TV! PS. leave the Nickel and nickname at home.

darell1976
July 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Now your talking. The last time we played it was state wide tv. I recorded it. Im still curious about the home/home. We have reports it is still on.

As for the hate fest that delights UND fans like Darrel so much:

Its too bad UND shot itself in the foot and lost its pride. UND might be able to whine a game or two here and there, who knows? They dont have the money to pay a guarantee so if we need them I guess they will come to Fargo. Either way they can hardly wait for the return to relevancy. A game in Fargo might help put them on the map but with the glorified D2 team and coach they have now its doubtful, but dont forget they are sporting 1 FCS win so far!!!
I hear we were offering bus fare, a light lunch and full use of the locker rooms at Shepard Arena. It will be a nice warm up walk to the FFD for the UND players and what a thrill for them to be in the FFD and back on TV! PS. leave the Nickel and nickname at home.

First of all i think we were on the map before you... Does 7 national titles in hockey ring a bell. We are known throughout the college hockey world and there are a lot of FBS and FCS teams that play UND in hockey and i am sure we could get a deal with them in football or another sport. #2. 1 FCS win is all you keep saying we are in our second year in the FCS, and #3 I think NDSU needs us as bad we need NDSU.

Husky Alum
July 9th, 2009, 07:12 PM
We are known throughout the college hockey world and there are a lot of FBS and FCS teams that play UND in hockey and i am sure we could get a deal with them in football or another sport.

Easier said than done, my friend.

Unless you're Boston College, Notre Dame or Michigan, the "we're a real good hockey team, let's leverage that for football (or other sporting) games" line hasn't worked for schools like UNH and Maine in years.

Do you think Northeastern would play a home/home with UND to get you to come to Boston to play us in hockey?

No way.

It costs $75K to fly a football team to Fargo (Not sure what it costs to UND, but it's likely not that much of a difference).

In Hockey East a school like NU only gets about 8 OOC games, 2 of which are in the Beanpot, so that gives us 6.

We don't need a game with UND in hockey. If you're coming to Boston, we all know you're playing BU or BC, so why even make a comment like that which has ZERO merit.

Show me the last time a hockey school got a football game with someone because of hockey.

We can play CCSU or Albany or SBU or SHU in OOC football, and lord knows we can get OOC's in hockey without flying across the Mississippi.

darell1976
July 10th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Easier said than done, my friend.

Unless you're Boston College, Notre Dame or Michigan, the "we're a real good hockey team, let's leverage that for football (or other sporting) games" line hasn't worked for schools like UNH and Maine in years.

Do you think Northeastern would play a home/home with UND to get you to come to Boston to play us in hockey?

No way.

It costs $75K to fly a football team to Fargo (Not sure what it costs to UND, but it's likely not that much of a difference).

In Hockey East a school like NU only gets about 8 OOC games, 2 of which are in the Beanpot, so that gives us 6.

We don't need a game with UND in hockey. If you're coming to Boston, we all know you're playing BU or BC, so why even make a comment like that which has ZERO merit.

Show me the last time a hockey school got a football game with someone because of hockey.

We can play CCSU or Albany or SBU or SHU in OOC football, and lord knows we can get OOC's in hockey without flying across the Mississippi.

I am just saying UND was on the map before NDSU were. And UND plays Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, UNH, in hockey why wouldn't they have leverage to schedule a football or basketball game. Where JBB thinks UND is a bunch of nobodys that the school is unheardof, and no one would schedule us but instead schedule NDSU.

Husky Alum
July 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I am just saying UND was on the map before NDSU were. And UND plays Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, UNH, in hockey why wouldn't they have leverage to schedule a football or basketball game. Where JBB thinks UND is a bunch of nobodys that the school is unheardof, and no one would schedule us but instead schedule NDSU.

UND would have to get bought by Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State - that's not really "leverage" - that's called prostituting yourself like the rest of FCS football for a paycheck.

You HAVE to play Wisconsin and Minnesota, they're in your league.

Now maybe you have "leverage" with Michigan and MSU if they want to play you in hockey, but if you say "play us in football or we won't play you in hockey", there are other teams they can play in both sports rather easily, and unless they "need" the PWR for hockey and can't get it elsewhere, there is no leverage.

darell1976
July 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
UND would have to get bought by Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State - that's not really "leverage" - that's called prostituting yourself like the rest of FCS football for a paycheck.

You HAVE to play Wisconsin and Minnesota, they're in your league.

Now maybe you have "leverage" with Michigan and MSU if they want to play you in hockey, but if you say "play us in football or we won't play you in hockey", there are other teams they can play in both sports rather easily, and unless they "need" the PWR for hockey and can't get it elsewhere, there is no leverage.

But don't you think UND have leverage over NDSU? Since we already play a lot of FBS and FCS teams in hockey we could have a more pick of teams? Thats what i am trying to say, i am not saying play us in football or we won't play you in hockey. JBB was saying UND is a nobody when it comes to the FBS-FCS world but i was making a point that we are somebody since we play these teams in hockey we could possibly play them in other sports. It would be nice to travel to the east coast to play some of the Ivy league teams or Northeastern, UNH or Maine, of course $$$ has a lot to do with it. Minnesota won't play us due to the nickname issue but since I do see our nickname going in the fall they may schedule us. At least we are playing different teams in the FBS like Texas Tech, Fresno St. and Idaho, its the FCS teams our AD needs to start making deals with.

houtexan
July 10th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'm hoping for a new ooc with Georgia State. Heard there is already a scheduled home/home series in the same year 2010 and they're on the schedule for 2012.

NDSUDude
July 10th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Well I knew it end up like this "Well we have hockey and we're awsome at hockey". When ever you start a discussion with a UND guy it always boils down to hockey. I DON'T CARE. NDSU has had 8 football National Championships. We made it to the NCAA turnament in Basketball in our first year of elgibility. We play big FBS schools in football and basketball. We beat big schools in Basketball and football(or at least give them the fight of their life. I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT HOCKEY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udygefkLvjU&feature=related

darell1976
July 10th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Well I knew it end up like this "Well we have hockey and we're awsome at hockey". When ever you start a discussion with a UND guy it always boils down to hockey. I DON'T CARE. NDSU has had 8 football National Championships. We made it to the NCAA turnament in Basketball in our first year of elgibility. We play big FBS schools in football and basketball. We beat big schools in Basketball and football(or at least give them the fight of their life. I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT HOCKEY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udygefkLvjU&feature=related

Then you missed JBB's quote about UND not on the map and our 1 FCS win puts us beneath the Football world. As for your 8 football National Championships...um we have 7 D1 championships...how many does NDSU have?? Just because NDSU fans are jealous we have hockey and you have hockey in your dreams.

BisonNDSU
July 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Then you missed JBB's quote about UND not on the map and our 1 FCS win puts us beneath the Football world. As for your 8 football National Championships...um we have 7 D1 championships...how many does NDSU have?? Just because NDSU fans are jealous we have hockey and you have hockey in your dreams.

LMAO HAHAHA TYPICAL UND FAN. "OH WE HAVE HOCKEY" HAHA it amazes me how that always gets brought up. NOBODY cares about ncaa hockey....except grand forks....myself not included!!!

whats that smell? ......siouxage

darell1976
July 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
LMAO HAHAHA TYPICAL UND FAN. "OH WE HAVE HOCKEY" HAHA it amazes me how that always gets brought up. NOBODY cares about ncaa hockey....except grand forks....myself not included!!!

whats that smell? ......siouxage

Answer this BisonNDSU....we have 7 D1 national titles....how many do you have??xlolx

coover
July 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
That is what I thought. Didn't know Cal Poly SLO played Fresno State that many times.

The two schools are about 125 miles apart and both played in the California Collegiate Athletic Association until Fresno left in 1972 to go to Division I. The rivalry was intense. Fresno students used to drive to San Luis Obispo and do such things as cover up a portion of the large "P" on the hill behind Poly to make it look like an "F". And anyone caught wearing the color red in the Cal Poly rooting section at ANY game, not just the Fresno game, was passed up from the bottom of the stands to the top and "forced" to remove the offending garment (to be replaced with one properly colored green and gold, of course).

Obviously, Poly students would traditionally make the trip to Fresno to make Cal Poly more "visible" on the Fresno campus. I've often wondered why the good folks from Fresno hate the color green. Our students really tried to brighten their dreary campus with this paint, but they always seemed to remove it.

NDSUDude
July 10th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Maybe if UND didn't put all its money into hockey they would have a respectable football and basketball program. But thats fine if thats al you care about. (That is sure what it seems like at least, what is the average attendance to a Siouxage football game about 7,000, or maybe 800 at a basket ball game) Fargo is football country take your **** up to Grand Forks.

jmufan999
July 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
For App:
1 - Wake Forest, their coaches admit their too chicken to play us any more, but overall its clearly the best.
2 - JMU - only for the last three years, but it would be great to see it continued and grow
3 - UNC Chapel Hill - even though they've only played once, in 1940 - I'd say the Tar Holes seem to be the most hated team among Appfans.

as i stated in my earlier post, i'm pretty sure you actually have to PLAY the team for it to be a rivalry. and the other team would need to consider you a rival back. ask Wake and Tarheels fans who their rivals are and see if they say App State. it is cute how you picked 2 FBS teams as rivals, though. very subtle.

darell1976
July 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Maybe if UND didn't put all its money into hockey they would have a respectable football and basketball program. But thats fine if thats al you care about. (That is sure what it seems like at least, what is the average attendance to a Siouxage football game about 7,000, or maybe 800 at a basket ball game) Fargo is football country take your **** up to Grand Forks.

UND is now in its second year of transition, what is your definition of respectable because your football team choked last year and men's basketball is all you have to brag about. UND won 7 D1 titles in hockey, and has not completed its transition period to be eligible for playoffs in basketball or football. As for attendance in football it was 10,167 which puts us 29th in the FCS just ahead of Sam Houston St (higher than 7,000). In men's basketball we averaged 1,623(higher than 800). NDSU had 3,596 but we were an independant and still in transition. Couldn't find the numbers on women's basketball but were second in the country in hockey with 11,718.

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Southern vs. FAMU.
Jackson State vs. Tennessee State
xthumbsupx

You can add Southern vs Tenn State and Famu vs Tenn State also. xthumbsupx

But the top OC game has to be SU vs FAMU pure hatred

SDFS
July 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Since UND is new to FCS we have not established our FCS rivalries. But, I think that Montana St, Montana, UNC, UNI, SDSU and NDSU all have potential. UNI seems to have UND's number historically. I remember talk of a home and home potential as part of the 2006 game. Anyone know of an update or status of those talks?

Previous History:

Montana St. 13 - 14 -1
Montana 7 - 10 -1
UNC 11 - 12
UNI 14 - 25
SDSU 46 - 32 - 5
NDSU 62 - 45 - 3

AppStsGr8
July 10th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm looking forward to the McNeese - Montana - App triad in the coming years. The only problem is that most long lived rivalries require closer proximity than those three schools. That's what makes the App - JMU rivalry a potential longer lasting one.

NDSUDude
July 11th, 2009, 01:25 AM
UND is now in its second year of transition, what is your definition of respectable because your football team choked last year and men's basketball is all you have to brag about. UND won 7 D1 titles in hockey, and has not completed its transition period to be eligible for playoffs in basketball or football. As for attendance in football it was 10,167 which puts us 29th in the FCS just ahead of Sam Houston St (higher than 7,000). In men's basketball we averaged 1,623(higher than 800). NDSU had 3,596 but we were an independant and still in transition. Couldn't find the numbers on women's basketball but were second in the country in hockey with 11,718.

Once again I will say I don't care about hockey. And if that wasn't clear maybe this will help I DON'T CARE ABOUT HOCKEY!!! You can't say one positive thing without bringing up hockey. I thinks you guys just like to talk about a sport we can't say we are better than you in BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE HOCKEY AT NDSU. I could go one all day about how great of a wrestling program NDSU has but it would be pointless because UND doesn't have a wrestling program.

darell1976
July 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Once again I will say I don't care about hockey. And if that wasn't clear maybe this will help I DON'T CARE ABOUT HOCKEY!!! You can't say one positive thing without bringing up hockey. I thinks you guys just like to talk about a sport we can't say we are better than you in BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE HOCKEY AT NDSU. I could go one all day about how great of a wrestling program NDSU has but it would be pointless because UND doesn't have a wrestling program.

God i love to piss off a Bison fan.xlolxxlolxxlolx

Thundar
July 11th, 2009, 08:08 AM
God i love to piss off a Bison fan.xlolxxlolxxlolx

Didn't know this is what the thread was about???xnonono2xxnonono2x Both you and NDSUdude need to give it a restxcoffeex

but for the topic IMO we have only played Minnesota twice but they were heated battles thats my vote in the FCS NDSU era m even though its not really a "rivalry"

gjw007
July 11th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Didn't know this is what the thread was about???xnonono2xxnonono2x Both you and NDSUdude need to give it a restxcoffeex

Amen to that.

Cat79
July 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Yes, but they will be a conference rival. Even back when Lamar played football in the SLC, they were never much of a rival although the two schools are less than 60 miles apart. The real rivalry was 80 miles to the east with ULL, then known as USL.

Lately your rival is Texas State. No other team has beaten you in Lake Charles like the Bobcats. That spells rival to me.:D

JBB
July 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Dont put words in my mouth. I didnt say UND was a bunch of nobodies, you said that. I said a game with NDSU would put you on the map.

NDSU is the premier college athletic program in North Dakota with almost twice the attendance of UND (3 times if you talk paid attendance), far more basketball publicity and auto bid conferences in all sports.

Involvement with UND is something NDSU doesnt need. Its not NDSU trying to pass laws and pressuring UND for games.

If UND feels they need to strike up a game with NDSU why dont they put up the money and shut up? Otherwise give it a rest Darrel. Focus on something that is possible for UND like a second FCS win.

For my money I like the idea of Montana State. I would also add the Gophers. The Gopher games were the biggest NDSU has ever played and for a BISON fan the most exciting in NDSUs long tradition.

NDSUDude
July 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
NDSU is actually scheduled to play the Gophers in 2011 in their new stadium. I can't wait to fill that thing up with another 30,000 green and gold xthumbsupx

darell1976
July 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Dont put words in my mouth. I didnt say UND was a bunch of nobodies, you said that. I said a game with NDSU would put you on the map.

NDSU is the premier college athletic program in North Dakota with almost twice the attendance of UND (3 times if you talk paid attendance), far more basketball publicity and auto bid conferences in all sports.

Involvement with UND is something NDSU doesnt need. Its not NDSU trying to pass laws and pressuring UND for games.

If UND feels they need to strike up a game with NDSU why dont they put up the money and shut up? Otherwise give it a rest Darrel. Focus on something that is possible for UND like a second FCS win.

For my money I like the idea of Montana State. I would also add the Gophers. The Gopher games were the biggest NDSU has ever played and for a BISON fan the most exciting in NDSUs long tradition.

Maybe its best you and NDSU skip UND and play Montana State we all know what happened the last time NDSU played UND and we have the Nickel Trophy to remind us!!xlolx Good luck this season if you can make it over the .500 mark.

da_bears
July 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM
NDSU is actually scheduled to play the Gophers in 2011 in their new stadium. I can't wait to fill that thing up with another 30,000 green and gold xthumbsupx

being that their season tickets are sold out for the new stadium from what I read I doubt there will be 30,000 seats available for your fans.

SDFS
July 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Let's see premier athletic program in North Dakota - nope

Attendance for football - UND is building its program at the FCS level and set a record last year despite a typical first year transition schedule. From an overall athletic attendance standpoint it is around 2 to 1 UND. I can run the numbers for you if you would like.

Auto bid conference - well we are a few years away from playoffs. So, no immediate playoff impacts. But, the search for a conference is on going. I will keep you posted if I hear anything.

So, Tom and Joe can't figure out Summit League scheduling policies for three days in the North Dakota media. They look like fools in the process. Joe finally forces Tom to provide a cover story. This causes a couple of legislators one from UND and one from NDSU to write a bill requiring the schools to play in all sports and according to you it's all UND's fault. Typical.. Please refute this, please..

BisonNDSU
July 16th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Let's see premier athletic program in North Dakota - nope

Attendance for football - UND is building its program at the FCS level and set a record last year despite a typical first year transition schedule. From an overall athletic attendance standpoint it is around 2 to 1 UND. I can run the numbers for you if you would like.

Auto bid conference - well we are a few years away from playoffs. So, no immediate playoff impacts. But, the search for a conference is on going. I will keep you posted if I hear anything.

So, Tom and Joe can't figure out Summit League scheduling policies for three days in the North Dakota media. They look like fools in the process. Joe finally forces Tom to provide a cover story. This causes a couple of legislators one from UND and one from NDSU to write a bill requiring the schools to play in all sports and according to you it's all UND's fault. Typical.. Please refute this, please..

und sucks
sdsu sucks
uni sucks
und sucks
und sucks
hockey is boring

darell1976
July 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
und sucks
sdsu sucks
uni sucks
und sucks
und sucks
hockey is boring

xlolxxlolxxlolx Tell us how you really feel.xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

I-AA Fan
July 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Probably one of the longest running, and most competitive OOC rivalries no one here has mentioned is Illinois State vs. Eastern Illinois. Play em every year, I believe the longest running football rivalry in the state of Illinois. :)

Good one redbird. Don't forget that you both started out in the Gateway, that became OOC when EIU joined the Ohio Valley back in '95.

I-AA Fan
July 17th, 2009, 10:03 PM

I agree, but that may not be the reason. Remember that I-AA is a bastard child of the old DI & DII. Schools like ASU & Delaware moved down (from DI) ...schools like YSU & UNI moved up (from DII). So, all of those that left a division, lost their rivals. In I-AA, that was everyone; unless they were lucky enough to have their rivals move as well.

I-AA Fan
July 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
NDSU vs UND is worse than Americans vs Soviets circa 1945-1991. It's more like the Battle of Matter vs Antimatter from 13,700,000,000 BC. I make the rounds around different college football messageboards, and I know for a fact that there is no rivalry in which so much gutteral hatred exists between two fan bases like NDSU/UND. South Carolina/Clemson I think has a lot of the same feelings involved, but Bison/Name To Be Established Later is the worst in the country.

DI schools in ND = 1.5
DI schools in Ohio = 12 (only 2 are I-AA. Only 1 of those is scholarship-based).

It is a great deal easier to have a natural rival in your situation.

If I may digress into rivals & get us ready for fall: I live in Columbus Ohio. The hatred is so bad between OSU & UM, that Woody Hayes always referred to Michigan as ...that team up north. He was quoted in the paper as saying that he had a standing order for the buses & cars to stop just before the Ohio border & fill-up, so he would not have to give the state of Michigan any Ohio money. "We'll coast and PUSH this (expletive) car to the Ohio line before I give this state a nickel of my money!" Hayes is said to have slept on the bus because he would not give money to a Michigan Hotel, and his wife brought the food, as he refused to eat or drink anything from Michigan. He said it gave him gas. When (I think it was in 1969) asked why he went for a 2-point conversion despite a 36-point lead against Michigan, Hayes replied, "Because I couldn't go for three." Ohio State students & fans that travel to Ann Harbor to see the game used to bathe in OSU's mirror lake prior to leaving (so as not to bring any sacred Ohio Soil into Michigan), and they have to jump in again when they return ... to (as Woody said) cleanse the stench of that state from their bodies. It became a Michigan week tradition.

After Hayes had his heart attack, he held the opening team meeting from the hospital & said that he knew he was going to have a heart attack. 'I was gonna have it on Tuesday, but I postponed it until Thursday so I could hire my new backfield coach yesterday ... He stood up and beat his chest & said (about Michigan "they'll be ready for us this year, work hard an you'll be a winner" "'I'd rather die a winner than live being a loser, because when you are a loser, you die a little bit each day... Now let's get dressed and start practicing to win a national championship!'

Is it August 3rd yet?

gsu6trophies
July 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Seemed like GSU had something going with Delaware for awhile. I think we played like 4 times in 6 years or something. 2 playoffs and 2 regular season, with each team taking one of each. Too bad we couldn't keep that going. Does SDSU count. Aren't we playing them for like the 4th time this year?

Gringer1
July 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I like to call GSU versus SDSU "The Friendliest Rivalry in Football." We've played a few times and they desperately want to beat us and we really don't want to give them a win, so it's sort of a rivalry. However, both schools seem to be good sports about it; not hating each other, just really wanting to win. The only problem with creating a rivalry like this is the distance. It's simply too far between schools for most people to travel to.

Aho_Old_Guy
July 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by WVAPPmountaineer View Post
APP State - JMU ----

What rivalry?

I'm not really seeing one either but what do I know?

I could see a great rivalry developing between Appalachian and the Car-Lot 49ers but I don't foresee harboring long-term ill-will against JMU (certainly not like that held for, say, Furman, Wake and EZU xlolx )

RabidRabbit
July 19th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I like to call GSU versus SDSU "The Friendliest Rivalry in Football." We've played a few times and they desperately want to beat us and we really don't want to give them a win, so it's sort of a rivalry. However, both schools seem to be good sports about it; not hating each other, just really wanting to win. The only problem with creating a rivalry like this is the distance. It's simply too far between schools for most people to travel to.

Jacks appreciate getting the 6X FCS champ to play, and even do a 2 for 2 schedule. There needs to be more than 1 SoCon / MVFC match-up for OOC. Jacks want to win, and hopefully, in Brookings 9/13, Jacks will get their season off to an win column start.

I do know that the last game in Statesboro was one of the most exciting games I've watched. xthumbsupx

Gringer1
July 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, that last meeting was pretty epic. Some of us were joking before the game about what if SD brought a live bunny mascot and Freedom, our eagle, were to swoop down on it during his pregame flight. Everyone knows what happens when rabbits and eagles mix in the wild ;) During the game, we were cruising over you guys. I'm in the marching band and when we went down to the field to get ready for half time, your coach was looking at his notes, hands covering his face in frustration. Then the temperature dropped and gave SDSU a chance. Seriously, the heat was sweltering and they were getting blown out, then it just dropped after half time and the jacks came alive. But Jesse saved the day with about a 50 yard last second field goal to bring the win back. That kick sailed through like it was in slow motion. Just an awesome game, but I know the jacks are going to be gunning really hard for revenge. Should be a good game this year.

Seawolf97
July 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
HA, I love it so much!

Stony Brook - Hofstra. Took a bit to get that started, but we've obsessed over it and they seem to just be starting to get into it.

Hopefully it will continue past this September. Both the lacrosse and basketball series have ended for the moment. We will have to wait see with football.

Seven Would Be Nice
July 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Its been hard to develop good rivalries with OOC schools when our Athletic Director doesn't own a map. Apparently teams like SDSU make more sense to schedule a Home-and-Home with then CCU/SSU. xflamemadx

Uncle Buck
July 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hopefully it will continue past this September. Both the lacrosse and basketball series have ended for the moment. We will have to wait see with football.

Me too man, i hope it continues as well. I like the series as well.

Ivytalk
July 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM
Other than Delaware, our series with Harvard and Princeton have become pretty good, but the history is not as deep as with the Hens. But over the past 10 years we've played both schools frequently with the games being pretty entertaining and hard fought.

I think if you asked the current Harvard players, they would name Lehigh as their toughest OOC rival. Each school has won on the other's home turf recently. The Holy Cross game has been hotly contested in recent years, with each team winning a nail-biter at home, but I don't think the Crimson get up for the Crusaders as much.