PDA

View Full Version : Around FCS: Steve McNair's paradoxical life

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Around FCS: Steve McNair's paradoxical life

By David Coulson, FCS Executive Director

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - At The Sports Network, we look at the winners of our annual awards as members of an extended family, so when I learned of the death of Steve McNair on the Fourth of July, it hit me in a close and personal way.

Though I had never met the 36-year-old McNair in person, we had been working on getting the 1994 Walter Payton Award winner involved in the yearly FCS awards banquet since he retired from a 13-year NFL career last year.

I was looking forward to a long and fruitful relationship with a man who was the ultimate warrior on the football field.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4241407

ButlerGSU
July 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Excellent article Mr. Coulson.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hope Mr. Coulson finds this link by my post.

1994 SHSU v Alcorn State game (from the coaching film, not the ABC video)...SHSU wins infront of the largest crowd in school history.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=3761449

Fresh off of his Sports Illustrated cover appearance, McNair didn’t disappoint the record crowd or the national TV audience. He completed 33-of-56 passes for 395 yards and also led the Braves with 46 yards on the ground. “Air” McNair tossed two touchdown passes and ran for one more.

But the Bearkats countered with an offensive attack of their own, gaining 511 yards of total offense, including 310 on the ground. Lester Leonard led the way with 119 yards on 19 carries with two touchdowns and Wayne Coleman had 111 yards on 18 carries and three scores.

The defense also rose to the occasion, picking off three McNair passes and recovering two other fumbles. The victory was part of a five-game winning streak to start the 1994 season for the Bearkats.