PDA

View Full Version : Best FCS/I-AA team of the '00s (so far)?

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Simple question: what is the best FCS/IAA team of this decade so far? I couldn't decide which teams to put in the poll option so I decided the fairest way would be to pick the 9 national championship teams from this decade. If you want to go with a team that did not win the NC, then make your case.

IMO, the top four is some combination of '03 Delaware and the three App. State teams, with #5 being the 2004 JMU team. Personally, I'm going to go with '06 ASU. The offense wasn't quite as good as it was in 2007 but they had a great defense. I give them the edge over '03 UD for going undefeated in FCS play and still winning all four playoff games by double digits with (IMO) better competition in playoff games.

crossfire07
July 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I went with Western Kentucky. they went from having to play in 2nd hand shoes donated to them to a National Championship.

biggie
July 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
'07 App for me. The Defense was better in '05 and '06 but the offense more than made up for it. Beating Mich, then the slump of losing 2 after that. The big win streak to finish the year, some luck/hard work to hold on to the first 2 playoff games, but then dominance in the last 2 playoff games.

blueballs
July 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM
2003 Delaware... stifling- perhaps the best I can recall- defense for the ages and outstanding offensively. That was a great team that mowed down and tough schedule with relative ease.

Big Al
July 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM
It hurts to see Richmond up there, as I felt UNI was the better team last year, although all credit is due Richmond for gutting out the come from behind win.

Edit: To be perfectly honest, I don't know that any team can lay unquestioned claim to "Best of the '00s, although App St comes close.

DLS
July 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
'09 appstate . . . .

. . . . "on paper"

McNeese75
July 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
2003 Delaware... stifling- perhaps the best I can recall- defense for the ages and outstanding offensively. That was a great team that mowed down and tough schedule with relative ease.

Based on their defensive performance throughout the playoffs I have to agree with you xnodx

Go...gate
July 6th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Yes.

Reign of Terrier
July 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
03 Delaware was the only team to dominate Wofford's best team in history on both sides of the ball

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
I voted for 2003 Delaware as well. I truly believe that team was playing like a Top 25-30 FBS team during that playoff run.

The team was just loaded. Shawn Johnson was unblockable.

LacesOut
July 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have two teams!

UD and App 06.

GannonFan
July 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
While I certainly respect the Appy St teams, and the three-peat is without a peer, I never thought any one of those teams was all-time great worthy.

For this poll, I think it comes down to the '00 GSU team or the '03 UD team - considering what UD did to that Wofford team, who were extremely good in their own right, I go with the Hens.

AppAlum2003
July 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM
That '06 ASU team that only lost to NC State was the most impressive to me.

These are playoff teams that are getting beat by 20+ points:

2006 NCAA Division I FCS playoffs
Won First Round vs. Coastal Carolina (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastal_Carolina_University), 45–28
Won Quarterfinal vs. Montana State (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_State_Bobcats_football), 38–17
Won Semifinal vs. Youngstown State (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youngstown_State_Penguins), 49–24
Won Championship vs. Massachusetts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMass_Minutemen), 28–17

89Hen
July 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Mike and Mike were talking about the greatest single year teams of the 80's this morning and I think this would fit nicely into this arguement. AppSt is without a doubt the program of the 00's but IMO the '03 Hens were the best single team of the decade, especially the playoff run. I've never seen teams that were so good in the regular season like SIU, UNI and Wofford so overmatched (yes they were all at home) and the only shutout and largest MOV in the NC game.

GaSouthern
July 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
App st. clearly wins because their votes are being spread over so many teams.

WOCO
July 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Gotta go with delaware. That team was loaded (granted half of their starters were FBS transfers). GSU was up there too with AP. He was unstoppable and that team was loaded as well.

89Hen
July 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
App st. clearly wins because their votes are being spread over so many teams.
Kinda like why the CAA is clearly the best conference. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
July 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Gotta go with delaware. That team was loaded (granted half of their starters were FBS transfers).
Here we go. xrolleyesx IIRC there were three transfers starting.

GaSouthern
July 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Kinda like why the CAA is clearly the best conference. xsmiley_wix

Hmmmm

I see 4 SoCon championship wins up there, how many for the CAA?

PS: My vote was for GSU and I don't think it is a homer vote.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
PS: My vote was for GSU and I don't think it is a homer vote.

Honestly, I don't even think that was the best GSU team of the decade. In 2001 we probably had the best defense we ever had and our offense was also better in 2001 than it was in 2000. Our 2004 team was probably better, too.

BTW, great sig xthumbsupx :D

jmufan999
July 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM
2003 Delaware (i just threw up a little bit in my mouth)

they outscored their opponents by an absolutely DISGUSTING margin of 101-16 in the playoffs, including a shutout in the NC game. that's just sick. that's like 2008 USC Defense type of sick.

blueballs
July 7th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Honestly, I don't even think that was the best GSU team of the decade. In 2001 we probably had the best defense we ever had and our offense was also better in 2001 than it was in 2000. Our 2004 team was probably better, too.

Personnel wise I tend to agree- although the 1989 defense was awfully good too- but that 2000 team made the big plays when the money was on the table which is why they won the title, where the 2001 and 2004 groups didn't.

The 2002 GSU team was awfully, awfully good too but couldn't stop WKU on the fourth and 13 with about two minutes left and then gave up the long pass in the corner which may well have cost that group a title too. Again, loaded and consistent, but couldn't make the one big play to get in position to win the title.

WUTNDITWAA
July 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Trying to decide between 2005, 2006 and 2007 ASU is like trying to pick one of my children over the other two. Delaware in 2003 was excellent, but I'll be a homer and pick 2007 ASU. The team's ability to put as many points on the board as was needed to get the win, was most impressive.

Houndawg
July 7th, 2009, 04:37 PM

they outscored their opponents by an absolutely DISGUSTING margin of 101-16 in the playoffs, including a shutout in the NC game. that's just sick. that's like 2008 USC Defense type of sick.

Hands down. They made some very good teams look bad.

Ud1Hens
July 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM

The 149-23 margin also includes a Wofford TD pass with 0 seconds left on the clock or it would have been even worse. They also outscored their opponents 60-0 in the 1st quarter of the four playoff games.

Monarch History
July 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM
My vote goes to the '03 Delaware Blue Hens. The Blue Hens dominated their postseason opponents lkie no one ever before, outscoring them 149-23 and posting what was then the first-ever shutout in the championship game.

93henfan
July 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM
My vote goes to the '03 Delaware Blue Hens. The Blue Hens dominated their postseason opponents lkie no one ever before, outscoring them 149-23 and posting what was then the first-ever shutout in the championship game.

Correct, Monarch. JMUFan99 did not tally the 48-7 opening round win over SIU in his totals.

It was certainly the most dominating playoff run in FCS/I-AA history.

And you know I can't pass up an opportunity to show the Sambursky hit again. Youch @ the 54 second mark xeekx : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtqHbCjpxrk (sound is intermittent)

Houndawg
July 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Correct, Monarch. JMUFan99 did not tally the 48-7 opening round win over SIU in his totals.

It was certainly the most dominating playoff run in FCS/I-AA history.

And you know I can't pass up an opportunity to show the Sambursky hit again. Youch @ the 54 second mark xeekx : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtqHbCjpxrk (sound is intermittent)

That was definitely a de-cleater.

mvemjsunpx
July 8th, 2009, 02:56 AM

Delaware was certainly dominant in the '03 postseason, but it wasn't "like no one ever before". Montana outscored their playoff opponents 185-34 in the 1995 playoffs (48-0 over EKU; 45-0 over Georgia Southern; 70-14 over SFA; 22-20 over Marshall @ Marshall for the title).

As for the best team of the 2000s, I think the only ones really worthy of consideration are these three:

'06 App State - 14-1; undefeated against FCS; outscored opponents by an average of 35-15; the best of the App three-peat teams

'01 Montana - 15-1; undefeated against FCS; beat UNI 38-0 in the semis; nearly pitched the first title game shutout until Furman's bizarre hail mary TD at the end

'03 Delaware - 15-1; beat bowl-bound FBS Navy (though they lost to FCS Northeastern); outscored all opponents by an average of 35-15 and postseason opponents by an average of 37-6; beat Colgate 40-0 in Chattanooga, the most lopsided win and the only shutout in the history of the title game

andy7171
July 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I voted for '07 App State. The Michigan win and them completely destroying everyone in the playoffs can't be beat.

93henfan
July 8th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I voted for '07 App State. The Michigan win and them completely destroying everyone in the playoffs can't be beat.

Yeah, it was a tough decision for you, between that and the '03 Delaware team. xrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

Looking at the voters is pretty revealing. No cross voters among any of the UD, ASU, or GSU contingents. Homerism is alive and well. Even down to rivals, with UD garnering some of the non-App SoCon vote and App garnering some of the non-UD CAA vote (cough Towson fan).

ButlerGSU
July 8th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Yeah, it was a tough decision for you, between that and the '03 Delaware team. xrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

Looking at the voters is pretty revealing. No cross voters among any of the UD, ASU, or GSU contingents. Homerism is alive and well. Even down to rivals, with UD garnering some of the non-App SoCon vote and App garnering some of the non-UD CAA vote (cough Towson fan).

That's not entirely true, I just glanced at it but blueballs voted for UD.

BDKJMU
July 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM

Helloxconfusedxxconfusedx In the 1st round of the playoffs they beat JMU by one point 28-27, despite JMU having over 40 min time of possession and 436 yards offense to less than 20 min and 330 for ASU. Remember the famous JMU fumble at the ASU 5 with 22 seconds left? ASU won, but if that is destroying JMU, then I have a bridge to sell you. Hello?xconfusedx

BDKJMU
July 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM

07' ASU had a miracle on the mountain to beat an 8-3 regular season JMU team by 1 point in the 1st round when JMU fumbled it away (see above post) and they dropped 2 So-Con games regular season. Their 06' NC team which went undefeated in the So-Con appeared to have been better.

03' UD did destroy everyone in the playoffs that year. I voted 03' UD.

93henfan
July 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM
That's not entirely true, I just glanced at it but blueballs voted for UD.

Good catch. After a closer look, I also see that Delaware's own LacesOut voted for App. xconfusedx

CrackerRiley
July 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Since I'm a homer and a young 1-AA fan (started at App in '05 :o) I have to go with the '06 App. IMO, their defense was the best in '05 and worst in '07 and their offense was the best in '07. So '06 was a happy medium with names like Maques Murrell, Orlebar and Tharrington on the defensive line.

Pie in the Sky.... If Richie Williams was around in '06... One of the best teams of all time... xwhistlex xpeacex

asknoquarter21
July 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Best on this list is '03 UD or '06 ASU

After next season '09 ASU is gonna be a candidate xnodx certainly the best we have had in 5 years.

blueballs
July 8th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Best on this list is '03 UD or '06 ASU

After next season '09 ASU is gonna be a candidate xnodx certainly the best we have had in 5 years.

...on paper.

Remember they said the same thing about GSU in 2003 with all the returning starters (18 I believe) from the 11 win semifinalist the year before but they laid a massive 7-4 turd and sat home Thanksgiving weekend and beyond.

TheValleyRaider
July 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I've only been watching since 2003 (so I'll refrain from voting and commenting on prior sides)

From what I've seen, it's between:
2003 Delaware
Saw that one firsthand... xoopsx. They were a stifling defense. The numbers speak for themself, including those incredible margins of victory

2006 Appalachian State
Only loss to NC State, unbeaten against I-AA competition. 4 big wins in the playoffs, including a dominant win over a good UMass team

Since App State teams beg comparison to one another, I like 2006 better than 2005 because of the stronger playoff run, and better than 2007 not only for the better playoff run, but running the table against subdivision competition beats a loss at that level xtwocentsx

LacesOut
July 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM
After a closer look, I also see that Delaware's own LacesOut voted for App. xconfusedx

Didn't want to be too much of a homer! haha

Gil Dobie
July 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
2007 NDSU, not eligible for the playoffs, but one of the best Bison teams ever. 10-1, beating 2 FBS teams, one was a FBS conference champ and bowl team. Would have loved to have seen them in the playoffs. Main reason was the QB who was dearly missed in the 2008 season.

Saint3333
July 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
03 Delaware was the only team to dominate Wofford's best team in history on both sides of the ball

Didn't ASU beat Wofford 49-17 in 2005? You may want to check your "history" closer, there are many times that Wofford has been dominated on both sides of the ball.

Saint3333
July 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
People are talking about the 2003 Delaware defense, should also be talking about the 2006 ASU defense. ASU only allowed 223 points that year, with many of those points coming against 2nd and 3rd teamers once ASU was up 3 scores. That team was the best of the three ASU teams. Could you imagine the 2006 defense with AE as a sophomore, scary.

Houndawg
July 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
2007 NDSU, not eligible for the playoffs, but one of the best Bison teams ever. 10-1, beating 2 FBS teams, one was a FBS conference champ and bowl team. Would have loved to have seen them in the playoffs. Main reason was the QB who was dearly missed in the 2008 season.

xlolx You're hat is too tight. That team would have been 7-4 if they'd been in the MVC.

'03 Delaware would have been top 20 in the BCS.xnodx

YoUDeeMan
July 8th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Didn't ASU beat Wofford 49-17 in 2005? You may want to check your "history" closer, there are many times that Wofford has been dominated on both sides of the ball.

He doesn't need to check his history. He said that Delaware dominated Wofford's best team on both sides of the ball...not any Wofford team. xthumbsupx

appmountaineer
July 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM
gotta go with 2006 ASU. When Armanti became the starter the offense improved, and the defense was consistent all season.

YoUDeeMan
July 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Helloxconfusedxxconfusedx In the 1st round of the playoffs they beat JMU by one point 28-27, despite JMU having over 40 min time of possession and 436 yards offense to less than 20 min and 330 for ASU. Remember the famous JMU fumble at the ASU 5 with 22 seconds left? ASU won, but if that is destroying JMU, then I have a bridge to sell you. Hello?xconfusedx

ASU 07 has no business being in the picture. They were manhandled by JMU and got lucky to survive the first round.

06 got by UMass in no spectacular fashion. UMass should have continued to stick to the run and wear down the small ASU line as they did on the opening drive - completely obliterating the "great" ASU defense. UMass panicked and their overrated QB didn't come through. ASU won, but it was not a great performance by either team.

Saint3333
July 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM
ASU 07 has no business being in the picture. They were manhandled by JMU and got lucky to survive the first round.

06 got by UMass in no spectacular fashion. UMass should have continued to stick to the run and wear down the small ASU line as they did on the opening drive - completely obliterating the "great" ASU defense. UMass panicked and their overrated QB didn't come through. ASU won, but it was not a great performance by either team.

I've never seen a team get "manhandled" and win. ASU scored more than JMU, get over it... The 2007 team doesn't deserve to be mentioned? The 2007 team could score in under 2 minutes against anyone. They dominated the other finalist, can't remember who right now... and of course had the all-time upset in college football.

2006 - UMass came out on a high as some teams do, and had a good first drive, then ASU made adjustments and won fairly comfortably.

You'd think that the team that won back-to-back-to-back would be deserving if for nothing else the target on their backs.

Houndawg
July 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I've never seen a team get "manhandled" and win. ASU scored more than JMU, get over it... The 2007 team doesn't deserve to be mentioned? The 2007 team could score in under 2 minutes against anyone. They dominated the other finalist, can't remember who right now... and of course had the all-time upset in college football.

2006 - UMass came out on a high as some teams do, and had a good first drive, then ASU made adjustments and won fairly comfortably.

You'd think that the team that won back-to-back-to-back would be deserving if for nothing else the target on their backs.

A great run for sure, but the '03 Hens were man-among-boys good.

Houndawg
July 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM

I never got the hype about their QB either.

ChickenMan
July 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM
If you're just talking playoffs.. the '03 UD squad is no doubt the pick.. but during that '03 regular season the (15-1) Hen team had some very tight wins:

22-21 @ UNH
21-17 @ Navy
24-21 (OT) Maine
51-45 (3 OTs) UMass
20-17 @ Nova

but everyting really came together during the totally dominate playoff run:

48-7 SIU
37-7 UNI
24-9 Wofford
40-0 Colgate

Reign of Terrier
July 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM

xrolleyesx notice I said WOFFORD'S BEST TEAM IN HISTORY. ASU beat Wofford's worst team in the last 7 years whereas Delaware beat our BEST team. You check your history and while your at it your reading comprehension because I said nothing about the only team to dominate Wofford on both sides of the ball. As a matter of fact Air Force beat us 40-0 that year but that was under different circumstances

TheValleyRaider
July 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
If you're just talking playoffs.. the '03 UD squad is no doubt the pick.. but during that '03 regular season the (15-1) Hen team had some very tight wins:

22-21 @ UNH
21-17 @ Navy
24-21 (OT) Maine
51-45 (3 OTs) UMass
20-17 @ Nova

48-7 SIU
37-7 UNI
24-9 Wofford
40-0 Colgate

You could also mention that the 1 in 15-1 was a loss to Northeastern xreadx

Or I could mention it, whichever... :D xcoolx :p

Saint3333
July 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM
70-24, go away little doggie...

Let's be honest 2003 isn't going down as the best playoff field ever. Wofford and Colgate, vs. YSU and UMass, no contest.

runHENrun
July 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Let's be honest 2003 isn't going down as the best playoff field ever. Wofford and Colgate, vs. YSU and UMass, no contest.

Maybe you can tell me 3333, I did put a little effort in trying to find this info, but struck out, who won the Woffy, Appy game in 2003?

Saint3333
July 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Do you really want to play that game? What does that have to do with the 2006 ASU team vs. the 2003 UD team? The only time ASU faced UD they manhandled them and the 2006 team was better than the 2007 version, using your logic I assume this is far game...

The 2003 ASU team lost to a 6-6 Citadel team by 3 and a 7-5 EKU by 28, but only lost by 14 to the "best" Wofford team ever at Wofford? Like I was saying the 2003 playoff field wasn't very impressive.

The 2006 ASU team didn't lose to an FCS team, 2003 UD did (an 8-4 Northeastern).

JDC325
July 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I think the poll for the most part should be who has the most posters on AGS that has won a national championship in the last ten years xlolx

Reign of Terrier
July 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM

42-31 us, 14-7 you sorry but those App teams weren't the best; granted your 70-24 game was against the best offensive team we had whereas the defense wasn't--we also turned the ball over 5 times which was way out of character so if you didn't lay 50 on us you'd be in trouble.

People in the SoCon are still trying to downplay how good a team Wofford is, first they say we won conference when it was a weak conference, then they say we reached the semis in a weak playoff-- no respect xbawlingx

The 2003 ASU team lost to a 6-6 Citadel team by 3 and a 7-5 EKU by 28, but only lost by 14 to the "best" Wofford team ever at Wofford? Like I was saying the 2003 playoff field wasn't very impressive.

Wofford's offense wasn't stellar back then we beat teams because our defense rarely let the other team score more than 20. I thought we beat you 24-14.

93henfan
July 9th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I think the poll for the most part should be who has the most posters on AGS that has won a national championship in the last ten years xlolx

Mission accomplished.

Saint3333
July 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM
42-31 us, 14-7 you sorry but those App teams weren't the best; granted your 70-24 game was against the best offensive team we had whereas the defense wasn't--we also turned the ball over 5 times which was way out of character so if you didn't lay 50 on us you'd be in trouble.

People in the SoCon are still trying to downplay how good a team Wofford is, first they say we won conference when it was a weak conference, then they say we reached the semis in a weak playoff-- no respect xbawlingx

Wofford's offense wasn't stellar back then we beat teams because our defense rarely let the other team score more than 20. I thought we beat you 24-14.

So you've brought up all three of WC's wins over ASU in one post. Do you really want to talk about the series, ASU is 4-1 in the last 5 and 9-3 since WC joined the SoCon, many of those weren't close.

The SoCon was weak that year as was the playoff field, this isn't meant to disrespect WC. Hey a championship is a championship congrats.

Thundering_Herd
July 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Gil. The 2007 NDSU Bison! I wish that there was some way to see what would have happened if they were able to play in the playoffs! Other than that 'oops' at the end, they were perfect. And before anyone spouts off about losing to SDSU, the Delaware team that everyone is talking about lost to Northeastern? Oh,... and NDSU in 07 would've beaten App St. (and Michigan). Fire away!!! xlolx

Reign of Terrier
July 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM
So you've brought up all three of WC's wins over ASU in one post. Do you really want to talk about the series, ASU is 4-1 in the last 5 and 9-3 since WC joined the SoCon, many of those weren't close.

The SoCon was weak that year as was the playoff field, this isn't meant to disrespect WC. Hey a championship is a championship congrats.

actually i only brought up 2, the 14-7 game was your win i was pointing out that app nudged by a team that didn't make the playoffs. Once again you need to check your reading comprehension.

89Hen
July 10th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I wish that there was some way to see what would have happened if they were able to play in the playoffs!
Alas, the world will never know. Does seem rather interesting that they go 10-1 in the Great West in 2006 and 2007 and then 6-5 once they got in a full conference... just as a lot of smart people here said might happen. xwhistlex

Houndawg
July 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Gil. The 2007 NDSU Bison! I wish that there was some way to see what would have happened if they were able to play in the playoffs! Other than that 'oops' at the end, they were perfect. And before anyone spouts off about losing to SDSU, the Delaware team that everyone is talking about lost to Northeastern? Oh,... and NDSU in 07 would've beaten App St. (and Michigan). Fire away!!! xlolx

xcoffeex NDSU's '07 team was a big duck in a small pond. They'd have finished fourth in the MVC that year.

Gil Dobie
July 10th, 2009, 09:36 AM
xcoffeex NDSU's '07 team was a big duck in a small pond. They'd have finished fourth in the MVC that year.

Big difference in NDSU's 2007 team specifically at QB vs 2008
No way to prove either arguement, just opinions, but.....

SIU over NIU 34-31
NDSU over Central Michigan (MAC Champs) 44-14
Central Michigan over NIU 35-10
Purdue over Central Michigan 51-48 Motor City Bowl

Gil Dobie
July 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM
xlolx You're hat is too tight. That team would have been 7-4 if they'd been in the MVC.

'03 Delaware would have been top 20 in the BCS.xnodx

Like I said before, it's all opinion, neither right nor wrong, just opinion. The MVC never got to see Steve Walker or Joe Mays at their best.

Gil Dobie
July 10th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Alas, the world will never know. Does seem rather interesting that they go 10-1 in the Great West in 2006 and 2007 and then 6-5 once they got in a full conference... just as a lot of smart people here said might happen. xwhistlex

2008 minus Steve Walker and Joe Mays xoopsx

89Hen
July 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
2008 minus Steve Walker and Joe Mays xoopsx
Convenient that they left. :p

Nebuta
July 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM
App St 07 barely beat JMU. Coach is still kicking himself for putting the team in that situation. A team of the decade does not even put themselves in that situation.
They are up by 2 scores.

Delaware 03' had the full package on both sides. Wofford team was amazing and Johnson and company made them look ordinary. NC game 40-0. enuff said.

AppMan
July 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Hard to go against the 05 ASU team. it featured 7 future pro players (5 NFL & 2 Canadian league), 7 All Americans, 12 All Southern Conference players.

AppSt.09
July 12th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I had go with the 2007 Mountaineers. I do think that 06 was a better team, but if Armanti had been at 100% all year then its not a far cry to say that we might have been undefeated that year.

Houndawg
July 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM

22-21 @ UNH
21-17 @ Navy
24-21 (OT) Maine
51-45 (3 OTs) UMass
20-17 @ Nova

48-7 SIU
37-7 UNI
24-9 Wofford
40-0 Colgate

The way they turned it up a notch in the playoffs is why they got my vote.

SIU was badly hosed by the selection committee that year getting UD in the first round.

JMU Newbill
July 14th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I don't understand how people can vote for the '07 App St. team. I wasn't that impressed with them, although they did get a miracle play call from MM to beat us in the playoffs. I think if JMU had played them in '06, we would have gotten torn to shreds.

FWIW... I voted for the '06 App team.

BDKJMU
July 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM

I wouldn't exactly call entering the 4th quarter tied and winning by 11 winning comfortably.

BDKJMU
July 14th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I don't understand how people can vote for the '07 App St. team. I wasn't that impressed with them, although they did get a miracle play call from MM to beat us in the playoffs. I think if JMU had played them in '06, we would have gotten torn to shreds.

Helloxconfusedx JMU did play ASU in 06'. ASU won 21-10.

89Hen
July 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM
SIU was badly hosed by the selection committee that year getting UD in the first round.
Even though it worked out for UD, the Hens were equally hosed. Both teams should have had lower ranked opponents to open up.

Houndawg
July 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Even though it worked out for UD, the Hens were equally hosed. Both teams should have had lower ranked opponents to open up.

No one was going to beat UD in the playoffs that year, but I think SIU would have shown well against anyone else in the field. Hell, we were actually driving for a score when Sambursky got de-cleated. Might have been the best drive anyone had against you.xlolx

Saint3333
July 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Agreed the 2006 team, especially at the end of the season once AE had 5-6 games under his belt was the best. The defense was amazing and the offense was beginning to show signs of what they could do (and continued to do in 2007).

89Hen
July 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Might have been the best drive anyone had against you.xlolx
Only. :o

And that hit on Sambursky was the most meaningful, hardest hit I've ever seen in person.

SIUallDay
July 14th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Only. :o

And that hit on Sambursky was the most meaningful, hardest hit I've ever seen in person.

xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtqHbCjpxrk

xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x