PDA

View Full Version : What Happens with Texas State University-San Marcos?

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Since this is "Texas State University-San Marcos" month according to the Facts of the Day, perhaps we can talk a little about the school in San Marcos...?

What do you think will end up happening with the program once the moratorium is lifted?

Do they stick around in the Southland Conference?

Do they stay in the Football Championship Subdivision? Or go to the Football Bowl Subdivision?

Do they leave with several other SLC schools to start a new conference? Are there other schools in the SLC possibly leaving?

Do they go to a new conference? Or do they go to an established conference? As in, do they join the WAC? C-USA? Sun Belt?

Does the SLC kick them out of the conference in 2013 (considering FB schedules are set through 2012) per the conference by-laws regarding an announced intent to leave (which they have done with the "Drive")?

Will they upgrade the basketball/volleyball venue after their moves with football, baseball and softball? Do they start to get results from men's hoops?

What do you think the SLC office thinks of the happenings as it relates to FBS in San Marcos?

Lastly, how do new football programs at Lamar and UTSA play into anything (and everything)?

We keep going over this subject on numerous FCS boards around the SLC, but would nice to see others from around the nation interject their thoughts, especially those familiar with the league expansion possibilities around the nation....

And yes, this is part of an effort to get the Bobcats back on this board, seems we've seen an influx of Demons, but what happened to those Bobcats? This is their month after all!

Retro
July 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Why don't you and whoever at AGS just call them Texas State??? xrolleyesx

There is no other school with that name to be confused with and don't tell me the crap about how they are registered with the state, etc.. blah, blah, blah...

It does no harm to any school nor does it misrepresent them in anyway to just use the name Texas State... Your constant effort to downplay their usage of just Texas State is childish.

chrisattsu
July 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM
So Many questions TT --

What do you think will end up happening with the program once the moratorium is lifted?

If the moratorium is lifted, and we are offered an invite to a conference, then I believe that we will leave the SLC. That has been the stated goal since the drive kicked off. If they had the opportunity, and backed out, they would piss off their donors and alumni yet again.

Do they leave with several other SLC schools to start a new conference? Are there other schools in the SLC possibly leaving?

Truth be told, I think they leave them behind. You have stated time and again that the Sunbelt doesn't really have a spot. However, I think they would look to pick up one more football school. Especially one in the west that can rival with UNT and ULaLa.
WAC wants Texas, but they wouldn't take 4 upstarts to create an East division.

We all know that Texas State and UTSA are looking to move. Lamar and Sam
have shown interest to a lesser extent, but could they finance a move? Those schools have smaller student bodies that won't produce comparable athletic budgets if the students are taxed. I don't think SFA could make the jump, and while UTA has the student body-- their president has shown that he is more interested in the academic standing of his school over their athletics. The Louisiana SLC schools are not interested in the move.

Do they go to a new conference? Or do they go to an established conference? As in, do they join the WAC? C-USA? Sun Belt?

I could see them joining a Southwestern conference if one was created via realignment, but I put it on the bottom of the list. I think we are heading toward the Sunbelt. Geographically their footprint makes more sense for another Texas school.

Does the SLC kick them out of the conference in 2013 (considering FB schedules are set through 2012) per the conference by-laws regarding an announced intent to leave (which they have done with the "Drive")?

I think all parties are just waiting to see what comes of the Moratorium. We have speculated in the past that the replacements for Texas State and UTSA are going to come from the Lonestar Conference. The moratorium keeps them from being able to move up as well. I think we will get answers once the water is less murky.

Will they upgrade the basketball/volleyball venue after their moves with football, baseball and softball? Do they start to get results from men's hoops?

Results from Men's hoops need to happen now. Everyone knows that MBB is the second most important sport behind football. We finished at-or-near the top in every sport besides basketball last season. We have replaced 3 assistant coaches in the last couple of months. Davalos' contract is up after next season, my guess is that the pressure is on him to win.

Facilities wise, they will not improve Strahan for awhile. If you look at the conferences that are being considered, our arena's (7200) capacity is middle of the pack for the Sunbelt and on the lower end of the WAC. It is larger than FAU, FIU, Troy, Ark-LR, ULM, Idaho, San Jose State, and 1,000 shy of WKU + LaTech.

What do you think the SLC office thinks of the happenings as it relates to FBS in San Marcos?

Sucks, but everyone is in a holding pattern. Can't replace us unless you want Centenary or UTPB.

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
There is no other school with that name to be confused with and don't tell me the crap about how they are registered with the state, etc.. blah, blah, blah...

There could be one day.

Afterall, this is the reason (among others - see the Chancellor) that Angelo State left the TSUS. It is why Sam Houston State protected their name in 2007 and why Lamar, SFA, Sul Ross followed in 2009.

It does no harm to any school nor does it misrepresent them in anyway to just use the name Texas State... Your constant effort to downplay their usage of just Texas State is childish.

Nor does it misrepresent the school to call them "Texas State University - San Marcos", which is what their public relations style guide states. I give them the proper name on first reference and from there, I can do as I see fit. Trying to be consistent...

"Texas State University-San Marcos : The full name of the university since it was renamed in September 2003. For communications that will be distributed off campus, use the full name, including “-San Marcos” (use a hyphen) on first reference and either Texas State University or Texas State on subsequent references (one or the other used consistently within your document). For on-campus communications, Texas State is acceptable on all references. Never use TSU, Texas State or TxSt."

http://www.umktg.txstate.edu/resources/guides/editorial-styleguide/ed-guide-t.html

So Many questions TT --

And so many answers! Great job Chris! ;)

McNeese75
July 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Why don't you and whoever at AGS just call them Texas State??? xrolleyesx

Probably the same reason we call the school down the road ULL

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Probably the same reason we call the school down the road ULL

And my favorite...they have their own forum on RaginPagin (their fan web site) related to the name change that is amongst their most active section! xlolx

The Bobcats ask why the name change situation comes up amongst their fan base all the time. Well, it's going to stick around for some time - if you just compare to the "equivalent" in Lafayette.

Retro
July 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
And my favorite...they have their own forum on RaginPagin (their fan web site) related to the name change that is amongst their most active section! xlolx

The Bobcats ask why the name change situation comes up amongst their fan base all the time. Well, it's going to stick around for some time - if you just compare to the "equivalent" in Lafayette.

Terror, this shows just how stubborn and WRONG you really are.

The reason they are referred to as ULL or UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA at LAFAYETTE is because there is in fact another school with UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA name in Monroe!!! Wake up and get a life already!xcoffeex

Your agenda to demean them is so childish, it's no wonder you live on message boards where you strive to be some worthless authority.xrolleyesx

bandit
July 6th, 2009, 03:21 PM
The name situation is a bit different for Texas State and ULL because the media - i.e. ESPN - will refer to Texas State, and the Cajuns will be ULL as long as ULM is around at the 1-A level.

The only people who are going to refer to the Bobcats at Texas State-San Marcos are fans of Southland Conference schools who - from my outsiders perspective - seem to possess a certain amount of bitterness over Texas State's name change, facility upgrades, and plans for 1-A football, as well as being an attempt to get under the skin of Bobcat fans.

As for ULL, I noticed the Phil Steele refers to them as "Louisiana" in his magazine. Whether that is a sign the tide is starting to turn, I dunno.... I tend to doubt it.

centexguy
July 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I'll answer a few of these questions...

Since the SLC doesn't seem to mind taking D1-newbies then they probably would kick out both Texas State and UTSA. Schools come and go all the time in the SLC so they'll probably leave first before the SLC kicks them out.

No other schools in the SLC have publicly mentioned going FBS, not even Lamar, so I doubt a new FBS conference of SLC schools will happen. As a longtime Lamar fan, I can say the two biggest mistakes Lamar made were (1) killing football and (2) leaving the Sunbelt for the SLC. The first is mistake is being taken care of now, we'll see what will be done about the second. Lamar is quietly building up their facilities now and they'll probably wait a few years to see how the football program does before making a decision.

Lastly, how do new football programs at Lamar and UTSA play into anything (and everything)?

I think most everyone will agree that UTSA's football program will impact Texas State's program a lot more than Lamar's because they are so close to each other. Both UTSA and Lamar are located in metro areas that don't have other D1 football programs while Texas State is sandwiched between UT and UTSA.

MaximumBobcat
July 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM
The name situation is a bit different for Texas State and ULL because the media - i.e. ESPN - will refer to Texas State, and the Cajuns will be ULL as long as ULM is around at the 1-A level.

The only people who are going to refer to the Bobcats at Texas State-San Marcos are fans of Southland Conference schools who - from my outsiders perspective - seem to possess a certain amount of bitterness over Texas State's name change, facility upgrades, and plans for 1-A football, as well as being an attempt to get under the skin of Bobcat fans.

As for ULL, I noticed the Phil Steele refers to them as "Louisiana" in his magazine. Whether that is a sign the tide is starting to turn, I dunno.... I tend to doubt it.

Basically yeah that's correct. There is a reason to call the Cajuns ULL over their preferred name of Louisiana, BECAUSE some people not be familiar and it's honestly just easier for all parties involved to say ULL.

That case is not the same for Texas State, which is the only university with the name Texas State.

I've pointed this out to TT, but if he wants to be so proper (as he obviously does, what with looking up our university's editorial style guide for our official name) why doesn't he use the proper names for other schools, like Texas or Illinois? Why doesn't he call them UT - Austin or UIllinois-Urbana-Champaign? I've seen enough of TT's posts over the years to see that he doesn't give proper names for those schools, but is actually normal and calls them UT and Illinois. Why doesn't he do this for TxSt?

MaximumBobcat
July 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
What do you think will end up happening with the program once the moratorium is lifted? If TxSt is offered a space in a FBS conference, we will move up asap. If we are not, we will continue to play in the SLC until a space become available.

Do they stick around in the Southland Conference? Until a space becomes available in FBS.

Do they stay in the Football Championship Subdivision? Or go to the Football Bowl Subdivision? FBS

Do they leave with several other SLC schools to start a new conference? Are there other schools in the SLC possibly leaving? They could go to the SBC with UTSA as a pair if the SBC gets raided by a better conference. They could go to with UTSA as a pair if C-USA gets raided by a better conference. The only way I see TxSt trying to get a new SW conference off the ground is if it is 2014-2015 and there appears to be no movement in the FBS landscape and the SBC hasn't offered.

Do they go to a new conference? Or do they go to an established conference? As in, do they join the WAC? C-USA? Sun Belt? I'm guessing that the Bobcats will go to the SunBelt. As Chris said, it makes decent geographic sense.

Does the SLC kick them out of the conference in 2013 (considering FB schedules are set through 2012) per the conference by-laws regarding an announced intent to leave (which they have done with the "Drive")? No, I don't think the SLC would ever kick out TxSt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Bobcats were the only SLC school to garner an At-Large bid for an NCAA tournament. That is more free publicity for the Southland. Also, we are arguably the SLC's best chance for a NCAA tournament win in volleyball and softball. These are all things the SLC wants. We are the largest school (I think we beat out UTSA by a bit this year) in the conference and that means the largest alumni market for SLCTV, for SLC tournaments, etc, etc, etc....
We have been a member of the SLC for a long time and obviously have not used the SLC as a stepping stone. The SLC has been the home for TxSt for a decades. Until something big happens that would spur such a move (can't think of anything remotely possible happening), the SLC will not be kicking TxSt out any time soon.

Will they upgrade the basketball/volleyball venue after their moves with football, baseball and softball? Do they start to get results from men's hoops? I don't know. No clue on Strahan expansion. I don't see it happening in the next 10 years though.

What do you think the SLC office thinks of the happenings as it relates to FBS in San Marcos? I think they are probably upset to lose such a great school. With the uni administration seemingly finally beginning to take football seriously, I think the SLC offices could see TxSt becoming a powerhouse at the FCS level and don't want to see us go. Hey, you asked! xlolx xpeacex

Lastly, how do new football programs at Lamar and UTSA play into anything (and everything)? Lamar is going to have a hard time going to FBS. I see them taking TxSt's place in the SLC for the next 10 years.

UTSA is another beast altogether. I just don't see how UTSA is going to get a good enough record in the beginning seasons to garner enough support to go FBS. They have a few hardcore fans who support football, but I don't think they have enough to weather the storm of a cluster of 2-9 season the first few years. Coker is a big name, but his coaching methods are beginning to be questioned (Rivals should get a cut of his salary). I wouldn't be surprised to see TxSt in the SBC and UTSA in C-USA or both of us as a pair going to either SBC or C-USA together. Much movement in FBS would have to happen for the latter to work though.

Retro
July 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Apparantly the moderators on here can't handle the truth and delete my post without any reasoning.. Apparantly they have no real job either!xrolleyesx

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I'm guessing that the Bobcats will go to the SunBelt. As Chris said, it makes decent geographic sense.

What move(s) would you think would free open that or those spaces?

No, I don't think the SLC would ever kick out TxSt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Bobcats were the only SLC school to garner an At-Large bid for an NCAA tournament.

In what sport? I am confused!

The SLC has historically gotten at-large bids in baseball, softball, golf and football. This year, the SLC sent two teams in golf and two teams in baseball. So, TXST is not the only school to garner an at-large bid this year alone.

That is more free publicity for the Southland. Also, we are arguably the SLC's best chance for a NCAA tournament win in volleyball and softball. These are all things the SLC wants.

I can possibly agree with volleyball, since the league as a whole is not that talented at the national level. However, SFA got the most recent win (defeated Alabama) in the sport.

As for softball, it's a lot like baseball. You get a strong pitching performance, you can win. Prior to this year, SHSU in 2007 and McNeese in 2005 are the recent softball winners. It is not unusual for the league to win in the postseason if that's the case.

We are the largest school (I think we beat out UTSA by a bit this year) in the conference and that means the largest alumni market for SLCTV, for SLC tournaments, etc, etc, etc....

The SLC TV perhaps translates (no proof at this point), though we have seen that the highest-rated TV game in SLC history for football is SHSU-SFA (circa 2003, I believe). We have also seen that the program has not had a successful hoops program, thereby not positively impacting attendance at the SLC tournament.

Lamar is going to have a hard time going to FBS. I see them taking TxSt's place in the SLC for the next 10 years.

Does this mean that torch will be passed back? LU has the record for most last-place finishes. And well, we know how TXST has done historically in terms of winning records until the last three years...

MaximumBobcat
July 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
What move(s) would you think would free open that or those spaces?

Big East raids on C-USA and then C-USA raids on SBC. Something like that.

In what sport? I am confused!

The SLC has historically gotten at-large bids in baseball, softball, golf and football. This year, the SLC sent two teams in golf and two teams in baseball. So, TXST is not the only school to garner an at-large bid this year alone.

Ok, I looked it up.

Looks like the two SLC teams who got at-large bids this year were TxSt in baseball and UTA in golf. Right?

I would argue that an at-large bid for the baseball regionals is a lot more impressive than a golf at-large, but it's really all subjective. My main point being, this is just more proof of a competitive, successful Athletic Department that the SLC offices view as an asset to their conference and are not looking forward to seeing leave.

UNHWildCats
July 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
There could be one day.

Afterall, this is the reason (among others - see the Chancellor) that Angelo State left the TSUS. It is why Sam Houston State protected their name in 2007 and why Lamar, SFA, Sul Ross followed in 2009.

Nor does it misrepresent the school to call them "Texas State University - San Marcos", which is what their public relations style guide states. I give them the proper name on first reference and from there, I can do as I see fit. Trying to be consistent...

"Texas State University-San Marcos : The full name of the university since it was renamed in September 2003. For communications that will be distributed off campus, use the full name, including “-San Marcos” (use a hyphen) on first reference and either Texas State University or Texas State on subsequent references (one or the other used consistently within your document). For on-campus communications, Texas State is acceptable on all references. Never use TSU, Texas State or TxSt."

http://www.umktg.txstate.edu/resources/guides/editorial-styleguide/ed-guide-t.html

And so many answers! Great job Chris! ;)
You only use the full name like that because you know it pisses off the Texas State fans....

MaximumBobcat
July 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
You only use the full name like that because you know it pisses off the Texas State fans....

You know what, the name doesn't piss me off at all.

I LOVE TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY - SAN MARCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's where I spent 4 fantastic years and it's the school name printed on my diploma.

I just get pissed when TT calls us that just to piss a few bobcat fans off and then tries to hide behind the guise of acting formal.

And that's what really grinds my gears.

http://www.rapmullet.com/images/features/grinds-my-gears1.jpg

slycat
July 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Texas State will go to the Sun Belt. Denver wants to move on and New Orleans is falling face first to budget cuts.

I hope they find a miracle way to get in CUSA. Or heck the WAC screw the travel costs.

And the athletic name of the school is Texas State. I don;t see anyone typing Sam Houston State University or University of Montana every time.

slycat
July 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
You know what, the name doesn't piss me off at all.

I LOVE TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY - SAN MARCOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's where I spent 4 fantastic years and it's the school name printed on my diploma.

I just get pissed when TT calls us that just to piss a few bobcat fans off and then tries to hide behind the guise of acting formal.

I don't mind the name, but if you are going to use a full school name for athletics then do it for all schools. As long as I know I didn't go to SHSU then I don't care.

And while we are at it, where the heck is the Texas State banner? Does this mean we get 5 days into August to make up for the days we paid for?

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Texas State will go to the Sun Belt. Denver wants to move on and New Orleans is falling face first to budget cuts.

You must not have read what I posted on your message board. ;)

DU is the 13th school. You would need the league to be at fewer than 12. If DU leaves, the league has a perfect travel partner situation (UNT and ULM would be the most inconvenient pairing, but it's two turns-I-20/I-35 from one city to the next).

UNO just got a hefty donation via the will of a longtime fan of the program (and several other programs) that could be upwards of $50M, according to different reports.

chrisattsu
July 6th, 2009, 05:30 PM
You must not have read what I posted on your message board. ;)

DU is the 13th school. You would need the league to be at fewer than 12. If DU leaves, the league has a perfect travel partner situation (UNT and ULM would be the most inconvenient pairing, but it's two turns-I-20/I-35 from one city to the next).

UNO just got a hefty donation via the will of a longtime fan of the program (and several other programs) that could be upwards of $50M, according to different reports.

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4340/sunbeltplus.jpg

There are some discussions on the Sunbelt Board about expansion, and who they should consider if if they were to expand. The posters making are making cases for several schools in their footprint Texas State, UTSA, Lamar, Mo State, GA Southern, Appy, JaxState.

While 14 is not 'the' ideal number for all sports, there are conferences that do it. The Sunbelt could split East / west along the Mississippi.

West -
Missouri State / Arkansas State
Texas State / North Texas
ULL / ULM
Ark- Little Rock * (Non Football member)

East
WKU / MTSU
Troy / South Alabama
FAU / FIU
New Orleans*

OR---

North-
North Texas / ULM
Ark State / Mo State
WKU / MTSU
Ark-LR

South-
Texas State / ULL
Troy / South Alabama
FAU / FIU
New Orleans

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2009, 05:37 PM
While 14 is not 'the' ideal number for all sports, there are conferences that do it. The Sunbelt could split East / west along the Mississippi.

The map does not included the non-football schools. And I do not think the league would want to split up the Louisiana schools, just like they would not want to do that to the Arkansas, Texas, Alabama, Florida or the WKU/MT pairings...

You would probably end up getting some weird pairing as is the case with SFA/Lamar and their flip-flopping in the SLC. That'd be too much of a burden placed on one school financially while all the other schools are taken care of.

centexguy
July 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
There's so many FCS schools that have hinted at going FBS and even if a few openings are available that leaves a lot of schools out in the cold. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some sort of new FBS conference sometime after 2011 or 2012.

Which schools get invites to FBS conferences depends more on politics and the whims of the school presidents than what we fans think in these forums. It's fun to talk about this stuff but in the end we don't have much control of what happens. I'm just happy that Lamar will be playing football again soon.

bandit
July 6th, 2009, 09:03 PM
It seems to me that the WAC could be very interested in Texas State and/or UTSA. They offered spots to North Texas and other Sun Belt schools, but they refused. They have La Tech geographically isolated, and no Texas presence at all. The WAC would probably take any new 1-A member that made sense because they are vulnerable as long as Boise and Fresno are dangling there in front of the MWC. If the MWC expands - which could happen if they feel it will help their BCS chances - the WAC could need membership additions in a hurry.

chrisattsu
July 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
It seems to me that the WAC could be very interested in Texas State and/or UTSA. They offered spots to North Texas and other Sun Belt schools, but they refused. They have La Tech geographically isolated, and no Texas presence at all. The WAC would probably take any new 1-A member that made sense because they are vulnerable as long as Boise and Fresno are dangling there in front of the MWC. If the MWC expands - which could happen if they feel it will help their BCS chances - the WAC could need membership additions in a hurry.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2378/waczks.jpg

You hit the nail on the head regarding reasons why Texas State might have a shot at the WAC. However, excluding Hawaii when you look at the map. Even if they added Texas State, UTSA and maybe UNT or Lamar, the new Eastern Division of the WAC is still separated by 1,000 miles at its closest point (NM St and Utah St).

I understand beggars can't be choosers, but it just seems completely out of place because there are no schools that can really bridge the conference between East and West. I know that the footprint is currently in place, so it is just a matter of filling in some gaps, but I think it is currently a marriage of convenience. The WAC still needs 'x' number of schools, LaTech does not want to be in the Sun Belt, and there is no other regional conference for NMSt to get access (as CUSA and MWC will not let them in).

The WAC fans have made it no secret that they would like to see Cal Poly or Montana move to their conference and keep things in the West/NW. I could see this marriage eventually dissolving if more schools in either the W/NW or SW/Central regions started to look at making the move, and either region received a critical mass.

slycat
July 6th, 2009, 10:00 PM
The WAC could happen even though travel would suck. The WAC would love to get a chance to get in the Texas recruit market. Best part of that conference is theres a shot at being a bubble buster.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM
The WAC would need upwards of four additional teams from New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma or Louisiana added to make that league work

That league does not work without clear cut divisions. The league would also have to "centralize" championships as much as possible (no Hawaii!) and be very creative with scheduling (perhaps have two "intra-division" weekends in sports like softball, tennis, volleyball, etc) where teams together to play a crap load of conference matches in one weekend.

centexguy
July 7th, 2009, 08:17 AM
La Tech and New Mexico State are the two "outsiders" so to speak. I think if those two broke away and joined up with Missouri State, Wichita State, Oral Roberts, Texas State, UTSA, North Texas and a few others (maybe Lamar, SHSU, Central Arkansas, Arkansas State or some other combination of SLC and Sun Belt schools), you'd have an nice regional conference that would be strong in basketball and baseball located in some nice markets. The quality of football would be questionable and in all probability this will never happen.

bobcatalum05
July 7th, 2009, 08:36 AM
It would be nice if the TXST would hire a full time lobbyist to begin courting some of the conferences or to start to work on the relationships necessary to start a new FBS conference.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM
It would be nice if the TXST would hire a full time lobbyist to begin courting some of the conferences or to start to work on the relationships necessary to start a new FBS conference.

Probably best if the athletic and university administration reach out to their counterparts at other schools in sought after conferences. I do not think a lobbyist is the same personal relationship that would benefit a school compared to Denise Trauth getting friendly with the Presidents at NT, Ark St and a few other of the other regional SBC schools.

Wonder if TXST has contacted UTSA or vice-versa, regarding FBS. While the schools are in contact all the time, wonder if it has been more direct about the subject.

bobcatalum05
July 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Probably best if the athletic and university administration reach out to their counterparts at other schools in sought after conferences. I do not think a lobbyist is the same personal relationship that would benefit a school compared to Denise Trauth getting friendly with the Presidents at NT, Ark St and a few other of the other regional SBC schools.

Wonder if TXST has contacted UTSA or vice-versa, regarding FBS. While the schools are in contact all the time, wonder if it has been more direct about the subject.

What I mean is a person that works for both the President and the AD and spends 100% of the time working on a new conference affiliation. Someone that is Lobbying for a spot for TXST, working all the connections. The president will play an important role but I am sure she has alot to of other issues.

bandit
July 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
A new FBS league would seem doubtful. There just aren't enough schools in position to actively make the move to 1-A.

Even if UTSA, Texas State AND Lamar *all* made the move to 1-A, who else would be involved?

UTSA
Texas State
Lamar

Lousiana Tech? It would be a hard sell for them to leave a leage with an auto-bid to the NCAA tournament and bowl tie-ins and TV deals already in place to join a regional conference with 1-A newcomers.

Missouri State? No indication they are interested in FBS.
Wichita State? It could be 20 or more years before they ever revive football.

The more likely possibility in my view would be the WAC or Sun Belt. CUSA could split in half in coming years, and that could lead to opportunities to merge with the Western teams for a new SWC-type league.

But ultimately whatever happens, there should be an opportunity for TxSt and UTSA somewhere. If you make yourself attractive enough, someone will want you. There are currently ZERO teams in FBS that are without a conference (except for ND, Army and Navy, who are all independent by choice.)

bandit
July 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
The WAC would need upwards of four additional teams from New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma or Louisiana added to make that league work

That league does not work without clear cut divisions. The league would also have to "centralize" championships as much as possible (no Hawaii!) and be very creative with scheduling (perhaps have two "intra-division" weekends in sports like softball, tennis, volleyball, etc) where teams together to play a crap load of conference matches in one weekend.

Yeah... that would be preferable. Perhaps if a full-fledged Eastern division of the WAC is feasible then North Texas would actually re-think it's position.

Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
North Texas
Texas State
UTSA
Lamar? Ark State?

Hawaii
Idaho
Fresno St.
Boise St.
San Jose St.
Nevada
Utah State

Something along those lines could be doable, and if I'm the WAC i'd be acting proactively because they could easily lose 1 or 2 members to the MWC in the coming years.

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
As noted before - if Lamar and TXST make the move up - SHSU will follow. SHSU has more students and could get more from student fees than Lamar would. That's too vital a role. SHSU has also positioned itself with more employees in the development side of things, which if it pays off, could be crucial.

bigred
July 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I will always call them Southwest Texas State Normal School.

bobcatfan06
July 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Ok....

TexasTerror
July 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM

My wife did not believe me when I explained to her most teacher universities were "Normal" institutions back in the day. Her alma mater in Maryland, just like Sam Houston State, etc.

What happened when the teams - a good few named 'Normals' - took on each other? xlolx

slycat
July 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM

Yeah but they need to start somewhere. They could start with UTSA and Texas State.

houtexan
July 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM
LMAO. Haven't been on here in awhile and thought I'd see what's new. Not much...Terror still ticking off the masses at that school in San Marcos. :)

ASU
July 9th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I do not think it is as important as to what Texas State is going to do.....it seems they are hell bent on going FBS ASAP.......

I am sure they will probably get into a conference.....

I believe it is more important what they do after that. No offense, and don't take this the wrong way, but what have they done in FCS? Do you think that all of a sudden, because they become FBS, that it is going to be something magical......more money, more notoriety, better recruiting, etc., etc.......some of that is probably true.....but it also will mean more expenses, longer trips, less commonality among schools. You cannot expect to become University of Texas just because you change football affiliations. Good luck to you guys, and Jacksonville State, and Georgia State, and UNCC, and Old Dominion.....and anyone else that just believe this will be the best thing since chocolate pie.

McNeese75
July 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I do not think it is as important as to what Texas State is going to do.....it seems they are hell bent on going FBS ASAP.......

I believe it is more important what they do after that. No offense, and don't take this the wrong way, but what have they done in FCS? Do you think that all of a sudden, because they become FBS, that it is going to be something magical......more money, more notoriety, better recruiting, etc., etc.......some of that is probably true.....but it also will mean more expenses, longer trips, less commonality among schools. You cannot expect to become University of Texas just because you change football affiliations. Good luck to you guys, and Jacksonville State, and Georgia State, and UNCC, and Old Dominion.....and anyone else that just believe this will be the best thing since chocolate pie.

Nice post xthumbsupx

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:BQ9Zs9dzFhOc3M:http://thatradio.podhoster.com/media/images/bigstockphoto_hammer_striking_nail_w_sparks_333329 .jpg

crossfire07
July 9th, 2009, 03:05 PM

they will move up to FBS and we won't hear anymore about them until we see them on ESPN being somebodies girl. for a fee of course xsmiley_wix

slycat
July 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM

To compare us or anyone to UT is apples to oranges. They have the Big 12 which no one can get in. Heck even Tech makes runs and still is considered way outta UTs league.

That said its what the school and students want. It all people talked about at games or on campus when it came to sports. In Texas it matters. Yes U of H, Rice, SMU, TCU, Baylor are bottom dwellers but imagine where that puts the FCS schools in this state. It will help with recognition and credibility no matter how bad the team is.

chrisattsu
July 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM

ASU, I agree that Texas State has done very little at the FCS level. We have only had two post season appearances in 20+ years of FCS. In answer to your questions because of FBS will we have --

More money -- Yes. The students and alumni want FBS football. The students agreed to increase their athletic fee as long as we were committed to FBS. Our athletic budget will increase from $12M to $25M within the next 3 years. We are seeing more large $$$ donations than ever before because people want this push to FBS

Notoriety -- Yes. In the Lonestar State, the FBS teams get more ink and tv time than FCS teams.

Better Recruiting -- I would hope so. Depends on where we go, but I remember listening to interviews with recruits who chose schools like "UTEP, Houston, Louisiana-Lafayette because they were D1 and Texas State was not"

I don't think our fans think that our fans have any illusions of becoming UT. The team in Austin is a self-sufficient minor league team. Athletically, they have established themselves in such as way that even their 'peers' A&M and TTU cannot touch them.

TexasTerror
July 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM
More money -- Yes. The students and alumni want FBS football. The students agreed to increase their athletic fee as long as we were committed to FBS. Our athletic budget will increase from $12M to $25M within the next 3 years. We are seeing more large $$$ donations than ever before because people want this push to FBS

Yes, but you also spend more. More scholarships, more staff, more this, more that. TXST is used to being in a bus league, but if you end up in the WAC, a large chunk of that XYZ amount of money. More money is great, but you have got to figure that the program will still run about "even", if not finagling your budget a little more to get there.

Notoriety -- Yes. In the Lonestar State, the FBS teams get more ink and tv time than FCS teams.

I disagree. If you are in C-USA, you get those CBS College Sports (formerly CSTV) games, but if you are North Texas (which is a comparable institution for this case, especially since the SBC is a likely destination) - what TV are you getting? The SLC TV package is better than the Sun Belt's. SLC TV gets you on FCS, while the SBC - ESPN+, which I can not get nationally. Of course, there are those Tuesday or Wednesday football games on ESPN2. Those go over well with the alums, eh?

As far as ink - a little more here and there (particularly pre-season in "previews"), but in Texas - I would not expect much more than you get now, especially if UTSA comes on strong. A UTSA in a C-USA or WAC could negatively impact TXST's coverage, if they were in the SBC.

Better Recruiting -- I would hope so. Depends on where we go, but I remember listening to interviews with recruits who chose schools like "UTEP, Houston, Louisiana-Lafayette because they were D1 and Texas State was not"

TXST and the rest of the SLC are already competing with those schools for recruits. May help to some degree, but I do not see tremendous jumps.

McNeese in fact has better recruiting classes than every school in Louisiana sans LSU and every now and then, La Tech and Tulane.

bandit
July 9th, 2009, 10:12 PM
A UTSA in a C-USA or WAC could negatively impact TXST's coverage, if they were in the SBC.

This is a very important point. Look at the difference in perception between a UCF and FAU or FIU. If UTSA somehow lands in CUSA or the WAC and TXST ends up in the Sun Belt, that will definitely hurt the national perception of TXST.

That said, I would expect them to be a package deal for conference expansion, especially if its the WAC.

TexasTerror
July 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I tell you what...

The Bobcat fan base seems to be "mobilized" and is trying to put information about their school on most every board which has been bringing up expansion. I go over to the BFs.com fan board and see links to posts on the Sun Belt board, C-USA board, different school boards from across the SBC, C-USA and WAC.

While they are still being called a "no-name" by quite a few fans, if anything - it has heightened the awareness of their school and as we all know, individuals from school and conference administrations do read the boards.

Can't hurt...

89Hen
July 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Texas State will most likely end up in the same boat as Ark St, Troy, FIU, FAU... the chances of becoming the next Boise or UConn are VERY slim. xpeacex

Redbird Ray
July 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I may be a bit naive about the entire Texas State situation, but it seems to me that they are in great shape to EVENTUALLY have a premier impact in FBS. Their enrollment is already larger than most Big 12 schools, and as dumb as it may sound, I think there's something to be said for being an attached State university for a major state like Texas. I know at Illinois State we are hoping to play the same card someday.

It's too bad CUSA is set on 12 members right now, because otherwise I think that would be the most natural fit for Texas State. Even with the travel expenses, I would take the WAC (and maybe take UNT along also) over the Sun Belt bc it seems to be a more well rounded conference for other sports.

A long ways down the road, maybe Texas State gets into the Big 12. Unless you're name is UCLA, hyphenated schools just don't get into power conferences. But for now, I'd be thrilled to be a Texas State fan, knowing that the admins are 100% dedicated to FBS, where a school with 30,000 students should be.

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I tell you what...

The Bobcat fan base seems to be "mobilized" and is trying to put information about their school on most every board which has been bringing up expansion. I go over to the BFs.com fan board and see links to posts on the Sun Belt board, C-USA board, different school boards from across the SBC, C-USA and WAC.

While they are still being called a "no-name" by quite a few fans, if anything - it has heightened the awareness of their school and as we all know, individuals from school and conference administrations do read the boards.

Can't hurt...

wow, if this isn't calling the pot calling the kettle black then i don't know what is! you do realize you post more Texas State information (mostly negative, immature, and opinionated) on this site and others than anyone who actually is affiliated with Texas State?! You're funny...thanks, i needed that laugh. xlolx

89Hen
July 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I may be a bit naive about the entire Texas State situation, but it seems to me that they are in great shape to EVENTUALLY have a premier impact in FBS. Their enrollment is already larger than most Big 12 schools, and as dumb as it may sound, I think there's something to be said for being an attached State university for a major state like Texas. I know at Illinois State we are hoping to play the same card someday..
I don't think it's dumb to say the name is somewhat important. But it doesn't always mean it will put somebody over the hump... Arkansas State, Alabama State... as for size... that too can help, but doesn't mean much at some places. IIRC both George Mason and Georgia State have huge enrollments (28k+). I really don't think either will do much in DI.

Redwyn
July 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
It's too bad CUSA is set on 12 members right now, because otherwise I think that would be the most natural fit for Texas State. Even with the travel expenses, I would take the WAC (and maybe take UNT along also) over the Sun Belt bc it seems to be a more well rounded conference for other sports.

While it's anyone's guess what these changes will be, there are DEFINITELY conference re-alignments on the horizon. The economic slump has had some hard effects on schools, and conferences like the Big East and CUSA with a spread out geographic footprint are starting to feel that pinch. Hell, when the Ivy League has budget problems, you KNOW the rest of the US is hurting.

While I have little to back this up, it would not surprise me to see a split Big East (large publics on one end, parochial privates on the other) and a formal east/west split C-USA come about in the near future. It makes geographic sense, financial sense, and - in an age where media exposure is EVERYTHING - will assist institutions (particularly public) in academic and athletic recruitment in their natural zones.

In such a situation, it would not surprise me to see C-USA consolidate by adding Tx-State and UTSA to create a "Texas Cohort" with Rice and Houston. Memphis would likely shift to a public Big East (unless their post-Calipari slump continues) and the East would center around the Southeast region, perhaps giving App State, JMU, and Georgia St. the conference jumps they need? You're essentially creating a Big-12 and SEC jr. conference, but at least a consolidated media presence will help keep it upright rather than a spread out, low level effort.

Just a thought, it's fabulously unrealistic but definitely makes sense from a naive point of view.

crossfire07
July 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM
what are they going to do about getting more people to come to the games to meet the minimum attendance numbers? 11225 a game isn't going to cut it. do like everybody else and pad the numbers?

centexguy
July 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
The CUSA schools don't want to be in the same conference as Texas State, UTSA, or any SLC or Sun Belt school. The SWC dominated Texas for a long time and those schools see themselves as better than other schools in Texas. For the most part the ex-SWC schools are considered the "elite" schools in Texas and have been D1 for a long time. Both Texas State and UTSA are relatively new D1 schools so for them to be considered for a CUSA-type FBS conference they need to show that they have the money, facilities, and the potential to compete with these other schools. North Texas has been D1 a lot longer than Texas State and UTSA and they are still looking for respect in Texas.

bobcatfan06
July 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
The CUSA schools don't want to be in the same conference as Texas State, UTSA, or any SLC or Sun Belt school. The SWC dominated Texas for a long time and those schools see themselves as better than other schools in Texas. For the most part the ex-SWC schools are considered the "elite" schools in Texas and have been D1 for a long time. Both Texas State and UTSA are relatively new D1 schools so for them to be considered for a CUSA-type FBS conference they need to show that they have the money, facilities, and the potential to compete with these other schools. North Texas has been D1 a lot longer than Texas State and UTSA and they are still looking for respect in Texas.

Thank you Captain Obvious....

crossfire07
July 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
North Texas has been D1 a lot longer than Texas State and UTSA and they are still looking for respect in Texas.

N.T. does not get get any respect because they have not done anything to earn respect. not on the football field anyways. Texas would probably only have 1 FBS school if the NCAA enforced all the rules instead of the ones they pick to enforce.

Redbird Ray
July 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Be this as it may be, Houston, SMU, Rice etc. are currently in a conference with football juggernauts such as UAB, UCF (I know they one good year in 07), Tulane etc. Don't get me wrong, CUSA is a great conference, but even that league has its relatively new FBS or struggling members. I see no reason why Texas State couldn't eventually be a part of this group either in CUSA or a new SWC.

centexguy
July 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Thank you Captain Obvious....

xlolx

It may be obvious for those of us in Texas, but maybe not for everyone else. A lot of politics is involved when it comes to conference affiliations, so commons sense and the like goes out the door.

chrisattsu
July 20th, 2009, 11:01 AM
xlolx

It may be obvious for those of us in Texas, but maybe not for everyone else. A lot of politics is involved when it comes to conference affiliations, so commons sense and the like goes out the door.

You are exactly right. The legacy of the SWC still hangs all over Texas. Go to Kyle Field, and you will see the Aggies still have SWC championships hanging up. Go to Jones AT&T in Lubbock, and you will find SWC logos surround the field. Go to the bars surrounding SMU, and there are SWC memories on the walls.

Their fans will continue to look down on North Texas State and SWT because they were not part of that 'boys club'. I think the only way to change that stigma is beat the snot out of them.

bandit
July 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Be this as it may be, Houston, SMU, Rice etc. are currently in a conference with football juggernauts such as UAB, UCF (I know they one good year in 07), Tulane etc. Don't get me wrong, CUSA is a great conference, but even that league has its relatively new FBS or struggling members. I see no reason why Texas State couldn't eventually be a part of this group either in CUSA or a new SWC.

Exactly right.

SMU, Rice and Houston may like to look down on other Texas schools, but they evidently had no problem getting in bed with the likes of Marshall - a regional school with low academic standards - solely on the strength of their football program. For all their elite standing, they were unceremoniously dumped by BYU, Utah, etc. when the MWC was formed, and TCU ran away from them as fast as they could when the opportunity arose.

CUSA probably has no reason to expand now, and they might not any time soon, but if there is an opening and UTSA and/or Texas State have made significant progress in their football programs, then I think the rest of CUSA would give them a serious look. I'd say a bigger hurdle for them would be that the eastern schools such as ECU, UCF, Marshall would probably be more inclined to look at schools more in line with them geographically.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM
CUSA probably has no reason to expand now, and they might not any time soon, but if there is an opening and UTSA and/or Texas State have made significant progress in their football programs, then I think the rest of CUSA would give them a serious look. I'd say a bigger hurdle for them would be that the eastern schools such as ECU, UCF, Marshall would probably be more inclined to look at schools more in line with them geographically.

Such as the pairing of WKU and Middle Tennessee - two schools who bring A LOT more to the table - specifically in both M/W basketball - than UTSA, TXST could bring in the foreseeable future. Both schools also have much more of a rivalry to add to the table.

crossfire07
July 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
CUSA probably has no reason to expand now, and they might not any time soon, but if there is an opening and UTSA and/or Texas State have made significant progress in their football programs, then I think the rest of CUSA would give them a serious look.

CUSA needs to make significant progress in the football programs they have now. they are fricking disgusting. 16 teams and only like 5 have a winning record with the Mighty Marshall and their 3-8. Oh how I envy being in a conference sending a school with a 6-6 record to the prestigious MajicJack Bowl. NOT! It ought to be a federal offense with a life sentence to be served in Guantanamo Bay for these kind of FBS teams and FBS conferences to exist that are full of pretenders.

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM
On a related subject, big news out of the system office...

With SHSU alums having the top two seats on the TSUS Board of Regents with the Chair and Vice Chair positions, I have faith that this top spot will be filled adequately...

AUSTIN – Charles Matthews, Chancellor of the Texas State University System, announced his resignation in Austin on Monday (July 20), effective February 2010.

Matthews, who has served in the position since February 2005, led the system through a period of enormous growth and change as it emerged as one of the preeminent higher education systems in the Lone Star State.

Matthews, a former Texas Railroad Commissioner and Mayor of Garland, expressed satisfaction with the system’s achievements over his five year tenure and conveyed his gratitude for the opportunity to serve in the position.

http://www.shsu.edu/~pin_www/T%40S/2009/ChancellorResigns0709.html

bandit
July 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
CUSA needs to make significant progress in the football programs they have now. they are fricking disgusting. 16 teams and only like 5 have a winning record with the Mighty Marshall and their 3-8. Oh how I envy being in a conference sending a school with a 6-6 record to the prestigious MajicJack Bowl. NOT! It ought to be a federal offense with a life sentence to be served in Guantanamo Bay for these kind of FBS teams and FBS conferences to exist that are full of pretenders.

I think ultimately CUSA is going to have to split into 2 more regional leagues. The rivalries have been slow to develop with such long distances involved and zero history between schools like Marshall and UTEP, for instance. The schools in conference USA are never going to get the kind of money and TV appearances the BCS schools do anyway, so why not try and make as much financial sense as possible by not having such a far-flung league? A new version of the SWC and a new league with eastern/southern schools like ECU, USM, UCF, etc... would probably get more $$ combined and more bowl slots for sure than the current CUSA does now, and they could save on travel $$$ and actually build rivalries.

Problem is there aren't enough attractive teams to fill up these 2 future leagues, but eventually as the Sun Belt schools improve and some of the top 1-AA schools move up in key geographical spots, these regional leagues can be put together.

BobcatSymphony
July 21st, 2009, 07:06 AM
With SHSU alums having the top two seats on the TSUS Board of Regents with the Chair and Vice Chair positions, I have faith that this top spot will be filled adequately...

Meaning a SHSU biased selection? That's why I infer from your statement, and pardon any misunderstanding, but two board members involved in the selection process of selecting a chancellor while being alumns of a member institution can hardly instill any confidence to other members of there being a fair nomination. Simple politics.

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM
Meaning a SHSU biased selection? That's why I infer from your statement, and pardon any misunderstanding, but two board members involved in the selection process of selecting a chancellor while being alumns of a member institution can hardly instill any confidence to other members of there being a fair nomination. Simple politics.

No - just was not thrilled with either of the last two Chancellors - Urbanowsky and Matthews. Some of Urbanowsky's actions as it relates to contracts within the system and statements around the name change saga as it relates to that and flagship were misguided. Matthews was too politically tied and did not utilize those in the ways I thought he would.

I do not think the selection will be SHSU-biased, but I have liked the things the Chair and Vice Chair have done for the system and SHSU. They have great qualities and a true interest in improving the system.

Problem is there aren't enough attractive teams to fill up these 2 future leagues, but eventually as the Sun Belt schools improve and some of the top 1-AA schools move up in key geographical spots, these regional leagues can be put together.

And the Sun Belt is quickly chasing C-USA in many regards. The SBC is equal or better to the MAC in football and hoops. No question the SBC is better in the other major team sports - volleyball, baseball and softball.

BearsCountry
July 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM
I think ultimately CUSA is going to have to split into 2 more regional leagues. The rivalries have been slow to develop with such long distances involved and zero history between schools like Marshall and UTEP, for instance. The schools in conference USA are never going to get the kind of money and TV appearances the BCS schools do anyway, so why not try and make as much financial sense as possible by not having such a far-flung league? A new version of the SWC and a new league with eastern/southern schools like ECU, USM, UCF, etc... would probably get more $$ combined and more bowl slots for sure than the current CUSA does now, and they could save on travel $$$ and actually build rivalries.

CUSA wont be spliting. ECU is the only one that causes a stink about being so far away. Not to mention Memphis, Tulane, and USM for years wanted to get into the SWC and now they are. Marshall doesnt mind being in a southern based conference at all. UTEP is out there but all of their alumni live in the Metroplex and Houston so no way do they want to leave. If you replace ECU with say Louisiana Tech or Texas State and its a really compact league with Marshall being the only outlier. But the big reason is tv contracts, no way in heck do they break the current leagues up to go even more geographically. It would kill both leagues tv deals.

bandit
July 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
CUSA wont be spliting. ECU is the only one that causes a stink about being so far away. Not to mention Memphis, Tulane, and USM for years wanted to get into the SWC and now they are. Marshall doesnt mind being in a southern based conference at all. UTEP is out there but all of their alumni live in the Metroplex and Houston so no way do they want to leave. If you replace ECU with say Louisiana Tech or Texas State and its a really compact league with Marshall being the only outlier. But the big reason is tv contracts, no way in heck do they break the current leagues up to go even more geographically. It would kill both leagues tv deals.

ECU is the only school that has publicly complained about the make-up of the league, but that doesn't mean schools like Marshall, UCF, etc. are happy with the current arrangement. The SWC that was attractive to Memphis, Tulane and USM is long gone - in those years it was a different animal, with major powers like UT, A&M and Arkansas.

If CUSA split into 2 smaller regional leagues, they would be able to get good TV contracts and have them split fewer ways because presumably each league would be around 9 or 10 members. Considering the additional savings of travel costs, the increased rivalries, opportunities for building fan bases, etc, I don't think we could really say right now if they'd make less $$$ than in CUSA.

Obviously this is well off into the future, but CUSA was a marriage of necessity. Once some viable options exist on the 1-A level, I think many of these schools will try and group with programs that make more sense from a regional rivalry standpoint.

BobcatSymphony
July 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM
No - just was not thrilled with either of the last two Chancellors - Urbanowsky and Matthews. Some of Urbanowsky's actions as it relates to contracts within the system and statements around the name change saga as it relates to that and flagship were misguided. Matthews was too politically tied and did not utilize those in the ways I thought he would.

I do not think the selection will be SHSU-biased, but I have liked the things the Chair and Vice Chair have done for the system and SHSU. They have great qualities and a true interest in improving the system.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not one to usually read into what people say, but some of your vague-wording (when you usually lay it out there) was misleading. I want nothing but the best for our university system, because without leadership at the top, all the schools suffer.

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not one to usually read into what people say, but some of your vague-wording (when you usually lay it out there) was misleading. I want nothing but the best for our university system, because without leadership at the top, all the schools suffer.

No question there.

This will be a very critical hire. If you get someone who is not pro-athletics moving forward, it could be difficult. You also need someone who will continue to help our schools both fiscally and in working with the THECB in bringing about some of the new degrees, programs that chrisatsu and I talked about earlier in this thread.

TexasTerror
July 21st, 2009, 04:58 PM
On Denver...

Waters said if Denver’s administrators want to look for a better geographical fit, they’ll wish them well. “Denver is a good member of the league,“ Waters said. “Denver came into the league in good faith and were extended membership by conference fathers. Denver’s done nothing wrong. In fact, Denver’s done a lot of things right. Denver led the league in Director’s Cup points and had a lot of success in tournaments.“

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/dea/troy_blog/media_day_-_wright_waters/84107/