PDA

View Full Version : Montana could get Swogger.

Ronbo
December 5th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Distance to Pullman seems to be a big factor. He is impressed that our Coaches drove through a snow storm to visit him. He is scheduled to visit our campus this weekend.

The story (http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2005/12/05/sports/03swogger.txt)

From the Bozeman Chronicle:

"Missoula's not that far from Pullman, Bozeman is really far away," Swogger said.

Swogger said the four schools he's still looking at are Montana State, Montana, Eastern Washington and Youngstown State (near his hometown of Vienna, Ohio). All are NCAA Division I-AA schools. Swogger will be a fifth-year senior next season, so he can't transfer to a I-A rival of Washington State, since transfers between I-A schools must sit out a year, and he would be out of eligibility.

Swogger said he's eliminated Idaho State of the Big Sky because "it's just too far away" from Pullman. Swogger made a last-minute decision to visit Eastern Washington last Wednesday, and he's now scheduled to visit Montana this weekend.

Grizzly coach Bobby Hauck and assistant coach Ty Gregorak drove through a snowstorm to meet with Swogger in Pullman last Thursday.

"That says something to me," Swogger said.

Hansel
December 5th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Is JW done with eligibility?

Ronbo
December 5th, 2005, 07:31 AM
He'll be a 5th year senior in 2006. I like it because our stable of QB's is very young (Freshman, RS Freshman, Sophmore in 2006) and it would give them another year to mature. Our Coaches must be thinking along the same lines.

grizindabox
December 5th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Is JW done with eligibility?

I have heard that JW does not see himself in the picture next year and is probably going to leave UM.

eagle1
December 5th, 2005, 11:19 AM
From what I hear he really likes EWU and will visit again sometime this week. It sounds like it is between us and the Griz. Go Eagles!!!

straightshooter
December 5th, 2005, 11:20 AM
And your stable of young QBs will never get to mature if you keep bringing in transfers every two years. Keep doing that and you won't be able to recruit a top QB out of HS. The key is getting players in the program and keeping them there for four or five years. He'll see what you've done in the past and go to a place where he'll have a shot for four years.

CatFan22
December 5th, 2005, 11:31 AM
So what the hell happened with YSU? I though they were a lock for him.

putter
December 5th, 2005, 12:06 PM
And your stable of young QBs will never get to mature if you keep bringing in transfers every two years. Keep doing that and you won't be able to recruit a top QB out of HS. The key is getting players in the program and keeping them there for four or five years. He'll see what you've done in the past and go to a place where he'll have a shot for four years.

I agree with this post 100%. Bergquist played most of the year and everyone tells me that Stapp is the real deal. If these kids keep getting pushed back because of 1 year wonders it will make our program look bad.b :twocents:

catbob
December 5th, 2005, 12:08 PM
So what the hell happened with YSU? I though they were a lock for him.

They underestimated how p-whipped the boy is. xsmoochx

ChickenMan
December 5th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Due to a long set of circumstances that I won't get into here... UD has had two transfer QBs over the past four seasons and it appears as if another... Pitt transfer Joe Flacco may be the starter in '06. Obviously programs can and do have tremendous success with former 1A QBs (Hall at UD... Rascati at JMU... Ochs at Montana... Martin at Furman... Long at SHS) but all those guys had more than one year of eligibility. Unless the Griz QB situation is worse than advertised I doubt that they would want or need a one year QB.

Ronbo
December 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Well here is what I believe is the situation. Bergquist was a bust this year, he went down hill every game he played. He is not a I-AA talent and the Coaches know it. Maybe a capable backup or starter at a lesser program but not at Montana. Stapp will be just a Freshman next year and is said to be the real deal. But we learned this year that Freshmen make too many mistakes and don't read defenses well. So a year at backup and a second year learning the offense is just what Stapp needs. He can take over in 2007 and be a three year starter.

That's I believe what the thinking is and why they would bring in a one year starter. A two year QB transfer would upset the young QB's too much.

griz37
December 5th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Berquist did really well his first 3 or 4 games. Then the O-Line seemed to totally fall apart & Cole had very little time to throw the ball. He seemed to lose a lot of confidence the last few games. I am far from ready to say he can't be a good QB at this level.

VictorG
December 5th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Berquist did really well his first 3 or 4 games. Then the O-Line seemed to totally fall apart & Cole had very little time to throw the ball. He seemed to lose a lot of confidence the last few games. I am far from ready to say he can't be a good QB at this level.

I tend to agree. Berquist did nothing that I saw would indicate he's a bust. At the end of the season teams just figured out that you blitz and blitz some more against the Griz. No receivers where getting open fast enough for him to consistently throw to. Many pieces of the Griz offense where missing a beat, not just the QB.

Ronbo
December 5th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Bust might have been too strong. In my opinion he looked no better than a good BSC backup. Montana has a reputation of accepting nothing less than an Ochs, Meyer, and at the least Edwards type Quarterback. Why should we settle for less?

Tailbone
December 5th, 2005, 01:52 PM
.......Bergquist was a bust this year, he went down hill every game he played.He is not a I-AA talent and the Coaches know it .

Ronbo, You're nuts!
Bergquist started very well, perhaps micromanagement, injuries, or other factors contributed to his downhill slide.

I think the kid has the tools, he may lose his starting spot to Stapp but that doesn't mean Bergquist isn't a division 1 QB.

we learned this year that Freshmen make too many mistakes and don't read defenses well. .....

And... Bergquist is a freshman. Sorta provides evidence that your previous criticism may be unwarranted.

penguinonastick
December 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM
They underestimated how p-whipped the boy is. xsmoochx

You know that there are three teams undefeated - Texas, USC and P***y. :smiley_wi The latter has always been undefeated and will remain undefeated until the end of time. :nod: :nod: :nod: I think Swogger will stay out west close to the wife. Can't seem to blame him. Zetts will be a redshirt junior next year after starting the last two. I think he has skills but not a pro-style QB like a Swogger. Swogger played his high school football here at a great catholic school that won the state championship with a load of talent. I think he will go somewhere that just graduated a senior where he could come in and not battle for a starting job. We have a backup QB from Penn State who battled for a starting job all year with Zetts. I don't think Swogger will want to battle for a position. I think Zetts has the local support since he was the starter here and also played high school ball in the area. Good luck to Swoggs wherever he goes - he has talent!

Kaduce
December 7th, 2005, 02:07 AM
You thought he was a lock for Youngstown State because thats what his father said in all the interviews.