PDA

View Full Version : The Big South Conference - 2009 Preview

elcid83
June 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Now that we all know that Phil Steele’s Division FCS Magazine [also known as the ACC/Big East Preview] will be coming out in a couple of weeks, I wanted to take a stab at what I think he might say about the Big South.

Liberty – 10-2 - Overall, 5-0 Big South . The Flames come off of another impressive football season, but, they come back minus a lot of the talent that made them so good last year. The Flames certainly had a high-powered offense in 2008 [ranked 2nd in Big South Scoring Offense, 3rd in Big South Pass Offense – 233.2 ypg, 3rd in Big South Rush Offense – 213.5 ypg, and 1st in Total Offense].

On Offense, the Flames lose the following significant contributors to graduation: Big South Offensive Player of the Year, Rashad Jennings [RB – 7th Round Draftee – Jacksonville Jaguars]. QB - Brock Smith, WR - Dominic Bolden [1056 rec. yds.] and Jonathan Crawford [713 rec. yds.], TE - Corey Rasberry OL - Mike Godsil, Britt Stone. It will be interesting to see if University of South Carolina QB transfer – Tommy Beecher will get the starting job at Liberty.

Liberty’s Big South leading defensive production will also take a step backwards as they will be feeling the loss of LB - Nick Hursky [97 tackles, 2 sacks], and Kent Hicks; DB - Kent Hicks, Ryan Greiser [67 tackles] and Pat Calvary, Sr.; DL - Kevin Richard and Colin Dugan. The defense will need to see leadership from DB Chris Rocco [Sr. – 78 tackles], DB Tim Torrense [Sr. – 48 tackles, 2 sacks], LB Chad Brown [Jr. – 48 tackles, 2sacks], and LB Wes Cheeks [Sr. – 44 tackles, 1 sack]. Also, LB Ian Childress [59 tackles, 3.5 sacks] returns after receiving a medical redshirt.

Stony Brook - 5-6 Overall, 3-2 Big South. Coach Priore and his staff look to continue the Big South’s northernmost member’s rise to the top of the Big South Conference. The Seawolves had an up and down season with a disappointing 33-0 loss to Liberty, but finished strong with wins over Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina, and VMI to finish tied for 2nd place in the Big South.

On offense, the Seawolves return Big South Freshman of the Year, RB- Edwin Gowins. Gowins rushed for 1310 yds [2nd in Big South], averaged an impressive 9.4 yds per carry [1st in Big South] and scored 11 TDs. His longest carry was for 72 yds. Look for another explosive year from Gowins. Gowins teams up with Sr. Conte Cutino who was the 4th leading rusher in the Big South with 1195 total yards and 7 tds. Dayne Hoffman [Soph] returns at the QB position after throwing for 1,636 yds and 11 TDS [9 ints]. The Seawolves lose OL - Steve Council and Lawrence Lovell.

On Defense, Stony Brook celebrates the return of LB - Tyler Santucci [Sr. – 79 tackles], Stephen Schwicke [60 tackles], and Carl Teague [Sr. – 52 tackles]; DB - Chris Richards, [Sr. – 39 tackles, 3 ints and 4 breakups] and Arin West [Jr. – 58 tackles]. The Seawolves lose DL - James Harris, Adam Soivilien, David Gross and Will Martinez.

Charleston Southern – 7-5 Overall, 3-2 Big South. The Bucs kick off their 2009 season with games against Florida, Wofford and University of South Florida. If they survive that stretch unscathed they then get to play the meat of their Big South schedule.

On offense, the Bucs lose QB Tribble Reese and OL - Alex Bragg. WR - Gerald Stevenson [Jr. 45 rec for 551 yds] returns to lead CSU in receiving numbers.

On defense, the Bucs lose DL - Jake Killeen and Justin Witzmann. DB - Philip Ashley [Sr.] and LB - Andrew McKain, [Sr. – 74 tackles, 2 sacks] return to lead the Bucs’ stout defense. Also returning are Darius Gaither [Jr – 53 tackles], Josh Warrior [Sr. – 50 tackles], and Jacques Bazile [Soph. – 47 tackles].

Gardner-Webb – 5-6 Overall, 2-3 – Big South. The GWU Runnin’ Bulldogs continued their transition to FCS football last season. Their stellar rush defense held opponents to 118.3 ypg to lead the Big South in this category. Unfortunately, their Pass Defense in the “Pass Happy” Big South was next to last allowing 225.6 ypg. GW was able to keep opponents out of the end zone effectively and only allowed 23.7 ppg [3rd place – Big South]. GW also finished 2nd in Total Defense in the Big South.

The GW offense will take a hit in the loss of the following Big South All-Conference Players: WR - Dobson Collins , and OL - Demario Deese. However, the Runnin’ Bulldogs return these standout All-Conference players - TE Josh Miller [JR], WR James Perry [R-Soph – 2nd in Big South receptions with 55 catches for 661 yds]and OL Corey O’Daniel, [Jr]. Stan Doolittle returns to the QB spot and he has been criticized for throwing too many ints [6]. However, GW was the league loser in Sacks Allowed with 29. Now that Stan’s Dad, Mike, is coaching the O Line, look for that number to improve and look for better pass production from the younger Doolittle. Big South leading kicker, Ryan Gates [Soph] returns after finishing 3rd in Big South scoring last year with 75 points [27 XPTs and 16 FGs].

Defensively, the Runnin’ Bulldogs will welcome the return of Big South Defensive Player of the Year [and preseason FCS All-American] Jeffrey Williams. Last year, the rising Jr. LB led the Big South with 119 tackles. Jeffrey also had 3 ints, 5 pass breakups, 9 tackles for loss, and 2 forced fumbles. Also returning on Defense are LB Mario Brown [Sr. – redshirted last year due to injury], LB - Marty Patterson [Jr. – 81 tackles, 12 tackles for loss], LB Dami Teniola [Jr. – 79 tackles, 1 sack]; DB - Cedric McGowan [Sr. – 46 tackles, 3 ints, 8 pass breakups], Lyndrez Leslie [Soph – 43 tackles], and Bryce Nixon [Jr. – 1 int, 9 pass breakups] DL - Jordan Woods [Soph – 51 tackles, 6 sacks, 3 forced fumbles] and Leon Hudson [Sr. – 21 tackles, 1 sack]. The Runnin’ Bulldogs lose DB - Daniel Cooke [51 tackles] to graduation.

[B]VMI - 4-7 - Overall, 1-4 - Big South. The Keydets look to get back on track after a disappointing season and help 2nd year Head Coach Sparky Woods do something that has never been done before – be successful as a head coach after being the head coach at the University of South Carolina.

Offensively, the Keydet running attack that averaged 357.5 yds per game should keep right on running. VMI returns 4 All Conference starters in QB - Tim Maypray, [Sr. – 1266 yds, 12 TDs], RB - Howard Abegesah, [Sr. – 775 yds, 6 TDs], OL - George Handler, [Sr.] and James Boatright, [Jr.] in 2008, VMI was the best Big South Scoring Offense averaging 34.4 pts per game, but they had the penultimate Scoring Defense allowing 33.5 pts per game. The Keydets were dead last in Pass Offense and Pass Defense. In order for the Keydets to play for the Big South Championship, they are going to have to balance their attack.

Defensively, LB - A.J. Gross, [Soph. – 67 tackles, 4 sacks] returns along with DB – Byron Allen [Soph. – 2 ints]. Also Kyle Nikmard [Soph. – 54 tackles, 2 sacks], Bryant Youngblood [Sr. 59 - tackles], Emilio Calvin [Soph. – 53 tackles], Kris Ware [Jr. – 49 tackles], and Tyler Reedy [Soph. – 38 tackles] all return to help the rebuilding VMI program get rebuilt.

[B]Coastal Carolina 6-6 - Overall, 1-4 - Big South. The Chanticleers look to return to their 2006 form after disappointing seasons in 2007 and 2008. Statistically, Coastal was 4th in the Big South in Scoring Offense, 4th in Scoring Defense, 4th in Pass Offense, 1st in Pass Defense, 7th in Kickoff Returns, 4th in Punting, 5th in Turnover Margin, 4th in Rush Offense, and 5th in Rushing Defense, 5th in Total Offense, and 5th Total Defense. The Big South is now competitive enough that numbers like these are going to result in a fairly unsuccessful season and that is just what happened at Coastal Carolina last year. They will need to get their program back on track to be successful in 2009.

Offensively, Coastal will lose standout RB Jamie Fordham [501 yds, 3 TDs], OL - Britt Leggett and WR Trent Usher and Arthur Sitton. However, they return Big South runner-up QB Zach MacDowall [Jr. – 61.3 Comp %age, 2064 yds, 16 TDs, 6 ints]; and RB Eric O’Neal [Jr. - 405 yds, 3 TDs]

On Defense, Coastal loses leading tackler LB - D.J. Rice [86 tackles, 1 sack] to graduation. But, DL - Phillip Oboh, [Sr. – 53 tackles, 5 sacks], LB Derrick Frasier [Jr. – 67 tackles, 1 sack], LB Chris Walls [Jr. – 58 tackles, 2.5 sacks], DB Keon Cunningham [Jr. – 3 ints, 5 pass breakups], DB Brandon Aughtry [Sr. – 51 tackles] and DB Josh Norman [ Soph. – 2 ints, 7 pass breakups] return to bring experience to the defensive side of the field.

Presbyterian - 4-8 – Overall, 1-4 Big South. While not yet eligible for conference play, the Blue Hose did manage to pull an upset over Conference Champion, Liberty in 2008. It’s difficult to believe that was their lone conference win, but, it is what it is. PC’s new head coach Harold Nichols is a former PC QB whose latest job was OC at Bucknell University. He has been coaching college ball since his PC days so he has the necessary experience.

Offensively, PC had the best Pass Offense and the worst Rush Offense in the Big South last year. Combine those stats with the last place Scoring Defense, worst Turnover Margin and worst Total Defense in the Big South and you get a 1-4 Big South record. It still doesn’t make sense that they beat Liberty, does it? School leading receiver WR - Brandon Clark graduates. Returning for the Hose are RB – SJ Worrell [SR. - 497 yds & 5 TDs], QB Brandon Miley [Soph. - 60.1% Comp Pct & 8 TDs, but 12 ints].

Defensively, the Blue Hose lose DL - Adam McKinney, LB - Antwan Thomas, and DB - Anthony McKnight. Returning for the Hose are: LBs Chris Bowman [Jr. – 90 tackles, 3.5 sacks] and Brian Leonardi [Jr. – 63 tackles, 1 sack]; DBs – Bo Tribble [Jr. – 65 tackles, 1 sack] and Justin Bethel [ Soph. – 54 tackles].

g-webb1994
June 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Nice review, but I'm still thinking that those first three games will stagnate CSU for the season. You've pegged G-W about right. I still like what Sparky is doing at VMI. LU is still the class of the conference, I frankly don't see them losing after the WVU opener.

kdinva
June 29th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all the notes, thoughts, numbers, etc............Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if three teams tied at 4-2 by season's end.........then, LU or GW could get hot and win it outright. VMI and S. Brook have the running games to make a difference, but both (especially VMI) need depth, and an injury-free, off. line platoon.

LU
G-Webb
S. Brook
VMI
CCU
CSU
Presby.

SuperJon
June 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Just so you guys know, Liberty linebacker Ian Childress was granted a sixth year. He'll be back for the Flames this fall.

kdinva
June 29th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Just so you guys know, Liberty linebacker Ian Childress was granted a sixth year. He'll be back for the Flames this fall.
Just curious: multiple injuries, or "church-related" sabbatical?

Seawolf97
June 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Really good information! Looking forward to the season getting started, I still think the Title will be decided on 11/21 when Liberty visits Long Island. Call it Northern Bias;)

Libertine
June 29th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Just curious: multiple injuries, or "church-related" sabbatical?

It's not a 6th year, it's his 5th. Ian never redshirted and played all of one half as a freshman against UConn in '05 and sat out the rest of the year with an injury. The NCAA agreed that he should get that year back.

Also, bear in mind that the FBS transfer market will have some bearing on any prognostications. Coastal has picked up two big ones at TE and OL.

zilla
June 29th, 2009, 09:42 PM
With 53 returning letterman, I think CCU will win more than just one conference game in 2009.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, running back Jamie Fordham has graduated. Eric O'Neal will be the starting RB this year for the Chants.

SuperJon
June 29th, 2009, 10:43 PM
It's not a 6th year, it's his 5th. Ian never redshirted and played all of one half as a freshman against UConn in '05 and sat out the rest of the year with an injury. The NCAA agreed that he should get that year back.

Also, bear in mind that the FBS transfer market will have some bearing on any prognostications. Coastal has picked up two big ones at TE and OL.

I knew that. I don't know why I said sixth year. I think it was the combination of sudafed and ibuprofen I've been taken. When in doubt, blame it on the cold medication.

elcid83
June 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I knew that. I don't know why I said sixth year. I think it was the combination of sudafed and ibuprofen I've been taken. When in doubt, blame it on the cold medication.

You aren't Jeremy Mayfield by any chance are you?xlolx

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Hoseinexile07
June 30th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I'll be offering Blue Hose based extra credit to my freshmen in the fall. For every win PC gets, they get .333 points added to their final average come December. ...People aren't going to be getting many extra points.

hoseman
June 30th, 2009, 10:56 AM
You would probably safe with 33.3 extra points for every win this fall. That's OK though as PC has to kind of start all over again after the past two years.

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Now that we all know that Phil Steele’s Division FCS Magazine [also known as the ACC/Big East Preview] will be coming out in a couple of weeks, I wanted to take a stab at what I think he might say about the Big South.

I won't confirm or deny how close you are :)

Seawolf97
June 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'll be offering Blue Hose based extra credit to my freshmen in the fall. For every win PC gets, they get .333 points added to their final average come December. ...People aren't going to be getting many extra points.

Looking forward to our game in October. I think you will like Long Island if only for a day or two.xthumbsupx

elcid83
July 1st, 2009, 08:24 AM
I went looking for the FCS Edition [otherwise known as the ACC/Big East edition] at Books a Million yesterday and had no luck. Anyone know when this mag will hit the stores?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

smallcollegefbfan
July 1st, 2009, 08:38 AM
I went looking for the FCS Edition [otherwise known as the ACC/Big East edition] at Books a Million yesterday and had no luck. Anyone know when this mag will hit the stores?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

I think it is suppose to come out in stores on July 14. You could go to www.philsteele.com and try to order it so you get it before then.

The Gadfly
July 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
I go into a cave for 1 season, come out and WHAMMY . . . the Big South has fans on this site for almost all of the teams!? Good to see . . . good to see.

BJuice
July 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM
I'm still thinking that those first three games will stagnate CSU for the season.

We had a similar three-game stretch to start last season and people said that it would ruin our season. It did not. Instead, it seasoned us and made us better for the rest of the season. I see this year's opening three-game stretch doing the same.

gobluehose1
July 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM
the only thing I am going to predict following the last 2 years is that we will play 11 games and that they will have a beginning and an end....

I also think our D will be much improved.....it couldn't be much worse

IaaScribe
July 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
We had a similar three-game stretch to start last season and people said that it would ruin our season. It did not. Instead, it seasoned us and made us better for the rest of the season. I see this year's opening three-game stretch doing the same.

No disrespect intended, but this year's three-game stretch is MUCH tougher than last year's. Florida is light years better than Miami and South Florida is light years better than Miami of Ohio.

Punchykky
July 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think Coastal Carolina will win the Big South this fall. Of course, Liberty will have a lot to say about this.

BJuice
July 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
No disrespect intended, but this year's three-game stretch is MUCH tougher than last year's. Florida is light years better than Miami and South Florida is light years better than Miami of Ohio.

I definitely agree with your point. My main point was to suggest that this 3-game stretch will help prepare us for the rest of the season just like last year's did. I think we will be better because of it.

elcid83
July 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
I think Coastal Carolina will win the Big South this fall. Of course, Liberty will have a lot to say about this.

Punchy,
It's difficult to come to the defense of the team you care about without sounding too agressive, however, Liberty really has a lot to make up when it comes to lost talent. That, compared to CCU's poor showing and GWU's talent-rich returners leads me to believe this may be GW's year. Of course there is some football left to play.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

jcmanson
July 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
I don't think we have "a lot to make up when it comes to lost talent," but we do have a lot to make up when it comes to lost experience. Alot of our younger, inexperienced players are more talented than those they are replacing; they just don't have all of the experience yet.

zilla
July 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
I don't think we have "a lot to make up when it comes to lost talent," but we do have a lot to make up when it comes to lost experience. Alot of our younger, inexperienced players are more talented than those they are replacing; they just don't have all of the experience yet.

JC, I know where you're coming from. I said the same thing after Coastal's 2006 playoff season. Granted, you guys aren't losing 36 seniors like we did that year, so I don't expect Liberty to experience too big of a drop-off.

Another aspect that many people don't take into account is team leadership/chemistry. IMO, that's been one thing that CCU has lacked the past two seasons (i.e.// arrests, playing down to a lesser opponent's competition, playing lax when we have a sizeable lead & allowing a team to come back, etc.). How would you describe this trait for this year's Liberty squad?

jcmanson
July 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
That’s a great question ‘zilla, and quite honestly I’m not sure. Last year that was one of our biggest strengths. We still have a handful of veteran leaders (Chris Rocco, Bryan Mosier, Trey Jacobs, Wes Cheek), but most of the offense will consist of underclassmen being thrust into the spotlight. How well the leadership and chemistry is on that side of the ball will likely determine how well we are able to defend our championship.

EagleDawg
July 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
I think the two posters after ElCid83 makes his point for him. If you have more talent sitting behind better experience and win with that approach then experience obviously trumps talent, at least in the eyes of the only person that gets a say, the head coach.

If you are constantly losing with experienced players then better talent is surely to help change course.

If you are a 50/50 club (wins/losses) and start a lot of underclassmen, then it stands to reason you've got pretty good talent that just needs more experience and they are getting it while taking some lumps on the field. I believe that is pretty much where the GWU Runnin Bulldogs were last year which makes this season look promising. They have good to excellent returning talent at most positions who now have more experience.

ElCid83 has got it right on this one I believe but we'll have to wait a couple more months to find out for sure. Only 65 days til the opener.

Go Runnin Bulldogs!!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
July 2nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
My NC Central "Eagles" will Play Liberty on 9-12-09.
http://nccueaglepride.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/nccu-m-footbl-sched.html

Good Luck to Both Teams during the up-coming Football season.

Take Care!

gobluehose1
July 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
My NC Central "Eagles" will Play Liberty on 9-12-09.
http://nccueaglepride.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/nccu-m-footbl-sched.html

Good Luck to Both Teams during the up-coming Football season.

Take Care!

when you guys gonna join our conference?

elcid83
July 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM

I'll never say anything is not possible in football, but, if Liberty wins the Big South this year after losing all of the talent they lost it does not bode well for any other Big South school. Those schools may never have a chance at a conference crown.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

SuperJon
July 3rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Another aspect that many people don't take into account is team leadership/chemistry. IMO, that's been one thing that CCU has lacked the past two seasons (i.e.// arrests, playing down to a lesser opponent's competition, playing lax when we have a sizeable lead & allowing a team to come back, etc.). How would you describe this trait for this year's Liberty squad?

I think the leadership is there, especially on defense. From watching spring ball, the leaders definitely stepped up on that side of the ball. Add that to the fifth year that Ian Childress was granted, and we've got the leadership on that side. We've got three guys that are named as captains but there are another 2-3 guys that could've been in that same position.

As for offense, we don't have as many leaders, but we do have a couple. The three captains that were named are really the only guys that, right now, could be the leaders. The offense will be the question mark this year but the talent is there. It's a matter of it all clicking for them.

I think that this year it will be our defense that carries us through the season. The past two years we've been led by the offense, but I really think the defense really has the potential to be special. When you look at the scores we gave up last year (shutouts vs Stony Brook and CSU, only giving up ten points to GW) you can see that we've got the chance to do something great on that side of the ball.

jcmanson
July 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
SJ, you forgot our defense's most impressive performance of the year last year: the 3 points given up against Elon.

SuperJon
July 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Didn't forget it, was only talking about conference games. We're not going to the playoffs this year so I'm more focused on how we do in conference.

zilla
July 3rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
You Liberty guys also forgot the 38 points that Coastal put up against that Flames' defense back in October! xlolx

And before you two say anything, I know your boys scored five points more.

SuperJon
July 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I don't forget it. That's why I said the potential. We had games where our defense was lights out and others where we gave up a lot of points (you guys and PC come to mind right off hand). Things started to click towards the end of the season when we only gave up 13 points total in the final two games. If we can carry that over to this year we should be in good shape.

Redwyn
July 4th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I love the energy comin out about G-Webb, Coastal, and Liberty's chances of becoming conference champ. Clearly the fact that we can have a discussion like this shows that the conference is moving forward in competitiveness and overall strength.

However, aren't we forgetting a certain force from New York who tied for 2nd in the conference without a full scholarship allocation? I'm very high on Stony Brook at the moment. Not because I'm a Seawolves alum, but because the program has a fantastic coach and has been on a steep upwards trajectory over the past few years.

Overall, we return 15 starters from last season, including what is now by a long shot the best running game in the Big South. In training camp it seems that not all 15 of those players will be starting in the fall, most notably due to the presence of a former 4 star QB prospect on the roster, and several prep redshirts. The roster is bigger, faster, and much deeper than at any time in SBU history, which usually suggests that if we could pull off what we did last year, we could do better this year. The coach is a warrior, and, when it comes down to the wire, we know the coach can tip the scales of a team's success.

Now of course, lots depends on whose star player gets injured first ::knocks on wood:: and such, but I cannottt wait for a fantastic season. Already got my season tickets!

jcmanson
July 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I think the final game of the season (Liberty @ SBU) will be the conference championship game.

SuperJon
July 4th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Nobody is forgetting Stony Brook. We know they've got the potential to take that next step. They're just unproven. They don't have any experience at winning. It takes most teams a year before they go from a so-so team to a great team because they have to learn to win. Stony Brook can be very scary this year, but they showed last year that there are games where they simply don't show up. If they can show up in every game, they might surprise some people.

g-webb1994
July 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Stony Brook does have the advantage of getting Liberty and Coastal at their place.

Libertine
July 4th, 2009, 11:34 PM
On paper, Stony Brook should be good but the results from last year are just baffling. They blew a sizable halftime lead to Colgate, hung with Elon and Maine but then didn't score an offensive TD for four straight weeks until CSU came to town. If the Bucs hadn't shanked three extra point attempts and Coastal hadn't fumbled three straight punt returns the following week, those would have been two more lossses that would have sunk the Seawolves to the bottom of the standings. Then, to close out the year, they give away a home game to Gardner-Webb and follow that up with blowout wins over Iona and VMI.
Personally, I think like a lot of people that Stony Brook has the resources and the wherewithal to be a force in the Big South but last year's team was alternately very impressive and not impressive at all.

Redwyn
July 5th, 2009, 06:20 AM
On paper, Stony Brook should be good but the results from last year are just baffling. They blew a sizable halftime lead to Colgate, hung with Elon and Maine but then didn't score an offensive TD for four straight weeks until CSU came to town. If the Bucs hadn't shanked three extra point attempts and Coastal hadn't fumbled three straight punt returns the following week, those would have been two more lossses that would have sunk the Seawolves to the bottom of the standings. Then, to close out the year, they give away a home game to Gardner-Webb and follow that up with blowout wins over Iona and VMI.
Personally, I think like a lot of people that Stony Brook has the resources and the wherewithal to be a force in the Big South but last year's team was alternately very impressive and not impressive at all.

I definitely agree with that. It was absolutely dreadful seeing our play vs. Elon, where it just seemed like they expected to lose. The SBU way is to play at the level others expect them to. Should be interesting to see if they can break that mold this year....

Seawolf97
July 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I think the final game of the season (Liberty @ SBU) will be the conference championship game.

I second that ! It will be a good onexthumbsupx

elcid83
July 6th, 2009, 08:24 AM
For you Stony Brook fans - in looking at your most recent recruiting class it appears that your coaches are relying very heavily on the Jr. College network. It looks like more than 1/2 of your recruits have played for smaller west coast colleges. Is this a new thing for Stony Brook or has this been the case for your last 4 recruiting classes?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

GREAT RIVER DAWG
July 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!
already has. Has been seen at Barnes & Nobles in Richmond VA

GREAT RIVER DAWG
July 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
For you Stony Brook fans - in looking at your most recent recruiting class it appears that your coaches are relying very heavily on the Jr. College network. It looks like more than 1/2 of your recruits have played for smaller west coast colleges. Is this a new thing for Stony Brook or has this been the case for your last 4 recruiting classes?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!
Heard that P. Steele picks Gardner-Webb to win Big South!

elcid83
July 6th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Heard that P. Steele picks Gardner-Webb to win Big South!

Sounds like a pretty smart guy to me.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Libertine
July 6th, 2009, 12:16 PM

I don't know if this is the Stony Brook standard but, typically, when programs expand their scholarship numbers as SBU is doing they usually end up hitting JuCo's pretty hard just to fill out their numbers with some game-ready talent. I remember CSU doing that when they decided to jump up to full-schollie and their Signing Day list that year was 35-40 names long.

elcid83
July 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I don't know if this is the Stony Brook standard but, typically, when programs expand their scholarship numbers as SBU is doing they usually end up hitting JuCo's pretty hard just to fill out their numbers with some game-ready talent. I remember CSU doing that when they decided to jump up to full-schollie and their Signing Day list that year was 35-40 names long.

Libertine,

What is the talk at Liberty about QB, Tommy Beecher. I watched him fall on his face in his lone start against NC State last season when he played for the Gamecocks. We know he's not a D-I QB, but he ought to be pretty good in the Big South. Any word?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Seawolf97
July 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Couldnt agree more. You never knew which team was going to take the field. Hopefully that is all history this year and we get off to a good start.

Libertine
July 7th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Libertine,

What is the talk at Liberty about QB, Tommy Beecher. I watched him fall on his face in his lone start against NC State last season when he played for the Gamecocks. We know he's not a D-I QB, but he ought to be pretty good in the Big South. Any word?

First of all, the Big South is still D-I. xsmiley_wix

I haven't seen him work with the team myself but I know that he's made a total commitment to the program even if he'll only be in it for one year. During our spring practice, he came up from S. Carolina on the weekends to observe and get a jump on the offense and how the team operates. He was also meeting and working out with the rest of the players the first day that he was allowed to do so. Typically, guys who transfer into our program are a little slow adjusting but, as far as I know, he's right in there with the rest of them. I think we'll probably have to wait until August to see if he's the guy who was good enough to start for an SEC school or if he's the guy who flamed out on ESPN but everything seems positive right now.