PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Tailgating Ideas

Appinator
June 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM
As the long off-season drags along in the heat of summer, I have been missing my beautiful fall football afternoons more and more.

So I had an idea.

The next best thing to me other than being AT a tailgate is planning a tailgate, swapping ideas, and showing off past set-ups. Therefore, in preparation to the 2009 season, I believe that we should all go through a "summer workout" of our fan-hood.

This thread is to show off your school's tailgating traditions, share some of your tailgating ideas and recipes, and pictures of past tailgate experiences.

Note: I know that some of these ideas can not be directly "Football Related" but seeing am really looking for ideas AND tailgating tradition, I thought this thread would be best served here, instead of in the lounge or anywhere else.

Appinator
June 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM
To get the thread started, I thought I would share my most recent project that I am thinking about putting together. I have buddy from here at work who is a pretty big NC State tailgater.

We were talking today at lunch, and we started talking about TV set-ups for tailgating sessions. He said that he had a lawn-mower battery that he has hooked up to a power inverter, which he uses to power a 20-inch TV for tailgating purposes. He said that he hasn’t had any problems with the power lasting a good 4-5 hours, but he hasn’t had to have the digital converter box that is now required to pick up a signal, so that might drain a little more off the battery. When he gets home, he just hooks the battery up to a charger for the next trip. I am thinking about giving it a shot.

Has anyone else seen similar things? What I am really trying to avoid is having to buy a generator or drain down our car battery.

andy7171
June 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
With enough beer and girls, there is no need for a 20" TV!

ASUG8
June 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
We have some rabid Clemson fans here who use gas generators to power their direct TV and 32" flat screens. It's apparently an all day affair here, maybe worth attending a game to see what all the fuss is about (it sure isn't football).

Appinator
June 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Girls and beer are definitely not a problem. All of our wives have at least a few sorority friends each that stop buy, so there are always plenty skirts hanging around and everyone in our group have been well known to throw back a good number of frosty ones.

g-webb1994
June 29th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Plenty of this makes any tailgate....
http://grandcolonial.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/crown-royal.jpg

xthumbsupx

89Hen
June 29th, 2009, 03:31 PM

xthumbsupx
Good thing for you I gave up neg reps. The Queen's pizz. xoopsx xnonono2x

KiddBrewer
June 29th, 2009, 03:33 PM
http://grandcolonial.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/crown-royal.jpg

xthumbsupx

Nice, but id rather have some of this.....

http://www.cookerati.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/southern-comfort.jpg

:Dxthumbsupx

Appinator
June 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
We have some rabid Clemson fans here who use gas generators to power their direct TV and 32" flat screens. It's apparently an all day affair here, maybe worth attending a game to see what all the fuss is about (it sure isn't football).

We have been trying to make it an all day affair up in Raley too. Our group has a pretty good spread for this next year: full size grill, 10x10 tent, etc. I just think having the TV there would be a good idea too.

ASUG8
June 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
We have been trying to make it an all day affair up in Raley too. Our group has a pretty good spread for this next year: full size grill, 10x10 tent, etc. I just think having the TV there would be a good idea too.

We used to do that until they made it permit only xbawlingx I may have to crash your party when I'm up there xsmiley_wix

appmaj
June 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Cornhole!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2572/3673184328_b7ce9a1dc7.jpg?v=0

eaglewithabus
June 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
we take every friday off before home games and get to our tailgate spot thursday evening. park the bus, set up the tent, get the grills going, cook moonshine, lay out ladder golf and cornhole, get ripped drunk, ride golf carts around, hit up bars thursday night. we used to play campus golf on friday where you took turns picking what the green and target would be and we would walk all over campus stroking golf balls around. now I have to cut the grass at my tailgating spot since I started taking winter rye down two weeks before the season and overseading our spots so we can cut cool patterns into our manacured lawn. we spend the night on the bus thursday friday and saturday night. clean up on sunday and drive home hung over as hell.

McNeese72
June 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I've got too many photos to post but directly across the street from McNeese's Westside Reserved Tailgating Area, we have this:

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/sam07tgff1.jpg

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/sam07tgff2.jpg

Very nice for those hot September and October home games.

Doc

elcid83
June 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Just got my Gardner-Webb tent and cornhole set for Daddy Day so I am now officially ready for my first season of Gardner-Webb football! I will combine that with my trailer hitch mountable Freedom Grill and a cooler full of beer and be good to go. First thing off of the grill will be prosciutto wrapped large scallops with a touch of yellow bbq sauce. Come on September 5!

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Appinator
June 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
we take every friday off before home games and get to our tailgate spot thursday evening. park the bus, set up the tent, get the grills going, cook moonshine, lay out ladder golf and cornhole, get ripped drunk, ride golf carts around, hit up bars thursday night. we used to play campus golf on friday where you took turns picking what the green and target would be and we would walk all over campus stroking golf balls around. now I have to cut the grass at my tailgating spot since I started taking winter rye down two weeks before the season and overseading our spots so we can cut cool patterns into our manacured lawn. we spend the night on the bus thursday friday and saturday night. clean up on sunday and drive home hung over as hell.

Now THAT is a weekend.

AppSt.09
June 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
We have an old ranger that we spent the week after the Michigan game painting Black with yellow hot-rod inspired stripes. we also have full grill with an 8x8 tent and a 10x10 App Tent. It also has twenty foot flag poles mounted to the bed with with mounts for our external speakers. We won four spots for the SC State game last year and only used two cars so we had it set up across all four spots. It was pretty impressive.

SCPALADIN
June 29th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Eat
Drink

Rinse
Repeat

xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

g-webb1994
June 29th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Just got my Gardner-Webb tent and cornhole set for Daddy Day so I am now officially ready for my first season of Gardner-Webb football! I will combine that with my trailer hitch mountable Freedom Grill and a cooler full of beer and be good to go. First thing off of the grill will be prosciutto wrapped large scallops with a touch of yellow bbq sauce. Come on September 5!

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Hint....careful with the brew there elcid, the power hungry rent-a-cops at G-W now have full arrest authority, and have been known to show their ass in the past since G-W is an 'alcohol-free' campus.xlolx They've done a great job here recently railroading the wrestling program.xmadx

Of course, back in my days there, I kept a fifth in my golf bag during dorm inspections, and back then, they sold Coca-Cola in a small 12 oz. plastic cup at the games, simple trip to the john with drink in hand and ziploc bag in pocket, no problemo.xnodx Of course, it wasn't Crown back in those days....Jack or Wild Turkey was the norm.

Anyway, the scallops sound tasty.xthumbsupxxbeerchugx

DLS
June 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM
tailgate for dls = how much free beer and food can i bum off sororities.

side note:

discovered my new definitive pregame highlight video for the season . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKjYLOi_T20

best ever.

YoUDeeMan
June 29th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Georgia Southern crop circles?!?!?! xeekx

xlolx

YoUDeeMan
June 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Got cut off during my rep points blurb...outstanding post! xthumbsupx

g-webb1994
June 29th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I've got too many photos to post but directly across the street from McNeese's Westside Reserved Tailgating Area, we have this:

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/sam07tgff1.jpg

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/images/sam07tgff2.jpg

Very nice for those hot September and October home games.

Doc

What's nice, the slurpee machines, or the cute little coed leaning over the bar smiling at you?xeyebrowx

ASUMountaineer
June 30th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Cornhole!

Nice boards. I agree, we always have the boards out.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=34582205&l=1fb54d008f&id=29718751

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=34582206&l=c7d3b3ce9d&id=29718751

McNeese72
June 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
What's nice, the slurpee machines, or the cute little coed leaning over the bar smiling at you?xeyebrowx

Slurpees??? I want you to know that them thar are "frozen concoction" makers. :)

Doc

andy7171
June 30th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Slurpees??? I want you to know that them thar are "frozen concoction" makers. :)

Doc

There used to be a bar here in Baltimore called Fat Tuesdays that had all those slurpee machines. We used to get sloshed trying to taste them all. xthumbsupx

GSUhooligan
June 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/tjtheman007/23676_8a52199a-123e-4bcb-b.jpg

Hellz Yeah.

El_Cid_99
June 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/tjtheman007/23676_8a52199a-123e-4bcb-b.jpg

Hellz Yeah.

I've seen a few guys use one of these for late season games at Virginia Tech. They towed it behind their RV. Very nice for those cold November evenings in Blacksburg.

Down here in Charleston, we've got:
1. 10x10 tent
2. full size grill (the low-end Charbroil model from Lowe's)
3. 17' flagpole with two Citadel flags,
4. portable satellite dish with DirecTV hooked up to 20" flatscreen
5. stereo (and by stereo I mean a 15 year old boombox)
6. a couple of tables
7. coolers
8. plenty of chairs
9. a concrete Bulldog statue
10. two recycling bins
11. one trashcan
11a. a crockpot, but most of our games are too hot to bother with it.

Any suggestions from you family men out there who bring small children to the games? Since most of our friends are now showing up with with one or two kids in tow, I'd like to accomodate the little ones as well.

813Jag
June 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Doc
I was going to say the same thing. xlolx Slurpees have nothing on a good daquari. xlolx

AppIAA
June 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM

How are you powering this? Generator? I have a similar setup, minus the tv -- I want to get one, but I cant convince myself to by a generator when that is the only use it will get..

Appinator
June 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM
4. portable satellite dish with DirecTV hooked up to 20" flatscreen[QUOTE]

[QUOTE=AppIAA;1363270]How are you powering this? Generator? I have a similar setup, minus the tv -- I want to get one, but I cant convince myself to by a generator when that is the only use it will get..

Exactly my question too. I have been able to find generators, but I can't bring myself to buy one for price and noise reason's, hence my original battery idea/question.

AppIAA
June 30th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Exactly my question too. I have been able to find generators, but I can't bring myself to buy one for price and noise reason's, hence my original battery idea/question.

The battery idea seems like it would work.. I'm thinking of possibly 2 batteries, 2 power inverters.. Unless someone has an even better idea!

El_Cid_99
June 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM
All of that is able to be powered by a variety of sources, depending on kickoff time and whether or not the other games we want to watch are on regular network TV or cable. If I can pick up the games we want on regular TV, then I don't bother with the dish unless there happens to be another SoCon game on that I want to see.

I do have a Honda 1000i generator. It weighs less than 30 lbs and is super quiet. I guess I have the benefit of being in hurricane territory so a generator purchase is somewhat warranted. I saved about $200 by buying mine off of Craigslist. You could probably do the same.

If I don't use the generator, I do also have a deep cycle marine battery with a pretty heavy duty inverter, but the battery weighs about 60 lbs and will only power the TV and receiver for a few hours before the juice starts getting low.

If you can swing it, the generator is the way to go.

Panther88
June 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3605/3610505675_6a0c625856.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3561/3610505015_53e357ff42.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3342/3611315572_b5cf31997b.jpg
I had this built earlier this spring and we actually used it during PV's spring game in April. It performed quite well but I've done my best to help w/ the seaoning of it (burn good oak/pecan as much as possible). In fact, I'll be using it again this w/e.

We've dubbed our tailgate crew 3P Tailgaters but I informed the guys we're currently @ v2.0 as last fall was just a start for us.

This is what we currently do:
1. 3 12x12 tents where 1 tent (the dark one xreadx ) houses the projection unit that is connected to DirectTV and another 25in TV.
2. 2 generators @ our disposal
3. Daiquiri maker
4. Blender
5. Var tables to serve/house/hold food
6. Var coolers for "refreshments" ;)
7. 1 12' flag attached to the bbq pit
8. 2 12' flags around the tailgate area

I have a 24ft RV trailer but nothing to pull it w/. lol Last year, I allowed a cousin to drive my 3/4 ton truck and he wrecked it. So, I'm still trying to figure out what to do about that.

Menu wise, we'll bbq chicken, burgers, hot dogs, var sausages (deer/pork), brisket, ribs, and wild hog (i'm sneaking that in on them this fall xlolx ). I'm personally adding this: Bacon wrapped Jalapeno poppers! ;)

Not sure of the hard liquors that are evident. lol I'm not a true drinker but I DO know there are eons of bottles of stuff I cannot recall w/ the words "top shelf" floating around the tailgate area. lol

El_Cid_99
July 1st, 2009, 05:42 AM
That's a great setup Panther. I wish I had that kind of room. We use two parking spaces in the lot I'm currently in, but even that gets kind of tight.

Appinator
July 1st, 2009, 07:50 AM
I had this built earlier this spring and we actually used it during PV's spring game in April. It performed quite well but I've done my best to help w/ the seaoning of it (burn good oak/pecan as much as possible). In fact, I'll be using it again this w/e.

We've dubbed our tailgate crew 3P Tailgaters but I informed the guys we're currently @ v2.0 as last fall was just a start for us.

1. 3 12x12 tents where 1 tent (the dark one xreadx ) houses the projection unit that is connected to DirectTV and another 25in TV.
3. Daiquiri maker
4. Blender

I have a 24ft RV trailer but nothing to pull it w/. lol Last year, I allowed a cousin to drive my 3/4 ton truck and he wrecked it. So, I'm still trying to figure out what to do about that.

Menu wise, we'll bbq chicken, burgers, hot dogs, var sausages (deer/pork), brisket, ribs, and wild hog (i'm sneaking that in on them this fall xlolx ). I'm personally adding this: Bacon wrapped Jalapeno poppers! ;)

Not sure of the hard liquors that are evident. lol I'm not a true drinker but I DO know there are eons of bottles of stuff I cannot recall w/ the words "top shelf" floating around the tailgate area. lol

That's a great setup Panther. I wish I had that kind of room. We use two parking spaces in the lot I'm currently in, but even that gets kind of tight.

Great set up indeed.

That is kind of the problem with our arrangement. With the Yosef club, you have to shell out some big money for more than one parking space where we are at. Last year, we were on the end of a row for Raley lot and we were lucky because we could use the side and the back of the space for our set up. It's kind of up in the air again, as we don't know if we'll have the same spot or be somewhere else, so I am just banking on having one tent.

On the other hand, having a packed lot full of fans isn't that bad of a deal either. Lots of "talent" on hand, and everyone is willing to share food and brews.

Panther88
July 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM

We're in the boonies so it's room galore El_Cid. For now, the athletic dept rolls in our on-campus parking fees as part of the season tix pkg. Our parking is essentially 'free' and we're allowed to spread out as we please in an adjoining parking lot near the stadium. Normally, there's another group or two or three lol that will combine w/ our deal so it looks much, much bigger.

AppStsGr8
July 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
We were on the last row in the stadium lot last few years. I love having the extra room behind us. Don't know where we'll end up this year.

Gotta go with the grilled buffalo wings with plenty of hot sauce for the main course and plenty of folks around for sharing. Is it September yet?

SuperEagle
July 2nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
To get the thread started, I thought I would share my most recent project that I am thinking about putting together. I have buddy from here at work who is a pretty big NC State tailgater.

We were talking today at lunch, and we started talking about TV set-ups for tailgating sessions. He said that he had a lawn-mower battery that he has hooked up to a power inverter, which he uses to power a 20-inch TV for tailgating purposes. He said that he hasn’t had any problems with the power lasting a good 4-5 hours, but he hasn’t had to have the digital converter box that is now required to pick up a signal, so that might drain a little more off the battery. When he gets home, he just hooks the battery up to a charger for the next trip. I am thinking about giving it a shot.

Has anyone else seen similar things? What I am really trying to avoid is having to buy a generator or drain down our car battery.
As others have said, I also use a marine battery. Mine has lasted up to 8 hours before. Course I have a charger at home so it's always fully charged. I think the marine battery is the way to go. Good luck. I love a good tailgate.

elon77
July 2nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Cornhole!

Now remember this is through the eyes of an Elon Grad, but there isn't a better sight than a young female college student playing cornhole in stiletto high heels and a mini skirt. It makes an old fart scratch his head.

elon77
July 2nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
I've seen a few guys use one of these for late season games at Virginia Tech. They towed it behind their RV. Very nice for those cold November evenings in Blacksburg.

Down here in Charleston, we've got:
1. 10x10 tent
2. full size grill (the low-end Charbroil model from Lowe's)
3. 17' flagpole with two Citadel flags,
5. stereo (and by stereo I mean a 15 year old boombox)
6. a couple of tables
7. coolers
8. plenty of chairs
9. a concrete Bulldog statue
10. two recycling bins
11. one trashcan
11a. a crockpot, but most of our games are too hot to bother with it.

Any suggestions from you family men out there who bring small children to the games? Since most of our friends are now showing up with with one or two kids in tow, I'd like to accomodate the little ones as well.

Nail one foot to the ground and give them some cherrios or tie them to a tree and throw them some chicken bones. Just kidding, it can be a problem. Have you thought about bringing a baby sitter to the game?

bobcatalum05
July 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM

Hellz Yeah.

Is this your set-up? Do you buy it or make it yourself? Details man.

El_Cid_99
July 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Nail one foot to the ground and give them some cherrios or tie them to a tree and throw them some chicken bones. Just kidding, it can be a problem. Have you thought about bringing a baby sitter to the game?

No, but that's not a bad idea. I have actually floated the idea of a 'kid zone' at our stadium before (climbing wall, jump castle, etc.), which would be great if you did bring a babysitter.

VMI actually had a climbing wall behind one end zone on the track at our game there in 2007. It was packed with kids the entire game. If they can do it INSIDE the stadium, surely we could find a spot to do the same type of thing.

biggie
July 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Babysitter seems to equal the grass hill at app. Does well when they won't sit still in the stands.

813Jag
July 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM

3. Daiquiri maker
4. Blender

I know that's going to be at Mumford right? I'll make the trip just to tailgate. xlolx

813Jag
July 2nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Great set up indeed.

That is kind of the problem with our arrangement. With the Yosef club, you have to shell out some big money for more than one parking space where we are at. Last year, we were on the end of a row for Raley lot and we were lucky because we could use the side and the back of the space for our set up. It's kind of up in the air again, as we don't know if we'll have the same spot or be somewhere else, so I am just banking on having one tent.

On the other hand, having a packed lot full of fans isn't that bad of a deal either. Lots of "talent" on hand, and everyone is willing to share food and brews.
The Southern way is to get there early and monopolize as many spots as possible. It was funny a couple of years ago Alcorn added a seprate price for tailgating so we hid the stuff in the trunk and paid the $5 parking fee and had a great time with the rest of the jags.