PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Scoreboard Replays?

Wildcat80
June 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
An older article but my questions is since not all games are on TV...why not use the stadium replay to review controversial calls?? Every team might then get a new scoreboard with replay screen.xthumbsupx

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/BORD21_20090520-222220/268986/

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Not all teams have the finances for a proper scoreboard and even then, not all programs could rely to have quality enough replays to determine controversial calls. If not all FBS conferences can secure such a thing, how could FCS conferences, who are further cash-strapped?

Keep in mind, you need a TV on the field, an additional official in the press box, etc. And you can not just show the replay on the big screen. Just think about the current rules in place for showing replays on the replay board.

In basketball - most leagues say if the game is televised and/or if there is a replay monitor courtside, they can review several things. Yet, I think that is the wrong move. Needs to be consistent - namely in conference play. If not all can provide it in conference, it is out.

Gringer1
June 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Replay to review tough calls is kind of a gray area. Some officials butcher calls like they have some kind of inside joke going on, so I'd love to take away any excuse to miss one. But on the other hand, I don't like how replays slow the game down and turn it into micro managed "lawyer ball." I think the best solution is to have a more open post game objection type of system. Too often a coach will be fined or otherwise penalized for saying "hey, I think the officials missed too many calls today." I know that every official is going to make some bad calls, but it's unfair to completely silence coaches from mentioning the performance of particular refs. So, my proposal: don't start using replay, but hold the refs more accountable for their performance and let coaches voice some opinion.

I-AA Fan
June 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I am not certain I understand what they are asking?

1. Televised IA college games are covered by numerous cameras and angles. One of the numerous reasons that I-AA/FCS does not have replay is that many small communities do not have TV media coverage, and if they do ...not to the degree of the number of cameras required. So, it would be up to the institutions themselves to broadcast the games to a standard meeting the NCAA/conference replay guidelines. Most schools cover only in B&W for team film use. How many I-AA schools are actually in a city that has television stations? Not as many as one would think. If you happen to be in an area that has a BCS/IA team, then they are not going to waste the money on the I-AA/FCS school. Next thing you know, the networks will be asking for feeds from all the schools, which would be nice, but unfair & too expensive.

2. Seems to me you are more concerned with the fans to be able to see these replays. Honestly, the team I follow has had a video board for years. However, their video board went down for a couple of seasons back and they had no game footage for a couple of years, now it is back. It is very expensive & when it needed replaced, they could not afford it. Finally they replaced it. However, I have never seen an official use this. I know they have an officials booth, that takes the feeds (can be used when needed), along with the coaches booths, and any media in booths ...all get the video. It can also go to a few TV's located in some special areas in the stadium ...the HOF, loges and the bar. Then they pump the radio audio along the concession areas.

I am against replay in general, it is nice to have the video at the game though.