PDA

View Full Version : Roper to Montana

boonegoon
June 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Does this change anything for the Griz?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4291816

Uncle Rico's Clan
June 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I don't know if it changes things drastically. For the most part our quarterbacks don't have too much game experience, Selle has about a half game, Larson has more game time than Selle but not as a quarterback and Kemp has no game time. Selle and Larson have the advantage at this point because they know the system, but if Roper is everything people are hoping for it will make for a good quarterback battle in August. I would say at this point it increases the competition for the starting job.

Hellgate60
June 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I wonder if Roper does get the starting position if they move Larson back to receiver

BarefootApp
June 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I think it is a good grab for the grizzes. Good job. Mariani's got to be excited.

griz&beer
June 27th, 2009, 05:15 PM
This is a big plus, the only thing left is if we get Bob Alt. The Griz are small at DE.

mtgrizfan4life
June 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Now the GRIZ have 4 inexperienced qbs battling it out. Larson and Kemp can play other positions though, and should see playing time if they are not playing QB. Larson has played WR, and if KAZ leaves the team that opens up that position. Kemp is a big play waiting to happen at any skill position. Maybe the GRIZ use him in various package in the backfield and slot.

Roper coming to Montana is great for everyone. Welcome to GRIZNATION Justin, friends, and family.

mtgrizfan4life
June 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Over/under how many times GRIZNATION hear something like this from our play by play guy and/or our public address announcer.
"Roper to Mariani, that is good for another........................................... ......."

"TOUCHDOWN"................................"MONTANA"

I like how that sounds already.

This should make for a very heated fallcamp at the qb position.

Ronbo
June 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Justin Roper is on the same level Craig Ochs was only taller. It will make Montana very dangerous through the air. From what I've seen Roper is deadly accurate.

Roper's 4 TD passes in the 2007 Sun Bowl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUIicVfKlM&feature=related)

laxVik
June 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Justin Roper is on the same level Craig Ochs was only taller. It will make Montana very dangerous through the air. From what I've seen Roper is deadly accurate.

Roper's 4 TD passes in the 2007 Sun Bowl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUIicVfKlM&feature=related)As a duk fan "deadly" accurate is a stretch. He was quite good but under throws quite a bit. Nevertheless he's a great pick up for the Griz.

WyomingGrizFan
June 27th, 2009, 09:54 PM

To be quit honest and as objective as possible, if that's at all possible being that I'm a Griz fan no less, I though that since last year that the Griz had an excellent chance to getting back to Chattanooga this coming season; of course, that's with an..."it all depends"...attached to it. For instance, the depth of the offensive line being really only two deep across the board. That still concerns me and hopefully we get plenty more walk-ons/transfers & underclassmen development in that area. It sure wouldn't hurt any. We really only have two starters back on the OL with Horn @ LT & Hillesland @ RG; though Dyk as a fill-in last year @ RT did garner BSC Honorable Mention.

All else considered, even without Roper coming in, this is perhaps potentially the deepest the offense has been in nearly forty years of my following the Griz. The top three TEs (Beaudin, Overton & Pfahler) are back, the two H-backs (Klaboe & Donaldson) are back. Top two of three WRs in Palmer & Mariani are back with some promising youngsters in Cady, Gratton & Buckles; last years' rushing leader in Chase Reynolds along with the possibility of Dan Moore, if his PR is accurate, & Brooks-Fletcher having his best year to date, at least from what I hear. The offense is somewhat loaded to say the least. All we needed was for a QB to get them the ball and stand back and watch what happens sort of deal. If Aaron Pflugrad decides to show up as well, most definitely an accurate assessment on offensive prowess there. IMHO But it all depends, rushing and passing efficiency relies on blocking schemes being effective, of course, but at this time of year as well as throughout, I think some of the younger OL might make the fold and the transition a lot easier. It all looks great on paper none the less. xrulesx

The defense has the CBs & Safeties, for the most part, somewhat young @ the LB position (McSurdy & Shaw), but still having Campbell, Bauer, Lebsock @ Fisher back helps, along with that some youth development on the DL should help; especially if DT Carson Bender is back at 100 %, that will really help out immensely, but not critically. A wait and see there. DEs may not be big but Fetherston is a BSC 1st Teamer in the making. All in all, a pretty good defense to campaign with. xcoffeex

I hope Roper coming into the mix helps out more than it would depreciate, I certainly would think so, at least at the moment. But I was kind of expecting something like this to happen anyways, not anyone specifically per se, transferring in that is, it seems to happen every year anyways, so it becomes just something easy for me to live with these days; I mean, after Drew Miller led us to the NC in 2000, Craig Ochs in 2004, Josh Swogger to the Final Four of the FCS Playoffs in 2006, I hope there's a momentum thread there building, so to speak. All well and good. He did start for Oregon as a sophomore, granted, but at 6' 6" and only 205 lbs? That's kinda slim in my book though. I would've hoped that he'd hit the weightroom a little better; maybe it won't matter much. Especially if he doesn't get sacked much. We did lead the BSC in sacks allowed last year and still made it to the NC where it was our downfall. Bergquist being a scrambling QB with deceptive speed helped us out of many a difficult situation last year, to say the least. With the OL coach in Chad Germer, the general rumor is a better feeling for blocking on passing downs, since he does have a developed reputation along those lines. Nothing against Kaligis, I hope he does well at Wyoming, but there seems to be a better feeling about Germer in Grizzlyville for OL development & efficiency these days. I sure hope it turns out for the best. Keeping my fingers crossed for another good season. xreadx

Grizo406
June 28th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I sure hope Roper doesn't get rattled when he sees all the fans at our home games!xlolxxlolxxlolx

uofmman1122
June 28th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I really wanted to see a Montana native QB under center again, and I'm kinda bummed that Andrew Selle, who I've known since Middle School and graduated high school with, might not have as good of a chance now.

But if Roper really is the best QB option we have, then I'm all for it.

already123
June 28th, 2009, 02:34 AM
he wont play.
he should have chosen UMass IMO

uofmman1122
June 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM
he wont play.
he should have chosen UMass IMOWhat makes you say that?

uofmman1122
June 28th, 2009, 03:36 AM
But I was kind of expecting something like this to happen anyways, not anyone specifically per se, transferring in that is, it seems to happen every year anyways, so it becomes just something easy for me to live with these days; I mean, after Drew Miller led us to the NC in 2000, Craig Ochs in 2004, Josh Swogger to the Final Four of the FCS Playoffs in 2006, I hope there's a momentum thread there building, so to speak.Not to be a downer, since I'm optimistic about our QB whomever it is this fall, but I see you left Jason Washington off that list.

That's a rather glaring exception. xlolx

Grizball
June 28th, 2009, 03:55 AM
JW definitely was an exception. The Griz were 4-1 when JW went out with injury. He never did get his spot back.

He was 53-98, 535 yds, 4td-2int in his short stint. Not eye-popping. Nowhere near disastrous.

uofmman, you seem to want to imply he was the reason the Griz didn't do as well in the playoffs that year...

JALMOND
June 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Listening to some Duck fans, the loss of Roper was pretty big. For the Griz to pick him up makes an already loaded Griz team that much more dangerous. In getting a quarterback like Roper and having Weber at home this year reinforces the idea that the Griz may not have much competition for the Big Sky conference title this year. A strong possibility for a return to Chatty as well.

Ronbo
June 28th, 2009, 01:09 PM
We might get Oregon receiver Aaron Pflugrad also as his Dad is working as the WR coach at Montana and he and Roper are close teammates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrNgiP3Qck0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXitvbmaQ2k

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/13737510-41/story.csp

Hellgate60
June 28th, 2009, 04:04 PM
This is a big plus, the only thing left is if we get Bob Alt. The Griz are small at DE.

Unless I'm not aware of something recent that happened to Bobby Alt, he is going to be a grizzle bear. He is in the list of the 2009 signing class.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/pages/media_item.aspx?n=7834&m=18

Ronbo
June 28th, 2009, 05:21 PM
We are not only getting Bobby Alt but Mt. SAC's other DE also. Brett Hutter, 6'4", 245. These two will be a nice upgrade to our D-Line.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=87&f=2909&t=4333631

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiEyFxZhsGw

ChickenMan
June 28th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Seems everyone (me included) is in agreement.. a very nice pickup for ther Griz.. but where all the transfer naysayers??? Apparently those moaners only show up when the player is headed to Newark... :p

VictorG
June 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I sure hope Roper doesn't get rattled when he sees all the fans at our home games!xlolxxlolxxlolx

Just keep your kilt down. I'm sure he's seen pretty much everything else!:)

Green26
June 28th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Roper is a nice get for the Griz. He will have to learn the offense very fast or be very very good, to start right away, is my view. Selle is a smart qb with very good potential. Still unproven, tho. Larson was basically moved to receiver at the start of the summer, altho has continued to throw a bit this summer. Pflugrad decided to go to Arizona St a month ago and is already working out there, I believe. Kemp is not going to be moved to or play another position.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
June 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Roper is a nice get for the Griz. He will have to learn the offense very fast or be very very good, to start right away, is my view. Selle is a smart qb with very good potential. Still unproven, tho. Larson was basically moved to receiver at the start of the summer, altho has continued to throw a bit this summer. Pflugrad decided to go to Arizona St a month ago and is already working out there, I believe. Kemp is not going to be moved to or play another position.

He will have to sit a year if he goes to Az St right?

GOKATS
June 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Seems everyone (me included) is in agreement.. a very nice pickup for ther Griz.. but where all the transfer naysayers??? Apparently those moaners only show up when the player is headed to Newark... :p

Remains to be seen, but unless Selle and Larson were really that questionable I'm not sure he's a real prize. According to the late news last night he's 6-6, 210- that to me is a beanpole with little mobility (and I have seen some film) and the griz gave up more sacks than anyone else in the conference last year. From what I've seen (read) the griz 'O' line is still questionable. He's a drop back QB with a good arm, but if the griz 'O' line can't protect him he'll spend a lot of time on his backside.

Could be what Hauck thought was needed QB wise, we'll see...................

Green26
June 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Yes, Pflugrad will have to sit a year at Arizona St. He still has his redshirt year, so will still have 2 years to play. By the way, Kaz left the team a month or so ago.

FCS Go!
June 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
... Kaz left the team a month or so ago.

Any clue why?

Ronbo
June 28th, 2009, 11:51 PM

This makes two FBS transfers on the roster. Roper and lineman Levi Horn that came to Montana as a redshirt freshman.

How many of you can say your program has two or less FBS transfers? Can you tell us if you are under that?

uofmman1122
June 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM
JW definitely was an exception. The Griz were 4-1 when JW went out with injury. He never did get his spot back.

He was 53-98, 535 yds, 4td-2int in his short stint. Not eye-popping. Nowhere near disastrous.

uofmman, you seem to want to imply he was the reason the Griz didn't do as well in the playoffs that year...There were a lot of reasons why we didn't do very well in the playoffs that year. We played Cal Poly again, Bergquist had to step up as a freshman, we lost a ton of talent in our skill players when Segars and Heidelberger graduated, etc.

He also wasn't even playing past the fifth week, so how could he possibly have affected our playoff game? xrolleyesx

I never thought he was very good, but he was also a terrible team player, and hurt the team a lot more with his attitude than with his ability to play.

I'm just pointing out that he was a transfer that didn't work out for us. Not blaming him for us going out in the first round of the playoffs.

catatac
June 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM
This makes two FBS transfers on the roster. Roper and lineman Levi Horn that came to Montana as a redshirt freshman.

How many of you can say your program has two or less FBS transfers? Can you tell us if you are under that?

I don't know that you have a bunch of drop-downs, but your track record is definitely to get drop downs at the QB position. Not knocking it as it's worked out very well for you. Craig Ochs, Jeff Disney, Jason Washington, Josh Swogger, Drew Miller, Justin Roper... did I miss anyone? This is just how Bobby does it, and like I said, hey - go with whatever works, can't argue that!

Green26
June 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Disney was not a dropdown. Bobby Hauck wasn't around when Miller played. Ochs agreed to come to Montana when Glenn was the coach.

It's not clear to me what "Bobby does". In Hauck's 6 seasons, his qb has been Ochs for 2, Bergquist for 3 and Swogger for 1. Who wouldn't have played Ochs who had fallen in our lap during the fall before Hauck arrived? Bergquist was recruited by Hauck out of high school. Swogger was recruited once he became available. Both Ochs and Swogger were invited to the NFL combines. Bergquist was invited to a Chargers mini-camp and had several CFL opportunities, but has decided to finish school and move on with his life and not pursue football.

Thus, it looks to me that Hauck has played the best qb on the roster for 2 years (Ochs), played his high school recruit for 3 years (Bergqusit), and played a transfer he recruited for 1 year (Swogger). Another transfer came, started a few games, but didn't work out (Washigton), so Hauck went to his high school-recruited qb. Now, Roper is coming. It remains to be seen whether or how fast he can get onto the field. Ochs, Swogger and Washington all had spring ball at UM, plus all of summer practice, under their belts, when they got onto the field. Roper has alot to learn.

laxVik
June 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Roper has alot to learn.Likewise. "A lot's" two words.

FCS Go!
June 29th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Likewise. "A lot's" two words.

Get a life.

WyomingGrizFan
June 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Get a life.

What...and ruin Jerry Glanville?

apaladin
June 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Transfer U :Dxthumbsupxxnonox

laxVik
June 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
What...and ruin Jerry Glanville?Speaking of... Rumor is Robin Pflugrad ex UO wr coach is in the running for OC at PSU.

already123
June 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I say that because he is not very good

But that is just my opinion

Ronbo
June 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I say that because he is not very good

But that is just my opinion

Roper will start and he will shred your pass defense.xnodxxnodxxnodxxlolx

laxVik
June 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
...he will shred your pass defense.xnodxxnodxxnodxxlolxShame he didn't do that in the Pac 10.

catbob
June 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Well the Griz have had the best outcomes with dropdown Q's over the years comparatively to other Big Sky Schools. That could be attributed to having a much better overall team than Barnes, Guteirrez, or Waanager (forget his name exactly) had. They have a much higher success rate with them, so you gotta give em props for that I guess.

Green26
June 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
CatBob, what's "arrogant" about Mettler's supposed statement?

Montana doesn't have any pro football teams--or anyone other pro teams (other than single baseball).

The Montana football team is clearly the most followed, successful and revered sports team in the state.

I don't get your comment.

CatFan22
June 30th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Montana doesn't have any pro football teams--or anyone other pro teams (other than single baseball).

The Montana football team is clearly the most followed, successful and revered sports team in the state.

Are you that obtuse?

Green26
July 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Are Bobcat fans still upset because sons of 2 players on the 1984 Bobcat national championship team decided to play for the Griz this year, instead of the Cats?

The kids and their parents were obviously smart enough to know where the best program is at this time.

Poker Alan
July 2nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
Once the new stadium was built (I am old school, having attended games while in high school at the old Dornblaser Field), U of M established themselves as the preeminent team in the state, period.

OrygunBison
July 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4291816

Well, only if you consider winning the NC a change...

This was a big loss for Oregon. Masoli is good but it would have been nice to have Roper with his game experience behind him. Oregon relies on great performance by their QB's. That is why they generally recruit very well for the position. It is saying a lot about the Griz to have landed this guy.

See you in Chatty...

Ronbo
July 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Roper is on the same level that Craig Ochs was but 4 inches taller and a better runner. He'll improve an already stacked offense.

catbob
July 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for confirming my sig guys. :)

OrygunBison
July 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Roper is on the same level that Craig Ochs was but 4 inches taller and a better runner. He'll improve an already stacked offense.

Yeah, it has surprised me how fast Roper is. He's so damn tall that with his stride, he doesn't actually look fast.

My only concern about him is his bulk, or lack thereof. He looks like he might snap in half with a good hit. He just doesn't look the part. Good thing that his skills really offset this.

With this acquisition, I will probably follow the Griz more than I would have. Do they play in PDX this year?

Retro
July 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'd be a little concerned about why a guy with 2 years left decide's to leave a school where he's had some success, and only lost the starting job during the spring practice? If he is as good as he thinks, then you'd think he'd have the confidence to win the job back in august...

That being said, it's got to be a bit shocking for someone 6' 6" to lose out to someone 5' 11" only during the spring practice.. Make's you wonder if there is more to the situation than that...

This situation reminds me somewhat of the bobby reid story without the mike gundy rant, as reid decided to transfer because he felt betrayed by the coach.. xrolleyesx, so transfer's mainly to keep his NFL dreams alive...

Usually when player's transfer, there is more baggage than that on the field and sometimes the don't help team chemistry despite all the hype.

VictorG
July 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM

I'll have to take your word on his running ability as I'll have to wait until fall to see for myself.

IMO opinion, the key is going to be getting rid of the ball. If he can progress through his receivers any where near as good as Ochs did, it should drastically cut down on the number of sacks we give up and greatly reduce the need for his running ability. The past few years our QB's have held the ball way to long. Some of that may have been due to play calling but many times I just wanted to stand up and yell, "Throw the damn ball"!

ncbears
July 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM

well hell you jock-sniffer, let's just give UM the damn trophy already!

OrygunBison
July 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'd be a little concerned about why a guy with 2 years left decide's to leave a school where he's had some success, and only lost the starting job during the spring practice? If he is as good as he thinks, then you'd think he'd have the confidence to win the job back in august...

That being said, it's got to be a bit shocking for someone 6' 6" to lose out to someone 5' 11" only during the spring practice.. Make's you wonder if there is more to the situation than that...

This situation reminds me somewhat of the bobby reid story without the mike gundy rant, as reid decided to transfer because he felt betrayed by the coach.. xrolleyesx, so transfer's mainly to keep his NFL dreams alive...

Usually when player's transfer, there is more baggage than that on the field and sometimes the don't help team chemistry despite all the hype.

Don't read too much into it. Masoli is just that good. Nobody is going to bump him unless he plays wreckless enough to get hurt again.

CrunchGriz
July 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM

He lost the starting job, and didn't think he had a shot at getting it back, because under Chip Kelly the Ducks have gone to much more of a running/passing QB combo (Dennis Dixon was the prototype they're trying to emulate--think Armanti), so a more pure pocket passer like Roper doesn't fit the mold they're looking for. When he was recruited, Mike Belotti ran a more traditional set (Kellen Clemens and Joey Harrington ran this set, and were rarely asked to run). That's all changed with the ascension of Kelly and his offensive philosophy.

No one's claimed that Roper is a head case, or that he's some kind of locker room cancer. Duck fans, in fact, are generally a bit bummed about his leaving, which leaves the Ducks without a good experienced backup.

Retro
July 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
He lost the starting job, and didn't think he had a shot at getting it back, because under Chip Kelly the Ducks have gone to much more of a running/passing QB combo (Dennis Dixon was the prototype they're trying to emulate--think Armanti), so a more pure pocket passer like Roper doesn't fit the mold they're looking for. When he was recruited, Mike Belotti ran a more traditional set (Kellen Clemens and Joey Harrington ran this set, and were rarely asked to run). That's all changed with the ascension of Kelly and his offensive philosophy.

Good to know... Thanks for the info.xthumbsupx

OrygunBison
July 2nd, 2009, 04:44 PM

No one's claimed that Roper is a head case, or that he's some kind of locker room cancer. Duck fans, in fact, are generally a bit bummed about his leaving, which leaves the Ducks without a good experienced backup.

Perfect explanation, my fellow Oregonian.

Proud Griz Man
July 2nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for confirming my sig guys. :)

xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx

Still bummed about your clarinet getting dented at WaGriz stadium ?

You just can't seem to move past that disappointment. xbawlingx

catbob
July 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
xblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahxxblahblahx

Still bummed about your clarinet getting dented at WaGriz stadium ?

You just can't seem to move past that disappointment. xbawlingx

I'm not the one who got my panties in a wad about a sig. Get some thicker skin. xcoffeex

And no, I'm not still mad my sax got vandalized at WA Griz. But funny you seem to promote it.

laxVik
July 3rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
And no, I'm not still mad my sax got vandalized at WA Griz. LOL. I thought that was a joke. Wow, funny stuff! Why does that remind me of Woody Allen in Take the Money and Run where he played cello in the marching band -- Runs, puts a chair down, plays a bit. Runs, puts the chair down, plays a bit. xlolx

Silenoz
July 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm not the one who got my panties in a wad about a sig. Get some thicker skin. xcoffeex

And no, I'm not still mad my sax got vandalized at WA Griz. But funny you seem to promote it.

xlolx I think you've inspired me to add a new sig...something along the lines of:

Cat fan priorities:

1. Complaining about Griz fans
2. Hating the Griz
3. Rooting against the Griz
4. Bashing Missoula
5. Following the Cats

GOKATS
July 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
xlolx I think you've inspired me to add a new sig...something along the lines of:

Cat fan priorities:

1. Complaining about Griz fans
2. Hating the Griz
3. Rooting against the Griz
4. Bashing Missoula
5. Following the Cats

Nah, it's more like this...........

1. Loving the Cats
2. Cheering for the Cats
3. Hating the griz
4. Rooting against the griz
5. Complaining about griz fans
5. Bashing SanFranzoula

catbob
July 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
I mentioned it once years ago and Proud Griz Fan brings it up all the time. Maybe I'll go slash his tires and see how hilarious that is.

Griz priorities:

1. Making sure Cat fans know how much better they are than them.
2. Talking about WA Griz
3. How good the current team is going to be on paper (best ever)
4. Remember Dave Dickenson?
5. Stadium expansion (deserves its own category from #2)

uofmman1122
July 3rd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Nah, it's more like this...........

1. Loving the Cats
2. Cheering for the Cats
3. Hating the griz
5. Bashing SanFranzoulaThe way catbob acts, you'd think "Complaining about Griz fans" was far and away #1. xlolx

GOKATS
July 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
The way catbob acts, you'd think "Complaining about Griz fans" was far and away #1. xlolx

1. Loving the Cats
2. Cheering for the Cats
3. Hating the griz
5. Bashing SanFranzoula

The more I think about it, the more I think it should be more like..........

1. Loving the Cats
2. Cheering for the Cats
3. Hating obnoxious asshole griz fans (this by no means includes all griz fans:))
4. Hating the griz
5. Rooting against the griz
6. Bashing SanFranzoula

catbob
July 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hey I was attacked cuz someone took exception to my sig! Just defending myself here. :) My sig did its job, irritated some touchy Griz fans.

Proud Griz Man
July 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I mentioned it once years ago and Proud Griz Fan brings it up all the time. Maybe I'll go slash his tires and see how hilarious that is.

Whoa, threat !?!? xeekx

I am sorry about your tuba getting bruised. :(

Blame yourself for mentioning it, you whiney little catbaby. xbawlingx

uofmman1122
July 4th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Whoa, threat !?!? xeekx

Blame yourself for mentioning it, you whiney little catbaby. xbawlingxxlolx xlolx xlolx

I love how it's gone from Clarinet, to Saxophone, to Tuba. xlolx

VictorG
July 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Hey I was attacked cuz someone took exception to my sig! Just defending myself here. :) My sig did its job, irritated some touchy Griz fans.
Actually, I think that picture was snapped last year during the Griz/cat game. Bobby was signaling the team for "1 more score" to make them cry!xlolx

JALMOND
July 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM

I don't really understand your comment. Based on what I've seen (lived in Montana for 18 years, remember both the 1976 and 1984 Bobcat teams and I remember where the Griz were in relation to the Cats in 1985 when Don Read came to town) the followings of both the Griz and the Cats in Montana can nearly be split 50-50. Always has been, always will be. As for most successful sports team in Montana, I'd give the edge to your Lady Griz basketball team over the Griz football team.

As far as kids not returning to their parents' school, Montanans are not all that obtuse in "I went to Montana, you're going to Montana". Sure it may work as the kid is growing up, but when they are deciding at the end of high school, it usually (and should be this way, mind you) comes down to which school is the right fit for what they want to do. My grandma wanted to be a teacher, she went to Montana; my dad wanted to go into agriculture, he went to Montana State; my brother wanted to go into English and my sister wanted to go into journalism, they both went to Montana. Growing up, though, my brother and I wore Montana State apparel and Dad would take us to all the Cat games. He does enjoy dragging out those pictures nowadays with my brother being a Griz and myself following Portland State. But what can you do? :D

catbob
July 4th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Whoa, threat !?!? xeekx

Blame yourself for mentioning it, you whiney little catbaby. xbawlingx

It wasn't a threat, it was to see if you could walk in someone elses shoes. Which you clearly cannot, or you just have no respect for other people's belongings. You call me a whiney little catbaby cuz I had a $2,500 piece of my property vandalized to the tune of about $400, which was relevant to the Cat/Griz rivalry (which is why I mentioned it at the time). It's not like I came on here and cried about my dog dieing from cancer. I had a bad experience in Missoula during a Cat/Griz game, but I guess I had it coming for being a whiney little catbaby. I work hard for what I own, and I don't like douchebags like you destroying them. In my mind it is no different than breaking into my house and stealing $400. I had to pay for it.

I had to use my scholarship money to pay for it, otherwise I wouldn't keep getting my band scholarship since I could no longer play my instrument. But you're right I should've just kept my mouth shut to avoid unecessary insults from lovely Griz fans like yourself. Actually make that Griz fan, since you are the only one (including myself) who keeps bring this up. You're the one with the problem here.

And really, all band instruments are pretty dorky, but if you wanted to actually get a decent slam in you should have said flute.

Proud Griz Man
July 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
It wasn't a threat, it was to see if you could walk in someone elses shoes. Which you clearly cannot, or you just have no respect for other people's belongings.

You're the one with the problem here.

And really, all band instruments are pretty dorky, but if you wanted to actually get a decent slam in you should have said flute.

Actually, you and I think alike, but You are the one with the problem. You didn't tell me to walk in your shoes. You threatened to slash my automobile tires, right? Seems like you have Significant pent up anger. You might need to get some help if you can't deal with the past, and try to move on with your life.

I respect other people, and their property. Bozeman is the location of college games where there are disrespectful examples like the NDSU Bisonwagon being vandalized and opposing team parents are spit on by MSU fans. Many opposing team coaches tell their players to "keep your helmet on at all times, because Bozeman fans throw snowballs at the sidelines."

Truthfully, I like most of your posts catbob, and I read most of them to view your perspective on the Big Sky Conference. xnodx Nevertheless, I will take the opportunity to push your buttons if you enter a thread about Roper to Montana and start your moronic anti-Griz chants.

Don't threaten to slash my tires, then whine about your band instrument getting dented. Do you see the irony there spanky ?!??!?

CatFan22
July 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Please enlighten me, who got spit on? I'm sure we all look around waiting for people who look like parents so we can spit on them. xrolleyesx
And the students are the only ones I've seen throw snowballs. Doubt they can throw snowball across the entire field to the other side of the stadium. Get a life. That coach, if that was even true, must be a self-righteous little wimp.
You are again another griz fan who claims the only "disrespectful" things that go on happen in Bozeman. That card is way overplayed by you guys.

mtgrizfan4life
July 5th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Fans will fans anywhere. We all have good respectful fans, and not so good disrespectful fans. GRIZ fans are no less guilty than any other fan base. We just have more of them than average FCS schools.

catbob
July 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Call a threat if you want, I may have worded it poorly, but what I meant was that there isn't a difference between having your tires slashed and having your instrument vandalized. I admit I shouldn't have said I would do it, I will apologize for that.

But I didn't come into this thread with any anti-griz sentiments, outside of my sig of course.

I wrote:

Well the Griz have had the best outcomes with dropdown Q's over the years comparatively to other Big Sky Schools. That could be attributed to having a much better overall team than Barnes, Guteirrez, or Waanager (forget his name exactly) had. They have a much higher success rate with them, so you gotta give em props for that I guess.

Then some people started commenting on my sig, blah blah, I responded. Then you brought up a topic I hadn't even thought about for years. Basically all of this stemmed from my sig and overly sensitive folks. I knew Griz fans were a prickly bunch but I didn't realize dissing your rival in your sig would cause such a hissy fit. xeyebrowx

xrotatehx

MR. CHICKEN
July 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
DIS GUY CONSIDERED TOWSON??.....TOWSON???.....TOWSON????......AN' IS LOOKIN' TA MAKE DUH PROS......HOPE HIS ARM STRENGTH.....IS GREATERAH...DAN HIS BRAIN WAVES......GOOD LUCK GRIZWOLDS...TEACHIN' HIM...DUH PLAYBOOK....AWK!

Proud Griz Man
July 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Call a threat if you want, I may have worded it poorly, but what I meant was that there isn't a difference between having your tires slashed and having your instrument vandalized. I admit I shouldn't have said I would do it, I will apologize for that.

But I didn't come into this thread with any anti-griz sentiments, outside of my sig of course.

Fair enough, catbob. I take you at your word, and accept your apology and extend mine (I apologize too) for tweeking you about the band instrument. I am OK with you. xthumbsupx

Proud Griz Man
July 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
DIS GUY CONSIDERED TOWSON??.....TOWSON???.....TOWSON????......AN' IS LOOKIN' TA MAKE DUH PROS......HOPE IS ARM STRENGTH.....IS GREATERAH...DAN HIS BRAIN WAVES......GOOD LUCK GRIZWOLDS...TEACHIN' HIM...DUH PLAYBOOK....AWK!

Even you could learn our playbook Mr. McNuggets.

MR. CHICKEN
July 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Even you could learn our playbook Mr. McNuggets.

MAYBE...AH CAN BORROW.....RICHMOND'S COPY........xlolx......BRAWK!

Proud Griz Man
July 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Please enlighten me, who got spit on? I'm sure we all look around waiting for people who look like parents so we can spit on them. xrolleyesx
And the students are the only ones I've seen throw snowballs. Doubt they can throw snowball across the entire field to the other side of the stadium. Get a life. That coach, if that was even true, must be a self-righteous little wimp.
You are again another griz fan who claims the only "disrespectful" things that go on happen in Bozeman. That card is way overplayed by you guys.

Whatever CF22, I did not ever claim that disrespectful things only happen in Bozeman. Show me where I said that !?!? xnonono2x

Look at page 402-403 of Pat Kearney's "The Divide War - Montana's Golden Treasure".

"The walk in Bozeman from their Fieldhouse up to the stadium was like a clown's show," said Manzanarez. "Those people really get on you. I remember one year getting to the stadium and warming up on the field. All of a sudden these three guys were yelling and screaming at me. They were calling me every name in the book. There is now way you can print in this book anything they were saying. Finally one of our assistant coaches came up and asked me if I know those loud mouths. I told them I knew them all. They were my friends from high school and were all MSU students and wanted to make sure I knew it."

Come on. Who got spit on? Name someone who didn't. xsmhx

catbob
July 6th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Alright, we cool. :)

Back to the topic, who do Griz fans think give them the best chance? I liked what I have seen of Selle. Is Larson going to move positions if he ends up 3rd? I haven't paid as much attention to the Griz this offseason as I usually do, mostly cuz I finally have a full time 40 hour job like the rest of the world and I find I have less energy than I did when I sat around all day skipping class. :)

Green26
July 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Larson was moved to receiver at the start of the summer. He has thrown a bit this summer, but not much. It looks like the qb's will be Selle, Kemp and Roper. We'll have to see how fast Roper can learn the offense and start to catch up with Selle. While Kemp has nice potential, I'm assuming he won't be in the mix for starting this year. The qb competition will improve the team. Larson will be a good addition to the receiver group. He played receiver, and even started one game, late in the season last fall. He also played some special teams.

CatFan22
July 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Come on. Who got spit on? Name someone who didn't. xsmhx

You're serious? xcoffeex

CatFan22
July 6th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Larson was moved to receiver at the start of the summer. He has thrown a bit this summer, but not much. It looks like the qb's will be Selle, Kemp and Roper. We'll have to see how fast Roper can learn the offense and start to catch up with Selle. While Kemp has nice potential, I'm assuming he won't be in the mix for starting this year. The qb competition will improve the team. Larson will be a good addition to the receiver group. He played receiver, and even started one game, late in the season last fall. He also played some special teams.

I would be quite surprised if Roper didn't win the job. I like Selle. Went to high school with the guy. I want him to win it, but it seems now that with Roper coming in, he is going to get forced out of the QB hunt.

uofmman1122
July 7th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I would be quite surprised if Roper didn't win the job. I like Selle. Went to high school with the guy. I want him to win it, but it seems now that with Roper coming in, he is going to get forced out of the QB hunt.Wait, what? What year did you graduate? I graduated from West in 2006.

catbob
July 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I'll go on record saying it certainly wasn't me who spit on anybody. The main reason being I simply don't have the skills. I am horrible at spitting, can only spit about 3 feet and it tends to be more of a shotgun blast than anything. At worst the people right next to me would wonder if it starting to drizzle out.

CatFan22
July 7th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Wait, what? What year did you graduate? I graduated from West in 2006.

'05

laxVik
July 7th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'll go on record saying it certainly wasn't me who spit on anybody. The main reason being I simply don't have the skills. I am horrible at spitting, can only spit about 3 feet and it tends to be more of a shotgun blast than anything. At worst the people right next to me would wonder if it starting to drizzle out.Give it a rest already, flute boy.

CatFan22
July 8th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Give it a rest already, flute boy.

Go give Glanville a kiss for us.

catbob
July 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
What, making fun of myself cuz I suck at spitting? Give what a rest? Pretty sure I've never gone on record and said I can't spit for ***** before. Are you that dense? It was a completely good natured, joking post. Do I need a big smiley face for you, maybe I can draw it in crayon like Glanville's playbooks are.

laxVik
July 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Take your lil' spat (pun intended) to PM's then. No one cares as the thread's obviously labeled "Roper to Montana" not "My clarinet got vandalized". Sheesh...

CatFan22
July 8th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Take your lil' spat (pun intended) to PM's then. No one cares as the thread's obviously labeled "Roper to Montana" not "My clarinet got vandalized". Sheesh...

Then why do you keep talking about it? xconfusedx

catbob
July 8th, 2009, 04:01 PM

I agree, but I didn't bring it up. Go ahead and take it to PM. My first post was purely on topic, but was derailed fast by other people. Don't get mad at me Vikqueen.

Seems more people care about my flute story than the Vikings, at least.