PDA

View Full Version : Edwards, Jones, Mariani and Parker - Top Receivers

Green26
June 26th, 2009, 09:56 AM
NFL analyst, Gil Brandt, says the following in an article on nfl.com entitled "Next year's top receiver prospects feature a variety of skills":

16. Armanti Edwards

College: Appalachian State
Height/Weight: 5-11, 180

Edwards plays quarterback, but his best position might be wide receiver. He's an Antwaan Randle El look-alike. Youngstown's Donald Jones (6-0 ½, 210 pounds), Montana's Marc Mariani (6-0 ½, 180 pounds) and North Alabama's Preston Parker (5-11, 195 pounds) are three non-Bowl subdivision (formerly Division-IA) players to watch.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810f6578&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM
NFL analyst, Gil Brandt, says the following in an article on nfl.com entitled "Next year's top receiver prospects feature a variety of skills":

16. Armanti Edwards

College: Appalachian State
Height/Weight: 5-11, 180

Edwards plays quarterback, but his best position might be wide receiver. He's an Antwaan Randle El look-alike. Youngstown's Donald Jones (6-0 ½, 210 pounds), Montana's Marc Mariani (6-0 ½, 180 pounds) and North Alabama's Preston Parker (5-11, 195 pounds) are three non-Bowl subdivision (formerly Division-IA) players to watch.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810f6578&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

This is probably going to get moved to the FCS & Pros section. I posted it there a few days ago. He is missing a couple FCS WRs that are flying under the radar. Don't see Parker getting drafted with all of his baggage.

citdog
June 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM
the 11th best prospect and the LEADING ONE IN THE FCS IS CADET CAPTAIN ANDRE ROBERTS

WHO YOU NEGLECTED TO MENTION IN THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD.

blueballs
June 26th, 2009, 10:40 AM
the 11th best prospect and the LEADING ONE IN THE FCS IS CADET CAPTAIN ANDRE ROBERTS

WHO YOU NEGLECTED TO MENTION IN THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD.

I have to agree with you... I would take Robert's skill set as a WR and return man over Edward's potential at a position he has never played, especially at he highest level of the sport.

Edwards is a great spread option QB, nothing more (which is plenty damn good for what he's doing right now). I can't see him sticking in the NFL as a WR.

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I have to agree with you... I would take Robert's skill set as a WR and return man over Edward's potential at a position he has never played, especially at he highest level of the sport.

Edwards is a great spread option QB, nothing more (which is plenty damn good for what he's doing right now). I can't see him sticking in the NFL as a WR.

Nor I. I imagine he will follow that App State pipeline straight up to the CFL.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Very well said. I will say that as of now Edwards would definitely get a shot from the NFL. Teams aren't going to let a player as talented as him go without a camp invite or late round selection. I have seen some who have him in the top 100 though and I don't know what precedent anyone has for naming a 5'11 181 pound QB as one of the top 100 prospects without seeing him at the position he is projected to play. He will earn his draft grade at all-star games and the combine.

ASUG8
June 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'll worry about where Edwards lands after he brings #4 home this season - he can be the Cleveland waterboy after that.

I do think he'll show well at the combine assuming he's able to keep the knee intact this season. He's got the speed and hands to be a very capable receiver, and they can bulk him up some pretty easily.

Saint3333
June 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Nor I. I imagine he will follow that App State pipeline straight up to the CFL.

I assume you mean for QBs as ASU has 5 players on NFL rosters currently.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I assume you mean for QBs as ASU has 5 players on NFL rosters currently.

Yeah that had to be it. ASU doesn't put a ton of players in the NFL but they have had success, particularly on defense, with putting players in the league. I believe they have 2 on defense now (Gilbert and LeGree) who will play in the NFL and LB DJ Smith will get a look if he shows the improvement this year that I expect. I don't see him getting drafted but a definite free agent possibility.

GATA
June 26th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Can we all stop acting like we don't see what's happening here?

Now app state has some very talented players...NO DOUBT...but their recent ability to put people into the NFL is based off of one thing and one thing only...beating Michigan.

Dexter Jackson wasn't even the best receiver on his own team and got drafted on the first day...the kid never would have sniffed the league if he doesn't light up Michigan in the first game of the season. The same goes for Corey Lynch. Both of these guys were awesome FCS players, but if they played for anybody else in the country they wouldn't be in the NFL...

with that said...more power to the App State guys for taking advantage of their opportunity. The Michigan win put their program on the map and now they'll be able to ride that wave of momentum for a few more years.

Saint3333
June 26th, 2009, 10:43 PM
So why did Hunter and Murrell make rosters last year? Can't you see what is happening here, there was some serious talent at ASU the last 5 years.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Can we all stop acting like we don't see what's happening here?

Now app state has some very talented players...NO DOUBT...but their recent ability to put people into the NFL is based off of one thing and one thing only...beating Michigan.

Dexter Jackson wasn't even the best receiver on his own team and got drafted on the first day...the kid never would have sniffed the league if he doesn't light up Michigan in the first game of the season. The same goes for Corey Lynch. Both of these guys were awesome FCS players, but if they played for anybody else in the country they wouldn't be in the NFL...

with that said...more power to the App State guys for taking advantage of their opportunity. The Michigan win put their program on the map and now they'll be able to ride that wave of momentum for a few more years.

You are 100% right on Jackson. However, he is the only player from that game in the NFL that I agree was drafted because of it. That game and running a 4.37 electronic time at the combine put him in the 2nd round.

Now, when talking about Corey Lynch he was considered a priority free agent before that game and actually moved on team draft boards after his week at the Texas vs. Nation game and his 4.58 40 at the pro day. Once teams saw he was not a 4.7 guy that pretty much solidified it, that and him earning All-America honors for three straight years.

smallcollegefbfan
June 26th, 2009, 10:53 PM
So why did Hunter and Murrell make rosters last year? Can't you see what is happening here, there was some serious talent at ASU the last 5 years.

There is some serious talent there for the next five years. I firmly believe Armanti Edwards, Cortez Gilbert, DJ Smith, Brian Quick, CoCo Hillary, and Mark LeGree will all get shots in the NFL.

Saint3333
June 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure CoCo can make it. He has the talent, but IMO he shys away from contact too much. That's why AE is now the QB, remember CoCo has ahead of AE in the depth chart originally he just doesn't have the intangibles it takes for a FCS player to make the NFL (i.e. Lynch's instinct and football knowledge). Of the guys you listed I'd rank their chances of making an NFL roster as: Quick, Legree, AE, Smith, Gilbert. There are a couple other DBs in the 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes that will have a shot.

smallcollegefbfan
June 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I'm not sure CoCo can make it. He has the talent, but IMO he shys away from contact too much. That's why AE is now the QB, remember CoCo has ahead of AE in the depth chart originally he just doesn't have the intangibles it takes for a FCS player to make the NFL (i.e. Lynch's instinct and football knowledge). Of the guys you listed I'd rank their chances of making an NFL roster as: Quick, Legree, AE, Smith, Gilbert. There are a couple other DBs in the 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes that will have a shot.

The reason I say CoCo will get a look is because of his speed, versatility, and explosiveness. He has two more years and while I am not saying he would get drafted or make a team I do see him earning a free agent contract. Based on potential the two best on the team could be Quick and LeGree with McDuffie as one to watch for down the line. LeGree is the highest rated on my board from ASU at the moment (4th round) with Quick as a PFA until he shows he can dominate and make the tough catches. I have Edwards as a 7th-PFA, Smith as a PFA/FA, and Hillary as a marginal FA until he shows toughness and consistency.