PDA

View Full Version : FCSNow - SLC is the "Quarterbacks Conference"

TexasTerror
June 26th, 2009, 08:20 AM
The mysterious newcomer (though the site claims to have been around awhile, has released their QB rankings and to no one's surprise, the SLC is the "Quarterbacks Conference" despite graduating both Rhett Bomar (SHSU) and Nathan Brown (UCA).

Four Southlanders in the top 15!

http://fcsnow25.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!7C7F83C656D4FC7!222.entry

GeauxLions94
June 26th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Not bad, but they have them in the wrong order IMO.

I'd go with ...
Fourroux, McNeese - Like his ability to run as well. The guy is a winner.
Babin, SLU - Gets the ball to where it has to be at. Improved on his footwork and continues to get better in the system
George, Texas State - Best arm of the group by far. Great size and has great maturity. Can get a little erratic.
Moses, Stephen F. Austin. - Good QB for the system SFA runs. Wasn't impressed with his arm strength in the game I saw him in last year, though made some great "touch" throws down the stretch

https://p0mjyg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1mK8SJmY7OttSTfHiLeKeoDjKFtMn5UmkM5ZUS-odT2CXa-N4LFhKbEz4vyJ6-laJWdTb7wTl8K2QdvIpPD0Wmy2J2isO-wiJnNx7vaokbRmPTn6tmuPKNaoHcGWSGqdv_WKXlIion6pjzfa Yx8h8nmg/Brian%20Babin%20Southeastern%20Louisiana%20FCS%20f ootball.jpg

HPCAT
June 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM
George was the 6th most efficient QB in the nation last year, but not the best in the SLC ?..............LOL

The facts don't lie, and George was by far the most efficient QB in the SLC and most likely will be again.

An important point is that George did stink it up the first two games, with PE ratings around 30 and 80 for the first two games. His character shined as he came back to lead TXST to the SLC title and playoffs, and finished the season with a PE rating over 158.

I can not believe any QB was a more efficient passer the last 9 games of the year, not that Luke did not help some there.

JohnStOnge
June 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
George was the 6th most efficient QB in the nation last year, but not the best in the SLC?.

Well, let's see. Go to http://www.southland.org/pdf5/354232.pdf?ATCLID=3623172&SPSID=97137&SPID=10812&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400 . Nathan Brown finished as first team all Southland QB. Rhett Bomar was second team all Southland QB. That was according to "...a vote of the league’s head coaches and sports information directors."

So, no, George was not the best QB in the SLC last year according to league coaches snd SIDs.

JohnStOnge
June 26th, 2009, 08:42 PM
His character shined as he came back to lead TXST to the SLC title and playoffs...

I've got to say this, too. Look Central Arkansas was the real Southland Champion last year. The only reason Texas State was "crowned" as such is that the NCAA would not allow the conference to give Central Arkansas its due. This thing of calling Texas State the 2008 Southland Champion in football is really hollow. The best team in the leauge last year sat the playoffs out.

McNeese75
June 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Not bad, but they have them in the wrong order IMO.

I'd go with ...
Fourroux, McNeese - Like his ability to run as well. The guy is a winner.
Babin, SLU - Gets the ball to where it has to be at. Improved on his footwork and continues to get better in the system
George, Texas State - Best arm of the group by far. Great size and has great maturity. Can get a little erratic.
Moses, Stephen F. Austin. - Good QB for the system SFA runs. Wasn't impressed with his arm strength in the game I saw him in last year, though made some great "touch" throws down the stretch

https://p0mjyg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1mK8SJmY7OttSTfHiLeKeoDjKFtMn5UmkM5ZUS-odT2CXa-N4LFhKbEz4vyJ6-laJWdTb7wTl8K2QdvIpPD0Wmy2J2isO-wiJnNx7vaokbRmPTn6tmuPKNaoHcGWSGqdv_WKXlIion6pjzfa Yx8h8nmg/Brian%20Babin%20Southeastern%20Louisiana%20FCS%20f ootball.jpg

xrolleyesx Sounds about right to me xnodx

supercat11
June 28th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Well, let's see. Go to http://www.southland.org/pdf5/354232.pdf?ATCLID=3623172&SPSID=97137&SPID=10812&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400 . Nathan Brown finished as first team all Southland QB. Rhett Bomar was second team all Southland QB. That was according to "...a vote of the league’s head coaches and sports information directors."

So, no, George was not the best QB in the SLC last year according to league coaches snd SIDs.

The all-conference teams are the opinion of the head coaches and SIDs. The statistics show that George was the best QB in the SLC, and the statistics don't lie.

Also, I acknowledge that UCA was the better team last year. But someone else had to win the conference because UCA couldn't. If Texas State didn't win it, someone else would have. Texas State's SLC championship is legitimate because even though UCA had a better record against SLC teams, they weren't technically part of the conference.

JohnStOnge
June 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM
The all-conference teams are the opinion of the head coaches and SIDs. The statistics show that George was the best QB in the SLC, and the statistics don't lie..

I don't know if I agree that having the highest passing efficiency rating necessarily means "best quarterback." But, if it does, Nathan Brown had a passing efficiency rating of 164.69 and Bradley George had a passing efficiency rating of 158.88.

Also, in comparing McNeese's Fouroux to George:

They are in the same class. Since Fourroux started playing in 2006, here is how the rankings for the two have gone:

2006: Fourroux 49, George 52
2007: Fourroux 10, George 59
2008: Fourroux 12, George 6

Fourroux is more athletic. He was McNeese's second leading rusher last year with 447 yards and a 3.9 yards per carry average. George was Texas State's 10th leading rusher with 19 yards and a 0.5 yards per carry average. I think the assertion that George was at any point the best quarterback in the SLC is very questionable. I'm talking about in terms of a college quarterback in the SLC. George does have physical stature that make it likely he'll be more highly regarded by the NFL. But the same would be true in comparing him to Armanti Edwards.

BEAR
June 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
The all-conference teams are the opinion of the head coaches and SIDs. The statistics show that George was the best QB in the SLC, and the statistics don't lie.

Also, I acknowledge that UCA was the better team last year. But someone else had to win the conference because UCA couldn't. If Texas State didn't win it, someone else would have. Texas State's SLC championship is legitimate because even though UCA had a better record against SLC teams, they weren't technically part of the conference.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. Geez I was hoping this would die down eventually and everyone would focus on the 2009 season. But..

UCA Couldn't---UCA could. The SLC commish had the option to give UCA the conference title but the conference would have to give up it's automatic qualifier for the playoffs. So yes, he could have, but he would have made the second place team and their fans angry.

they weren't technically part of the conference- Actually UCA is part of the conference..has been since 2007. UCA isn't eligible for post-season until 2010 but they are still members of the conference.

Here's an article excerpt...very interesting to say the least:

UCA is ineligible for the postseason until 2010. While the Southland recognizes UCA as a full-fledged member, the NCAA, for football playoff purposes, does not recognize UCA as a member of the Southland.
"Now, if UCA wins the championship, we're going to give them a trophy," Burnett said. "As far as the conference is concerned, they are a full-fledged member and eligible for any conference championships and always have been. UCA is entitled to anything any other conference member is entitled to except when it relates to NCAA postseason. But we had to adjust the paperwork, because, as far as the NCAA is concerned for its championship purposes, UCA is not recognized by them as a Southland member.--SLC Commish

It's ok to call a team whatever you want. Here's what I call the Bears:

http://www.ucafans.com/images/football/slc_champs_shirt.jpg

supercat11
June 28th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the acknowledgement. Geez I was hoping this would die down eventually and everyone would focus on the 2009 season. But..

UCA Couldn't---UCA could. The SLC commish had the option to give UCA the conference title but the conference would have to give up it's automatic qualifier for the playoffs. So yes, he could have, but he would have made the second place team and their fans angry.

they weren't technically part of the conference- Actually UCA is part of the conference..has been since 2007. UCA isn't eligible for post-season until 2010 but they are still members of the conference.

Here's an article excerpt...very interesting to say the least:

It's ok to call a team whatever you want. Here's what I call the Bears:

http://www.ucafans.com/images/football/slc_champs_shirt.jpg

Fair enough. I just don't like the criticism Texas State has gotten for being being awarded the championship. It had to be someone. I wish everyone could move on and focus on the '09 season.

MaximumBobcat
June 28th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Fair enough. I just don't like the criticism Texas State has gotten for being being awarded the championship. It had to be someone. I wish everyone could move on and focus on the '09 season.

Forget UCA and just focus on that we beat McNeese at the Hole, got the paddle from Nicholls, and got an AQ to the playoffs in OT @ Sammy St!! It was a sweet year for TxSt football!!
xrulesxxrulesxxrulesxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Without Cameron Luke, which Bradley George are we going to see...?

Are we going to see the one that appeared down the stretch? Or is he going to find something with Mishak Rivas and some of the other young ones?

Syntax Error
June 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM
The mysterious newcomer (though the site claims to have been around awhile...The site was registered this year. xlolx

MaximumBobcat
June 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Are we going to see the one that appeared down the stretch? Or is he going to find something with Mishak Rivas and some of the other young ones?

Darren Dillard will try his best to replace CL. He stepped up and make some bigtime snags last year too.

I'm expecting Mishak Rivas to step up as well. Darius Bolden, D'Marcus Griggs, Corey Scott, E.J. Leblanc, plus maybe one of the really athletic, tall WR recruits we got and a few others will fill out the rest of our WR corp.

I'm really not too worried here. Bailiff/Wright went after good athletic WRs and quicker, smaller TB/WRs and that's what we've got. Give BG enough time, and he'll get it to em.

TexasTerror
June 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM
The site was registered this year. xlolx

Intriguing. They still have not responded to PMs or inquiries on this board (or any board I have seen) regarding the makeup of their poll...

They also have spotty and random updates, leaving much very questionable. I am all for another media source in the FCS world, but at least help lend credibility to your site...

Syntax Error
June 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Intriguing. They still have not responded to PMs or inquiries on this board (or any board I have seen) regarding the makeup of their poll...

They also have spotty and random updates, leaving much very questionable. I am all for another media source in the FCS world, but at least help lend credibility to your site...My site? I don't have one. I help out with AGS and CSN on different stuff, neither which need help credibilitywise. Besides TSN that is all there basically is for only FCS.

smallcollegefbfan
June 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this but I saw that FCS Now is doing position rankings. Here are their QB rankings.

http://fcsnow.com/blog.aspx

BEAR
June 28th, 2009, 11:19 PM

xbowxxbowxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

McNeese75
June 29th, 2009, 12:00 AM

It will interesting in seeing how Luke is replaced this year. He left some big shoes to fill because he did carry more than his share of the Bobcat load last year. (without CL there is no win in the Hole last year)

Most teams will have similar issues with replacing productive skill players (McNeese = Whitehead)

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Not sure if anyone posted this but I saw that FCS Now is doing position rankings. Here are their QB rankings.

Hence - the thread! xlolx

Most teams will have similar issues with replacing productive skill players (McNeese = Whitehead)

Yep. SHSU lost Bomar and Houston. SFA lost Edison. TXST lost Zwingii and Luke. UCA lost Branson and Brown. SLU lost Lucas. The list goes on...

Aho_Old_Guy
June 29th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I'm a little worried about the return of Purple Power and Jordan Sorrells - and he may not even be the best QB on the roster. He deserves an honorable mention ...

Might get skeery down at FU for App this year LOL

JohnStOnge
June 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM

The lack of respect Fourroux gets as compared to other Southland quarterbacks continues to amaze me. Take Babin for instance. Being in Ascension Parish, I watched Babin in high school. I've watched him in college. No WAY he's as good a college quarterback overall as Fourroux is. Frankly, I think the same is true with respect to George. No way. Moses, maybe. I havent' seen much of him.

TheRiver
June 29th, 2009, 11:07 PM
lack of respect is something the cowboys should not be complaining about. Moses is the Best QB in the southland seen him play in 5 game live, if he learns the not superman the will be a hell of QB.

lionsrking2
June 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM
The lack of respect Fourroux gets as compared to other Southland quarterbacks continues to amaze me. Take Babin for instance. Being in Ascension Parish, I watched Babin in high school. I've watched him in college. No WAY he's as good a college quarterback overall as Fourroux is. Frankly, I think the same is true with respect to George. No way. Moses, maybe. I havent' seen much of him.

I like Fourroux even though he hasn't played particularly well against us the last three years...he's a solid system guy who doesn't make many mistakes and creates problems for defenses with his mobility. From what I've seen, he's not all that adept at sitting in the pocket and reading defenses, but has plenty of arm and gets it out on time to his playmakers. Compared to Babin, Fourroux has the obvious edge in mobility, but IMO, Babin has MUCH better pocket awareness and field vision and is a better passer overall. They're both good QBs for different reasons and both fit the style of offense they're asked to run. I doubt McNeese fans would trade Fourroux for Babin and I doubt Lions fans would trade Babin for Fourroux.

Having seen Bradley George three times in person and on TV several times, he's more physically gifted than both of them, but his mechanics can get out of whack which results in inconsistency. When he's locked in, he's as impressive as anybody you'll see throwing the football, but when his footwork gets sloppy and his arm slot changes, he can be quite erratic. He's one of those guys where you'll enjoy the good and live with the bad.

For me, Moses is the least talented of all but a product of the Air Raid which is just about guaranteed to produce gaudy numbers for the QB position. I doubt he could start for anybody else in the SLC, but is plenty good enough to do what he's asked to do in that offense. He does have big-time guts and will stay in the pocket until the last possible second, which is a major requirement for the Air Raid. He's just small, not very mobile and doesn't have a very strong arm.

lionsrking2
June 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM
lack of respect is something the cowboys should not be complaining about. Moses is the Best QB in the southland seen him play in 5 game live, if he learns the not superman the will be a hell of QB.

Not even close. He does a good job in the system he's in, but name another school in the league he could start for running that school's offense? Conversely, just about every other QB in the SLC, outside of Nicholls, would start at SFA over him. Moses is the epitome of a system QB, not that there's anything wrong with that...he's quite successful.

BEAR
June 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Moses ran 654 plays with 598 being pass plays. xeekx (-74 yards running).

I always thought the run game opened up the pass game. xlolx

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2009, 08:25 AM

What quantifies that?

We'll see how he does without Edison. With him, he was #41 in pass efficiency. His interception total (20) was not ideal and put his defense in a bad situation more times than not.

A talented player. No question. We've all said so since he put up lofty numbers as a freshman and displayed some of what he is capable of. However, I have a hard time placing him in the top two and arguably, not even top three...

TheRiver
June 30th, 2009, 10:05 AM
As I said if he learns the not superman he will be a dame fine QB,

In superman I mean forcing throws and giving up INT's. If you ever seen the kid play he is a hell of a talent just need to, stop forcing the ball and that will come to him soon and you will see what I'm talking about.

Also as someone else said the QB look so good in the SLC because everyones D sucks bad, and you all know that, a bi product of a bad D= a good looking QB.

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, but even with the bad defenses in the league, Moses still finds a way to throw the ball into the opposing defender's hands...

There probably would have been a few more INTs had Edison not been there. He was one of the more talented WRs we have seen in the conference in the last decade.

McNeese75
June 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM
As I said if he learns the not superman he will be a dame fine QB,

In superman I mean forcing throws and giving up INT's. If you ever seen the kid play he is a hell of a talent just need to, stop forcing the ball and that will come to him soon and you will see what I'm talking about.

Also as someone else said the QB look so good in the SLC because everyones D sucks bad, and you all know that, a bi product of a bad D= a good looking QB.

IMO as stated above Moses is definitly a "system" QB and will rise and fall with he quality of his receivers. I'm betting the loss of Edison is going to have a pretty dramatic effect on him this year. If the "D" improves across the league this year he could be in trouble.

smallcollegefbfan
June 30th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hence - the thread! xlolx

Yep. SHSU lost Bomar and Houston. SFA lost Edison. TXST lost Zwingii and Luke. UCA lost Branson and Brown. SLU lost Lucas. The list goes on...

I didn't see it when I posted that. They should have just nuked my post completely.