PDA

View Full Version : MEAC, You Will Not Lose AQ

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Seems there is some concern on the MEAC board by a select few that they will lose their automatic bid. I am not sure why they would be led to believe this, as long as they meet the qualifications set forth...

http://community.meacfans.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5501054881/m/398105903

Now you would lose your AQ if you sent your champion to the Heritage Bowl or any other type of postseason game concocted.

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 02:20 PM
And now on TSPN, an individual who is adamant that the Heritage Bowl will return in 2010 with the SWAC champion taking on the MEAC champion.

It is my position from MY sources - and I will place MY sources against your sources anytime - that the 2009 SCG will be the last and in December 2010, the week after the SEC Champ Game in Atlanta, the Heritage Bowl will take place in the GA Dome - between the SWAC Champ and the MEAC Champ...

2nd place teams from either conf will be eligible for at large bids to the playoffs if those teams are deemed worthy....

Oh yea, the money will be at the least of what is paid out by ESPN for their other made for tv bowl games - Papajohns, etc and will be ESPN or ESPN2

http://www.tspnsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1493839&postcount=40

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
The OVC will lose their autobid before the MEAC does. xreadx

gophoenix
June 24th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Seems there is some concern on the MEAC board by a select few that they will lose their automatic bid. I am not sure why they would be led to believe this, as long as they meet the qualifications set forth...

http://community.meacfans.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5501054881/m/398105903

Now you would lose your AQ if you sent your champion to the Heritage Bowl or any other type of postseason game concocted.

Couldn't the conference just grant championship status 2 the second place team and disqualify the first place team, thus getting around this?

Or heck, just grant the AQ to another league team.

It would mean making the champion ineligible for playoff play (a la Central Arkansas) and thus making the AQ the next team in line....

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Couldn't the conference just grant championship status 2 the second place team and disqualify the first place team, thus getting around this?

Or heck, just grant the AQ to another league team.

It would mean making the champion ineligible for playoff play (a la Central Arkansas) and thus making the AQ the next team in line....

No - that is not how the whole UCA ordeal happened. UCA was not the champion of the league, because if they were declared the champion, the SLC would have lost their AQ.

You can not just say your champion is not qualified, it goes by teams and that has to be filed prior to the season, which squads are eligible for the playoffs. So, if you are the MEAC - you file the names of every squad. It can not be changed once the year starts. Now, if someone does not get selected to the playoffs (see NEC, Pioneer), then they could go into another postseason game.

Is this right...? Pretty certain it is close to accurate.

Rob Iola
June 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Not sure I understand you - cuz the MEAC AQ always loses...

bluehenbillk
June 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
If this is what it takes to get the MEAC outta the playoffs so be it. Take your officials with you.

DSUrocks07
June 25th, 2009, 10:03 AM
If this is what it takes to get the MEAC outta the playoffs so be it. Take your officials with you.

xnonono2x

The MEAC would disintegrate before the ink is even dry on any "NCAA official declaration" to that fact. FAMU, SCSU, BCC, A&T, DSU would announce their independence within hours. The problem that the MEAC has is that half of their schools are committed to athletics, and the FCS playoffs while the other half is committed to the status quo.

Skjellyfetti
June 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I hope the MEAC keeps an AQ. I loved SC State and their fans last year. Just wish they had been able to bring their band.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
It is my position from MY sources - and I will place MY sources against your sources anytime - that the 2009 SCG will be the last and in December 2010, the week after the SEC Champ Game in Atlanta, the Heritage Bowl will take place in the GA Dome - between the SWAC Champ and the MEAC Champ...

2nd place teams from either conf will be eligible for at large bids to the playoffs if those teams are deemed worthy....

Oh yea, the money will be at the least of what is paid out by ESPN for their other made for tv bowl games - Papajohns, etc and will be ESPN or ESPN2

xnonono2x

The MEAC would disintegrate before the ink is even dry on any "NCAA official declaration" to that fact. FAMU, SCSU, BCC, A&T, DSU would announce their independence within hours. The problem that the MEAC has is that half of their schools are committed to athletics, and the FCS playoffs while the other half is committed to the status quo.

I so agree with this. However, I disagree that NC A&T, FAMU & BCC would separate from the MEAC - much more likely that DSU, Morgan State, Hampton, Norfolk State, SCSU all bolt at a bare minimum. Add Howard to that list, and now you have a new conference that qualifies automatically for an autobid.

I'm also not sure that FAMU and BCC are all that keen to tie themselves to the SWAC monetary model, anyway.

jmufan999
June 25th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I hope the MEAC keeps an AQ. I loved SC State and their fans last year. Just wish they had been able to bring their band.

yeah i bet you did [ahem, WOFFORD AT HOME AS THE #1 SEED, excuse me. little cough going on].

i actually did watch the ASU/SCSU game and i was impressed by the fight in SCSU. there was definitely some talent there. that said, a god-awful playoff record over the years for the MEAC. i just want to know, when will JMU get one in the first round?

jmufan999
June 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
and yes i know how they select all the playoff teams, the proximity thing, the seeding thing, all of it.

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Further commentary on TSPN by a select few suggests that the playoff format is a strategy by the NCAA against the HBCUs...

3rd Coast Tiger
June 25th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Further commentary on TSPN by a select few suggests that the playoff format is a strategy by the NCAA against the HBCUs...

If AGS members wanted to know what TSPN/MEACFans members had to say don't you think they'd venture over there themselves?

TexasTerror
June 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
If AGS members wanted to know what TSPN/MEACFans members had to say don't you think they'd venture over there themselves?

Just need help on this board to debunk some of the off the wall information that is coming from a select few on the other popular FCS communities...

813Jag
June 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Just need help on this board to debunk some of the off the wall information that is coming from a select few on the other popular FCS communities...
maybe the folks here don't care what folks at other sites say. Are you the messageboard police? xconfusedx

Aho_Old_Guy
June 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM
When the Tigers beat the Bulldogs in the MEAC/SWAC Challenge, Coach Broadway will be looking even better for the Appalachian job when Coach Moore is ready to retire ;)

I had (probably falsely) hoped with the playoff expansion that the 'qualifier' picture would become much more clear and concise ... but the fact of the matter is it may well become more complicated with even more bickering about seedings, play-ins, matchups, etc.

And when you factor in how tough it would be for a HBC to give up a 'new new' Heritage Bowl game I could see it going both ways. Some folks may choose the Heritage and some may choose to play for the chance at a NC in the playoffs. The conference should leave the decision up to the individual school.

My hat would be off to 'em for making the decision and sticking with it - yah gonna get a load of heat either way.

xlolx

They also probably believe there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll and I kidnapped the Lindbergh baby ...

813Jag
June 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
The Heritage Bowl was good for what it was, but to me it's run it's course. (Of course that has nothing to do with that last loss to Hampton. xlolx)