PDA

View Full Version : UCLA WR Dominique Johnson transfering to Cal Poly

slostang
June 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I know that this was posted on the Great West board, but I thought I would also post it on the FCS board. Multiple sources in the LA area have reported that UCLA WR Dominique Johnson is transfering to Cal Poly. Could be a great replacement for Ramses Barden.

Link to an article in the Telegram Tribune: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/story/758530.html

Class: RS Junior

Hometown: Moreno Valley, CA

High School: Valley View

Height / Weight: 6-3 / 216

Position: WR

Birthdate: 03/04/1988

Experience: 3V

UCLA - Dominique is one of the three most experienced wide receivers on the squad and figures to be a regular in the rotation ... Possesses good height and speed for the receiver position and has demonstrated the skills necessary to make the big play ... On Sept. 7, 2007, the NCAA granted UCLA's appeal to have his freshman season restored (he had played three snaps in the 2006 opener) ... He has two seasons of eligibility remaining, but must sit out the first two games in one of the next two seasons (the standard assessment in these type of cases).

2008 - Appeared in 12 games with six starts ...Finished fourth on the team with 34 catches and third in receiving yards with 373 ... Started against Tennessee and made four catches (51 yards) ... Started at BYU and made a career-best seven catches (61) ... Made one reception (six) off the bench versus Arizona ... Played off the bench against Fresno, but did not make a catch ... Made one reception against Washington State ... Made three grabs at Oregon (41), including a season-best 24-yarder ... Made two catches versus Stanford (38) ... Tied for the team lead with five receptions (47) at Cal, including a nine-yard touchdown catch ... Started against Oregon State and made four catches for 49 yards ... Started at Washington and led the Bruins with four receptions (33) ... Started, but made no catches at Arizona State ... Made three receptions (36) and threw a 21-yard touchdown pass in a start against USC.

2007 - Appeared in all 13 games with three starts ... Ranked third on the squad with 25 receptions for 322 yards and tied for the team lead with four receiving touchdowns ... Offensive winner of UCLA's Captain Don Brown Memorial Award for Most Improved Player ... Made his first career reception, a four-yard touchdown grab in the season opener at Stanford ... Saw limited action against BYU and Utah ... Against Washington, he led the Bruins with five receptions for 32 yards, including a two-yard touchdown catch ... At Oregon State, he made two receptions (24) ... Against Notre Dame, he made three receptions (37) but sprained his left ankle on his final catch ... In the win over Cal, he made one reception (29), a twisting grab in the end zone to give UCLA a 20-14 lead ... He made two receptions (26) at Washington State ... At Arizona, he led the Bruins with four receptions (74), including a leaping grab for 42 yards ... Made three receptions for 54 yards, with a long of 28, versus Arizona State ... Did not make a reception versus Oregon ... Against USC, he made four receptions, tying for the team lead, for 42 yards and one touchdown ... The touchdown catch was a tremendous one-handed grab on the left sideline of the end zone ... Won UCLA's George W. Dickerson Award for Outstanding Offensive Player versus USC ... Sprained his ankle after starting the Las Vegas Bowl and did not make a reception.

2006 - Dominique saw action in the opener against Utah ... Suffered a sprained ankle and did not appear in another game during the season and was granted a redshirt year.

HIGH SCHOOL - Lettered three seasons in football at Valley View HS in Moreno Valley, CA for coach Dan Barlage ... Rated the No. 55 wide receiver nationally by ESPN.com ... Three-star selection by rivals.com ... Member of the scout.com Western 100 (No. 72) ... Three-star selection by scout.com ... Rated No. 54 among wide receivers by scout.com ... SuperPrep All-Far West selection ... PrepStar All-Region selection ... Three-time first-team all-league selection ... Named all-county, team MVP and Offensive Player of the Year as a senior ... Selected to play in Shrine All-Star Game ... Totaled 134 catches for 1,981 yards and 27 touchdowns in his prep career ... Had 1,200 all-purpose yards in his senior season ... Had 46 catches for 781 yards and nine touchdowns as a prep senior ... Also rushed for 353 yards and three TDs ... As a junior, he made 41 receptions for 590 yards and 10 touchdowns ... Broke all of his school's receiving records ... Also lettered three seasons in basketball, as a forward, for coach Jim Long ... Named second-team All-CIF as a senior and first-team All-CIF as a junior ... Earned first-team all-league honors in all three seasons ... Team earned league championship as a junior ... Averaged 23 points per game in his hoops career ... Set school records for points and field goals made ... Served as basketball team captain.

PERSONAL - Full Name: Dominique Johnson ... Born: March 4, 1988 in Los Angeles, CA ... Parent: Sharon Butler ... Has three brothers---Christopher, Anthony, Jeremy --- and a sister, Gabrielle... One of his biggest thrills in sports was helping lead his high school team to a win in the final minute of play during his sophomore season ... Hobbies include computer games ... Math is his favorite class ...Director's Honor Roll in Fall 2006 ... History major.

CAREER HIGHS
Receptions: 7 at BYU, 2008
Receiving Yards: 74 vs. Arizona, 2007
Receiving Touchdowns: 1, five times, last at Cal, 2008

slostang
June 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
More pictures of Johnson at UCLA:

slostang
June 21st, 2009, 03:00 PM
More pictures II:

OL FU
June 21st, 2009, 03:11 PM
More pictures of Johnson at UCLA:

That first shot is a heck of a picture. xthumbsupx

Two years eligibility remaining, right?

slostang
June 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
That first shot is a heck of a picture. xthumbsupx

Two years eligibility remaining, right?

That is correct.

Syntax Error
June 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
Two years eligibility remaining, right?They don't allow one year left transfers anymore.

He has big shoes to fill.

slostang
June 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM
They don't allow one year left transfers anymore.

He has big shoes to fill.

Yes he does. Too bad he does not have Dally throwing him the ball.

Syntax Error
June 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM
Yes he does. Too bad he does not have Dally throwing him the ball.When I first read the report I was wondering if he knew exactly what kind of offense CP runs... RUNS. xlolx

slostang
June 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
When I first read the report I was wondering if he knew exactly what kind of offense CP runs... RUNS. xlolx

I don't think he cares that they RUN the triple option, I think he saw that Barden caught 67 balls for 1,257 yard (18.8 average) and 18 TDs in 2008 to go along with his 57 receptions for 1,467 yards (25.7 average) and 18 TDs in 2007. He also probably likes that Barden caught 50 TDs in his career at Cal Poly.xthumbsupx

coover
June 22nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
When I first read the report I was wondering if he knew exactly what kind of offense CP runs... RUNS. xlolx

Tim Walsh is a smart coach. If bringing Johnson in means that a passing game must be added to the offense, it will happen. While Poly has no QB's with much experience passing the ball at the College Level, they do have 3 or 4 who were very sucessful passing at the High School level, and a couple who also ran the ball very well. With Johnson, the triple option will certainly include an option to pass. And if Smith can't pull it off, Broadous or "The Duke" should be able to do so!

With the first game on September 12, the offense will have an additional two weeks to get ready for the first game (over last years end of August first game). They'll be ready, and they'll be throwing the ball whenever appropriate.

I can't wait (but I guess I'll have to)!

Bill Hanson
June 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Seems like a good fit for CP. Good job. Wish the ISU could get some athletes like that.

WestCoastAggie
June 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
No offense to CP but why is this kid leaving UCLA?

slostang
June 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
No offense to CP but why is this kid leaving UCLA?

From what I have read on the different message boards and blogs, UCLA is over committed on scholarships and he got burried on the depth chart this spring. He was a Dorrel recruit and from some have said Neuheisel (sp?) promised some of his recruits early playing time so Johnson and a few other Dorrel recruits moved to the back of the line. Two other former high profile Dorrel recruits transfered this spring. QB Forcier to Furman and a RB (forgot his name) to TCU.