PDA

View Full Version : Changes for URI Football??

Cobblestone
June 19th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I copied this from the PROJO (Providence Journal) website. The article was about possible changes we might see in all sports at URI with our new president coming in.

Here are two that pertain to football:

Colonial Athletic Association (football): Could change if Northeast schools agree to form a new league.

Meade Stadium (Football): new grandstand, press box, lights, artificial surface desirable.

I'm a big advocate of both. Although I think that since we have a strong agriculture program that it would be in our best interest to keep natural grass on the field.

As for the conference issue, I like the idea but I think the problem would be getting other New England schools to go along with it. UNH in particular has had much success in the CAA would they be willing to go to a new conference? Especially if that new conference does not have an autobid. How about ALL FCS conferences having an autobid? I fail to see why any conference champion (including the Ivy League) cannot get into the playoffs.

How about it New England members of CAA? Do we bring back the Yankee Conference?

yeah I know...

xdeadhorsex

Jackman
June 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM
If UMass and Maine went to a new conference, UNH would go too.
If UMass and UNH went to a new conference, Maine would go too.
If UNH and Maine went to a new conference, UMass would issue a press release celebrating its new annual series with Villanova and Delaware.

UNHWildCats
June 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
If UMass and Maine went to a new conference, UNH would go too.
If UMass and UNH went to a new conference, Maine would go too.
If UNH and Maine went to a new conference, UMass would issue a press release celebrating its new annual series with Villanova and Delaware.
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolx

mainejeff
June 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
How will URI be able to cover their loss of $40K in NCAA basketball money if they leave the A-10???xeekxxeekxxeekx

Brad82
June 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
URI's grass surface is a joke for school with turf program.

Cobblestone
June 19th, 2009, 01:50 PM
How will URI be able to cover their loss of $40K in NCAA basketball money if they leave the A-10???xeekxxeekxxeekx

Who said anything about that?

Bull Fan
June 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
URI's grass surface is a joke for school with turf program.

Let's not forget that field has been literally underwater in the past. Let's give them a pass on the field. I'm not a turfologist, but while it's not a pristine field it gets the job done for them and isn't a safety hazard for the players.

Seawolf97
June 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Who said anything about that?

One of the reasons for a new conference or hybrid CAA besides travel issues is an all sports arrangement. Since many potential members now have multiple conferences to deal with. I still think that while it sounds like a great idea , politics and pride(NOT HOFSTRA) will get in the way.

Tribe4SF
June 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
This horse may be dead, but he's going to be beaten many more times over the next couple of years. Changes are coming, and the CAA will be action central for the foreseeable future.

It's long been my contention that if any of the CAA North schools were going to defect, URI would be the first. With their concerns, a drop to 40 scholarships and a move to the NEC might be a wise choice.

Husky Alum
June 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM
It's long been my contention that if any of the CAA North schools were going to defect, URI would be the first. With their concerns, a drop to 40 scholarships and a move to the NEC might be a wise choice.

Ironically in 1990 or 1991 this was proposed by UNH, URI, Boston U, Maine, and Northeastern. The idea would have been to have a limited scholarship "cost containment" football model and I think Central Connecticut would have been the 6th team in this league. It was going to be called "The North Atlantic Conference" and would have been run by what's now called America East. UMass was on the fence at this time about the scholy reduction for football.

mainejeff
June 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM
UMass, UNH and Maine will not be reducing scholarships........URI, Northeastern, and Hofstra are the ones that I would question.

Go...gate
June 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Ironically in 1990 or 1991 this was proposed by UNH, URI, Boston U, Maine, and Northeastern. The idea would have been to have a limited scholarship "cost containment" football model and I think Central Connecticut would have been the 6th team in this league. It was going to be called "The North Atlantic Conference" and would have been run by what's now called America East. UMass was on the fence at this time about the scholy reduction for football.

I remember Neil Grabois, Colgate's President at the time, discussing this proposed conference in our Alumni newspaper as an example of how eastern colleges and universities were re-evaluating football in the context of a discussion of Colgate's increasing lack of competitiveness in Division I-AA football during that period (1988 - 1995)

scotte303
June 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
Would be nice to see the stadium updated, I hope it pans out for them. They should bring tailgating back as well, get more people to the games.

Uncle Buck
June 21st, 2009, 07:32 PM
UMass, UNH and Maine will not be reducing scholarships........URI, Northeastern, and Hofstra are the ones that I would question.

HU will not be reducing scholarships. Haven't heard anything close to that from the powers that be.

scotte303
June 21st, 2009, 07:38 PM
IMHO, Theres no way any team in that conference would have a chance with less than 63 scholarships.

scotte303
June 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
We tailgated also, (no alchohol) but I think it was "officially" stopped years ago because of some issues. What I understand, ever since then attandance plumetted. Could be the extra $$$ and support we need. I am a newbie here, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Seawolf97
June 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM
There was an article in the Long Island Newsday (no Marcus) discussing both Hofstra and StonyBrook on just this. Both Athletic Directors were clear that no sports would be dropped or any sports cutback as to scholarships. The plan is to cut costs without cutting athletics including more local scheduling and fund raisers. So I would expect Hofstra would not be cutting scholarships in any sport.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
There was an article in the Long Island Newsday (no Marcus) discussing both Hofstra and StonyBrook on just this. Both Athletic Directors were clear that no sports would be dropped or any sports cutback as to scholarships. The plan is to cut costs without cutting athletics including more local scheduling and fund raisers. So I would expect Hofstra would not be cutting scholarships in any sport.

Link?

Husky Alum
June 22nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
I remember Neil Grabois, Colgate's President at the time, discussing this proposed conference in our Alumni newspaper as an example of how eastern colleges and universities were re-evaluating football in the context of a discussion of Colgate's increasing lack of competitiveness in Division I-AA football during that period (1988 - 1995)

I think that was around the time Colgate left the North Atlantic Conference, so perhaps Colgate was one of the teams that was also part of that discussion. Shortly therafter, NU and Colgate actually had a home/home - which I believe was the last time our two schools played football against each other.

Husky Alum
June 22nd, 2009, 12:59 PM

As long as NU is a member of the CAA for football, we won't be reducing any scholarships, I'm sure of that.

andy7171
June 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
I think that was around the time Colgate left the North Atlantic Conference, so perhaps Colgate was one of the teams that was also part of that discussion. Shortly therafter, NU and Colgate actually had a home/home - which I believe was the last time our two schools played football against each other.

Towson would have been all over that at the time. We were contemplating dropping football like BU was, great time to be playing football. xnonono2x

With Towson(State) playing BU, CCSU, NU, Maine and URI in those years and being an independant, I think we may have been wanting in. Though I have no hard proof.