PDA

View Full Version : Western Carolina VS Gardner-Webb Part-2 The Real Lowdown!

OLDLCOACH111
June 18th, 2009, 09:24 PM
In my opinion.. Gardner-Webb Should win this game hands Down xnodx

Come on Western Carolina fans, playing in the SOCON will only get you so much respect, lets be truthful, Gardner-Webb program may not be where it needs to be, but I pretty much guarantee a GWU win......

Since 2006 Western Carolina has only won 6 games! And to horrible teams!!

2006-Chowan & Eastern Kentucky
2007-Presbyterian
2008-Shorter, Presbyterian, Chattanooga

“SOCON schedule this and that” Blah Blah….. Western would be the same team if they were in the Big South only wining 2-3 games a year…..

“I’m sorry; I had to get that off my chest”

g-webb1994
June 18th, 2009, 09:37 PM
So this was worth a seperate thread?xnonono2x

It is an important game for both squads no doubt. The only win G-W has in the series was the OT game we won a few years back in Boiling Springs....we won't talk about what happened last time in Cullowheeeee....it was ugly.

OLDLCOACH111
June 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Just a fresh thread that focuses on the game rather that all the behind the scenes player/coaching mess and bashing…

justsaying
June 18th, 2009, 09:49 PM

Come on Western Carolina fans, playing in the SOCON will only get you so much respect, lets be truthful, Gardner-Webb program may not be where it needs to be, but I pretty much guarantee a GWU win......

2007-Presbyterian

“SOCON schedule this and that” Blah Blah….. Western would be the same team if they were in the Big South only wining 2-3 games a year…..

I agree xthumbsupx Good Post!

Libertine
June 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM
So this was worth a seperate thread?xnonono2x

You mean a thread that actually refers to the upcoming game and not to the perpetual conflict between "puppies and kitties"? Oh, yeah, it's worth a new thread.

The Cats
June 19th, 2009, 05:11 AM

2007-Presbyterian

When your hangover wears off..... post what you really think, cause you obviously been drinking large quantities of something with a prediction like this. xnonox

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 07:30 AM
OLELCOACH you are correct in one way Western has been terrible the last three years but Gardner Webb has always been a doormat.I played at Western from 82 through 85 and we played in the 1AA Championship in 83 and we lost that game as well.Western has never fully recovered from Bob Waters passing and has really never committed to the program until recently with Dennis Wagner.Western has got a quality Head Coach as well as a supporting cast.They have run off 30 plus chump players the last two years and are getting in his type players.

Western will be starting at least 6 freshman (true)and probably 6 more redshirt frosh.We will still whip Gardner with that.The defense will be very fast and we have a Pre Season All America middle linebacker as well.The D-line will be quick and avg 6-2 and 265 ...............lots of zone blitzing .......lots of speed ...........long day for the Bull Dogs. Gardner Webb never has finished close to the top of the Big South either.

The Gardner Webb Ga Tech game was a once in a lifetime fluke......10-7 GTECH.Tech would beat you guys by 50 or 60 if you played another 10 times.You guys would be long time seller dwellers in the SOCON.xlolx

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 07:43 AM
HEY "THE CATS'

What years were you in attendance at Western???

EagleDawg
June 19th, 2009, 08:05 AM
WCU85 - You're right about the Ga. Tech deal, playing 50 times or whatever but the deal was on that one day it was 10-7. The Runnin Bulldogs are not playing WCU 50 times either, just once on Sept. 12th. WCU had there one shot against FSU last year and got hammered, FSU loses to Ga. Tech by 3, G-Webb loses to Ga. Tech by 3. Common opponents last year, both WCU and G-Webb lose to Liberty and both beat Presbyterian.

The game has the makings of a tight one with WCU young and inexperienced while athletic and G-Webb experienced and athletic. Sept. 12th will be here soon enough and the players can decide it on the field. The rest of our comments are just noise on a message board, fun noise but noise none the less.

It will come down to match-ups and if it's close, I like the more experienced team late in the game vs an inexperienced one albeit playing at home.

OLDLCOACH111
June 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM
OLELCOACH you are correct in one way Western has been terrible the last three years but Gardner Webb has always been a doormat.I played at Western from 82 through 85 and we played in the 1AA Championship in 83 and we lost that game as well.Western has never fully recovered from Bob Waters passing and has really never committed to the program until recently with Dennis Wagner.Western has got a quality Head Coach as well as a supporting cast.They have run off 30 plus chump players the last two years and are getting in his type players.

Western will be starting at least 6 freshman (true)and probably 6 more redshirt frosh.We will still whip Gardner with that.The defense will be very fast and we have a Pre Season All America middle linebacker as well.The D-line will be quick and avg 6-2 and 265 ...............lots of zone blitzing .......lots of speed ...........long day for the Bull Dogs. Gardner Webb never has finished close to the top of the Big South either.

The Gardner Webb Ga Tech game was a once in a lifetime fluke......10-7 GTECH.Tech would beat you guys by 50 or 60 if you played another 10 times.You guys would be long time seller dwellers in the SOCON.xlolx

How good you guys used to be holds no ground to me and quite frankly really doesn’t matter… Western is now the doormat of all 1-AA

Don’t be jealous that GWU can rise to the occasion and actually make it a game out of 1A competition instead of getting smacked and sent home like WCU does! Look at our history playing 1A competition, Gardner-Webb Played every one of those games tough…

Only FLUKE was Western beating Presbyterian last year 23-21….. xlolx Oh let not forget the Shorter college win xcoffeex

9 times out of 10, any Big South team would kick you guy’s butts!!!!!
Western Carolina Fans, keep hiding behind the SOCON thinking you have a excuse for losing 10 games a year, because you know if you step foot in any other conference, you would get exposed!!!

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Gardner Webb will always have thugs and academic casualties from D1 to cling to there OLE COACH.Its always been that way and you still finished in the middle of the pack even back when you were in the SAC-8.Ever heard of Dennis Wagenr ,well if you have not you will get to know him and just sit back and watch the rise back to respect at Western.

Meanwhile keep tabs on all those Prop 48's as they will come a knocking on GW's door..... SOON

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 08:51 AM
hey ole coach...last year presbyterian beat Liberty who spanked Gardner webb 30-10...so whats your point about presbyterian???

EagleDawg
June 19th, 2009, 09:37 AM
WCUCat85 - Yeah, we've heard of Dennis Wagner. He's a big fella who's trying to turn around a program that would have loved to have been 5-6 last season and will be lucky to be 5-6 this season. I believe he coached his team to a 3-8 record last year. What's your point? Not cool to infer that thugs or Prop 48's populate the G-Webb roster. I don't know of any and you probably don't either.

ASUG8
June 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM
How good you guys used to be holds no ground to me and quite frankly really doesn’t matter… Western is now the doormat of all 1-AA

Don’t be jealous that GWU can rise to the occasion and actually make it a game out of 1A competition instead of getting smacked and sent home like WCU does! Look at our history playing 1A competition, Gardner-Webb Played every one of those games tough…

Only FLUKE was Western beating Presbyterian last year 23-21….. xlolx Oh let not forget the Shorter college win xcoffeex

9 times out of 10, any Big South team would kick you guy’s butts!!!!!
Western Carolina Fans, keep hiding behind the SOCON thinking you have a excuse for losing 10 games a year, because you know if you step foot in any other conference, you would get exposed!!!

No offense, but did you miss the whole FBS/FCS transition? xoopsx

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM
They lost 4 games last year that a team that knows how to win would have done so....Kent Briggs left this group without any confidence and down trodden. Coach pushed this team to 3 victorys. They have to learn what it takes to win............He has kicked 33 players off the team and another 6 or so quit as they were being pushed finally

OLDLCOACH111
June 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Gardner Webb will always have thugs and academic casualties from D1 to cling to there OLE COACH.Its always been that way and you still finished in the middle of the pack even back when you were in the SAC-8.Ever heard of Dennis Wagenr ,well if you have not you will get to know him and just sit back and watch the rise back to respect at Western.

Meanwhile keep tabs on all those Prop 48's as they will come a knocking on GW's door..... SOON

Ha Ha Thugs? are you kidding me???? you need to grow up..... Last 5 years GWU has only had 2 FBS transfers...One of which is on the roster right now( darren rogers) and is a all academic big south performer...... DO YOUR RESEARCH!

OLDLCOACH111
June 19th, 2009, 10:54 AM
hey ole coach...last year presbyterian beat Liberty who spanked Gardner webb 30-10...so whats your point about presbyterian???

My point...FLUKE

Thumper250
June 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Last time I checked, G-W is 1-1 against the mighty Catamounts since moving to FCS/I-AA. The win in 2004 was by a GWU team that limped to a 5-6 record.

I don't honestly know how this year's game up there will turn out, but I do know this. GWU will be fielding by far its best team since 2002. That team went 9-1, although it was a weak I-AA schedule at that point. They will be deep and the group of linebackers is as good as any around. That All-American MLB you speak of at WCU was turned down by G-W, if it's the kid from Charlotte.

Poor students are not targeted by G-W much anymore. WCU normally has 9-10 Prop 48/Non qualifiers who pay their own way every two or three years and pass enough classes to get eligible and earn a scholly. Let's please not go there.

Academics at the University of Clyde Left of Asheville? My nephew went to WCU and I love the kid. But he ain't the brightest little fella.

Back to football: I don't know if any GWU overconfident enough to talk smack about this specific game, because I think it's honestly a toss up if for no other reason than its on the road. But, given the resources, Western should be a great ways better than they have been for the past 15 years.

GridFan
June 19th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Liberty has owned GWU for the past two seasons, true. GWU also beat the socks (haha) off of the Blue Hose last fall like 49-20. It was a laugher from the get go.

Most folks who follow Western Carolina football don't have a clue about modern day Gardner-Webb. It's not the NAIA/D2 program filled with JUCOs, transfers and the like. Looking at the roster, this might be the most experienced team they've ever fielded at the DI level on both sides of the football.

Mario Brown is back, and he's a beast. Jeff Williams is back, and he's a beast. The other two LB who will start are also very good. Like EagleDawg, I look forward to watching those couple of young D-Linemen help buckle down the middle to let Williams and Brown make their plays.

I won't knock Western's academics, because my dad went there. But I don't think they can talk down to anybody either. Let's keep it to foozball please.

Bottom line is this for the Bulldogs' season. If they can find a way to run the football consistently, and I have a feeling they can looking at what's back, they will win their fair share of games this year. Hopefully EagleDawg's youngin can clear some holes for those backs.

OldCoach, did you actually coach at G-W, or just play there? Just curious.

g-webb1994
June 19th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Gardner Webb never has finished close to the top of the Big South either.

What happened in 2002 and 2003?xchinscratchx

And OLELCOACH, our history with FBS level opponents isn't that rich:

2007:

Ohio 36 GW 14
Mississippi State 31 GW 15

2008:

Georgia Tech 10 GW 7

Reign of Terrier
June 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM

I'm noticing some continuity in your bashing of other schoolsxeyebrowx

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 19th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have a feeling
OLDCOACH111 and wcucat85 are the same person. xeyebrowx

It has to do with all the "........."s

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Feelings .....nothing more than feelings....feelings I have for you

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 03:01 PM
wrong try door number two where the prizes are even more fascinating

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
conspiracy theory huh Georgia Southern???

Libertine
June 19th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Three posts in six minutes? There is an 'edit' function, you know.

But then, by the look of things, I doubt you've ever edited yourself for any reason.

The Cats
June 19th, 2009, 04:57 PM
HEY "THE CATS'

What years were you in attendance at Western???

Class of '72

catamount man
June 19th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Another Boone goon attacking WCU. Wow. You know for some reason, it has been happening more and more on not just this board, but an influx of ASU fans have infiltrated Catamount Pride as well, to the point that a lot of long time WCU alums have just quit posting.

This begs the question WHY? Per ASU, we are nothing, we are losers, we are lower than dirt, so WHY the constant sabotage and constant cutdowns?

Just food for thought, but I know the real reason. Peace.

GaSouthern
June 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Western had a great win, they beat GSU by about 30 points.... oh wait... nevermind ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqGpzg8Cdg

wcucat85
June 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Oh Georgia Southern had 3 players graduate....................over the last 5 years

Appstate29
June 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM
Another Boone goon attacking WCU. Wow. You know for some reason, it has been happening more and more on not just this board, but an influx of ASU fans have infiltrated Catamount Pride as well, to the point that a lot of long time WCU alums have just quit posting.

This begs the question WHY? Per ASU, we are nothing, we are losers, we are lower than dirt, so WHY the constant sabotage and constant cutdowns?

CCC whining has reached a new high (or low?). Wish you guys could return to being our rivals.

ASUG8
June 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
See, we have this thing called the smack forum - you might want to try it. This is hardly "discussion".

Mods, I'd move to either strike the thread or move to smack.

catamount man
June 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
CCC whining has reached a new high (or low?). Wish you guys could return to being our rivals.

Be careful what you wish for. xthumbsupx

The Cats
June 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
CCC....

If you're gonna talk smack.... at least be original. xnonox

WCU LawCat
June 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Guys I see this being a fun game to watch with Western winning. Lets let it play out on the field. No point starting a GW/WCU hate fest with App and GSU fans jumping in poking the fire. Kinda silly.

DX Man
June 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM

I enjoy going over to the Catamount Pride Board, but rarely post, but come on, that board has some of the fewest posters I've ever seen and if a TRUE WCU fan is going to let someone from another university run them off their own board, then something is wrong. I do look forward to WCU and some of the other teams that have been in the bottom half of the SoCon improving. It can only make the conference stronger. My belief is that as long as ASU is in the SoCon, I want it to be the best FCS conference. I don't dislike Gardner-Webb, but I do hope that WCU beats them and I would prefer that the score not be close.

elcid83
June 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM
I was wondering if any of you WCU fans might actually be willing to help a brother out here. If I'm a GW fan and want to spend Saturday night near the football stadium - anticipating a big post-game celebration party - would any of you have any suggestions for a decent place to stay. Thanks in advance!

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

The Cats
June 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
If I'm a GW fan and want to spend Saturday night near the football stadium - anticipating a big post-game celebration party - would any of you have any suggestions for a decent place to stay. Thanks in advance!

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Had no idea you'd want to celebrate a Catamount victory.....

take your pick.... http://www.mountainlovers.com/content_recommended_lodging.asp

http://www.catamountsports.com/ot/wcar-visitors-guide.html

EagleDawg
June 25th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I guess now that word is out on Phil Steele's preseason Top 40 which shows Gardner-Webb ranked 27th, it would be a upset for the Cats to beat the Runnin'Dawgs. I like it and it at least indicates that somebody other than just GWU fans think GWU has the pieces to have a pretty good season. It's a start. Only 72 days until the season opener. xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

The Cats
June 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM
.....Phil Steele's preseason Top 40 .......

You're joking, right?????? xcoffeex

EagleDawg
June 26th, 2009, 02:11 PM
The Cats - No joking just a little good natured poking. Hey, it's been posted that Phil Steele had the most accurate pre-season prognostications from last year so what's wrong with riding that train again? Do you really think it would be an upset if the Dawgs win at WCU? Surely you jest! The Cats may be better in 09 but the Dawgs will be too. Game on.

The Cats
June 26th, 2009, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=EagleDawg;1362172 Hey, it's been posted that Phil Steele had the most accurate pre-season prognostications from last year[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see...... everyone else is "wrong" and Steele is "right" - right? xconfusedx

AppMan
June 27th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hard to believe is Western fans are actually engaged in a war of words with Gardner Webb fans.

EagleDawg
June 27th, 2009, 05:18 PM
AppMan - It's cuz the Runnin' Dawgs are a rising and the Cats are hoping to too but with the SOCON as tough as it is they gotta a high mountain to climb no pun intended but then again maybe it was. To win the SOCON you gotta go thru Boone and you most likely won't leave with any semblance of the confidence you arrived with. ASU is the FCS model everyone wants to emulate. After a one year championship absence, I fully expect you guys will be in Chattanooga come December. Everyone wants to get there but only two can and only leaves with big a big smile and a National Championship Trophy to carry home.

GWU ain't where they wanna be but I expect they are really gonna savor the opportunity to chomp on a little cat come Sept. 12th. If it don't happen, it won't be because the Dawgs ain't hungry.

EagleDawg
June 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
The Cats - No it's not that everyone else is wrong, it's just that Phil Steele was the most on point last season and it's not like Western is some Powerhouse. Just a friendly reminder,

Cats hammerd by Florida State
GWU loses a close one to Ga. Tech
Ga. Tech beats Florida State

all in 2009.

What you guys got coming back, the Dawgs have plenty and quite a bit of help in the freshman class. So what say you?

g-webb1994
June 27th, 2009, 05:59 PM
G-W also faced GT's fourth string QB in that game, while FSU got them at full strength....not a good comparison.

Using common opponents last season from the Big South would be more accurate:

Liberty 19 at WCU 16
G-W 10 at Liberty 30

WCU 23 at Presbyterian 21
Presbytertian 21 at G-W 47

Can't really draw anything conclusive from this either, the only thing that stands out how WCU played well against Liberty, the week after getting embarrassed at FSU.

EagleDawg
June 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
GWebb94 - I agree to a certain extent but some of those Cat fans think that the Dawgs won't be any good and I have a pretty good hunch that they will be. Only 70 days until the opener. EagleDawg, Jr. , the other new pups and most of the returning Dawgs arrived on campus Wednesday and are currently into conditioning, weight training and other stuff. The pieces are there to have a much improved season. I know there are doubters but work with me on this one, at least until you have a reason with this season's squad to think otherwise. xthumbsupx

The Cats
June 27th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hard to believe is Western fans are actually engaged in a war of words with Gardner Webb fans.

Well AppMan we aren't quite as high and might as you guys xcoffeex

AppMan
June 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Well AppMan we aren't quite as high and might as you guys xcoffeex

Perhaps you should to strive to be.

g-webb1994
June 28th, 2009, 09:41 PM
GWebb94 - I agree to a certain extent but some of those Cat fans think that the Dawgs won't be any good and I have a pretty good hunch that they will be. Only 70 days until the opener. EagleDawg, Jr. , the other new pups and most of the returning Dawgs arrived on campus Wednesday and are currently into conditioning, weight training and other stuff. The pieces are there to have a much improved season. I know there are doubters but work with me on this one, at least until you have a reason with this season's squad to think otherwise. xthumbsupx

On paper we look stronger....but you know the old adage about games not being played on paper. I'm still not sold on Doolittle at QB, would much rather them give the Browning kid from Raleigh a shot as a true freshman and build around him for four years instead....the kid has potential to be an absolute stud.

clinchBoy
June 28th, 2009, 10:04 PM
GW wont be as good as they were last year. Last year they were 5-6. If it wasn't for the Campbell kid stepping up and playing QB they would have lost a couple more. Without Campbell they lose to Stony Brook and VMI. Heck, Campbell was 10/13 passing against G Tech after Dolittle got hurt. If Doolittle was hurt against Charleston Southern they win. I could not figure out why Campbell was not the starter.

The Cats
June 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Perhaps you should to strive to be.

What a dumb a$$ statement, period. Does it make you feel big in your attempt to look down on another football program? Are you or have you been a football player for the mountaineers the last 4 years, if so - you got something to brag about, other wise, you're just a big mouth fan.