PDA

View Full Version : 2010: Georgia St. at Alabama

DFW HOYA
June 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
How's that for a first year opponent?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=txgastatealabama&prov=st&type=lgns

tribe_pride
June 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
How dumb is that? Not sure why this is a good for either team

Tribe4SF
June 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
How dumb is that? Not sure why this is a good for either team

That's a ridiculous matchup. ODU had been scheduled to play W&M in their first year, and wisely bought out of the game. Games against FBS opponents rarely bring much risk of physical injury, but this one may well. With a team comprised almost entirely of freshmen, the disparity in physical development will be extreme.

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Does the game even count towards bowl eligibility?

Georgia State will not have had the proper amount of equivalencies over a two-year period. Am I correct?

Tribe4SF
June 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Does the game even count towards bowl eligibility?

Georgia State will not have had the proper amount of equivalencies over a two-year period. Am I correct?

I'm assuming it will not count. The game makes no sense, other than to throw a bone to Bill Curry. I can't believe he's going to expose his players to this in year one.

blueballs
June 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Bill Curry coached at 'Bammer and was run out of town in a most unwise and unclassy way- perhaps because he had the gall to follw the Bear and perhaps because he was a Georgia Tech alum from the Bobby Dodd era and not a 'Bammer alum.

Perhaps this is 'Bammer's way of repaying a classy man who they s--t upon...

Jackman
June 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM
They'll have 40-something sophomore and freshmen scholarship players, and walk-ons mostly from the same years. Definitely questionable scheduling, especially on Alabama's side. The good news is that it's GSU's last game of the season, so they'll have plenty of time to recover from the epic beating that's going to take place.

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2009, 08:12 PM
They'll have 40-something sophomore and freshmen scholarship players, and walk-ons mostly from the same years. Definitely questionable scheduling, especially on Alabama's side. The good news is that it's GSU's last game of the season, so they'll have plenty of time to recover from the epic beating that's going to take place.

"40-something" will not be enough.

If they are not over the cutoff, Alabama may have just unintentionally hurt themselves with this one...

downbythebeach
June 17th, 2009, 08:25 PM
this is gonna be bad.....

terrible scheduling its gonna be 50-0 at half time

BearsCountry
June 17th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I would assume this is a "reward" game for the first year players at GA State. Also it helps Bama, looks like they need a late season OOC game. GA State would be cheaper than playing a Sun Belt and Bama gets a game where they cruise and get kids healthy for Auburn and bowls/SEC championship game.

Redbirdz
June 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Alabama won't play and IAA teams in the state but would go out of state and take a first year IAA team. Go figure. Jacksonville State and Samford would play Alabama. I think Jacksonville has an upcoming game with Auburn.

Alabama will not play Troy or UAB either. This is a very weak policy on the part of an ex-national champion. What are they afraid of?

Bull Fan
June 17th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Nothing good will come of this. At season's end when an obviously young and inexperienced team may be really banged up, could you imagine the physical beating this could be. You'd have to hope Saban will be resting his studs, and let the backups get some time. It's not 'Bama will need to run up a score for the voters. But then again....

U-G-L-Y...

Monarch History
June 17th, 2009, 10:20 PM
ODU's Bobby Wilder says the reason most FCS schools play FBS schools is when the school needs money to pay bills. He is against these games and told a story about when he was an assistant at Maine. "We played Mississippi State the year we were preseason top 5 and we beat the Bulldogs. It was a great win but unfortunately we lost four keys players to injuries for the year. The rest of the year we played .500 ball." He also used W&M as an example, citing W&M's loss to NC State and then going 8-3 in the CAA and being the last one out for the playoffs. He thought that loss kept them from getting a bid.

I don't care how good GSU is their first year, Curry will get his arse handed to him.

tribe_pride
June 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
ODU's Bobby Wilder says the reason most FCS schools play FBS schools is when the school needs money to pay bills. He is against these games and told a story about when he was an assistant at Maine. "We played Mississippi State the year we were preseason top 5 and we beat the Bulldogs. It was a great win but unfortunately we lost four keys players to injuries for the year. The rest of the year we played .500 ball." He also used W&M as an example, citing W&M's loss to NC State and then going 8-3 in the CAA and being the last one out for the playoffs. He thought that loss kept them from getting a bid.

I don't care how good GSU is their first year, Curry will get his arse handed to him.

At W&M, we hate the injury excuse. We actually have had more key injuries in a game against VMI than the FBS schools. As for the playoffs, he may be right, but playing against FBS schools can also attract recruits. Who is to say that we would have had the same team if we didn't play FBS schools.

JSU02
June 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Once again, I hate bammer.

SU DOG
June 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Alabama won't play and IAA teams in the state but would go out of state and take a first year IAA team. Go figure. Jacksonville State and Samford would play Alabama. I think Jacksonville has an upcoming game with Auburn.

Alabama will not play Troy or UAB either. This is a very weak policy on the part of an ex-national champion. What are they afraid of?

DITTO Redbirdz DITTO!!!

WMTribe90
June 17th, 2009, 11:42 PM

WM plays these games for several reasons. Money is one, but the program would survive without the pay day. The other reasons:

1) Recruiting Tool
2) Fan interest
3) Players love to test and prove themselves against the best
4) Early season test exposes any weaknesses and is good prep for CAA competition
5) Exposure

Sure, the IA game may occasionally keep a team from making the playoffs. The game could just as easily boost a team's playoff resume too. At any rate, the pro's far outweigh the cons. Lastly, in the 15 years I've been following Tribe football I have seen no evidence that IA v IAA games lead to more injuries for the IAA than other IAA games. Tribe Pride is correct in that over the years we have had more serious injuries occur in the VMI series than our IA match-ups.

WMTribe90
June 17th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah, this game is a horrible idea. Too soon for GSU and poor choice by Bama, as the game likely won't even count towards bowl eligibility. Testing your players is good, setting them up for a demoralizing loss is not.

apaladin
June 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM
At W&M, we hate the injury excuse. We actually have had more key injuries in a game against VMI than the FBS schools. As for the playoffs, he may be right, but playing against FBS schools can also attract recruits. Who is to say that we would have had the same team if we didn't play FBS schools.

His excuses hold no water at all. You can get hurt against anyone. Furman has lost more key players in games against teams like Mars Hill than FBS teams. The only time I can remember FU getting anyone hurt against FBS teams was the Pitt game a few years ago and those injuries were the result of dirty play on the part of Pitt players because FU was wearing them out. FBS losses are better for the playoff resume than many FCS wins. Ask Appy.

Monarch Nation
June 18th, 2009, 06:48 AM
This does sound like a "we have bills to pay and no donors to pay them" move. I heard that they were having trouble getting their practice facility underway, so this sacrificial game may be the financial push they need to get that finished.

If there are any GaState posters here, please correct me if I'm wrong about the above.

Still I think it is a risky move for a new team, and I'm glad it isn't us. I want ODU to play the SEC teams, but I'd like to do so when we have an actual shot at beating them as opposed to enough uniformed players taking on the role of David.

JMU2004
June 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM
wow....they have NO idea what they are doing. Those kids are going to get beaten into the turf by Bama's scout team.

BDKJMU
June 18th, 2009, 08:00 AM

W&M went 7-4 last yr, not 8-3.

The year Maine beat Miss State was 2004. And Maine was not preseason top 5, or even top 10 that year, in both the major polls:
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081604aae.html
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080904aad.html

So you either heard Wilder wrong, or he has amnesia.

tribe_pride
June 18th, 2009, 08:07 AM
This does sound like a "we have bills to pay and no donors to pay them" move. I heard that they were having trouble getting their practice facility underway, so this sacrificial game may be the financial push they need to get that finished.

If there are any GaState posters here, please correct me if I'm wrong about the above.

Still I think it is a risky move for a new team, and I'm glad it isn't us. I want ODU to play the SEC teams, but I'd like to do so when we have an actual shot at beating them as opposed to enough uniformed players taking on the role of David.

Better yet, once ODU gets a few years under itsbelt, the ACC schools would be better to go against. You have Maryland, UVA, VaTech, UNC, NC St., Wake Forest and Duke all within 1 state (some close, some far but all within a state). W&M is in the process of playing these schools. It'll be a good recruiting tool as ODU fans can go around and see these games and it's all more local.

For the same reason, GSU playing SEC schools makes sense but they are doing this several years too early. Anyone want to take a guess at what the line will be for that game?

GA St. MBB Fan
June 18th, 2009, 08:11 AM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2009/06/17/alabama_georgia_state.html

According to the AJC report linked above the original plan was to play Alabama in 2011 or 2012 (as was speculating from looking at the whiteboard in the ESPN article) but Alabama didn't have any openings.

Thus, Georgia State wanting the matchup (and the payday) decided to play Alabama in 2010.

GA St. MBB Fan
June 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Discussion on the GA State board -> http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=95963&view=unread#unread

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 18th, 2009, 08:33 AM
According to that article, GaStU is getting $400K for the game. I know this is a bus game for GaStU, but shouldn't they have been able to get more money? Based on what I've read about games at Florida and Oklahoma, I expected a payout of $600K. I suppose it really doesn't matter because IMHO there isn't enough money that could be paid to warrant taking this game. xtwocentsx xpeacex

TexasTerror
June 18th, 2009, 08:36 AM
According to that article, GaStU is getting $400K for the game. I know this is a bus game for GaStU, but shouldn't they have been able to get more money? Based on what I've read about games at Florida and Oklahoma, I expected a payout of $600K. I suppose it really doesn't matter because IMHO there isn't enough money that could be paid to warrant taking this game. xtwocentsx xpeacex

No - $400k for a bus trip is about right. SHSU got a hair less than that in 2005 to play Texas, who probably makes more on their gate than Alabama.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM
'Bama seems to want middle-of-the road or bad teams from good conferences for their FCS games (and no, I don't exactly think G State is going to make a run for the CAA title next year). So far they have played Western Carolina twice and they are playing Chatty this year. I think they're going to get more than they bargained for with GSU in 2011, seeing as about 80% of GSU's starters from this coming year will still be on the team that year. That game is going to be so awesome.

GA St. MBB Fan
June 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM
'Bama seems to want middle-of-the road or bad teams from good conferences for their FCS games (and no, I don't exactly think G State is going to make a run for the CAA title next year).

Well for what it is worth Georgia State won't be in the CAA until 2012.

GannonFan
June 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I've got no problem with this game, actually. So what if it's a mismatch, it'll be a mismatch for the next 50 years and almost every FCS school would lose by double digits in this game anyway.

But what Georgia St needs is a way to get their fanbase excited about football, and getting to play the likes of Alabama is one way to do that. Georgia St isn't ODU and they don't have the dedicated fanbase that will fill a 20k seat stadium just because they have a game against anyone. They've been very upfront that their ultimate goal, in 5, 10, or 20 years, is to be playing FBS football, and this just helps to make that goal seem like they mean it. Sure they could play a light schedule in the first year and pile up some wins, but that fanbase isn't going to be happy with wins over the Lamar's of the world. They'd rather get massacred by Alabama and get to see their school on ESPN highlights. To each their own. xthumbsupx

WMTribe90
June 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM
But what Georgia St needs is a way to get their fanbase excited about football, and getting to play the likes of Alabama is one way to do that. Georgia St isn't ODU and they don't have the dedicated fanbase that will fill a 20k seat stadium just because they have a game against anyone. They've been very upfront that their ultimate goal, in 5, 10, or 20 years, is to be playing FBS football, and this just helps to make that goal seem like they mean it. Sure they could play a light schedule in the first year and pile up some wins, but that fanbase isn't going to be happy with wins over the Lamar's of the world. They'd rather get massacred by Alabama and get to see their school on ESPN highlights. To each their own.

Competing againt an SEC school is a good way to help recruiting and excite the fan base, but getting embarrassed by an SEC team wouldn't ecite me as a fan. Its not even fair to pit a team of freshmen and sophmores completing their first year of college football against a top 25 BCS program just for a pay day. No other start-up program has scheduled an FBS program in their first year, not CCU, not ODU, and for good reason. GSU should have waited one more season to schedule a game like this. Seeing Bama highlights of Bama beating their new team 55-3 on ESPN isn't going to excite the casual GSU fans IMO. It will give the casual fans the false impression that FCS football isn't competitive or comparable to FBS. Lets be honest, the school is using their fledging program as a sacrificial lamb for a pay day. Nothing noble about it really.

GannonFan
June 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Competing againt an SEC school is a good way to help recruiting and excite the fan base, but getting embarrassed by an SEC team wouldn't ecite me as a fan. Its not even fair to pit a team of freshmen and sophmores completing their first year of college football against a top 25 BCS program just for a pay day. No other start-up program has scheduled an FBS program in their first year, not CCU, not ODU, and for good reason. GSU should have waited one more season to schedule a game like this. Seeing Bama highlights of Bama beating their new team 55-3 on ESPN isn't going to excite the casual GSU fans IMO. It will give the casual fans the false impression that FCS football isn't competitive or comparable to FBS. Lets be honest, the school is using their fledging program as a sacrificial lamb for a pay day. Nothing noble about it really.

Let's face it, they're not long for FCS anyway. GSU's always been very clear they have their eyes on FBS, something that the CCU's and ODU's of the world haven't been. And also, you're not very representative of someone in the GSU fanbase, nor am I. Neither of us would want our teams to start out like this, but to that fanbase and considering the direction GSU wants to go, it makes all the sense in the world. And your bolded sentence says a lot - it will prove to the fanbase that to be competitive with the 'Bama's of the world, they need to be in FBS.

And besides all that, GSU will have the excitement build for the next year about roadtripping to Tuscaloosa. They may be so blitzed from tailgating that they won't care about the scoreboard.

AtlantaMountaineer
June 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
The AJC this morning quotes Curry as saying he was hoping for a game against Alabama in 2011 or 2012 but they only had an opening for 2010.

Bull Fan
June 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I've got no problem with this game, actually. So what if it's a mismatch, it'll be a mismatch for the next 50 years and almost every FCS school would lose by double digits in this game anyway.

But what Georgia St needs is a way to get their fanbase excited about football, and getting to play the likes of Alabama is one way to do that. Georgia St isn't ODU and they don't have the dedicated fanbase that will fill a 20k seat stadium just because they have a game against anyone. They've been very upfront that their ultimate goal, in 5, 10, or 20 years, is to be playing FBS football, and this just helps to make that goal seem like they mean it. Sure they could play a light schedule in the first year and pile up some wins, but that fanbase isn't going to be happy with wins over the Lamar's of the world. They'd rather get massacred by Alabama and get to see their school on ESPN highlights. To each their own. xthumbsupx

Very compelling point of view. Forgetting the payout, the benefit of ending the season with a potential win against a Lamar of the world is taking some momentum into the offseason. But since the expectations of a brand-new program will be so low for a few years, they might as well help out the bank account.

You still have to hold FAU up as the example of how to get it done relatively quick. I truly wonder how they'd really do as a program if they weren't part of that horrid conference they call home....

jmufan999
June 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
geez guys, some of you are making it sound like the players are made of glass....

yes, they'll get crushed. but there's no way we can predict actual INJURIES based on a matchup. that's silly. they'll be FINE, Alabama is not going to be out for blood... if anything, they'll relax a little. the kids will be fine, it's a fantastic move for the program. BIG time money. and who knows, maybe they can get their foot in the door and make it a yearly thing, a la Youngstown State/OSU (yes, i realize the Tressel history at both schools, just making a point). great move for GSU.

TTUEagles
June 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Not to bash Georgia State, but this will be like Alabama playing an NAIA school...or Tennessee Tech.

WMTribe90
June 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm not saying there will be more injuries. But, GSU will play Alabama with roughly 45 scholarship players on the roster as opposed to a full 63. Take into account a season's worth of injuries and the number could easily drop to 40. If a few of the freshman haven't played by this point I doubt they would burn a red-shirt for just one game. So, its likely that GSU will face Alabama with as few as 35scholarship players suited up. The vast majority of those players, except for a few potential transfers, will have played a maximum of 10 college games. Consider the offensive and defensive lines, half of them (true freshmen) will have spent just a few months on campus. In season, these guys are doing maintenance lifting, probably twice a week, so physically there no stronger than they were when they graduated HS. Few, of these freshamn lineman will be physically ready to play DI football. I wish GSU the best, but for me its not worth setting your team up to fail to collect a pay day.

BearsCountry
June 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Let's face it, they're not long for FCS anyway. GSU's always been very clear they have their eyes on FBS, something that the CCU's and ODU's of the world haven't been. And also, you're not very representative of someone in the GSU fanbase, nor am I. Neither of us would want our teams to start out like this, but to that fanbase and considering the direction GSU wants to go, it makes all the sense in the world. And your bolded sentence says a lot - it will prove to the fanbase that to be competitive with the 'Bama's of the world, they need to be in FBS.

And besides all that, GSU will have the excitement build for the next year about roadtripping to Tuscaloosa. They may be so blitzed from tailgating that they won't care about the scoreboard.

Not to mention to get all the Bama alums and fans in Atlanta at least talking about Georgia State. Any pub is good pub.

mathman
June 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM

I basically agree with this. This is a good way for Curry to send a signal to the alum and Atlanta that Georgia State is serious about football. No one is expecting Georgia State to win or even make it a respectable scoring game. But it shows that they have the guts to face a top flight BCS program. It also sends a signal to recruits that Georgia State will schedule those kind of games. Georgia State won't be playing only those "never heard of'em" teams. Georgia and Georgia Tech get most of the spotlight in Atlanta so this game will definitely get some local publicity and everywhere in the country the sports press will note who Alabama plays regardless of the score. And an extra $400,000 for a fledgling program doesn't hurt either where fundraising has been disappointing so far.

But I don't understand why Alabama would schedule this. Way too easy a team to beat. Did they get caught without an opponent to fill out their schedule? I just hope Bama plays their 1st string for no longer than the first half to give them some real game prep for when they face Auburn. Then send in the second, third, fourth... strings in the second half to give them some game experience in case they are needed against Auburn. This will be like a practice/game for Alabama.

Thanks to Title IX there aren't any JV teams. It would have been better for Georgia State to play an Alabama JV team.

BearsCountry
June 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
But I don't understand why Alabama would schedule this. Way too easy a team to beat. Did they get caught without an opponent to fill out their schedule?

I would assume late November is a hard time to find an OOC game. Not to mention they already have Penn State and Duke on the OOC bracket so its not like they aren't lacking "name" programs on it.

Monarch Nation
June 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I keep hearing that they're not going to be in FCS long, but suppose they suck and nobody shows up to the games (pretty much the same as their basketball team)? What happens to their FBS aspirations then?

I have a funny feeling that even though they are located in Georgia and playing in the Ga Dome, they aren't going to FBS anytime soon.

slycat
June 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I like it. Nice payday and great exposure the first year.

GA St. MBB Fan
July 25th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Curry talks about the future schedule and the rationale for playing Alabama so early.

Read it for your self here:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/building-first-gsu-football-100630.html?cxtype=rss_sports_88838

bandit
July 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Great for Georgia State. I really hope they succeed. I admire schools that decide to make a start of something and see it through. They want to elevate themselves, and it seems things are going well so far. Kudos to them.

Husky Alum
July 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
But suppose they suck and nobody shows up to the games (pretty much the same as their basketball team)? What happens to their FBS aspirations then?

They can play Idaho every year in the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Stupid is as Stupid Does Bowl - if Bubba Gump is still open. xsmiley_wix

mountaineertider
July 26th, 2009, 12:49 PM
My dad donates quite a bit to his alma mater (he played Golf at 'Bama while the Bear was AD) and he called the football office asking about the rationale behind the game. They said they were, as someone said here "throwing a bone to Curry". They also claimed to have a BCS conference team back out on a home and home series and didn't want to be scrambling for a game in the offseason.

If that's 100% true, IDK, just what they've said.

Monarch Nation
July 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Throwing a bone to Curry? It's going to be more like beating him on the head with it over and over.

mountaineertider
July 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I would agree, but that's what he told them.