PDA

View Full Version : SoCon versus FBS 2009

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Which game carries the best chance of getting a win over an FBS? There's 11 games, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no one will pick Chatty and Alabama.

blueballs
June 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Wisconsin had all kinds of trouble defending Cal Poly's option last year, so much so that it took a miracle of incompetency by Cal Poly's kicker to gift wrap the win for Wisconsin. For that reason I would take Wofford to have the best chance to pull the upset although App's talent is closest to ECU's of any of the matchups listed.

BossEagle
June 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I voted App, I think Eastern Carolina isn't really that good of a team really, they have playmakers but I think App. is loaded with talent, and i think they win. I also'd take Samford over UCF

TexasTerror
June 17th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I went with Woffy!

apaladin
June 18th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I went with Woffy!

Wofford lost a lot of starters although I expect they will still be very competitive.

ASUG8
June 18th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I went with ASU, but the ankle biters were a close second. I'd love to see the Eagles take down UNC, but I think the heels may be too much for them.

OLDMAIN80
June 18th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Lots of opportunities for wins this year:
App over ECU
Georgia Southern over UNC
Furman over Auburn
and my pick (of course) Wofford over Wisconsin

Wouldn't suprise me if the SOCON went .500 against FBS this year.

biggie
June 18th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Voted App.

But wouldn't be shocked to see Elon over WF either.

DLS
June 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM
ecu is about a 60/40 shot that app wins which is better than anyone elses chances i think.
ecu is beatable and asu fans will be more present at the game than the last two excursions.

gophoenix
June 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Voted App.

But wouldn't be shocked to see Elon over WF either.

Would be nice, I don't see it though. Wake is still a good team, and we may be good , but we have nothing that Wake can't guard against.

I also think App has a chance against ECU, but by no means a done deal.

I think the best chance is Samford against UCF or Wofford against Wisconsin personally.

Skjellyfetti
June 18th, 2009, 10:57 AM
This is what I think in order from most probable to least.

1. Samford @ Central Florida
2. Wofford @ South Florida
3. Elon @ Wake Forest
4. Appalachian State @ East Carolina
5. Wofford @ Wisconsin
6. Furman @ Missouri
7. Georgia Southern @ North Carolina
8. Furman @ Auburn
9. Western Carolina @ Vanderbilt
10. The Citadel @ North Carolina

Would be nice, I don't see it though. Wake is still a good team, and we may be good , but we have nothing that Wake can't guard against.

I don't know... Wake lost A LOT in the secondary and at linebacker. Their front four will still be good... but, I think Elon should be able to score some points on them.

Navy Dog
June 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I had to go with my homer vote for El Cid.

Longshot - but so were South Carolina, Arkansas, Army & Navy in the early '90s. We need some of that old giant-killer magic back.

GO DOGS!!!!

ElSissy
June 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
It's funny how Butch Davis constantly talks about upgrading UNC's schedule with teams like Penn State, Nebraska, etc., but he is playing against two SoCon teams this season.

The Cats
June 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM
This is what I think in order from most probable to least.

1. Samford @ Central Florida
2. Wofford @ South Florida
3. Elon @ Wake Forest
4. Appalachian State @ East Carolina
5. Wofford @ Wisconsin
6. Furman @ Missouri
7. Georgia Southern @ North Carolina
8. Furman @ Auburn
9. Western Carolina @ Vanderbilt
10. The Citadel @ North Carolina

I don't know... Wake lost A LOT in the secondary and at linebacker. Their front four will still be good... but, I think Elon should be able to score some points on them.

I think you can put the ASU/ECU game at around 8 or 9

Skjellyfetti
June 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I think you can put the ASU/ECU game at around 8 or 9

Care to explain that statement? Judging by the results of the poll... I feel I have that game lower than most would.

PaladinFan
June 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Mark it down. Furman will win one of the two FBS games they are playing this year. Both those teams are rebuilding and Furman historically wears out FBS competition, even when they top of their game.

89Hen
June 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Lots of opportunities for wins this year:
App over ECU
Georgia Southern over UNC
Furman over Auburn
and my pick (of course) Wofford over Wisconsin

Wouldn't suprise me if the SOCON went .500 against FBS this year.
xeyebrowx Really? I had trouble picking the most likely. It would surprise me if there were 2 wins in there. It's too bad that for the most part, the better the SoCon team, the better the competition. If you could juggle the opponents, I think you might see more than one win. xpeacex

fuEMO
June 18th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I think both of Furman's FBS games are interesting matchups.

FU vs Missouri – Missouri is rebuilding and Furman loves throw interesting schemes at FBS opponents unfamiliar with Furman, the good news here Furman has the personal now to really cause problems for speedy teams that overrun plays.

Fu vs Auburn - I don't think most people on this board understand what this game means to some of the Furman players with Alabama ties… Furman historically has played it's best games against FCS schools late in the season. I think this game will be a battle to the wire.

Reign of Terrier
June 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Care to explain that statement? Judging by the results of the poll... I feel I have that game lower than most would.

look at WHO voted and you won't be surprised (homerism).

I picked Wofford because of the whole option trouble thing but I'm not getting my hopes up on anything.

Gil Dobie
June 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I picked App St, which looks like the best SoCon team to start the season. I don't think Wisconsin will get caught sleeping this year like last year. It's tough to beat a BCS conference team.

Skjellyfetti
June 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
look at WHO voted and you won't be surprised (homerism).

I picked Wofford because of the whole option trouble thing but I'm not getting my hopes up on anything.

Without homer votes the App - ECU game is still in first with Samford - Central Florida and Wofford - Wisconsin tied for second after Wofford's homer votes are removed from their results.

I still don't think it's ridiculous to have App - ECU as the fourth most likely...

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I picked App St, which looks like the best SoCon team to start the season. I don't think Wisconsin will get caught sleeping this year like last year. It's tough to beat a BCS conference team.

It wasn't the first time they got a scare from an FCS team. Wisconsin got all they could handle from The Citadel in 2007. The game was tied at halftime and they ended up beating them by 14. That Wisconsin team was a preseason top-10 and finished in the top-25. This year's Wisconsin team won't even be that good.

As for my pick, my opinion on the App. State ECU game has not changed as it being one of the top 10 most winnable FCS-FBS game this year. I've taken another look at Wofford-Wisconsin and Samford-UCF and I think both of those might come first. Wofford should have a rhythm going by the time the UW game comes and Samford is going to have a great defense and running game.

T-Dog
June 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM

I also think App has a chance against ECU, but by no means a done deal.

I think the best chance is Samford against UCF or Wofford against Wisconsin personally.

Oh come on. App has beaten Wake six times since the FCS/FBS split. Surely Elon can put up a fight with it's aerial attack.

I'd have to vote for Wofford though. El Citadel gave Wisconsin a game back in 2007 and Cal Poly all but won in 2008. Wisconsin plays bad against FCS teams and Wofford plays great against FBS teams (South Carolina last year) so they have as best a chance as anyone on the poll.

And App is 2nd. xcoolx

But realistically, eight of those ten games could cause the home teams to sweat bullets. Sorry Western and El Cit, but I don't think you'll come close.

PaladinFan
June 18th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I think both of Furman's FBS games are interesting matchups.

FU vs Missouri – Missouri is rebuilding and Furman loves throw interesting schemes at FBS opponents unfamiliar with Furman, the good news here Furman has the personal now to really cause problems for speedy teams that overrun plays.

Fu vs Auburn - I don't think most people on this board understand what this game means to some of the Furman players with Alabama ties… Furman historically has played it's best games against FCS schools late in the season. I think this game will be a battle to the wire.

Last year UT-M, in the same spot on Auburn's schedule, gave the Tigers a whale of a game at Auburn. Furman will suprise an Auburn team who scheduled them right between three major conference matchups.

Neither AU nor Missou will be that familiar with Furman. Bobby Lamb likes to pull out a lot of plays against the FBS schools that won't show up in the playbook against conference opponents.

ASU
June 18th, 2009, 10:51 PM
What would the press say if the FCS teams ALL won?

Reign of Terrier
June 18th, 2009, 10:55 PM

they'd joke and say we should be a BCS conference

elcid96
June 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Dogs turn to finally put some magic back in the game!!

Navy Dog
June 19th, 2009, 07:38 AM

It would be a great day for the SOCON's reputation, but we would have a heck of a hard time finding "money games" in the future.

It wouldn't surprise me if App State has run into this problem after the Michigan win. Anyone have any details about 1-A teams ducking 1-AA competition? Note: I know about the FBS/FCS vs 1-A/1-AA stuff--but I'm an old dog & the "new trick" locker is empty.xnonono2x

terrierbob
June 19th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Our 23-13 loss at S. Carolina last year was pretty fun.

DLS
June 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM
It would be a great day for the SOCON's reputation, but we would have a heck of a hard time finding "money games" in the future.

It wouldn't surprise me if App State has run into this problem after the Michigan win. Anyone have any details about 1-A teams ducking 1-AA competition? Note: I know about the FBS/FCS vs 1-A/1-AA stuff--but I'm an old dog & the "new trick" locker is empty.xnonono2x

michigan brought in more money than app knows what to do with. alumni are much more giving when things go well.

app may be the only fcs team that does need a "money game"

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Paladin Fan drop the Kent Briggs thing man ....Kent was well.........a loser,weak,no control of his players etc etc........Dennis Wagner has run off 33 of Briggs recruits to date!!

Played at Western from 81 to 84 ...we were 4-0 against Tweestie Tech....Um I mean Appy State.........games were not even close either....I recall seeing bags on App fans heads....hearing chants "Mikes not Working ...Mikes not Working'HAHAHA...

APP FANS I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT PAST HISTORY......RICHMOND IS NOW KING OF THE HILL. ..... Dino Hackett was a chump I personally knocked him on his A$$ several times in the early 80's.

I dont see how App keeps getting away with getting players who cant score well enough on the SAT or ACT.It will soon catch up to you just like Georgia 'WE KEEP LOSING SCHOLARSHIPS Southern.Georgia Southern never gets it either they keep bringing in thugs over and over.Yes it wins games,but it ultimately decimates your program or brings it down......EXAMPLES MIAMI FL,FLORIDA STATE are just a few.

There has never been any real effort to building up Westerns program until a year ago when Dennis Wagner and his staff were brought in.

This guy has been a winner everywhere he has been and laugh all you want to right now at Western, but Wagner will have a laugh soon!...Very soon

Georgia Southern escaped last year as well as Furman and three other schools and we had less than stellar talent. KENT BRIGGS HAD TOTALLY DESTROYED THE PROGRAM BY THE TIME HE LEFT.

Wagner is the next great coach in the SOCON.

NOW EVERYONE BRING ON THE HATE..............I WAS NOT GOING TO SIT BACK AND TAKE ALL THE HITS ON WESTERN ANYMORE

xmadx

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
YOU LOST,....................LOSING IS FUN?????YOU SOUND LIKE OBAMA

TERRIER FAN

Skjellyfetti
June 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Played at Western from 81 to 84 ...we were 4-0 against Tweestie Tech....Um I mean Appy State.........games were not even close either....I recall seeing bags on App fans heads....hearing chants "Mikes not Working ...Mikes not Working'HAHAHA...

APP FANS I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT PAST HISTORY......

xconfusedx

Well, I know you say you don't want to hear about past history... but, you brought up 4 games back in the 1980's... So, I just thought I should point out that we are 22-2 against you since then. xcoffeex

http://people.delphiforums.com/appst89/WCU%20TIX.JPG

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM
GOOD ONE..........

Well if you count only football in the wars between App and Western.yes...but...We finished ahead of App in lets see......BASEBALL,OUTDOOR TRACK (MEN),WOMENS BASKETBALL,MENS BASKETBALL TO NAME A FEW SO YOUR LITTLE DISPLAY IS WELL............. WRONG......I have to say I admired APP fans last year when Richmond dismantled you in Boone.

I know a lot of the players from APP that played in the early 80"sthat hate to see me in the fall and I work with one as well.Its nice to throw that 4 year period in their face as they never knew what it was like to hold that jug much like Western players today.We finallyhave a quality coach so we will see what happens going forward.

blueballs
June 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Paladin Fan drop the Kent Briggs thing man ....Kent was well.........a loser,weak,no control of his players etc etc........Dennis Wagner has run off 33 of Briggs recruits to date!!

APP FANS I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT PAST HISTORY......RICHMOND IS NOW KING OF THE HILL. ..... Dino Hackett was a chump I personally knocked him on his A$$ several times in the early 80's.

I dont see how App keeps getting away with getting players who cant score well enough on the SAT or ACT.It will soon catch up to you just like Georgia 'WE KEEP LOSING SCHOLARSHIPS Southern.Georgia Southern never gets it either they keep bringing in thugs over and over.Yes it wins games,but it ultimately decimates your program or brings it down......EXAMPLES MIAMI FL,FLORIDA STATE are just a few.

There has never been any real effort to building up Westerns program until a year ago when Dennis Wagner and his staff were brought in.

This guy has been a winner everywhere he has been and laugh all you want to right now at Western, but Wagner will have a laugh soon!...Very soon

Georgia Southern escaped last year as well as Furman and three other schools and we had less than stellar talent. KENT BRIGGS HAD TOTALLY DESTROYED THE PROGRAM BY THE TIME HE LEFT.

NOW EVERYONE BRING ON THE HATE..............I WAS NOT GOING TO SIT BACK AND TAKE ALL THE HITS ON WESTERN ANYMORE

xmadx

Name one thug on GSU's team and please provide the police report or public records to back up your claim. Also, please furnish us with an exact figure of scholarships GSU will be short heading into 2009.

As far as GSU escaping from Cullowhee, you're right. GSU managed the greatest fourth quarter comeback in the history of the division on the road with over 30 freshmen playing.

Was it a matter of GSU's youngsters- who by the way will be even better this year, I would imagine we've seen the nadir of GSU football 2006-2008 and WCU STILL couldn't defeat the Eagles- playing great or did WCU CHOKE or was it a little of both?

Wagner may turn out to be great but he needs to win something first and so far he hasn't shown the goods. There is no way to make a case that he is even in the top 5 coaches in the conference because two have won NC's, one has led a team to a title appearance, and still another has led a team to a semifinal appearance and another has led a team to multiple playoff appearances. Your guy hasn't had a winning record yet.

If you want to talk about the 1980's fine, but let's start with 3 NC's and 15-0-0 because that's as good as it gets.

wcucat85
June 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Like I said the hate will come...............experiment satisfied.

Lets start with the scholarship issue.Yes over the last three years there have been some taken away.Its all over the sports pages in Savannah as well as freinds I have in Statesboro who say the same.Your wrong and its due to the sub sub par academics of those thugs you bring in to play football for you.Your best coach you ever had played ball at Western and is now at Ga Tech as well...Yes Paul Johnson is a WESTERN ALUMNI!The thug or well one of the thugs I refer to is the kid who left Ohio State to come to GSU....According to friends I have who live in Statesboro he was nothing less than a thug.........Tracy Ham could not read according to the acquaintence of mine in Statesboro and these folks are GSU boosters and they laugh about it.
The coach who was before Hatcher was the only coach you have had that tried to root out the morons and thugs you have at GSU.

I know for a fact a coach you have their now was threatened by a set of parents for things he has said to the student athletes on the practice field.

Your wrong and Im correct.CHECK YOUR FACTS BUDDY.....My friend works in the administration dept at GSU and lives in Brooklet.FACTS ARE FACTSxbawlingx

STOP CRYING...JUST REMEMBER WIN AT ALL COSTS...............THATS GSU FOOTBALL....ROGUE BALL.......RUN AND SHOOT REPLACES HAMM BONE

Reign of Terrier
June 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
YOU LOST,....................LOSING IS FUN?????YOU SOUND LIKE OBAMA

TERRIER FAN

dude you really need more posts before you start slamming other teams, especially when those teams beat you by say 28 POINTS

What was the score between Western and FSU? wasn't it like 46-0???

I'll take 23-13 against SC any day.

and keep your politics in the poli wing newb.

gophoenix
June 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Oh come on. App has beaten Wake six times since the FCS/FBS split. Surely Elon can put up a fight with it's aerial attack.

1980: 5-6 (App lost)
1981: 4-7 (App lost)
1982: 3-8 (App lost)
1983: 4-7 (App won)
1984: 6-5 (App lost)
1985: 4-7 (App lost)
1986: 5-6 (App lost)
1987: 7-4 (App lost)
1988: 6-4-1 (App tied)
1989: 2-8-1 (App won)
1990: 3-8 (App lost)
1991: 3-8 (App won)
1992: 8-4 (App lost)
1993: 2-9 (App lost)
1994: 3-8 (App lost)
1995: 1-10 (App won)
1996: 3-8 (App lost)
1998: 3-8 (App won)
2000: 2-9 (App won)
2001: 6-5 (App lost)

Sure, App won 6 times and lost more than double that many. Those Wake teams that App beat combined for 15 wins total (that's near as many wins as App had in 2006). Add to that that App never beat a Wake team that had a winning record.

Elon might be able to score some, but we won't beat them. And just because App beat some bad Wake teams (and lost to plenty of bad Wake teams) doesn't mean we can, or will, be able to make any noise. Wake is no longer a bad or mediocre team like they were in the 80s and 90s.

Reign of Terrier
June 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Lets start with the scholarship issue.Yes over the last three years there have been some taken away.Its all over the sports pages in Savannah as well as freinds I have in Statesboro who say the same.Your wrong and its due to the sub sub par academics of those thugs you bring in to play football for you.Your best coach you ever had played ball at Western and is now at Ga Tech as well...Yes Paul Johnson is a WESTERN ALUMNI!The thug or well one of the thugs I refer to is the kid who left Ohio State to come to GSU....According to friends I have who live in Statesboro he was nothing less than a thug.........Tracy Ham could not read according to the acquaintence of mine in Statesboro and these folks are GSU boosters and they laugh about it.
The coach who was before Hatcher was the only coach you have had that tried to root out the morons and thugs you have at GSU.

I know for a fact a coach you have their now was threatened by a set of parents for things he has said to the student athletes on the practice field.

Your wrong and Im correct.CHECK YOUR FACTS BUDDY.....My friend works in the administration dept at GSU and lives in Brooklet.FACTS ARE FACTSxbawlingx

STOP CRYING...JUST REMEMBER WIN AT ALL COSTS...............THATS GSU FOOTBALL....ROGUE BALL.......RUN AND SHOOT REPLACES HAMM BONE

they may be recruiting thugs but if you would notice they aren't staying on the team...get your facts straight before you slandering other schools, the Ohio state guy is no longer on the team. And what facts are you presenting? "uh I heard from one guy that your players are mean"xconfusedx. post a link. Posting "I'm right and your wrong" does not count as a fact.xrulesx

Eaglesrus
June 19th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Lets start with the scholarship issue.Yes over the last three years there have been some taken away.Its all over the sports pages in Savannah as well as freinds I have in Statesboro who say the same.Your wrong and its due to the sub sub par academics of those thugs you bring in to play football for you.Your best coach you ever had played ball at Western and is now at Ga Tech as well...Yes Paul Johnson is a WESTERN ALUMNI!The thug or well well one of the thugs I refer to is the kid who left Ohio State to come to GSU.....According to friends I have who live in Statesboro he was nothing less than a thug.........Tracy Ham could not read according to the acquaintence of mine in Statesboro and these folks are GSU boosters and they laugh about it.

You obviously have about as much knowledge of GSU as you have friends and acquaintences that are "GSU boosters"; in other words, none.

1) "All over the sports pages in Savannah"? I am a subscriber to the Savannah Morning News. It is true that we have lost a few scholarships due to APR, and it has been mentioned in the Savannah paper, and if you feel the need to blow it way out of proportion to try to make a point I guess that's your perogative.

2) "one of the thugs I refer to is the kid who left Ohio State to come to GSU"? The person that you refer to is no longer at GSU, so the question remains for you to name a thug that is on GSU's team.

3) "Your best coach you ever had played ball at Western and is now at Ga Tech as well". Paul Johnson is a great coach, but the best we ever had was Erk Russell.

4) "Tracy Ham could not read according to the acquaintence of mine in Statesboro and these folks are GSU boosters and they laugh about it". You obviously have never met anyone who has ever met Tracy Ham (I wish you would meet him and say this to his face, however).

5) "I know for a fact a coach you have their now was threatened by a set of parents for things he has said to the student athletes on the practice field". First I ever heard of this incident, but if it happened how is that a black mark against GSU? Threatened the coach? Sounds like the parents would be the one's that have a problem.

6) "Your wrong and Im correct". xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

7) Why am I even responding to your ridiculous rant? I have no clue.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 19th, 2009, 02:42 PM

So correcting your factual errors is "hate"?

Lets start with the scholarship issue.Yes over the last three years there have been some taken away.Its all over the sports pages in Savannah as well as freinds I have in Statesboro who say the same.

And yet GSU has still stayed out of more trouble than Chatty. Why aren't you calling them a "thug team"?

The thug or well one of the thugs I refer to is the kid who left Ohio State to come to GSU.....According to friends I have who live in Statesboro he was nothing less than a thug.........

He was arrested on prostitution-related charges. That's hardly the most heinous thing done by college players in recent history no matter what your opinion of prostitution is.

Tracy Ham could not read according to the acquaintence of mine in Statesboro and these folks are GSU boosters and they laugh about it.

It's true that the man is not that articulate, but yes, he can read. It's not like your grammar, syntax, and spelling are really polished, either.

You've got to be kidding. Hatcher has removed many more players from the team than VanGorder. You lose your credibility saying stupid stuff like this.

Your best coach you ever had played ball at Western and is now at Ga Tech as well...Yes Paul Johnson is a WESTERN ALUMNI!

Many (even non-GSU fans) might argue Erk Russell was the best. What's your point in saying this, anyways?

Again, what's your point?

Navy Dog
June 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM
So correcting your factual errors is "hate"?

And yet GSU has still stayed out of more trouble than Chatty. Why aren't you calling them a "thug team"?

He was arrested on prostitution-related charges. That's hardly the most heinous thing done by college players in recent history no matter what your opinion of prostitution is.

It's true that the man is not that articulate, but yes, he can read. It's not like your grammar, syntax, and spelling are really polished, either.

You've got to be kidding. Hatcher has removed many more players from the team than VanGorder. You lose your credibility saying stupid stuff like this.

Many (even non-GSU fans) might argue Erk Russell was the best. What's your point in saying this, anyways?

Again, what's your point?

Nothing like a little SOCON on SOCON violence. Pass the popcorn. xcoolx

phoenix3
June 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
My homer pick was Elon over Wake ... Of course it's possible, probable??? Don't be surprised if GS sneaks up on UNC. The tarholes have a history of overlooking opponents. Just because Mr. Big Name Davis is there now doesn't change anything. If GS wins, chalk it up to their D.

blueballs
June 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM
EaglesRus and FCS:

I think if we were to actually chronicle the GSU/Western Carolina series we would find the source of this hater's consternation... as bad as App has beaten down the Cantamounts through the years, GSU's dominance has been more thorough and the beatings have been even worse, despite the fact that for years WCU had what was easily the dirtiest team in the conference.

Only in the world of the Cantamount can we see the silver lining in a 3 win season, take pride in another team's legendary coach, revel in inuendo and unfounded rumors because that's all they have to hang on, and call a millionaire CEO of an IT company who does color commentary on his conference's TV broadcasts illiterate.

To quote the poet laureate Shaquille O'Neal, "Cantamount, tell me how my ass tastes."

Eaglesrus
June 20th, 2009, 07:59 AM
EaglesRus and FCS:

I think if we were to actually chronicle the GSU/Western Carolina series we would find the source of this hater's consternation... as bad as App has beaten down the Cantamounts through the years, GSU's dominance has been more thorough and the beatings have been even worse, despite the fact that for years WCU had what was easily the dirtiest team in the conference.

Only in the world of the Cantamount can we see the silver lining in a 3 win season, take pride in another team's legendary coach, revel in inuendo and unfounded rumors because that's all they have to hang on, and call a millionaire CEO of an IT company who does color commentary on his conference's TV broadcasts illiterate.

To quote the poet laureate Shaquille O'Neal, "Cantamount, tell me how my ass tastes."

Quotes from wcucat85:

This Thread: "Played at Western from 81 to 84"

Western Carolina VS Gardner-Webb Part-2 thread: "I played at Western from 82 through 85"

Yeah, I guess we need to cut him a little slack as he appears to be a bit addled.

BEAR
June 20th, 2009, 08:38 AM
After reading all these posts, they all appear to be looking to upset an FBS team and even they are not sure. I'm going with the "NONE OF THEM WILL WIN ANY OF THESE GAMES" option that is not listed here. Of course there is always a chance, but my guess is "not". xlolx

AppSt.09
June 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Yes, the hate will come when you post a stream of biased and untrue comments bashing other schools when there was nothing posted in this thread that warranted your comments. For someone that doesn't want to bring the past into this argument you mentioned a football great and four down years for our program. The athletics at your college may have finished ahead of ASU in a few sports this year, but look at App's mens sports. Winning the All-Sports Commissioner's Cup for the fourth straight year. Western finished fourth. So go ahead and talk crap about the better school and giving other western fans a bad name

Appstate29
June 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM

xmadx

Yeah, and then Dino Hackett went on to play in the NFL and then got his number retired at ASU, while you went on to talk ***** on a message board and wallow in obscurity. I hope we beat you by 100 this year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'm well aware of our record against WCU. It's just that Western is very well represented on this board for a team that has been pretty crummy for the last 25 years or so and most of them don't talk trash to GSU, so I thought I'd avoid bringing those kinds of facts up.

phoenixphanatic21
June 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Nothing like a little SOCON on SOCON violence. Pass the popcorn. xcoolx

Man ive missed this haha. Its good to have football almost back. Hey give me some of that popcorn too.

My homer pick was Elon over Wake ... Of course it's possible, probable??? Don't be surprised if GS sneaks up on UNC. The tarholes have a history of overlooking opponents. Just because Mr. Big Name Davis is there now doesn't change anything. If GS wins, chalk it up to their D.

I did the same. I gotta vote for Elon. I could see us beating them, but not expecting it. I'd put my money on either Wofford-Wisconsin or App-ECU.

Aho_Old_Guy
June 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
My money's on 0-10 xbawlingx

Best shot may be FU v Mizzou but the Big 12 pretty much 'reloads' these days - so I took the Sammies over Central Florida.

Wake is gonna pound Elon - probably rush for 300+ yards.

The only way Appalachian beats EZU is if the Pie-roots gift wrap it by stinkin' up the place.

And I wish the folks from WZU would generate a winning record before they start talkin' smack ... xnonox

CrackerRiley
June 24th, 2009, 08:24 PM
5 people voting for Western over Vandy?! Come on....
9 votes for GSU?! Come on!

...I voted Samford. xwhistlex

HensRock
June 25th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Do people really think that Wofford has a better chance of beating Wisconsin than South Florida?
That looks strange to me, but I'm not that familiar with USF.

Reign of Terrier
June 25th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Do people really think that Wofford has a better chance of beating Wisconsin than South Florida?

ditto

Skjellyfetti
June 25th, 2009, 01:28 PM

I agree.

South Florida looks to be a good bit worse than they have been the last few years and Wisconsin looks to be a little bit better.

blueballs
June 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Only because Wisconsin had so much trouble defending Cal Poly's option in 2008...

If Wisconsin doesn't defend Wofford any better than they did Cal Poly they will get beat because Wofford won't miss all the kicks Cal Poly did.

AlphaSigMD
June 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Wow, I just so happen to be in Columbia for the weekend of the Mizzou-Furman game. I may just have to show up wearing my AppState jersey...or at least something derisive about purple schools...xlolx

Seriously though, I'll be in the stands and it would be nice to see a good game.

Give em hell Paladins.

CharlestonAppFan
June 25th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Wow, I just so happen to be in Columbia for the weekend of the Mizzou-Furman game. I may just have to show up wearing my AppState jersey...or at least something derisive about purple schools...xlolx

Seriously though, I'll be in the stands and it would be nice to see a good game.

Give em hell Paladins.

Sorry but I think you'll be at Furman's stadium by yourself there bud xnodx

Uncle Buck
June 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I know i got in on this late, but athlete to athlete, App matches up the best with ECU.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM

ditto

I agree.

South Florida looks to be a good bit worse than they have been the last few years and Wisconsin looks to be a little bit better.

The reason I'd go with UW before USF is because Wofford plays USF in the first game of the year and I think it'll take a few games for Wofford's new QB and RB to get a rhythm going. If Wofford could swap the dates of the USF and UW dates I'd go with USF. They are still two very good opportunities to get wins over BCS teams, though.

AlphaSigMD
June 25th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Sorry but I think you'll be at Furman's stadium by yourself there bud xnodx

I really hope you are being sarcastic. xlolx

Just in case though, I have included a brief geography lesson.

1. The University of Missouri is located in Columbia, Missouri. I will be there in September, hopefully attending the game.

2. Furman University is in Greenville, South Carolina. This is not to be confused with Columbia, South Carolina which is where the University of South Carolina is located.

CharlestonAppFan
June 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I really hope you are being sarcastic. xlolx

Just in case though, I have included a brief geography lesson.

1. The University of Missouri is located in Columbia, Missouri. I will be there in September, hopefully attending the game.

2. Furman University is in Greenville, South Carolina. This is not to be confused with Columbia, South Carolina which is where the University of South Carolina is located.

Nope totally missed that bro :o it's a short drive from Columbia SC to G-vegas so I was in the SC mindset xthumbsupx Sorry bout that one...long day at the office yesterday watching the stock market rejoice and puke all at the same time xeekx

elonjunky
June 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM

Sure, App won 6 times and lost more than double that many. Those Wake teams that App beat combined for 15 wins total (that's near as many wins as App had in 2006). Add to that that App never beat a Wake team that had a winning record.

Elon might be able to score some, but we won't beat them. And just because App beat some bad Wake teams (and lost to plenty of bad Wake teams) doesn't mean we can, or will, be able to make any noise. Wake is no longer a bad or mediocre team like they were in the 80s and 90s.

I am a Elon fan since the 2008 season and I am impressed with how coach Limbo is doing every year getting better and stronger last year no slip at Liberty they are in the national playoffs and I think that was because they didn't use the speedy running back Jamal Shuman when Brandon Newsome was not hitting the holes with the vision he needed to be. Don't get me wrong when you run for almost 1000 yards you are doing your job but they put in shuman and he was getting 5 or 6 yards a pop not 1 or 2 they seen that like I did from the stands but stayed with the plan all the way to the lost. when that win will put you in the playoffs it worth tring it's not like the kid had not shown he can play he had resently named player of the week with 166 yards. All I'm saying is that every time I read a gophoenix post you are puttint Elon down saying what they can't do get it fixed dude see you at the next gamexsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

elonjunky
June 26th, 2009, 07:38 PM

I want to know what team you're supporting. I see the "GO PHEONIX" words, but I swear you're always routing against ELON. I think you're a part-time fanatic which is okay, but give out PROPS to ELON at least every once in awhile. xrolleyesx xoopsx

gophoenix
June 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I want to know what team you're supporting. I see the "GO PHEONIX" words, but I swear you're always routing against ELON. I think you're a part-time fanatic which is okay, but give out PROPS to ELON at least every once in awhile. xrolleyesx xoopsx

Ok Mr. 10 posts, you're right. I am just a part time fanatic.

DLS
June 29th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I am a Elon fan since the 2008 season and I am impressed with how coach Limbo is doing every year getting better and stronger last year no slip at Liberty they are in the national playoffs and I think that was because they didn't use the speedy running back Jamal Shuman when Brandon Newsome was not hitting the holes with the vision he needed to be.

not trying to be the grammar police but i do believe atleast names should spelled correctly especially coaches.

ASUMountaineer
June 29th, 2009, 10:29 AM

xlolx

If there's anything Go Phoenix is NOT it's a part time junky. Speaking of, you just became an Elon fan in 2008...xeyebrowx Just sayin...Go Phoenix and I don't always see eye-to-eye but's he bleeds maroon and gold and hates the black and gold. :D

elonjunky
June 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Ok Mr. 10 posts, you're right. I am just a part time fanatic.

Yes, only 10 post mainly because I spent most of 2007 and all of 2008 home games in the stands and even a few away games. You see I love the game of football highschool college and pro xpeacexxpeacex. Then I came across this site FCS football right up my alley I mostly read what was being said with out responding but reading you very rearly reading positive promotion of the team you are said to,,,,, I mean it's what ever. I hope to see you at the game, I'm sure we will have the same goal in mind an ELON victory 10 post or not

SIGNED JUST FAN xbowxxbowxxbowx

gophoenix
June 30th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Yes, only 10 post mainly because I spent most of 2007 and all of 2008 home games in the stands and even a few away games. You see I love the game of football highschool college and pro xpeacexxpeacex. Then I came across this site FCS football right up my alley I mostly read what was being said with out responding but reading you very rearly reading positive promotion of the team you are said to,,,,, I mean it's what ever. I hope to see you at the game, I'm sure we will have the same goal in mind an ELON victory 10 post or not

SIGNED JUST FAN xbowxxbowxxbowx

I have missed a number of games over the past two years from being abroad during football season, but then either watch on the net or listen on the radio. Before that, I missed 5 home games since 1993 and went to every away game from 1999-2003.

I like Lembo. I like where the program has gone after seeing the demise after 2000 first hand at every game. But I am also a realist. I would like to see us go 11-0, but I just don't see it happening and after smack talking year after year to be burned by it during the Seagraves and Hamilton years will put lots of perspective on what you say and how you view it all.

xlolx

If there's anything Go Phoenix is NOT it's a part time junky. Speaking of, you just became an Elon fan in 2008...xeyebrowx Just sayin...Go Phoenix and I don't always see eye-to-eye but's he bleeds maroon and gold and hates the black and gold. :D

Thanks man! It's all in good fun anyway. I'm sure 99% of us here could easily have a drink and grill out before and after the game together despite all the "hard" feelings during that game :)

gophoenix
June 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Just realized UNC is playing both The Citadel and Georgia Southern after playing McNeese, what, last year?

Think it is completely messed up that they won't schedule any in state people like Elon, App or Western.....

AlphaSigMD
June 30th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Just realized UNC is playing both The Citadel and Georgia Southern after playing McNeese, what, last year?

Think it is completely messed up that they won't schedule any in state people like Elon, App or Western.....

Agreed. It's just more proof that institutions like UNC are built on a fragile sense of pride and self-entitlement that could crumble at a moments notice. I don't think they could bear the shame of losing to another NC school simply because they refuse to acknowledge that other schools have any merit whatsoever.

biggie
July 1st, 2009, 08:16 AM

Believe all but one ACC team has 2 FCS games scheduled.

gophoenix
July 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Believe all but one ACC team has 2 FCS games scheduled.

Wow that is Crazy:
BC: Northeastern
Clemson: Coastal Carolina
Duke: Richmond, NC Central
FSU: Jackson St
GT: Jackson St
Maryland: James Madison
Miami: Florida A&M
UNC: The Citadel, Georgia Southern
NC State: Murray State, Gardner-Webb
Virginia: William & Mary
VT:
Wake: Elon

NC State and UNC playing 2. At least NC State, Duke and Wake will play in-state people.....

PhoenixSupreme
July 2nd, 2009, 11:00 PM
I like Lembo. I like where the program has gone after seeing the demise after 2000 first hand at every game. But I am also a realist. I would like to see us go 11-0, but I just don't see it happening and after smack talking year after year to be burned by it during the Seagraves and Hamilton years will put lots of perspective on what you say and how you view it all.

Ah the Seagraves and Hamilton years....

I'm a realist too. You expect your team to win the winnable games and pull out a few upsets in between, but in reality every team slips sometimes. I agree with your earlier posts, in that I'd like to see the Phoenix win against Wake, but I don't expect it. I'd just love to see the upset so I can smack talk some Deacon friends of mine:D

I think the Samford game is also a great sleeper upset pick. (I'm just trying to go against the chic Appy or Wofford pick.)